Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
Acforster2

12-21-2011 12:35:07 | More by Acforster2
kimcgolf

Georgia

1.15/5  rDev -72.2%

Let’s see, where do I begin?
....Appearance... Nice chocolate brown with tan head and good lacing
...Aroma..like the time a house burned in our neighborhood, and the wet, damp, smoky smell afterward
...Flavor...drinking the runoff from that fire
...Palate...cook a steak extremely well done, throw out steak, eat charcoal..that’s it

Try as I might, I could not finish this.

THIS CRAP WAS HORRIBLE!!

07-09-2006 11:48:38 | More by kimcgolf
Dayman766

1.25/5  rDev -69.7%

01-03-2014 04:50:33 | More by Dayman766
CarfiCZ

Czech Republic

1.38/5  rDev -66.6%

Purchased in 12/2010 Prague, pivotéka časy.Pravděpodobně-mean I do not like this style of beer, awful bitter taste. I bought 0.5 liters and I drank only 0.1, I had to dump the rest. I'll have a bitter beer, but this is extreme. RECOMMENDED PSPil am from the same brewery as weizenbock and I enjoyed it

01-16-2011 18:44:56 | More by CarfiCZ
SmashPants

Australia

1.7/5  rDev -58.8%

Bottle: solid brown 500mL bottle, nice German label.

Appearance: nice, almost jet black with chocolate brown highlights. I can't even see the carbonation through the thick body.

Aroma: woah, that's different. Before I judge this beer, I'd like to say that I haven't had a proper rauchbier before. Smells of off meat, smoke and rot.

Taste: flavour across the palate follows the nose - tastes of rotting meat, smoke, rancid bacon and cigarette stubs.

Aftertaste: all of the flavours linger for a quite a time, which was... pleasant.

Mouth feel: though I don't like the beer (I think purely because I am not used to the style), I will admit that the thick body and low carbonation works beautifully well to carry the flavour across enormously.

Overall: I think that once I get used to Rahcubiers and smoked beers in general, I would have to admit this is a good one. I'll have to try a few less intense ones first and try this one again some day.

12-08-2012 09:14:21 | More by SmashPants
KenC

1.73/5  rDev -58.1%

I asked the guy at the store what he had that was unique and different. Wow, did I get that!

Hmm.. I opened the bottle not knowing what to expect.

It's a really deep, dark color. I was ready to be impressed.

It has a smell that screams "Oscar Mayer Bacon".

It poured with very little head. Than it tasted just like it smelled... and the after taste; just too overbearing to be called good or enjoyable.

No lacing.

99% went down the drain. They should leave this brew in their 700 year old cellar.

Maybe I should just go back to APA's or IPA's

01-26-2011 03:00:46 | More by KenC
Gregg_Kawakami

Hawaii

1.75/5  rDev -57.6%

06-15-2013 08:05:27 | More by Gregg_Kawakami
GClarkage

1.8/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

07/16/05- Purchased at a Sonoma wine shop in Sonoma, CA

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into a 24oz glass mug.

Appearance- Black pour with a small 1/2 inch head and minor lacing.

Smell- Cured bacon. Make that burnt cured bacon. Very undesireable scent for me.

Taste- The scent does not lie. Basically a cocktail of liquid smoke, charcoal and bacon that has been marinated in sea salt and salt in a frying pan on high for a whole day.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel was perfectly fine. Lower carbonation and an easy swallow.

Drinkability- Well, this was my last attempt ever I think at a Rauchbier. I wanted to go out in good fashion by trying a highly rated one. This proves that Rauchbiers or smoked beers are not my cup of tea. I wanted to give it good makrs, because you are supposed to rate accoring to style, which this one hits dead on. But I just can't. If you like smoked beers, go for it, it's all yours. An aquired taste to be sure.

07-17-2005 22:53:10 | More by GClarkage
Dogbrick

1.8/5  rDev -56.4%

Acquired via trade. The last Smoked beer I had was the Alaskan Smoked Porter. Damn that was a good beer. This? Not so much. The beer is a nice dark brown color with a medium beige head and thin lacing. The aroma is equal parts ashtray smoke and Purina Beggin’ Strips. Medium-bodied with a very smoky character, as a matter of fact it dominates everything else in the beer. The finish is more of the same. I think my wife’s question of why I smelled like a cigarette (I don’t smoke) after drinking it about sums it up. It’s just too much.

10-05-2004 17:49:34 | More by Dogbrick
erikeifert

1.93/5  rDev -53.3%

I love smoked meats, the smell of smoke. I own a smoker and get grilling quite often. So naturally i thought smoked beer! that sounds great! wrong. Ladies and gentlemen this is the first beer i have ever, EVER! poured down the drain. smelled good though, smoky

12-11-2007 04:50:23 | More by erikeifert
jiffymon

04-16-2013 20:44:04 | More by jiffymon
jmathis

06-22-2014 20:51:34 | More by jmathis
goindownsouth

2.08/5  rDev -49.6%

Certainly, as Jason so elloquently stated, this style of brew is an acquired taste. To be sure, I have yet to acquire that taste, for whatever reason. Extremely smokey, with just a minor hint of background sweetness and malt. I could not get the idea out of my head that I was french-kissing a dirty ashtray... I will try this style again, just to make sure I am not missing something.

Prosit!

10-08-2004 12:24:51 | More by goindownsouth
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.17/5  rDev -47.5%

Rauchbier, not my thing. Looks ok, deep brown, neat little free flow carbonation. Smells like bad beef jerky and soy sauce.

Taste = meat juice + malt. Actually, that would suffice for the review.

Mouthfeel, if you don't enjoy the taste, its hard to enjoy whatever complexities may be evidence from throwing a roasted pig or something into the boil. Drinkability, this is damn challenging.

01-30-2010 20:52:30 | More by Beerandraiderfan

2.25/5  rDev -45.5%

10-14-2012 00:11:36 | More by KimenTshom
WaltTrombone

2.4/5  rDev -41.9%

Wow, this is definitely an acquired taste! (One that I don't think I'll want to acquire...) If you like hanging out in smokehouses, you might like this beer, but for me, it was like being beaten over the head with the predominant smoke flavor.

It poured a clear dark maroon, with a tan head. Smoke was the main aroma, with a touch of malt sweetness. Tastes were SMOKE, kielbasa, and a wee bit of malt. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. Finish was (surprise, surprise) SMOKE!

Next time I want a smoked beer, I'll go for the Stone Smoked Porter. This one is more like a liquified smoked sausage, or drinking the water you just put out the campfire with...

02-07-2004 00:28:23 | More by WaltTrombone
JMD71

2.48/5  rDev -40%

Appearance: Deep, rich, dark brown. Very little head apparent when poured. Slight light penetrates the galss & gives a reddish apearance. Medium carbonation.

Aroma: Very smoky with slight hints of malt. More smoky than I was expecting. You can smell it from a few feet away like your glass was just on fire! Slightly sweet smell detected too...

Taste: Very sweet with slight smokiness. The smoky flavor is not as apparent in the flavor as in the aroma. Very solid malt palette. Rich caramel & burnt toast. Clean finish with ever so slight hop balance.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation (although looked more carbonated when poured). Slightly cloying but finishes fairly clean. Quite thick....

Drinkability: Medium-low. A bit thick for more than 1 small serving. A good experience, but not overly drinakable after one.

06-22-2006 18:53:57 | More by JMD71

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

07-03-2013 15:41:12 | More by drummermattie02
misinformed

2.53/5  rDev -38.7%

Notes from last night (8/10). 500ml bottle in to a pint glass last night.

A- Beer itself is dark, dark brown. Poured with a small off-white head.

S- Intense smoke. All I could think of was bottled Liquid Smoke. Some bacon fat notes as well.

T- Just a huge dose of intense woody smoke. Again I couldn't shake the association with the smell of Liquid Smoke. The smoke dies off pretty quickly, but it was so intense I didn't taste any of the other flavors that might be there. Bitter, and no sweetness at all. Finishes pretty clean.

M- Medium bodied.

D- I opened this on a day I grilled a beef tri-tip roast for optimal tasting conditions, but I still couldn't handle this beer. I only made it 3 or 4 sips in before moving on to something else. The smoke flavor was so strong that it overpowered anything else. The similarity to Liquid Smoke didn't help at all either. It was much smoother than I thought it would be so if I was really in the mood for a nice cold glass of smoke this would probably be what I would drink. Obviously this isn't a style I have learned to appreciate yet, but I do see how someone might enjoy this.

08-12-2010 05:44:44 | More by misinformed
hoptualBrew

2.55/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

First off, I'd like to say this beer has me excited but also scared as shit! A very intense style, if not the most intense beer style.

Dark deep amber tobacco color into the glass with excellent head retention. Sticking everywhere!

Holy shit, smells like a smokehouse where a shit ton of pork is being roasted over wood fires. This is intense! Puts a smile on my face.

Roasted toasted bacon, smokehouse smoke with some smoke sauce over smoke. Jesus, this is insane.

Could not finish the bottle - just too intense for me, as this is my first true smoke beer. I will be sure to revisit this one after acquiring a taste for rauchbiers.

Picked this up at total wine for about $4.

09-17-2011 17:34:49 | More by hoptualBrew
kajerm

2.58/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours thick and brown with a little bit of clarity; the head is small to nonexistent. As soon as this beer was opened, the entire apartment started to smell like smoked sausage, smoked ham, smoked bacon, and pretty much every other smoked meat in existence. If I really stick my nose in the glass (and God, is that a horrible thought), I can make out some roasted malts.

Tastes exactly like it smells, massive, overwhelming smokiness with some roasted malt character. German hops show up late-palate as a lingering bitterness that balances out the smokiness. Mouthfeel is comparable to road tar.

I actually liked this beer-- for the first four sips. I could even imagine it pairing reasonably well with a (non-smoked) meat.

Somewhere there is probably an old German man who puts away six of these with dinner. He is a much, much bigger man than me.

04-24-2007 14:59:44 | More by kajerm
BVukelich

Washington

2.6/5  rDev -37%

Sorry beer peeps, I just don't get the smoke beer-thing. Looked nice, a dark brown with a small head. Aroma was a sweet and potent smokiness. I gave it the benefit of the doubt as I really like smoked meats in general. Unfortunately, the smoke flavor was just too much for me. I definitely don't want it as part of my beer. I get that a lot of people might enjoy these, not me. Looked like a decent beer, mouthfeel was pleasant but that overpowering smokiness was just a killer.

12-18-2013 02:35:50 | More by BVukelich
mrasskicktastic

2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

A - A deep brown color with a one finger head that lingers for about a minute before vanishing. No lacing.

S - Burnt hickory. Heavily smoked jerky. Caramel malt. A lot of campfire. This actually smells . . . nostalgic. I kind of like the smell, but it certainly difficult to rate because it is something so bizarre that whatever opinion I will be wrong on account of there being nothing fundamentally right about the concept of this beer. After a few sips the smell is no longer inviting. The nostalgia is replaced by painful memories . . . memories of the last time I sipped the beer.

T - Burnt hickory. A bit of a caramel malt in the foretaste. Mostly campfire in the aftertaste. As in gnawing on blacken logs. There is also some faint hop bitterness. It is strange to say the least. After a few sips it is horrendously univiting. This isn't even an acquired taste, drinking this is like eating campfire ash. It just goes against the natural order.

M - Smooth, thick, somewhat refreshing, although the flavor makes me believe otherwise.

D - Not good. It is worth trying, especially if you are a masochist. I tried to have this with some food (teriyaki pork loin, tortillas with black bean and corn salsa and jalapeno foccaccia) and nothing worked well (the salsa wasn't too terrible, but it was better without the beer). I imagine that the only successful pairings with this would be meat so heavily smoked that the beer's smokiness is overshadowed, but at that point, why not just have different beer? I was scared of this one, I really wanted to enjoy it, but it proved too repulsive. I have to give this to the drain. This is one style that I am glad not to see many breweries imitating in the states.

Note: Everything here, save the drinkability, was reviewed "to style." It's taste was not a "pleasant" smokiness, unlike the aroma.

10-18-2006 03:55:33 | More by mrasskicktastic