Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -30%

This one forms a nice firm head, no lacing surprisingly and has a very lively body. It certainly looks a lot like a dark hef.

Sweet almost artificially sweetened smoke. The wheat elements are certainly showing.

I expected something so different….my first taste of this was some head that was over powering and it had some good sweet creamy hef like qualities with smoke tones. The first sip of the actual beer is rather odd. Smoke is suble but very present. The malt has a sour like flavor that I’ve gotten in some less enjoyable dark hefs but no cloves or bananas or strong sweet elements. Instead there is some kind of smoked meat (ham?) mixed with a sour malt.

The body on this one is awful. It is just so thin so weak and the carbonation isn’t that creamy hef carbonation or even a good pale ale, but instead it is sharp and bites the tongue. It has the kind of carbonation that makes you burp and I frankly can’t think of a worse quality in a beer.

It seems this style is much like bourbon barrel ales. It isn’t a style as much as a finishing element, but because of tradition it has a style. I like the smoke flavors, but some element of this process isn’t working with the hef. I really think there is potential for these two to mesh, but either a touch less smoke or a touch more malt is needed to get things going in the right direction.

bobhits, Nov 02, 2011

deadliest, Jun 04, 2013

fisherbray, Apr 20, 2012

harpus, Mar 20, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

Muddy colour, typical of a dunkel weizen, with foam not very compact and persistent, for a weizen beer. The smell is smoke, smoke and smoke. The smoked flavour of a "scamorza" (italian smoked cheese). Smoke of green wood. The typical flavour of a weizen is still present, even if a little difficult to feel in the abundancy of the smoke. At the taste the smoke is less predominant, and the weizen feeling is more perceptible, with a little of citric (lime). Aftertaste of smoke (ma va?)Unbalanced.

stcules, May 29, 2003
2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

A-pours a murky brown that strangley appears kind of light paleness to it with an enourmous white head
S-huge smokiness with a tobaccco flavor with a slight malt sent in the background
T-a strong smokeyness with a grilled meat flavor and tabacco tanginess a little bit of malt hangs around in the background but is well hidden after an initial bbq blast, definitely an aquired tase not much of a fan
M-rather heavy body with very little carbonation and definately a careful sipper
D-overall very non drinkable besides the acquired taste the heavy body it was presents a huge problem in drinking more than one the wheat is apparent but does very little in this beer

joshstevens87, Dec 27, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

The aroma is something you either hate or love and I love it. It is very unique. The appearance is a reddish brown and the head is large. The flavor is well balanced. It has a sweet maltiness to go along with the bitter and smoke flavor. There is also a tang in there. The palate is thin. Overall it's smokey and it's not my style but it's interesting none the less.

nick76, Nov 12, 2008
2.94/5  rDev -24.6%

Bottle: solid brown 500mL bottle, nice German label.

Appearance: a clear beer, dirt-brown in colour with limited carbonation. A frothy head pops up and disappears entirely within the first ten seconds.

Aroma: very interesting - some sweet-smelling smoke. Certainly not something I am used to. Hopefully this one agrees with me more than the Rauchbier Urboch.

Taste: far better than the Urboch, but only so far as it doesn't turn my face inside out. I'm struggling to get anything other than the smoke in this - no wheat flavours at all. If anything, a touch of cured meats also.

Aftertaste: the strong meat and smoke flavours become a bit more demure in the aftertaste. Settles to a camping wood-fire flavour. A really bizarre flavour.

Mouth feel: medium in body with a moderate carbonation to carry the flavour across. The feel seems to be pretty good.

Overall: I'm still getting used to rauchbiers, and this one seems an awful lot more drinkable than the Urboch. I think I'll have to have quite a few more of these before I allow myself to pass any kind of judgement on them.

SmashPants, Mar 10, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -24.4%

First Rauchbier...

A - Poured out a brownish orange color with a bubbly, off-white, two-finger head. Left some lace.

S - Smelled like a campfire or BBQ grill. Very smoky and some leathery aromas, too.

T - It reminded me of a baked ham or hickory smoked bacon. Very smoky tasting with some sweet underlying malts. Almost tasted like how a campfire smells.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A medium to heavy-bodied beer.

D - I rate the drinkablility low because it tasted too much like food and not like a beer. Seriously, six hours later I burped and tasted smoked bacon. Not pleasant.

zeff80, Sep 18, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

I am going to retry this beer and give it another shot, but I would like to say that I had the hardest time finishing this beer.

Beer served in a hefeweizen glass from a bottle. Beer is dark / black brown. Head is large and steady. Can't tell the carbonation. It looks good, lets keep going.

Smell is overwhelming. Hickory and smoke. VERY STRONG SMELL. I don't have to lift the glass to my face to smell it. Knocks me over. What is this going to taste like? Burnt wood?

I coughed. Seriously, I felt like I was suffocating. Beer is medium bodied. No sweetness I can detect up front, just the smoke in the back.

I feel like I'm exhaling smoke after I swallow. Maybe this is the point. The most dominant flavor is smoke, the second most is smoke, followed closely by the strong aftertaste of smoke. I had to drink another beer to get the smoke flavor out of my mouth.

I'll try the other and maybe this one again since I'm clearly in the minority on this one. SMOKE!

drabmuh, Nov 13, 2009

panamaniac, Jun 09, 2012

jojohaaa, Jul 08, 2014

pipinmalikonj, Nov 21, 2013

Dyerseve, Jun 01, 2012

I'm suprised that some others tasted anything other than the smoke. More overwhelming than I would have thought. I actually bought this thinking it was a regular hefe (although I knew they made the Rauchbier). After a hefe like pour (albeit a dark one) nothing but smoke, smoke, smoke. I liked smoked food, and I would like to try this with a smoked sausage or something. Beyond that, I could think of no other reason to have this again.

JohnnyDuvel, Aug 05, 2004