Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
SpasmWaiter

kornkid8600

12-08-2011 10:04:04 | More by kornkid8600
guinnessman

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Has a Smokey barbecue aroma, with a smooth mouthfeel. I tasted almonds and subtle hops. After trying the Weizen first I was thought that the Urbock would follow suit and be disappointing. Well, I wasn't greatly impressed. I did find this brew to be much smoother and less aggressive in terms of that Smokey flavor. This would go well with a burger or barbecue

03-06-2005 00:12:47 | More by guinnessman
CuriousMonk

3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Poured deep ruby and clear. Medium-sized head is creamy and white in color. Aroma is distincively deep and roasted with sweetish smoked ham-like malts, some ash and a hint of hops. Rich flavor is full of smoked, sweetish malts and the finish is medium bitter. Some sourish, coffee-like roastedness in the finish too. Palate is supersmooth and silky, medium bodied and slick. Fuller and more biter than märzen. Can't say this is my style.

01-31-2011 15:59:40 | More by CuriousMonk
keithmurray

Poured into a Moretti chalice

Beer pours a dark brown with light tan head

smells are of malts as well as burnt firewood.

Taste is nice rich malt, slight coffee and hint of chocolate/cocoa. Aftertaste is a heavy dose of the burnt firewood flavor that I mention above.

This was my first foray into the style of smoked beers. The beer wasn't that bad, but the smoke profile was definetly what you would call an acquired taste. Perhaps if that smoke flavor were more subdued, this would have been a more enjoyable experience, but it was too overpowering for me to be enthusiastic about exploring this again anytime soon.

01-14-2010 00:53:33 | More by keithmurray
nick76

3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

The sweetest of the Aecht beers. The aroma is sweet as well as smokey. The appearance is a deep maroon brown and the head is smaller than the other Aecht beers. The sweet flavor in this one is similar to molasses. The palate could be a bit thicker. Overall this is the best of the Aecht smoke beers but still very smokey.

11-12-2008 07:21:12 | More by nick76
draheim

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

500mL bottle (no dates or codes) poured into a weizen glass. Pours a deep ruby brown with a thick khaki head.

Aroma is a combination of Robitussin cough syrup and root beer. I've had a few Schlenkerla rauchbiers, all of which I've really liked - and this is the first one that doesn't smell good to me. There's this cherry syrup aroma I just can't get past.

Taste also has a medicinal quality, but more of a numbing Chloraseptic taste. I've picked this sensation/taste up in other rauchbiers too, and it has to be a function of the smoke - but it has never been so pronounced. Thankfully the cherry syrup characteristic I picked up in the aroma is diminished in the taste, or I might not be able to finish this.

Otherwise, this beer has a nice brown ale/Märzen sweetness after I get used to the beech smoke - medium body, good mouthfeel. The numbing aspect of the smoke is still a little overpowering. The label says that the Urbock is similar to Schlenkerla's Märzen but has a "higher smokemalt concentration and longer maturation" - maybe the smoke is just a little too much for me.

Overall I'm really not sure what to make of this one, and I hate to ding a beer from such a great, unique brewery. But this is definitely not my favorite rauchbier and I can't say I'll be coming back to it. I'm not really enjoying this beer very much.

Note: Given the early responses to this thread http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/4151434 I might give this one another shot.

10-16-2011 21:22:35 | More by draheim
kylehayworth

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

A: Deep brown, with red highlights poking through.

S: Smells of burned bonfire. I also smell some cooked meat.

T: I can only pick up in taste similar to what I smell. Deep bonfire, "woodsyness," as well as cooked meats perhaps sausage or brats.

M/D: Seems very light, and would need to be consumed with the right foods. I just couldn't get into this beer. It was somewhat overwhelming in taste and smell. I attribute that to my lack of exposure to this style. I would like to try again, now that I know what to expect.

04-22-2010 00:56:52 | More by kylehayworth
ThirstyH

3.2/5  rDev -22.5%

My first review, but surely not my first beer!

The first words out of my mouth after my first sip were "sh*t, that's smoky." I wholeheartedly stand by that statement.

Pouring into my mug, this beer is dark as hell. I hold it up and can barely see some light coming through. It pours with a decent amount of light-tannish head.

Out of order, I know, but I took that first little sip before I really smelt it to make sure I didn't spill any. The strong, smoky flavor stayed in my mouth. Bacon?

The smell echoes this smokiness. Kinda... pungent.

The taste got better with time and as the beer warmed up a little bit. Hints of something sweet in there. Caramel? The strong aftertaste mellowed out and it became easier to drink without being overpowered. I still can't help but think of oil right out of a pan of bacon or speck mixed in with beer.

I don't think I've had a smokebeer before, so maybe I just wasn't ready for this but I ended up drinking less than half of it.

Still, an interesting drink. I may even try it again way down the road (perhaps after trying less intense smokebeers?). Especially if I had the right cheese and someone to split it with.

01-30-2011 10:36:59 | More by ThirstyH
soupermirl

Mississippi

3.2/5  rDev -22.5%

Smokie... Smokie. Looks great, smells, smokie. Taste is good, until the after. If you like smokie beers this one is good for you. I don't prefer it so much. Mouthfeel is alright. Drinkability is no so great because of the smoke. Having said all of that, I do have to give props for this unique beer. I would drink it daily but I did give it decent marks because of the difference.

03-08-2009 22:55:18 | More by soupermirl
hero27

16.9 oz bottle.
6.5% abv.

Glugs out from the bottle a mostly clear ruby-brown. A good sized off-white head sits atop and lasts for quite some time.
Beef jerky, campfire smoke, and charcoal...man, this stuff is smoky...
Like liquid beef jerky, really...very meaty. I'm a red meat guy, through and through, and even worked as a butcher for a stint in high school & college..but this isn't exactly my cup of tea. I enjoyed it, but smoke beers just don't do much for me. Certainly an acquired taste, but I've yet to "get" this style. Maybe someday I'll come around.
As far as the style goes, I would say this is one of the better smoke brews I've had.

08-21-2006 03:25:55 | More by hero27

Missouri

05-23-2013 12:53:28 | More by kvnstfrd
NCBeernut

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Ruby to brown. Pretty big head on this one that leaves some decent stringy lacing. Smell and taste are all straight woody smoke. Literally a burning campfire in a bottle that completely overtakes anything else that might be in there. Interesting at first but pretty one-dimensional. This is a taste I only want so much of. Smooth chewy mouthfeel though. Drank with my Thanksgiving turkey. I feel like this really needs to be paired with some big pungent cheeses or charred meat.

11-28-2008 04:58:38 | More by NCBeernut
cpn920

3.28/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured dark mahogany/amber with minimal head.

Smells like a fireplace fire. I also got the smell of Skoal chewing tobacco...brings back bad memories when I tried that back in HS and ended up sick as a dog.

Tastes like you would expect, very smoky with a bacon flavor. I had read this in other posts and expected it to be a real heavy beer but it really isn't.

Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Drinkability is very low for me. I'm glad I tried the style but it isn't for me. Based on the taste I'm sure that this is a great representation of the stylye, but again, not for me. Maybe I'll revisit it in a couple years but for now, no thanks.

03-07-2009 14:20:43 | More by cpn920
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: Dark cola-brown. Fine bubbles form a fine off-white head. Retention isn't great.

Smell: Beef jerky or grilled hot dogs. Peat. Toasted marshmallows. Faint coffee grounds. Reminds me of a campfire.

Taste: Heavy smoky flavor with a sweet foundation. Acidic hop-like bitterness, although I am not certain hops are even used in this style.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light bodied, but creamy enough. Moderately chewable.

Drinkability: I don't like this quite as much as I liked the Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen, which I feel was a little bit more complex. Still, this isn't bad and is great for cooking (thanks to pixel for the awesome barbecue sauce recipe!).

06-08-2006 00:37:23 | More by soulgrowl
amatuerbeerguy

Oklahoma

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

This is a familiar one like the marzen brewed by the same people. This one pours out dark ruby, with low head, that does leave lacing

Aroma of smoke with some citrus and some not much of a fruitiness character.

Flavors of smoke with some of what seems to be a bock but it is masked heavily by the smoke. It is clean with some fruitiness and some citrus character. Yet it is hard to distinguish from the smoke.Which is not a bad thing.

Mouthfeel is low carbonation and body, with some lingering smoke character in the aftertaste.

Overall if you do not like smoke beer this is a try, to say you have had, otherwise. If you like smoke beer this is a nice interpretation of one a must have.

11-28-2006 07:58:18 | More by amatuerbeerguy
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

Got a great thick light tan head when I poured it. Dark amber brown color ( smokey?). Couldn't get much to tie down on a specific aroma out side of the smoke. I'm sorry I can't help but but describe this as smoked sausage beer. there was some hop bitterness on the finish but I kept looking for bacon floating in the the beer the smokyness is that strong. I guess if you like that flavor in a beer ( very strong ) you might not mind drinking a few. But not I.

03-27-2004 00:03:22 | More by ybnorml
BeerBelcher

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

I've had a number of Schlenkerla beers before, and this one had a similar salty smoked-sausage flavor that was not unsurprising. Still, this brewery is unique in the world of beer as I know it, nothing else I've had tastes quite like this beer does.

Appearance was a copper-red although it was a bit flat. Aroma was an astringent liquid smoke astringency, and was more of a burning flavor intensity than it was a savory smell. Flavor was coppery and spicy and actually a bit less smoky flavor than I expected. Mouthfeel was a bit flat.

I got this bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

02-17-2008 02:07:23 | More by BeerBelcher
Pahn

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

500ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 2 inch fluffy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving tight, sticky rings of lacing. Pours a semi-translucent dark red and leaves spots and islands of lacing.

Smell: Smoked meat and light, fresh bread, with some darker malts in the background. Whiskey-like booziness comes out of nowhere and works beautifully with the smoke.

Taste: Subtler than expected from the nose or bottle description. Smooth, creamy feel with subtle maltiness. Lots of smoke in the finish. Some cake-like flavor in the aftertaste. Highish back end bitterness.

Throughout the flavor is subtle with a nice smokiness, but unfortunately the flavor is often a bit muddy. Not really coming together for me. A few sips combine the smoke with a really pleasant pastry sweetness, but usually it's bland malt and relatively uninteresting smokiness. Some dreaded band-aid flavor comes out as well, probably from the larger % of smoked malt used in the beer's production (unpleasant and a little pepperminty; doesn't help anything at all).

The best sips are good, but still kind of one note: sort of empty up front with a nice convergence of smoke, deep malt, and fresh bread on top of the big bitterness hit before the smoky aftertaste. Alcohol is hidden well, but it tastes like most of the flavor was also hidden.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied. Nice creaminess, but distractingly low carbonation. Bitterness is good to punch up the flavor, but the low carbonation is a serious problem here...

Overall: Not too impressed. Still has some of the allure of a nice Schlenkerla rauchbier, a beautiful aroma, but problems in the flavor and mouthfeel are pretty inexcusable in comparison to how good their other beers are. I used the word 'subtle' a lot, but that may be generosity.

Pairs okay with (veggie) burgers, but even in that context it didn't really sing.

08-11-2011 04:14:42 | More by Pahn
BierReise

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

This is the third Aecht Schlenkerla I've tried and probably the mildest and most balanced of the trio. Same smoky presence as its brothers but perhaps a little less powerful. Nice brown color with thin but dense tan head. Tastes on the sweet side but a terrific balance overall.

06-01-2003 16:52:39 | More by BierReise