1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros

this was my first smokebeer. it was not as dark as i imagined. i used a goblet & there was no head but i dont know if this is because i poured it slow or not. it took me longer than usual to finish this & determined that smokebeer isnt for me although i didnt hate it. mouth feel was lighter than expected not thick like a stout. this beer would probably go well with something from the charcoal grill. this is also my first review.

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Has a Smokey barbecue aroma, with a smooth mouthfeel. I tasted almonds and subtle hops. After trying the Weizen first I was thought that the Urbock would follow suit and be disappointing. Well, I wasn't greatly impressed. I did find this brew to be much smoother and less aggressive in terms of that Smokey flavor. This would go well with a burger or barbecue

3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Poured deep ruby and clear. Medium-sized head is creamy and white in color. Aroma is distincively deep and roasted with sweetish smoked ham-like malts, some ash and a hint of hops. Rich flavor is full of smoked, sweetish malts and the finish is medium bitter. Some sourish, coffee-like roastedness in the finish too. Palate is supersmooth and silky, medium bodied and slick. Fuller and more biter than märzen. Can't say this is my style.

Poured into a Moretti chalice

Beer pours a dark brown with light tan head

smells are of malts as well as burnt firewood.

Taste is nice rich malt, slight coffee and hint of chocolate/cocoa. Aftertaste is a heavy dose of the burnt firewood flavor that I mention above.

This was my first foray into the style of smoked beers. The beer wasn't that bad, but the smoke profile was definetly what you would call an acquired taste. Perhaps if that smoke flavor were more subdued, this would have been a more enjoyable experience, but it was too overpowering for me to be enthusiastic about exploring this again anytime soon.

3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

The sweetest of the Aecht beers. The aroma is sweet as well as smokey. The appearance is a deep maroon brown and the head is smaller than the other Aecht beers. The sweet flavor in this one is similar to molasses. The palate could be a bit thicker. Overall this is the best of the Aecht smoke beers but still very smokey.

3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

500mL bottle (no dates or codes) poured into a weizen glass. Pours a deep ruby brown with a thick khaki head.

Aroma is a combination of Robitussin cough syrup and root beer. I've had a few Schlenkerla rauchbiers, all of which I've really liked - and this is the first one that doesn't smell good to me. There's this cherry syrup aroma I just can't get past.

Taste also has a medicinal quality, but more of a numbing Chloraseptic taste. I've picked this sensation/taste up in other rauchbiers too, and it has to be a function of the smoke - but it has never been so pronounced. Thankfully the cherry syrup characteristic I picked up in the aroma is diminished in the taste, or I might not be able to finish this.

Otherwise, this beer has a nice brown ale/Märzen sweetness after I get used to the beech smoke - medium body, good mouthfeel. The numbing aspect of the smoke is still a little overpowering. The label says that the Urbock is similar to Schlenkerla's Märzen but has a "higher smokemalt concentration and longer maturation" - maybe the smoke is just a little too much for me.

Overall I'm really not sure what to make of this one, and I hate to ding a beer from such a great, unique brewery. But this is definitely not my favorite rauchbier and I can't say I'll be coming back to it. I'm not really enjoying this beer very much.

Note: Given the early responses to this thread http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/4151434 I might give this one another shot.

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

A: Deep brown, with red highlights poking through.

S: Smells of burned bonfire. I also smell some cooked meat.

T: I can only pick up in taste similar to what I smell. Deep bonfire, "woodsyness," as well as cooked meats perhaps sausage or brats.

M/D: Seems very light, and would need to be consumed with the right foods. I just couldn't get into this beer. It was somewhat overwhelming in taste and smell. I attribute that to my lack of exposure to this style. I would like to try again, now that I know what to expect.

3.2/5  rDev -22.5%

My first review, but surely not my first beer!

The first words out of my mouth after my first sip were "sh*t, that's smoky." I wholeheartedly stand by that statement.

Pouring into my mug, this beer is dark as hell. I hold it up and can barely see some light coming through. It pours with a decent amount of light-tannish head.

Out of order, I know, but I took that first little sip before I really smelt it to make sure I didn't spill any. The strong, smoky flavor stayed in my mouth. Bacon?

The smell echoes this smokiness. Kinda... pungent.

The taste got better with time and as the beer warmed up a little bit. Hints of something sweet in there. Caramel? The strong aftertaste mellowed out and it became easier to drink without being overpowered. I still can't help but think of oil right out of a pan of bacon or speck mixed in with beer.

I don't think I've had a smokebeer before, so maybe I just wasn't ready for this but I ended up drinking less than half of it.

Still, an interesting drink. I may even try it again way down the road (perhaps after trying less intense smokebeers?). Especially if I had the right cheese and someone to split it with.

3.2/5  rDev -22.5%

Smokie... Smokie. Looks great, smells, smokie. Taste is good, until the after. If you like smokie beers this one is good for you. I don't prefer it so much. Mouthfeel is alright. Drinkability is no so great because of the smoke. Having said all of that, I do have to give props for this unique beer. I would drink it daily but I did give it decent marks because of the difference.

16.9 oz bottle.
6.5% abv.

Glugs out from the bottle a mostly clear ruby-brown. A good sized off-white head sits atop and lasts for quite some time.
Beef jerky, campfire smoke, and charcoal...man, this stuff is smoky...
Like liquid beef jerky, really...very meaty. I'm a red meat guy, through and through, and even worked as a butcher for a stint in high school & college..but this isn't exactly my cup of tea. I enjoyed it, but smoke beers just don't do much for me. Certainly an acquired taste, but I've yet to "get" this style. Maybe someday I'll come around.
As far as the style goes, I would say this is one of the better smoke brews I've had.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla