Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 686 | Reviews: 409
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

A -Muddy water brown. Lots of carbonation. Only a trace of head.
S-That freshly cooked bacon is there along with a dash of Liquid Smoke.
T- The smoke/bacon taste doesn't hit until the aftertaste, and then it wont go away. When I first sip it I get a metallic taste until the bacon takes over.
M- Very light lager feel to it which is surprising considering the taste.
O- Not my style but I think I could have one every once in a while.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Hey I'll admit up front this is the first smoke beer I'd ever tried and although reading gives a hint what to expect it really doesn't prepare you for the experience or make it any easier to enjoy.

Poured an earthy raw umber in color which I thought unique. Starts with a big 2" head which settles down to 1/4" in time. I was genuinely surprised that the intensity of the smell was not as pronounced in the taste. With the bouquet I get not just the bacon and smoked meats and cheeses others reference but also sort of that lit "puck" smell you get during 4th of July firework play. Do you know what I mean by puck? Those 10" sticks dipped in something flammable, kind of lookin like elongated corn dogs? Ha. Anyway this beer kind of smells like something your mom would yell at you for if she caught you putting it in your mouth. Sorry, just being honest. Anyway, it's a wheat beer and that's pretty much the taste with just subdued notes of the bouquet in the taste itself. And I thought it a touch sour.

Look either you love or you hate something like this. Can't say I love it. I respect it, I recognize it's intensities are unique and thus in their own way gourmet. Can't say all I want to drink is smoke beer after this. In fact I think I'll wait quite a while before I try another one.

3.49/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Smoked Weissbier you say? I'm game. As a weissbier connoisseur, I was curious to try this variation. Would it be like a dunkles weissbier or a thing of its own making. Pour dark, muddy coffee dark in a Weihenstephaner Weissbier glass. Average head that dissipates to nothing after a few minutes. Smell is wonderful aroma of warm smoked meat & leather. Taste follows the smell as smoked malt followed by the tart cloves and a touch of sweetness. Mouthfeel is unexpectedly light and carbonation is weak and this is where this beer comes up short. It's a nice change of pace from a weissbier or dunkles weissbier but I'd think twice before paying $5/bottle for another one.

3.49/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a bronze colour, thin snowy head, dissipating quickly with a steady, firm bead that commands with authority. Very light-to-no lacing. Cute colour, but otherwise unastounding.

Delicious meaty smoke, deep and hearty with a juicy, fat richness to it, like a can of Thick and Chunky soup. Behind the smoke is a peep from some dark, plummy berries. But after a couple of sniffs the smoke just takes over. Very nice.

Very acrid smoke on the palate, kind of sour with an off-fruit aftertaste following the charcoaly flavour. Kind of fizzy mouthfeel which is a bit of a turn-off, but it's otherwise really nice with a lot of smokey meaty flavours. Actually the palate is a bit short, and the flavour isn't as powerful as the smell, which I can whiff from half a metre away. I'm not familiar enough with the rauch style to diagnose what's wrong with the palate, but I just think it errs a little too bit on the side of drinkability, instead of going for the knockout punch.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

Poured out of a 16.9 oz brown bottle into a stein glass. No freshness date that I can see.

Appearance: Rich, chocolatey color with hazelnut edges. As it pours out of the bottle, the cascading liquid reminds me a bit of apple cider. Beige foam with a smattering of larger bubbles, but mostly microbubbles. Retention is light. The bottom of the bottle has heavy sedimentation.

Smell - Applewood, wood fire, chicory and general spiciness. Hints of bready, yeasty aroma in the background that takes the edge off the smokey smell.

Taste - More wood fire, some hints of smoked pork and a finish of malty sweetness. The taste is pleasant up front, but long after you've swallowed your drink, it lingers in a way that doesn't entice the next drink. I really think this is a beer that needs to be paired with food.

Mouthfeel - Mostly crisp and bright in spite of the smokiness throughout the beer's profile. Like with the taste however, after the sip is gone, there is a somewhat unpleasant feel, almost like you feel after you've been out around a campfire for a couple of hours.

Overall, a beer that strikes me as well-balanced and incredibly unique. However, I need to try it again with a food pairing. The beer on it's own was just a little too intense for me.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

10/8/2005 $3.79 1 pint 9 oz 5.20% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a hazier darker brown than its Marzen counterpart, with amber undertones. Still possesses the tight tan head (roughly an inch deep) that the Marzen illustrated.

Aroma:

Smoked sensation, but not of the pork variety this time. Resembles lox in the aroma, with a very salty, ocean feel to it.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Slightly course in the mouth, with the smoky sensation one would expect coupled with a weissbier flavor that is oddly drying on the tongue. Not nearly as flavorful or enjoyable as the Marzen.

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pilsner with Ba buddy pleepleus.

Poured dark brown getting slightly lighter towards the bottom with a two inch tannish white foam head. The smell was pure bacon including the smoke and the salt. With a slight hint of soap. The taste was right on par with the smell which was big bacon and smoke flavors. Finished with a slight hint of malt. Overall a medium bodied beer with a slightly oily mouthfeel leaving behind a spicy feel. Not my preference when it comes to beer but interesting and a good rep for this style. Glad I tried it but wouldnt go out of my way for it again.

3.46/5  rDev -11.5%

I split this beer with zep9865. The beer poured a dark, dark raisin brown in color with a two finger beige colored head. It is incredibly murky and really doesn't let any light pass through it. There is also a moderate amount of sediment on the bottom. It certainly wasn't what I expected. The aroma is really only of smoked malt but it isn't nearly as smoky as their other beers. And when smoke is the main aroma, you can't really pick up anything else. The flavor, interestingly enough is of both mild yeast and lightly smoked malt. It's interesting because you get a slight, watered down ham flavor paired with the flavor of bread after it's been dipped in pea soup. It's interesting to say the least. And the more I think about it, the more I get that pea soup flavor. It drinks alright but it's nothing overly appealing. It's just kind of an odd pairing. I just can't like this one as much as their others but it's an interesting try.

3.46/5  rDev -11.5%

Deep, clear, dark woody-amber color with a tangerine tint to it. Unimpressive lid of dirty white coloring.

The nose is excellent. Exceptionally sweet smokiness with some tangy fruitiness that is akin to red wine or vinegar. Sort of like a flanders red in away and definitely unique and appealing.

The flavor is much drier and less sweet than I figured. It's lightly roasted and nutty with a hint of caramel sweetness to it, and that same tangy red wine/vinegar fruitiness. Smokey smoke overtone neither hides, nor dominates but is definitely present. Lightish body with a slight acidic quality to it and unspectacular feeling carb.

Love the smell, flavor was pretty good but left me wishing there was a bit more to it. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but the feel to this one was pretty lame.

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

Pour is a cloudy medium brown, with a huge white head that leaves sheets of lace. Aroma is smoked meat (bacon, ham, salami) with some banana mixed in. Flavor is of bacon wrapped banana, with the banana becoming a bit more prominent towards the end. Body is medium, with some pretty strong carbonation.

3.43/5  rDev -12.3%

.5L, Germany, best by 4/11.

Pours a cloudy mahogany with sunburst highlights. Head is creamy, clumpy and epic, with some serious staying power. What a beautiful beer.

Aroma is smokey, wheaty and woody. My friend put it perfectly when he said it smells like a "summer bonfire."

Flavor doesn't work for me, unfortunately. This is essentially a "Rauch-dunkelweizen" and the flavor profiles of these styles don't harmonize very well. The Weizen flavors of clove and spice create a very astringent, medicinal beer when combined with the intense smokiness. The toasty, lightly chocolatey malts make this a complex beer, but I don't think it works in the end. This is also probably the driest wheat beer I've had. The mouthfeel is still excellent: fluffy, creamy and light, with superfine carbonation. As far as drinkability goes, this is not a drain pour, but it's kind of disappointing.

If all I could do with this beer were look at it and smell it, then I would give it high marks. Alas, I had to drink it, and it didn't really impress me as much as the other Schlenkerla beers.

3.42/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a cloudy dark amber with an off white foamy head. There seemed to be a big amount of carbonation from the bottom of the glass. The head stayed for almost the duration of the beer, and there was a fair amount of lace on the glass. The smells was a wonderfully oaky, smoke smell that was not overwhelming but actually quite pleasant. I continuously smelled this beer as I drank it. Taste was slightly sour, with hints of smoke at the end. Wow! It may sound strange, but this works. Body was thin to medium and there was a good amount of carbonation. I am not sure if this is very drinkable, but I would certainly have it again perhaps with some type of sausage.

3.42/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours clear dark brown with a big off-white head. Visible carbonation. Aroma is all powerful spicy wood smoke. Taste is smoke at first. Then some sweet toasted malt. Then finally a big burst of smoke again. Smokey and just slightly bitter aftertaste. Light to medium bodied. Not something I'd want to drink a lot of. The smoke character is maybe a little to strong for me. Although that's clearly the intent here. This is certainly solid for what it is, just not a personal favorite.

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Gaffel Kolsch stange glass.

Big carbonation as expected for a weizen, head is really sticking around here and is large. Big time large. Off brown white. Body is cloudy dark brown amber truly opaque and kind of muddy looking which sort of doesn't look that too appealing. Some visible carbonation from the bottom too.

Classic rauchbier smoke, but also a sour tinge in the back. Not as salty as others too. Smoke is also a bit tame compared to others, but still gives that smoked meat(s) feeling.

Taste is too carbonated and fizzy for my liking. Gaseous and prickly taking away from the smoke taste, also goes to carbon dioxide dominant a little bit.

This is okay, bit it's not really I think very enjoyable, it's a tad small for smell and classic rauchbier taste, but it doesn't even have classic wheat beer properties or flavor or even body. It's almost as if the two don't work together and cancel out properties that make both of them great. I'll pass.

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%

Well, if you like ham in a bottle, this beer is for you. This is my first experience with a smoked beer that actually tastes like smoke. I've tried a couple others, but none have tasted like this.

The nose is very smoky, very much reminiscent of smoked ham. Just a touch of wheatiness in the nose. The taste is also quite smoky, with a good bit of wheaty sourness lurking in the background; finishes with a light sweetness. The smoke is offset nicely by the wheat, but I think, following a previous reviewer's suggestion, that a bit more heft to this beer, some more munich malt maybe, would really be good. A little too light for all this smoke. Overall, its an interesting beer, but I wouldn't have more than one.

I also have to say that this brewer's website is first rate. Great info on all aspects of beer production, especially the production of smoked malt. Also great pics of their products.

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

500 ml. bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a copper amber with a bit of haze and with a decent cap of foam. Offers firm retention and more so lacing through the pint.

Aroma is intriguing as wheat and smoke combine. Smoked notes are less than otherwise experienced with this brewery, yet matching the style within a style rather well.

Flavor has wheat and citrus up front, finishing with a good dose of smoked malts on the finish. Overall I would say that this style of beer is a bit less conducive to the smoked malts vs. the other offerings by the brewery. The wheat/banana and smokiness don't clash per se, yet they aren't the natural mates that smoke and doppel might be for example.

Overall an interesting Weizen but still an average Rauchbier. Or at least an average style to attack with smoke.

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

A - Pours a clear, dark copper with a creamy, rocky head.

S - Smokey - kind of like a bbq.

T/M - Slightly tart up front. Smoke flavour is not as pronounced as the marzen. Slight wateriness in the mouthfeel is not great. Mild hop bitterness and a hint of citrus. Definitely smoked flavour but lacking in any wheatiness.

D - Seems too light, and lacking in flavour somewhat, with the marzen version for comparison. Smoke is mostly in the aroma.

3.34/5  rDev -14.6%

First Rauchbier I've tasted.

Pours a deep amber with a big pillowy head.

Smell is hickory grilled Kielbasa. Smoked sausage. Hickory Farms run through a power juicer.

Taste is very meaty. Little bits of sweetness on the tip of the tongue. I don't get much wheat flavor in this beer.

mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected. More of an amber ale consistency. Quick finishing. Easier to drink than I'd think.

Drinkability: Getting beyond the flavor, Drinkability is very high. It's light and refreshing consistency with a heavy unique flavor. It's doubtful that I'll be seeking this style again though.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Had a bottle at dba in New York.

Pours a cloudy, amber color. Topped by a beige film of a head. There may be a light fruitiness peaking out from underneath the overpowering smokiness.

Smoke, smoke, smoke that moves into a fruity sweetness. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

I like smoky beers, and this one certainly delivers, but it's a way too smoky to do anything other than sample.

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%

Nice deep red mahogany colored pour. Greyish head that holds in the glass quite nicely. The nose is amazing, the smoked malt yeilds smoky peat moss aromas. It smells like a good Islay Scotch whiskey. The taste is just smoky and sour. There is not much else happening. The beer does not have good balance. The deep smoke flavors of the malt are diminished by a sourness which takes over. Alone the sourness of the beer is too overwhelming for me, introduce some food with it it becomes less tart and more drinkable.

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%

This beer pours as a cloudy looking yellowish gold color with a thin white head. The smell was obviously smokey with some light wheat aromas in there. The taste was smoked as well but the wheat seemed to mute the strength of it. The mouthfeel is lighter than the other Rauch's this brewery puts out. Overall it's a decent brew but the smoked brews aren't really my thing.

3.31/5  rDev -15.3%

Thought this would make a good rainy day beer.

Dull golden brown with an eggshell tan head. Thin film of retention doesn't leave much in the way of lace.

Aroma is nostalgic campfire smoke, hay and some mild wheat beer fruitiness (misc. golden fruits). Tastes like smoke and I think golden squash and tortilla chips? The smoked flavor doesn't exactly live up to the smoked aroma - it's there alright but not as strong. The wheat beer doesn't do much but lay there like a starfish. I would have liked to seen more exaggerated German wheat characteristics like banana and clove to play up the rauch malt.

Not sure if this is an old bottle. I'd like to try it on tap to verify.

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

It pours a surprisingly thin-looking opaque brown. It's thin enough that it should be transparent, but so dark that it almost isn't. It's not REALLY opaque, just...translucent. You can sort of see through it.
It's a pretty straightforward beer. It smells like burnt birch branches and it tastes like beef jerky encrusted with barbecue flavoured potato chips. This a beer style all its own. So unique, in fact, that the characteristic flavour profiles dominate to the extent that it's really difficult for anything to come through that reminds us this is beer. It could just be some sort of beef jerky flavoured soda or maybe fermented, diluted barbecue sauce. That said, it's not bad, really. It's probably an acquired taste for most. My chief complaint is that it's not thicker. For something this robust, my palette demands that it be thicker. If it tastes like I'm eating wood-smoked meat, I don't want it to feel like I'm drinking water. You know? I crave the consistency of a stout or at least a doppelbock when I'm drinking this. I also wish some maltiness could come through to complement the smoked meat flavour. It's got a really basic flavour to how dominant that smokiness is. I know that's just the way this style is meant to be, though, so I shouldn't really be applying that to my criticism of this specific example. I really do hope I come across a version of this that's got a thicker mouthfeel one day, though. That'd be pretty great.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

(Sinister laugh) I have now sampled every brought-to-this country beer from this brewery. This makes my wife happy. She’s not exactly down with the Rauch.

Appearance is a darkened ruby, with Belgian-aspiring huge head and patchy cling.

Nose is smoke – surprise – and cloves pop through much stronger than I had expected. Beechwood is strong and unrelenting. Sugars come through later. Smoke and banana/clove…doesn’t seem like it could work but it does.

But it doesn’t exactly work on the tastebuds. Hickory smoke all over the front end, embers and coal tar. Sweet malt / clove / banana outro. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet.

MF is clean and smooth with peat memories.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

After being on a Smoke Beer kick lately, I decided to try this Smoked Weizen. Pours, of course, brown with good head retention. Imediate aromas of smoke fills the area. At closer, detectable notes of pork (almost bacon like). Tastes like country ham. Sweet and mildly salty. Good malt base. The wheat goes mostly undetected, but does add in the viscocity and consistency of the beer. Creamy without thickening. In fact, the thinnest of the three Acht Rauchbiers. Although this one is nice, it's not as firm or bold as the Urbock or Marzen. Still good--like drinking a camp fire.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla