Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 676 | Hads: 1,272
3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a dark brown, with red highlights. A large, dense, beige head forms with good retention. Some lace is left behind.
S: Smoked salmon. Sweet toasted malt.
T: Similar to the nose. Smoked salmon/meats are huge and up front. Some sweet and toasted malt.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Not hard to drink, but one bottle is plenty.

Pretty much the same thing as the Marzen. I probably could not tell the difference between the two. This one might have a little more sweet malt, but it is hard to tell. This is a world renowned brewery, and their beers are without a doubt worth a try. I am just not the biggest Rauchbier fan. A must for fans of the style though.

3.54/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Great, dark reddish-brown. Rich head stays with you for the duration of the beverage.

Smell: Smokin' mocha, little beef jerky... Really rich, and more than a little bit odd. Little hoppy at the back end. Believe it or not, this actually works.

Taste: Good... Not a brew I would want to indulge in more than a couple of times a year, but I will enjoy those couple of times. One thing, though... Don't savor this one for too long or she'll start to turn on you. Seriously, don't let this get above 45 degrees. Eat some crackers or something afterwards too, because if you don't cleanse the fuck out of your palate you're gonna be carrying around an aftertaste of tri-tip for the next few hours.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth without sacrificing refreshment value. Malty throughout, with a nice dry finish.

Drinkability: I'm gonna do this again, but not terribly often. This is a very interesting libation that will be reserved for special, and smoky occasions here at Chez Jeff.

3.55/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark red varnish look

S: Intense smoke with malty alcohol notes.

T: Intense smoke, salty bacon taste. You might need some water after drinking this.

M: Not as rich as I thought it would be.

O: I like this beer. I would drink it again. This is a must try if you like smoked rauchbier.

3.55/5  rDev -14%

A: Light brown pour out of the bottle, much darker in the glass. Wispy light brown head with nice lacing.

S: Basically the same smokey, meat-like smell is coming from this as the Marzen. Roasted malts all the way.

T: Not quite as full as I wanted it to be. All smoke up front, all malt at the end.

MF: Light, carbonated well. The beer coats the mouth.

O: Forgettable, wouldn't get it again. It isn't bad, just wanted something different from the Marzen.

3.55/5  rDev -14%

Clearish dark reddish brown color with a small beige foamy head that fades out quickly leaving some good sticky sheets and strings of lace. Aroma is quite unique with a smokey twinge rendering some hints of bacon, bar-b-que sweetness, and wet ashes. Not much else really comes through but the smokened senses which isn't all that bad but would have liked to seen some more complexity within the aroma with some malts or something. Taste is sweet and tangy with a smokey character that adds subdued salty meats, touches of bar-b-que or mustard sauces, charcoal, and jerky. Overall its not really coming across as anything else but smoke for character, which is fine, but I'd like to see an already good beer then add touches of smoke then take a subpar beer and add lots of smoke to cover up the fact that its really not all that good to begin with. And thats what I'm perceiving with this. Feel is lightly creamy with tangyness and quite smooth and close to medium bodied but has some slight watery notions late in the finish. An OK beer to have an occasion but more or less I think I'll use it to marinate and cook up some porkchops or steak with. I think it'll work very well in that department.

3.56/5  rDev -13.8%

This one has a nice cherry-stained wood appearance, clear, with some tan rocky head that leaves a little lacing. Pretty color, better head than the marzen. Smell is ok, some smokiness and some nuttiness, though it is quite muted. Taste is pretty good, some nice charred smoke flavors with some nuttiness and a bit of maltiness in there. My only complaint is that the smoke flavors aren't quite as rich and flavorful as some other rauchbiers I've had--this one flirts with the ashy side of smoke, which I do not like. It doesn't go quite as far on the ashiness as Weyerbacher's Fireside Ale, but it's not perfect. I'm looking for flavors of roasted pork, BBQ, etc. Medium mouthfeel, clean and light on the palate, without moving too fast to get any flavor. Decent drinkability, though the ashiness came out as the bottle came along, making it a bit tougher toward the end.

3.57/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured into a Bruery Tulip.

A: Dark pour with a thin head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving a thin ring around the outside of the glass. Very dark.

S: Mainly smoke. Maybe a touch medicinal in the nose. Smells interesting. I love smokey beers, so I feel right at home.

T: The smoked malt really shines, but I get a bitter/sour effect on the aftertaste. Not sure of an age on this beer, so I hope it isn't old. I know it was shelf stored and not refrigerated, so age could be a problem.

M: A little too thin for my liking. I love the big smokey flavor, but I need more body. Just a touch too watery.

D: Hard to say. I could enjoy the smoke sip after sip, but the aftertaste is wearing on me. I haven't seen any mention of this issue in the other reviews I've read, so I'll chalk it up to this bottle. I would love to try it again, especially from a different source.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

16.9 oz bottle. Pours a dark ruby brown with a creamy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is liquid smoke and BBQ pork with some metallic and DMS notes.

The flavor is vegetal malts and some sugary sweetness with a lot of burnt smokiness. It has a crisp bitter smoky finish that lingers. The mouthfeel is medium with velvety carbonation.

Overall, I love the smokiness that comes through. I don't like the off notes in the nose and taste. I'll have to try this one again sometime.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

I really did not know what I was getting into when I purchased this beer. While browsing at Sam's in Durham, I looked through the German section in hopes of locating a new Bock style to taste. Seeing Urbock on this label, I purchased the beer and took it home. Then I did a little BeerAdvocate research and discovered the characteristics of the rauchbier style. Surprise, suprise! Here are my thoughts on this beer and style (of which I've tried only one).

Nice color; it's a deep dark red with a nice head and lacing that hangs around throughout the session. The aroma is intense: typical Bock elements (sugary and malty) obscured by a heavy hickory smoke. It's hard to get past the smokiness. I find it difficult to discern anything behind the smoke!

The flavor is intensely smokey, with some traditional Bock characteristics. Again, it's difficult for me to get past the smoke, but I can detect sweet, bready malts with some caramel. Very interesting.

This is probably not for me. Perhaps it's just that I don't find smokey things particularly attractive. I'm sure, with some experience and practice, I could learn to feign interest in it, but I doubt I'll give this style much of a chance.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a darkish brown/red without much head. Lacing shows up down the glass. Smell is of smoky meat. Extra smokey bacon was my first thought. Tastes of smoke and a little malt. Has a slight peaty flavor. Really quite smokey. Slight bitter finish. This is my first Rauchbier and boy is it like nothing else. Still not sure if it is a style for me. Drinkability is limited because of the strong smoke. If you like real smokey flavors, I think you would really enjoy this. It was a little too extreme in the smokiness for me but I am glad I tried it.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from bottle into tulip-like glass.

Color was solid dark but against light gave off tints of red that appeared clear. Head was full off-white and fell to a strip. Lacing left leveled rings after each consecutive drink.

Unlike the more campfire Märzen the Urbock was packed with smoked meat - Smoked Ham, hotdog or bacon. Absolutely over the top smokiness - no identifiable malt aromas underneath.

Smoke is present throughout but left to sit for a moment, the malt comes out with a low sweetness that helps balance the flavor. Smoke wins on aftertaste but is not hard to handle with food.

Nothing bad with mouth-feel, pretty smooth medium body. An easy drink.

I think the smoke is a bit much in this guy, more of a novelty experience than enjoyment but again it paired well with food.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

500 mL brown bottle with a distinct shape, served cool into a goblet.

It has a deep brown hue with off-white head. Not really any retention to speak of but a bit of lace is left behind.

Aroma is smokey but not over the top. Like a nice American porter with a hint of smoked malt.

Flavor is a bit stronger than the smell would suggest. It's definately a smoke beer. Good strong malt backbone lends itself to the smoked malts. It's not for the faint of heart but it can be enjoyed under the right circumstances.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

Overall an interesting beer and one that would have totally taken me by surprise if it weren't for Fort Collins Brewery and their Z lager.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

This one is different. They say you love it or you hate it, but I am in the "it's decent" camp.

A: Mostly clear dark brown color with a lasting light tan head and good lacing.

S:Aroma is all smoked ham sandwich. Smoked ham and rye with just a little sweet malt.

T: Virginia smoked ham sandwich on rye. That's probably the closest solid food to it. Interesting. Smoked ham, rye bread, and maybe even cheese against a mildly sweet caramel/toffee malt background. Some mild dark fruit notes

M: Smooth and medium-full on the palate with lingering smokiness. Medium-low carbonation.

D: The smokiness gets to you quickly. Very good overall, but suffers a little bit on drinkability in the end.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

16 oz. bottle. Murky brown color, tannish bubbly head. Dense, foamy head didn't stay long. Charcoal and smoky aromas ease into your nose. Not overwhelming at all. Smooth smoked wood smell just like the Marzen from this style. Taste is more harsh and acidic, not as smooth. The sourness is more pronounced. Big smoky presence all the way through. Slight stirring of the glass revives the head, and releases some smoked wood smells again. Smoky taste lingers more in this one. Hot aftertaste and burbs that could melt butter from this one. A decent beer once a year or so, the other one was much more smooth. Not a beer to guzzle.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance- Dark but not black. Kind of looks like thin swamp water I guess but thats what I was expecting.

Smell- Smells like a campfire. Such a potent, potent campfire smell.

Taste- Same as the smell with a little bit of malty sweetness way underneath. I was shocked at how much this beer tastes (and smells) like a campfire, straight up.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall- Glad I tried it. Before this I had never had a Rauchbier and always wanted to try one. I prob wouldnt spend the money on this one again but its one Id reccomend having under your belt.

3.61/5  rDev -12.6%

A - Black. Hints of brown. Fine head.

S - Smoke. Wet campfire.

T - Up front smoke. But in the background lies sweet malt, toffee, burnt toast, and a moderately spicy bitterness.

M - Very dry. Moderate bitterness.

O - This was a very unique beer. I loved how overpowering the smoke was, but beneath it was a the complexity of a bock. might drink again.

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%

Solid brew that's more flavorful than their Marzen...but still one of those beers that I can't handle much of.
Pours a dark brown color. Just looking at it, there's not a huge difference between this and a porter or stout, however the head is solid white and doesn't retain the color of the beer.
Smell is very complex. Smoke is the immediate and strongest smell, but you can pick out some maltiness and yeast flavor.
Flavor is solid. Because of the extra malt (I'm making a comparison to the Marzen, which I tried earlier) the body is more in-depth. Initially you'll just be thinking..."I'm drinking BBQ sauce," but if you let it linger a little in your mouth, other flavors emerge. Smokiness is still the predominant flavor, but you can taste the beer beneath the smoke. Malty sweetness definfitely helps create a stronger backbone. AS the beer warmed, I was able to pick out oak, cherry, alcohol, and even what I'd describe as worcestershire. Hops are a no-show, but I think it's just because of the overwhealming smokiness.
Mouthfeel actually feels thinner than I'd imagine. I think it's just because with such a bold smokiness, I'd expect something akin to an irish stout.
Drinkability for me is unfortunately low. I like the beer very much, but it's just one of those items I'd like 10oz of, rather than 20oz. It's one of those beers that would make a good one to split at the end of the night, but this is the opposite of a session beer, IMO.

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- A very dark brown with a very quickly leaving white head and a relative low carbonation

Smell- smokey nose with sweet malts trying to fight over it and break through

Taste- A decent balance of smoked beer flavor and sweet sugary burned malts, a pretty good balance of those two flavours, great long finish lasting even for over 20 mins later, even a slight bitter kick in the finish,

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied smooth malty feel

Drinkabilty- To me this is a beer that would be ideal with good spicey food or some great summer bbq food, to me of their three main beers by this company this was by far the best and if I try again it would be this one with food paired up.

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

Had this at Max's during their German Beer Fest. Poured with a little head, but after the initial head was gone, couldn't get it back. No lacing at all.

The smell, wow, am I smelling a beer or a nice bit of smoked meat here? Awesome smells I had here.

Now the taste here was the beer felll flat in my opinion, this being my first "smoke beer" this might be obvious I wouldn't quite like it at first, maybe its an acquired taste. The smokey taste was overwhelming, which for someone who like the style would probably be great, but for me it wasn't so. Along with that came some nice maltness, with a hint of sweetness and bitterness here. The mouth was very full bodied, keep with the smokey theme here(which was good here like with the smell), like a stout.

Easily the most interesting beer I've ever had, I'll most likely give this beer and the style overall another chance, but the smokiness was more then I had bargained with

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

Wow I'ts been a long time since I've noted a beer, I'm sure I need to refine my senses again, this may not be the best, also is my first attempt with a Rauchbier and an Urbock.

Very dark carmel brown with a nice creamy head. Slightly translucent. The head lasts for quite awhile and leaves a bit of lacing. Can't complain too much.
As one would expect there is a strong smoke overtone to the brew. under the smoke is a very roasty malt smell.
Initially very roasty and smokey, after a little more rolling, the beer is surprisingly balanced, a little malt sweetness, and a spice note from the alcohol and hops. In the finish the hops drys it up nicely.
Smooth but possibly a little thin
I am enjoying this one, but I don't think I could do more than 1 or 2, the smoke flavours can get a little old.
Overall I am surprised and might have to try this style again sometime

3.64/5  rDev -11.9%

Got a light? The pour was a darker brown color with amber highlights. A good pour left a foamy head that had limited retention. The nose is interesting with a grainy malt presence that mixes with the smokiness of the beer. The smoke is unique with more of a meaty or jerky like aroma to it. The taste is different from what the nose would indicate. There is a sweet malt flavor upfront with some almost molasses like tastes to it. The smokiness is still there with a more meaty flavor but balances well with the beer overall. A light roasty finish only accentuates the meaty presence. The body is full with a under attenuated feel. The carbonation is light but does leave a smoke finish that is great for a BBQ afternoon in the backyard.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Having not had a rauchbier in awhile, I decided to give this a go.

It has a copper caramel color with a pinky finger head. The aroma is sharp - definitely bacon. A slight roasted malt is there as well, but it's well buried. And this is all the same in the taste.

I really enjoyed the taste. But even this bottle grew tiresome to drink. I think it's just too much smokey flavor.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

A wonderfully dark and very smokey beer, blackish with a foam head. Malted down and average mouthfeel. Hot dog in a bottle. Understated carbonation. To me, over the top on the smoke, I can take more moderation, but appreciation for the craftmanship of what it is.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber with a reddish hue. There is just a layer of off white head.

Smell: Quite smokey, just like I expected. A bit like grilling. There is also some mildly sweet malt in there as well.

Taste: Smoke is the dominant flavor. There is a malty backbone and a bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: The smoke wasn't as intense as I expected and the bitterness was stronger. I would have liked a little more smoke and to dial the bitterness down just a bit. Another solid offering from this brewery.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours deep, deep brown with slight hints of red. Very nice three finger head, tan with brown highlights. The aromas are subtle, hints of smoked, candied fruit. The beer is very smooth. Smoky, raisin like flovors. The beer is not deep with flavor, it seems a bit hollow. The finish is thick, almost like a barley wine. Its a decent brew.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla