Coney Island Lager - Shmaltz Brewing Company

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

Hybrid mashup of styles between European tradition, a very unusual malt bill and hops that nod strongly at American craft.

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2007)
Reviews by StoicBeast:
StoicBeast

08-07-2012 09:51:48 | More by StoicBeast
oberon

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured a deep auburn into a 1/2 liter stein with a thick slightly off white crown that left multiple rings of lace as it settled into a frothy mass.Alot of yeast and bread dough aromas with mild caramel sweetness and even more mild leafy hops.Flavors are yeast driven with sweetish pizza dough,drunken fruit, and caramel notes with the hops being lighter than expected.This is a yeast assertive amber lager but it's pretty damn good.

06-23-2012 22:16:28 | More by oberon
RoyalT

2.03/5  rDev -44.5%

Appearance – The Coney Island Lager is almost red with an orangish hue and not much of a head.

Smell – It sure doesn’t smell like lager. There’s a really cheap, soda-pop kind of aroma to this one coupled with a hint of medicine cabinet. I can barely pick up some nasty grain but other than that it doesn’t even smell like beer.

Taste – Egad, this is horrid. It is so sweet I feel like I’m chewing a piece of Juicy Fruit gum. There aren’t any hops in here, which is understandable, but the lack of grain and a good malt base is depressing.

Mouthfeel – This is a bit bigger than light-bodied with a fizzle of carbonation.

Sinkability – A stain on the Coney Island name.

12-20-2007 02:10:39 | More by RoyalT
BeerAdvocate

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue VII:

Brought to you by the people behind He'Brew, this hybrid mashup of European tradition boasts an unusual malt bill (eight), hops (six), a Czech Pils yeast, and dry-hopping with Cascades. Proceeds help Coney Island USA, a nonprofit that defends the honor of America's lost arts and culture.

Copper in color, bright, clear, and topped with an off-white foamy lace. Aroma is clean, beery, lagery, with some faint DMS, spicy herbal hop and some steeliness. Smooth and silky consistency, fluffy with a medium body and a crisp carbonation. Toasty malts up front with a moderate sweetness, some caramel, orange note, and dusting of herbal hop character. Powdery aspirin (thanks, Amarillo!). White grape skins. Crackery. Drying, bitey finish.

Love the concept and cause. The plus? The beer is pretty damn good too. Kudos to Shmaltz for coming up with the Coney Island Lager series. We need more lagers! Beer freaks and geeks rejoice!

09-13-2010 20:35:16 | More by BeerAdvocate

07-17-2012 01:18:40 | More by csmartin6
Beaver13

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -29%

12oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy light amber with a small off white head that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet toasted caramel and toffee malts.

The flavor is sweet toffee and caramel malts with a grassy bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation and a syrupy sweet texture.

Overall, I didn't care for it too much. Reminded me of an amped up Dos Equis.

10-03-2011 04:20:14 | More by Beaver13
BeerIsland

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%

Got this 22 oz bottle at Rick's in Alexandria; I've had a few of Jeremy's beers and have always thought they were pretty drinkable. I poured it into my standard 12 oz pils tasting glass; maybe not aggressively enough, there was a little head and that didn't last long. Left a sort of a scut in the middle. It smells nice, but faint. It's a hazy golden brown. I think the Coney Island is a decent tasting beer, a little bitier than the aroma would indicate. Aside from the tongue bubbles, it seems well balanced, with a perky, long lasting finish. After sitting a bit, it's a little less gassy, better. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to develop any more character. I'm thinking this bottle might be a little old.

Actually, this beer sort of reminds me of the Czech Amber I brewed with a fellow years back. I won 2 cases of homebrew at a private school auction (one of the dads was a dedicated homebrewer) and he gave me a recipe "fake book". I really wanted a hefty Czech type pils so I picked a complicated, whole grain recipe.

On the appointed day, I drove out to help with the brewing. I hadn't gotten near a home brewer or home brew set up in 15 years. He had a neat, outside farmhouse brewery and got us ready to go. Finally sensing my anticipation, he asked me what I wanted to drink. I said what ever he was having which, since it was the middle of the summer, was hoping it would be some exotic and glorious pilsner from the cellar. Well, it turned out to be homebrew barley wine mixed half and half with Coors Light. Go figure.

So I was brewing again! Well, it all came back to me, only worse. With the 2 of us, applying constant agitations and administrations, it was SIX hours till we pitched the yeast and had a chance to stand back. Sheeesh! As I blew out of the driveway, I felt like I was re-escaping all the sticky horrors I remembered.

Well, the farmhouse wasn't air conditioned and the fermentation was fast (so I heard over the phone, I wasn't going near the place again until it was pickup time) and the maker thought it might not be exactly what I was anticipating. And he was right; it was sort of an ale lager hybrid, kind of what I drinking now. Well, the Czech Amber Lager Ale is all gone but I still have, 10 years later, one bottle of the second case, oddly enough an extract barleywine. I like the Coney a little more now, on second thought.

10-31-2008 01:24:15 | More by BeerIsland
merlin48

Kentucky

22 oz bottle pours a clear orange amber body with a healthy almond head that is creamy and well retained. Some patchy lace left on the glass. Aroma of spicy hops, toasted caramel and fruity pear esters. Medium body and carbonation. Taste is a nice balance of earthy spicy hop bitterness and toasty caramel maltiness. A hint of red apple in the middle. Very approachable but not a pilsner.

08-13-2007 13:59:49 | More by merlin48
Billolick

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

22 ouncer, no freshness info to be had. Pours pretty clear, orange tinged amber, light tan head, lose frothy and gauzy, this one leaves nice webs of lacing. Light whole wheat Bready nose. Pleasant enough stuff. Nicely balanced with soft, drying hops coming on late. Nothing hugely special going on here, just balanced, smooth, drinkable, sessionable stuff.

11-20-2008 23:52:00 | More by Billolick
Mora2000

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to my brother for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy brown/orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the toffee and caramel malts with some grass notes mixed in. The beer also smells a little bit like iced tea. The flavor is tea, earth, grass and biscuit malts. Very easy to drink and the alcohol is completely hidden. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

05-07-2011 01:25:36 | More by Mora2000
magictrokini

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours clear gold with a medium white head. Lager aroma of yeast, sugar, some hops. Watery, corny taste at first, but comes back later with more hops. A sugary cereal taste is prevalent throughout. Not great, but not bad. More of a comntrived marketing gimmick

12-10-2008 22:46:26 | More by magictrokini
standardcherry

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

05-16-2012 15:51:27 | More by standardcherry
deaconsmith

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

A.-this is a outstanding lager.at 40* in a thick glass mug it had a peachy amber color and was very clear in the light.the head was very nice, about a inch and a half thick with a very good retention and lacing.

S.-the first smell was flowery/citrus' and a unusually strong hops aroma for a lager.over all a mild blend.

T.- this lager could almost pass for a wheat ale. yummy hoppy taste with a hint of weat and citrus. very well balanced and a definate signature twist im sure.

M.-the mouth feel @ 40* is really good..awsome in fact..very refreshing ..smooth and alive. feels good on the throat.

D.-a good drinkability..in fact you should definatly pick up a second one..

i was kind of reluctant on this one but it was a pleasant supprise. i recomend it

09-27-2008 19:39:37 | More by deaconsmith
juicebox

05-12-2013 22:54:27 | More by juicebox
MattyG85

4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into He'Brew pint glass.

Appearance: Bright amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Decent two fingers of off white head fades into a thin layer. Decent amount of lacing.

Smell: Lots of malts with plenty of caramel. Some of the malts smell lightly toasted. Big presence of Pilsner yeast. Hints of nuts and maybe a little rye. Also some grassy hops. Fairly complex and full aroma.

Taste: Like the smell, pretty complex and bold for a American lager. Big carnival of malts with lots of caramel, toffee, and toasty bread. Strong presence of Pilsner yeast. Has some nutty characteristics and a little hint of spice. Also some grassy and herbal hops lingering in the background. Tastes great.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp, smooth, and slightly chewy.

Overall: A nicely complex and very tasty lager. Very bold flavor and nicely balanced. On of the better American lagers out there.

09-24-2011 04:24:31 | More by MattyG85
briandaube

Delaware

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

08-11-2014 10:22:32 | More by briandaube
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours like a traditional amber lager, semi clouded nice khaki tan head forms minimal lacing between sips. Aroma fruity caramel malt notes, slightly spicy with a floral edge. Flavor has a dry back end with a bunch of upfront sweetness interesting blend, there are competing flavors here that don't seem to agree with each other spicy malts dry yeast strain American hop bitterness from teh cascades. I don't know, it's not my favorite. Mouthfeel is light bodied dry bitter harshness, carbonation is a bit spritzy making the mouthfeel rougher than it has to be. Drinkability overall for me, leaves me in confusion. Not an average style, I question the flavors I'm getting whether or not they work together...I'm going to try their hoppy pale lager.

09-25-2010 17:55:53 | More by WVbeergeek
IchLiebeBierZu

09-22-2013 16:39:32 | More by IchLiebeBierZu
glid02

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Had this at Steinbeck's in Atlanta.

Pours a good looking deep red-orange color that has a lighter shade on the outside of the beer. Head is one-finger of off-white foam that recedes into a patchy layer of bubbles and a thin ring around the glass. Not much lacing.

Smells of plastic-like hops with a decent amount of sweet malt.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slightly fruity hop flavors joined by odd-tasting malts. There's some off-flavor that I can't pinpoint, but if I had to try to describe it I'd say it was plasticky. Not totally a flavor-killer, but it certainly does nothing to make it really tasty.

Mouthfeel is good. It's thicker than I would've expected with good carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. Again, there's the off-flavor that I can't get past. I actually had a bit of trouble finishing this beer, and I really don't want another one.

Overall I was less than impressed. For some reason I've always steered clear of Schmaltz, and now I know why. This wasn't an absolutely terrible beer, but I can't see myself ever ordering one of these again. I'll try a few more of their beers, but I hope they get better.

12-09-2008 04:05:34 | More by glid02
rhoadsrage

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a crystal clear deep amber body with a thick yellowish off-white head that last a good bit. There is a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles that glide to the surface.

S- This beer has a pretty clean smell but the note of green pine hops with a faint grapefruit zest note increases as the beer warms.

T- This beer has a soft toasted malt flavor with a dry caramel malt note and a hint if biscuit coming through as it warms. There is a sulfury dry Noble hop bite finish with some pine resin flavors lingering after each sip.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a tight clean finish.

D- The malt is a bit soft in the smell but has some nice flavor. There is a good complexity to the grain bill with some big bitterness at the finish. It sounds exciting but I just found this beer a bit boring.

11-01-2007 21:04:16 | More by rhoadsrage

Nebraska

03-11-2012 08:15:52 | More by RDW
caddybuyer

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

A-Pours a veiled peach copper color with a huge eggshell head that craters nicely

S-Very little nose, but it came out of a cold fridge. Predominantly malts with very little hops detected

T-Grains and malt predominate with a clean finish. Fairly unremarkable...nothing great to report here but nothing bad. Probably holds its own with a decent mainstream lager like SA.

M-Fairly light bodied with balanced carbonation.

D-Pretty decent drinkability although I'm not likely to reach for another as I finish this up. Definately one to revisit and toss back on a summer day when quenching thirst gets higher marks than complexity.

03-26-2009 00:49:28 | More by caddybuyer