Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a cloudy/murky brown color. The head is a very light tan, 1 finger in height. No lacing is present.

S- Notes of banana, clove, smoke, meatiness. Smells like you spilled a hefeweizen in a butcher shop.

T- Very wheaty in the taste, notes of toffee, caramel. Definitely some smoke in there. Finishes slightly dry with a wheaty twang.

M- Very low carbonation.

D- Pretty drinkable, but nothing amazing.

Greggy, Oct 31, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks, Jared.

Pours a medium brown with an off white head. The nose is not nearly as strong as others in their lineup, with a decent amount of smoked wood and not as much char or meaty character. The body is certainly lighter without as much smokey character. A bit dry and light with the wheat, although the flavor from that certainly isn't present. The taste is more toward the mild end of the smoke spectrum and, given that, it's a bit more bland as there isn't really much else to complement it. It drinks fairly well, but not nearly as exciting as the Urbock or Marzen, in my opinion.

Thorpe429, Oct 19, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bottle into my trusty Troegs pint glass.

Pours a dark, translucent brown with yellowy edges. Pretty hard to see through. There's a FAT 2+ inch head as it collects in the glass, I had to wait a few moments for it to recede to pour more. The lacing is sticky and fluffy at the same time. Quite the looker, this beer.

The smell... oh God the smell. This needs its own paragraph, because I have no idea where to begin with this. It is absolutely like no other beer I've smelled before. I'm getting aromas of smoked pork and sausages over an open wood fire. This smell definitely belongs in a delicatessen or a butcher shop or something, not a beer! Absolutely crazy. I can detect just a hint of that weizen malt given a few deep sniffs, but it's very well hidden behind all that smokiness.

I thought I was prepared for the taste, but just... damn. Smoky meats with just a bit of a charred flavor... how does something like this get into a beer? As I'm marveling at this remarkable feat of brewmastery, the subtle malty backbone appears, reminding me that I'm drinking a weizen-style beer. Wheat and yeastiness are subdued, but definitely present as they round out the back end. I get just a subtle hint of weizen banana and fruit flavor as the brew rides down smooth. The minimal aftertaste doesn't have any more wheat for me, however, instead being full of smoked meat. Hops are undetectable, and there is no bitterness. Just a slight bit of astringency from the wheat. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a subtle weizen chewiness. Finishes smooth and dry.

After getting past the initial sensory overload, I found this beer to be quite the quaffable brew. I picked a weizen-esque rauchbier for my first experience into the style and I'm glad I did, because I'm able to latch onto that something I like and compare and contrast it with the extremely unique smokiness. It was certainly an eye-opening drink.

r0nyn, Oct 08, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear, amber color. 1/3 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong smoke, slight sweet malt, and slight roasted malt. Fits the style of smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of smoke, sweet malt, slight yeast, and slight earthy malt. Overall, another good rauchbier from aecht.

Tone, Oct 06, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

I poured into a pint glass to a couple inches of off white head. It is burnt orange in color. The aroma is that wonderful smoked pork smell that accompanies rauchbier. The taste is smoky, but doesn't seem to have that smoked pork flavor that others have had. I can get the wheat flavor and aroma trying to cut through the smoke. This beer is not as smoky as the marzen, which I preferred. This milder offering may be favored by consumers who like a more subtle smoke presence. I'm still a big fan of the style. I've liked them all so far.

buschbeer, Oct 05, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured into a glass from a bottle.

A - Pours a dark copper, forming a massive three fingers of head, leaving light lacing on the glass.

S - Strong smoked malt (smoked meat and spice)aroma dominates the nose.

T - The taste is heavily dominated by the smoke, consisting of the smoked malts, but turns slightly sweet through the taste as the malted wheat comes through. Not as intense as the other rauchbiers by this brewery, but a little cleaner and more complex falvor wise.

M - Medium bodied and very smooth and clean. Good amount of carbonation.

D - It does not get any better than a good rauchbier! The flavor is smooth and unique and very drinkable for a rauchbier! An amazing beer overall.

beeragent, Sep 20, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

Hey I'll admit up front this is the first smoke beer I'd ever tried and although reading gives a hint what to expect it really doesn't prepare you for the experience or make it any easier to enjoy.

Poured an earthy raw umber in color which I thought unique. Starts with a big 2" head which settles down to 1/4" in time. I was genuinely surprised that the intensity of the smell was not as pronounced in the taste. With the bouquet I get not just the bacon and smoked meats and cheeses others reference but also sort of that lit "puck" smell you get during 4th of July firework play. Do you know what I mean by puck? Those 10" sticks dipped in something flammable, kind of lookin like elongated corn dogs? Ha. Anyway this beer kind of smells like something your mom would yell at you for if she caught you putting it in your mouth. Sorry, just being honest. Anyway, it's a wheat beer and that's pretty much the taste with just subdued notes of the bouquet in the taste itself. And I thought it a touch sour.

Look either you love or you hate something like this. Can't say I love it. I respect it, I recognize it's intensities are unique and thus in their own way gourmet. Can't say all I want to drink is smoke beer after this. In fact I think I'll wait quite a while before I try another one.

MoreThanWine, Sep 04, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 1 pint 9 ounce (16.9 ounces?) bottle into a Smithwick's pint glass.

A: Two fingers of nice head appear on the top. The beer itself darkens from bottom to top, chestnut to mahogany. Several bubbles stuck to the bottom of the glass rise up.

S: The expected smokiness comes laden with the scent of smoked meat (pork comes to mind). This is not nearly as strong smelling as its cousin (Märzen), and has a faint metallic tinge. Smelling closely one can perhaps smell strains of yeast familiar to other wheat beers.

T: Good, but not great. I loved the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen, and I like wheat beers, so my expectations were high. It's possible the novelty of rauchbier has worn off, but I think it's mostly because the Weizen isn't as strong an effort. The beer is a little meaty, pleasantly so, with definite wheaty tones. To Schlenkerla's credit, this tastes like a wheat beer with smoke in it. It's good, but nothing special. The aftertaste is rather bland, with only a hint of smoke remaining.

M: Carbonated and mostly unremarkable, except for the metallic feeling that creeps in.

D: The smokey attributes of this beer nullify the usual drinkability of wheat beers. It's not HARD to drink, but it's not easy either. In the future, if I want a rauchbier, I'll stick to the Märzen, which is what I recommend in favour of this beer.

AgentMunky, Aug 28, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Good head, color is a dark brown with hints of yellow when held up to the light. It was rather odd, this is the first time I have seen a beer with such a coloration.

S: Smells like you would expect a Schlenkerla beer to smell. Bacon, ham, maybe some wood... weird but... angenehm

T: I mostly taste the smoky meat flavor. This beer is perhaps a bit sweeter than the Märzen. I can also notice some more malts or bread flavors in this one.

M: It is medium, not as thick as expected. I would also expect more carbonation from a Weizen. It was all a little "meh".

D: Drinkable is not what I would call this beer. It was a nice treat though...

EwaldEichstaett, Aug 20, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle purchased from Five Points Bottle in Athens, GA.

Pours a unique brownish-gray color with an off-white head tinged with more gray. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of robust smoked malts without much else. Neutral malt aromas lurk in the background backing up the smokiness.

Tastes good. Smooth smoked malt flavors kick things off. Joining in midway through the sip are hints of medium fruits - pears if I had to choose - that turn slightly sour shortly thereafter. What little fruit flavors exist fade out into a mildly bitter and very smoky ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I'm not sure how I felt about the hints of sour fruit flavors in this bad boy. The flavors were mild and didn't take anything away from this beer however I think the more robust malt flavors in the Marzen and Urbock do a better job of complementing the smokiness. Still, this is a nice beer that's worth a shot.

glid02, Aug 19, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured into a willi becher glass.

Pours a dirty cloudy dark caramel. Has a massively chunked off white head. Head settles to a lace island, lace rims the glass and sits along the glass initially, then fades by mid point. Started out looking awesome then settles to no lace and nearly no head. Disappointing appearance.

Camp Fire roasted pork - Brew smells smoked; roasted,burnt even. Ham, burnt malts. Has a very subtle wheat and grain scent as well. Unique smell to say the least - good.

This brew is smooth and smoked, roasted malts. Has an immediate ham wood smoked flavor. Burnt malts as well. Finishes with the slight wheat flavors in the end. Has a slightly dry finish. Very thick heavy mouthfeel. A very unique flavored brew. The flavors are stuggling to commit to one way or the other to me. I am not sure how well the sweetness of the wheat works with the roasted ham like flavor. Not as complex as I had hoped. OK none the less I guess, but not my thing.

Wow, this is for sure a brew to try - but only for its uniqueness. I am disappointed by a large margin with this one. I preferred their Marzen to this one - by alot. The brew is kind of odd to me, I am not into the mix in combination of smoke and wheat. It drinks ok despite its heavy mouthfeel. If I am going to venture back to the Rauchbier style, it will be the Marzen for sure.

magine, Aug 13, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 50cl bottle into a tulip.

A - Very dark with a lovely big head.

S - Smoked sausage/bacon/various other pork products. Not a usual beer aroma but with this style of beer it's par for the course (and delicious!!). Plus some woodchips. Have to give this full marks just for it's potency. So good it could be overpowering.

T - Lightly roasted malts. Typical dunkel flavours but slightly lighter, that aroma is all consuming as you drink. Mild but with a plethora of smoky flavours.

M - Smooth and creamy. Soothing.

D - I think the aroma would make you chase some kind of wurst sooner or later but very pleasant to drink.

Lovely subtle beer with one hell of an aroma. Think I'll finish this and then head to a Bavarian BBQ.

xylophonica, Aug 07, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer poured cloudy dark brown in color with a finger high creamy off white head that never quite completely disappeared. A moderate amount of carbonation is visible from the rising bubbles.
S: There are lots of smoky aromas emanating from the nose.
T: Like the smell, smoky flavors dominate the taste but aren't quite as intensive as the märzen or urbock varieties. There are some hints of citrus and wheat in the flavors.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and is rather smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer isn't that difficult to drink and the smoky aroma and flavors are very interesting--enough to make me want to try this again and pair it with some barbequed food or bacon.

metter98, Aug 02, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a pint glass @ the cove in Baton Rouge. Translucent orange/brown with a slightly off white head.

Heavily smokey notes with the more faint standard weizen fare of banana and spicy clove.

Tastes like straight up liquid smoke. Absolutely delicious, however. The weizen tastes are actually pretty difficult to distinguish here. The body is medium with a grainy mouthfeel. Drinlability is good.

MrHassellYaHurd, Jul 17, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a muddy chestnut with a vibrant two finger white head. Nose- sweet, smoke, with some banana. Taste- more of an acrid smoke taste, salty mixed with a wheat sweetness. Finish is quite dry and grainy. Moderate carbonation and mouthfeel. Not as complex as their other smoked offerings- but good summer brew.

oakbluff, Jul 04, 2010

The beer pours a brown color with a white head. The aroma is unmistakably rauchbier. I get a ton of smoke and ash along with some wheat. The flavor is smoke and wheat. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I enjoyed this beer, but I liked the roasted malt and dark fruit notes that I got from the Maerzen and Urbock more than the wheat notes that I get from this beer. This one was a little too one dimensional.

Mora2000, Jun 26, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +12%

Drank from my Westmalle chalice.

A - Pours a dark mahogany colour withe off white head that stays the distance.

S - Smoke smoke and more smoke.

T - Nice weizen charachters that are supeerseeded by rauch flavours.

M - Full body and minimal carbonation.

D - Schlenkerla is rapidly becoming my favourite German brewery. this beer is amazing.

eric5bellies, Jun 05, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared w/ mom at Zeno's earlier this afternoon.

A- Body is a quite hazy muddy, murky brown color with that has a slightly dynamic fogginess. Served with a nice soapy 1 finger white head with great retention though little lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is very smoky-filled with smoked meat and an overall summer cookout or campfire impression. VERY faintly behind this is an impression of banana bread.

T-Flavor is very well done and balanced. The smokiness is definitely there but serves as an overtone to the classic weizen flavors behind it. Flavor is very bready with the bready yeast probably being the main character and there is a slight hint of banana and clove there as well. The finish is all smoke and bread.

M- Great-almost cask-like. Soft carbonation with a full, very smooth and bready light to medium weight body.

D- This is a great German brew. Classic hefe (though color is dunkel flavor profile reminds me more of a hefe) meets classic rauchbier. Wonderfully smooth and drinkable-underrated.

PittBeerGirl, May 09, 2010

Poured from 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light brown color with a touch of haze and two fingers of rapidly dissipating frothy light tan foam. It looks rather a lot like a dunkelweizen.

Smell: medium-strong smoke aroma. It smells a lot like a nice lapsang souchong tea or an Islay Scotch. These are aromas I quite like.

Taste: smoke is not quite as pronounced as in the aroma, but is still present in spades. There is a nice wheaty malt background to the flavor, but not much of the banana or clove flavors I like in a weizen. I don't have a lot of rauchbier experience, but what I'm tasting I quite like.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a big, well-integrated carbonation. Overall, a nice creamy feel.

Drinkability: this is a pretty drinkable beer. It's keeping my interest quite well; in fact, I would not mind sessioning this beer. Good stuff!

flagmantho, Apr 17, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

This one pours a tootsie roll brown that is capped off by a large, rocky cream-colored head. The smell hits you immediately and it is smoky, meaty with a hint of grains. It is the kind of smoky that you smell on your clothes the morning after sitting around a campfire all night. The taste is much the same but the sweetness of the malt comes through a little in the end. It is not too thick which you assume after smelling it but is rather light which is what you expect from a Weizen. This one is very refreshing but still odd and different being a rauchbier. I am very impressed with this one and will be seeking out more.

CrazyMacHarris99, Apr 07, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +10%

In short, think of liquid smoked bacon!
Or you would experience a smoke chamber/ cold campfire on your taste buds.

The smoke smell is just slighty and gives away that something new to your taste will happen. Freshly tap'ed the smoke strikes much better than in the bottle but it is dominant in the background.

Touch of maltiness is on top of the dark smoked beer. As a wheat it is a bit low on the carbonation side but still offers the refreshing drinking.

Schlenkerla is a beer for food!
Real german leverwurst, or smoked bacon, fresh dark bread (wodden fire), or simply a bretzel and butter.

The on-tap experience is worth to travel to Bamberg!

BayerischBier, Apr 04, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance - Like a good dunkelweizen - reddish-brown, large head with good retention.

Smell - Mostly smoked ham, but some banana is detectable.

Taste - Different to say the least. Tastes like a blend of about two-thirds hefeweizen and one-third smoked lager, which is true to some extent since the wheat malt is not smoked. This produces surprisingly good flavour depth and balance, with sweet banana upfront before the smoke hits you in the finish. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - Has a typical unfiltered weizen texture, but is a little cloying in the back of the mouth.

Drinkability - Better than the Märzen, which isn't saying much.

Overall - An excellent beer for those who can get over the unusual style.

Cs1987, Apr 04, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

25oz bottle into stange glass at 50 degrees.

Pours with a healthy 3-4F of creamy, tan head over a deep ruby tea colored body which is plenty cloudy. Very little carbonation showing. Light lacing.

Nice smokey aromas fill the glass, with a surprisingly noticeable apple pie quality as well - decent sweet spices. Smells like Fall.

Taste kicks off plenty roasty, with a slightly charred, woody flavor accompanied by a little more citrus (lemon) than was in the aroma, and some clove. A little richer on the palate than a typical weizen, with the smoke rounding out and balancing the crispness. Silky smooth on the palate, and a bit juicy.

This was highly drinkable on its own, however I'd recommend enjoying it with some smoked pork and/or sharp cheese. This would kill with a roast pork n' provolone sammy.

BeerImmediately, Mar 28, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured from a pint bottle to a mug. Had a dirty brown color and a hazy consistency. there was a half inch of foamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: Smoke, smoke and more smoke. Smelled like a campfire mixed with wheat and banana.

T: Tasted similar to the smell. The smoke is very up front, but there is also bananas, wheat, and some esters. An interesting combination.

M: A fairly well-carbonated beer with a very dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: Drinkable, but this is going to be one of those things you either love or hate.

avalon07, Mar 17, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Cloudy, dark amber with a golden hue around the edges. Frothy, white, half-inch head that thins to about a quarter inch. Very good lacing as it goes down.
Smell is smokey malts, with barbeque, and sausage.
As with the nose, smokey malts dominate the taste. Barbeque and sausage, with a little bacon (with a bit of melon) and more smoke at the end.
Mouthfeel is crisp, with a medium-light body.
Good drinkability on this one. Excellent beer overall.

Parrotbeak, Mar 10, 2010