Coney Island Human Blockhead - Shmaltz Brewing Company

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Doppelbock |  10.00% ABV

"Imperial American Bock"

(Beer added by: getalife2k5 on 06-23-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coney Island Human Blockhead Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

stogirelli, Dec 14, 2013

mychalg9, Nov 29, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Shmaltz's Coney Island Human Blockhead last month for $5.33 at Toskey Sands Market. I've never had any of these Coney Island beers from Shmaltz and I thought It's about time I finally give one a try and I thought I would start off with their Doppelbock, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, I like the freak show theme to these beers and the artwork looks good. It poured a nice hazy mahogany color that took on more of a copper/ruby hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness that had a molasses like aroma to it followed by loads of malts that impart some sweet malt, caramel malt, brown bread, and toffee like aromas. Up next comes light alcohol aroma followed by a big dark fruit aroma that seems to stick out the most in this beer. This beer had a good aroma that was true to style, but it was still pretty damn sweet smelling..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a molasses like flavor to it followed by loads of malts that impart some very sweet malts, caramel malt, brown bread, caramel, toasted, and toffee like flavors. Up next comes some sweet alcohol that is fairly noticeable and It's followed by a pretty nice dark fruit flavor with no single fruit seeming to sticking out the most. On the finish there's a light earthy flavor that might be from some hops and there's a medium amount of bitterness with a toffee, malty, and dark fruit like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but the sweetness holds it back a little.

M- Not that smooth, sticky, rich, a little boozy, slightly cloying, creamy, full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel, but it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but the sweetness was about a step higher then it needed to be and it got to the point of being slightly cloying and that held this beer back a little. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't that smooth, it was a little cloying, a little boozy, a little filling, but the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think half a bomber is the right amount for me, a full bomber might start to wear on me towards the end. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style and it was and the appearance, I thought they were both pretty good aspects. What I liked the least about this beer was the high sweetness, I know this style is sweet, but this one went a little overboard. I might buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I think it's priced nicely but It's not the type of beer that I would buy on a regular basis. I would recommend this to fans of the style or people who don't mind strong and sweet beers. All in all I liked this beer, but I thought it was a little rough around the edges, if the sweetness was toned down a little and the alcohol was hidden a little better then this would be a pretty great Doppelbock, but as it stands now it it's nice, but not great. Nice work guys, I'll have to keep my eye out for more beers from this series.

StoutHunter, Nov 21, 2013