Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros
4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: nut brown, creamy white head that forms a skim coat

Smell: smoky (obviously), very much like smoked pork: greasy and slightly metallic; some noble hops are evident but not prominant; tinny and some very faint fruity esters

Taste: predominantly smoky, with the same sort of tinny metallic character as in the nose; no bitterness, omly smoke

Mouthfeel: medium body, perhaps a little on the lighter side; little apparent carbonation; kind of flat and a little watery

This si the marzen's little brother. Not as agressive with the smoke, more subtle in every regard. (586 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into Delerium Trimens glass.

Appearance- light, faun colored head over deep, rich brown-with-amber body. Head fell fairly quickly to a single coating on the top of the beer.

Smell- very thick smell of woodsmoke, obviously. Brings to mind barbecue, beef jerky, and camping in the woods. Some sweet, fruity notes hide at the edges of the aroma.

Taste- smokey and sweet. The smoke flavor and the burnt flavor are very present, but not as overwhelming as I was worried they would be. The other main flavor is a strong, sweet, rich malt, which has caramel and cherry flavors. Swallow is smokey, like a jerky, into round of very sweet malt, with a mellow but clear smoked aftertaste. A hint of sourness is present throughout, but only at a trace level.

Mouthfeel- very light, the beer itself isn't especially thick, and bottle conditioning provides a higher than average carbonation. The net effect is that this beer feels very light on the palate, so that rather than stomping around like a heavy, smoked BBQ sauce, it rather floats and wafts, like a wood fire outside in the fall.

Drinkability- this beer is very intensely and unusually flavored, but it is light, and leaves the palate surprisingly clean. All things considered, it is surprisingly drinkable.

Notes- I did not come to this beer with high hopes of loving it, but only with a desire to try something unusual and different. What I found was a beer that, while it is fairly unique, is no novelty act; it is strong and different, but also balanced, flavorful and rich. (1,538 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured a bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours coppery, orange-brown, hazy, with a phenomenal amount of tightly beaded tan head. Good retention and rocky on the surface.

S: maple, bacon-like smoke aroma dominates. Could not detect a weizen-like clove aroma.

T: The bacony, smoky flavor is most prominent in the beginning, with a phenolic clove flavor in the end. Early in consumption the cloviness is mild, but as my palate became accustomed to the smoky flavor, I began to notice it more prominently and more immediately. The smoke balances reasonably well with the weizen-like clove flavor.

M: light like a weizen, although the smoke flavor infers a little heaviness, probably just playing tricks on my mind. The lightness makes it somewhat refreshing for a smoke beer.

D: I was unsure about how the weizen and smoke flavors would combine, but they balanced better than I thought. This would pair well with a smoked sausage or wurst. Quite enjoyable although I still favor the maerzen. (991 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -29.7%

Had a short-necked bottle which was poured into a pint glass. The color was a deep, cloudy dark brown with a nice creamy head. For a smoked beer, I thought the smell was very light on the smoked flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed the marzen version from Aecht Schlenkerla but thought this weizen version was too light on the smoke flavor in both smell and taste. Tasted slightly chewy. I would probably stick to the marzen version which I thought was exceptional. (457 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +21.5%

16.9 oz bottle in 16 oz Weizen Glass

A - Pours rich sweet potato colors. Stays cloudy after settling. Solid inch and a half lite weight head. Minimal lacing.

S - Pungent smoke at obnoxiously delicious levels. Bacon, Wood, Dry Aged Meats. Some sweet accents of malt and carmel.

T - Camp fire as you take it in opens up with dark fruits and hint of sour apple. As it sits on your tongue you really taste the grassiness of the wheat that lightens it. Washes dry with a subtle nuttiness you swore you tasted on the tip of your tongue.

M - Very lite and crisp. Carbonation resonates under your tongue with an slight effervescence.

O - Of the three (Marzen, Urbock, & Weizen) Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers this is the most balanced and approachable to a rauchbier novice in my opinion. I could session drink this one, where the other two are tasting beers. (854 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +25.4%

"Listen! You smell something?"

With the advent of beeradvocate.com, it's been exceedingly difficult to buy beers on blind faith. This often takes the surprise out of tasting great beers. Fortunately, I had never read a review of this beer prior to tasting it.

I was completely overwhelmed by Schlenkerla's taste. Take the best smoked meat you've ever tasted and ferment it... that's what this is like. Never in a million years would I have thought you could successfully brew such a wonderful smoke beer.

If made a top 5 beer list, this would certainly be on it. It's just too unique to overlook. From the first whiff you take, you're captivated. That's all I can say.

You really ought to try this one. It must be one of the beer community's best kept secrets. (773 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

You either love smoked beers or hate them. I have come to notice, especially with Schlenkerla, that once you have the smoked taste, it is hard to pick out the actual flavor of the beer you are drinking. (Marzen, Wheat, etc.)
I did like the Marzen a bit better but the wheat is much lighter and suitable for summer. Spicy Orange and Clove notes. Would also make a great beer in the Fall. (387 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to Hyland 24 for sharing this one with me. Poured from bomber to pilsner glass a dark brown with a half inch of tan head that reduced to nothing. Swirling in the yeast produced an almost Lava lamp appearnce that was more dramatic than usual. I think I smell, yep that's BACON, unmistakable delicious bacon aroma. Tasted like liquid bacon with a smokey flavor and some light carbonation. Any other flavor in this beer is lost on me due to my love for Bacon. As much as I enjoyed this I could not see myself having more than one of these. However I will have this beer again to share this unique taste with a friend or with some food pairings. (648 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a bomber into a pilsner with Ba buddy pleepleus.

Poured dark brown getting slightly lighter towards the bottom with a two inch tannish white foam head. The smell was pure bacon including the smoke and the salt. With a slight hint of soap. The taste was right on par with the smell which was big bacon and smoke flavors. Finished with a slight hint of malt. Overall a medium bodied beer with a slightly oily mouthfeel leaving behind a spicy feel. Not my preference when it comes to beer but interesting and a good rep for this style. Glad I tried it but wouldnt go out of my way for it again. (604 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

I wanted to try this beer to see if I could appreciate smoked beer and this one was a wizen to boot. Had this at the El Bait Shop in Des Moines. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a brown color with a medium head. Smells of smoked cheese and meat. Taste was mostly smokey too with the wheat trying to come through but failing. This beer was hard for me to drink. One bottle is more than enough for a night. Just not my style of beer. (430 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Hazy brown color , big beige head. Smoked bacon aroma with wheat and malty notes. Taste is similar to aroma . Medium body , soft carbonated. Smoked aftertaste. (159 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a light brown, clove color. Thick 1-inch white foamy head that dissipates to ¼ inch after a few minutes. Not much lacing.

Smells of smoked bacon, but not overwhelming. Some malt.

A smoky taste, but not as overpowering as I remember from when I visited the brewery. A hint of creaminess one would expect from a weizen, even a hint of banana hidden behind the smoke. Finish is smoke, a little dry, and slight smoky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is crisp, and full. Some carbonation hits the back of my throat.

I remember not really enjoying this beer when I had it in Bamberg 2-years ago. But frankly, I enjoyed it today. The "best before" date is Dec09, so, the bottle is approx 1-year old. Perhaps the smoke fads with time? Anyhow, I would drink another.

Serving type: 500 ml bottle (789 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -25.1%

A-pours a murky brown that strangley appears kind of light paleness to it with an enourmous white head
S-huge smokiness with a tobaccco flavor with a slight malt sent in the background
T-a strong smokeyness with a grilled meat flavor and tabacco tanginess a little bit of malt hangs around in the background but is well hidden after an initial bbq blast, definitely an aquired tase not much of a fan
M-rather heavy body with very little carbonation and definately a careful sipper
D-overall very non drinkable besides the acquired taste the heavy body it was presents a huge problem in drinking more than one the wheat is apparent but does very little in this beer (666 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

appearance: rich dark brown to amber color little head but a pretty beer

smell: smokey greatness like good bacon or meat mouth watering

taste: malty smokey flavor once it hits your lips

mouthfeel: you never want this taste to leave and it doesn't oh so good

overall: fantastic this is a playground for a man's palet (325 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

01/09/2010
1 pt. 09 FL. OZ. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

First crack at a rauchbier...

A: Filled the glass with a dark, slightly hazy amber. Good head retention through quite a few sips.

S: No lie about this being a smokebeer. My nose wasn't even close to the glass when I felt that I had stuck my head into a smokehouse filled with cured meats. Spicy with what I thought were hints of hickory.

T: Its smokey bark is worse than it's bite. Strong smell gave way to smoother taste, although I still felt like I was pouring dry-brushed pork ribs into my glass.

M: The smokiness not only stayed on my tongue but I thought it also entered my nostrils when I sipped the beer. Slight burn on my tongue as well.

D: Overwhelmed at first by how smokey this beer is. Definitely not trying this again until the summer, but I can't wait to bring it to the first BBQ of the season.

Verdict: Drinking this without food is doing yourself a disservice. (951 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

Had a bottle of this over Christmas and I was not disappointed.

Appearance was very black, almost motor oil like, with no head and minimal lacing on the sides of the glass. It resembled a dark chocolate brown with hints of amber colors.

Smell was very strong in hops and very smoky, almost like smelling an outdoor meat smoker. Very rich in aroma and definitely a crafty work of art.

Taste was delicious. The smoke flavors with the roasted hops made this an excellent brew. Very hearty too, this is definitely not for the light-hearted.

Mouthfeel was thick and satisfying. Again, definitely a relaxing and thick brew.

Drinkability is good. This is the first rauchbier I've tried and it's definitely a great one. Looking forward to trying more of this style in the future. (776 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a very dirty, cloudy, brown with a huge off-white head. Head goes away relatively quickly, leaving a light coating of small bubbles. Reminds me of hard cider if it were brewed by swamp creatures.

S: "Smells like salami" was my immediate reaction. A very smoky smell that's really quite enjoyable for its uniqueness. A touch of vanilla and some bready yeast appear upon giving it additonal smells.

T: No salami at all in the taste. A smoky malt, hints of vanilla, clove, and banana, similar to a lot of other wheat beers. As it warms, the smoke really becomes more noticable. Little to no intense malt sweetness, yet very little hops bitterness either. The smoke predominates the flavor, but the subtleties of the wheat shine through nicely.

M: Dry and smooth, with little aftertaste at first. Medium body but very smooth. As the beer warms, the aftertaste sticks a bit more, almost coating the mouth with a smokiness, but certainly not offensively.

D: I wouldn't jump to drink this with every meal, but it complimented sausages wonderfully. Low in alcohol and totally enjoyable. (1,091 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21%

1 pint 9 oz bottle

A: A murky brownish color, not very pleasing but has a wonderful three finger head and beautiful lacing down the glass. The liquid is very bubbly and only negatives are its old fashioned cloudyness.

S: Smoked sausage. Wow. Very very smoky. Not very complex of an aroma due to the overwhelming smokiness. Tough to really find anything else...

T: I was expecting smoke, but the flavor was tactfully hidden until the aftertaste. Tastes very dry and clove like. Does a good job resembling a hefe. Near the end of the sip the smokyness comes through and lasts on the palate. Not a bad taste, I like how the smoke lingers but does not overpower.

M: OK here we have a problem. Way to carbonated, almost fierce. The body is not heavy but the liquid feels dry and thick. Syrupy mouthfeel accompanies the heavy carbonation poorly.

D: Meh, I dont know. I wont buy this beer alone again. I think it would be pretty good at a barbque etc. But not a daily drinker for sure. I do find myself enjoying the uniquity of this beer, but that does not mean I necissarily like it... (1,094 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

It's rare that I openly say that I love any particular style of beer. But smoked/rauch.... I love them. This smoked weizen was pleasant surprise.

The smell is dominated by the smokiness. I believe beechwood. It isn't stinking with smoke and doesn't overpower or waft over the entire room. It is light, but it is pretty much all smoke. Which for me is no problem. I really enjoy that smell a lot. Very woodsy.

Unlike other weizens the colour of this is deep for a wheat ale. Amber gold edges, but a nice reddish brown colour in depth. Very nice to look at.

On the weizen the smoke dominates the tastes as well. It just bears down on all of the common wheat beer flavors until the end where the twang of weizen pulls through nicely to remind you that you are not simply drinking a boatload of smoke. There is a tad grassiness that seems to wander and weave through the entire beer which is also very nice. A small amount of very delicate banana wants to pull through but it is stomped on by the smoke. the grass and banana hints liven things up a bit among the smoke though. But like I said, the smoke dominates this beer... clearly.

The bubbles are not over the top but it is definitely well carbonated, maybe slightly more than the average wheat beer.

Overall, another great beer from Schlenkerla. If you are looking for huge smoke in a lighter package, this is it. If you are looking for rauch in general, Schlenkerla is forever a great decision. If you do not like smoke in your beer, do not even think about touching this to your lips. (1,543 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

1 pint 9 ounce bottle

Pours nicely, frothy if poured too fast, good head throughout.

Aroma is smokey and sweet, smelling smoked campfire and some sweet malty.

Taste is classic, I've only had a few Rauchbier's but the flavor is great; the aftertaste is superb with accents of smoked baby mozzarella or cheddar or the like; Gouda maybe....the flavor upfront is sweet. Carbonation good.

Personally I don't want this beer often but with ribs, smoked meat, ribs, cheeses you just can't go wrong, give a try under these circumstances (533 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

15 December 2005, Best Before Apr 06

Dark brown with a medium sized pillowy head, not much lacing. Smoky aromas, but not overpowering as I hade anticipated, since this was my first smoked beer. Tastes of wood smoke, smoked tofu, but still with the noticeable wheaty and slightly fruity characteristics of a weizen. Fairly smooth and gentle mouthfeel. Nice to try something very different. (391 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks to GreenWBush for pointing me in the right direction for this one and for more to come.
Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear amber color with tons of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head on this one is white and fluffy thick. Looks great.
The small is so grand- I love this smokey aroma. Smells like my clothes would smell after spending a night in front of a campfire.
The smokiness in the taste is sublime. Slightly sweet malty flavor as well.
The mouthfeel is so nice- crisp, with a good level of carbonation that burns the tongue.
This beer is so tasty, I could drink it all night. I originally thought a smoke beer was a one-a-nighter, but I've changed my mind.
Now I know it for sure- I love smoke beers. I have two more from this brewery and am very much looking forward to trying them. (820 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

16.9 oz bottle

Aroma
Nice smoky scent present, although lighter and less in front than other styles I've had by Aecht (marzen & ?? Other) by same brewery.

Mouthfeel
Relatively light on the palette and a hint of being watery with medium to a bit on the higher side of carbonation

Appearance
Poured to nice 3/8" or so head which is dissipating fairly slowly, color is amber/mahoghany through imperial pint glass and is odd color for a weizen even comparing to a dunkel. The head and color are appetizing, mixed with scent would not lead you to think this was a weizen at first passing.

Taste
Smokiness comes to the front but isn't really that overpowering, with the lighter flavor of weizen this is a pleasant mixture. I maybe get a slight copperiness which may be due to travel

Drinkability
I like this I'll admit, and in full disclosure am starting to like rauchbier after the initial shock of trying one the first time and having a few smoked porters along the way. The coppery edge on finish would wear thin if it's a systemic thing, but I could drink a sixer without being overdone.

Overall
I really like this and without that copperish twang on the end it'd be rated higher. I'd like to have another to see if that's unique to this bottle or a general thing. (1,274 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +10.5%

A campfire wheat beer? Sure, why not. I like fire.
I'm going to try to recall this, so work with me.
Hazy pour, typical of a weizen style with maybe a darker golden color to it. Don't recall the head, I think it was adequate, but honestly. I was going for the nose, and what smokiness and wheat were going to give me for a ride. Enjoyable, if you like to drink the essence of a healthy campfire burning with crisp wood. Some brightness and snappiness happening just underneath, and obviously with its smoked barley. this is a malt forward beer with hops having only a bit player role. Definitely be an interesting food pairing beer and also a sharing beer with those who enjoy such things.
A very old style and traditional one that warrants your investigation, and more brewers in the new world riffing on. (809 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Dark and opague. Seems more of a dunkel weisse.

The aroma starts off with the standard Schlenkerla beechwood smoke, though it's not nearly as pungent as their marzen, and has a pleasant hefe weizen yeast spiciness that lingers in the background. I didn't think this combo would work out as nicely as it does.

The taste again has smoke and wood right up front, and perhaps some slight roast, with the hefe weizen creaminess and spiciness in the background. The smoke and yeast flavors work well together. Highly carbonated, but not more-so than others in the style.

Full-bodied for the style. A little smoke lingers in the aftertaste, giving this one an abnormally long finish.

Nice beer, but probably my least favorite Schlenkerla beer. (743 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla