Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

This brew is a hazy dark brown color, with a good sized cream colored head, resulting from a fairly rough pour out of the bottle. Some malts accompany is nice smokey wood scent. Some wheat characteristics greatly balanced out by tartness, smokey taste always lingering just below the surface. Med bodied, fairly creamy mouth. Some characteristics of the wheats i love with an added smokey rauchiocity. Pretty dank.

Tballz420, Mar 14, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -41%

This one had an intense aroma of barbecue, very Smokey. Poured with a head that almost instantly dissipated. It felt like I was drinking water. The flavor, however, was not unimpressive. I sensed a sweetness, salt, ham and believe it or not I tasted kilbasa, hahha. I thought it was a little bland, and the flavors didn't linger except for the Smokey flavor. I think that having the beer with some good barbecue would make it quite an enjoyable one.

guinnessman, Mar 06, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

I truly love the Urbock Rauchbier these folks make. I was looking for one the night I had this. Unforgiving smoke and I LIKE IT!!! This is beer with attitude, beer to drink with BBQ and great German sausages. Not for the the faint-hearted but a treat for the bold. That being said... it's good, very good, but not quite as good at the Urbock.
Pours a cloudy, amber-brown with a big fluffy, creamy head that left no lace.
Smell is smoked sausage and malt.
Taste is smoke, roasted malt, hops with just a hint of fruit in the back.
Medium/full bodied with light effervescence all over.
Drinkability is very high. And I wiill gladly have anything this brewery puts out.

PorterLambic, Feb 07, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow, did I really drink this? I can't believe that I have come from pounding Killian's Red and JW Dundee's Honey Lager in college to drinking a smoked wheat beer from Germany.
My first thought of smoked beers was "Ewww...!" But then I came to apreciate them. But when I asked for Spezial Rauchbier at Mug's Ale House, and all they had was this, I was even more wary. I mean, come on, a smoked hefe?
But I tell you, this beer was delicious. Nice dark amber color, perfect pillowy wheat beer head, hints of (surprise!) smoke and clove in the aroma. The taste was like one of the richest, most impressive hefewiezen's I've ever had, complete with banana, clove, slight citrus, a biscuity maltiness, and spicy hops, followed by a full, firm, but not overwhelming flavor of smoke. Where something like the Alaska Smoked Porter reminds you off a charred steak, this tastes like a grilled banana dessert of some sort. Sound gross? Yep. Taste gross? No way.
Nevertheless, awesome with a bacon cheeseburger, especially Mug's bacon cheeseburger.

bultrey, Jan 07, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Half-liter bottle, in a Tucher weizen glass.

Appearance: Muddy-brown, murky appearance. Good tan head that lasts.

Aroma: Smoky, almost medicinal.

Flavor/Body: Lot of smoke up front, though not nearly as much as the Marzen. Fruitiness is there if you search for it, but not enough to taste typical weizen esters, at least not with the smoke dominating. A little watery in the mouthfeel. Smoke lingers at the end.

Interesting beer, though I don't care for it as much as the Marzen. This is my first time to try it. The typical weizen flavors aren't very prominant, like I'd hoped for. I've brewed smoked beers with Weyermann malt, but not a weizen; I think I'd like to try one with a distinctive yeast like Wyeast 3068 to see if more fruit and esters come through.

allengarvin, Nov 04, 2004

I'm suprised that some others tasted anything other than the smoke. More overwhelming than I would have thought. I actually bought this thinking it was a regular hefe (although I knew they made the Rauchbier). After a hefe like pour (albeit a dark one) nothing but smoke, smoke, smoke. I liked smoked food, and I would like to try this with a smoked sausage or something. Beyond that, I could think of no other reason to have this again.

JohnnyDuvel, Aug 05, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Deep cloudy 'Chill Hazed' brown, large frothy beige head and decent lace to coat the glass. Smokey, malt laden, earthy, a quite 'Sniffable' brew. Front is malt and slightly sweet, the top thin, the finish is acidic, dry, moderate to light carbonation. Very lightly hopped, but the smoky, peat like characteristics carry through to the end. A different beer and something worth the try, for you 'Dark' lovers.

Gusler, Jul 27, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a clouded copper/brown color with a dense light tan colored head that won't quit. Big smoky nose with typical weizen banana/clove in the background. Taste is initially thin and tart and then the subtle smoke punch kicks in. Like cured, smoked ham. The taste is a little thin, but it is a wheat ale, so I don't think it is off. Kind of citrusy in the finish. Very nice change of pace for a summer drinker. The most subtle of the Schlenkerla line that I've tried.

crookedhalo, Jul 26, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

The Bamburg brew Wheat.. Wow.. pours the colour a little darker than Schnieder Original .. Kinda of a orange brown. The head is Amazing and just wont die.. I poured the beer and walked away for 5 minutes to take a phone call and it still looked like a scoop of Ice Cream on top.. Smell is less smoky than its bretheren. Bacon and Pork smoke but not as heavy as the Martzen. The taste is smooth with smoke up front, then a bit of banana, clove and then the back end of smoke. This beer would be amazing with brats and onions. Buy several drink and cook your brats in this.. Much easier drinking than the Martzen, but thats not dissing the Martzen. A great smoked beer!!!!

TinusTime, Jul 15, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours out brown and sits deep red-brown in the glass with a small off-white head that fades fast to the sides.

Smell is hickory smoked, very, very smoky. Malty sweetness and dark sugars reside behind the thick, oily smoke aroma.

Still tasting the smoke, but is bitter up front. Malty sweetness follows close behind. Finishes with an oily smoke residue and bitterness to keep it there.

Crisp in the mouth with biting bitterness and oily remnants left behind. Strange but good. A fine smoke beer, works as a sipper or with a hearty meal.

Skidz, Jun 29, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer poured with a very thick head. It had the aroma of a crisp wheat beer underneath a very powerful smokiness. It was a nice amber color, looked very drinkable.

The taste was very crisp and light, which surprised me for a rauchbier. There was a heavy wood smoke flavor that lingered for quite a long time. Perhaps a little too long for my taste.

Overall it was a nice rauchbier, but a little too heavy-handed on the smokiness. I preferred their Urbock.

connecticutpoet, Jun 16, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Brown in hue with a tawny-amber-gold highlight, fairly hazy but animation racing towards the head is noticeable. Speaking of head, it was massive like a typical Weizen, this is always a lovely sight, it was not as rocky as a Hefe and the head retention was not as good as most good Weizens. It quickly faded to a bubbly cap that was about a ¼” in height. This cap lasted the entire consumption, impressive. There was no subsequent lacing however, disappointing. The nose has good potency. I wanted it louder but I’m greedy. The smoky aromas launch the nose in a direction far from a typical Weizen, as expected. I have grown to love the bouquet of Rauchbier, oh the sausages, campfires, smoked bacon or is that ham? I just love the smoky, fatty, meaty smell. Maybe I am being susceptible but I think I got a whiff of banana. No, I do smell banana. The bouquet is quite inviting and well-rounded. Maybe it is just a little too soft but it is a wheat beer after all. Regardless, it is drinking time! The nose is a bloody liar! Bastard. Okay, that is a bit harsh. The palate is more indicative of what I was expecting with a Rauchbier-Weizen. Indeed the palate has the beechwood, smoky flavors but they are just lighter in flavor (especially in comparison to the smell), I detected the sausages and ham cooking on a smoldering campfire. Lovely. But the Weizen aspects are also detectable, mainly at the finish. This is when the cloves and bananas kick in. Yummy! The aftertaste opens up even more, lemons and wheat flavors really elevate this beer but the charred wood is never far behind. The palate is far less powerful than I as expecting and in this case that is a good thing. This is beautifully crafted; it is very flavorful but amazingly refreshing. The mouthfeel is also seduced by the wheat influences, it is smooth and a bit silky on the tongue, the carbonation is tickle too small, and the bulk is around medium/medium-light. The mouthfeel is very satisfying, it is much smaller than I was expecting but, yet again, I was pleasantly surprised! It is also amazingly drinkable. This might be my new go-to Weizen! Yeah right, like this is available in Nebraska! I bought a bottle in Iowa City. I will get more, either in KC or Iowa City. Rauchbier … I am in love!

bditty187, Jun 08, 2004
3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Very interesting style. I prefer their Urbock, but this one is worth sampling, as well. The appearance is an odd, muddy water, hazed iced tea body. One finger, beige head gives way to moderate patches of lace all over the glass. Brown sediment particles show up in the bottom of the glass.

Aroma features the trademark, maple smoked bacon, or ham. Some wheat notes of banana and lemon are barely noticed.

Moutfeel is spirited and well carbonated. The charcoal smokiness is immediately noted.

The taste features the prominent wood cured bacon, or ham, with a hint of maple syrup. This has a saltiness that lasts all the way through, again suggesting a smoke cured, American southern country ham. The wheat notes are faint, and are overwhelmed by the campfire smoke. Some mild lemon and orangepeel are noted in the background.

A very unusual style that I like, from time to time. Not an every day bier, but one that is worth sampling for its historical background. The brewery website is very well done, and informs about the origins and character of these interesting Rauchbiers.

merlin48, Jun 06, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

What a find and I’m so excited to try this. Dark copper color with smallish head. So yeah it’s not as full bodied as the other Schlenkerla beer I’ve had "Marzen", this one blows away my expectations. I just love the smokey bacon taste of this. Slight taste of babanas that I didn’t expect to find and a bit lighter that the other. I cannot describe this to someone that doesn’t care for smoke except to say "it’s like licking the inside of a chimney that burned white ash". I’m glad they make it, because I like it.

Eyedrinkale, May 24, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

The beer came in a 0.5 liter brown stubby bottle, which feels extremely authentic as a result of a 100% German label written in gothic lettering. When poured into a lager glass, the wonderful smoke aroma hits you at an arm's length. Underneath it there are faint notes of bananas and cloves, and a bit of orange peel. It is a very handsome beer with a burnt amber cloudy appearance, topped off with a tall white lasting head and generous lacing worthy of its weizen heritage. The taste is a balance of fruity esters (bananas, lemons, orange peel) and herbs (cloves, coriander) mixed with a smoky dryness. The smoked malt is a bit harsh on the palette, and the beer lacks enough body to temper the rough edges in this department. A very nice smoky detour from the ordinary beers, and a nostalgic look at what beers might have tasted like prior to the industrial revolution taking over the malting process.

rajendra82, May 23, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a rich, dark-yet-translucent copper with a light tan head of about a 1/4 inch. Smell is very smoky. Salted, smoked pork aromas with a light wheat malt sweetness.

Taste is smoky but not as overwhelming as you would expect from the smell. Hickory smoke offset by a sweet maltiness eminating from the wheat. Lightly salty and a bit sour, especially in the finish. A lightly bitter smokiness in the finish also. Pretty damn drinkable for rauchbier, much less overpowering than their marzen for example. A must try if you can find it.

ViveLaChouffe, May 21, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a cloudy dark amber with an off white foamy head. There seemed to be a big amount of carbonation from the bottom of the glass. The head stayed for almost the duration of the beer, and there was a fair amount of lace on the glass. The smells was a wonderfully oaky, smoke smell that was not overwhelming but actually quite pleasant. I continuously smelled this beer as I drank it. Taste was slightly sour, with hints of smoke at the end. Wow! It may sound strange, but this works. Body was thin to medium and there was a good amount of carbonation. I am not sure if this is very drinkable, but I would certainly have it again perhaps with some type of sausage.

Bierguy5, May 18, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky brown hue with a thin white head quickly becoming a ring. Typical intense Heller aroma, roasted pork and tons of smoked ham, sweet maple syrup, campfire, just rich malt altogether and intense smokiness. It somehow reminds Vermont maple smoked cheddars which is no little task. Taste is actually quite wheaty and fruity (banana, lemon) so it’s actually pretty well made since it was clearly the intention, but I don’t really enjoy the atmosphere created from wheaty dusty tartness mixed with the big smokiness. Medium bodied, very carbonated. Far from as interesting as the other 2.

Rastacouere, May 13, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours out to a murky dark-amber, much darker than one would expect for a "weizen", owing to it's judicious use of smoked malt. Forms a rocky beige head which offers little retention and no lacing. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is nice..."Ham beer"...like week-old ham and indescript beer. No discernable hop/clove/banana/malt aroma...just lots of smoke. Mouthfeel is spritzy with a medium-light body, just like I would expect for a weizen. Taste is quite interesting....initially spicy with some cloves (gasp!), followed by a bright carbonic acidity, light wheat malts, very mild hop bitterness, a suggestion of metal and a short-lived ruddiness towards the finish. The middle has an odd metallic sourness, akin to chewing on aluminum foil. My mouth feels as though I just had a cigarette.. Smoke is strong throughout, but it does not overwhelm the wiezen characteristics and compliments them quite nicely. Very interesting, and actually quite drinkable. Very odd buzz...Mulder is that you?

If you like Lapsang Souchong, give this a try. A unique experience, but a brew I would rarely drink unless I lived in Bamburg. This would make a great sauce, and go well with nachtwurst and coleslaw.

Mitchster, Apr 14, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

i loved the urbock, so why not the weizen? this pours out hazy, dark...somewhat murky. big fat weizen style head that was extremely rocky. right on. the nose of course is very smoky, though not as intense as the urbock...think canadian bacon, grilled hamsteaks etc. in the mouth its slightly heavier than your typical weizen, though it is crisp and full of carbonation. in the taste department your looking at a very light malt, the wheat flavor is minimal but seems to cut down on the smoked flavors. balanced. light spices here and there and it all rounds out to be a very drinkable, outstanding smoke beer/weizen/anything. a milder rauch that still satisfies this smoke addict.

$2.99 a bottle

DESTRO, Apr 11, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Well, if you like ham in a bottle, this beer is for you. This is my first experience with a smoked beer that actually tastes like smoke. I've tried a couple others, but none have tasted like this.

The nose is very smoky, very much reminiscent of smoked ham. Just a touch of wheatiness in the nose. The taste is also quite smoky, with a good bit of wheaty sourness lurking in the background; finishes with a light sweetness. The smoke is offset nicely by the wheat, but I think, following a previous reviewer's suggestion, that a bit more heft to this beer, some more munich malt maybe, would really be good. A little too light for all this smoke. Overall, its an interesting beer, but I wouldn't have more than one.

I also have to say that this brewer's website is first rate. Great info on all aspects of beer production, especially the production of smoked malt. Also great pics of their products.

cerevisiaephilus, Apr 01, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Brownish color on a thick head. The smell is smoky, but less than for the Marzen by the same brewery. The taste is clearly cut in two halfs: smoke on one side, smoked bacon, or something like that; wheat on the other side. Hops aren't noticeable. The beer, although it is less smoky than the Marzen, is still interesting, and more refeshing. Leaves a clean dry feeling on the palate. Nice, but less extravagant than the Marzen...

tjd25, Mar 28, 2004
3.9/5  rDev 0%

The smoke is intense, though noticeably less than the marzen or urbock. It is a ruby brown with a big head. It has a sweet, smokey aroma with some fruit in the nose. The body is crisp and relatively light and then the smoke hits you. It finishes fairly clean with some lingering smokiness. I love this with ham.

ark57, Mar 17, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

16.9oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass. It pours a murky dark brown color with three fingers of head. There is quite a bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is fairly smoky, but also has hints of wheat malt and fruit. Maybe a hint of cloves in there as well. The taste is also very smoky, but not overly strong. Very malty and like smoked gouda going across the tongue. A little bit of esters and a slight clove flavor from the yeast as well. Almost no trace of hops. The body is fairly thick and heavy, good for a weizen. The drinkability also fairs well. A very very unique wheat beer.

SheepNutz, Mar 03, 2004
3.9/5  rDev 0%

Holy Smokes! My first "real" rauchbier and I really enjoyed it. I am very interested in the Smoked Wheat style and had been wanting to try this one for awhile. Spotted this in the cooler at the Falling Rock and snagged it right up.

Poured a clear ruby red with a large frothy white head. Lacing was very solid.

The aroma was pretty intense. Mainly smoky scents but also a pretty high malt presense. Couldn't smell much wheat...

Before I took a sip I had a little lick of the head and it was smoky. Unlike anything I had ever had before. Tasted of burnt wood, caramel, clove and tobacco.

After I finished the beer there was a lingering aftertaste in my mouth like I just had a huge dip. It was quite enjoyable.

Crosling, Feb 09, 2004