He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros

tofuspeedstar, Aug 07, 2012

narwhal, Nov 06, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

This is just great beer. It's 3:46 in the afternoon on a Thursday, and I'm supposed to be at work right now, but someone was kind enough to offer me half the bottle of this fine beer, as she is drinking the other half.

I must say: I'm glad I decided not to work. Unfortunately, we only have one bottle.

Get it. Drink it.

jakdracula, Mar 08, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Upon the first few sips, I was quite impressed. It's rich and complex while packing a real punch. This is high on hops and spice. However a few more gulps and the beer takes on a heavy syrupy feel. I could not finish my poor. It's a bit much. Good for a sample, but not recommended even in the 12 oz Belgian pour.

djspe, Jul 06, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

freyguy10, Nov 22, 2012

pinebarons, Apr 29, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer!

Slightly "thick", nice citrus hop balance and some added rye spiciness. This is a smooth, delicious beer! This one of my "top 5" beers.

If I were to be stranded in the mountains for any amount of time and I had to select one of 5 beers to keep me company, I would have to select RIPA! This is in the Sculpin and Pliny category.

Oliver_Twist, May 15, 2014

Jcpilotak, Jul 28, 2014

lunarnorth, Sep 24, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In tulip glass with Saint Agur blue cheese

A-dark amber thin head which disappear to a ring

S-carmel,toffee, fig?

T-malt,carmel,butter,sweet malt (rye malt?, wow,really whatever I love it),slight alcohol but nothing like you would expect at the ABV,hop bitterness at the end

M-syrupy texture,stays on the tongue almost oily

O-this is one of my new favorites, this went AWESOME with blue cheese

brewmyster, Feb 05, 2012

doyle138, Oct 02, 2012

JohnAtl, Sep 16, 2013

skullforest, Dec 19, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

For some reason, I've never been a fan of He'Brew's line of beers. Unfortunately, the R.I.P.A. isn't an exception.

It's a solid beer--not offensive, not something that I regret buying, and not something that I'd actively avoid. The smell is also amazing and almost perfect. The initial taste is also very good. However, the aftertaste is, at least to me, terrible--strongly (and unpleasantly) alcoholic, overly coppery, and somewhat unpleasant. While this is a double or imperial IPA, it doesn't bring the "smoothness" that is inherent in the best of the style.

He'Brew is still a brewery that I'll follow... they try, they experiment, and they're going to eventually produce an amazing beer. This just isn't it.

Richard-Carla, Feb 21, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Pair this with a fat Reuben sandwich and you got yourself a great lunch..

This is a great beer, my first He'Brew actually.
Pours a dark orangeny brown with not too much head.
Smells sweet with a beatiful citrus bready aroma.
Nice and sweet at first then transitioning into sweet and spicy hoppiness then the RYE , Hell yea!
A little thick but very enjoyable.
Could drink a few of these...but maybe I shouldn't..Ahh what the hell why not.?

pattyhopp, May 18, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large tulip

A - dark amber, semi-opaque, with a 1" head which dissipates quickly

S - complex malts, hops are also present, figs, ripe fruits, definitely a unique dipa

T - very balanced, one of the more complex taste profiles for a dipa, following the smell there are more ripe fruits, very quad-like, but with an excellent measure of tasty hops thrown in

M - creamy, lightly carbonated, easy drinker for the abv

O - a well executed and crafted beer, will definitely be in the regular rotation

beer19, Apr 28, 2012

IanMcCaul, Aug 22, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

steenface, Jun 27, 2013

death184, Jul 31, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Carmel, cloves, and licorice. Oh my! The label downplays the hops and malts when it advertised "BREWED WITH AN OBSCENE AMOUNT OF MALTS & HOPS". This is a beer with lots of flavor. Nice head. The color will make any passerby think that I’m drinking a cool glass of Grade C maple syrup. Soft to the palate, but the favors liven the taste buds. This is a top beer, no doubt, but a little to rich at the en for my weak palate.

dday1231, Dec 02, 2011

lazarogamio, Nov 20, 2012

ccbell59, Mar 01, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

codygh, Jul 03, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +17%

this beer is amazing. such expert pairing of malt, rye flavor and deep rich hop aroma. rarely seen a malty ipa as good as this.

a - deep, dark brown with med ipa head.

s - hoppy, malty notes.

t - can't beat this combination. rich, thick malty flavor with deep, rich hop aroma mixed in. good sugars, not too sweet of finish. i can't believe how well this high alcohol beer goes down. i think i've drank one in about 2-3 min... oops!

m - great rich malty ipa body.

o - a must buy for any ipa or malty ale lover.

EQueezy, Jul 24, 2013