1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Coney Island Albino Python - Shmaltz Brewing Company

Coney Island Albino PythonConey Island Albino Python

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.00% ABV

This is a lager brewed with spices. This is a Wit in Lager form, corriander and other common (Wit) spices were used.

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 06-08-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coney Island Albino Python Alström Bros

Orangish yellow lager and mostly opaque. Huge chunks of yeast floating around make it look like a dirty fish bowl. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with a little yeast floating around in my beer but this is too much and is not inviting. Thin and bubbly white head forms and vanishes before your eyes leaving little to no lacing.

Smell is sweet and spicy with some lemon, orange and ginger notes.

Flavors are citrusy as well with a mild lemon, orange hop character. Apricot nectar type of sweetness to it. This one is almost too sweet and combined with the ginger notes and high carbonation it tastes a lot like a ginger ale, not a bad taste, just not what Im looking for in a beer. Malt has a smooth grainy flavor. Aftertaste is sour.

Medium bodied and over carbonated. A bit of a course texture from the yeast and a dry finish.

Not a huge fan of this one. I was expecting something different and I sure got it. They advertized it as a white lager brewed with spices and I think they got a little carried away with the spice aspect. When I drink it, I have to remind myself I'm drinking a beer because the flavors make me forget. Not recommended.

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz bottle into He'Brew Jewbelation Vertical tasting glass.

A: Pours a straw yellow, murky body, with a one finger white head and has very good retention. Carbonation levels are standard for style.

S: The aroma shows note of clove and orange. Medium to low levels of intensity.

T/M: The brew is smooth and clean, with a creamy aspect to the mouthfeel. Flavors are a bit low on the overall character, but still present. The lingering taste is a tad weak.

O: Overall not too impressed with this one, a lack of robust character, even for a light lager.

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

P: Orange/yellow color with a small white head. Kind of gives off the image of a mass produced light beer.

S: If I was blind folded and somebody put this beer up to my face, I would have guessed that somebody potpourri from Bed Bath and Beyond. It presents a flowery aroma of ginger, lemon, and citrus.

T: Malty with orange peel and lemon. Its light, crisp, and then a bit bitter on the finish.

M: Tastes like any ordinary light beer. Easy to drink.

O: I didn't know what to expect when I read "white lager brewed with spices." I wouldn't say this is a bad beer, but I wouldn't consider it to be a good one either. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a lower ABV bomber and is will to try a really different light beer.

3.08/5  rDev -13%

Pours amber with a quickly fading head.
Seems skunked, very grassy. Once that fades citrus becomes noticeable along with doughy wheat and ginger. Pretty soft.
The ginger is really noticeable as a flavour, threatening to overwhelm everything else. There also seems to be some cinnamon as well as faint citrus.
Carbonation is way to high.
Too much ginger!

3.08/5  rDev -13%

Wow. A very light sunny yellow color - cloudy, peachy. Is this what an unfiltered Budweiser would look like? Creamy/ foamy white head. The nose is citrus zest and lemon lollipop. The flavor is a muted more of the same. Prickly carbonation on a light body. The carbonation makes it feel fuller, but don't get fooled. An interesting twist on a witbier as it is a lager. This is a better version of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, but still not something I would buy. It's kinda got my stomach all gassy. But I love the way it looks in the glass.

3.1/5  rDev -12.4%

The beer pours a hazy golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the coriander with some orange and wheat notes thrown in. I also get some mint notes, but I am not sure where they are coming from. The flavor is pretty much what you expect in a Belgian White. I get some coriander and wheat, as well as some very light fruit and floral notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz bottle. Poured quite clean golden, some sediment. Large white foamy head. Floral aromas, some hop, mild spice of some sort. Kind of pale, kind of white ale flavors of citrus with a small almount of sweetness, malt and sugar. I can't put my finger on the spices, coriander and ginger maybe, but rather nondescript. Very carbonated mouthfeel. Light bodied, but filling from the carbonation. Seemed drinkable until I realized I still had half of it left. Not quite sure what to make of this one....

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure what to make of this beer. Thought from the name it may be a witbier, it labels itself as a Spice/herb beer, but I just tasted what seemed to resemble an offshoot from a BMC....a lot of grain, little aroma or taste, and a short, non-memorable finish. Cute label though

Coney Island Albino Python from Shmaltz Brewing Company