Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a 1/2 liter bottle into a pint glass.

A: It pours a gorgeous reddish-coppery brown, with two fingers of fluffy, creamy, lacy white foam. Terrific head retention and excellent lacing.

S: Bacon. It smells like bacon. Also, faint woodsmoke undertones.

T: It tastes like it smells, predominantly like bacon, with some softer wood smoke tastes mid-palate. There is a perceptible sweet mid-palate malt characteristic that helps to make it taste more like beer, and less like breakfast. They definitely nailed the smoky/savory aspect of this beer, and it seems like a really solid style example.

M: I was a little disappointed with the mouthfeel. it felt too thin and carbonated. I was hoping for something a little smoother, slicker, heavier and/or creamier. The thin mouthfeel seemed mismatched with a flavor profile that is almost entirely smoke and meat.

D: This is definitely not sessionable. Granted, this is not a session style, but even with that in mind, this one would be a chore to have more than one.

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark brown body while it was sitting on the bar - when held to the light you get a nice mahogany color. The head is an off-white color that does not hang around too long. Didn't see much lacing if any.

Smell: Real hickory smoked ham hocks. And then more smoke. I could not go with average. It's not average - it's smoked beer. So, the smell did not make me think weizen beer so, the 2.5.

Taste: SMOKE! I'll have to drink this while I cook up some ribs. Smoked spice, smoky head on the nose while drinking, smoked malts, there has to be hops for that bitter sour note so, smoked hops, and smoke on the water. It is smoky. I gave it a 3.5 because it is unusual and as I drink it a kinda took a liking to it so, I could not give it a 2.5.

Mouthfeel: I liked the fine carbonation and the slight creamy texture but, they are soon taken away by the smoky profile and roasty undertones. Then the watery style hits the back of the palate to help clean up a little bit except you are left with SMOKE damage on the after taste.

Personally I do not think it is that drinkable. One and done. You should try it. I have had it before when I was out for dinner. And, I bought it again - only one bottle but, I still bought it. I'll wait till summer and when I put those ribs on the grill - I'll make sure I try one more. Maybe with BBQ food I'll like it a little more.
I have to say, the taste is unique.

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance- Dark amber/dark brown with a white foam head with a decent carbonation being present as bubbles run up that glass

Smell- heavy heavy smoked odor that blows your nose away you can pick up slightly wheat hops and smells as well

Taste- light yet strong with smoked hops with super long lingering smokey mouthfeel

Mouthfeel- thin and light bodied and smooth in texture, carbonation can certainly be felt on the tongue

Drinkabilty- not tough to drink but would probably take getting use to considering just how strong the smoke essance is in this brew, would take a bit to get use to this style for me, be interesting to see paired with good food

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

1 pint 9 oz bottle

A: A murky brownish color, not very pleasing but has a wonderful three finger head and beautiful lacing down the glass. The liquid is very bubbly and only negatives are its old fashioned cloudyness.

S: Smoked sausage. Wow. Very very smoky. Not very complex of an aroma due to the overwhelming smokiness. Tough to really find anything else...

T: I was expecting smoke, but the flavor was tactfully hidden until the aftertaste. Tastes very dry and clove like. Does a good job resembling a hefe. Near the end of the sip the smokyness comes through and lasts on the palate. Not a bad taste, I like how the smoke lingers but does not overpower.

M: OK here we have a problem. Way to carbonated, almost fierce. The body is not heavy but the liquid feels dry and thick. Syrupy mouthfeel accompanies the heavy carbonation poorly.

D: Meh, I dont know. I wont buy this beer alone again. I think it would be pretty good at a barbque etc. But not a daily drinker for sure. I do find myself enjoying the uniquity of this beer, but that does not mean I necissarily like it...

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A really pretty beer - mahogany in color with a full, thick head that lasts for quite a while. The smell - wow. Sure is smokey. Smells like hickory-smoked bacon cooking. Smells really unique; I just can't pick out any other smells in here. The taste is dry, smokey and lingering. A little bit of sweetness here, but really lopsided. This is my first rauchbier, and I'm having trouble getting into it. Mouthfeel is nice. A little too carbonated, maybe. Drinkability just isn' there for me. Oh well. I'm not going to trash the score, though, because I can only assume that the parts that I don't like are just part of the style.

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

500 ml bottle, BB date reads June 2011, into tulip. Pours muddy chestnut brown body with mahogany highlits topped by thick, moussy, extremely stable beige crown that clings to the walls and although slowly shrinks never dies.The aroma is bacon-like smokiness masking the qualities of the underlying beer although bananaish notes emerge together with bready, doughy wheat-malt. The flavor is dominated by bacon-like smokiness with greasy notes and burnt wood touch rolled in wheat perceived as bread, followed by low hoppy bitterness towards the finish which is quite dry due to the moderate carbonation and smoke. The wheaty texture imparts creamy fullness to the body. Unfortunately the bananaish sweetness combined with bacon is quite odd and reduces the the drinkability. Although the color is dark the flavor/aroma profile reminds me more of a classic Weizen than Dunkelweizen. There was no caramel or toasty-melanoidin qualities typical of Wienna and/or Munich malt used in Dunkelweizens. Besides, the color of the Rauchbier is usually darker than the color of the non-smoked base style, explaining the dim appearance.

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Dark brown in color with a tan head.
Aroma of campfire ashes and roasted malt.

Taste is too much like an ashtray for my liking. Smoke flavor dominated from start to finish. Good malt and wheat backbone that's well-balanced by the hops.

Good mouthfeel. Somewhat oily.
Too much ash presence for this beer to be drinkable for me.

This is a quality beer, but just not to my liking. I really enjoy how the smoke flavor accents Alaskan Smoked Porter and Stone Smoked Porter, but I got a whole different vibe from this beer. I'm obviously not as into the smoke flavor as some BA's.

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

(Sinister laugh) I have now sampled every brought-to-this country beer from this brewery. This makes my wife happy. She’s not exactly down with the Rauch.

Appearance is a darkened ruby, with Belgian-aspiring huge head and patchy cling.

Nose is smoke – surprise – and cloves pop through much stronger than I had expected. Beechwood is strong and unrelenting. Sugars come through later. Smoke and banana/clove…doesn’t seem like it could work but it does.

But it doesn’t exactly work on the tastebuds. Hickory smoke all over the front end, embers and coal tar. Sweet malt / clove / banana outro. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet.

MF is clean and smooth with peat memories.

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured into a willi becher glass.

Pours a dirty cloudy dark caramel. Has a massively chunked off white head. Head settles to a lace island, lace rims the glass and sits along the glass initially, then fades by mid point. Started out looking awesome then settles to no lace and nearly no head. Disappointing appearance.

Camp Fire roasted pork - Brew smells smoked; roasted,burnt even. Ham, burnt malts. Has a very subtle wheat and grain scent as well. Unique smell to say the least - good.

This brew is smooth and smoked, roasted malts. Has an immediate ham wood smoked flavor. Burnt malts as well. Finishes with the slight wheat flavors in the end. Has a slightly dry finish. Very thick heavy mouthfeel. A very unique flavored brew. The flavors are stuggling to commit to one way or the other to me. I am not sure how well the sweetness of the wheat works with the roasted ham like flavor. Not as complex as I had hoped. OK none the less I guess, but not my thing.

Wow, this is for sure a brew to try - but only for its uniqueness. I am disappointed by a large margin with this one. I preferred their Marzen to this one - by alot. The brew is kind of odd to me, I am not into the mix in combination of smoke and wheat. It drinks ok despite its heavy mouthfeel. If I am going to venture back to the Rauchbier style, it will be the Marzen for sure.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

Nice deep red mahogany colored pour. Greyish head that holds in the glass quite nicely. The nose is amazing, the smoked malt yeilds smoky peat moss aromas. It smells like a good Islay Scotch whiskey. The taste is just smoky and sour. There is not much else happening. The beer does not have good balance. The deep smoke flavors of the malt are diminished by a sourness which takes over. Alone the sourness of the beer is too overwhelming for me, introduce some food with it it becomes less tart and more drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Orangish, brown, cloudy; big head

Aroma: smoky, peppery, cloves

Taste: Slightly smoky, a little watery; you can tell it's a wheat, but the smoke masks the character

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

Thought this would make a good rainy day beer.

Dull golden brown with an eggshell tan head. Thin film of retention doesn't leave much in the way of lace.

Aroma is nostalgic campfire smoke, hay and some mild wheat beer fruitiness (misc. golden fruits). Tastes like smoke and I think golden squash and tortilla chips? The smoked flavor doesn't exactly live up to the smoked aroma - it's there alright but not as strong. The wheat beer doesn't do much but lay there like a starfish. I would have liked to seen more exaggerated German wheat characteristics like banana and clove to play up the rauch malt.

Not sure if this is an old bottle. I'd like to try it on tap to verify.

3.29/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

It pours a surprisingly thin-looking opaque brown. It's thin enough that it should be transparent, but so dark that it almost isn't. It's not REALLY opaque, just...translucent. You can sort of see through it.
It's a pretty straightforward beer. It smells like burnt birch branches and it tastes like beef jerky encrusted with barbecue flavoured potato chips. This a beer style all its own. So unique, in fact, that the characteristic flavour profiles dominate to the extent that it's really difficult for anything to come through that reminds us this is beer. It could just be some sort of beef jerky flavoured soda or maybe fermented, diluted barbecue sauce. That said, it's not bad, really. It's probably an acquired taste for most. My chief complaint is that it's not thicker. For something this robust, my palette demands that it be thicker. If it tastes like I'm eating wood-smoked meat, I don't want it to feel like I'm drinking water. You know? I crave the consistency of a stout or at least a doppelbock when I'm drinking this. I also wish some maltiness could come through to complement the smoked meat flavour. It's got a really basic flavour to how dominant that smokiness is. I know that's just the way this style is meant to be, though, so I shouldn't really be applying that to my criticism of this specific example. I really do hope I come across a version of this that's got a thicker mouthfeel one day, though. That'd be pretty great.

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

After being on a Smoke Beer kick lately, I decided to try this Smoked Weizen. Pours, of course, brown with good head retention. Imediate aromas of smoke fills the area. At closer, detectable notes of pork (almost bacon like). Tastes like country ham. Sweet and mildly salty. Good malt base. The wheat goes mostly undetected, but does add in the viscocity and consistency of the beer. Creamy without thickening. In fact, the thinnest of the three Acht Rauchbiers. Although this one is nice, it's not as firm or bold as the Urbock or Marzen. Still good--like drinking a camp fire.

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

First Rauchbier I've tasted.

Pours a deep amber with a big pillowy head.

Smell is hickory grilled Kielbasa. Smoked sausage. Hickory Farms run through a power juicer.

Taste is very meaty. Little bits of sweetness on the tip of the tongue. I don't get much wheat flavor in this beer.

mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected. More of an amber ale consistency. Quick finishing. Easier to drink than I'd think.

Drinkability: Getting beyond the flavor, Drinkability is very high. It's light and refreshing consistency with a heavy unique flavor. It's doubtful that I'll be seeking this style again though.

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Pours a clear, dark copper with a creamy, rocky head.

S - Smokey - kind of like a bbq.

T/M - Slightly tart up front. Smoke flavour is not as pronounced as the marzen. Slight wateriness in the mouthfeel is not great. Mild hop bitterness and a hint of citrus. Definitely smoked flavour but lacking in any wheatiness.

D - Seems too light, and lacking in flavour somewhat, with the marzen version for comparison. Smoke is mostly in the aroma.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

This beer pours as a cloudy looking yellowish gold color with a thin white head. The smell was obviously smokey with some light wheat aromas in there. The taste was smoked as well but the wheat seemed to mute the strength of it. The mouthfeel is lighter than the other Rauch's this brewery puts out. Overall it's a decent brew but the smoked brews aren't really my thing.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Had a bottle at dba in New York.

Pours a cloudy, amber color. Topped by a beige film of a head. There may be a light fruitiness peaking out from underneath the overpowering smokiness.

Smoke, smoke, smoke that moves into a fruity sweetness. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

I like smoky beers, and this one certainly delivers, but it's a way too smoky to do anything other than sample.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla