Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros

Acforster2, Dec 21, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -72.2%

Let’s see, where do I begin?
....Appearance... Nice chocolate brown with tan head and good lacing
...Aroma..like the time a house burned in our neighborhood, and the wet, damp, smoky smell afterward
...Flavor...drinking the runoff from that fire
...Palate...cook a steak extremely well done, throw out steak, eat charcoal..that’s it

Try as I might, I could not finish this.

THIS CRAP WAS HORRIBLE!!

kimcgolf, Jul 09, 2006
1.25/5  rDev -69.7%

Dayman766, Jan 03, 2014
1.38/5  rDev -66.6%

Purchased in 12/2010 Prague, pivotéka časy.Pravděpodobně-mean I do not like this style of beer, awful bitter taste. I bought 0.5 liters and I drank only 0.1, I had to dump the rest. I'll have a bitter beer, but this is extreme. RECOMMENDED PSPil am from the same brewery as weizenbock and I enjoyed it

CarfiCZ, Jan 16, 2011
1.7/5  rDev -58.8%

Bottle: solid brown 500mL bottle, nice German label.

Appearance: nice, almost jet black with chocolate brown highlights. I can't even see the carbonation through the thick body.

Aroma: woah, that's different. Before I judge this beer, I'd like to say that I haven't had a proper rauchbier before. Smells of off meat, smoke and rot.

Taste: flavour across the palate follows the nose - tastes of rotting meat, smoke, rancid bacon and cigarette stubs.

Aftertaste: all of the flavours linger for a quite a time, which was... pleasant.

Mouth feel: though I don't like the beer (I think purely because I am not used to the style), I will admit that the thick body and low carbonation works beautifully well to carry the flavour across enormously.

Overall: I think that once I get used to Rahcubiers and smoked beers in general, I would have to admit this is a good one. I'll have to try a few less intense ones first and try this one again some day.

SmashPants, Dec 08, 2012
1.73/5  rDev -58.1%

I asked the guy at the store what he had that was unique and different. Wow, did I get that!

Hmm.. I opened the bottle not knowing what to expect.

It's a really deep, dark color. I was ready to be impressed.

It has a smell that screams "Oscar Mayer Bacon".

It poured with very little head. Than it tasted just like it smelled... and the after taste; just too overbearing to be called good or enjoyable.

No lacing.

99% went down the drain. They should leave this brew in their 700 year old cellar.

Maybe I should just go back to APA's or IPA's

KenC, Jan 26, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -57.6%

Gregg_Kawakami, Jun 15, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

07/16/05- Purchased at a Sonoma wine shop in Sonoma, CA

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into a 24oz glass mug.

Appearance- Black pour with a small 1/2 inch head and minor lacing.

Smell- Cured bacon. Make that burnt cured bacon. Very undesireable scent for me.

Taste- The scent does not lie. Basically a cocktail of liquid smoke, charcoal and bacon that has been marinated in sea salt and salt in a frying pan on high for a whole day.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel was perfectly fine. Lower carbonation and an easy swallow.

Drinkability- Well, this was my last attempt ever I think at a Rauchbier. I wanted to go out in good fashion by trying a highly rated one. This proves that Rauchbiers or smoked beers are not my cup of tea. I wanted to give it good makrs, because you are supposed to rate accoring to style, which this one hits dead on. But I just can't. If you like smoked beers, go for it, it's all yours. An aquired taste to be sure.

GClarkage, Jul 17, 2005
1.8/5  rDev -56.4%

Acquired via trade. The last Smoked beer I had was the Alaskan Smoked Porter. Damn that was a good beer. This? Not so much. The beer is a nice dark brown color with a medium beige head and thin lacing. The aroma is equal parts ashtray smoke and Purina Beggin’ Strips. Medium-bodied with a very smoky character, as a matter of fact it dominates everything else in the beer. The finish is more of the same. I think my wife’s question of why I smelled like a cigarette (I don’t smoke) after drinking it about sums it up. It’s just too much.

Dogbrick, Oct 05, 2004
1.93/5  rDev -53.3%

I love smoked meats, the smell of smoke. I own a smoker and get grilling quite often. So naturally i thought smoked beer! that sounds great! wrong. Ladies and gentlemen this is the first beer i have ever, EVER! poured down the drain. smelled good though, smoky

erikeifert, Dec 11, 2007

jiffymon, Apr 16, 2013

jmathis, Jun 22, 2014
2.08/5  rDev -49.6%

Certainly, as Jason so elloquently stated, this style of brew is an acquired taste. To be sure, I have yet to acquire that taste, for whatever reason. Extremely smokey, with just a minor hint of background sweetness and malt. I could not get the idea out of my head that I was french-kissing a dirty ashtray... I will try this style again, just to make sure I am not missing something.

Prosit!

goindownsouth, Oct 08, 2004
2.17/5  rDev -47.5%

Rauchbier, not my thing. Looks ok, deep brown, neat little free flow carbonation. Smells like bad beef jerky and soy sauce.

Taste = meat juice + malt. Actually, that would suffice for the review.

Mouthfeel, if you don't enjoy the taste, its hard to enjoy whatever complexities may be evidence from throwing a roasted pig or something into the boil. Drinkability, this is damn challenging.

Beerandraiderfan, Jan 30, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -45.5%

BluesDaddy, Jul 04, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -45.5%

KimenTshom, Oct 14, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -41.9%

Wow, this is definitely an acquired taste! (One that I don't think I'll want to acquire...) If you like hanging out in smokehouses, you might like this beer, but for me, it was like being beaten over the head with the predominant smoke flavor.

It poured a clear dark maroon, with a tan head. Smoke was the main aroma, with a touch of malt sweetness. Tastes were SMOKE, kielbasa, and a wee bit of malt. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. Finish was (surprise, surprise) SMOKE!

Next time I want a smoked beer, I'll go for the Stone Smoked Porter. This one is more like a liquified smoked sausage, or drinking the water you just put out the campfire with...

WaltTrombone, Feb 07, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -40%

Appearance: Deep, rich, dark brown. Very little head apparent when poured. Slight light penetrates the galss & gives a reddish apearance. Medium carbonation.

Aroma: Very smoky with slight hints of malt. More smoky than I was expecting. You can smell it from a few feet away like your glass was just on fire! Slightly sweet smell detected too...

Taste: Very sweet with slight smokiness. The smoky flavor is not as apparent in the flavor as in the aroma. Very solid malt palette. Rich caramel & burnt toast. Clean finish with ever so slight hop balance.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation (although looked more carbonated when poured). Slightly cloying but finishes fairly clean. Quite thick....

Drinkability: Medium-low. A bit thick for more than 1 small serving. A good experience, but not overly drinakable after one.

JMD71, Jun 22, 2006

atlbravsrno1, Today at 01:11 AM

Sailracer, Mar 18, 2012

drummermattie02, Jul 03, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -38.7%

Notes from last night (8/10). 500ml bottle in to a pint glass last night.

A- Beer itself is dark, dark brown. Poured with a small off-white head.

S- Intense smoke. All I could think of was bottled Liquid Smoke. Some bacon fat notes as well.

T- Just a huge dose of intense woody smoke. Again I couldn't shake the association with the smell of Liquid Smoke. The smoke dies off pretty quickly, but it was so intense I didn't taste any of the other flavors that might be there. Bitter, and no sweetness at all. Finishes pretty clean.

M- Medium bodied.

D- I opened this on a day I grilled a beef tri-tip roast for optimal tasting conditions, but I still couldn't handle this beer. I only made it 3 or 4 sips in before moving on to something else. The smoke flavor was so strong that it overpowered anything else. The similarity to Liquid Smoke didn't help at all either. It was much smoother than I thought it would be so if I was really in the mood for a nice cold glass of smoke this would probably be what I would drink. Obviously this isn't a style I have learned to appreciate yet, but I do see how someone might enjoy this.

misinformed, Aug 12, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

First off, I'd like to say this beer has me excited but also scared as shit! A very intense style, if not the most intense beer style.

Dark deep amber tobacco color into the glass with excellent head retention. Sticking everywhere!

Holy shit, smells like a smokehouse where a shit ton of pork is being roasted over wood fires. This is intense! Puts a smile on my face.

Roasted toasted bacon, smokehouse smoke with some smoke sauce over smoke. Jesus, this is insane.

Could not finish the bottle - just too intense for me, as this is my first true smoke beer. I will be sure to revisit this one after acquiring a taste for rauchbiers.

Picked this up at total wine for about $4.

hoptualBrew, Sep 17, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours thick and brown with a little bit of clarity; the head is small to nonexistent. As soon as this beer was opened, the entire apartment started to smell like smoked sausage, smoked ham, smoked bacon, and pretty much every other smoked meat in existence. If I really stick my nose in the glass (and God, is that a horrible thought), I can make out some roasted malts.

Tastes exactly like it smells, massive, overwhelming smokiness with some roasted malt character. German hops show up late-palate as a lingering bitterness that balances out the smokiness. Mouthfeel is comparable to road tar.

I actually liked this beer-- for the first four sips. I could even imagine it pairing reasonably well with a (non-smoked) meat.

Somewhere there is probably an old German man who puts away six of these with dinner. He is a much, much bigger man than me.

kajerm, Apr 24, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -37%

Sorry beer peeps, I just don't get the smoke beer-thing. Looked nice, a dark brown with a small head. Aroma was a sweet and potent smokiness. I gave it the benefit of the doubt as I really like smoked meats in general. Unfortunately, the smoke flavor was just too much for me. I definitely don't want it as part of my beer. I get that a lot of people might enjoy these, not me. Looked like a decent beer, mouthfeel was pleasant but that overpowering smokiness was just a killer.

BVukelich, Dec 18, 2013