He'Brew Funky Jewbelation - Shmaltz Brewing Company

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.80% ABV

A blend of 6 ales aged in 73% rye whiskey and 27% bourbon barrels. The blend consists of He'Brew Jewbelation 15, Vintage Jewbelation, Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA, He'Brew Origin, Reunion Ale '11, & He'Brew Messiah.

(Beer added by: Pahn on 03-30-2012)

1.5/5  rDev -59.2%

1.8/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

12 oz.

Pours jet black, tan film for a head.

Smells of whiskey, molasses, cinnamon, figs, caramel, coca cola and nutmeg.

Tastes like grapes, bourbon, oak, soy sauce, cranberries, cinnamon, molasses, chocolate, lemon juice and orange peel.

Medium body with a light tingle of carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

I really want to like this beer and have had and liked several of the component beers that went into this ale blend, but this is awful. Cloyingly sweet and nauseating. The only beer I've ever had that I've had trouble getting down without gagging. I see from the other reviews that I am in the minority here. Maybe I just got a bad one? The bottling date says March 6, 2012, so maybe it just aged poorly. Batch 001 of Case 999. Whatever the cause, this is pretty terrible.

1.8/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Batch No. 2/Case 1492; bottling date: 02/18/2013

The beer poured a dark brown body with a thick bubbled, smallish head; head quickly disappeared and looks flat. Spicy, estery, and phenolic nose; plums, raspberries, and dates; boozy. Strong sour and tart flavors; grapefruit. Medium bodied and coarse mouthfeel.

God knows what the brewery intended with this, but this one is headed for the drain. There's overkill with the barrel aging (and nothing remotely resembling bourbon or rye, more like a sherry or red wine) and the various beer styles just don't merge well. There's no overtly discernible malt or hop character. The overall taste is like wine turning to vinegar. Lousy and forgettable although it may pass for a fair wild or Flanders sour ale.

1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

Pours a full finger of khaki colored head into my CBS snifter.

Looks like real dank dishwater. Thin. Dark brown. Slight lacing.

Smells of sweet rye, caramel, tart green apple skin, and slight toffee. Sharp alcohol tinge as it warms. A la turpentine.

Sweeeet. Overly so. SO incredibly unrefined. A conglomeration of nothing. I consistently go back to the nose to pick up something for the taste. I'm met with the Gestapo. So i will say the flavor profile is sweet bunk with a touch of rye. If that isn't enticing, I don't know what is.

Pretty highly carbonated. Slight warming alcohol tinge in the throat that envelops the belly.

What a frickin pass this is. No wonder it is limited. A small quantity means less will have to endure this hardship.

Awful beer.

1.98/5  rDev -46.2%

22oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours a completely opaque dark brown with a tiny head that quickly dissipates

Aroma of dark fruits and a little bit of pine. I don't really pick up too much of the bourbon/whiskey aging.

The flavor is immensely sweet right off the bat. Some roasted malt, cough syrup, dark fruit and some tartness. A tiny bit of bourbon but not much. Alcohol is detectable through the nose. Mouthfeel is very heavy and sticky.

Overall, a really bad beer in my opinion. Like drinking overly sweet cough syrup. I really could only drink a couple ounces of this. Above and beyond cloying. There is just way too much going on in this beer and it is beyond sweet. I was really expecting a lot more.

2.03/5  rDev -44.8%

Mild brown foamy head builds and quickly fades. No lacing. Brew is deep purple.

Sour scent dominates. Lots of brown sugar and maple syrup. The nose does not hold up to the listing of blends on the bottle. Where's the barrel aged, rye, or bourbon???

Whoa! Sugar bomb! Heavy brown sugar, raisin, and dry malts. Sour funk. Wet and nicely carbonated.

Funky is right, but not in a good way... I'm not getting any flavors the bottle is claiming. To me, this brew is a total mess. It's missing all vanilla and barrel flavoring. Kinda makes me sick to my stomach... Not recommended.

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

2.28/5  rDev -38%

First try of Shmaltz brewing, a brewery that I’ve been watching for a while. For some reason, this one had a picture of George W. Bush’s face taped over the afro face on the label – looks like someone in the liquor store had a little fun.

Batch #1, brewed nearly three months before the date of this tasting (bottle date 3/6/2012 on the label).

A: Black body with a dark brown, soda-like transparency at the bottom of the glass. The head, a big, slow-moving, dark tan cream; full, smooth retention and a collection of stringy lacing all over. Looks like a stout.

S: Sour and fruity, acidic and complex: the biggest aromas are fig, cherry sauce, pecan, and a bright, bretty funk. It’s smoothly tannic, but with big hits of oak, grape, burnt sugar, rye whiskey, coconut, and vanilla nougat.

T: Dark, creamy sours dominate this palate; I’m not even sure how to explain it. It’s so cloyingly sweet, sticking the palate into a syrupy, unpleasant place. It’s all too much – thick licorice, root beer, and molasses that do nothing but lay on the tongue with too much oiliness. Sure, it has a bit of funkiness (via sour cherry and grape), and the malts do provide a gingerbread, rye, and cinnamon taste, but the whole palate is sadly cloying. Finishes like cough syrup, with a booziness that tastes more like vodka and coke than bourbon. Strange, strange brew, Shmaltz.

M: This one is very mildly carbonated – it goes down slick, way too mouth-coating for such a painfully sweet palate. I can’t finish my first glass.

O: Funky Jewbelation just hit all the wrong spots for me. I don’t know what it is, but I did not really enjoy the taste of it; I heard that the standard Jewbelation 15 was good, though.

2.3/5  rDev -37.5%

22oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. It poured dark brown, almost black in color. A thin, sticky head was scattered across the top of the beer.

In the aroma the first thing I notice is the sour cherry flavors. From what I read I didn't think "Funky" was supposed to mean it was an American Wild, but that's definitely what I'm getting out of it. Behind the sour cherries I get a sweeter, sugary malitness. Not nearly enough of the barrel character comes through for me but it's definitely sweet and funky.

The taste follows with more of a tart cherry flavor showing up throughout. Again, it's also very sweet and sugary but the barrel flavors do show up just a little in the finish. It's definitely overly sweet and sugary and the sour, tart cherry flavor just dominated.

The mouthfeel feels syrupy while carbonation is a little above average. Overall, it wasn't a good beer and was a waste of $12. I'd put money that it's infected and it will start to live up to the "Funky" name as time goes on. I didn't get much of the blended base beers or barrel aging to it, just a tart, funky, sub-par American wild profile.

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Had this over my birthday,

Appearance, A good very dark brown with 1/2" head

Smell, had some great whiskey, rye, and a little hop notes that I could detect.

Taste, Upfront more carbonated than their usual beer. It gets weird here, the pomegranate was SO overpowering that it made this beer undrinkable in my opinion just way to sour. It was just too much for me. There were flavors of Jewbelation 15 that I could barely detect so I went back for a few more sips till I couldn't take it anymore.

Overall, a good one time experience and it is definitely a Funky beer. So for any who love a strange tasting sour, try this one out

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%