Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros
1.53/5  rDev -60.8%

Wow, this was a shocker of a beer!
I shouldn't have been surprised, it says "Schlenkerla Smokebeer" right on the bottle. But I'd never had a smoke-beer before, so hey.

Nice pour; nice dark amber. The proper shade of amber in my opinion.
A tan/beige head, pretty tall, but goes down to a nice lacing reasonably quick.

But then the smell. A highly pungent smell of smoked bacon. Orange smoked bacon.

The taste was no better. A sour taste of smoked apricot. I can see why some people would like this, but I sure couldn't hack it. (537 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -57.2%

25 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip.

$7.99 / ea.

S: Smoke, and nothing else. Imagine a camp fire.

A: Cloudy brown body, thick rocky tight white head that leaves wonderful lacing.

T: Smoke, and somewhat sour. A little bit like jerky. Not my thing.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation. The bite from the carbonation stays on the tongue well after you are done drinking.

D: I had to throw away most of the bottle. I don't like smoke beer.

O: No. . . (452 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

Purchased at the LCBO for around $4.00 for a 500ml bottle. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a 1" white head that lasts for a minute before film out. Very dark brown color and unfiltered

S- Artificial smoke.

T- Artificial smoke plain and simple. Overpowers all

M- Pretty dry

O- Horrible. Drain poured it

Food Pairing

Sorry but this was a drain pour so no food pairing

Horrible and not enjoyable in any way (439 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Rauchbier Weiss Beer: A weiss smoke beer, brown in color and definitely smoky in the aroma. Very little head, what there was dissipated quickly. WOW, I do NOT get this whole smoke beer concept. It tastes like an arson investigation. Consequently, I swirled the yeast at the bottom and added it to the glass. That’s better, it went from a felony to an aggravated misdemeanor. Really bad. (392 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -49.5%

maybe rauchbier isn't my style, although i love this brewery's helles lager. deep brownish copper/dirty mahogany in color with just a slight haze. off-white to light tan creamy head and really nice lacing that coats the glass throughout. nose is all smoky bacon which carries through in the flavor. like drinking a smoked ham hock. very dry and crisp. mouthfeel is a bit thin and astringent. obviously, this would be great with barbecue. probably great to cook with and not so much to drink. (491 characters)

The smokiness is far too overpowering for my taste. Weizens are often quite delicate flavours with subtle nuances, which are all completely killed here by the smokiness. It's an interesting beer but that doesn't make it drinkable. (230 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -48.2%

Received a pint bottle as a gift, was intrigued by the bottle being almost completely in German. You see "Weizen" on a beer and expect a Weis. You see "smokebeer" on a beer and think "Wait, is this a weis or a smoked porter maybe?" Not speaking fluent German, I had no idea.

When I opened, poured and smelled I thought to myself "Hey, this smells just like "Liquid Smoke." That was weird enough, but the beer tastes just like liquid smoke too. Which is awesome if you're using it to mix into a baste for BBQ chicken, but it's just creepy when you try to drink it. No thanks Germany, I'll stick to beers that don't remind me of mesquite chicken. (645 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -45.4%

500 ml bottle, bought at KaDeWe, Berlin. With the Ae S Märzen’s overpowering aroma of smoked sausages in mind, I opened the Weizen with trembling anticipation and fear. The beer is murky brown, and pours with an enormous greyish off-white head. Intense aroma of smoked pork / uncooked bacon, which nearly overpowers the normal hefe elements (cloves and banana) that are faintly present in the background. Flavour has some uncooked bacon notes too, but they are not as overpowering as in the aroma. Fairly smooth to drink, but let’s face it: smoked pork is not what I want to smell nor taste in a beer. Sorry! (611 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -43.1%

This one had an intense aroma of barbecue, very Smokey. Poured with a head that almost instantly dissipated. It felt like I was drinking water. The flavor, however, was not unimpressive. I sensed a sweetness, salt, ham and believe it or not I tasted kilbasa, hahha. I thought it was a little bland, and the flavors didn't linger except for the Smokey flavor. I think that having the beer with some good barbecue would make it quite an enjoyable one. (449 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -40.5%

Pours a ruddy dark brown color with decent foam that left behind very little lacing. Big aroma of smoked meats and fish. i know this is usual for the style, but man, i don't like it all that much. Flavor is about the same. Big and smokey. Smoke flavors trumps everything else, but there is a nice sweet, weizen base that occasionally pokes it's head through. Creamy mouthfeel, decent carbonation. Not so easy to drink because of all the smoked meat and fish attributes going on. If you like your beer brimming with smoked malts a twist of beef jerky, with a dash of bacon, than this one's for you! (597 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -34.6%

pours a very dark amber color with some sediment floating around in the brew, has a big head on it. as soon as i pop the top i notice strong the smell is, its unbelievably strong, it smells like 10 year old jerky, it truly is nuts that they can make a beer like this, without adding slim jim wrappers during fermentation. the taste though is not impressive at all, the smell overpowers everything, but the taste is not very impressive. i'm not too impressed with this beer overall. (481 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -34.4%

A - Opaque brown body, with a finger of creamy off-white head.
S - Bacon, smoked ham, smoke, ham,
T - I understand why this beer should be smokey, but I dont understand why this beer should taste like ham. Thats the beginning and end of the flavor for me. There is just too much smoke, no balance as in Stone Smoked Porter or Fujizakura's Rauch. The dunkel weizen character is entirely missing here.
M - Thin light body.
D - If I wanted some smoked ham, I would fry up a plate. Pass on this over the top, unbalanced beer. (527 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a brown color with a creamy head and little lacing. Smell was smoky with a hint of banana and clove. Taste was the same as the smell except the flavors were hidden much more. Mouthfeel was a little thin with a decent amount of carbonation. Drinkability, I didn't really find this to be that drinkable, perhaps it was a bad bottle, I would like to try again and compare. (376 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

I wanted to try this beer to see if I could appreciate smoked beer and this one was a wizen to boot. Had this at the El Bait Shop in Des Moines. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a brown color with a medium head. Smells of smoked cheese and meat. Taste was mostly smokey too with the wheat trying to come through but failing. This beer was hard for me to drink. One bottle is more than enough for a night. Just not my style of beer. (430 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -30%

Muddy colour, typical of a dunkel weizen, with foam not very compact and persistent, for a weizen beer. The smell is smoke, smoke and smoke. The smoked flavour of a "scamorza" (italian smoked cheese). Smoke of green wood. The typical flavour of a weizen is still present, even if a little difficult to feel in the abundancy of the smoke. At the taste the smoke is less predominant, and the weizen feeling is more perceptible, with a little of citric (lime). Aftertaste of smoke (ma va?)Unbalanced. (497 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -29.7%

Had a short-necked bottle which was poured into a pint glass. The color was a deep, cloudy dark brown with a nice creamy head. For a smoked beer, I thought the smell was very light on the smoked flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed the marzen version from Aecht Schlenkerla but thought this weizen version was too light on the smoke flavor in both smell and taste. Tasted slightly chewy. I would probably stick to the marzen version which I thought was exceptional. (457 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

This one forms a nice firm head, no lacing surprisingly and has a very lively body. It certainly looks a lot like a dark hef.

Sweet almost artificially sweetened smoke. The wheat elements are certainly showing.

I expected something so different….my first taste of this was some head that was over powering and it had some good sweet creamy hef like qualities with smoke tones. The first sip of the actual beer is rather odd. Smoke is suble but very present. The malt has a sour like flavor that I’ve gotten in some less enjoyable dark hefs but no cloves or bananas or strong sweet elements. Instead there is some kind of smoked meat (ham?) mixed with a sour malt.

The body on this one is awful. It is just so thin so weak and the carbonation isn’t that creamy hef carbonation or even a good pale ale, but instead it is sharp and bites the tongue. It has the kind of carbonation that makes you burp and I frankly can’t think of a worse quality in a beer.

It seems this style is much like bourbon barrel ales. It isn’t a style as much as a finishing element, but because of tradition it has a style. I like the smoke flavors, but some element of this process isn’t working with the hef. I really think there is potential for these two to mesh, but either a touch less smoke or a touch more malt is needed to get things going in the right direction. (1,364 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

The aroma is something you either hate or love and I love it. It is very unique. The appearance is a reddish brown and the head is large. The flavor is well balanced. It has a sweet maltiness to go along with the bitter and smoke flavor. There is also a tang in there. The palate is thin. Overall it's smokey and it's not my style but it's interesting none the less. (366 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Been working my way through the Schlenkerla offerings, thus far really enjoying the Marzen and not being so fond of the Eiche. Didn't know what to expect with Weizen (other than a recent newfound appreciation for weizens), but this one jumped the tracks pretty quickly. Totally could be an old bottle issue, and I'd happily revisit it again to make sure, but for now I have to score it low. Best way to describe it would be BBQ-flavored potato chips. Literally smelled salty, the weisse bier notes just couldn't be found, too muddled in with the salty, BBQ smoked malt. I choked down as much as I could before waving the white flag. Again, hope to find it on tap someday to verify these findings. (696 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -25.1%

A-pours a murky brown that strangley appears kind of light paleness to it with an enourmous white head
S-huge smokiness with a tobaccco flavor with a slight malt sent in the background
T-a strong smokeyness with a grilled meat flavor and tabacco tanginess a little bit of malt hangs around in the background but is well hidden after an initial bbq blast, definitely an aquired tase not much of a fan
M-rather heavy body with very little carbonation and definately a careful sipper
D-overall very non drinkable besides the acquired taste the heavy body it was presents a huge problem in drinking more than one the wheat is apparent but does very little in this beer (666 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -24.4%

Bottle: solid brown 500mL bottle, nice German label.

Appearance: a clear beer, dirt-brown in colour with limited carbonation. A frothy head pops up and disappears entirely within the first ten seconds.

Aroma: very interesting - some sweet-smelling smoke. Certainly not something I am used to. Hopefully this one agrees with me more than the Rauchbier Urboch.

Taste: far better than the Urboch, but only so far as it doesn't turn my face inside out. I'm struggling to get anything other than the smoke in this - no wheat flavours at all. If anything, a touch of cured meats also.

Aftertaste: the strong meat and smoke flavours become a bit more demure in the aftertaste. Settles to a camping wood-fire flavour. A really bizarre flavour.

Mouth feel: medium in body with a moderate carbonation to carry the flavour across. The feel seems to be pretty good.

Overall: I'm still getting used to rauchbiers, and this one seems an awful lot more drinkable than the Urboch. I think I'll have to have quite a few more of these before I allow myself to pass any kind of judgement on them. (1,083 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

First Rauchbier...

A - Poured out a brownish orange color with a bubbly, off-white, two-finger head. Left some lace.

S - Smelled like a campfire or BBQ grill. Very smoky and some leathery aromas, too.

T - It reminded me of a baked ham or hickory smoked bacon. Very smoky tasting with some sweet underlying malts. Almost tasted like how a campfire smells.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A medium to heavy-bodied beer.

D - I rate the drinkablility low because it tasted too much like food and not like a beer. Seriously, six hours later I burped and tasted smoked bacon. Not pleasant. (584 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark brown body while it was sitting on the bar - when held to the light you get a nice mahogany color. The head is an off-white color that does not hang around too long. Didn't see much lacing if any.

Smell: Real hickory smoked ham hocks. And then more smoke. I could not go with average. It's not average - it's smoked beer. So, the smell did not make me think weizen beer so, the 2.5.

Taste: SMOKE! I'll have to drink this while I cook up some ribs. Smoked spice, smoky head on the nose while drinking, smoked malts, there has to be hops for that bitter sour note so, smoked hops, and smoke on the water. It is smoky. I gave it a 3.5 because it is unusual and as I drink it a kinda took a liking to it so, I could not give it a 2.5.

Mouthfeel: I liked the fine carbonation and the slight creamy texture but, they are soon taken away by the smoky profile and roasty undertones. Then the watery style hits the back of the palate to help clean up a little bit except you are left with SMOKE damage on the after taste.

Personally I do not think it is that drinkable. One and done. You should try it. I have had it before when I was out for dinner. And, I bought it again - only one bottle but, I still bought it. I'll wait till summer and when I put those ribs on the grill - I'll make sure I try one more. Maybe with BBQ food I'll like it a little more.
I have to say, the taste is unique. (1,405 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -22.8%

I'm suprised that some others tasted anything other than the smoke. More overwhelming than I would have thought. I actually bought this thinking it was a regular hefe (although I knew they made the Rauchbier). After a hefe like pour (albeit a dark one) nothing but smoke, smoke, smoke. I liked smoked food, and I would like to try this with a smoked sausage or something. Beyond that, I could think of no other reason to have this again. (437 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

I am going to retry this beer and give it another shot, but I would like to say that I had the hardest time finishing this beer.

Beer served in a hefeweizen glass from a bottle. Beer is dark / black brown. Head is large and steady. Can't tell the carbonation. It looks good, lets keep going.

Smell is overwhelming. Hickory and smoke. VERY STRONG SMELL. I don't have to lift the glass to my face to smell it. Knocks me over. What is this going to taste like? Burnt wood?

I coughed. Seriously, I felt like I was suffocating. Beer is medium bodied. No sweetness I can detect up front, just the smoke in the back.

I feel like I'm exhaling smoke after I swallow. Maybe this is the point. The most dominant flavor is smoke, the second most is smoke, followed closely by the strong aftertaste of smoke. I had to drink another beer to get the smoke flavor out of my mouth.

I'll try the other and maybe this one again since I'm clearly in the minority on this one. SMOKE! (968 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla