He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
No picture uploaded.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Short review.

Incredibly well balanced dipa. Appearance is standard IPA amber...thick head...not too much lacing on my sample. Biscuity with plenty of grapefruit, raisin bread, and hop kick. Big malty start with tremendous hop finish. Great mouthfeel...thick and lingering. Highly recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing brew; I can't believe that I passed on the opportunity to engage its wonder on more occasions than I care to recount.

Apocalypse bronze, it flows through the glass eclipsing to a billowing head of clouds that surrender ridiculous amounts of lace in its wake.

The smell is very complex, but you can immediately tell that the malt and hop character are overdone in spades. Yes, the bottle declares it, but yes, the bottle delivers. Sugary, biscuity and so citrusy that I can't wait to drink it.

The best thing I can say about the taste is balance. Despite the over-aggressive attempt at creating something exclusive to the DIPA billing, it comes off so balanced that it amazes me. I'm detecting an incredible malt presence in the form of honey glazed donuts sprinkled with sugar, but the massive amounts of grapefruit pith and piny aromas come through on the back end and tickle the throat with a cunning reminder that you are drinking something very unique, and special.

This beer is giving me goosebumps. On second thought, I'm breaking out in a cold sweat. Delusional maybe; as Jim beckons his mother in the smoke-filled Whiskey a Go Go. IPA, I want to drink you. Industry, I want to (****) you... yeaaaahhhh. Shmaltz Brewing lives up to its kosher status. Engaging, timely and remarkably unrestrained, this is one brewery that became a leader in the absence of leadership. I demanded an IPA and they delivered without instruction. Thank you, my friend, for carrying a message to Garcia.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Not what you would expect from a DIPA. More sweet and malt flavors than presence of Hops. Tastes like a better and cleaner version of Great Divide Hibernation Ale. Very enjoyable beer but a bit of a disappointment if you are looking for a hop bomb from your DIPA. If you are open to the experience of something different and are not fixed on a hop bomb, a very good and enjoyable alternative.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

I tried a bomber of this brew.

A-red/brown color with a 1 finger head that didn't last too long. OK lacing. Moderately carbonated.

S: sweet malt smell with hints of nuts and bread. Not much of a hop smell.

T: Bimodal forces of hops and malts. Strong character with bitter hops and sweet to strong malts in the aftertaste.

M: light carbonated mouthfeel ending in a dry bitter battle.

D: This is a pretty good hoppy beer. I haven't had too many beers of this style. I'm not as impressed as the majority of the other reviewers, but I would buy this beer again. Good taste.

This was a solid big beer. I figured that was a good way to open this. while I liked this beer, I wasn't blown away by any means. being a lover of all things hops, I definitely felt a big let down.

pouring this into a plastic pub cup from our speakeasy tour (we're watching the allstar game as true to being there as possible), I'll admit that the serving style was not ideal. None the less, it poured a deep amber with a solid head on it that took a good while to recede. to say this looked syrupy coming out of the bottle would be a large understatement.

I picked up a touch of the rye from the nose, but more hops than anything... as is to be expected from a DIPA! But where'd all the hops go when it hit my lippy lips? I got a blast of malts and mostly rye malts at that. Not a bad thing, but after smelling this beer, that was not at all what I was expecting. it was sweet and creamy, but the hops bitterness that I was looking for turned into nothing more than a bit of a bite in the back of the mouth. malty malty, to say the least.

This really did feel good going down though, I'm absolutely obligated to say that much. it was nice and creamy, not overly heavy. as for the feel, it was enjoyable, but I have to say that sharing half a bomber was definitely enough for me. This is one of my favorite styles and while it was a nice showing, I wasn't really interested in more of it!

I have to say I suspect that we may have had an older bottle of this, and if I've left an inaccurate representation of this beer, I apologize. This is not entirely what I was expecting though.

4.91/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a bottle into a glass. Appearance is solid with a golden amber color. The smell will give the drinker a nosefull of malt with a slight hint of honey and caramel. The taste is incredibly difficult to beat with the rye infusion. The sensation of the caramel comes through with the initial taste as well with a delayed aftertaste. This is an incredibly flavorful beer that can only be beat by He'Brew's R.I.P.A on Rye which is much more difficult to find on shelves.

This should be labeled a Barleywine.

A: Deep deep burnt orange with some sweet honey hues in the light. Moderate lacing and no head. Pretty.

S: Plenty of malt upfront masked in alcoholic phenols with the hops hiding somewhere in there. DIPA eccentric.

T: Caramel sweet malt, special B without a doubt and I am a bit unsure where the Rye is because it doesnt stick out. Hops are a little bit more noticeable really as an earthy bitter piece than the beauty of pine and citrus which is absent. The alcohol is a lot more prevalent than in the aroma making it very boozy and off putting.

M: Salty with moderate carbonation. It really is bittersweet as the label says.

D: Just good, dont think I could finish the bomber myself, should be split.

Overall: Not what I expected from a DIPA more like a barleywine without doubt. The more you drink it, the more you like it. Not bad, probably wont buy again.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

A- Dark amber color with a huge fluffy head that will stay around for a while. When I put it up to the light it has a slight red glow to it.

S- Strong malty scent, with a little bit of the hops coming through as you dive your nose in a few times. You can smell the caramelized sugars very well.

T- Very strong bitter to it, with the alcohol coming through a bit. You have to search for the hops but once you found them it is a very well balanced sweet/bitter ratio.

M- Medium carbonation and body that doesn't distract from the flavors.

O- Great beer that really is a wonderful double I.P.A.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Nice amber color, clear, good head
-- label design is a little cluttered but has an old school broadway marquis look which I like. With their current accomplishments, they are either being very modest as it does not stand out on the packaging or their awards need to be more prominent

S: Deep malt smell with a sweetness and hops smell

T: Rich malty rye taste initially finished with hops on the back end but it is not so hoppy, as in some beers, that can turn off some drinkers

M: Clean

O: Great Rye IPA. It would interesting to see how it would age over time. Being an IPA says it wouldn't do well, but with a 10% alcohol content, it might mellow out quiet nicely

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured (a bit too aggressively) from a 22 oz. bottle:

A - Wow! A huge 3 finger head that seems to have a life of its own. Tiny carbonation bubbles swirl around very similar to a Guinness. After the pour settles down, very small bubbles slowly rise through a dark chestnut brew making the liquid look very thick.

S - Malt hits the nose followed closely by a good bit of floral hops. Not much in the way of citrus is detected, but there is an earthy quality on the backend.

T - This is a COMPLEX beer! Both the malts and hops play hide-and-seek with each sip. Bitterness is out front, but is tamed by the sweet malt just before becoming too bitter. Carbonation is barely present on the tongue and the alcohol is only detectable by the warmth of the throat on the swallow.

M - Thick without being syrupy...smooth without leaving a coating on the tongue. Very little aftertaste.

D - This one is quite impressive and really needs to be sipped to enjoy it. I find that the flavor changes as it warms and tends to be less bitter than when first poured.

What a beer! A very complex blend (is it the Rye that makes this DIPA so different?). This isn't your average DIPA.

I will certainly look out for more of this and pick it up when available. A complex beer at $4.99 a bomber? OH YEAH!

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

This is my second Hebrew. Tried the Jewbalation first and quite impressed. This RIPA is another solid effort.

Attractive deep copper color with a nice creamy head that dissipates to a decent collar and nice lacing.

Hoppy nose, followed by a suprisingly, creamy muthfeel. Scorched orange peel and hoppy bitterness on the finish, all nicely balanced. THe 10% ABV is a seductive presence.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Very interesting color for a beer, a deep brown almost ruby color. Pours with a relatively healthy tan head. The initial appearance definitely piqued my curiosity.

Smell: The high alcohol content was apparent from the smell. Also picked up the hops quite a bit.

Taste: Immediately noticed both the bitterness and the alcohol similar to the smell, although the alcohol was less apparent in the aftertaste and the hops much much more prevalent. I was surprised how much the taste changed over the course of a sip, it finished very dry and bitter. Aftertaste is almost like a different beer than the initial taste.

Mouthfeel: Very, very dry beer.

Overall: This might just not be my beer style, but I've had a number of high ABV beers and found the alcohol was not masked in the smell or initial taste. Also very dry and hoppy and I didn't detect a lot of other flavors, although I need to ponder it some more as I finish this beer. Might just be having a hard time characterizing it but was not a standout for me.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz bomber into a Berkshire Pint glass.

I'm not sure if this is typical of the style but this beast pours a dark reddish color which reminds me of iced tea. Even with an aggressive pour, initially there is very little head that materializes on the pour. I wait a few seconds and sure enough a very frothy, very dense milk-colored head appears and recedes almost within a blink of an eye. Upon first sniff there is a wonderful aroma of grapefruit citrus, however, after a few minutes the hop smell retreats into the background and a very sweet aroma of toffee flavor emerges. The first sip of this beer greets me with an extremely sharp bitterness, which kind of surprised me, although not in a bad way. It was more like an in-your-face kind of a way. Anyways, after the initial bitterness there is a really sweet buttery flavor which gives way back to a sweet malt backbone. I'm not sure of the alcohol content, but it's very evident and kind of hot. It finishes kind of resiny but overpowering in any way. The mouthfeel is pretty oily, which in my mind make it an extremely drinkable beer!

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

This is a nice clear caramel-amber with and ivory head that sticks around bot the glass and for the test of time...it was still there when only a little beer was left in the glass. Smeel is very typial for double IPA, malt with stong hop undertones along with the slight astringency I almost expect from a higher alcohol beer. The taste is very nice, a hint of alcohol backed by bitterness and herbal hops and a little malt. The mouthfeel is thicker than a standard IPA, and it fits very wel with the taste. However, I dont think I'd want too many of these...it's a pretty big beer and should be treated with respect.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company