1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Coney Island Freaktoberfest - Shmaltz Brewing Company

Coney Island FreaktoberfestConey Island Freaktoberfest

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.66% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-29-2008)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coney Island Freaktoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 452 | Reviews: 267 | Show All Ratings:
Jesse13713

1.25/5  rDev -61.3%

Appearance - Poured from the bottle and immediately said, "What?" Looks identical to fruit punch or red Kool Aid. I can see the blood resemblance as well. A very sugary look overall; especially in the head. Mostly opaque with only vague transparency.

Smell - This kind of smells like some kind of animal droppings. Slight punch qualities with some kind of leafy/dried branch smell. Sort of a slight strawberry Starburst smell as well.

Taste - This tastes like it smells; which is extraordinarily unfortunate. This is bad. Really, really bad. Tastes like Strawberry Starbursts mashed into Red Kool Aid and stirred with a tree branch. About a third of the way through; this is almost unbearable. I made it about 6oz into my bottle before dumping the rest.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - A very musty, light bodied, and artificial tasting beverage. This beer is definitely one freak that will remain an outcast to me. With respect to Shmaltz, I did not like this beer at all.

03-20-2011 23:17:01 | More by Jesse13713
CuriousMonk

1.3/5  rDev -59.8%

I am going against the tide here and just cannot stand this beer. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours an odd colored beer, and this is no exception. Imagine my surprise (unsuspecting victim that I was since I bought the beer because the name seemed cool and I wanted to be daring with Shmaltz) when the pour was a candy apple red with a massive pick fizzy/foamy head. (I'm having flashbacks to Romulan Ale and Magic Hat Wacko, which are two of my most hated experiences in the last year.) Still, I'll give this one a shot. Aromas are fairly weak... a bit of dough, light brown sugar and some apple or fruit of some sort... it's hard, though, when your eyes are assaulted at every turn. Flavor is pretty non-eventful. A bit of an oktoberfest boozy graininess to it, some caramel and a funkiness that might be the dye or whatever. A tingly alcohol presence throughout.

01-27-2011 20:23:53 | More by CuriousMonk
divineaudio

1.4/5  rDev -56.7%

pint glass.

a - pours bright red with a finger's worth of pink foam on top. head quickly calms to a thin film. leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

s - tomato juice, or maybe a bloody mary.

t - sugary sweet malt with an herbal bitterness on the back of the tongue. tastes like someone dry hopped a bottle of faygo redpop.

m - medium with too much carbonation.

o - drainpour. strictly a novelty for the halloween season. try a single bottle before you buy more, because $10 for a 4pk isn't cheap, and this beer is definitely not worth that price.

11-06-2011 23:06:07 | More by divineaudio
DefenCorps

Oregon

1.43/5  rDev -55.7%

I picked this up on a whim today. $1.99. I need to make room in my fridge for Nugget Nectar, so it's time to clear out the dross.

What the fuck is this? Pouring a cough syrup red with a pink head that recedes to a ring, this looks rather gross. The nose is rather horrific too. Cereal, vegetal, metallic and solvent are present, perfectly balanced in a way to bring up as much bile as possible. Earthy, mineral hops are present as well, along with a nice pilsner malt aroma, but good lord, that opening combination is bad enough to shake your faith in beer and its ability to solve the problems of the world.

The palate opens with a blend of bitterness and fruitiness that is rather unpleasant. It makes me think I'm being force fed noble hops drizzled with artificial cherry syrup with artificial sweeteners. There's a grainy, husky tannin character that's harsh and unpleasant. Bitter on the finish with a mix of grain and hops, this is offensive and a waste of my time and money.

01-29-2011 02:36:22 | More by DefenCorps
phisig137

1.48/5  rDev -54.2%

A- Bomber pours into my pint glass a deep red, with a one finger bright pink head. Poor retention, no lace. Looks like mildly carbonated Kool-aid. Why?

S- Not a whole lot going on here. Zero hop presence, and only a faint whiff of stale malt. Again, disappointing.

T- Much like the aroma... not much going on. Thin and insipid in the beginning and middle. Finish is harsh, metallic, and an odd chemical flavor as well. Its almost like all you can taste are the defects.

M- thin, under carbonated, boring.

D- I'm about half way through my first glass, and I think the rest might be a drain pour.

Extraordinarily disappointing beer from a brewery that usually produces extremely good seasonal and anniversary beers. If their other beers weren't so good, I'd expect this. But this is an abomination compared to everything else they make. I want my $4.99 back.

Listen up Shmaltz... the next time I see a beer this color from you, it had better be from the pomegranates . So disappointed...

09-13-2008 23:53:57 | More by phisig137
Halcyondays

1.5/5  rDev -53.6%

22 oz. bottle,

A: Pours an Anaheim Angel red into a pint glass with a medium pink head, weird look, similar to Lindeman's Framboise. It turned my tongue a bright red.

S: Smell is quite light, got some grain notes, some hay and earth from the hops.

T: Taste gives a very rough grain component, with some grassy hops which is an OK flavour. It goes downhill with this bad cold medicine ending like Red Grape Dimetapp which really ruins the beer, could it be due to the artificial colour, I don't know, but it certainly wasn't enjoyable.

M: No real problems here, kind of watery, light/medium body, medicinal.

D: The ending flavour certainly lowers the drinkablity for me, I'll try to finish the bottle, but it won't be easy. Next time I see it, skip. I've enjoyed the other Shmaltz beers I've had to this point, so I was surprised at how poor this one ended up being. Drain pour.

10-07-2008 03:56:48 | More by Halcyondays
Converge

Alberta (Canada)

1.7/5  rDev -47.4%

355ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass. A fall seasonal and it's February, not a great start...

A - Big fluffy head, light-pink in color. The beer is, as advertised, blood red. Quite hazy as well. Nice head retention, but not much for lacing.

S - My first reaction is, it smells like I'll be re-reviewing this again when it isn't outdated. Tomato soup is strong, really vegetal. Absurd candy-like, syrupy sweetness is still clearly made out. I'm both scared and intrigued to taste this; but I suppose that's what they want?

T - Oh god, this is gross. I'm dreading the fact that after this glass, I still have three more bottles; and unfortunately, I'm not one to drain pour. Slick syrupy sweetness, totally artificial and cloying. I can taste that this beer once had a hop flavor to it, but the hops have long passed their time. Some random buttery caramel malt appears in the finish next to the acetone like feel it already has. Still sort of vegetal. Beyond disgusting.

M - Carbonation is a little on the flat side. Body is fairly light, but still pretty slick and syrupy. Not nice here either.

D - I feel kind of bad due to this review being based off a bottle terribly outdated, but I can't fathom this could be an enjoyable brew at any point in it's life time. The sad part is, after I choke down this 4 pack, I know I have to revisit this one next Fall, and give it a fair trial.

02-18-2012 06:38:06 | More by Converge
lumpher

1.78/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Smell -- bitter hops. i like hops, but not like that

Mouthfeel -- watery; no feel. felt like fizzy red carbonated water

hops -- dug out of the expired bin. the hops were present, but couldn't identify what kind

flavor -- big red meets ginger ale with an alcohol twang. still managed to have no character

Serving type: bottle into a glass to try to enhance what it didn't have

tried to give the beer some character with the label, but only managed to give it a wierd factor

06-30-2010 00:49:28 | More by lumpher
gonzo46and2

1.8/5  rDev -44.3%

Pours a fruit punchy red with a pink head. Not at all a long lasting head.

Smell isn't what you'd expect for the appearance or the style of beer it is. I get a not so special pale ale aroma of dust, funk, dark malt and hops. Gets a bit medicinal as well.

Taste is a bit bitter with a hop profile a bit of malt sweetness. Gets to an unpleasant bitter towards the end.

Mouthfeel is thick and has medium carbonation. Long bitter finish.

Drinkability. Tough to call. This may go down the drain. I have a 1pt 6oz bottle only a quarter the way down.

09-09-2008 04:12:26 | More by gonzo46and2
hardy008

1.88/5  rDev -41.8%

Bright red with a small pink head with good retention and lacing. This is one seriously weird looking beer. Smells like grain, with some sweetness. Not much else.

Tastes sweet with grain and some herbs. It surprises me how bland this beer is. Also has an artificial taste which is hard to describe. One thing is certain, I don't like it.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Just not a good beer. The whole gimmick is the label art, and the color of the beer inside. A failure of a beer.

11-03-2012 03:34:45 | More by hardy008
PEBKAC

1.95/5  rDev -39.6%

Getting nostalgic over brunch with my brother(particularly, remembering juice boxes of Ecto Cooler that would accompany our school lunches), this beer get mentioned & subsequently reached for in & underneath my still to unpack luggage.

Brewed one time for Halloween. Questionably fresh, but since it was being served at EBF, I'm assuming the grotesque amounts of red no.6 has preserved it well enough to show.

Poured into a 24oz iced tea tumbler. The color is a cross between violet & cranberry. The head is pink & wispy, leaving just a trail a film. Darker then kriek or negligently mixed Kool-Aid, we can't help but giggle & gasp & lose appetite for out lunch all at the same time.

Smell-wise, hugely disappointing. We were honestly expecting something resembling 10% fruit juice. Confusing scents of toffee, raisins, grass, & scorched newspaper. No one wants to drink it now.

Unless it makes me vomit, as a rule, I don't throw beer out. So I close my eyes & take a sip.

Bitter rind & grassy notes are my first impressions. Stale caramel, mixed nuts, & newspaper on the follow through. Piny hops make a sincere impression. Carbonation is micro-beaded. The feel, slightly wheaty & itchy. A little dirty with the flavor of soil. You can't help but clench your throat when it hits your tongue. The color makes any other notion but citrus-y sweet seemingly unpalatable. Finish is plastic-y. My mouth is a bit numb.

Try as I might, I(my brother bowed early) can't finish this. I'm just not that coordinated enough to eat & drink with my eyes completely shut.

A pretty hoppy amber with a disinfected dead malt profile all together dyed the color of fruit punch. I'd sooner mix in half a He'Brew Origin & some Gatorade mix & lie to myself rather then endure this again.

A headache sinks in & that is the end of that. :|

03-28-2009 04:06:30 | More by PEBKAC
ChanChan

1.95/5  rDev -39.6%

I had this beer on tap at where else-- Yeah the Blue Palms, yada-yada-yada!

Appearance: Dark red but not bright red closer to a brown than to a burgundy.

Aroma: Not much there just a faint smell of grain, no hops whatsoever.

Taste: Wow! This beer reminds me of a Budweiser Chelada. It feels like it in the palate too. It has a taste of burnt sugar and some artificial flavors that I can not pin-point.

Drinkability: I could not finish this beer.

Overall: I did not enjoy this beer at all. It was a chore to drink the few ounces I did. Not my kind of beer I guess.

09-27-2011 04:09:45 | More by ChanChan
cjgator3

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz bottle

A- Pours a blood red color with a light pink colored head. I am not going to bitch about the color of this beer, I actually think it is quite fitting for a Halloween themed beer.

S- Not much going on in the aroma. There are some hints of malt, but not much.

T- The taste like the aroma is pretty subpar. There is some grainy malt with a pretty weird slightly bitter aftertaste that I find to be somewhat offensive.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- I am not a huge fan of the taste of this beer. It has an odd aftertaste and the alcohol sticks out far too much for a beer under 7% ABV. Interesting concept for a holiday themed beer, but they need to go back to the drawing board on the flavor.

10-15-2008 04:20:24 | More by cjgator3
lehkost

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

I am not going to go into great detail here, since if I were to, I'd contravene the policies regarding negativity in reviews.

I feel that this beer is more marketing than substance, that the red color, while a trademark of the product, is offputting, and that, on pretty much every other level, this is south of average in smell, taste, mouthfeel and drinkability than its counterparts from other breweries.

10-01-2009 16:54:34 | More by lehkost
kkipple

South Carolina

2.08/5  rDev -35.6%

My friend yelled and stepped back upon seeing this Icee-red beer splash into his glass. I chuckled, but upon further inspection became more than a little disturbed. This beer looks like cherry Kool-Aid, Hi-C punch and every other artificial red-dye drink you quaffed as a hyperactive child. There is NO indication on the bottle that you're buying something so blatantly dyed. Reinheitsgebot, my buttocks! In sum: this is fake, bright red fizzy beer that has no reason to be.

Smells like... well, not a whole lot. Vague bitter hops, not citrusy or piny, just bitter. Boring and lifeless as the Dead Sea.

Even closing your eyes as you drink this crap doesn't help; this is flat-out awful. Thin, watery and bitter with an absolutely uninteresting, timid malt profile -- is this some sort of Yiddish joke on us Gents? By the rod of Moses, what is going on here? Shmaltz is capable of making good beer (Lenny's, etc) but this is an embarrassment.

Mouthfeel -- oh, why bother? You don't want this beer any more than I did. It's a gimmick beer that fails miserably.

I honestly think Shmaltz had a batch fail on 'em and rather than dump it, they simply dyed it red and shuffled it out the door. Shameful.

Note to Shmaltz brewers: If you're going to make an off the wall red-40 beer, at least make something worth drinking. Dank!

09-15-2008 16:02:56 | More by kkipple
antlerwrestler19

Nebraska

2.08/5  rDev -35.6%

Pours bright ruby red almost like a cloudy cherry koolaid with a strawberry cream colored head that fades leaving some lacing. The smell is a bit fruity like cranberries and raspberries but fades off into a grainy corny maltiness. The taste is almost insulting, the sweet fruitiness one would expect from a beer of this color hardly comes forward before it is overtaken by a grainy body that brings forth a harsh chemical-like flavor that rests on the back of the tongue. The mouthfeel is pretty basic - slight carbonation to a light/medium bodied beer. Still can't get over the weird chemical tinge that is residing at the back of my mouth. "Gimmicky or Good? BOTH!" is written on the bottle and I beg to differ, just gimmicky, not good - not sure what they were thinking on this one.

Cheers??

10-04-2011 02:14:45 | More by antlerwrestler19
bashiba

Iowa

2.1/5  rDev -35%

Poured a strange fake red color with a bright pink head. Looks fake and terrible. Fruit Punch like.

The nose has just a touch of toasted malt with a hint of floral hops.

The taste is very one dimensional has a light bit toasted malt, but then is quickly taken over by a strong coppery bitterness that lingers on and on and covers all the other flavors up.

Mouthfeel is oily and coating leaving the unpleasant flavor soaking into your tongue.

Not good, I would pass on this with the highlight being the nifty label.

09-13-2008 21:52:12 | More by bashiba
tipnsip

2.1/5  rDev -35%

Brilliant packaging! Fun color! Entertaining Shmaltz notation! But yikes ... this beer was almost difficult to suck down.

It looks like "Red Pop" - even the head is pinkish. It's bitter, kind of medium bodied and really not very exciting.

Although I couldn't find "red dye no. x" on the label, I swear there was the faint taste of food coloring in each sip.

It'd be a fun beer for a Halloween party but maybe just for a glass.

09-24-2009 17:02:52 | More by tipnsip
EgadBananas

Louisiana

2.1/5  rDev -35%

When the bartender brought this over, I seriously almost asked him to take it back, because he clearly poured the wrong beer. Nope. It was oddly correct. Style claims a red, but I don't know if initial appearance swayed that choice. The name clearly implies novelty Oktoberfest though... and away we go...

Clearly the name is not the only novelty aspect of the beer. Deep, transparent red, with a frothy pink head. Dissipates quickly to look like punch in my glass.

At least the aroma was not strawberry. Muted malts, slight sweetness, tart.

There's really nothing Oktoberfest about this. Slight malts and sweetness play second (or third) fiddle to an intense, stabbing astringency.

The mouth is probably the beer's best quality. It's light, with light carbonation, with a pleasant slick, almost creamy character.

This thing was just off. Novelty aside (6.66% abv. I get it. It's not making me laugh, but I get it.), theres nothing right and just about this thing. I'm afraid this will take up good tap space for a long time. Please be only a sixth keg!

10-03-2010 14:23:09 | More by EgadBananas
Pahn

2.1/5  rDev -35%

12oz bottle into Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch, foamy pink head that dissipates slowly. Pours a semi-opaque red. I want to score it lower, since it looks like some kind of weird juice concoction... it looks very offputting, but it's intentional, so maybe I need to give them a break or something (the logic I'm using here isn't clear to me, but not interesting enough to think about further).

Smell: Very faint smell of fruit punch and fainter smell of lager yeast. With warmth, some breadiness comes out, resulting in a smell of sweet, bready Kool-Aid. I want to believe that the beer doesn't actually smell like this and that I'm experiencing some kind of placebo effect from the appearance. The score would be low anyway, though; I can barely smell this beer.

Taste: First sip: smooth, nice balance of sweet malt and mild herbal hops, with some yeasty breadiness at the end. A little bland, but enjoyable.

In subsequent sips, the beer quickly becomes sickly sweet and syrupy. There's some interesting flavors in the finish, but also a very unpleasant bitterness. It's sugary up front, tasting pretty close to cotton candy, then too bitter at the end. It started stronger, but now it's kind of sickening.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with mild carbonation. It's smooth; not creamy, not watery, not juicy, not chalky, just "smooth". Not bad but not particularly interesting either.

Drinkability: Poured half of the bottle down the drain. No interest in trying again. In fact, less interested in trying any of the Coney Island Lagers after this atrocity.

Sometimes, I strongly dislike a beer for promising something good with the smell, then underdelivering. This beer makes good on the halfhearted promise of its unpleasant aroma.

12-21-2010 03:31:50 | More by Pahn
bucklemyshoe

Georgia

2.13/5  rDev -34.1%

12 oz bottle. Mug.

A: Dark red pour; tan head. Nothing eventful here.

S: Pumpkin, potent maltiness, and a touch of citrus.

T: Strong caramel, toffee, apples, pumpkin, allspice, and alcohol.

M: Medium-thick and too sticky.

O: There is a lot wrong with this. Alcohol tasted at only 6.66%, way too sticky-sweet, too many conflicting flavors, and demonic art work on the bottle looking at me.

02-13-2012 14:48:49 | More by bucklemyshoe
quinnsi

2.15/5  rDev -33.4%

Tasted at delilah's during their Oktoberfest night

A: Very bright red beer with a thick head of grossly pink foam. Not off to a good start here...

S: Not too much going on with the nose...Some bland malt notes and note a whole lot more.

T: At first I thought it was in my head due to the odd color, but the beer tasted very bitter - and not in a good way. I later was told the color came from pomegranate, and I think the tartness of the juice is not working well with this beer. Malt sweetness can also be tasted, but frankly the bitterness/astringency is ruining everything.

D: Didn't even want to finish what was in my tasting glass....I made sure to wash it out before drinking anything else...not a fan.

10-16-2009 04:00:48 | More by quinnsi
Landfill21

2.15/5  rDev -33.4%

Purchased this beer because I love octoberfest (marzen) beers and the label in this is wicked.

Pours into a bright red color with a thin pink head. Wasn't expecting the bright red color at all.

Smells of tart cherries and malt.

I was not impressed with the taste. It was hard to pinpoint the taste but it was not enjoyable.

Mouthfeel I was not impressed with either. It was ver light and heavily carbonated.

The drinkability is awful.

I wouldn't recomend this brew

10-22-2010 00:56:23 | More by Landfill21
Slynger

2.17/5  rDev -32.8%

Ick. Deep rosey pink color, with a lid of the same tint.

Not much in the nose, some sweetness and some toasted graininess.

More stuff in the taste, but not really better. Toasted and lightly sugar-dusted grain with peppery spicy and bitter hops. Medium bodied with a decent feel, I guess, but it's difficult to get by the unpleasant flavors.

A unique beer that I will never try again unless drastic changes are made. Can't ever finish the bottle. What a waste of money.

09-23-2008 01:29:13 | More by Slynger
Blakaeris

Iowa

2.17/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours clear red (not copper - RED). Head is pink and frothy, dissipating quickly but leaving sheets of lacing. I am now quickly realizing that this is not the Oktoberfest style brew I had been expecting, but is instead a red lager. It's freaky. I get it. That's fine with me.

Aroma is sweet and malty, but not complex. Very mild overall. Some grainyness and a hint of subtle hops.

Taste starts off with an artificial sweetner character. Mixed tropical fruit notes. Lightly nutty with a bit of metallic twang. Some earthy, spicy hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel is under-carbonated. I'm left looking for something more.

The flavor starts off with an artificial overly sweet maltiness that is not brought into balance. Even the malt profile lacks any subtleties; such as a pleasant toasted, or biscuit quality. This is a beer that is disjointed, and mediocre at best. There are too many good beers out there for me to waste my time on this one again...

10-08-2008 21:53:53 | More by Blakaeris