Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

500 ml bottle, no bottled on date present. My first beer from this brewery, my first Schlenkerla Rauchbier.

Poured into a Big Eddy snifter glass.

A - Pours a dark tawny coppery brown body, semi-clear, with about a finger of wispy off-white head. Doesn't leave much lacing behind. Looks alright for what it is.

S - Aromas of campfire, leather, wood. Clean bready malts and some yeast presence is noted as well.

T - Flavor follows the nose: clean & wheaty, but the smoke malt dominates the show.

M - Medium-light in body, fairly easy-drinking, but somewhat fullish in body; not quenching by any means. Fluid, but semi-dry.

Overall, an alright first beer from this brewery for me, but not something I'm too willing to explore more of.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen -----3.5/5

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served cool from 500ml bottle into weizen glass. I'm not the biggest rauch fan, but will try to give it a fair hearing.

L) Chestnut brown, some big lumps of yeast falling down as it is poured from the bottle. Very hazy as per any hefeweizen. Head is a disappointment, thing bubbly film is all you get.

S) All rauch, no weizen. Burnt charcoal, maybe hints of sweet malt. At least you are left in no doubt that this is a rauchbier.

T) First, a hint of sweetness, followed very quickly by the taste of hotdogs, with a lingering burnt wood flavour. Sweetness is always there, before and after the smokey hit. The smoke is also lingering. To get any sense of this being a weizen, you have to stop drinking for a couple of minutes, and there is a bit of wheat sourness there, always with hotdog smoke. Really interesting that a drink can give you more complex taste and flavour than a food.

F) Similar pleasant carbonation to many weizens. The aftertaste is a lot of smoke, a bit of sourness, slight hints of sweetness.

O) I had this one time before at the start of my craft / quality beer drinking years and didn't like it. Now that I have had a bit of appreciation for rauch biers (all Schlenkerla, I think) I can appreciate this one. It's difficult to imagine that there is a better rauch weizen in the world, but if there is I will surely seek it out and try it.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours chestnut brown, perhaps some sediment. Head is light reddish tan and tries hard to not fade.

Nose is nice and smokey, perhaps a little floral note behind it.

Feel is nice, light, maybe a tad lightly carbonated.

Taste starts off wheat and citrus, similar to a wit beer with an orange in it. Turns a tad earthy when as he smoke comes on. As the smoke notes finally become clear, there's also a hint of spice.

Smoke prevalent in the nose, but doesn't play hard in the taste. Not sure the combination works for me in the long run, despite liking most of their other offerings.

3.69/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

-pours a cloudy chestnut with a small,frothy,offwhite head
-high carbonation visible
-straight up smoked ham,wheat,lemon,slight pepper,slight burned plastic
-wheat and lemon upfront
-smokiness coming on
-smoke sweetness
-black pepper
-light to medium body
-medium carbonation
Definitely less smokey than the Rest of Schlenkerlas Rauchbier lineup and not quite as complex.
Still a good and interesting Weizen.

The smokiness is far too overpowering for my taste. Weizens are often quite delicate flavours with subtle nuances, which are all completely killed here by the smokiness. It's an interesting beer but that doesn't make it drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before Jan 2016 and served just below cellar temperature.

Pours a muddy copper-amber colour, producing just over one finger of dense, creamy-looking, light beige-coloured head. Retention is decent; it seeps away slowly over five minutes or so, leaving behind a smooth cap and foamy collar. Lovely aroma that is dominated by beechwood-smoked malt, reminiscent of ham or maybe smoked salmon. Mild hints of banana, clove spice and bready, wheaty sweetness are less attention-grabbing, but play an important role nonetheless.

This is a very nice cross between a German-style wheat beer and an authentic rauchbier. You get a hint of the smoke at first, but it is wheaty, bready malts and some caramel sweetness that provide the initial burst of flavour - followed soon after by notes of plum and applesauce. Beechwood smoke and clove spice take over toward the finish, providing a bacon-esque savoriness alongside hints of earth and wood. Medium-bodied, with restrained carbonation levels and quite a smooth, soft feel on the palate. While I usually take my time with their märzen, this little number is just way too easy to knock back - I'd eagerly drink another, but I'm saving the other bottle for the slow cooker.

Final Grade: 4.3, an impressive A grade. As a big German wheat beer fan, I'm probably a little biased as far as this one goes - but I just have to say that I really prefer Schlenkerla's Rauchbier Weizen over their märzen. This one's smokiness, though still a strong presence, is less "in-your-face" when compared to their other brews, and a much more drinkable beverage for it. Keeping in mind that I can still count the number of true rauchbiers I've had on one hand, this is definitely my favourite so far - though I can surely understand why serious smoke beer aficionados would prefer one of this brewery's bolder offerings. A definite must-try in my books; one that I hope to see imported on a more regular basis.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I love this brewery and I've only had two of their beers. But shoot, I'm a sucker for smoke, and if they can make a good smokey weizen, then I'm a happy camper...I mean, drinker.

FIrst of all, this is as much head as I've ever gotten on a wheat beer, and it sticks around. It pours a mostly clear (considering it's unfiltered) dark red color.

The nose is subtle and it's hard to get much on it, but there is a definite sweet, grassy scent there, with just a hint of maltiness. The first sip, though, unleashes the smoke flavor I was waiting for. It's tastefully subdued, but clearly present. Less present but still there are the grassy flavors and a bit of banana. A slight bitter hops briefly flickers on the back end before leaving the mouth with a nice earthy aftertaste.

Overall, a very nice beer that does what I was hoping it to do, flavor-wise, without overdoing it.

4.27/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hazed brownish amber colour with one finger of white head and some lace. Smell is of smoke and campfire, meaty BBQ and bacon with underpinnings of banana, wheat and spice. Taste is a nice mix of smoke, banana and BBQ, campfire and spice with points of cocoa showing up at points as well, quite complex and well flavoured. Medium carbonation-medium body. Solid stuff, very tasty and extremely enjoyable.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I like smoke beers in general, but I didn't care much for this brew. Oak wood smoke doesn't seem to agree with me. The beech wood smoke of their marzen and ur bock is lighter, with less of a sour element to it.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Very tasty rauchbier. From bottle into tulip glass, poured a medium brown, lacing faded fairly quickly. Smell has notes of smoked cheddar, leather, malty notes of caramel wheat and barley. Aroma is strongly smoky and rich.

Taste has a smooth smoky start, smoked cheese, robust with some caramel, drying smoke, a bit woody and earthy. Creamy mouthfeel, beechwood, some caramel sweetness, raisins, banana rich hefeweizen yeast notes, smoked pepper. Delicious with a drying earthy finish.

Very dilicious and creamy full bodied weizen, smoky and spicy with a rich earthy and spice notes, overripe banana and cinnamon clove spice, with smoked bacon and wood.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I approach this bottle with a high dose of trepidation. A fear really that I spent almost 3 English pounds on a potential drain pour. You see it is my first smoked beer but they say try everything once.

Pours really nice, but what the hell is that smell, poured with such a large head that I had to wait a little to let it settle before I could finish the bottle. It is a tan colour, similar to a port although very cloudy.

The smell is just smokey although a nice smoke aroma, like an open wood fire rather than an ashtray.

Taste is once again very smokey. I can only compare it to the taste of smoked fish without the fish flavour of course. I am struggling to pick up on the banana and clove flavour as promised on the bottle. The smoke dominates everything.

Apparently this brewery do smokier beers than this. I recommend starting with this as although I have yet to try the rest this is as smokey as I could manage. Definitely not a drain pour, I am enjoying it and I probably will buy again. Possibly in winter in front of an open fire though.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

500 mL bottle. Deep reddish brown color with a beige head. Fairly clear since I left the yeast behind in the bottle until the last few sips. Smoked meat aroma with a hint of malt sweetness. Smoke dominates the flavor, however it's more subtle when compared to the Märzen or Urbock. Smooth on the palate. A sweet and smoky, yet restrained, rauchbier. The more I try from this brewery the more I am enjoying them.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Schlenkerla are, for me at least, the definitive brewers of Rauchbier - or ‘Smoke Beer’, and their Urbock is one of my all-time favourite beers. Now that is. When I first tried Rauchbiers it was a Schlenkerla Marzen (about 3 years back) and I thought “WTF is going on?!”: You see I didn’t know I was buying a Rauchbier; I thought I was buying a Marzen, which was a style I had become enamoured with at the time... little did I know then that today I would take a Schlenkerla Urbock over any Marzen any day of the week. How tastes have changed indeed. Moral to the story: Schlenkerla Urbock is an awesome beer, get it... now!

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Stein.

A: Deep hazy seal brown body with a 1.5 inch light-beige head that slowly drops back leaving a hearty lace on the glass. This is where IT is at. Bring it Schlenkerla! 9/10.

S: Even though Schlenkerla only smoke the barley malt the aroma of smoke still dominates the aroma like nothing else. This is their Rauch-Weizen but you’ll be hard pressed to pick up anything other than that smoky bacon fragrance that I love the Urbock for... Hmmm, I take that back: a second deeper whiff reveals hints of sweet malt and spicy clove Phenols. 9/10.

T: Nah, get the Urbock. This tastes similar, although with a clove spiced ham to Urbock’s rauch schinkenspeck (smoked bacon) sandwich. However the Urbock has quite a bit more going on in the flavour (and the mouthfeel as we will soon [spoiler alert] find out). The wheat in this also makes it drier in the finish and consequentially less enjoyable than the Urbock. All the above said - even Schlenkerla’s average brews are still world class. 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light carbonation and a hint of creaminess. 8/10.

D: This was alright, I think the Weizen aspect of this could be a lot more pronounced - i.e. more banana and cloves to compliment the smoke, but I do still like this brew, tis a solid Rauch. Overall as a famous philosopher once said [this is someone from the future, in the future, talking about me] “If you can get Urbock: Get Urbock! If not, this is still decent... GET URBOCK!”. 8/10.

Food match: Christmas ham dinner or cheese and nut platter, decisions decisions.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

A: crystal clear; medium brown with amber highlights; 2 finger off white head that receded slowly to a thin cap; OK lacing;

S: smoke is subdued; wheat is noticeable; a little ham; a little clove;

T: smoke is front and center; tastes like the Swiss landjaeger I grew up eating; a touch of banana toward the back end;

M: light to medium bodied; highly carbonated; mildly dry;

O: surprisingly light bodied considering the flavor profile;

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy muddy brown with a thick puck of dense off-white head. Beautiful retention is imparted by the wheat.

An intriguing mix of smoky wood, salty ham and sausage and phenolic driven notes of clove, band-aid, and a whiff of banana peel make up the nose. I get a bit of an oaky sweetness as well. Perhaps not as smoky as the original but very unique.

Its wheat character is much more at the forefront. A touch medicinal with sweet banana and oak sliding underneath. The sweetness is rounded and pleasant. Its smoky, meaty goodness is refined and not as edgy. It's the undercarriage rather than the focal point. It's also what's left lingering in the finish.

Medium bodied with an enjoyable creaminess and below average level of carbonation. Watery on the edges with a softy, dry finish.

This is one of the most unique beers I've had to date with its combination of smokey meatiness and phenolics. I'm absolutely in love with the character smoked malt imparts. This was a good showcase for its characteristics but they were refined and tamed at the same time. The smokier, the meatier, the saltier the better. I prefer the original over this but it still held my interest from beginning to end.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Very dark but clear brew (brown/caramel color), active, topped by a slightly fizzy beige head. Decent retention.

Incredible aroma. Smoke is forefront, bringing impressive notes of wood, a long burning fire, and bacon. Yet, beneath that, and not drowned out, there is a nice banana note from the yeast.

Up front, flavor follows a fairly traditional Weizen profile: milky wheat, yeast, and grains. Some red grape flavor round out the malt profile.
There's a bit of a bite immediately, but the smoke really doesn't show up in force until the back end - after you think the brew has completely faded. That's when it hits most powerfully, but it's still smooth and approachable.

Very lively brew, carrying a bit of sting; very drinkable.

Another impressive brew from Schlenkerla. This one isn't as mind-blowing as the Urbock, but it's very good.

1.69/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

Purchased at the LCBO for around $4.00 for a 500ml bottle. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a 1" white head that lasts for a minute before film out. Very dark brown color and unfiltered

S- Artificial smoke.

T- Artificial smoke plain and simple. Overpowers all

M- Pretty dry

O- Horrible. Drain poured it

Food Pairing

Sorry but this was a drain pour so no food pairing

Horrible and not enjoyable in any way

3.86/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

500 ml bottle purchased from the local LCBO for $3.85 CDN. Served cool into a pint glass. First time seeing something other than the Marzen in stores here.

Appearance - Hazy burnt amber in color with a two finger fluffy head that just sits there for a good while. Lots of streaks of lacing left behind wrapping all the way around the glass. A little bit of visible carbonation but not too much.

Smell - Campfire, roasted sausage, wood chips, smoked meats, and just a subtle banana and clove mixture lingering in the background with a faint caramel. But as with the Marzen, it is meat, meat and more smoked meat that dominate this aroma. Banana and other fruit esters come out a bit more as the beer approaches room temperature.

Taste - Definite smokiness up front that transitions into the classic weizen abana and clove flavor, before fading away and a new wave of smoke permeates the senses.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly light and soft in the mouth, modest carbonation and a dry finish but not as try as the Marzen.

Overall - Certainly a good beer that combined some elements of a hefeweizen with the intricacies of a rauchbier and while the overall feel is a bit lighter and probably a bit more approachable for craft newbies, the smokiness is less thorough and not quite as enjoyable. Still a great beer combining some fruitiness with smoked meats in such a way, is no easy feat.

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I honestly don't know what to expect from this. I've had the Urbock from this brewery, which I liked but was so intense I would never want too much of it in one sitting. This is a rather more accessible affair, but still distinctly smoky.

The beer has a light brown body with shades of golden yellow when held to the light. Only a finger of head. It looks a little murky to be honest, not that appealing, but I don't worry too much about appearance if the taste and smell is good. Smoke dominates the nose, with little of the fruity aromas one might expect from a weissebier. In taste however, the banana and clove one would find in a hefeweizen are somewhat present, but with the smoke favours lingering on the side of the tongue. This certainly doesn't have the ' salty ham' taste of the Urbock. Mouthfeel is fairly spiky, but richer than a hefeweizen.

Certainly an interesting beer, albeit not one of want all the time. I'd like to try their smoked Marzen.

4.36/5  rDev +11.5%

The use of beechwood-smoked barley has turned this Weizen quite dark; nevermind the customary look of a bright sunny afternoon, this Bavarian wheat beer has the amber twilight of dusk. It's also got a fluffy cloud-like head. Nonetheless, everything looks positive so far.

The beer smells like a delicatessen: back bacon and assorted smoked meats are the first things that come to mind. Much of the typical banana and clove aromatics are buried under a big pile of campfire embers and/or wrapped into a thick kielbasa casing. Still, some fruity esters and spicy phenols survive, making this resemble a gourmet sausage of some kind.

No kidding! Although unequivocally German, this particular Rauchbier tastes a little like Bulgarian Kebapche or the sausages from Italy's Piedmont that use allspice, nutmeg, cloves and the like to impart a pleasing spiciness to all the smoky, meaty and more savory notes.

Heck, as if there wasn't enough dimension as is, the malts also lend an agreeable and very nutty sweetness similar to that of this brewery's Märzen Rauchbier. The bruised pear, plum, banana, and apple esters meld wonderfully with this ale's distinctive fennel and caraway flavours.

Not only are Schlenkerla Rauchbiers some of the world's unique and interesting beers, but they're also among the most food versatile too. The addition of background banana and spice flavours to the customary meat, smoke, and malt makes the Weizen particularly easy to adapt to any grilled, braised, or marinated meats (pork!) as well as wild rice, root vegetables, foraged or cabbage-based dishes.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen offers all the meaty and campfire qualities I love about the Märzen but in a leaner, lighter package. There's really no reason to feel intimidated here as the singed, rough-hewn wood notes are even more deeply entwined with sweet malt, fruity esters, and spicy/savory phenolics. It's one that'll certainly change peoples' impressions of beer.

2.89/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Been working my way through the Schlenkerla offerings, thus far really enjoying the Marzen and not being so fond of the Eiche. Didn't know what to expect with Weizen (other than a recent newfound appreciation for weizens), but this one jumped the tracks pretty quickly. Totally could be an old bottle issue, and I'd happily revisit it again to make sure, but for now I have to score it low. Best way to describe it would be BBQ-flavored potato chips. Literally smelled salty, the weisse bier notes just couldn't be found, too muddled in with the salty, BBQ smoked malt. I choked down as much as I could before waving the white flag. Again, hope to find it on tap someday to verify these findings.

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16.9 oz. bottle poured into "craft beer glass" (wide-mouthed stick)

L: brown, amber ... clear ... pours a decent tan head of foam almost 1-inch tall that doesn't stick and isn't lacing, though the tan collar of foam is nice; very few bubbles rising up the column

S: very little at its coldest; as it warms ... toasted Halls cough drops ... there's a menthol thing happening, maybe like a real green piece of mesquite burning in the barbecue pit ... boy, it gets good as it continues to warm, REAL smoke now, and good smoke, like some pecan logs smoking a pit full of meat; that menthol thing might be coming from the wheat, a "twang" that could be burning bananas, hard for me to name but it's there

T: menthol ... something medicine-like but not that rubbing-alcohol taste many beers get; lots of smoke here, an oak-wood/pecan-wood smoke coming off the barbecue pit kind of smoke, but it's not burnt ... it's more of toasted flavor; just a short hint of wheat-ale banana, but it's subdued under all the smoke

F: very nice ... well carbonated for a beer that has a slightly "flat" look

O: I think I like it better than the smoked Marzen, but it's a lot of the same, which is to say a ton of smoke flavor that manages to remain well short of tasting burnt; it really is like a toasted flavor ... or the (duh) flavor of the smoke coming off a burning log not the burning log.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Serving: Bottle into Weizen glass
Served: 28 January 2015

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with mud-colored accents and a creamy tan head that takes forever to die down, just as a wheat beer should. The Trüb in the beer was a bit unsightly, but it obviously gets mostly mixed in. Collected a bit at the bottom.

Smell: Soft smoke notes and a faint assertion of the typical Weißbier banana ester.

Taste: Really great contrast between the soft banana notes from the Weizen base and the smoked malts. The Weizen base and the smoke fit even though they are very different overall, they fit together and create a rather pleasurable drinking experience.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky, just like you'd expect from an unfiltered Weizen.

Overall: Not Schlenkerla's best, but even that puts in squarely in the top 5% of beers. A great beer that shows what can be done without brewing with adjuncts. One of my favorite Rauchbiere. Recommended.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Pours an extremely dark brown/ruby, almost black at first glance. Forms a nice finger and a half of creamy slightly tan head. Whispy lacing.
S - Literally liquid bacon. Not just the smoke, it has the rich fatty and meaty aromas. There are some malts there too, but it literally smells like a plate of hot, freshly fried bacon. For me that's delicious.
T - Good, but unfortunately not nearly as wild as the aroma would lead you to believe it will be. It's much more subdued with malts and balanced.
O - A fine smoke beer or Rauchbier.
V - Single bottle, moderately good value.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

After 10 days of illness the is the way to break the beer famine. From one of my favourite breweries in the world.
I really like how the non smoked wheat yeast works with the smoked barley malt leading to a lighter smokiness than there Marzen & Urbock.
Brings back memories of my visit to the brewery a dozen or so years ago..

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla