Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-23-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Alström Bros
ollie78

3.9/5  rDev 0%

A: Dark brown with a brownish head.

S: Reminded me of smoked links with a hint of bacon and a touch of malt.

T: It is as if you are eating the beer version of a meaty meal. The smoky flavor nicely accents the quality of a beer.

M: I was expecting a heavy feel based on the look and smell. The feel is crisp, but with the right amount of "flavor" you'd expect based on the look and smell.

D: Not a beer for when thirsty, but as a compliment to a cheese tasting or eating a hearty meal it would be the perfect match.

12-22-2009 00:59:17 | More by ollie78
twiggamortis420

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a dark golden color - almost amber with a tight bubbled white foam that sticks around nicely. Not much lacing left behind. I expected a lighter color for a weizen.

That's pretty interesting, the beer has banana and clove notes along with some bacon-dripping smokiness in tow. Sounds disgusting, but I find it strangely enticing. I do like the nose on the other Schlenkerla brews better though, they have more smoke.

This one certainly has the least amount of smoke flavor of the main 3 Schlenkerla beers typically found in the states. Still more than most rauch-ies found 'round here. Banana and clove flavors still manage to make their presence on the palate, especially as the smoke flavors fade more as the glass gets emptier. Not sure why that is, but it happens with every rauchbier. Aecht Schlenkerla Weizen is another winner in the Heller Brauerei lineup. Amazingly drinkable and flavorful beer. A bit expensive at 5 bucks per 500 mL, but a nice tasty treat whenever a rauchbier craving hits.

12-10-2009 01:53:00 | More by twiggamortis420
kanshiketsu

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Dark brown with a beige, foamy head. Nice lacing.

S - Immediately smells smokey (mesquite ribs, hickory smoked bacon, smoked cheddar cheese)

T - Tastes much like it smells. Would pair well with meats and cheeses. This beer is definitely not for everyone (I was given this beer to finish when the woman I was out drinking with couldn't handle it, FYI).

M - Thick in the mouth. Substantive. Drinks like a meal.

D - Not something I'd reach for if I was thirsty. Hungry, yes, but not thirsty. Drinkable if you like all things smoked.

12-09-2009 02:16:34 | More by kanshiketsu
hustlesworth

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

A- clear toasty brown, golden highlights with a dense stiff amazingly nice capper of beige foam. the stuff is bad ass. and it's taking so long to settle that i'm growing impatient as my area fills with the gentle aroma of smokes meats. poured gently, there's no haze from the yeast. lace is very thick and 3-dimensional, becoming patchy and crusty as it slides down.

S- bacon and smoked ham, first off. campfire, bonfire, whatever. the main thing is-- barbecue pit. a big fat smoker with a half a pig inside. and maybe a turkey as well. subtle yeast and wheat aromas hide behind the smoke. some fruity tartness, clove, and grilled banana. a truly mouthwatering aroma.

T- meaty, grilled, all goes without saying. i was unsure how this would compare to their unsmoked (though still smokey) helles, and i gotta give it to this weizen. the aroma is dominated by smoke but the taste is a great balance between a light flavored weizen, mildly sour fruits, and beechwood smoke. apart from some very faint clove type spice, much of the yeast flavors are blanketed by smoke while the tart snappiness of wheat pulls through. it's the perfect counterpart to the savory barbecue element and harmoniously they ride. a light touch of hops is merely a bitter accent in the long smoked out finish.

MF- some acidic feel, and lighter than i expected, but still with the plush body of wheat. carbonation is lively and active and the bubbles seems to move in intelligent unison like a school of herring. finish has a dry, smoke bath feeling.

D- with such intriguing flavor and good looks, not to mention an enticing aroma, this is a unique specimen that any 'real' beer lover should try. it's a man's beer, and unless a (american) girl has a bacon fetish, she might be turned off by this one. all things considered, it's as crisp and refreshing as any light bodied weizen. i wish the bottle was bigger, much bigger, but after one i'd move on to something non smokey.

11-27-2009 06:30:47 | More by hustlesworth
fsimcox

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a light brown, clove color. Thick 1-inch white foamy head that dissipates to ¼ inch after a few minutes. Not much lacing.

Smells of smoked bacon, but not overwhelming. Some malt.

A smoky taste, but not as overpowering as I remember from when I visited the brewery. A hint of creaminess one would expect from a weizen, even a hint of banana hidden behind the smoke. Finish is smoke, a little dry, and slight smoky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is crisp, and full. Some carbonation hits the back of my throat.

I remember not really enjoying this beer when I had it in Bamberg 2-years ago. But frankly, I enjoyed it today. The "best before" date is Dec09, so, the bottle is approx 1-year old. Perhaps the smoke fads with time? Anyhow, I would drink another.

Serving type: 500 ml bottle

11-26-2009 18:21:58 | More by fsimcox
drabmuh

Maryland

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

I am going to retry this beer and give it another shot, but I would like to say that I had the hardest time finishing this beer.

Beer served in a hefeweizen glass from a bottle. Beer is dark / black brown. Head is large and steady. Can't tell the carbonation. It looks good, lets keep going.

Smell is overwhelming. Hickory and smoke. VERY STRONG SMELL. I don't have to lift the glass to my face to smell it. Knocks me over. What is this going to taste like? Burnt wood?

I coughed. Seriously, I felt like I was suffocating. Beer is medium bodied. No sweetness I can detect up front, just the smoke in the back.

I feel like I'm exhaling smoke after I swallow. Maybe this is the point. The most dominant flavor is smoke, the second most is smoke, followed closely by the strong aftertaste of smoke. I had to drink another beer to get the smoke flavor out of my mouth.

I'll try the other and maybe this one again since I'm clearly in the minority on this one. SMOKE!

11-13-2009 20:31:09 | More by drabmuh
Jayli

Originally consumed 10/23 lost original review

A: This beer pours a crystal clear amber color with about a one finger of white head that recedes relatively quickly. Ringlets of lacing are left on the glass.

S: Nose is - campfire in a bottle folks! Malts are present and as the beer warms, slight fruity notes can also be detected.

T: Taste is a big dose of smoked goodness to start off with, the middle has a touch of wheat, a touch of fruit all complimented by a continued smoked flavoring.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, somewhat chewy in the middle of this beer and finishes clean and crisp.

D: I love me some smoked beers so this is one that I could sit with for an entire evening.

11-03-2009 14:21:02 | More by Jayli
dpnelson1978

1.6/5  rDev -59%

25 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip.

$7.99 / ea.

S: Smoke, and nothing else. Imagine a camp fire.

A: Cloudy brown body, thick rocky tight white head that leaves wonderful lacing.

T: Smoke, and somewhat sour. A little bit like jerky. Not my thing.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation. The bite from the carbonation stays on the tongue well after you are done drinking.

D: I had to throw away most of the bottle. I don't like smoke beer.

O: No. . .

11-02-2009 04:58:13 | More by dpnelson1978
TexIndy

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Got from Johnnnniee in a trade - many thanks! Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass. It was a dark amber color with a lot of carbonation streams throughout. Quick sliding and non sticking lace. It had a large beige head that settled into a foam and collar.

The aroma was smoke and smoked ham/bacon. Smelled like breakfast time while camping out - awesome. I really didn't get much of the wheat aromas though just a faint hint of clove. The taste followed the aroma exactly. Smoke and smoked pork flavors with a touch of clove in it. Wouldn't have minded some of the other wheat flavors to kick in. Mouthfeel was between watery and medium which is in-line with the style.

Overall, a really delicious rauchbier that I highly recommend if you like the style. I've had this one once now and the marzen several times and I like the marzen a little better as it has some more base flavor to blend with the one dimensional aspect of the smoke flavor. Towards the end this gets to be a lot of smoke so one is plenty for a sitting. Rotation: not avail here. Would like to try again and at least once on tap. After that, I'd probably stick with the marzen version per notes above.

10-27-2009 00:40:46 | More by TexIndy
DerBayer

Germany

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

The colour is a cloudy brwon which can look very enticing depending on my mood

The smell is smoke but also banana and clove which is where the fact that this is a Hefeweizen comes through

The taste is complex with strong smokey notes but also hints of fruit and clove

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy at times unfortunately a bit metallic though

Drinkability is very moorish a first but increasingly challenging as you get near the bottom

10-18-2009 19:46:44 | More by DerBayer
ralree

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Very dark for a weissbier. Rich deep red with an off-white reddish head. OK retention, not much lacing, but fine for the style.

S: As one would expect having tasted their other beers, this one smells like a campfire, but a particularly wheaty one. Very sweet smelling.

T: Very smoky, fruit is a little cloying. Dark fruit is dominant - reminds me of many German dark beer flavors. The wheat gives it a nice backing, and the smoke flavor isn't as overpowering as in the other beers from Schlenkerla. Yet, I don't like it as much as many weissbiers I've had.

M: Light mouthfeel, dry, almost a little watery. Non-astringent, good carbonation.

D: Drinks well, but I'd prefer it with a nice brat, or maybe a pig knuckle.

10-08-2009 23:56:43 | More by ralree
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

I'm looking forward to this one. I'm addicted to the Marzen from Aecht Schlenkerla.. so we'll give this one a shot. Poured into a wide snifter from a 500ml bottle.

A- Waaaay darker than I expected. A nice, dense, creamy head that settles into a nice film on top of the beer. Very attractive... is this a weizen, as the label says.. or a rauchbier? Can't it be both?

S- Smoke from a mile away. I want to say this one is more pronounced than the Marzen... although without one to compare I can't be sure. Either way, it is intense. Very intense. Smells like hickory smoked bacon, I kid you not. Since I love the smoke smell, I can't imagine a better aroma. 5 of 5.

T- Follows the nose, but is not as strong. Still, the smoke is undeniable. Fantastic. Wow. A crisp beer, esp. considering what I thought it would be. A weizen, for sure... just looks a lot darker that I would expect. A smoky taste lingers with this one... and since I have a hard-on for rauchbiers, I love it! The weizen is noticeable from the body to the flavors and aftertaste... but is followed with a great smokiness. Not abrasive or offensive in the least.. this beer is a joy to drink.

M- Lighter than the marzen, I really am digging this beer. It's a coin flip between which one I like better, as both contain the awesome smoky taste. The marzen is a bit heavier, while this one is crisp and almost effervescent. I love it.

D- Moderate to high. Goes down like water for me.... depending on your affinity for rauchbiers you may feel one is enough. I'd drink this by the keg if I could. Bravo!

10-03-2009 00:21:35 | More by ShogoKawada
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle into nonic pint glass. Was a fantastic complement to some slab bacon I had for brunch.

Pours much darker than expected for a weizen, but then, I suppose that's the smoked malt coming out. Dark amber in the glass, cloudy, with a nice, dense 2-finger head.

Nose is really interesting - big sausagey smoke, though not as bold as in some of Schlenkerla's other offerings (re: urbock, fastenbier) along with a crisp wheat body and some nice clove and a bit of lemony citrus underneath. Definitely more rauchbier than weizen.

Taste follows suit - a slightly drier smoke, mixing peat and sausage notes, is the key property, though you absolutely get light notes of clove, banana, citrus, and tangy wheat mixed in there as well. Very interesting and nicely balanced between the two aspects, though the smoke is, again, the main characteristic.

Mouthfeel is nice - dry, medium bodied with a nice, lightly prickly carbonation. You can almost feel the smokiness in your mouth.

Drinkability is quite good - a full 16 oz serving didn't wear on me at all, and I could have gone for another full pour quite easily.

09-21-2009 13:15:53 | More by JohnQVegas
hardy008

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a dark auburn color with a one finger white head with decent retention. Smells of smoke, wood, wheat, and lemon. Taste is the same. Almost has the flavor of smoke brisket. Very good. Well carbonated and light bodied. This beer is easy to drink. You either love smoked beers or you hate them. I love them.

09-13-2009 20:37:45 | More by hardy008
erz316

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

1 pt 9floz bottle into a pint glass.

A - the body is a dark brown auburn with notable reds, and a creamy cream coloured head. very good looking beer, pretty dark and hazy, and i haven't even gotten to the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

S - the most noticeable is the smell of smoked malts, which is right up front, but the midground is not to be considered weak at all: the mid is this very wheaty and sweet malt experience, a really great compliment to the sometimes harsh/overpowering smell of the smoke. this is a really great blend of the weizen- and rauch- styles of beer: each scent is completely identifiable and great smelling.

T - the taste is just like the nose, each note corresponds to a taste. the ratios are almost the same, but I think the wheat has come out a bit ahead of the smoked malts. the initial taste is a yeasty bread-ness and sweet wheaty malts, with some slight smoke profile in the background. there is a slight astringency somewhere in the mix, slightly puckering, but mixes in well with the smoke aspect. the finish is cool and refreshing, slightly smoky, but moreso yeasty with some wheat. the aftertaste is an even blend of smoke and wheat. a very good and interesting beer, but not smoky enough for my tastes.

MF&D - the feel is more like a weizen than a rauchbier, in that sense it looses some points: it is very carbonated and has a light and easy-to-drink body. either way, the brew is highly drinkable, but the only thing I really have to complain about is that the sourness, that puckering flavour, may eventually make me want to stop drinking it.

08-18-2009 21:38:24 | More by erz316
cudmud

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer produces a nice rocky head and ample lace. The color is dark amber to light brown. The aroma will knock your soxs! This beer smells like a campfire. The smokey smell overpowers the other aromas. The flavor is malt-like and peppery. The aftertaste is like a freshly-somked ham. This beer is true to style and is one of my favorites.

08-10-2009 03:58:14 | More by cudmud
rhoadsrage

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

(Served in a Weizen glass)

A- This beer pours a light walnut brown body that is hazy with a mousse light tan head that last for the full beer. There is a gentle carbonation of bubbles gliding to the surface.

S- This beer has a soft alder smoke nose with a light pale malt aroma and a finish of grilled hot dogs.

T- The bright smoky flavor has a sweaty/salty hint to it with a softer banana and clove note. The finish has a fruity yeast and bacon flavor with a slight oxidized note.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-light with no alcohol heat or astringency.

D- The smoke is a bit overbearing at first but as the beer warms it is balanced by the other flavors. It is a bit odd but it does work with all the flavors together. A full pint is a bit much before the beer gets to be to much.

07-24-2009 18:30:32 | More by rhoadsrage
Brad007

Vermont

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a very dark red/brown color with a one-finger head into my fluted tulip.

Aroma is full of smoked peat with only subtle hints of clove and banana underneath. Pretty much dominated by the smoke.

Taste is full of smoke that fades away to clove and wheat underneath. The weizen part is still there but obscured well by the smoke.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering smoke, wheat and clove. A bit less smoke lingers here. The other flavors have a chance to shine.

Not bad but again, only drink it if you can tolerate the style. I like it but honestly, I couldn't drink more than one rauchbier in a sitting. They're certainly unique in their composition. Give it a try.

07-12-2009 07:50:59 | More by Brad007
koolk

Australia

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a dark amber with a solid white head with good retention.

Wow! Initial thoughts are "smoke, smoke and more smoke". Seems over the top, but once settled in it starts to smell more like smoked food - smoked fish - particularly mussels and salmon - smoky bacon and artificially smoked snacks. Some subtle hints of citrus and spices come in as well. Very interesting and more enjoyable as the nose gets used to it.

Palate has the obvious smoke flavours but some tart grain flavours as well. Well balanced and not overwhelming, yet the finish is unmistakably "smoked fishy".

Good length with a nice tart finish.

Freaky beer, but once the palate tunes in it is very enjoyable. Worth seeking out, yet not something I could see myself drinking constantly.

07-01-2009 07:59:42 | More by koolk
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.9/5  rDev 0%

16.9oz brown glass pry-top. No freshness date. Just arrive in VT this week.

Appearance: Poured casually resulting in head filling half my imperial pint. Fluffy, creamy light tan head atop murky amber/brown body.

Nose: Campfire smoke. Some light citrus notes, charcoal. Smells like a bonfire on a sandy beach.

Palate: Medium bodied and not as smokey as the nose would lead you to believe. Don't get me wrong, it's plenty smokey, but it takes a second to catch up. Salty and sandy, tastes of driftwood, seaweed and wet burnt wood. Can't find the wheat anywhere.

Notes: Man, these guys make smokebeer alright. An interesting twist, but without having it side by side with the original it's hard to say what the wheat does. Drinkability is low because the beer is SO bold.

06-30-2009 06:25:58 | More by SFLpunk
tigg924

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: huge one inch head, hazy, leather brown

Smell: smoke, wheat, pork, lemon, and Belgian spices

Taste: wheat, pork, malt, coriander, oranges, Belgian spices, and smoke especially at the end

Mouthfeel: medium body, moderate carbonation, sweet

Drinkability: Very much a hefeweizen with smoke added to it. The smoke is present but is not as dominate as some other beers from the brewery. I could have several but of the four i have tried this is my least favorite

06-26-2009 19:22:56 | More by tigg924
juju7

Australia

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Love these beers. Appearing very dark at first but is dark ruby when held up to the light. A soft off white head coated the glass well. On the nose is smoke (obviously) with some whisky-like peatiness. the banana/clove weizen part of it is fighting to get past the bushfire, but it is faintly there. No noticeable hop presence. Drinks crazy smooth. There is a little more of the weizen character on the palate. Medium carbonation and wicked long finish. It would be a waste to session on this but it is also quite addictive and really leaves me wishing I had more in the fridge. Absolutely delish on this chilly evening.

06-20-2009 08:52:47 | More by juju7
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into the Sam Adams glass.

A - Pours a dark honey colored almost brownish with a off white head that is about 2 fingers. A lot of carbonation rising up from the bottom.

S - WOW smells liked salami! Its true. Some faint sweet maltiness comes out. Spicy.

T - Very interesting smoked meat taste. Some beef jerky and a bit of pepperoni as well. Im not joking. Some mild bitterness at the end with a bit of dryness. Aftertaste completely smoked! Wheat isn't really coming through some hints of clove but not so preset.

M - Light to medium bodied not too complex but very interesting.

D - Not my favorite style of beer. Definitely interesting and not bad but not my favorite.

Edit: As it warms some of the wheat character is a lot more present with some spicyness and clove character more noticeable.

06-07-2009 23:59:56 | More by JoEBoBpr
BWMKappaSig

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a very dirty, cloudy, brown with a huge off-white head. Head goes away relatively quickly, leaving a light coating of small bubbles. Reminds me of hard cider if it were brewed by swamp creatures.

S: "Smells like salami" was my immediate reaction. A very smoky smell that's really quite enjoyable for its uniqueness. A touch of vanilla and some bready yeast appear upon giving it additonal smells.

T: No salami at all in the taste. A smoky malt, hints of vanilla, clove, and banana, similar to a lot of other wheat beers. As it warms, the smoke really becomes more noticable. Little to no intense malt sweetness, yet very little hops bitterness either. The smoke predominates the flavor, but the subtleties of the wheat shine through nicely.

M: Dry and smooth, with little aftertaste at first. Medium body but very smooth. As the beer warms, the aftertaste sticks a bit more, almost coating the mouth with a smokiness, but certainly not offensively.

D: I wouldn't jump to drink this with every meal, but it complimented sausages wonderfully. Low in alcohol and totally enjoyable.

05-28-2009 22:02:00 | More by BWMKappaSig
atpben

2.55/5  rDev -34.6%

I wanted to try this beer to see if I could appreciate smoked beer and this one was a wizen to boot. Had this at the El Bait Shop in Des Moines. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a brown color with a medium head. Smells of smoked cheese and meat. Taste was mostly smokey too with the wheat trying to come through but failing. This beer was hard for me to drink. One bottle is more than enough for a night. Just not my style of beer.

05-24-2009 01:49:52 | More by atpben