Coney Island Sword Swallower - Shmaltz Brewing Company

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Lager |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 06-10-2008)

1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

2.03/5  rDev -42.8%

Got this 22oz bomber for $5.99 at Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

The pour took me by surprise, huge foamy head rached about a quarter inch above the rim of the glass and spilled over before the glass was half full. I didn't pour it particularly hard. Great retention, sticks around developing valleys and sinkholes and leaving spotty globs of lace on the glass. Cloudy light orange brew.

Smell is sharply metallic and acidic, bleh! Some apricot and banana is lurking but easily overpowered. Taste is also very very metallic with a strong bitter bite that doesn't taste like hops, just as bad as the smell.

Horrible! Gag! It went down the sink and I didn't find the galvanized washer I expected to come clinking out of the bottle.

2.13/5  rDev -40%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear golden yellow with a frothy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is sweet sugary fruity biscuity malts and honey with some grassy metallic hops.

The flavor is sweet sugary malts and a little fruit followed by a big metallic, burnt plastic bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin to medium and kind of watery.

Overall, not very pleasant. Treacly sweetness with odd bitterness didn't jibe well. It does get a little better as it warms and I get through the bottle.

2.13/5  rDev -40%

Really worse then I expected. Smell is almost non-existant. What is there smells a little soapy. Appearance is about the only thing I can give it any points on. Light amber in color. Very bubbly. Nice white head. Flavor though? Very off. Not hoppy at all, and they are calling this an IPA? Almost get a bit of a Bock taste someplace in the middle, but it is quickly lost. Leaving this beer only a small step above nationals. I love the He-Brew line, but Coney is not impressing me.

2.15/5  rDev -39.4%

Look: Orangish yellow color with 1 finger foamy head and no retention

Smell: Some citrus hops alittle orange and a bit of sweetness from the malt

Taste: Burnt malt with a bit of citrus. Very acidic and was very hard to drink

Mouthfeel: Medium body lots of carbonation

Overall: This beer was awful. To date I cant think of a beer that was harder to drink than this one. It tasted like that acidic taste left in your mouth after you throw up. Just awful

2.35/5  rDev -33.8%

A - Pours an amber color with a thin, foamy head that dissipates quickly

S- Strong hop presence. The lager yeast comes through a bit. Hints of citrus and grapefruit

T - Fairly clean at first. The lager yeast definitely dominates the pallet. Little bit of grapefruit undertones. Hoppy, IPA-esque bitterness on the finish. From start to finish, its a mess of contradicting flavors

M - Very clean, medium body

O - What caught me was the IPA lager tag (IPL if you will). Having tried it, I'm glad I bought it, but a standard IPA would have done much better. If you're looking for hops, try Stone's IPA. The lager yeast kills this one with a strange and unwelcome flavor and mouthfeel.

2.35/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a dark golden with a one finger head that quickly disipates. Smell is unique to me. Hops have an almost fruity smell not the pine or citrus that I'm used to. The malt come through, which I appreciate. Taste is kind of all over the place (not in a balanced way though). The astringency makes the linger very short and the alcohol is somewhat boozey and sticks out a bit. When I first heard of the concept of using lager yeast in an IPA (an IPL if you will) I thought "that's neat how come lots of brewers aren't doing this?" After tasting this I can see why. I'm not choking it down as the name probably suggests, but I won't be getting it again.

2.58/5  rDev -27.3%

A - clear golden color with a decent head; leaves nice lacing

S - blend of floral and citrus hop, some malt and a hint of oxidation

T - somewhat coarse hop flavor at start and up to the finish which has a moderate bitterness; coarse flavor clings to the tongue; malt is confusing but is supportive; alcohol flavors are noticed and add to the confusion

M - medium body, moderate to high carbonation

D - I didn't really care for this beer - and I don't think it's very well done (brewed) either. I don't know if the bottle was an old one or not - there is no freshness date on the bottle. The hop flavors are coarse and indistinct and the malt is confused: the hop selections don't blend well with peppery rye characters. The alcohol flavors don't blend well either. Too bad, I was looking forward to something different and refreshing based on the marketing.

2.8/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle from Pacific Ranch Market. And now, it's time to indulge my inner beer freak:

There's a lot of carbonation racing throuhg in the body of this dark straw, apricot colored beer. The head is a finger's thick and holding well, leaves great lacing in the glass. Its aroma brings things down a level. A little grassy with a dirty grapefruit nose. Not sure what it is, but the flavor is a little messy with some strongish malt presence. The plain bitterness with the solvent alcohol don't do many favors for this beer. Lots of honeyed bread taste from the malt. In comes a squirt of citrus. Malty sweet aftertaste.

I'm a fan of Coney Island Lager, but not of the Sword Swallower. The latter tries to do too much, and as a result, is too much for my palate.

2.83/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured form 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Very light colored and hazy , very little head and no lacing to speak of

Smell is sweet and spicy with not a lot of hop fragrance to speak of

The body of the beer is nice , really feel like you are getting a drink of something , not too much carbonation , silky and full

Taste is more of a spicy and very bitter , almost a pepper type flavor , no tastes of hops that I have had before ,very bitter and you can taste the alcohol in it pretty good

Over all I didnt enjoy this beer , Its drinkable , I know its supposed to be an IPA Style Lager , but it just didnt hit the mark for me

2.88/5  rDev -18.9%

Ap- hazy light amber in color. Faint head with not very good retention.

Ar- Fruity, orange or citrus smells. Doesn't smell overly hoppy to me. Lager yeast is definitely present.

T- Lager yeast is the first thing you taste, then some orange/citrus flavors. The aftertaste is probably the best part, the hops seem to pull through at the end.

M- Nice carbonation, crisp, medium feel. Almost a little sticky.

O- Decent beer, but the lager yeast is something I guess I don't really care for. Maybe it would be better if I was more used to it. An interesting mix of tastes though!

Coney Island Sword Swallower from Shmaltz Brewing Company