1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

He'Brew Origin Pomegranate Ale - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Origin Pomegranate AleHe'Brew Origin Pomegranate Ale

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.00% ABV

Celebrating our second decade of brewing, Shmaltz
Brewing presents ORIGIN Pomegranate Ale. A
renewal of our original HE'BREW Beer covenant,
brewed once again after 10 years with the juice
of over 10,000 luscious Pomegranates. ORIGIN is a
complex, rich and balanced Imperial Amber Ale
with a truly unique character. The only
Pomegranate Strong Ale in the country!

(Beer added by: ElGordo on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Origin Pomegranate Ale Alström Bros
3.56/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like this better than most other pomegranate beers out there, but it still has that characteristic Hebrew malt heaviness, even in a beer where it doesn't belong. all their beers seem to have this going on, even the session beer, its just a weird trademark than makes some of the beers not as good as they should be. this pours shiny copper in color like a new penny, boasting a half inch of dense white foam, although it fades out fast. the nose is sweet and tart from the fruit juice, and there is a hearty grain backing, dense like a bran muffin. the cereals and fruit work well in taste, like a bowl of granola or something, this beer has that sort of filling vibe. the fruit is subtle and complementary. alcohol is more intense and up front than it probably should be, but it is just a reminder of this brews strength. a good morning beer, and a good hangover beer. not epic, but better than the other Hebrew stuff ive had for the most part.

StonedTrippin, Aug 03, 2013

mwbrady12, Jul 29, 2013

GratefulEdd, Jul 24, 2013

jzlyo, Jul 08, 2013
3.36/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sampled from a 22oz bottle in a chalice. Purchased at Triangle Wine.

Beautiful copper color with a reddish hue and a small beige head. Aroma is a mix of sweet malt and pomegranate. The flavor though leans too heavily toward the sweet malt. The alcohol is pretty evident too. The pomegranate adds to a lingering bitterness but doesn't do much else. The mouth feel is moderate and the carbonation is as well.

Maybe it's just not my style but I found this one too malty with the pomegranate not bringing enough to the table.

GJ40, Jul 05, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

General - I used to live in Latham, NY, no more than 20 minutes away from the He'Brew brewery in Clifton Park, NY. When I was there (up to around 2006) I hadn't heard of this brewery. This is the first time that I'm trying any He'Brew beer. I poured this directly from the fridge into a SA Perfect Pint Glass. It was too chilled to enjoy it properly so I'm leaving i out for a few minutes to warm up before I review it.

Appearance - SRM color is around a 9, a touch light even for a standard Amber Ale let alone an imperial amber. The head is a light tan, doesn't hold that well or put up much lacing.

Aroma - There is a definite hint of pomegranate in the aroma, I like it because as far as the scent is concerned it's not overpowering. There is also a very nice malty background to this aroma. A slight hop scent, but this is much more balanced on the malt side of the scale, as I expect in any amber ale.

Taste - So there is a touch of pomegranate but just like the aroma it's not that present. It's more of just a hint of it, if I didn't know it was pomegranate I would be searching for what fruit it is. I like that aspect, it's nice when it's not overpowering. There is a strong maltiness in the flavor that is nicely rounded out by a touch of hop bitterness on the back end. There is a lot going on in this flavor, it seems like the more it warms the more bitter it becomes. There doesn't seem to be a lot of residual sweetness left in this, just a touch of it, which explains the 8.0% ABV. I feel like my palette is going to be fried after this big 22 oz. So many flavors are being thrown around.

Mouthfeel - A little thin for me. There really isn't any category for an Imperial Amber in BJCP but if you look at the American Amber category it should still be a little thicker. There is a good amount of carbonation for an amber style but just a little disappointing.

Overall - Not bad, not great. This is one of those beers that I would open up with some friends and say "hey let's try something different". I think that may be the best way to describe it, different. It's not what I would expect from either a pomegranate ale OR an imperial amber. I don't think that I'll be picking up this one again anytime soon.

BeerEngineer, Jun 16, 2013

Durge, Jun 15, 2013

Rihup, Jun 04, 2013

Kmat10, May 28, 2013

Slatetank, May 26, 2013
3.36/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours out an auburn color with not much sticking to the surface, in the line of foam. A thick-ish ring remains. Decent clarity. Looks drinkable.

Smells like dark berry and slightly-turned malts. Insinuation of pomegranante is duly noted. Moreso, notes of raisin, fig, and caramel. Has a tropical bent to it, but it almost smells like an Old Ale with maltiness reminiscent of an English sipper.

More of that English maltiness, with perhaps a touch of Fuggle. Earthy and only mildly fruity. Again, pomegranate is a bit of a stretch, but I'll stick to their word. It's really missing a lot. A bit cardboard-y. It's either super-hard to get this beer fresh around these parts, or everytime I drink one, I'm severly disappointed by the way it's seemed to have turned. Burnt toffee in the finish. Here I go again...

Has a mild sudsiness and a bushy body. A little slick, too. It's easy enough to finish. I must say, I like how the alcohol barely creeps up (for a Strong Ale, mind you).

I repeatedly shake my head after trying to enjoy this beer. So many times now, it has failed me. Has it failed you, too?

thecheapies, May 21, 2013

kingmaker, May 21, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

lucasj82, May 15, 2013

leftstagebrew, May 13, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours amber with light carbonation, and a good head that presents itself and fades to a minimum. Lacks lacing.
Smells of malts, leathery to me, hint of tropical fruit/ the pomegranate.
Tastes a bit better than my nose was suggesting it would. An earthy/ woody bready goodness with a fruity blend (pomegranate indeed, and this fruit works well with beer here it seems). Hops poke through. Not complex by any means, but i like what is there. Herbal flavoring bordering on medicinal, but in a balanced way. I am stuffed-up while sampling this so maybe I'd have a lesser opinion without a probable cold! Not a favorite style, ambers in general, but somehow this imperial effort tastes better than many to me.
Feels smooth and creamy, unlike its appearance in my pint. Medium carbonation. I do enjoy the bitterness in the finish.

Id probably try this again. Unique in that it centers on pomegranate. Maybe i will try more bold ambers in general.

TBoneJones, May 10, 2013