He'Brew Origin Pomegranate Ale - Shmaltz Brewing Company

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.00% ABV

Celebrating our second decade of brewing, Shmaltz
Brewing presents ORIGIN Pomegranate Ale. A
renewal of our original HE'BREW Beer covenant,
brewed once again after 10 years with the juice
of over 10,000 luscious Pomegranates. ORIGIN is a
complex, rich and balanced Imperial Amber Ale
with a truly unique character. The only
Pomegranate Strong Ale in the country!

(Beer added by: ElGordo on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Origin Pomegranate Ale Alström Bros

BennyThon, Jan 14, 2014
3.39/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark copper with blonde highlights into my glass. Lots of head and lacing.

Upon opening the bottle, the aromas made an immediate impact upon my olfactory gland. Wheat, caramel and a hell of a hop bill. Pomegranate juice also in nose.

Molasses, caramel, toasted bread and a touch of pomegranate make up the taste of this excellent beer. The hops don't have a chance due to the excellent malt bill.

I have mixed thoughts about the mouthfeel. It's "sour" and that could be the pom juice in play. Some caramel, etc lingering though.

Not a bad choice for the price, which is much lower than their other high ABV offerings. Just not impressive enough to warrant a second round.

Brad007, Jan 13, 2014

jaydoc, Jan 05, 2014

drbenderdo, Jan 02, 2014

LMH88, Dec 27, 2013

humulusphile, Dec 12, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

Picked this up mostly because it was $5 for a bomber and I was curious about the rendering of pomegranate. I should have noted more carefully that it said amber ale on the label, seeing as how I have rarely ever liked anything in the style.
It's pretty on the pour, that much is certain. For me, the beer falls apart from there. There's a soapyness in the smell that extends to the flavor. Pomegranate flavor is lost in here. There's an edge to the bitterness that kinda reminds me of biting into pomegranate seeds but that's about it. Mouthfeel is thin. The overall experience is that of drinking over brewed, over sweetened black tea with a shot and a half of vodka thrown in for a boozy kick. I won't be getting this again and I can't think of anyone I could warmly recommend this to.

ommegangpbr, Dec 10, 2013

akttr, Dec 02, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

JennuhJak, Dec 02, 2013

BColton1, Nov 30, 2013

sneaks2210, Nov 29, 2013
2.54/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Bottle label identifies it as an "imperial amber ale" so I'm reviewing as such. 8% ABV confirmed. Brown glass bomber with flashy uninteresting label art and branded pry-off pressure cap purchased at Whole Foods HQ and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live Expectations are average given the brewery, which has yet to impress me and has put out some messy brews in the past.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of pale light khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Has a good luscious consistency and a fairly soft complexion. Head retention is average - about two minutes. Uneven inconsistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a dark auburn/some sort of pomegranate red. Nontransparent and non-translucent. No yeast particless are visible. Not particularly vibrant.

Overall, it looks pretty decent, but isn't amazing for an imperial amber. Not unique or special. I'd prefer it brighter. No egregious flaws here. I'm optimistic.

Sm: Ripe juicy pomegranate fruit. Surprisingly devoid of esters. Has a bizarrely powerful almost barleywine-like malty sweetness. Maybe even a tinge of oxidation? I do pick up a hint of cardboard. Yeah, it's way too malt-reliant for an imperial amber, with hardly any hop profile. I do get floral hops and fruity hops, but the hop character here lacks depth. Caramel. A bit on the sweeter side, with inadequate hop bitterness to balance it. Yeast attenuation seems way too low based on the sheer amount of sugars evident in the aroma.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. It's quite clean. I'm pretty unimpressed with the build; it's not quite right for an amber and not quite right for a fruit ale.

An inoffensive aroma of below average strength. I'm a bit suspicious of this.

T: Cardboard up front. Caramel. Toffee. Bready malts. Is this sounding more like a bad barleywine than an imperial amber? That's because it tastes like it.

Yes, there's a bit of pomegranate fruit, but it gets buried. Not juicy, luscious, or really even that fruity. It may as well be pomegranate flavour/extract.

Too sugary and sweet, and above all too malty. A poor build for an imperial amber. There's hardly any hop presence; all we get is some generic uninteresting floral and fruity character. I can't guess the hop strain, but it's obvious the choice of hops here is subpar - and downright wrong for an imperial amber. It really needs some hop bitterness to curb the sloppy maltiness.

A messy schizophrenic brew that doesn't really fit into imperial amber or fruit beer style conventions. I can see why it's currently classified as a strong ale, but let's be fair - there just isn't any focus or direction here. Not a gestalt or even cohesive build. Imbalanced and underwhelming. Poor depth of flavour. Below average duration and intensity of flavour. Complicates what should be a simple easily executed concept. Lacks subtlety, intricacy, and nuance.

No yeast character comes through. I do pick up some alcohol presence.

I'm not a big fan of this one. Hot damn, those hop notes are timid.

Mf: Smooth and wet up front, but the cardboard-y notes render it a bit coarser and dryer on the climax, which is unwelcome. Bad body. A bit too thick. A biteen overcarbonated. Not juicy or luscious or creamy. Unrefreshing. Weak. Poor presence on the palate. Badly executed texture. It doesn't suit the flavour profile well at all. A bit gushed.

Not astringent, oily, crisp, hot, or boozy.

Dr: I like the idea of a pomegranate imperial amber, but the execution just isn't good. For starters, even the base is badly done and just isn't hoppy enough or balanced enough to satisfy imperial amber conventions. Overall, it has an unbecoming artificial feel and taste to it that suggest artificial flavours/extracts were used. This is yet another disappointing beer from Shmaltz that I wouldn't recommend to friends.

C-

kojevergas, Nov 21, 2013

IRONRakkasan, Nov 20, 2013

core42, Nov 17, 2013

Flathead_Monster, Nov 15, 2013
3.39/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: I'm going to make an attempt to factor in ocular fatigue with my judgement here. First, however, I must address the head. Poured right down the middle of a snifter only to produce a one finger head that dissipated fairly quickly, yet leaves a thin, yet pleasant cover over what remains in the glass. If you're searching for a nice frothy amber beer, perhaps look elsewhere. The high alcohol content does not allow head retention to be the highlighting factor of this brew's appearance. Lacing, however, is wonderful for the style. As far as color goes, the amber is present, but there is a certain brownness about it. Maybe hues of yellow. Fuck, the lighting in here is weird. Every time I look at the damn thing it's a different color. I swear it's fucking with me...

S: What the hell ever even is a pomdegramite? I smell fruit, but like a dirty fruit. Like, the fruit I've seen being sold in the dirty streets of a cloudy city in South America. Yeah, I'm sure it tastes good, but it kinda looks sketchy, ya barefooted bimbo. Nah, just kidding. It's alright. Not overpowering. Just how I like my infusions. The malt aroma is the second most present schmell. Pretty yummy. Pretty standard. After all, this is an amber ale.

T: Wait, what's the ABV on this sonuvabitch? That was my first question. The initial taste reveals very little as to the strength of this beer. Then the aftertaste kicks in, reassuring you that it's there, whilst sweeping any hint of the amber ale base under the rug and off the palate. (8.00%, bee tee dubs lol) If anything can be said about this beer, it's that it's ambitious. It wants to be better, but mixing pomegranate and an imperial amber is not exactly intuitive. It's ok.

M: It's smooth and very drinkable. This beer is light on the tongue and oh my shit fuck off spotify i dont want to upgrade to premium fuck a goat and leaves with grace. Usually, I equate ambers with being somewhat thicker, but the thinning effect of the alcohol must be considered.

O: My mother always says, "Remember there will always be those greater and lesser than yourself." Certainly the case with this beer. It's just ok. Props for brewing outside intuition, though. And more props for keeping the flavors from being overwhelming.

AllForAugust, Oct 28, 2013

deac83, Aug 27, 2013

Eric908, Aug 17, 2013

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 13, 2013
3.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a clear copper with a hint of red. Head was a solid finger-plus of off-white, with decent lingering and fair lacing.

S: Sweet and malty. Also fruity, but I can't clearly say it's pomegranate.

T: Heavy on the sweet malt, maybe a little too sweet as it's not well balanced. Tart fruitiness is also evident, but again I wouldn't be able to identify it as pomegranate if the label didn't tell me so. The hops are faint, and not enough to make up for the heavy sweetness.

M: Crisp and refreshing -- if it weren't for the boozy presence, I'd have marked it even higher.

O: In spite of it being heavy on the sweetness and the pomegranate not being the star, it was a remarkably drinkable beer (which could be a dangerous thing, given the 8% ABV).

TappaKeggaBrew, Aug 12, 2013