Coney Island Lager - Shmaltz Brewing Company

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2007

Hybrid mashup of styles between European tradition, a very unusual malt bill and hops that nod strongly at American craft.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coney Island Lager Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer has me laughing my ass off. Friend at the firehouse bar refers to a "Coney Island Beer" as one with all head and nothing else.

Not what i expected. beer form Coney island Stinks. This poured with a dark amber color, very little head and no lacing. odor is unremarkable, similar to and macro Irish Red. taste is somewhat pleasant though. Fuller than most lagers with a nice finish. A great option over Budweiser, Killians or othe macro's.

Bottle from River's Bend.

Poured clear amber color with a large frothy white head that mostly lasted with fair lacing. Moderate sour citrus aroma. Medium body with soft carbonation. Medium bittersweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

Drinkable smooth brew

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

I love the artwork on this whole line of bottles from Shmaltz.

Pours a coppery, somewhat hazey iced tea. Pretty quick, spritzy head and small, quick bubbles. Great toastd bread aroma mixed with some oolong tea leaf hops. Very crisp andild hoppy flavor profile. Tea and just a little mint goes very well with the toasted malts. Then there is a slow malty sweetness in the finish that linges with the bubbly carboation. Geeat dry, bubbly, malty sweet palate makes this beer insanely drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

I had this at a local bar, they just recently swapped the beer in to its rotation. It was clear with an amber color to it. It had a decent head and slightly bubbly.

This is a good lager that mixes hops in well. It's certainly a refreshing lager and league something of a tingly taste on the mouth. It's a very solid beer.

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a 1 pt 6 oz bottle into a Ayinger half-liter willibecker.
Deep copper in color. 1 finger creamy head so this leaves some beer remaining in the bottle. No obvious fragrance off the top. Initially great malty taste with a more hoppy taste that lingers afterward. I like the oily feel and also the oily lace left on the glass. The oiliness and low carbonation give a nice mouth feel.
Overall I enjoyed this beer and would probably have another. I had the opportunity to speak with one of their salesman at a beer dinner this past week in which he talked about Coney Island and what Schmaltz had put into this beer. I'm certain if he wouldn't have talked about this beer/brand I probably would have passed it by. A little pricey, but well worth the try.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

I had this in, of all places, a Burlesque Showcase/Oddities Museum. I think it fits.

A - Faily dark, and slightly red in color. Thin and rapidly disapearing head. Cool artwork on the label.

S - Smell is clean, but almost completely void of any flavors.

T - At first this beer has very little in the way of flavor. Tastes like any typical run of the mill Lager, maybe like a Yuengling. But then it surprises you. The aftertaste is delicious, and sweet. Very enjoyable.

M - Thick, and syrupy sweet.

D - Not a session beer, but very nice, and I would definitely try it again.

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shmaltz- Coney Island Lager

A- Deep copper brown with a good thick frothy head. Goo lacing and low carbonation.
S- Heavily toasted malt grains with a buttery malt touch.
T- Big thick toasted grains, crusty bread, buttery malt.
M- Thick and malty. Solid and grainy. Smooth buttery finish.

Overall- Delicious! $3.49 for a bomber and well worth it!

On New Year's Eve, I drank this beer (on tap!) the whole night, and I really enjoyed it. This is a really easy-to-drink beer; it's refreshing, pleasant-tasting, and smooth. I agree that this is a good party beer because it works on its own as a crowd-pleaser; all my friends seemed to like it too! I also really like the logo.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Hazy medium copper body. No head or lacing.

Citrus and grass hop aroma, slightly sweet honey malt hangs in the background.

The flavor is a little tannic, a little dusty. the bitterness is nice, but a bit overpowering. It needs more malt if there is going to be that big of a hop burst in a lager like this.

Low carbonation makes the mouthfeel a bit off. It should be much more biting from the co2. It's nicely drying, though.

All in all a good beer that could be tweaked a bit to be excellent. I'd buy it again, though. It definitely sticks out among the lagers on your average grocery store shelf.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Reviewed on 9/13/08. Bottle. Pours a deep orange/brown with a thick, foamy light tan head. Aroma of nice flowery hops with toasted and caramel malt. Awesome! Flavor is quite good as well, nice light floral hops and sweet malt. Slight toasted malt presence, particularly in the finish. Superbly drinkable. Similar to SA Boston Lager but more full-bodied and not as sweet. A top-notch vienna and one of the best lagers I've had. Definitely superior to its 3.35 average.
8/4/7/4/14 (3.7/5)

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours clear gold with a medium white head. Lager aroma of yeast, sugar, some hops. Watery, corny taste at first, but comes back later with more hops. A sugary cereal taste is prevalent throughout. Not great, but not bad. More of a comntrived marketing gimmick

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Had this at Steinbeck's in Atlanta.

Pours a good looking deep red-orange color that has a lighter shade on the outside of the beer. Head is one-finger of off-white foam that recedes into a patchy layer of bubbles and a thin ring around the glass. Not much lacing.

Smells of plastic-like hops with a decent amount of sweet malt.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slightly fruity hop flavors joined by odd-tasting malts. There's some off-flavor that I can't pinpoint, but if I had to try to describe it I'd say it was plasticky. Not totally a flavor-killer, but it certainly does nothing to make it really tasty.

Mouthfeel is good. It's thicker than I would've expected with good carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. Again, there's the off-flavor that I can't get past. I actually had a bit of trouble finishing this beer, and I really don't want another one.

Overall I was less than impressed. For some reason I've always steered clear of Schmaltz, and now I know why. This wasn't an absolutely terrible beer, but I can't see myself ever ordering one of these again. I'll try a few more of their beers, but I hope they get better.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a slightly hazing, peachy orange color with a nice, tan head with decent retention.

Smells of lightly roasted, sweet malts with hints of lager yeast. Smells crisp and refreshing. Maybe some light citrus.

Tastes of lightly toasted malts with hints of floral hops. Middle and finish is bitter. Light bodied and medium flavored.

This ones an easy drinker and a nice example of a lager. Recommended!

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Maybe I'm a sucker for advertising, but I think their logo is awesome. Does that impact my rating of this beer? I'm not sure.

I find this beer, crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This is a great beer drinking beer. Not hoppy, just malty, sweet and tasty. I tend to use this beer for parties because it doesn't come expecting a hardcore beer drinker's palate (like a hopslam might) and the logo is great.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

22 ouncer, no freshness info to be had. Pours pretty clear, orange tinged amber, light tan head, lose frothy and gauzy, this one leaves nice webs of lacing. Light whole wheat Bready nose. Pleasant enough stuff. Nicely balanced with soft, drying hops coming on late. Nothing hugely special going on here, just balanced, smooth, drinkable, sessionable stuff.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Orange color with some golden highlighting. Nice looking topper with some decent, if patchy, lacing. Interesting appearance for a normally staid style of beer.

Diacetyl and sweet caramel on the nose, some toasted grain, and fruity aromas are most notable. Alongside these, the hops are mellow, earthy, and a little grassy. All over the place is the phrase that comes to my mind.

Malty more than hoppy, but not unbalanced really. Very clean, classic lager profile, that slips in some caramel sweetness, herbal bitterness, and hard minerals.

Good mouthfeel that doesn't fill you up too much but doesn't skimp on ingredients. A little stickiness, but the otherwise overarching carbonation actually helps to clean that up a bit.

Pretty spunky little lager - I could drink a couple before getting bored. Better than the average for this rather pedestrian style.

Perhaps not as exciting as a day at the amusement park, it's worth a shot. A truly great Amber Ale (is that an oxymoron?) should be sessionable and interesting; Coney Island really only brings the interesting.

3.43/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Nice amber color and tan head but the head doesn't stick around and there's not much in the way of lacing.

Average smell but the taste is pretty nice for a lager, but comes across as a little flat.

As far as a lager, it's better than most.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 22oz'er, this Lager was an orangey-brown, with a solid, multi-fingered, frothy-foamy head. Displayed nice lacing and a film that stuck around for the long haul.

More of an aroma than I go into a lager expecting. A nice, "bright" smell. Malty, but well balanced with hops. Flowers and citrus on top of caramel.

A solid nutty and grainy malt backbone with hints of caramel has some pilsner hop character built on top. Earthy citrus, leaving behind slight bittering. Some nuttiness and a light, non-filmy hop taste stick around. Very solid flavor.

Good carbonation. Crisp feel, towards medium on spectrum of body, but still light. Goes down smooth. A pretty tasty, quaffable lager.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Review based on notes,

Pours an effervescent amber/copper with 3 fingers of sand colored head. Very good head retention & lacing

S: Metallic & herbal hop, plus some breadyness

T: Toasty malt, caramel, grainyness & slight metallic hoppyness up front. Dryness, slight cooked cereal flavor & breadyness as this warms. Finishes astringent & dry

MF: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation & good balance

Drinks easy, not a bad attempt at the style

2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

Got this 22 oz bottle at Rick's in Alexandria; I've had a few of Jeremy's beers and have always thought they were pretty drinkable. I poured it into my standard 12 oz pils tasting glass; maybe not aggressively enough, there was a little head and that didn't last long. Left a sort of a scut in the middle. It smells nice, but faint. It's a hazy golden brown. I think the Coney Island is a decent tasting beer, a little bitier than the aroma would indicate. Aside from the tongue bubbles, it seems well balanced, with a perky, long lasting finish. After sitting a bit, it's a little less gassy, better. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to develop any more character. I'm thinking this bottle might be a little old.

Actually, this beer sort of reminds me of the Czech Amber I brewed with a fellow years back. I won 2 cases of homebrew at a private school auction (one of the dads was a dedicated homebrewer) and he gave me a recipe "fake book". I really wanted a hefty Czech type pils so I picked a complicated, whole grain recipe.

On the appointed day, I drove out to help with the brewing. I hadn't gotten near a home brewer or home brew set up in 15 years. He had a neat, outside farmhouse brewery and got us ready to go. Finally sensing my anticipation, he asked me what I wanted to drink. I said what ever he was having which, since it was the middle of the summer, was hoping it would be some exotic and glorious pilsner from the cellar. Well, it turned out to be homebrew barley wine mixed half and half with Coors Light. Go figure.

So I was brewing again! Well, it all came back to me, only worse. With the 2 of us, applying constant agitations and administrations, it was SIX hours till we pitched the yeast and had a chance to stand back. Sheeesh! As I blew out of the driveway, I felt like I was re-escaping all the sticky horrors I remembered.

Well, the farmhouse wasn't air conditioned and the fermentation was fast (so I heard over the phone, I wasn't going near the place again until it was pickup time) and the maker thought it might not be exactly what I was anticipating. And he was right; it was sort of an ale lager hybrid, kind of what I drinking now. Well, the Czech Amber Lager Ale is all gone but I still have, 10 years later, one bottle of the second case, oddly enough an extract barleywine. I like the Coney a little more now, on second thought.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Lightly hazed, lightly ruby-oranged, amber with a lid of tight, fizzy, light sand.

This one gives some light caramel sweetness, and some light toastedness, along with an above average amount of red-green apple fruitiness, and some, lightly vegetal, lightly lemony, herbal hops. Medium bodied and pretty average feeling.

I was not too impressed by this one. This, my third, Coney Island offering leaves me wondering a bit about these wacky labels and caps. May give it shot next batch that comes out, but this one was not very appealing.

4.6/5  rDev +26%

KILLER KLOWNS FROM...WELL, CALIFORNIA

Appearance: Pours an orange/golden color, clear and clean looking. Has a bubbly, frothy tan head which is about an inch high. The head takes some decent time to dissipate, and it leaves some nice looking lacing on the glass.

On a side note, the Shmaltz Coney Island line has some of the best bottle labels I've ever seen, and the Beer Freak clown guy is awesome!

Smell: This beer has a strong hops, malt, and citrus (especially orange) smell up front. There is also some caramel and a slight mixture of a woodsy and flowery scent.

Taste: This beer has a taste on the sweeter side, with just the right amount of bitter hops to compliment it. The cirtus from the smell is here, along with some caramel, breadiness, and a slight flowery taste. Overall the taste is very clean and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Neither watery or overly thick, but has an excellent consistancy somewhere in the middle. Very smooth on the palate, and not overly carbonated. Aftertaste is very similar to the taste, with a touch more bitterness.

Drinkability: This is an excellent lager, and one of my personal favorites. The refreshing taste of this beer never gets old, and I can't think of many beers better then this one to enjoy after a long day at work. During a meal this beer will succeed both in quenching your thirst and not filling you up. I love red lagers, and if you do too you need to try this one. Like it says on the label: "Indulge your inner Beer Freak!"

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a Grimbergen chalice, yeah, wrong glass, but I like it.

Amber beer with a half finger head that kills to nothing quick, minor sea foam lacing on the glass initially. Smell is sweet malts, carmal on the tongue, sharp carbonation, crisp. Easy to drink.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

A.-this is a outstanding lager.at 40* in a thick glass mug it had a peachy amber color and was very clear in the light.the head was very nice, about a inch and a half thick with a very good retention and lacing.

S.-the first smell was flowery/citrus' and a unusually strong hops aroma for a lager.over all a mild blend.

T.- this lager could almost pass for a wheat ale. yummy hoppy taste with a hint of weat and citrus. very well balanced and a definate signature twist im sure.

M.-the mouth feel @ 40* is really good..awsome in fact..very refreshing ..smooth and alive. feels good on the throat.

D.-a good drinkability..in fact you should definatly pick up a second one..

i was kind of reluctant on this one but it was a pleasant supprise. i recomend it

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Hmm, so Schmaltz has swayed from branding themselves exclusively as the Jew brew. Not that there's anything wrong with He'brew as a brand, but the creepy guy on the Coney Island bottles is a lot cooler. And what's better, the profits from this here brew are going to preserve Coney Island, which from what I gather is now the pet cause of WMFU-types. Sweet.

Pours APA orange brown, very lightly hazy with a nice big white head.

It smells like a very nice hop profile when I hold the bottle up to my nose but then when I pour it it smells like a firm pilsener. The hops are still there, but man that's a weird shift (and it happened in two separate glasses, too). Still, the hop profile be VERY firm for a pils. It's managed well against a much more traditional Czech malt.

Tastes pretty much like a traditional Czech pils. (Not much like a red). The hops are bit more varied and American-tasting than you might find in, say, Urquell or Prima Pils. This is a nice change, but it's also lacking that wonderful dryness that a really great Pils tends to have, and this complexity of the hop also blots out the malt profile just a smidge. Still, very tasty and nicely balanced. But not quite an elite beer.

Coney Island Lager from Shmaltz Brewing Company