1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010 - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: glid02 on 05-27-2010)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 119 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
FLima

Brazil

3.69/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Loved its name, very funny.
Hazy brown color with a thin head with short retention.
Very nice aroma of grapes and dark fruits, Belgian yeast and some booze.
Very malty and fruity, flavor of bubbling red wine and prunes. Notes of brown sugar, molasses, toasted malts, and piney and floral hops. Medium dry aftertaste.
Full body with low carbonation.
As it states, it is really a half Doppelbock and half Dubbel. Interesting and fine beer, but it is hard to drink the full big bottle. But made me curious to try the new 2013 release with figs.

06-25-2013 20:30:57 | More by FLima
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into a Boulevard tulip. Poured a massively dark red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, grape, bread, and dark fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, grape, and bread. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. I went into this one not really expecting too much and it definitely delivered. It was fairly good for the style, but definitely lacked complexity in my opinion. I know they said it was the year of the grape on this bottle, but maybe they should have tried something else??? If you like grapes in your brew this one is for you, but if not, I wouldn’t bother.

07-06-2012 10:54:34 | More by thagr81us
Pahn

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 1/4 inch bonewhite head that dissipates quickly. Pours a hazy dark red and leaves no lacing.

Smell: Sugary malt with some grape undertones. Some clove-y/fig-y Belgian yeast. Very inviting. Grape tinge plus dark fruit makes it a bit red wine-like. Sharp kind of watery note (sounds weird, but I don't know how else to describe it) present as well, but mainly fluffy sweet pastries with grape and Belgian yeast highlights. Makes me want to drink it.

Taste: Pastry like malt up front, grape juice through the middle, watery finish that gets redeemed by an estery Belgian yeast-forward aftertaste. Same powerful Belgian dubbel flavors present up front in the next sip, followed by some chocolaty flavors and a caramely finish. Stays pretty diverse and tasty.

While this is half doppelbock, half dubbel, with grape juice added, I'd say it tastes more like 80% dubbel, 20% doppelbock, with some grape highlights. Regardless, it's consistently more satisfying than the previous year's Year of the Date.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Bit overcarbonated. Nice dryness in finish. Flavors would benefit from some smoothness/creaminess.

Overall: Not on par with Shmaltz's best beers (e.g. Jewbelation 13 original release was revelatory), but very satisfying. Huge step up from the 2009 Rejewvenator.

06-16-2012 04:01:02 | More by Pahn
TATURBO

A: Copper color. 4/5

S: Grapes, Astringent Malt, Belgian Yeast. Inviting overall 4/5

T: Grapey Meets Bock Maltyness. Interesting mix of styles. 3.5/5

M: Medium Carbonation 3.5/5

O: Glad I tired this one. Not sure I'd really crave it again though but not bad either. Interesting is my best description for this one. 3.5/5

04-26-2012 16:05:19 | More by TATURBO
metter98

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear reddish amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin beige head that quickly died down, leaving patches of bubbles on the surface and a thick ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of Concord grapes in the nose along with some notes of malts.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has notes of raisins. There is a slight amount of sweetness with no apparent sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The bottle says this is half doppelbock and half dubbel but I don’t really see many similarities from either of these styles. It’s pretty easy to drink considering its strength.

04-21-2012 17:16:14 | More by metter98
charlzm

2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

Consumed at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood CA on January 27, 2012.

Beer is a dark amber brown with ruby highlights. Very fine one-finger off-white to light tan head.

Not much aroma - some red grape. Tiny touch of musty malts.

Flavor is strong and none too pleasant. Tastes like Manischewitz Concord Grape wine with bitter wood accents blended with musty old malts. Kind of like sneaking some wine in a cellar. Not enjoyable!

Slightly dry on the finish, which goes a little way to ameliorating the frankly bad flavor.

It is safe to say I did not care for this beer at all, though I did manage to finish my glass.

01-31-2012 21:18:02 | More by charlzm
2378GCGTG

2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

this was aged 2 years, 22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
Appearance: Good look to start, Browish-red, with very little head, no retention, and very little lacing.

Nose: Grapes, Figs, dates, and candy sugar

Taste: Grapes and raisins at the beginning with a bit of malt and toast, then it just fades into a nasty grapey finish that is hard to overlook

Mouthfeel: Carbonation supporting a medium body, but it's impossible to shake the grape aftertaste, it carries over into the finish.

Overall: This started out nicely, but there was way too much grape and raisin- it was a drain pour for 4 out of 7 of us.

01-17-2012 13:21:47 | More by 2378GCGTG
Tucquan

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2011-12-08 in Columbia, PA

A - Mildly hazy mahogany with a 1/2 finger head that fades quickly and leaves light lacing.

S - Concord grapes, citrus, molasses, dark fruit, some floral

T - Medium roasted malt, belgian yeast, pumpernickel, less grape than in the smell, raisn/prune, orange peel bitterness, spice. Less sweet and more sour and bitter in the finish than I expected.

M - Medium-heavy body and light-medium carbonation. Creamy. Resinous.

O - I enjoyed this brew although nowhere near as much as the Lenny's R.I.P.A

12-08-2011 22:28:40 | More by Tucquan
warnerry

3.25/5  rDev -11%

A - Pours a reddish brown with very little head. Not really any lacing to speak of.

S -- As advertised, smells like a dubbel/dopplebock mix. Candi sugar, raisin, a bit of rum, caramel and grape.

T -- Similar to smell. For me, the grape presence seems out of place. An undesirable top layer on what might have been a pretty good base beer.

M -- Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. Finishes somewhat earthy and dry.

O - Interesting, but not something I would come back to.

10-08-2011 17:45:33 | More by warnerry
Callaghan

Georgia

3.43/5  rDev -6%

Poured from the tap at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Ga. I took notes at the bar, but writing this up at home. It was classified as a Belgian Dark, at Taco Mac, and was poured in to a goblet.

A: Rusty brown, hazy and with 1/2 finger head. Seemed off white, maybe cream colored, but there was hardly any light in the place. It died pretty quickly, but left a thin film of head, with moderate lacing on the glass. 11oz. pour.

S: It hits the nose with sweetness. Grapes, obviously, and a bit of hops. No alcohol present. Dark fruits in the background. It has me curious about what it will taste like...

T: Immediately, I taste sweet concord grapes, and raisins. But, it fades to more bready tastes mixed with brown sugar and molasses. Malts on the back end as well. It all happens pretty quick. It reminded me a little of grape jelly on toast. Take it for what it's worth. Not too complex, and not what I would expect from a Belgian Dark, though I will admit the menu was a little misleading. My review is based on this being a blended beer.

M: Medium to light carbonation, but a very creamy feeling. Almost heavy body, probably from the grapes and sugar. It coated the inside of the glass with a rather thick layer of brew when swirled around. The sweetness isn't overpowering, but prevent me from drinking quickly. (which I guess is a good thing...)

O: I prefer a regular Belgian Dark, or a Strong Belgian Dark. If I was a introducing a wine drinker to beer, this one would do the trick, as it has so much grape personality. But, if I want that grape character, I'll just have me a Merlot.

09-15-2011 03:42:31 | More by Callaghan
DrDemento456

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Damn I had no idea this beer was around a year old. Still I picked it up for only $5.99

A - Damn for being old I still got a creamy mocha colored head height of an inch or more. Tons of carbonation bubbles too. Color is a nice dark shade of brown but clear and see-though.

S - Ow yeah I can smell the grape juice in the nose. Also the doppelbock notes of rum, caramel, and a bit of bread.

T - Huh the grape adds a great factor to the style making it taste a bit lighter than the typical offering at this ABV. Starts a bit tart then moves to a bit of rum soaked bread with a touch of raisins and a nice bitter finish. Malty and no hops which is expected for the style.

M - Warms my belly a bit but is pretty medium bodied on the palate.

Overall it is defiantly an experience to try this "one off" beer and even though I am not really in love with it I am glad I got to try it and appreciate the company doing something like this outside the box.

09-04-2011 00:07:00 | More by DrDemento456
Brent

Kentucky

A storm left me with no power and nothing else to do but have a beer - things could be worse. Pour was an intersting purple-tinged (at least it looked that way by the light of a flashlight). Lots of caramel and brown sugar in the flavor profile. I can't say that I was able to pick out a distinct grape flavor, but there was a certain lightness imparted to the mouthfeel. Solidly in the doppelbock camp, and I got little impression of the other half of the hybred Beligan aspect. Nice, but not fantastic.

07-22-2011 14:32:18 | More by Brent
richkrull

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a darker amber brown color with a very small beige head on it.

Smell is light sweet malts with a bit of grape aroma as well.

Taste is sweet caramel malts. I don't get much of a grape taste on this one. Slightly bitter finish with some alcohol as well.

Mouthfeel is fairly light. Went down pretty easy.

Overall I thought this beer was OK. I don't know that I'd try it again though with all the other stuff out there too explore. I certainly wouldn't mind drinking it thought if somebody else bought it.

07-20-2011 19:46:47 | More by richkrull
jneiswender

2.17/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured out of a bomber bottle into a four ounce tasting glass. Served cool.

A-dark amber body with an off white head. nice head retention.

S-grapey for sure

T-subdued hop flavor makes way for malty front and a grape flavor finish

M-medium

D-not a great representation of the style. Kind of reminds me of Kool Aid.

07-20-2011 04:31:09 | More by jneiswender
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Bottle for 4.99 from Beertopia in a Celebrator glass.

This shtick makes for some good brew. It's a medium brown color with quickly fading foam. The aroma is an interesting mix of malt and fruit. the taste is interesting and almost unique. The depth and maltiness of a dopplebock with the zest of a dubbel. There's some citrus and fig and a hint of grape. It's one of the smoothness I've ever had with the aftertaste having a bit of lemon-like sting.

This brewery seems gimmicky at first but (in this instance) can produce. Mazel tov

07-20-2011 01:47:52 | More by DesMoinesMike
BeerYain

Washington

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours dark caramel with a tan head and minimal carbonation. Lacing disappears quickly and becomes non-existent if you let it sit for a spell. The nose is more of dates than grape, but the flavor is definitely manishewitz, caramel, bread and twang (is that a taste?). The fairly heavy breathy aftertaste reminds me it's got some booze in there. Can you say Pike "Kilt Lifter" with raspberry? I can! Woo!

Put it all together and you've got a really odd-tasting beer in a great way!

07-17-2011 03:53:28 | More by BeerYain
airheadmtrcycle

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours dark amber into a Duvel tulip glass. Looks thick and opaque. I don't see any sediment, but it absorbs a lot of light. You can't see through it. A wisp of a head forms but immediately dissipates into "crema-like" appearance on the surface. There is a brief lacing that slides down the glass back into the beer.

The aroma strikes me as wine-like, a red wine. So the grapes are making contribution to the aroma. The flavor is malty and the grapes give it a very slight wine-like flavor, but not nearly as strong as in the aroma. I taste some other dark fruits, perhaps dried figs or raisins. It's definitely on the sweet side. I'm not sure I could identify the grape taste if I didn't already know it was there. Seeing the grapes on the label has planted that idea in my mind so I do taste some grape juice flavor, I suppose. However, it's not a dominate part of the taste to me. I'm picking up a strong malt flavor with perhaps some candy-like sweetness like a dubbel. I'm afraid any hops that are there are well hidden by the malty sweetness.

The mouth feel is on the heavy side of medium with a low but appropriate amount of carbonation. Not as heavy as some dopplebocks I've had. Most are too heavy for me.

Not a bad beer at all. In fact it's unique and quite drinkable if only for one glass. The bomber is too much for me. I would recommend sharing it with someone. Rejewvenator 2010 surely follows the saying "a meal in a glass" used to describe dopplebocks.

07-08-2011 02:00:59 | More by airheadmtrcycle
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Reviewed from Notes.
2010 bottle of course, this was only made once to commemorate that year, with the theme of grapes in the brew.

Pours a sienna auburn color, very little head, no lacing, appears semi viscous during pour but upon swirling is revealed to not be as thick as first impression gave me...
In fact the body is creamy smooth and of only medium heft. I can swish it around in my mouth without feeling -coated- like I have been swigging cough syrup, and that's a good thing in my book. Could have used more carbonation / fizziness, however, so some points off for that.
Okay, so the bottle claims "Half Dopplebock, half Belgian-style Dubbel" so I was expecting at least a hint of Brett Funk in the nose or taste but I was sorely disappointed. Brett is completely absent. Instead, I get a huge showing of white grape juice in both the nose (primary smell is mostly white grape juice) and in the flavor, (but grapes are secondary to the malts in the taste)
I'm also missing any sort of hop presence here, and that is sad. In the end, I get much more of a Dopplebock than a Dubbel, because all of the fruity esters I receive are directly from the grape juice addition, not inherent from the native brew. Or perhaps there were some there at one time and they were simply overwhelmed, obscured by the grape juice.
The taste is complex, but also somewhat muddled and strange. I get sweet toffee, caramels, grapes, hazelnuts, and an aftertaste of faintly toasted cashews. Which is nutty enough for a brown ale!! Lots of style confusion going on here. There is already a hint of cardboard malt oxidation going on here, so I definitely would not recommend cellaring this one any longer. My gut feeling is that I may have missed the cellaring apex by several months by now, with the absence of hop character, flattening and muting of the malts, and overly-sweet grape character amplified. Some of the nutty notes seem to be starting to go buttery as well. Drink now, if its in your basement.

06-24-2011 16:21:12 | More by WastingFreetime
armock

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Bottle from BevMo in San Francisco, CA

A - Poured a rusty brown color with a tan head that leaves some lacing behind

S - Is mostly of sweet malt with grapes and Belgian yeast

T - I'm not really digging the train wreck of flavors the sweet malt and then the grapes with the Belgian yeast just do not work for me

M - This beer has a watery body with light carbonation to it

O - To me this beer just isn't worth it the blending of a Doppelbock with a Double doesn't taste good to me I like both on their own but not together pass this on by and grab something else

06-21-2011 00:24:21 | More by armock
BeerNemesis

He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010 | 500 ml. | 8.2% ABV

Brewer: Shmaltz Brewing Company (He'Brew)
Style: Doppelbock
Glass: pint

Appearance:
Somewhere between burnt umber and cherry red. Frothy 1" head and drapes of lacing along the side of the glass.

Aroma:
Barley malt, brandy, fermenting grapes, brown sugar

Taste:
Figs, barley malt, caramel, grape juice, and a touch of brown sugar. It's an odd mix, the grapes and the figs, but I like it.

Mouthfeel:
A bit thin and watery. Otherwise, it has decent carbonation.

Harmony:
It's an odd brew, but I think the doppelbock + grapes combination actually works.

Would I get it again?:

Bottled: ?
Served: June 19, 2011

06-20-2011 01:50:12 | More by BeerNemesis
OWSLEY069

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a clean orange-ish to amber color with a small tan head. In the aroma, grape, fig, raisin, and a touch of alcohol. In the taste, dark fruit, especially fig and raisin, kind of tastes like a quad and a lager mixed together. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry fading raisin flavor in the aftertaste. Quite fruity and very quad like, but thin and lager like too.

05-27-2011 13:50:56 | More by OWSLEY069
kirok1999

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Grapes....hummmm? OK, this thing is going to be one hell of a mix.
Pours dark copper/gold with no head even on a hard pour. Looks kind of lazy in the glass, clear, no legs, no fizz, no lace, nothing.
Smells of musky grapes, some kind of sweet malt in the background, cherries perhaps, a bit of caramel, very mild hops.
Taste is not at all like a Belgian dubbel and there are almost no spicy yeast notes. The doppelbock does come through though and the grapes play very well with it. The dubbel does come through a bit as it warms up and it really gets much better warm.
Finishes crisp and clean and leaves a lingering fruity note on the tongue and throat. Just a hint of carbonation livens it up enough to make it interesting. I can't really say it's well done for the style because it is a blend of styles but if you're looking for a crisp, fruity, refreshing beer then this is the ticket.

05-22-2011 22:07:16 | More by kirok1999
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.43/5  rDev -6%

"When the fox cannot reach the grapes he says they are not ripe."

--Greek proverb

Slightly more maraschino cherry red than persimmon orange when backlit with the rays of the rising sun. Three fingers of wheat colored foam was produced on the pour, features a bevy of slowly popping glassine bubbles, and does a wonderful job laying down sheets of finely dotted lace.

Maybe it's the starting chill and the still-thick disk of cream, but the nose is incredibly weak. Warming brings hints of toasted barley malt, Belgian yeastiness... and zero vinousness. Looks like the grapes are waiting to make their move on the palate.

Year Of The Grape 2010 is my least favorite of the Rejewvenator brews so far. Figs and dates marry very well with both doppelbocks and dubbels, since those two styles tend to have those flavor elements anyway. Concord grape juice is a less desirable flavor fit.

As in the first two members of the series, this 'Half Doppelbock, Half Belgian Style Dubbel' tastes most like the latter, thanks to Belgian yeast esters. Specifics include lightly toasted brown bread drizzled with caramel, a sprinkle of nonspecific spices, and a relatively subtle shot of grape juiciness. No real flavor hook hurts.

In the end, the all-important taste score is a tweener that I've decided to round up. The body/mouthfeel is big enough and is gently creamy enough to be pleasant. Can't call it a highlight, but it's one of this beer's better attributes.

After the two obvious choices (figs and dates), it looks like Shmaltz Brewing Company is going to have a tougher time finding appropriate feature fruits for the Rejewvenator series. I'd be perfectly happy if they stopped right now and turned the date-added offering into a regular release.

05-18-2011 12:03:42 | More by BuckeyeNation
TenHornsProud

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Pours an amber/copper color with some white head that dissipates quickly.

Smells of husk and acidic-ness with some sweetness.

Tastes like caramel grape juice.

Thinner mouthfeel, which is OK, but adds to the juice-not-beer quality.

This beer is dominated by the grape flavor and is, again, more like a grape drink that beer. There are hints of malt and some bitterness, but it does not meld well with the other grape flavors.

04-27-2011 19:44:26 | More by TenHornsProud
thepeter

United Kingdom (England)

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I thought this beer was just as advertised, and I liked it! Pours a dark amber brown with a medium head that lasted a while before turning to foam. Smelled of sweet bread, and concentrated grape juice, this I liked. Maybe some spice adn brown sugar as well. Taste began like a dubbel with bready sweetness and finished like the doppelbock with a bit of a sharp boozey end to it. All throughout the drink you could taste the grape though and that made it an interesting and Unique beer. The palate was so soft, smooth and enjoyable a wonderful feel to it. Overall this was a great drinking experience. I may get it again, I may not but I will always remember it!

04-16-2011 04:26:36 | More by thepeter