He'Brew Genesis 15:15 - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Genesis 15:15He'Brew Genesis 15:15

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Barleywine |  13.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Viciousknishs on 09-29-2011)
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Amazingly rich, and wonderfully Sazerac barrel aged, this Genesis is remarkably complex with esters of grape, mandarin orange, fig, date, toffee, coconut, persimmon, kumquat, plum, cherry, chocolate, cappuccino, rum, and, of course, lots of rye. The body is silky/syrupy, but not as heavy as i had anticipated, and the massive flavor profile is incredibly balanced with no excess heat , despite its 13.4% abv. This is a very sweet and luxurious ale, for sure, but the Sazerac aging has dried it out sufficiently in the finish for it to be a wonderful sipper that continuously calls me back to indulge in another "hard" taste. To date, I’m not sure I could come up with a better fireside liquid companion to take away the chill of what’s shaping up to be another colder winter than usual. I’m glad I stocked up on a number of these beauties!

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from Sept. 2011 22oz bottle into snifter.

Appearance: a dark reddish brown with a dark white head that fades and leaves no lacing.

Smells: a super sweet dark fruit that is dominated with a sour fruit juice backbone.

Tastes: a strange unique ale that coincides with the nose. It is a sweet barley wine with a major juice flavor that isn't to balanced in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: there is a strong sting from the 13.4% but the strong fruit tastes balance it in the aftertaste and there is very little carbonation.

Overall: this is a strong fruit flavored barleywine in my opinion. I don't think I personally would buy it again due to the fact that I don't get much of a barrel flavor through the sweet fruit backbone.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a bottle of this after getting several recommendations at the spot where I bought it.

Appearance: Very dark brown, almost completely opaque, but a reddish haze can be noticed. Have about an inch and a half of toffee head. Seems very tasteful

Smell: Vanilla bean, but with a mix of dark fruits such as grapes, figs and actually maybe a slight touch of chocolate (cocoa). Also has a nice chestnut-like taste.

Taste: First rush is instant rush of a fine liqueur. Has a nice tone of vanilla in the beginning along with a thickness that also appears to be caramel flavorings . This brew has nothing less than great, fresh flavorings. Only reason I don't give it a higher rating is mainly because of the whiskey-like feeling I get in my chest once I engage.

Mouthfeel: Great creaminess that is brought in well with what I consider moderate carbonation. Nothing this beer has to hide.

Overall: Wow this beer rocked my world. I bought this thinking it really wasn't going to knock me off my feet. Boy was I wrong, I instantly noticed this beers power and awesome flavorings. I will totally grab this beer again, and knowing that its Hebrew, I'm assuming its Kosher which is something positive to think about. I will warn any newcomer that this brew is nothing to be taken lightly. I know most of my friends think Victory's Golden Monkey is something serious, but I think the bar just got raised HAHA. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz snifter into my Victory snifter. Batch 001/791 bottled on 9/7/2011. (Big props to Shmaltz for an easy to read bottling date)

Pours a practically opaque deep brown with ruby highlights around the edge of the glass. Pours with a spotty, light tan head that quickly dissipates and leaves a single layer of bubbles on top of the brew. Nice.

The nose has lots of bready and dark fruit notes to it. I don't immediately get much of the bourbon but there is a whole lot going on here. It definitely smells very young too leading me to believe that this may do well with age on it.

The alcohol is NOT hidden at all here. The taste is bity, spicy, and sharp. Tons of deep, dark fruit on the taste and then a quick alcohol bite at the end. I really think this could do with a good year in the cellar at least.

The mouth feel has a lot more carbonation that is lead on by the pour. Relatively prickly but not overly so.

I think that this brew is going to mellow out a lot over time in the cellar and I think it desperately needs it. I'm looking forward to opening this up in time but right now it's HARSH.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Batch 001
Bottled 9/7/2011

Into a Founders snifter, pours a dark burgundy/maroon color with 1 finger of mocha/beige head. Looks pretty viscous.

The barrel aging is evident in the aroma- you can really smell the oak and whiskey. It is not a boozy smell though which is good. I can also smell dark fruits, cherries, and raisins. Many layers of flavors. Very nice.

The taste starts off with oak, vanilla, raisins and cherries. In the mid-palate I get some chocolate and a little coffee. The finish is mainly whiskey and rum soaked raisins- not boozy though. I notice more caramel flavor as the beer warms up. I can taste a little bitterness from the hops but the flavor is mostly dominated by the malts. Very nice.

A nice viscous, coating beer. Slightly syrupy. Low carbonation.

This is a very nice beer. I like how the barrel aging was not overdone like most other beers. There is a nice balance between the different fruit juices and the oak aging- not overly sweet or overly boozy. Ready to drink now- does not need to be aged

He'Brew Genesis 15:15 from Shmaltz Brewing Company