He'Brew Funky Jewbelation '12 - Shmaltz Brewing Company

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.80% ABV

Beer added by: Pahn on 03-30-2012

A blend of 6 ales aged in 73% rye whiskey and 27% bourbon barrels. The blend consists of He'Brew Jewbelation 15, Vintage Jewbelation, Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA, He'Brew Origin, Reunion Ale '11, & He'Brew Messiah.
1.88/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

12 oz.

Pours jet black, tan film for a head.

Smells of whiskey, molasses, cinnamon, figs, caramel, coca cola and nutmeg.

Tastes like grapes, bourbon, oak, soy sauce, cranberries, cinnamon, molasses, chocolate, lemon juice and orange peel.

Medium body with a light tingle of carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

I really want to like this beer and have had and liked several of the component beers that went into this ale blend, but this is awful. Cloyingly sweet and nauseating. The only beer I've ever had that I've had trouble getting down without gagging. I see from the other reviews that I am in the minority here. Maybe I just got a bad one? The bottling date says March 6, 2012, so maybe it just aged poorly. Batch 001 of Case 999. Whatever the cause, this is pretty terrible. (794 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Batch No. 2/Case 1492; bottling date: 02/18/2013

The beer poured a dark brown body with a thick bubbled, smallish head; head quickly disappeared and looks flat. Spicy, estery, and phenolic nose; plums, raspberries, and dates; boozy. Strong sour and tart flavors; grapefruit. Medium bodied and coarse mouthfeel.

God knows what the brewery intended with this, but this one is headed for the drain. There's overkill with the barrel aging (and nothing remotely resembling bourbon or rye, more like a sherry or red wine) and the various beer styles just don't merge well. There's no overtly discernible malt or hop character. The overall taste is like wine turning to vinegar. Lousy and forgettable although it may pass for a fair wild or Flanders sour ale. (754 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -46.9%

Pours a full finger of khaki colored head into my CBS snifter.

Looks like real dank dishwater. Thin. Dark brown. Slight lacing.

Smells of sweet rye, caramel, tart green apple skin, and slight toffee. Sharp alcohol tinge as it warms. A la turpentine.

Sweeeet. Overly so. SO incredibly unrefined. A conglomeration of nothing. I consistently go back to the nose to pick up something for the taste. I'm met with the Gestapo. So i will say the flavor profile is sweet bunk with a touch of rye. If that isn't enticing, I don't know what is.

Pretty highly carbonated. Slight warming alcohol tinge in the throat that envelops the belly.

What a frickin pass this is. No wonder it is limited. A small quantity means less will have to endure this hardship.

Awful beer. (765 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -44.8%

Mild brown foamy head builds and quickly fades. No lacing. Brew is deep purple.

Sour scent dominates. Lots of brown sugar and maple syrup. The nose does not hold up to the listing of blends on the bottle. Where's the barrel aged, rye, or bourbon???

Whoa! Sugar bomb! Heavy brown sugar, raisin, and dry malts. Sour funk. Wet and nicely carbonated.

Funky is right, but not in a good way... I'm not getting any flavors the bottle is claiming. To me, this brew is a total mess. It's missing all vanilla and barrel flavoring. Kinda makes me sick to my stomach... Not recommended. (579 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -44.8%

22oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours a completely opaque dark brown with a tiny head that quickly dissipates

Aroma of dark fruits and a little bit of pine. I don't really pick up too much of the bourbon/whiskey aging.

The flavor is immensely sweet right off the bat. Some roasted malt, cough syrup, dark fruit and some tartness. A tiny bit of bourbon but not much. Alcohol is detectable through the nose. Mouthfeel is very heavy and sticky.

Overall, a really bad beer in my opinion. Like drinking overly sweet cough syrup. I really could only drink a couple ounces of this. Above and beyond cloying. There is just way too much going on in this beer and it is beyond sweet. I was really expecting a lot more. (709 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -38.6%

22oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. It poured dark brown, almost black in color. A thin, sticky head was scattered across the top of the beer.

In the aroma the first thing I notice is the sour cherry flavors. From what I read I didn't think "Funky" was supposed to mean it was an American Wild, but that's definitely what I'm getting out of it. Behind the sour cherries I get a sweeter, sugary malitness. Not nearly enough of the barrel character comes through for me but it's definitely sweet and funky.

The taste follows with more of a tart cherry flavor showing up throughout. Again, it's also very sweet and sugary but the barrel flavors do show up just a little in the finish. It's definitely overly sweet and sugary and the sour, tart cherry flavor just dominated.

The mouthfeel feels syrupy while carbonation is a little above average. Overall, it wasn't a good beer and was a waste of $12. I'd put money that it's infected and it will start to live up to the "Funky" name as time goes on. I didn't get much of the blended base beers or barrel aging to it, just a tart, funky, sub-par American wild profile. (1,120 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -36.7%

This beer was a bunch of mixed up flavors that didn't go well together. Taste like there was a hint of vinegar in it, didn't even finish the bomber it was that bad. (164 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -35.7%

First try of Shmaltz brewing, a brewery that I’ve been watching for a while. For some reason, this one had a picture of George W. Bush’s face taped over the afro face on the label – looks like someone in the liquor store had a little fun.

Batch #1, brewed nearly three months before the date of this tasting (bottle date 3/6/2012 on the label).

A: Black body with a dark brown, soda-like transparency at the bottom of the glass. The head, a big, slow-moving, dark tan cream; full, smooth retention and a collection of stringy lacing all over. Looks like a stout.

S: Sour and fruity, acidic and complex: the biggest aromas are fig, cherry sauce, pecan, and a bright, bretty funk. It’s smoothly tannic, but with big hits of oak, grape, burnt sugar, rye whiskey, coconut, and vanilla nougat.

T: Dark, creamy sours dominate this palate; I’m not even sure how to explain it. It’s so cloyingly sweet, sticking the palate into a syrupy, unpleasant place. It’s all too much – thick licorice, root beer, and molasses that do nothing but lay on the tongue with too much oiliness. Sure, it has a bit of funkiness (via sour cherry and grape), and the malts do provide a gingerbread, rye, and cinnamon taste, but the whole palate is sadly cloying. Finishes like cough syrup, with a booziness that tastes more like vodka and coke than bourbon. Strange, strange brew, Shmaltz.

M: This one is very mildly carbonated – it goes down slick, way too mouth-coating for such a painfully sweet palate. I can’t finish my first glass.

O: Funky Jewbelation just hit all the wrong spots for me. I don’t know what it is, but I did not really enjoy the taste of it; I heard that the standard Jewbelation 15 was good, though. (1,723 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Had this over my birthday,

Appearance, A good very dark brown with 1/2" head

Smell, had some great whiskey, rye, and a little hop notes that I could detect.

Taste, Upfront more carbonated than their usual beer. It gets weird here, the pomegranate was SO overpowering that it made this beer undrinkable in my opinion just way to sour. It was just too much for me. There were flavors of Jewbelation 15 that I could barely detect so I went back for a few more sips till I couldn't take it anymore.

Overall, a good one time experience and it is definitely a Funky beer. So for any who love a strange tasting sour, try this one out (633 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 10 oz Kentucky Bourbon Ale snifter, bottled 3/6/12. Pours very dark brown with a 2 inch tan head, that settles quickly, minimal lacing. Smell is chocolate, coffee, bourbon, dark fruit, and root beer. Taste is much stronger dark fruit, bourbon, and root beer. Body thin for its ABV, plenty of carbonation, not really dry, and drinkable enough. Nope not for me, very disappointed. Way to sweet and taste like soda. (426 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

bottling date, 3/6/2012....dark clear appearance, no head and weird fruity smell, tasted like extremely sweet, funky cough syrup? I like shmaltz, maybe this was a bad bottle? (174 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I love Shmaltz, they're possibly my favorite brewery. But this one is a miss. The Hebrew 16 is an incredible beer, and might just be the best beer ever brewed after it ages a few years. But this one is just a mess. Too sweet, and unfocused to the point that it just doesn't satisfy. I wish I loved this beer, but I think there's only so much craziness you can have in a beer before it just gets out of control. Certainly an interesting concept, but if you look at the beers that go into this, they don't really work together. But who knows, maybe if I sat on one of these for about 5 years the flavors would coalesce into something incredible. It's impossible to say. I've collected the Hebrew 14 through 16, and I have no doubt that they will age like champs. This one might, but I'm not willing to risk $10 to find out. (821 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a deep deep deep brown, pretty much black, with only slight lighter hues around the edges. There is very little foam, and what does exist is a frothy mix of bubbles (large and small) along the edges of the glass. No lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is vinegar and cherries. There are subtle note hidden in there (chocolate and fig), but the main scents are the two main ones mentioned above.

T: Hmm. It's a mix of sweet and sour right from the get-go. Big sweet malt and soy right off the bat, the vinegar and cherries shine through next, and then back to sweet syrupy fig. The barrel treatments on this are a detriment. It's too funky, and too weird. Not a fan.

M: Full bodied beer. It's syrupy to start and lingers forever. I wish it didn't.

O: Not a fan of this beer at all. The sour funk and sweet barrel aging make this beer a wacky mis-match that I just can't accept. Usually I can choke down a bomber of something that I don't particularly like, but this is rough. I've never been let down by Shmaltz before... so this is a first.

No thanks! (1,062 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not sure where to start on this one. A lot of things going on, and not all of them go together.

Dark pour, no head.

Smell of chocolate and cherry and other tart fruit.

Taste starts out sweet, followed closely by the tart fruit, then the bitterness. not a good hop bitter, but something not quite right. Too many things going on.

Not a fan of this one. (357 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

"Schmaltz barrel aged release #8." 9.4% ABV. "Batch/Cases No. 02/1492." "Bottling date 2/18/2013." 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with flashily unappealing label and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local bottle shop for $12.99 USD and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the brewery.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of nice khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Has a nice smooth full consistency. Nice soft complexion. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is quite good for the ABV - about 6-8 minutes.

Body colour is an opaque solid black. Appears adequately carbonated. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Rye whiskey dominates the aroma. There's plenty of booze-laden wood as well as rye's trademark spiciness. I pick up vanilla/vanillicin, dark malts, amber malts, pale malts, milky creamy notes, and a kiss of lactose. It's a somewhat messy aroma, but an appealing one. Moderate in strength.

No yeast character is detectable.

T: Spicy rye whiskey, smacky lactic brettanomyces notes, dark malts, pale malts, amber malts, floral hops, and heavy wood tones. It's complex, sure, but boy is it a mess. There's no careful balance or subtlety here at all. The funkiness is nice, but it's a bit too aggressive and doesn't suit the rest of the flavour profile. It's not real nuanced or intricate - just a bunch of random crap shoved together. I can't say I'm a big fan. Has a definite acidity along with some unbecoming balsamic vinegar notes. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. I'm not sure what they were going for with this, apart from the profits implicit in blending already brewed beers and slapping a new label on the bottle.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Too acidic. Okay body and thickness. Okay creaminess. Fairly filling. Presence on the palate is mediocre. The texture doesn't suit the taste all that well. Middling execution.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, or astringent. There is some tolerable alcohol warmth.

Dr: I'm not really having this one. Feels like a blatant bid for more profit by blending beers haphazardly. I don't see any intent or care behind this blend. It just seems like a "throw it in barrels, market it with a flashy label, and call it good" approach to brewing. Just the kind of schlock that turns me off to Schmaltz. I wouldn't recommend this to friends or trade partners. A chaotic mess of a beer.

Low C (2,787 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearance. Pours deep brown, pretty much black with 1.5 fingers of tan head.

Smell. Sour cherries, bourbon and sweet chocolate with some tart dark berries and old wood. Interesting.

Taste. Dark berries and fruit, very light sourness, bourbon and caramel, with a little chocolate and barrel and a bit of woody funk. Really sugary sweet.

Mouthfeel. On the lower side of full bodied with medium, smooth carbonation. A little sticky.

Overall. I like the intention of making something interesing, but this just isn't doing it for me. Way too sweet for this guy and a strange blend of flavours that didn't really go together well with that sweetness. (650 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer was a deep mahogany brownish color. Poured on tap and very little residual lace, almost non-existent. The aroma included hints of leather, and raisin, but the predominate smell of wet paper and whiskey.
It's taste was acidic and sour to start but finished very clean. Hard to describe how it the alcohol hits your palate, They taste is there, then faded. For the amount of alcohol in this beer, I could not taste it. Well blended
Drinkable from a well balanced abv point of view, but underwhelming on the taste factor. This beer was incredibly thin and underwhelming. After a few sips this beer clearly warmed my belly up.
If you are into freaky, sour, aged beers, then this might be something you will like. I'll probably never reach for it again. For the number of different beers used to make this blended selection, one would think that it might be a bit more complex. Not so much. I think they missed the mark on this one. (937 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Pours a very dark brown. Kind of cloudy/hazy. Smell reminds me a lot of a Flemish red/brown ale: vanilla, oak, tart fruitiness, and dark malts. Smells awesome. Taste is kind of messy, but kind of interesting, all the same. Odd mix of roasted malt, fruity tartness/sweetness, barrel, and hops. Kind of medicinal aftertaste. Mouthfeel is fairly full with smooth carbonation. Overall this is not that great. I might have liked the flavor more (or truly would have been less disappointed) if the smell hadn't blown me away first. (525 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.6%

A: pours a nice hazy brown with orange highlights and a decent half inch head with some retention, but not much.

S: earthy, sweet, some dark fruit, and bourbon. Not a lot of bourbon flavor. A bit bland.

T: again a bit bland and unimaginative. It's fine, the sweetness isn't cloying, and it's plenty complex. It's like they found a blend that was good enough and bottled it.

M: medium-thick body with medium carbonation. Smooth overall.

O: decent beer, but I never thought it was better than average. It's fine, but for $10 a bottle it's terrible. Might be a while before I pick up a Shmaltz beer again. I always thought it was cheesy so I avoided it. (658 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured into a large brandy snifter. Pours black with a tall, dark brown head. The head dissipates slowly. There is a little bit of lacing left on the side of the glass. As the namesake implies, this beer has a tart smell on the first sniff. The tartness is a bit fruity in nature. A little bit of alcohol comes through in the aroma as well. The malt also comes through in the smell. The taste follows the nose. It has the tart fruit taste mingled with roasted malts. It's mildly sweet, but not too sweet. The alcohol does come through in the taste as well, taking on a slightly boozy character. The flavors are definitely interesting. The body is medium to full with adequate carbonation. The beer sips very smoothly. This is an above average beer overall, which is disappointing. (780 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Dark brown in the big chalice with a modest head. Reasonable carbonation but the slick mouthfeel and sugar load make it more syrupy. Interesting nose of nuts and caramel with that whiff of acidity.

There is definitely something a little funky about this stuff. There is a buttery but some kind of slight sour along with it. Tangy flavors, but the sweetness is unrelenting. Not as boozy as you might expect. More of a fruit and candy flavor. Fig preserves, but some bitterness as in thick cut orange marmalade. Makes me think of Malta with cheap whiskey added.

Not what you'd hope for in a barrel-aged beer, but more of a sweet liqueur beer. Truly weird. Bought the 22 oz bottle at Liticker's in San Diego. (707 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into pint glass at brewery during tasting event

A- Dark brown, thick, viscous looking, little tan head

S- a hint of whiskey, funk, sour, malts

T- It's an all out assault on the taste buds. There is a presence of whiskey, bourbon, and wham! slam dunk the funk! Sour!

M- Thick, chewy, tart

O- I'm glad I got to try this magical concoction and I appreciate the depth and the complexity of flavors. However, it just quite isn't my cup of tea... (453 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

I really wanted to like this beer.

I thought Vertical Jewbelation was fantastic and thought Genesis 15:15 was World Class. When I saw this was another Barrel product from HeBrew it was a no-brainer pulling the trigger for $12.99.

Funky I found to be a bit too sweet. The dark fruits were past vinous...into straight Welch's Grape juice territory, and I'm not a big fan of grapejuice. The stickiness from the barrel was apparent but slim to no barrel made itself known in the taste. Where's the Rye Whiskey and Bourbon the bottle promises?

Not sure what else to say other than I'm glad I only picked up one of these. (619 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I got this bottle in a kind of trade a few weeks ago. I am breaking my head if i got this bottle from Trevorjk but i will ask him the next time i see him...

Poured in my small duvel tasting glass the beer looks nice, pretty dark fluid and a decent head.

The rest gets disappointing from there on. The beer is too sour for me. I dont know if its the hops they used or the yeast or any other ingrdient. I also can not detect the bourbon and whiskey there should be in the bottle. It is there but not as noticable like the other is this style... (544 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours very dark brown, pretty much black. Head was a finger, medium brown in color. The aroma had some slightly sour, almost cherry like quality. Some barrel notes, but they're not hugely predominant. Some dark fruitiness, and some sweetness. The taste didn't really have that sourness, just a bit of a tingle on the tongue. Mostly a thick sweetness, dark fruits and some oakiness. Really hard to pick out any of the individual components that make this up, it's just kind of a clusterfuck, albeit not a bad one. The feel is decent, upper medium in body.

Interesting, and not bad, but one of my least favorite of the Jewbelations... (634 characters)

He'Brew Funky Jewbelation '12 from Shmaltz Brewing Company