1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 953 | Reviews: 626 | Show All Ratings:
TongoRad

Into a .25l Schlenkerla tulip it poured a crystal clear ruby-brown with ebony undertones and a dense tan long-lasting two-finger head. The reflected light in the bottom of the glass really shows off this beer's color beautifully.

Aroma is amazing- very straightforward and taughtly composed at first glance yet underneath is a sumptuous complexity. The smoke hits you first and it is definitely omnipresent but that soon gives way to spicy elements (black pepper, nutmeg), creamy malt, dark caramel, figs, sawdust, cheese and stone ground mustard. So complex and multi-faceted at its core. This aroma is both wonderfully evocative and timeless .

Now, take the palate of the perfect bock beer- residual maltiness, alcohol, bitterness, and toasted malt all in perfect harmony- and add that evocative smokiness and spiciness to add up to this experience. It is almost too good to be true. The finish is long lasting smoke and malt, gently fading away.

I could drink a ton of these.

05-17-2006 02:40:44 | More by TongoRad
brdc

Wisconsin

Appearance is similar to other Heller-Trum rauchbiers, golden brown, with a tan head that dissiaptes quickly leaving good lacing.
Smell is just terrific - I know a lot of people hates this, but I find it stimulating, and matches perfect with most meats, if smoked even better. Woodburning fireplace, salami, bacon, roasted sausages.
Taste is also impressive: malted, roasted meats, hints of alcohol, sausages.
Mouthfeel is what I expect from rauchbier, medium-bodied.
Very easy to drink with smoked sausages, the prototypical smoked beer.

11-19-2006 01:17:11 | More by brdc
HotterThanHell

Arizona

One of the best on the planet!

Had this beer on tap in October, took notes, got really intoxicated several times, and lost my notes somewhere in Munich. (I think)

This beer is absolutely beautiful. Sat at a table with my brother (ungespundet) and our great friend (TTU94) and an elderly German couple who we shot the shit with via a translator (Ungespundet).

Dark, smoky, complex, in your face beer. Not for the faint hearted at all. But if you can make it, this is one of those rare beers that you will remember for a long time. Although the alchohol content may make you forget everything else.

If you get the chance to go to Germany, stop in Bamberg and visit this and the other 10 or so breweries and you will be in beer heaven.

Prosit!

01-26-2008 03:35:52 | More by HotterThanHell
tigg924

Appearance: huge head that dimples, dark brown, medium carbonation

Smell: pepper, campfire smoke, pork, and spice

Taste: huge smoky wood taste, spice, pork, burnt malt

Mouthfeel: very smooth, medium light body

Drinkability: I feel sort of bad giving this all fives, but truth be told I believe this is the benchmark for my favorite style. If I could have one beer for the rest of my life this is it. The smoke is not subtle--it is amazing. The other flavors are very complex. This hides the alcohol well. Everything a rauch should be. Everything a beer should be. This is the beer for me.

02-28-2009 02:37:59 | More by tigg924
yelterdow

A true blue Rauchbier served at just over fridge temperature with a roast beef sandwich. A traditional German stange will be my vessel of choice.

Appearance- This beer's color even looks smoked... it's a burnished brown, the hue of bacon. Its crown is simply astounding, bordering on impossible... four to five full fingers of head, thick and supple. Even after five minutes, the crown is denser than a fat kitchen sponge. Gobs and gobs of lacing dress the glass, it's a beautiful beer.

Smell- The fireplace in the great room... going for hours, creating that aroma that wafts through the neighborhood. A perfect, glorious display of smoked malt that one can really only marvel, like it or not. It's brilliant, especially due to the subdued floral notes I'm picking up underneath the peaty character.

Taste- I remember the first time I sampled this beer on tap at FireWaters in Hackensack... it was like a liquid ham sandwich, but that was it. Now, a few years later, I realize it is so much more than that. The smoked malt dominates and anchors the flavor profile, but then a cameo of molasses and the surprisingly prominent hop bitterness balances the malt sweetness and the result is most refreshing and enjoyable. The endless smoky, yet bright finish is extraordinary.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- As if this beer hasn't already won me over, the mouthfeel only adds to the experience and allows the nuances of smoked malt, molasses, and hops to unfold their bountiful properties. A classic in every regard, there's something to be said for this brewery's absolutely stunning offerings.

03-07-2009 20:03:27 | More by yelterdow
Motorcharge

A: Very dark brown with very little foam, though may have been due to how I poured it. Low carbonation.

S: Excellent pork BBQ smoky smell. Smells is if someone filtered it through charcoal from a pig smoker after smoking pork all day.

T: Tastes exactly how it smells. Stronger taste than I expected but that was a pleasant surprise. Awesome finish, slightly bitter, though bitter is a stronger word than I'd like.

M: Very smooth and easy to drink. Slight bitterness that twists the mouth a little, but it just makes you want to drink more. Very little carbonation made drinking it quickly quite easy.

O: I'm lucky enough to have 3 craft been bars here that have thousands of beers between their coolers and taps and a beer store with several hundred beers as well. I've tried countless beers over the years and come to love a handful that I'd recommend to anyone, but this is leaps and bounds better than anything I've had before. It was a little pricey at $5 a beer (retail store, not a bar) but well worth it. My only complaint is how fast it goes haha.

11-25-2012 00:52:25 | More by Motorcharge
cbeer88

Reviewed off 500ml bottle poured into imperial pint glass, but I also recently drank a lot of this at the annual brewery tapping party.

Appearance: Very dark brown in body color, head looks like coffee foam but no more than a finger and a half, even with an aggressive pour.

Smell: Smoke and wood dominate anything else that is there.

Taste: More smoke and more oak, but the malt flavors are much more balanced in the taste. Burnt caramel is in there, some caramelized brown sugar, and a faint bit of spice to cap things off.

Mouthfeel: Beautifully full bodied and low carbed. Exquisite.

Drinkability: Yes please. Too strong for a session beer, but if you like a good rauchbier, you can throw these down all night.

Overall: I love rauchbiers, and I've had a lot of them, including everything from Schlenkerla numerous times. This is my favorite, and IMHO, THE best rauchbier out there. Rating to style, I just don't know where I would knock it down. It knows what it is and it does it perfectly. It deserves a 5.

12-01-2012 04:03:29 | More by cbeer88
becktone

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

From notes 1-19-10

Eye: Deep dark brown in color, mahogany. Head is tan in color and is a thick blanket over the beer, lacing is sheets leaving thick rings showing the process of how much of the glass has been drank. All in all this is one good looking beer, extremely clear with ruby highlights and a good looking creamy head, who could say no? Coupled with the aroma this brew's appearance is a Tour De Force.

Nose: Total smoked meat, smoked greasy bacon. Awesome! Much different than the Aecht Marzen, that had much more of a raw smoke to it, this is more of a smoked meat, smoked bacon...makes my mouth water. Sweet salty smoked bacon. Also some malt under there, but pretty background, its noticable if you get past the smokey meat, it supports and does a nice job doing so. Green smokey pine. This is one of the most interesting beers that I've ever put my nose to, definitely the king of Smoked, or Rauchbiers. American micro "smoked" porters and stouts have nothing on this.

Tongue: Great malt backbone supports the smokiness, and smoked greasy bacon. The first thing that hits my tongue was roasted malts and bitterness from them and some charred black malt. Some sweet malt does make it through as well. Smokiness and char linger long after the beer has been swallowed. Believe it or not, hops are here for bittering purposes, even maybe a tinge in flavor as well...can be picked out because they're hops but not distinguished...just hops. At the finish alcohol is present, not big or outstanding, but present...not enough to detract from the flavor profile though. Not smokey in the same way as the Marzen, that was more campfire smoke and general smoke....this is definitely smoked meat. Its so potent I am transported to a smokehouse, a wood structure with full bodied cows, pigs, and whatnot hanging from meat hooks. Really it does transport me there, its like you're there...This is how I imagine a smokehouse would be...all the sensations. Excellent!

edit: Now I'm starting to get some vinous characteristics...this is one serious beer....vinous characteristics akin to Cabernet Sauvignon. This would be a killer beer to cook with, from beer butt chicken, to using is as a marinade, to using it in a burger this beer would be a great one to cook with.

Feel and Drinkability: Body is heavy with low carbonation as befits the bock part of this. Can't ask more from the feel aspect of this, it can't be beat. This is one hell of a drinkable beer, its easy to drink...I love it. The only problem is though I'd like to drink more than one of these, after a while the taste buds become used to the smokiness and smoked meat that it offers and it becomes less potent and mind blowing as I near the end of the bottle. The palate becomes accumulated to it. However this is prolly the fourth or fifth bottle I've had in the span of two months. For a single beer that costs about six dollars thats pretty regular. Definitely give this a try, hugely worth it. I'll always be coming back to this beer...Its a shame that this was my first smoked beer, it being one of the best I'll be disappointed with all others I try....

02-21-2010 20:44:42 | More by becktone
inebrius

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

This brew is an extraordinarily balanced composition of sweet and smoked malts and bittering hops that just begs to be drunk. Pours a nifty umber underneath a fine and lacy head. Nose is a smoked honey-baked ham on xmas morn. The velvety body pins a sublime aftertaste on the buds and I would love to have a stock of Schlenkerla Urbock whenever the mood calls for one.

If you like beer and smoked foods than get your lips on this my friend. Superb!

Cheers to VENOM for the sample!

09-24-2002 05:38:24 | More by inebrius
Denali

Presentation: 16.9 fl oz bottle - no freshness date

Appearance: Dark brown but not opaque with thick tan head that laced nicely.

Smell: Wow is the aroma smoky. Malt aroma tries to come through as well but is dominated by the smoke.

Taste: Right away the smoky flavor comes through. Smoky flavor is meaty, charcoal and wood like. A little malt sweetness peeks its way through as well.

Mouth Feel: Moderate carbonation and slightly syrupy.

Drinkability: Perfect. Its like, I can't believe these flavors, let me have another, and another.

Comments: I am totally blown away by this beer. Totally bold, over the top, and it doesn't pull its punches. The flavors are incredible. I do not want to have this with food because I don't want to disturb the flavors. Heck, this IS food. I can drink this all day and night.

08-23-2005 02:36:22 | More by Denali
rudyarmand

Georgia

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

This past weekend, I attended a German beer festival at Atlantic Station in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Over a dozen other German brewers were represented including many of the top selling brands. I had heard about the smoked beer from Bamberg, Germany, and was very excited to finally try some.

Fortunately I arrived early enough to get my official beer glass and the lines were not too long. It was almost 100 degrees that day and everyone was suffering from the hot summer. I was almost cooking myself, so the smoked beer seemed appropriate. Wow! the smoked Aecht Urbock Rauchbier was sensational! It did indeed smell like meat that had been cooked to perfection over seasoned wood. The taste was wonderful--unlike any beer I had ever tasted. To my surprise, the taste was not overwhelming where you were satiated and wanted only a small taste. The pleasure of the beer continued glass after glass.

I went to Green's package store on Buford Highway the other day and bought a dozen bottles for myself and to introduce to my beer drinking
friends.

I plan to always keep this beer around and plan to visit Bamberg on my annual spring beer tour.

Highly recommended!

08-30-2007 14:07:51 | More by rudyarmand
atomicbeer

New Mexico

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

Been looking forward to this beer for a long time! Pours a bark root beer brown with a big foamy tan head that recedes to a 1/4 inch cap. Aroma is alder smoke big time over a mild beery underpinning. Smooth going down, the adler smoke is not as evident in the taste as the aroma but very very nice indeed mixed perfectly with a caramelly malt and tiny grassy hop flavor. Eminently drinkable. The 16.9 oz is disappearing quickly! Spectacular with pork.

02-08-2014 01:51:15 | More by atomicbeer
Afterburner

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Dark ruby brown with smallish head that retires quickly, leaving no lacework.

Smell: Mmmmm. Strong smoky aroma, of course. Many describe it similar to bacon, but I don't get that myself. It has more of a campfire smell to me. Also some pungent malt. And some phenolic medicinal notes, like camphor.

Taste: The smoke dominates the flavor profile, particularly during the finish. Mid-palate sees hints of malt coughing its way out from behind the clouds of smoke, but they're quickly obscured. The finish is smoke and hops. The smoke character is, again, not like bacon (not salty enough). It's what I imagine smoked maple syrup would taste like, if someone were to bother smoking maple syrup.

Mouthfeel: Thickish, but not full-bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: I love these beers. If I were the sort of person who could settle down and drink just one type of beer regularly, it would be this one.

Overall: This is the King of Smoked Beer, and with good reason. The only smoke beer I've ever had that was better was the peat-smoked Adelscott, from Fischer. I love smoke beers with a passion, and you should too.

05-08-2004 01:18:52 | More by Afterburner
tendermorsel

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

This is my favorite beer. I have reccomended this to many people over the years and people usually fall into two camps. 1) The worst thing I have ever tasted 2) Truly wonderfull and unique beer and drinking experience.

Very dark brown beer with a nice head that disapated quickly. Wonderful smoky smell to this beer. Bacon liquid smoke and BBQ come to mind. This taste is more of the same. Great smokey flavor. This beer is extremely easy drinking and quite refreshing. A wonderful change of pace from all of the extremely hopped American beers and other styles with tons of additional flavorings and ingredients. This is a true testiment to the Bavarian purity laws. Smokey but extremely crisp and clean.

Also this beer cooks very well. I made a excellent batch of Chili with this beer.

12-26-2006 06:32:25 | More by tendermorsel
mhewes

Colorado

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Had this on tap in Bamberg

A : It was a nice dark brown with a good head

S : BBQ, bacon, smoked pork, heaven.

T : The only way to describe it was liquid bacon. Really rich. Also, lots of smoke flavor.

M : Rich, creamy, meal in a glass

D : I loved this beer and wish I could easily get it on draft here. I've had it in the bottle but that in no way compares to the goodness on tap.

06-05-2008 14:32:21 | More by mhewes
PatrickJR

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

This is one hell of a beer.

A - Clear, but a very dark brown. A finger, slightly less, of off white foam rises. The retention is moderate, falling to a thick collar. There's actually quite a bit of lacing.

S - Smoky, but amazingly complex. BBQ and mesquite flavors come to mind. Oak, sausage, BBQ potato chips, even a touch of brown sugar. This couldn't get any better.

T - All the smoke and mesquite from the nose are present, but instead of dominating, they ride a wave of wonderfully sweet malt. Spicy flavors kick it at first, reminding me of coriander, cumin, red pepper, and even a touch of garlic. The sweetness takes over with rich molasses notes and a healthy dose of what seems like vinegar. The finish is full of the actual smoke and wood notes, leaving a pleasant aftertaste. This stuff is like liquid barbeque sauce.

M - Medium bodied, quite creamy, very substantial for a lager. Carbonation is low but this works perfectly.

D - For a beer that's this far off the beaten path, this is pretty damn drinkable. I'm already looking forward to having another one before too long. Though I've enjoyed my other two experiences with Aecht Schlenkerla (the Marzen and Weizen) this one broke new ground. It wasn't simply a thin beer with smoke overtones, it was an entire symphony of cohesive flavor.

Highly recommended.

09-12-2008 07:44:55 | More by PatrickJR
TexIndy

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Got as an extra from johnnnniee - many thanks...and it completes my Aecht trilogy! Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but a winter seasonal so either very fresh or a year old. Was a dark mahogany color. Had a two finger beige head that settled into a thin foam covering and a thick collar.

The aroma was heavy on beechwood smoke along with smoked meat. Very comparable to the marzen version and much better than the weizen version. For a rauchbier, this may be perfection. The taste followed the aroma with the meaty taste kicking in more. Mmmm...liquid meat. Great liquid smoke finish. Mouthfeel was creamy with low to moderate carbonation. Nice smoky after-taste.

Overall, this is the classic rauchbier. I would rank just above their marzen and way above the weizen. Most highly recommend especially if you want to try the rauchbier style - might as well start at the top. For me, I love the style but the meaty aroma and flavor would be too much after one so this is an every couple months style. When I want to have a rauchbier this one will jump to front of mind for sure. Rotation - not avail in TX so got as an extra. If avail here, I'd have every couple months. As-is, keep trading for it. Definite on-tap if I can find it.

12-06-2009 03:04:50 | More by TexIndy
taez555

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer poured a rather clear dark ruby red brown with a samll but thick white/tan head.

The nose was simply amazing. Smoke, meat, molases, wood, some slight hints of spice. Basically the best way to describe it is that it smells like a cross between a beefstick and smoked gouda.

The taste is even more interesting. You'd think with the nose it'd knock you over with the meat taste. But... it actually starts off very malty instead. Roasted malt, slight chocolate, dark sugar, molases, and a nice even bitterness. Light carbonation. Medium bodied. Simply a nice even dark beer taste. But then as the beer continues across the tongue the meat and smoke flavors hit you. Meaty and smokey. Just like the nose. Smoked gouda or a beefstick. Very unique.

It ends with a very smooth hop bitterness complimented by the smoked meat flavor.

You either love this beer or hate it. Maybe not the most vegatarian friendly tasting beer. Simply though, it is the best of it's style. A perfect balance of all the flavors, with a nice sepperation too. Almost as you're drinking a fine french bordeaux, but of smoke and malt.
A must try if you like smokey beers.

Be careful, a good burp might bring the flavor back for up to a few hours after trying this beer. ;-)

08-07-2003 08:04:32 | More by taez555
PaintballDad

Utah

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

In my adventures and travels 5 years ago I came across a small town in Germany named Bamberg I was there with the 173rd Airborne this town is know for its exceptional smoked beers. Now at first you might think smoking a beer sounds crazy but let me tell you have a big old plate of jager schnitzel with a few of these.... so heavenly... I'm not going to go into detail about this beer but I must tell you its is a must for any beer connoisseur for the sheer experience.

03-04-2010 22:46:18 | More by PaintballDad
cocojoe

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Dark dark brown. Creamy tan head.

S: Clean, oaky bacon smoke. Dark toasty quality. Sweet and creamy.

T: Creamy, nutty, toasty front. Smoke is still present and delicious. Finishes a little more dry, and slightly roasty.

M: Creamy, clean medium body.

O: Really delicious. Not as sweet as I recall the Marzen being. Incredible smoked beer. Really gives smoked beer an incredible name. Really warming without being to sweet/high in alcohol. Love this.

12-31-2012 11:20:11 | More by cocojoe
hustlesworth

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

closing out smokefest '09

A- beautiful clear deep maroon brown and streaks of golden with an equally beautiful head that resembles cinnamon ice cream. retention, astounding. lace, wispy and delicate. like swiss cheese from the outside but with a firm skin on top. looks better than most non-smoked members of the bock family i've seen.

S- as for the aroma, i expected to be completely demolished by smoke but instead i'm met with a captivating balance of smoky and sweet. i mean hog-on-the-fire smoky and maple sugar + orange juice sweet. like some sick ass glaze on a ham. smoke does not overpower the malty aromas, caramel, lightly roasted, and nicely metallic. very herbal in the nose as well and i could stray from the euphemism of campfire, etc and liken it to something spicier and more exotic. canned chilis in adobo sauce also definitely come to mind. the aroma also calls to mind the aroma of wood smoke and hot metal and warmth and comfort of a house with a wood-burning stove.

T- the roasted malt and smoke flavor pair so well together it's hard to say anything at all. sweetened notes of vanilla and maple sit beneath a gliding blanket of smoky-sweet malt and a deep robust underlying roasted bitterness with the familiar acidic cocoa and mild coffee flavors. hop flavor is firmly situated from start to finish, but the hop bitterness may go unnoticed through the balancing sweetness, and roasted and smoke bitterness. as the brew warms, the fruity caramel and tart flavors of not-so-deeply roasted malt emerge with a fresh woodsy earthiness, soil, clay, and mineral water. seemingly infinitely complex, so many words, yet all these aechtbiers seem so mysteriously indescribable. i've never had a rauchbier from another german brewery and i don't know that i'd even care to after these. finishes out with a trifecta of smoke, sweet/fruity/roasted malt, and herbal hop flavor. an exquisite balance and possibly one of the most ridiculously great beer experiences ever.

MF- perfect carbonation is hard to describe, but when you know, you know. you know? i wouldn't change a thing. bubbles are tight, mellow, and just enough to add a tickling edge to the moderate and drying body. nothing plush or syrupy here, not creamy, not rich. it feels like the leather on a football and i couldn't imagine it to be any better. the smoke is drying, the malt is coating, the alcohol seems to tan my cheeks, and the tannins, well, they just add to the fun.

D- how do i get this in my bar? and who is the local distributor? i've had 3 beers from this brewery and i know, i KNOW that when i get a bottle of the marzen i will have an immediate stiffy. like sushi, if one can get over any taboo that may be associated with this style, squash any fear or apprehension, it will ultimately result in one of the most pleasurable drinking experiences life has to offer. not a session beer for me, but one hell of a beautiful thing.

12-08-2009 19:30:02 | More by hustlesworth
acevenom

Louisiana

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured into a glass mug. Pours dark brown with a light tan head. There is some visible ruby colored light visible along the edges of the glass. The head retains very well. The smoked malt hits the nose right up front and it's quite prominent. It's that nice campfire smell and it's bready. The smoked malt hits the nose right up front and it's quite prominent. It's that nice campfire smell and it's bready. The body is medium to full with adequate carbonation. The beer is smooth and creamy. The drinkability is very high. This is a most excellent beer.

10-14-2012 03:45:10 | More by acevenom
IceAce

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours the color of newly varnished mahogany and smells like a freshly opened can of Blue Diamond almonds...the BBQ style. The nose is communicated through a tight, almost creamy full-finger collar of foam which leaves a dense lace in its wake.

Entry consists of a snoot full of soot as the smoky aroma attacks the olfactory. Mid-taste, if concentrated upon, sports a doppel-like dose of roasted malt centered on the rear of the tongue supported by low-lying carbonation. I found this taste by exhaling as I siped in an effort to keep my sense of taste from being blown away by this German version of Liquid Smoke™.

Continuing to exhale as I sipped provided a glimpse of hop bitterness before I became overcome (again) by smoke as this delectable Urbock fades away like a campfire slowly dying out in the wee hours of the morning. The residual taste in my mouth is almonds...the BBQ ones...I swear.

04-28-2005 07:08:51 | More by IceAce
DerBayer

Germany

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Another olympic beer to be added - i like all the other schlenkerlas but this is made for the gods or maybe by them.

Urbock is arguably the style that has been devised by the gods - possibly Zeus himself - to be smoked on open fire and served to me.

I have nothing to add chaps other than get some!!!

06-29-2010 22:55:39 | More by DerBayer
beergoot

Colorado

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Clear, dark reddish-brown body with a nice head. Heavenly aroma (for a smoked beer): charred wood; charcoal; deeply smoked sausage. Outstanding oily smoked flavors infused with a richly roasted malt character; nice bitterness and sweetness throughout, too. Medium-heavy body; rich and chewy.

I'm a big fan of smoked beers, and this beer is one of the premier examples of what a strongly smoked beer can be. The beauty of this particular beer is that the undeniably smokey flavor and smell can be so well-tamed and balanced with the other malt and hop notes (primarily the malt). Yes, it is definitely about the "rauch", but there is so much more with this beer, and so you get some honest balance and complexity with the style. A deservedly prime example of the best of this type of beer and well-worth the experience.

11-21-2012 03:05:23 | More by beergoot