2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010 - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: glid02 on 05-27-2010)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 119 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
Mitchster

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

$5.49 for a 22oz bottle. Brewed with 2-row specialty malt, Munich malt, 2 kinds of dark crystal, and CaraVienna. Hopped with Warrior, US Goldings, Cascade, Amarillo, and Mt. Hood. Fermented with Lager yeast, Trappist yeast, and Abbey ale yeast. Brewed with 600 gallons of Concord Grape juice as well. 8.2% ABV.

Pours out to a lightly hazy dark amber, forming a small light yellow head with poor retention and minimal lacing. The aroma is unique with definite grape up front, followed by the typical bananas and cloves of abbey and trappist yeasts. Dark fruits are there as well, as they should be with a dopplebock. Mouthfeel is moderately acidic with a medium body which is lightened from the addition of the grape juice. The finish is lightly dry. Taste opens with grape, then is quickly followed by dates and golden raisins, a moderate but very herbal bitterness, then a tobacco and grape aftertaste. Tart, but not sour.

Not really digging this beer. The year of the fig was so much better. Wouldn't buy this again.

12-07-2010 05:01:52 | More by Mitchster
Erish

I poured this bomber into a wine glass.

A: cloudy, cider-like color, creamy head quickly falls into a splotchy cap with decent lacing.

S: very bock-like, malty, raisin, the grapes linger in the background.

T: the vinous character explodes in the front, the middle is all bock, with sweet bread, raisin, cherry, and fruit yeast funk, the finish is very Belgian, off-dry, yeasty, with a nice lingering floral hop note.

M: medium weight, silky, good carbonation.

D: I will pick up more of this. Good stuff.

11-25-2010 18:41:11 | More by Erish
ferrari29

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into mug glass

A - Good lacing; hazy and cloudy dark amber body; 1/2 finger golden foam formed, but dissipated very quickly

S - Great grape fruit smell; slight malt & hop backdrop; grape and some other fruits is all I smell

T - Slight malt and hop tastes; flavor completely dominated by grapes; dry aftertaste

M - Creamy consistency; flavors not well-balanced unless an all grape flavor is what the brewer was shooting for

D - Grape syrup/jelly with a kick of beer is what I call this; not something I could drink a lot of; kinda felt like a cider beer which isn't my thing; if it was, I guess I would call this a smooth beer

11-23-2010 00:23:28 | More by ferrari29
cooch69

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer a couple times. On draft and bottle.
This sample was from the bomber. It pours a light brown with some very deep orange amber overtones. There is a small head that settles into nice lacing.

This brew smells like grapes and a little apple. Almost like those grapple's they sell in cartons. There is a spicy yeasiness(cloves and cinnamon). And a warming alcohol.

Upon drinking the malt shows itself a little more than in the nose. It is semi-sweet, caramelly and a little figgy. The grape comes through in the end along with apples and pears.

This brew has a great amount of carbonation. Enough to make it very light and drinkable. But the beer is still medium-full bodied.

11-20-2010 03:11:52 | More by cooch69
david18

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

I had a twelve ounce glass of this at the Amsterdam Ale House on the Upper West Side. I hadn't realized that this beer changes every year and this explained why I wasn't familiar with this beer when I tried it.

The previous year is called the year of the date and that reminded me, actually, of this beer. It was definitely more grapey than datey. Color was very dark brown to a ruby reddish. Head was light in color, not too high, not too low. Aroma was that of dark fruit (i.e. dates) and the flavor was similar to the aroma. Overall this is a pretty good beer. Maybe a little too complex to seem like a doppelbock but pretty good anyway.

11-13-2010 00:13:03 | More by david18
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a very thick (I almost think the thickness of the beer is Shmaltz's trademark) deep brown, with flashes of wine-red coming through. Head is initially frothy and full, but dissipates to a very fine film. Lacing is sudsy, and not all that persistent. Body is as described: thick. Bubbles stay static for quite a while when tilted, before tiredly dragging themselves to the surface. Very decent look overall.

Nose is extremely sweet and deep. Sweet dates are dominant, with dollops of caramel and vanilla, with a slight hint of spice. Not as potent and robust as it could be, but all the characters are extremely rich. Yep... It's what I expected from the brew. Certainly something between a dubbel and a doppelbock.

Taste is similar, although lighter on the raw sweetness on the front. Front is dominated by a slight sultana bite, some acidity and a light phenolic note. Finish gets more of the rich dark fruit characters present on the nose. Certainly some date in the finish, and a slightly robust boozy bite. Nice.

Feel is chewy and rich; it matches nicely with all the sweet, dark characters on the palate.

Yeah, another nice beer from He'Brew. Plenty of sweetness and pleasant heaviness. And let's face it, that's what was advertised.

11-03-2010 01:16:30 | More by lacqueredmouse
Elimination

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Wanted to have something a little different so I got this baby

Look is a hazy dirty looking purple brown close to a homeade grape juice

Smell is grapes up front slight red wine a good amount of malt very sweet has a good amount of a classic bock taste with a word of Belgian funk

Taste is slight welchs grape juice malt sweetness tangy but finishes dry. Raisens figs and a bit of Carmel thrown in

Mouthfeel is very light despite abv and style dry finish but starts sweet and moist

Drink is good a pairing beer for sure, wish I could have a nice steak with this

10-26-2010 02:21:00 | More by Elimination
oberon

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

This was an interesting beer I have to say.Poured into a .5 liter stein a deep mahogany brwon with some deep amber colored hue,a toasted almond colored fluffy head atop.Deep red grape aromas really jump out at ya during the pour wich is something I have never encountered before,sweetish alcohol and caramel as well.Cakey sweet flavors with the fruitiness being a little subdued wich I was relieved a little to see,sweet alcohol really comes in as well.Its big and sweet but its a pretty good "out of the box" beer,the grape adds something to this beer.

10-25-2010 20:30:11 | More by oberon
johnnieoz

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

22oz brown bomber, paired with challah and tahini.

A: A beautiful, clear purple without any haze whatsoever. The off white head is minimal, receding quickly into a thin film that sits atop this amethyst brew.

S: Mostly grape at first, but the classic dubbel dark fruits kick in eventually.

T: This is where the beer begins to excel. Initial sweetness on the tongue never becomes cloying and the doppelbock meets dubbel begins to work its magic. The dubbel keeps it on the sweet side, while the doppelbock makes it just a little toasty.

M: Very smooth, medium bodied and dry in the aftertaste.

D: I'm glad Schmaltz kept the alcohol at a relatively reasonable 8.2 % abv, befitting the unique marriage of styles. It is a pleasure to sip.

As with the Jewbelations, Schmaltz continues to make freak show dark beers that delight this palate. Not for everyone I'm sure, but that's the beauty of beer.

10-24-2010 01:58:45 | More by johnnieoz
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Burgundy, amber with a thin white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Complex and layered. Maybe reading the label beforehand is influencing the aroma but I can pick out dopplebock, grapes and belgian dubbel with each different sniff. Intense grape, little bit wine grape but more grape juice. Belgian candi sugar, sweet caramel malt and slight yeasty phenols.

T - Grape juice with dark fruits, candi sugar, yeasty phenols and sweet munich malt.

M - Medium body, medium to low carbonation with a lingering sweetness. Alcohol creates a slight sting.

D - Very unique beer. Not sure I could drink it on a regular basis but tasty and very interesting.

10-23-2010 02:04:03 | More by brewcrew76
beeragent

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Pours a deep copper, forming a 1 inch off-white head. Light lacing on the glass.

S - Dark fruit aroma along with a noticeable Belgian candy sugar presence. Very sweet malt body in the nose.

T - The taste up front is very "Dubble" in flavor as the dark plum and candi sugar are very evident. Not much in the taste of grapes is present. A strong malt body is noticeable behind the other flavors. There's alot more going on here than described. Very complex.

M - Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Very smooth and clean.

D - For a mixed style beer, this was suprisingly good. I havent had any other brews from Schmatlz Brewing, but this is very interesting. Good full complex flavor and nice body, but not sure I would have this again though.

10-13-2010 23:21:29 | More by beeragent
longbongsilver

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Wanted to try something different & saw this. I liked a couple others Shmaltz did & found the grape concept amusing, figured why not?

Can smell the grape a bit even before pouring. In the mug a slightly blurry orange-red, over an inch of dense head. The grape continues, plus a bit of something like honey (that was a shock).

Taste is a little boozier than would expect, and no real bitterness I can tell. Goes down more thin like the dubbel style than the doppelbock mentioned on the bottle. The grape actually suggests -- you guessed it -- wine.

It's definitely distinctive, I'll give them that much. It'd get annoying as a regular compared to their others IMO, but for what it is it works.

10-09-2010 03:58:31 | More by longbongsilver
srandycarter

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Murky dark apricot, not much head, not much lace. Barely a ring.

S - Sweet malty. Lots of sweet cooked fruit.

T - Malt meets sweet wine.

M - Medium body, poor carbonation, balance is off kilter to the sweet.

D - Not my favorite offering from this brewery. It would do in a pinch.

10-06-2010 01:25:17 | More by srandycarter
route66pubs

2.83/5  rDev -22.5%

pours a dark amber / light brown with a thin, almost white head. Head is very thin, but retains well along the glass. No bubbles appear to have survived the pour at all.

Very slight roasted malt aroma, with just a hint of Welch's grape juice as well. Very, very little aroma at all.

Has a bit of a caramel maltiness initially, which gives way to a slightly fructose-like bitterness. Very bizarre indeed, but not unexpected from the folks at Shmaltz. However, that slight bit of burning bitterness is not all that welcome in this brew, and more sweet malts would be appreciated.

I hate to say it, but the bitterness combined with something akin to Pop Rocks really just does not work here. It could be so much more if it were much smoother and sweeter, but it is just simply not working on this.

For a unique, one-off beer, this can be fun. For an everyday drink, well, I'd rather have water. This is just not something that I am willing to drink at all regularly.

10-03-2010 00:31:09 | More by route66pubs
dwilson01

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

poured from a bomber into my arrogant bastard pint glass. A thin off white head tops it which dissipates quickly to a thin splotchy film maintained by moderate carbonation. The body is an amber-orange combination with a darker brown infusion. It reminds me of caramel with some fruit thrown in for good measure.

The scent is complex and layered, I definitely get hints of fruit in the forefront, a champagne and wine combination but quite subtle. This is coupled with the sweet smells I get from german weizenbocks, a dark brown sugar and caramel. It makes for a great combination, one that I cannot wait to try.

The "belgian style dubbel" definitely hits home in the flavor. It's got a nice light spiciness to it with a thicker malty backing. That malt is very sweet reminding me of a liquiefied brown sugar combined with a hint of cinnamon. The fruits that come out is very blended in that I cannot discern them from each other. I do get grapes for sure, some plum and fig as well but other than that it is the general sweet fruitiness I pick up.

The mouthfeel is a very background aspect to this brew in my opinion, I found the nose and flavors to be much more forefront. But to be fair when I sipped and thought only on the feel it is pretty solid. A light spicy carbonation in the fore followed by a rich malty thickness in the aft.

Definitely a sipping brew due the immense amount of flavors, it's one that keeps you guessing throughout the whole thing and by the end you'll have 10 or 15 different fruits written down that you tasted. I like the versatility, glad I went with it today and will be trying the other yearly brews from these guys to see what else they came up with.

10-02-2010 03:56:25 | More by dwilson01
zeff80

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Poured out a clear, burgundy color with a one-finger, tan, head of bubbly foam. It was short-lived and left minimal lacing.

S - It smelled of grape, sweet malt and some boozy notes. It had some dried fruit aroma that are typical of a dubbel.

T - It had a strong grape flavor with some dried fruit flavor - like plum and raisin. Also, some malty sweetness with a boozy alcohol punch.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium-bodied beer with a sticky mouthfeel and an alcohol warmth.

D - This is an okay brew. I like the dubbel qualities but at times it was just too sweet and too much grape.

09-29-2010 21:32:58 | More by zeff80
Khazadum

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

First of my blind bomber reviews. Thank you so much neorunner!

Appearance
Here comes the opening pitch, I suppose. I'm at a loss for words. A pilsner or mug glass for this? This was definitely off-speed, slow and steady. Microfine collection of bubbles seal in the liquid beneath at least a finger of depth. They range in color from cream to rose in gentle flow.

Given time to rest, the necklace and thong panty bring some delight when gazing into. It reminds me of that change of inning where you peruse the spring-time sky. Fun, but only in moderation.

When it comes to the main body, it is too easy to describe. Burgundy murk that is penetrated by light to reveal... nothing. Where the hell are my cascades of bubble? Or even a single bubble? Ahhh, it is just visible if I grab out a magnifying glass and peer from the top down. Weaksauce.

Bouquet
The secret of this beer is starting to come out. It slowly begins to focus... A simple cursory inhale brings me apple cider. I know this characteristic aroma like the captain of the White Sox. An explosion of smells come out of nowhere when this beer throws a high fast one by my head. I detect things like barley, strawberries, grape similar to concentrated juice, and faintly of potpourri laden vesicles long emptied.

Its good, but how often has a beer nailed this particular smell-set for me. You see a cocky pitcher throw his heater once, and you've basically seen them all do it.

Flavor Profile
In anticipation for that third pitch, I can't help but feel like this beer has no more secrets. Before I know it, its over the plate and in the pitcher's mitt. My jaw drops... I can't track it. This took my expectation of a barley wine and watered it down with come Concord grape juice before it served it up.

A second sip brings a change-up right through my box. I can't get a solid grasp on this son of a stitch. This time I think high alcohol content barley wine with grape tones. What kind of beer is this?

The opening is always a solid offering of apples and barley. These flavors break off into two categories. We have a low sliding option that slicks grape down my tongue and finishes with a mildly alcoholic reminder of what was once there. The second possibility is a variant on the first. A strong-fisted knuckle of ethanol stabs forth with tinges of pine and grape juice. This one finishes up unexpectedly, hopped up wine.

Oral Sensations
Just as quickly as it showed off its fancy moves, it throws me a change-up right back to the beginning. Solid presence that carresses as it flows. Bites as it slides. Stings as it rolls. It brought its moderately bubbly nature to attention while at the same time striking a full pose.

The hops linger at the cracks of my mouth, tips of my lips, and top of my palate. It has a pleasant aftertaste that pops with the last flavors.

Conclusions
I feel like I've come down to the wire with this beer. I'm sitting at the plate staring it down knowing I'm 3-2 with no chance at fouling it off to stay alive. All I can do is close my eyes and take a swing at this bad boy. I want to call it a Barleywine but things are so wrong for it to be that. Is this some grape infused ale? We'll see!

It is tasty, but there are some glaring issues. The alcohol starts becoming more apparent on the mouth feel and tastes as you drink more and more of it. It actually distracts at times. I'd drink this again for the gimmick of it with a buddy, but in general I dislike grapes.

Haha! Oh man... it makes so much sense. Hebrew Rejewvenator. Year of the Grape, hahahahaha.

09-23-2010 01:11:08 | More by Khazadum
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Pours a beautiful dark clear copper-mahogany with a substantial, if not long-lasting, pale tan head. Aroma is rich and malty with hints of hops and an undertone of red wine. Mouth-filling malty flavor has yeasty and grape hints as well as a bit of hoppy bitterness and a subtle barleywine-like nip. Texture is smooth with a nice little fizz that leaves behind a subtle tingle.

09-19-2010 20:30:18 | More by Cyberkedi
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

My grape harvest from Cali is in, crushed and de-stemmed, so it is time to crack this bomber - more than appropriate for the occasion.

This beer pours a clear dark reddish brown hue, with one finger of soapy off-white head, which settles to a thin cap, leaving nothing in the way of lace. It smells of soft yeast, sweet concord grape juice, and molasses. The taste is dark tangy fruit, more of that musty grape juice, a bit of demarara sugar, and some mildly spicy yeast. The big ABV is pretty well hidden, just a slight warming. The carbonation is on the low side, the body full, smooth, and fleshy. It finishes dry, in an almost tannic way, and fruity.

Hmmm. This tastes like what I would imagine the Belgians would come up with: yeasty, (red grape) fruity, sugary, and malty. Still, kind of weird, with the childhood grape juice flavours married to a strong Belgian ale. But that's the intent, so, nicely done, but not something to consider as anything more than a celebratory tipple.

09-18-2010 02:38:34 | More by biboergosum
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured a 1 finger head. Really good retention. Decent lacing. Color is dark ruby brown.

S. Smell is dark fruit, molasses, caramel malt, had a grape smell to it. Smells like a fruity dubbel. Really a pretty interesting smell. Maybe a bit of sourness in the background.

T. Taste is good. Dark fruit, caramel malt, a bit of the grapes accentuate and enhance the flavor. I really like the taste of this. I think that there are a lot flavors going on, and they all work pretty well. I don't really taste a lot of doppelbock going on.

M. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Little bit of a sweet aftertaste.

D. Very drinkable. I think that the Grape is definitely what sets this beer off. A good dubbel with a bit of doppelbock malt flavors would be good by itself, but the grape adds a little special touch.

09-14-2010 23:29:49 | More by siradmiralnelson
goblue3509

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a brownish amber color with a one finger khaki colored head which gives way to some lacing down the glass. The aroma is of caramel malt and a slight bread malt along with dark fruits and a hint of grape. The taste is a standard doppelbock, a nice dark fruit taste over top of a caramel malt backbone at the mid to back end however, the flavor is cut with a white grape taste which is refreshing and really balances out and odd yet enjoyable flavor. The mouthfeel is low carbonation. Overall it is a solid beer, after a couple the novelty might wear off, but the grape flavor cutting through the dark fruits was very enjoyable, a great beer to try for a new take.

09-12-2010 13:46:55 | More by goblue3509
SpdKilz

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance - Pours a cloudy light chocolate brown color with about a finger of tan head that dissipates relatively fast leaving decent lacing on the sides of my SA perfect pint glass.

Smell - Right off the bat, it smells more like a dubbel than a doppelbock. There are sweet malts, caramel, slight grape, breadiness, and yeast.

Taste - Similar to the nose, however, there is just an odd grape flavor that saturates the overall flavor profile. It reminds me of Welches grape juice as a kid (the grape flavor). Sweet malts and caramel, cloves, brown sugar. However, overall, nothing that really stands out besides the odd grape flavor which does not mix well with the other flavors.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - One and I'm done, and also I will not buy again. Saw it at the store, thought it sounded interesting so I picked it up. Not what I was really expecting and nothing that stood out to me once drinking it. Meh.

09-08-2010 03:37:57 | More by SpdKilz
womencantsail

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

A: The pour is a dark amber color, maybe burnt orange, with a fluffy off-white head that settles down to a thin layer.

S: Sweet fruits on the nose, which does have some grape character, but not overly vinous. A definite malt and caramel note as well.

T: Semi-sweet and malty on the tongue without too much in terms of grape flavor. There is a bit of a fruit sweetness, but I can't tell if that's from the base beers (apparently a blend of doppelbock and dubbel). Overall, the flavor is on the bland side.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation. There's a bit of a flat feel overall to the beer, though.

D: Really underwhelming. I've enjoyed several of the He'Brew beers, but I can't say this is one of them. Just not much going on in terms of flavors.

09-06-2010 22:11:04 | More by womencantsail
aubuc1

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle poured in to a goblet.

Pours a clearish brown/red with a foamy thinning light tan head.

Smell is bready malty, grapy, and a tinge of esthery yeast.

Taste is very dark bread with a grape juice quality. Finishes dry and yeasty.

Mouthfeel is a little thin. This is pretty drinkable, but not great.

an above average beer that is different than the norm.

08-28-2010 22:44:58 | More by aubuc1
Beaver13

Colorado

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours a hazy light brown that looks slightly purplish and has a smallish off-white head that quickly diminishes to a dusting.

The aroma is sweet figgy caramel malts, candy sugar, sweet grape juice and wood.

The flavor is sweet grapes with some vinous alcohol and some off bitter notes (card-boardy). The fruitiness fades as it warms and figgy caramel malts become more pronounced. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and is a bit watery.

Overall, an interesting idea. It's a bit watery and I didn't care for the flavors much - it just wasn't too interesting.

08-25-2010 06:05:20 | More by Beaver13