Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 645 | Reviews: 393

A light brown with a disappearing head. The smell of this beer is strong smoke at first but like with many smells after a while your nose gets used to it and that is when you can start to pick up some of the malt coming through. The flavor is pretty damn smoky not quite campfire in a bottle and not harsh. It is a little bacon-y but once you adjust it loses most of the meatyness. It has some good shoulders on this beer and is light yet solid.

If you are going to drink this beer eat something with it. If you really want to focus on the smoke, I would suggest some triscuits and a neutral cheese, I had provolone. It is drinkable and I would say a good starting place for smoked beer as some others are way more intense.

Pours a murky light brown with a thick white head. Smells Like a smoky wheat beer with clove dominating the wheat. I have to admit that at first the smell seemed intense,this has been a totally different beer experience for me. I have never tasted a beer quite like this. Truly an enjoyable beer. Strong flavors, and intense smokiness. One hearty beer.

A - This beer pours a clear copper color with ruby highlights, and it has a big fluffy 3-finger off-white head. The head has good retention, and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. There are also some rising carbonation bubbles visible.

S - It smells of smoked deli meats and wheat. The smokiness is very present, but not overwhelming. There is also some hop presence and earthiness as well.

T - This has a nice toasted malt and wheat background. There is a smokiness, but it is not as pronounced as in their other beers. There are nice notes of smoked meats, some banana, and some hops. The finish leaves some lingering wheat and smokiness.

M - This has a medium body and smooth carbonation. It goes down smooth, and it has a creamy feel to it. There is a lingering smokiness.

O - There is good drinkability here. It goes down easy and tastes great. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. It is less smokey than the others I have had, but I think it is a great more mild take on the style. I recommend giving this a try, and I look forward to having this again.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

Quite a beer. Although its not my favorite, it has to be one of the most distinctive tastes that I've ever experienced. Pours with a hazy brown color with a nominal head, although if you leave it sitting for a while it will continue to rise. The smell is probably the best part, or at least the most interesting. It literally smells like if you were to taste the smoke effervescing off a rack of ribs off the grill. Amazing. The taste is similar, although its mostly like tasting the baconfat off of said ribs (they're pork ribs, I forgot to mention). Really a beer worth seeking out, just to try it.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Out of their big 3 Rauchbier's, this particular one was last on my list that I wanted to try, but the only one actually in stock, so here goes:

Muddy, copper/brown in color, very light tan 2-3 finger head. Head is sticking around for the long haul, so looks like I'm not waiting before sipping.

Very smoky and woody. There's some faint citrus and graininess in the back...maybe not faint, but the smoke is rather pronounced and may be hindering the other aromas. That seems to be a common theme among smoked beers, so it must just come with the territory. I like it though.

The smoke isn't too strong in the taste, and there's a lot going on with it. Hits nicely at the start, and remnants of it follow through out the taste. A nice citrus, banana bread, yeasty graininess presents itself after the smoke, and it's hugely pleasant. I was apprehensive about a smoked wheat, but the both actually compliment themselves quite well. The finish is smoky and a bit lingering.

The feel is smooth, lightly crisp, light-medium in body and a mildly creamy texture.

Wonderfully smoky, surprisingly nice combo with the wheat, but more than one of these treats could wreak havoc on the senses. Definitely worthy to try if you see it! Hope to try the Urbock and Maerzen next time it's in stock...

After many minutes, and nearly half way through, the heads still kickin' it. Stellar retention!

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Deep cloudy 'Chill Hazed' brown, large frothy beige head and decent lace to coat the glass. Smokey, malt laden, earthy, a quite 'Sniffable' brew. Front is malt and slightly sweet, the top thin, the finish is acidic, dry, moderate to light carbonation. Very lightly hopped, but the smoky, peat like characteristics carry through to the end. A different beer and something worth the try, for you 'Dark' lovers.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: nut brown, creamy white head that forms a skim coat

Smell: smoky (obviously), very much like smoked pork: greasy and slightly metallic; some noble hops are evident but not prominant; tinny and some very faint fruity esters

Taste: predominantly smoky, with the same sort of tinny metallic character as in the nose; no bitterness, omly smoke

Mouthfeel: medium body, perhaps a little on the lighter side; little apparent carbonation; kind of flat and a little watery

This si the marzen's little brother. Not as agressive with the smoke, more subtle in every regard.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bottle into my trusty Troegs pint glass.

Pours a dark, translucent brown with yellowy edges. Pretty hard to see through. There's a FAT 2+ inch head as it collects in the glass, I had to wait a few moments for it to recede to pour more. The lacing is sticky and fluffy at the same time. Quite the looker, this beer.

The smell... oh God the smell. This needs its own paragraph, because I have no idea where to begin with this. It is absolutely like no other beer I've smelled before. I'm getting aromas of smoked pork and sausages over an open wood fire. This smell definitely belongs in a delicatessen or a butcher shop or something, not a beer! Absolutely crazy. I can detect just a hint of that weizen malt given a few deep sniffs, but it's very well hidden behind all that smokiness.

I thought I was prepared for the taste, but just... damn. Smoky meats with just a bit of a charred flavor... how does something like this get into a beer? As I'm marveling at this remarkable feat of brewmastery, the subtle malty backbone appears, reminding me that I'm drinking a weizen-style beer. Wheat and yeastiness are subdued, but definitely present as they round out the back end. I get just a subtle hint of weizen banana and fruit flavor as the brew rides down smooth. The minimal aftertaste doesn't have any more wheat for me, however, instead being full of smoked meat. Hops are undetectable, and there is no bitterness. Just a slight bit of astringency from the wheat. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a subtle weizen chewiness. Finishes smooth and dry.

After getting past the initial sensory overload, I found this beer to be quite the quaffable brew. I picked a weizen-esque rauchbier for my first experience into the style and I'm glad I did, because I'm able to latch onto that something I like and compare and contrast it with the extremely unique smokiness. It was certainly an eye-opening drink.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

500ml. Kind of an orangy/tan with a billowing off white head. Almost looks like some Belgian pour

Aroma, smoked beach wood dominates. Smoked pork, grainy malt, some buttery toffee.

Taste, very woody up front, with the smoke as well. I think the clove accentuates the woodiness. Some toffee and a hint of chocolate even. Less meaty than the other versions.

Lighter bodied than the others from Schenkerla, more carbonation as well. Definetely the easiest drinking though. A slightly more refreshing Rauchbier.

Put this one off till last because I assumed it would have more wheat beer characteristics that I don't care for as much. That was a mistake as this easily stands up with the others. Though Urbock is my favorite now.

More similar to some of the Scandanavian smoked beers.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

1pt9floz bottle into mug.

Deep gold, almost brown, slightly hazy hue with a light tan, smooth, one finger thead that oh so slowly settles to a thick cap.

A light hint of smoke that still seems to mask everything else. It seems that a bit of clove sneaks through. The smoke aroma is a little more subtle than in the other variations from this brewery.

A somewhat clean flavor beyond the smokiness. A little bit of tartness is in there. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Not much left in the aftertaste, just a bit of smoke flavor.

It's hard to pinpoint what style this would be if it wasn't a Rachbier. I'm guessing it's a Marzen type beer that uses wheat malt (hence the clean flavor). Rauchbiers are usually lagers, but I wasn't sure if this was maybe a Weizenbock (a hefeweizen, which is an ale, of "bock strength"). Still, it's a delicious beer, and somewhat more refreshing than other beers in the style. This one's certainly a summer/spring beer. Recommended.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours coppery, orange-brown, hazy, with a phenomenal amount of tightly beaded tan head. Good retention and rocky on the surface.

S: maple, bacon-like smoke aroma dominates. Could not detect a weizen-like clove aroma.

T: The bacony, smoky flavor is most prominent in the beginning, with a phenolic clove flavor in the end. Early in consumption the cloviness is mild, but as my palate became accustomed to the smoky flavor, I began to notice it more prominently and more immediately. The smoke balances reasonably well with the weizen-like clove flavor.

M: light like a weizen, although the smoke flavor infers a little heaviness, probably just playing tricks on my mind. The lightness makes it somewhat refreshing for a smoke beer.

D: I was unsure about how the weizen and smoke flavors would combine, but they balanced better than I thought. This would pair well with a smoked sausage or wurst. Quite enjoyable although I still favor the maerzen.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

You either love smoked beers or hate them. I have come to notice, especially with Schlenkerla, that once you have the smoked taste, it is hard to pick out the actual flavor of the beer you are drinking. (Marzen, Wheat, etc.)
I did like the Marzen a bit better but the wheat is much lighter and suitable for summer. Spicy Orange and Clove notes. Would also make a great beer in the Fall.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla