Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 664 | Hads: 1,228
1.18/5  rDev -71.4%

Let’s see, where do I begin?
....Appearance... Nice chocolate brown with tan head and good lacing
...Aroma..like the time a house burned in our neighborhood, and the wet, damp, smoky smell afterward
...Flavor...drinking the runoff from that fire
...Palate...cook a steak extremely well done, throw out steak, eat charcoal..that’s it

Try as I might, I could not finish this.

THIS CRAP WAS HORRIBLE!! (410 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -65.3%

Purchased in 12/2010 Prague, pivotéka časy.Pravděpodobně-mean I do not like this style of beer, awful bitter taste. I bought 0.5 liters and I drank only 0.1, I had to dump the rest. I'll have a bitter beer, but this is extreme. RECOMMENDED PSPil am from the same brewery as weizenbock and I enjoyed it (317 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -58%

Bottle: solid brown 500mL bottle, nice German label.

Appearance: nice, almost jet black with chocolate brown highlights. I can't even see the carbonation through the thick body.

Aroma: woah, that's different. Before I judge this beer, I'd like to say that I haven't had a proper rauchbier before. Smells of off meat, smoke and rot.

Taste: flavour across the palate follows the nose - tastes of rotting meat, smoke, rancid bacon and cigarette stubs.

Aftertaste: all of the flavours linger for a quite a time, which was... pleasant.

Mouth feel: though I don't like the beer (I think purely because I am not used to the style), I will admit that the thick body and low carbonation works beautifully well to carry the flavour across enormously.

Overall: I think that once I get used to Rauchbiers and smoked beers in general, I would have to admit this is a good one. I'll have to try a few less intense ones first and try this one again some day. (949 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -57%

I asked the guy at the store what he had that was unique and different. Wow, did I get that!

Hmm.. I opened the bottle not knowing what to expect.

It's a really deep, dark color. I was ready to be impressed.

It has a smell that screams "Oscar Mayer Bacon".

It poured with very little head. Than it tasted just like it smelled... and the after taste; just too overbearing to be called good or enjoyable.

No lacing.

99% went down the drain. They should leave this brew in their 700 year old cellar.

Maybe I should just go back to APA's or IPA's (551 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -55.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

07/16/05- Purchased at a Sonoma wine shop in Sonoma, CA

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into a 24oz glass mug.

Appearance- Black pour with a small 1/2 inch head and minor lacing.

Smell- Cured bacon. Make that burnt cured bacon. Very undesireable scent for me.

Taste- The scent does not lie. Basically a cocktail of liquid smoke, charcoal and bacon that has been marinated in sea salt and salt in a frying pan on high for a whole day.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel was perfectly fine. Lower carbonation and an easy swallow.

Drinkability- Well, this was my last attempt ever I think at a Rauchbier. I wanted to go out in good fashion by trying a highly rated one. This proves that Rauchbiers or smoked beers are not my cup of tea. I wanted to give it good makrs, because you are supposed to rate accoring to style, which this one hits dead on. But I just can't. If you like smoked beers, go for it, it's all yours. An aquired taste to be sure. (973 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -55.6%

Acquired via trade. The last Smoked beer I had was the Alaskan Smoked Porter. Damn that was a good beer. This? Not so much. The beer is a nice dark brown color with a medium beige head and thin lacing. The aroma is equal parts ashtray smoke and Purina Beggin’ Strips. Medium-bodied with a very smoky character, as a matter of fact it dominates everything else in the beer. The finish is more of the same. I think my wife’s question of why I smelled like a cigarette (I don’t smoke) after drinking it about sums it up. It’s just too much. (541 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -49.5%

Certainly, as Jason so elloquently stated, this style of brew is an acquired taste. To be sure, I have yet to acquire that taste, for whatever reason. Extremely smokey, with just a minor hint of background sweetness and malt. I could not get the idea out of my head that I was french-kissing a dirty ashtray... I will try this style again, just to make sure I am not missing something.

Prosit! (396 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -48.8%

I love smoked meats, the smell of smoke. I own a smoker and get grilling quite often. So naturally i thought smoked beer! that sounds great! wrong. Ladies and gentlemen this is the first beer i have ever, EVER! poured down the drain. smelled good though, smoky (260 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -46.4%

Rauchbier, not my thing. Looks ok, deep brown, neat little free flow carbonation. Smells like bad beef jerky and soy sauce.

Taste = meat juice + malt. Actually, that would suffice for the review.

Mouthfeel, if you don't enjoy the taste, its hard to enjoy whatever complexities may be evidence from throwing a roasted pig or something into the boil. Drinkability, this is damn challenging. (392 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -40.3%

Wow, this is definitely an acquired taste! (One that I don't think I'll want to acquire...) If you like hanging out in smokehouses, you might like this beer, but for me, it was like being beaten over the head with the predominant smoke flavor.

It poured a clear dark maroon, with a tan head. Smoke was the main aroma, with a touch of malt sweetness. Tastes were SMOKE, kielbasa, and a wee bit of malt. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. Finish was (surprise, surprise) SMOKE!

Next time I want a smoked beer, I'll go for the Stone Smoked Porter. This one is more like a liquified smoked sausage, or drinking the water you just put out the campfire with... (657 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -38.6%

Appearance: Deep, rich, dark brown. Very little head apparent when poured. Slight light penetrates the galss & gives a reddish apearance. Medium carbonation.

Aroma: Very smoky with slight hints of malt. More smoky than I was expecting. You can smell it from a few feet away like your glass was just on fire! Slightly sweet smell detected too...

Taste: Very sweet with slight smokiness. The smoky flavor is not as apparent in the flavor as in the aroma. Very solid malt palette. Rich caramel & burnt toast. Clean finish with ever so slight hop balance.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation (although looked more carbonated when poured). Slightly cloying but finishes fairly clean. Quite thick....

Drinkability: Medium-low. A bit thick for more than 1 small serving. A good experience, but not overly drinakable after one. (839 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -36.4%

Notes from last night (8/10). 500ml bottle in to a pint glass last night.

A- Beer itself is dark, dark brown. Poured with a small off-white head.

S- Intense smoke. All I could think of was bottled Liquid Smoke. Some bacon fat notes as well.

T- Just a huge dose of intense woody smoke. Again I couldn't shake the association with the smell of Liquid Smoke. The smoke dies off pretty quickly, but it was so intense I didn't taste any of the other flavors that might be there. Bitter, and no sweetness at all. Finishes pretty clean.

M- Medium bodied.

D- I opened this on a day I grilled a beef tri-tip roast for optimal tasting conditions, but I still couldn't handle this beer. I only made it 3 or 4 sips in before moving on to something else. The smoke flavor was so strong that it overpowered anything else. The similarity to Liquid Smoke didn't help at all either. It was much smoother than I thought it would be so if I was really in the mood for a nice cold glass of smoke this would probably be what I would drink. Obviously this isn't a style I have learned to appreciate yet, but I do see how someone might enjoy this. (1,129 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours thick and brown with a little bit of clarity; the head is small to nonexistent. As soon as this beer was opened, the entire apartment started to smell like smoked sausage, smoked ham, smoked bacon, and pretty much every other smoked meat in existence. If I really stick my nose in the glass (and God, is that a horrible thought), I can make out some roasted malts.

Tastes exactly like it smells, massive, overwhelming smokiness with some roasted malt character. German hops show up late-palate as a lingering bitterness that balances out the smokiness. Mouthfeel is comparable to road tar.

I actually liked this beer-- for the first four sips. I could even imagine it pairing reasonably well with a (non-smoked) meat.

Somewhere there is probably an old German man who puts away six of these with dinner. He is a much, much bigger man than me. (857 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -35.4%

Sorry beer peeps, I just don't get the smoke beer-thing. Looked nice, a dark brown with a small head. Aroma was a sweet and potent smokiness. I gave it the benefit of the doubt as I really like smoked meats in general. Unfortunately, the smoke flavor was just too much for me. I definitely don't want it as part of my beer. I get that a lot of people might enjoy these, not me. Looked like a decent beer, mouthfeel was pleasant but that overpowering smokiness was just a killer. (478 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -35%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

First off, I'd like to say this beer has me excited but also scared as shit! A very intense style, if not the most intense beer style.

Dark deep amber tobacco color into the glass with excellent head retention. Sticking everywhere!

Holy shit, smells like a smokehouse where a shit ton of pork is being roasted over wood fires. This is intense! Puts a smile on my face.

Roasted toasted bacon, smokehouse smoke with some smoke sauce over smoke. Jesus, this is insane.

Could not finish the bottle - just too intense for me, as this is my first true smoke beer. I will be sure to revisit this one after acquiring a taste for rauchbiers.

Picked this up at total wine for about $4. (681 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -33.7%

A - A deep brown color with a one finger head that lingers for about a minute before vanishing. No lacing.

S - Burnt hickory. Heavily smoked jerky. Caramel malt. A lot of campfire. This actually smells . . . nostalgic. I kind of like the smell, but it certainly difficult to rate because it is something so bizarre that whatever opinion I will be wrong on account of there being nothing fundamentally right about the concept of this beer. After a few sips the smell is no longer inviting. The nostalgia is replaced by painful memories . . . memories of the last time I sipped the beer.

T - Burnt hickory. A bit of a caramel malt in the foretaste. Mostly campfire in the aftertaste. As in gnawing on blacken logs. There is also some faint hop bitterness. It is strange to say the least. After a few sips it is horrendously univiting. This isn't even an acquired taste, drinking this is like eating campfire ash. It just goes against the natural order.

M - Smooth, thick, somewhat refreshing, although the flavor makes me believe otherwise.

D - Not good. It is worth trying, especially if you are a masochist. I tried to have this with some food (teriyaki pork loin, tortillas with black bean and corn salsa and jalapeno foccaccia) and nothing worked well (the salsa wasn't too terrible, but it was better without the beer). I imagine that the only successful pairings with this would be meat so heavily smoked that the beer's smokiness is overshadowed, but at that point, why not just have different beer? I was scared of this one, I really wanted to enjoy it, but it proved too repulsive. I have to give this to the drain. This is one style that I am glad not to see many breweries imitating in the states.

Note: Everything here, save the drinkability, was reviewed "to style." It's taste was not a "pleasant" smokiness, unlike the aroma. (1,853 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -33%

Pours a deep and dark brown with significant creamy tan head which rapidly dissipates, leaving a good film and lacing. Smells of sweet malts and smoke, lots and lots of smoke. The flavor starts with initial thinnish smokiness, develops some brief, but tasty malt sweetness, and builds into a solid wall of chewy smoked-sausage flavors. A thick and chewy medium-heavy body compliments the flavors.

This was a frustrating beer for me. The all-too-brief sweet malt flavor and chewy texture made me want more, but the incredibly heavy liquid-pork flavors that dominate and finish the beer made it very difficult for me to get through the bottle. A taste I'm not sure I care to acquire. (684 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -33%

Definitely an acquired taste. Very intense smoked aromas, followed by an even more intense smoke taste; pungent. Dominating smoky flavor doesn't allow for additional tastes to be realized. Drinkers of this beer pursue as a love/hate relationship, there are no medians. The drinkability gets a 1.5 I could be more objective but I'm giving that rating solely on preference. (371 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -31.6%

Appearance: This beer has a nice, rich brown color. The head on it is pretty low, with small watery bubbles. There is little to no carbonation.

Smell: This beer has a strange combination of smoked and sweet - the urbock's sweetness is really coming through more than I thought from a smoked beer. Still the nose of smoked cheese is present.

Taste: This is a strange beer on the palette. It seems to really focus a ton of its flavor on alcohol and smoke - even though the ABV is not that high. It is almost a bit curious how this beer can showcase this much alcohol. Still, the flavor seems a little one dimensional - needs more to round it off.

Mouthfeel: This is a very thick beer - like combining a barley wine with flour. Its definately for sipping. One taste does fine to fill up the mouth.

Drinkability: I'm going to say that this is not one I'll often return to. It doesn't work as a session beer, and I don't think that is its aim. (950 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours dark, mahogany wood brown with a nice uniform light-tan head. Instant smoky overdose in the nostrils, like walking into a smokehouse. Very malty with taste is pure essence of wood grilled beef jerky. Hard to get over the thick smoke, but when paired with some sharp cheddar I changed my tone a bit. When I say "paired with sharp cheddar" I actually meant chased the fucker with four cheese Cheez-Its, but the flavor combination speaks for itself, just works. (464 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This poured a dark and clear tan with fluffy white head. It had an interesting smell like smoky malt and oak. It tasted even more interesting like hickory smoked ham or bacon, with salty roasted malt flavors. It was slightly thick with some carbonation and a smooth yet strong smoky aftertaste. Overall this was extremely unique, like drinking a black bean and ham soup with a porter base. Weird. (396 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours with minimal colorless head and little carbonation into my glass. A very prety dark brown with a tiny bit of red in there somewhere. Whoa- the aroma scares me just a little bit. Smells like that artifical smoke they sometimes add to cheap beef jerkey. Then you taste it and I think I've just snapped into a slim jim; smokiness is the word of the day here; lots and lots of it. I think Jason called the taste like Gouda, someone else said bacon; I really think jerkey and soy sauce. The flavor sticks around for awhile, and I'm not sure I'm happy about it. I really cant detect much in the way of sweetness nor hops. Feels a little thin in the mouth.

So, overall, this was a challenge to taste and a weird one. Not for the faint of heart. This cannot be drunk without food,especially smoky or BBQ foods. It will NOT be for everyone. It does have a flavor that sticks with you and makes you keep taking a few more sips (I guess it's like learning to like blue cheese). But really, I can't imagine finishing what's in my glass, much less having more than one. I can't say it was really for me. (1,099 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

I must say the mere mention of smoke in the description of this one was what drew me in. Very intriguing at first until I took a whiff of it. Extremely strong smell of liquid smoke, which for some may make it unbearable. Very dark brown/almost black in color with very little foam or lacing albeit the glass given to me was much too small for the 0.5 liter bottle. As for taste and mouthfeel, this was my first smokebeer, so I was taken aback by the flavors a bit. If you can get past the intense burnt wood smell, you will notice that the beer itself is rather smooth, malty, and quite crisp. Very light on the tongue yet chewy at the same time if you can believe that. As for drinkability, this is definitely not a session beer, and it should definitely be paired with something grilled on the backyard BBQ. The smokiness would go well with steaks and ribs; its crispness and levity would go well with chicken and pork. Overall though, at $8 a bottle, once and done is enough for me. (985 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -28.6%

A-Pours quite dark. Has the look of cola. Big foamy,yet level head slowly fades. Can hear the crackle of the bubbles popping away. Bits of lacing.

S-At first whiff my first thought was 'Oh god it smells like bacon". Behind the smokey meat surprise is some dark maltiness. Salty and mildly sweet. Smoke prevails here.

T-The smokiness is not as overpowering as expected. I am happy that the smoke is a bit mellower. Not as much bacon as in the nose. A more mild flavor. A bunch of dark sweetness. An almost barbeque flavor too. Unique and a bit enjoyable as well.

M-Medium bodied. Smooth with mellow carbonation.

O/D-Definitely a individual style. Worth a try. I just could never see myself craving a rauchbier. Not my style I guess. Couldn't finish. (753 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

Overwhelmig aroma of wood fireplace at first, then a smoked sausage aroma. No visible head, and no lacing. Taste is very smoky. Cant really discern any other flavor. Lingers on the palatte. Might work with the proper food pairing. Certainly not a drinkable beer in my opinion. Review numbers wil bear in mind that skoked beer probably is not my favorite. (354 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla