He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On RyeHe'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Imperial Rye IPA aged in a Rittenhouse 100 Rye Barrel.
The 2013 batch was aged in Willett Rye Whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: John_M on 12-20-2007)

neckbracesub, May 29, 2014
4.76/5  rDev +21.4%

A great whiskey-barrel aged beer ... for my taste.

I haven't had many whiskey-barrel aged beers. Most have come from Firestone-Walker. I can't say the style is my favorite, but this one from Shmaltz is my favorite so far. It has to be the use of rye whiskey barrels for me. I really enjoy a shot of rye with a malty beer on the side; somehow the combination of flavors is wonderful. And this beer smacks that nail straight on the head.

I'm drinking this nine months after bottling, so that aging probably helped a bit. I'll bet two years on this brew would make it incredible.

It's still luscious as is!

TucsonTom, May 27, 2014

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

thatoneguymike, Apr 22, 2014

markgugs, Apr 20, 2014
3.84/5  rDev -2%

I remember a past co-worker raving about this and missed my chance some time back to get my hands on one. Saw it, bought it, proceeded to try it quickly. 2014 release.

Pours out pretty oily with a small, off-white head that dissipates and leaves a wispy film and ring about the edges. It is a deep, rich copper colour. The small lacing bubbles very slowly climb through the thick beer up the sides of the glass. Very good looking.

The smell is quite nice, pretty heavy on the earth, booze, and rye whisky. There are hints of vanilla and very dry chocolate, maybe a bit of smoke and citrus. Almost a bit lemony and grapefruity. The smell isn't heavy or potent, it is pretty mellow.

The taste is huge and aggressive. Very aggressive. I get a lot of rye whisky and rye malt on this. There are no doubts as o what this beer is. It is brazen. Comes in a bit sweet with vanilla and oak tones, maybe a bit of blackberry, and the heads into the lemony citrus with herbal notes and then the rye whisky hits. It comes down like a sledge hammer with a backbone of pine and then gradually eases off into a grapefruit pith and booze. The oak holds throughout it pretty evenly and then sinks in with the booze at the tail end. I can certainly see how many reviewers are a bit blown out and away from the hops. The whisky does overshadow heavily in this beer and blends with the aggressive herbal tones and pine.

Mouthfeel is pretty well on the heavy and oily side. A definite sipping beer. This is also an extraordinarily dry beer. To the point it is a bit astringent. Being a sipping beer, you have to fight with this boozy dryness and astringency which becomes a bit unpleasant. It's harsh and for 10% or so ABV, the booze are out there like no ones business and add an almost unbelievable amount of warmth to the beer. I've had some hot beers but usually they are higher in ABV than this. This is a hot one.

Overall, I love the original Lenny's RIPA. After this I actually want to revisit it. This is a good beer, but it is extremely aggressive with the rye whisky. I like a good robust beer, but it is a bit too harsh for even myself when it comes to the astringency. Don't get me wrong though! I would drink this beer again. If it were on tap somewhere and I wanted a potent beast of a beer, I would gravitate to it to meet my needs. I guess I just have some mixed feelings on it. I will continue to buy He'Brew, they certainly never disappoint on the sides of interesting and unique. And this was definitely both of those.

Misanthropy_Sipping, Apr 19, 2014

Axnjxn, Apr 18, 2014

KevinGordon, Apr 18, 2014

Daniellobo, Apr 17, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A brownish red body with one finger head and lace ring. I get a strong rye presence in the aroma, and then something akin to both bourbon and wood along with a hint of vanilla, even some caramel, toffee, figs and a big ol' helping of hops. The beer is real smooth and sweet with the rye poking out everywhere and there is minor malty booziness along with touches of dark fruits like figs and plum along with moderate sweetness. The hops are plentiful and come across as oily and piney. The beer is a little thick and sticky at times and is a slow sipper but real enjoyable.

clayrock81, Apr 11, 2014

XicanoBeerRun, Apr 10, 2014

dksl16, Apr 08, 2014
4.31/5  rDev +9.9%

Viscous, smooth pour results in a billowing parchment paper colored head rising above a dark mahogany body. Head size is maxed out at a finger but this has very good retention and leaves a solid sheet of tight lacing on the glass.

Barrel character makes this beer more rounded and provides more layered aromas than the regular version. Thick toffee malt, molasses, whisky, oak and rye malt meld together balanced by equally punchy sweet orange citrus and pine resin. Alcohol is soothed down by the barrel aging and is well integrated with the sweet, deep malt and piney, juicy hops.

Thick, layered malt, well into barelywine standards, complexities of molasses, toffee and a good rye edge. The fruity esters carried by the rye and yeast complement the hops, orange citrus, bright pine. Oak and a light whisky soothe the hops down adding a layer of vanilla and wood.

The bright hops and wood work equally to balance out the density of the body. Carbonation is low-medium but also creamier in texture. Malt is also less sticky than the body lets on and the hops create pleasant mouthcoating and the alcohol is complementary instead of abrasive.

Whiskey barrel aging has make a good beer even better. This is one instance in which aging a DIPA works, a layered barleywine type malt with oak, vanilla and deep toffee and rye with brightening hops. The barrel cuts down the less desireable flavors of fruity, grapey esters from the yeast and rye

rawfish, Apr 05, 2014