He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On RyeHe'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 12-20-2007

Imperial Rye IPA aged in a Rittenhouse 100 Rye Barrel.
The 2013 batch was aged in Willett Rye Whiskey barrels.
Ratings: 355 | Reviews: 141
4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Lenny's R.I.P.A. aged in six year sazerac rye whiskey barrels, 22 oz bomber, Batch/cases 001/469, bottled on 4/9/2010,

Pours a gorgeous copper/orange hue hazy clarity and a nice 2 finger tan head that is capped and sticky. All in all it looks amazing.

Complexity galore this ale smells so deep. First up is the vanilla and rye spice from the whiskey barrel, second is a well rounded bitterness coming from the aged hops, i am going to assume the regular version of this beer is a bit more hoppy though Ive yet to try... I don't think ill take my nose out ever.

Upon first sip i am greeted with an amazing mix of hops and rye whiskey, i can see someone who doesn't enjoy whiskey being deterred from this. Hops have an earthy citrus quality but are more hidden behind the onslaught of rye whiskey, whiskey has a nice bit of warmth to it. Solid caramel malt backbone helping more this all along.

moderate carbonation with a bit of a syrupy fell to it, what id expect from a brew aged for a bit. Alcohol is well masked for 10%. semi-dry finish.

Amazing beer i absolutely loved it. I recommend you get your ass out their and try to get your hands on this. it says there is only 469 cases produced which means only 5628 22 oz. bombers were produced. GO! RUN!

4.83/5  rDev +22.9%

Shared a 22oz bottle on a cool Memorial Day weekend.

A--This really is my favorite color of beer. Weird, I know, but I fell in love with a copper ale in 2003, and I've been searching the world for a beer that had that same golden, red, shimmering hue. He'brew's got it.

S--Whiskey, vanilla, almost too intense when nosed directly.

T--All of the flavor features of a whiskey barrel beer, without an overexpression of roast character. The complex hops profile of the RIPA balance surprisingly well with the whiskey barrel flavors. An unexpected match.

M--Body of an IPA, soul of a barrel-aged beer. Could be creamier. Thick and thin at the same time.

O--This is an extraordinary beer, plain and simple. There's nothing simple about it, though. A feast of hops, a complex malt profile, and just the right amount of barrel-aged compounds.

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great whiskey-barrel aged beer ... for my taste.

I haven't had many whiskey-barrel aged beers. Most have come from Firestone-Walker. I can't say the style is my favorite, but this one from Shmaltz is my favorite so far. It has to be the use of rye whiskey barrels for me. I really enjoy a shot of rye with a malty beer on the side; somehow the combination of flavors is wonderful. And this beer smacks that nail straight on the head.

I'm drinking this nine months after bottling, so that aging probably helped a bit. I'll bet two years on this brew would make it incredible.

It's still luscious as is!

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Wow! that is all I have to say about this brew! This is easily one of the best American brews I have ever had! The ABV is really high at 10% and goes down just as smooth as a Belgian or a German would. The beer pours a lighter golden color with perfect carbonation, a decadent aroma of hops, hops, and more hops, and the taste is the same.. Hops! To me, that is a good thin, so I will be searching for more of this beer for sure!

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

On the label:
Batch/Cases No. 001/469
Bottling Date 4/9/2010

Poured medium dark copper into a tulip. Cloudy, tiny bubbles - lots of them that dissipate slowly given what a powerful beer this is.
Aroma is overpowering. Easy to get high on the smell alone.
Taste is a combination of sweetness and alcohol. A sipping beer. To be savored. If you like sipping rye whiskey, you will love this beer simply because it possesses all the pleasure and you get to enjoy more of it. High alcohol for beer, low for a whiskey with all the flavor - best of both worlds.
I love this beer and wish I had more of it. I bought it on close out at my local Central Market and wish I had cleaned them out.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Batch #3 poured from a 22oz bottle into a Rastal, Teku 2.0 glass - Reviewed 8/6/14

A- Pours a beautifully clear, ruby red with nothing more than a single finger, off-white head which dissipates rather quickly (5.0)

S- The barrel component is ever-so-present, . Vanilla, coconut, oak, orange blossom honey, melon and some lemon/lime citrus thrown in for good measure. (4.75)

T- Malty sweetness hits first, but is quickly whisked away by a substantial white grapefruit rind bitterness. The spiciness from the rye (both from the malt and barrel) along with the oak tannin come through in the finish, creating a rather dry (yet enjoyable) finish. The malt backbone of the base beer is substantial enough to hold up against the flavors imparted by the barrel, creating a very balanced, yet extreme offering. (4.5)

M- Medium-Full bodied with high drinkability. The sturdy carbonation helps to keep this otherwise viscous brew from running amok on your palate. (4.5)

O- After nearly 1-year since being bottled, all the elements of Lenny's R.I.P.A. on Rye still hold strong, as your palate will recognize both barrel and DIPA components. The aging of Lenny's R.I.P.A. in Rye Whisky barrels elevates an otherwise good beer to outstanding. Well done! (4.5)

Since I have now reviewed both 2013 & 2014 editions, I give the nod to the 2013 vintage and hope it ages with the best of 'em! (4.75)

---
Batch #4 (2014) - Aged in Redemption Rye whiskey barrels - Reviewed 1/26/14

One of, if not the only 32oz growlers of this beer on this planet, is poured into a 16oz snifter.

A- It pours a crystal clear, deep mahogany color with about one finger's worth of a white, frothy head. (5.0)

S- Perhaps the most extreme barrel-aged beers I have ever experienced. Vanilla, oak and down-right whiskey are dominant on the nose. Once acclimated, you will find subliminal notes of ruby red grapefruit citrus. (4.5)

T- Like the aroma, an absolute assault on the senses courtesy from the whiskey barrels. Vanilla, oak and rye spice dominate consume the palate. (4.25)

O- Wow...simply amazing. I dare you to find a barrel-aged beer that elicits a more pronounced barrel-aged character than this. Starting with Barrel-Aged Blockhead, Funky Jewbelation and now with Lenny's R.I.P.A. on Rye, Shmaltz is releasing exceptional barrel-aged brews of which are all worth seeking out! (4.5)

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

A: Really deep copper color with a touch of red highlights. A half finger of white head with good head retention and lacing. Not bad looking for a barrel aged IPA.

S: The nose is a mix of spiciness from the rye and just a touch of hops. The barrel really brings out the best part of the pre barrel aged beer. Not an explosive nose but really nice.

T: The mix of spiciness from the rye base beer and the barrel and the hops is outstanding. The base beer is not super hoppy itself so it really lends itself to this kind of thing. It is not complex but it is wonderful. This should really be changed to a rye beer as this is not a DIPA. As it warms more of the barrel comes out.

M: Medium body. A little bit syrupy. Carbonation is good.

D: I love this beer. Bottled April of 2010 469 cases and they should have made more. This is the second time I have had this beer and it impressed me more this time. Just a really nice treat.

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Ledgers Liquors in Berkeley, brought back to Sydney and cracked open with my bro @LaitueGonflable.

Pours a very thick and heavy deep reddish amber, with a yellowish white head of creamy foam. Good lacing, and the body looks incredibly heavy. Lovely static carbonation. Really quite wonderful. Head could be fuller, but otherwise, it's practically perfect.

Nose is lovely - big and rich hoppy notes, almost as though they've been compressed to a singularity and then smashed into a galaxy of flavour. But there are big sweet other notes, oak and coconut come through in abundance.

Taste is excellent as well. Big and sweet wood and coconut characters, with a huge welling of delicious fragrant hops that give a finishing bite to cleanse the palate. Slight spice on the back, with a slight alcohol heat. Mouthfeel is superb, slick and heavy without being too prickly. It's got such a weird bent on the heavy and aggressive DIPA style - masses of coconut and a really odd sweetness to balance everything.

Oh hell yes. This is what I love about American craft beer. There are such classic flavours all over this, but they are also twisted and battered into such original and unique forms. Superb.

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Another big beer from Shmaltz! Picked up tonight from the tasting room at the brewery. Excited for this one!

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into snifter

A- Great dark amber color with nice tan fluffy head with nice even consistent bubbles. The head doesn't stick around forever but when it does there is some decent lacing that slides down the vessel. Has a nice glowing aura to it.

S- The barrel smells great on this one. Caramel, a bit of coconut, char, whiskey. Although masked by many of the characters of the barrel, the hop aroma starts peeking through as it warms. Also as it warms up to room temp, the alcohol smell becomes slightly more evident. Picking up some tropical fruit...mango?

T- Very barrel forward. I bought this from the cooler at the brewery and it was labeled as batch three and brewed in August, 2013. The Rye Whiskey presence is right there upfront, but not really too overpowering. It is balanced quite nicely. For the amount of hops that they loaded into this its not too bitter, but there is a subtle bitter hop aftertaste. Brown sugar, very malty. This is a great tasting, complex brew!

M- Great thick and hardy. A little dry from the barrel aging. There is some bite from the carbonation, but the thicker mouthfeel helps balance this into a thick, smooth beast that becomes tamed as you drink it. The alcohol is also hidden amongst all the complexities and nuances.

O- Overall a splendid barrel aged beer! A great, balanced smooth double IPA with barrel aging down right! The whiskey and the barrel add a very interesting and pleasing quality to this brew. Pretty well done for a brewery that was only open for a matter of weeks at the time of the bottling of this beer. Well done Shmaltz. L'Chaim!

4.52/5  rDev +15%

22 ounce bomber. Batch #1, case #469. Whoo hoo! Batch 1! I'm excited to try this one. Was in the mood for a Hop Head Rye but saw this and decided to pick it up instead. I'm using a snifter glass. Pours a deep ruby red with a full head that has great retention. Incredible aroma on this beer, with the the rye whiskey from the aging process lending to lots of alcohol in the nose. Taste is incredible, very complex. I get huge amounts of malt with a huge alcohol finish. Also yields molasses, vanilla, maybe even some roasted malt flavors somewhere. It's called a Rye IPA but there's no hops to speak of, and this is a relatively young beer, bottled 3 months ago to the day. It could honestly probably use a little more time to mellow out. Though the longer you drink it the more you get hops, particularly in the background. This is a pretty amazing beer, very well put together. A sipping beer.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

A - Dark copper red in color, almost no head to speak of and only a small layer of tan foam.

S - Lots of biscuit, sweet malt, caramel, and a slight medicinal hop aroma.

T - So very good. All of the aromas are in here, biscuit, malt, caramel and what hop flavor is there is medicinal.

M - Full to very full. This the thickest IPA I have ever had, and if I was blindfolded I would have said this was a Imperial stout from the mouth feel. Thick and rich, velvety, with a strong amount of hop bitterness.

O - A truly great beer. Surprising flavors and textures.

4.51/5  rDev +14.8%

Bomber served in a tulip. Deep amber color, bordering on brown. Plenty of head, lingers nicely around the glass. A lot of hops in the aroma - floral smelling. The taste however is a malt bomb - caramel and maybe cinnamon; the hops are there however in the aftertaste. A very good beer, although it was quite pricey so no guarantees I will buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

A - caramel colored and vibrant. A thin but creamy, cinnamon tinted head sticks around for a minute or two. Very clean and un-hazy (word?)
S - Sweet candy malts dominate. Cinnamon and rhubarb, and burnt sugar. While some of the sweet smells may be originating from the alcohol notes of the whiskey barrels, it is a little disappointing that I'm not picking up and wood or true rye whiskey notes, nor am I getting much hop in this "obscene amount of hops" brew. However, the nose is still tremendous and complex, much more on the british IPA side.
T - Vanilla and pepper, right off the bat, smack you in the face. An amazingly well balanced beer. The vanilla dominated malts are strong and complex, but not overpowering in any way, thanks to the hop, peppery backbone (less bitter, more spicy), that combats the malts. Neither dominates, though both are dominating. Finish is a bit tangy, with a little residual sugar.
M - It almost seems like I'm drinking from 2 different bottles at the same time. I'm getting the crisp, pop of an IPA, with a super creamy and velvety barley wine...both distinct...truly seems like I'm pouring 2 incredibly well balanced beers into my mouth from 2 separate bottles.
D - Even at 10%, the alcohol flavor and impact is not very noticable. This one may be dangerous. Delicious, not too heavy, not too light, and super strong alcohol hiding in the shadows.
I must say, many of the reviews below had me worried, but my bottle was fantastic. The date stamp is only 2.5 months old, so I can't immagine age/time had anything to do with it. Mine is a 2010 release...

4.49/5  rDev +14.2%

Having never tried the original R.I.P.A. I didn't know what to expect. In fact, having little experience with rye beer in general, and the brewer, made this one all the more exceptional for me.

Looked sexy in a snifter, dark amber/brown with a creamy foam. Sticky and lacy.

The smell! It made me dream of sitting in front of a fireplace while it snows outside, the scent was so warm and inviting. Like sweet fruit and candy with a bourbon burn. I had to just warm this in my hands and sniff a while...

Most of the typical IPA hop flavor is gone with the sweetness of the rye and the bourbon, though the bitterness still comes through in the finish, after the whiskey burn. Very complex and full bodied. The rye and bourbon hits very strong up front, then coats the tongue with a pleasant sweetness (toffee, maybe vanilla) that sticks in your mouth after each sip. Definitely picks up more flavor as it warms. It is one for savoring.

This is a powerful beer. It doesn't necessarily feel like an exceptionally high ABV level (which it is), but for me it was a slow drinking beer. Though I loved every moment of it, I'd say this is one for sharing; I didn't feel any particular desire to finish a whole bottle myself.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

A - Poured out of a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass. Copper, almost transparent with a nice inch and a half of dirty white head.

S - A lot going on here: toffee, honeysuckle, brown sugar and charred maple-wood.

T - Spicy, slight hop bitterness, wood and alcohol.

M - Medium body but kind of soft too. Light carbonation.

D - Very good. The 10% ABV is hidden very well. It is very smooth. Probably one of the best barrel aged beers I have had. It has a great balance; meaning it isn't obscenely sweet.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

I fear that many beer lovers do not take the He'Brew line of beers seriously because of the playful name. This is a beer that deserves serious consideration.

In the barrel aged craze, it take something special to stand apart. This Rye Double IPA aged in whiskey barrels has an aroma that blends whiskey aroma with hints of vanilla. A murky dark brown catches the eyes before the first sip. The vanilla is very potent in the initial taste. The vanilla gives way to whiskey, tobacco, and molasses. The sweetness balance against the whiskey backbone creates a winner.

Though stylized as a double IPA, the beer does not pack much hop. But in the overall scope of the product, it is forgivable.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Hadn't seen this at all around the Twin Cities until recently & picked up a bottle since it has two of my favorite ingredients: rye & rye. Sounds like a winner before the cap pops. Neck notes "Case 1 of 469". Interesting. Shared with my wife after my third softball game in two nights. I can feel that in a variety of places.

Before I even take a sip my wife makes an obscene exclamation of delight; guess she likes it. Pours on the amber end of the IIPA spectrum, fairly clear but not see-through. In the nose one can pick out distinctly both the rye barrel & rye malts, which is really cool. Both pack a good-Indian restaurant kind of spicey-vibe. Nice. The hops are subdued in the rye whirlpool.

R.I.P.A. should get more respect than it does, IMHO. Is this nationally distributed? With the barrel-aged craze, one would think this would be getting a lot of air play. THIS is what I thought I was getting with Boulevard's Rye-on-Rye, which proved good but a touch bland. Let this one warm a bit for full 3-D.

This beer is ryed all the way into my third eye, reaching up into my throat. Spicy rye burns all the way down my throat, the sensation ending right in my sternum. Yeehaa! There's nothing standard about the barrel-aging here, it's subtle, sweet, oak-laced vanilla that tries & fails to stop the lava tracks of the rye malts. The hops, or what's left of them two-plus months after brewing, are plunged into the background, providing a flare of bitterness that twines really nicely around the spiciness, giving it a depth of character one usually only sees in Asia Carrera's performances.

And after all that gushing, this is a drinker. I could have happily & easily done 22 oz. & then some by myself. My half is well over half gone in the past few minutes I've been writing this; it might take me fifty minutes to put away the average big beer, this one'll be lucky to see fifteen.

Excellent beer. That's two fantastic, unexpected surprises from a brewery that I know next to nothing about. I will be making a trip in the next couple of days (on my wife's orders, I'm sure) to secure another couple bottles of this &, while I'm at it, I'll grab another bomber or two of their lineup. I'm sold.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice golden amber colour, clear in body with a stunning head, nice and generous, medium bubbles with lace that would stop a lorry. I don't know what that means, but fuck it's good. This beer has a better body than Angelina Jolie in beer form. Nice, slow bead. Pretty goddamn nice indeed.

Nose is quite delicious. Hugely malty with massive fresh coconut notes all over that, lots of caramel and toffee and a slight dessert wine character as well. Very slight lime juice touch just adds a hint of acidity. Somehow this is at once toasty and sweet like a hearty, warm English pub, yet tropical like a sunkissed Belizean beach. Just staggeringly good.

Taste is quite strong and malty, but yeah very boozey on the mid. Lots of caramel on the front with a slight fruity edge, touch of citrus and maybe some plum as well. Coconut comes to the fore on the mid and dominates a slightly nutty flavour overall, with hints of roasted peanut and sesame as well. Finish has a real boozey strength to it though, gets even more heated at the back with a cognacy oomph! just bashing it down the throat. It's a nice warmth, but it really does have the ethanol-style strength, and would be nicer if the malt sweet stickiness continued for longer, or had more powerful hopping to counteract the effect. But an impressive and beautiful beer, I'd say it would be orgasmic with a bit more age on it.

Good body, the beer coats the mouth well with its texture, but doesn't go overboard with stickinesss. Warmth is great for Winter, which it still is.

Overly strong on the back - without the heat this would be more drinkable, but it is still a very nice, tasty sipping beer.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Drank from a 22 Oz bomber. This is a unique beer that, in a way, defies normal characterization. It isn't a pure Rye beer, Rye PA, or a barrel aged beer. It is a mix of all three.

Appearance: Just on the brown side of amber. Not too much head on a gentle pour. Sticky on the swirl, leaves lacing behind that somewhat slides back down the glass as you drink, but some remnants remain.

Aroma: Alcohol/whiskey smell is very much the strongest smell. There is also a sweetness that isn't quite vanilla and not quite coconut present.

Taste: Booziness is first to the party, in a malty sweet kind of way. Second comes a bitterness, piney and somewhat woody, that decides to sit down on your tongue and stay for a while. As the bitterness settles, the rye maltiness arrives fashionable late to subdue the earlier, more prominent flavors.

Mouthfeel: Really thick and hot in the mouth, but isn't sticky by any means. It goes down like beers of much lesser viscosity and is certainly deceiving on the palette.

Drinkability: Not a repeat customer for a one night session. While very tasty, this one is high ABV thick beer that plays the robust part.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer very much and will gladly pick it up again when the occasion calls for it. Not a beer for sitting around watching a game or to beat the heat. This one is best enjoyed after dinner or as a night cap on a cold evening. It will definitely warm you up.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Pours a nice dark amber color that had a small head that left nice lacing as it fell.

S - There is a definite alcohol/bourbon smell that stands out. There is also a nice presence of hops and some caramel sweetness.

T - Right up front is the booze. A lot of hops follow up the booze taste. There are also nice sweet notes like caramel and vanilla. The finish is bitter and it sticks to your mouth for quite a while.

M - The mouthfeel was medium, but more on the heavier side of medium. Nice carbonation. Also, it is a little warming on the mouth.

D - I think this beer is surprisingly drinkable. I went through a bomber of this faster than I expected to. I would definitely pick this beer up again. Its very good for cold nights. They did a good job on this brew. Cheers.

4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a He'brew small shaker pint. Pours a medium to dark reddish amber with a fine light tan head with great retention and thick lacing. Nice aroma of rye whisky, piney and citrus hops, vanilla, caramel malt. A barley wine aroma profile. Flavor follows with caramel malt, rich rye whisky, fresh tropical fruit, citrus, oaky vanilla. Finshes with whisky and piney hops. Medium bodied with light creaminess. A great, rye forward IIPA with lots of flavor variety and good balance. Lots of barrel aged but hoppy barley wine character. I really like this a lot. I originally reviewed this in 2010 from the last round, but liked this even more this time, so it gets a fresh review of the 2013.

4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter. Kosher certified.

Dark cola body with a surprising amount of carbonation for being barrel-aged, the ecru- colored cap reaches a finger in width. The smooth foam leaves behind a thick sheet of lacing.

That is nice! The fruity esters of "regular" Lenny's mingling with aromas of vanilla, wood, and subtle whiskey. Also, as the beer warms and opens up, the caramel and spicy notes become apparent.

The palate of flavors is Lenny's with a sweet boost from the whiskey barrel aging. The whiskey notes are more honeyed and dark fruit-like across the palate. The finish adds a resiny note and a slight whiskey booziness, but this beer is far from being hot. The malt is bready and slightly caramel-y as the palate adjusts. Very good.

Medium bodied and creamy, slightly dry, this beer fills the mouth and finishes easy for a barrel-aged offering.

I really enjoyed this beer! The barrel aging improved the base beer in every way. The nose had a great whiskey character. The palate was extremely complex and managed to keep from being hot, while exhibiting whiskey, woody notes. Definitely a must try.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

This really is a completely different beer than the original. The hops are still evident but in more of a supporting role - similar to how hops are present in some hoppy imperial stouts but somewhat masked by the malts. In this beer, the hops are masked by the forward flavors of bourbon and smoke.

The appearance is lighter than I would have expected, while the head is more than I would have guessed - good lacing. The smell is of bourbon, but sweet caramel is present. The flavor is bourbon and hops - very smooth and drinkable for what it is.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 Edition - Batch 3 - Aged in Willett Rye Whiskey Barrel

Been looking forward to this as I love the original.

Pours a semi-clear amber/dirty brown ale with a nice sized beige colored head. Doesn't appear too long and does a ring around the glass unless agitated. Nice colored ale.

Getting a lot of whiffs of the barrel here. The rye is very present as are the hops...which include seven different going by the label. Big whiffs of caramel and smaller amounts of brown sugar, vanilla and toffee. The barrel is big here but very pleasant. Enjoying the experience.

The taste is very spicy rye forward with a subtle boozy background. Big combo hop flavor going on. The rye on top of rye is big package of flavor here and if you don't like rye, this beer could be a problem. Spicy swallow but doesn't linger too much.

For all that this beer is packing, the mouthfeel is nicely full bodied and very limited on the carbonation...which helps.

Overall, for me, the combo of a rye beer and a rye barrel works amazingly well. The base beer is almost perfect and throwing it into a rye whiskey barrel just brings out all this beer can be.

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

first of all...hell of a beer...chewy...deep..rye-y....

nose of figs, hazelnut...creamy chocolate...

mouthed...thick sweet ..but no too sweet..tamed by the bitter hops....creamy as heck...the rye is quite forward..if you ever had old overholt in your mouth or maybe pappy van winkle family reserve...this is it...the alcohol is hidden..sneaks up on you like a welcome but unexpected...handjob...the bitterness stays in your cheeks...

i will drink this as much and as often as possible....

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye from Shmaltz Brewing Company