Coney Island Freaktoberfest - Shmaltz Brewing Company

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.66% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-29-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coney Island Freaktoberfest Alström Bros

litheum94, Nov 29, 2011

BhojanBevGuy, Oct 16, 2012

daysinthewake, Nov 21, 2011

barnzy78, Nov 25, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -61.3%

Appearance - Poured from the bottle and immediately said, "What?" Looks identical to fruit punch or red Kool Aid. I can see the blood resemblance as well. A very sugary look overall; especially in the head. Mostly opaque with only vague transparency.

Smell - This kind of smells like some kind of animal droppings. Slight punch qualities with some kind of leafy/dried branch smell. Sort of a slight strawberry Starburst smell as well.

Taste - This tastes like it smells; which is extraordinarily unfortunate. This is bad. Really, really bad. Tastes like Strawberry Starbursts mashed into Red Kool Aid and stirred with a tree branch. About a third of the way through; this is almost unbearable. I made it about 6oz into my bottle before dumping the rest.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - A very musty, light bodied, and artificial tasting beverage. This beer is definitely one freak that will remain an outcast to me. With respect to Shmaltz, I did not like this beer at all.

Jesse13713, Mar 20, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -59.8%

I am going against the tide here and just cannot stand this beer. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours an odd colored beer, and this is no exception. Imagine my surprise (unsuspecting victim that I was since I bought the beer because the name seemed cool and I wanted to be daring with Shmaltz) when the pour was a candy apple red with a massive pick fizzy/foamy head. (I'm having flashbacks to Romulan Ale and Magic Hat Wacko, which are two of my most hated experiences in the last year.) Still, I'll give this one a shot. Aromas are fairly weak... a bit of dough, light brown sugar and some apple or fruit of some sort... it's hard, though, when your eyes are assaulted at every turn. Flavor is pretty non-eventful. A bit of an oktoberfest boozy graininess to it, some caramel and a funkiness that might be the dye or whatever. A tingly alcohol presence throughout.

CuriousMonk, Jan 27, 2011
1.4/5  rDev -56.7%

pint glass.

a - pours bright red with a finger's worth of pink foam on top. head quickly calms to a thin film. leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

s - tomato juice, or maybe a bloody mary.

t - sugary sweet malt with an herbal bitterness on the back of the tongue. tastes like someone dry hopped a bottle of faygo redpop.

m - medium with too much carbonation.

o - drainpour. strictly a novelty for the halloween season. try a single bottle before you buy more, because $10 for a 4pk isn't cheap, and this beer is definitely not worth that price.

divineaudio, Nov 06, 2011
1.43/5  rDev -55.7%

I picked this up on a whim today. $1.99. I need to make room in my fridge for Nugget Nectar, so it's time to clear out the dross.

What the fuck is this? Pouring a cough syrup red with a pink head that recedes to a ring, this looks rather gross. The nose is rather horrific too. Cereal, vegetal, metallic and solvent are present, perfectly balanced in a way to bring up as much bile as possible. Earthy, mineral hops are present as well, along with a nice pilsner malt aroma, but good lord, that opening combination is bad enough to shake your faith in beer and its ability to solve the problems of the world.

The palate opens with a blend of bitterness and fruitiness that is rather unpleasant. It makes me think I'm being force fed noble hops drizzled with artificial cherry syrup with artificial sweeteners. There's a grainy, husky tannin character that's harsh and unpleasant. Bitter on the finish with a mix of grain and hops, this is offensive and a waste of my time and money.

DefenCorps, Jan 29, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -54.2%

A- Bomber pours into my pint glass a deep red, with a one finger bright pink head. Poor retention, no lace. Looks like mildly carbonated Kool-aid. Why?

S- Not a whole lot going on here. Zero hop presence, and only a faint whiff of stale malt. Again, disappointing.

T- Much like the aroma... not much going on. Thin and insipid in the beginning and middle. Finish is harsh, metallic, and an odd chemical flavor as well. Its almost like all you can taste are the defects.

M- thin, under carbonated, boring.

D- I'm about half way through my first glass, and I think the rest might be a drain pour.

Extraordinarily disappointing beer from a brewery that usually produces extremely good seasonal and anniversary beers. If their other beers weren't so good, I'd expect this. But this is an abomination compared to everything else they make. I want my $4.99 back.

Listen up Shmaltz... the next time I see a beer this color from you, it had better be from the pomegranates . So disappointed...

phisig137, Sep 13, 2008

sendbeer, Dec 15, 2012

vencad, Mar 04, 2012

22 oz. bottle,

A: Pours an Anaheim Angel red into a pint glass with a medium pink head, weird look, similar to Lindeman's Framboise. It turned my tongue a bright red.

S: Smell is quite light, got some grain notes, some hay and earth from the hops.

T: Taste gives a very rough grain component, with some grassy hops which is an OK flavour. It goes downhill with this bad cold medicine ending like Red Grape Dimetapp which really ruins the beer, could it be due to the artificial colour, I don't know, but it certainly wasn't enjoyable.

M: No real problems here, kind of watery, light/medium body, medicinal.

D: The ending flavour certainly lowers the drinkablity for me, I'll try to finish the bottle, but it won't be easy. Next time I see it, skip. I've enjoyed the other Shmaltz beers I've had to this point, so I was surprised at how poor this one ended up being. Drain pour.

Halcyondays, Oct 07, 2008
1.7/5  rDev -47.4%

355ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass. A fall seasonal and it's February, not a great start...

A - Big fluffy head, light-pink in color. The beer is, as advertised, blood red. Quite hazy as well. Nice head retention, but not much for lacing.

S - My first reaction is, it smells like I'll be re-reviewing this again when it isn't outdated. Tomato soup is strong, really vegetal. Absurd candy-like, syrupy sweetness is still clearly made out. I'm both scared and intrigued to taste this; but I suppose that's what they want?

T - Oh god, this is gross. I'm dreading the fact that after this glass, I still have three more bottles; and unfortunately, I'm not one to drain pour. Slick syrupy sweetness, totally artificial and cloying. I can taste that this beer once had a hop flavor to it, but the hops have long passed their time. Some random buttery caramel malt appears in the finish next to the acetone like feel it already has. Still sort of vegetal. Beyond disgusting.

M - Carbonation is a little on the flat side. Body is fairly light, but still pretty slick and syrupy. Not nice here either.

D - I feel kind of bad due to this review being based off a bottle terribly outdated, but I can't fathom this could be an enjoyable brew at any point in it's life time. The sad part is, after I choke down this 4 pack, I know I have to revisit this one next Fall, and give it a fair trial.

Converge, Feb 18, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -45.8%

dertyd, Mar 04, 2014
1.78/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Smell -- bitter hops. i like hops, but not like that

Mouthfeel -- watery; no feel. felt like fizzy red carbonated water

hops -- dug out of the expired bin. the hops were present, but couldn't identify what kind

flavor -- big red meets ginger ale with an alcohol twang. still managed to have no character

Serving type: bottle into a glass to try to enhance what it didn't have

tried to give the beer some character with the label, but only managed to give it a wierd factor

lumpher, Jun 30, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -44.3%

Pours a fruit punchy red with a pink head. Not at all a long lasting head.

Smell isn't what you'd expect for the appearance or the style of beer it is. I get a not so special pale ale aroma of dust, funk, dark malt and hops. Gets a bit medicinal as well.

Taste is a bit bitter with a hop profile a bit of malt sweetness. Gets to an unpleasant bitter towards the end.

Mouthfeel is thick and has medium carbonation. Long bitter finish.

Drinkability. Tough to call. This may go down the drain. I have a 1pt 6oz bottle only a quarter the way down.

gonzo46and2, Sep 09, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -41.8%

Bright red with a small pink head with good retention and lacing. This is one seriously weird looking beer. Smells like grain, with some sweetness. Not much else.

Tastes sweet with grain and some herbs. It surprises me how bland this beer is. Also has an artificial taste which is hard to describe. One thing is certain, I don't like it.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Just not a good beer. The whole gimmick is the label art, and the color of the beer inside. A failure of a beer.

hardy008, Nov 03, 2012
1.95/5  rDev -39.6%

Getting nostalgic over brunch with my brother(particularly, remembering juice boxes of Ecto Cooler that would accompany our school lunches), this beer get mentioned & subsequently reached for in & underneath my still to unpack luggage.

Brewed one time for Halloween. Questionably fresh, but since it was being served at EBF, I'm assuming the grotesque amounts of red no.6 has preserved it well enough to show.

Poured into a 24oz iced tea tumbler. The color is a cross between violet & cranberry. The head is pink & wispy, leaving just a trail a film. Darker then kriek or negligently mixed Kool-Aid, we can't help but giggle & gasp & lose appetite for out lunch all at the same time.

Smell-wise, hugely disappointing. We were honestly expecting something resembling 10% fruit juice. Confusing scents of toffee, raisins, grass, & scorched newspaper. No one wants to drink it now.

Unless it makes me vomit, as a rule, I don't throw beer out. So I close my eyes & take a sip.

Bitter rind & grassy notes are my first impressions. Stale caramel, mixed nuts, & newspaper on the follow through. Piny hops make a sincere impression. Carbonation is micro-beaded. The feel, slightly wheaty & itchy. A little dirty with the flavor of soil. You can't help but clench your throat when it hits your tongue. The color makes any other notion but citrus-y sweet seemingly unpalatable. Finish is plastic-y. My mouth is a bit numb.

Try as I might, I(my brother bowed early) can't finish this. I'm just not that coordinated enough to eat & drink with my eyes completely shut.

A pretty hoppy amber with a disinfected dead malt profile all together dyed the color of fruit punch. I'd sooner mix in half a He'Brew Origin & some Gatorade mix & lie to myself rather then endure this again.

A headache sinks in & that is the end of that. :|

PEBKAC, Mar 28, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -39.6%

I had this beer on tap at where else-- Yeah the Blue Palms, yada-yada-yada!

Appearance: Dark red but not bright red closer to a brown than to a burgundy.

Aroma: Not much there just a faint smell of grain, no hops whatsoever.

Taste: Wow! This beer reminds me of a Budweiser Chelada. It feels like it in the palate too. It has a taste of burnt sugar and some artificial flavors that I can not pin-point.

Drinkability: I could not finish this beer.

Overall: I did not enjoy this beer at all. It was a chore to drink the few ounces I did. Not my kind of beer I guess.

ChanChan, Sep 27, 2011

Twifiter, Oct 25, 2012
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz bottle

A- Pours a blood red color with a light pink colored head. I am not going to bitch about the color of this beer, I actually think it is quite fitting for a Halloween themed beer.

S- Not much going on in the aroma. There are some hints of malt, but not much.

T- The taste like the aroma is pretty subpar. There is some grainy malt with a pretty weird slightly bitter aftertaste that I find to be somewhat offensive.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- I am not a huge fan of the taste of this beer. It has an odd aftertaste and the alcohol sticks out far too much for a beer under 7% ABV. Interesting concept for a holiday themed beer, but they need to go back to the drawing board on the flavor.

cjgator3, Oct 15, 2008