Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 671 | Hads: 1,256
4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I gotta say, I was extremely surprised by this. It was fantastic. Creamy and mildly smokey this beer could make me a fan of the rauchbier after all!

4.75/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best smoked beer I can recall having. A really fascinating, yet quaffable beer. The smell os heavily smoky and intriguing, and the flavor is perfectly balanced between intense smokiness and delicious malty sweetness. Very light carbonation which helps keep the flavors balanced. While many of the smoked beers I've had fall well into the "novelty" category, this one is so smooth and well-balanced that it manages to be an intellectually fascinating beer, while still maintaining status as a relaxing beverage. Fantastic.

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

It has a strong coffee aroma, its dark in appearance. Minimal head. It has crisp first sip then slight bitterness with the smoky flavor. It has a spiciness mouthfeel at the end of every sip.

4.48/5  rDev +8.5%

Look: Moderate head that dissipates within a few minutes. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Smell: Bacon, campfire smoke, burning wood, fat, umami. Delicious, and not outside of the smell of freshly cooked bacon.

Taste: Much of the same. Bacon, smoke, umami. Savory and makes me wish I had a nice steak or pork roast to go along with it.

Overall: I'd been told that this was the 'intense, aggressive' version compared to Heller-Trum/Scherlenka's Maibock, but I think it's just right. Delicious and hits all of the right notes. Absolutely worth picking up.

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into an Ikea glass. Had to ask the lady at the hotel bar if I could borrow a glass and bring it up to my room. She offered me a frosted beer glass and was surprised when I turned it down (gave me a nice chuckle). Ended up with a 50 cent Ikea glass, but it works.

Pours a dark mahogany brown color with a moderate light brown head. Dissipates quickly, leaving a good deal of lacing.

Strong smoky aroma with oak and wood. Smoked sausage.

Taste if smoke and molasses. The notes of meat are still there, but a little subtle now. Molasses has a little bit too much presence in my opinion, and it overshadows the smoky taste that Schlenkerla has mastered. Caramel malt pairs nicely with the smoky flavor.

Medium bodied. Very silky. Low carbonation. Alcohol was a little more present than you'd expect at 6.6%

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY.

This one pours a dark deep brown, with a quarter inch head, and no lacing.

This smells like warm campfire smoke, sweet smoked meat, caramel, and toasted bread.

Even though I don't much like smoked beers, I've found that I like most of the Schlenkerla line. I get some campfire up front, with some honey, molasses, and caramel, and a cured smoked meat thing near the end that's subtle and nice.

This is medium bodied, with a warm and rich mouthfeel, and a lower level of carbonation.

A really nice rauchbier here.

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer is amazing. It's dark but not heavy. Sweet but no sticky. The smoke is there but not over powering. Smells great like a wood after the bon fire.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nice rich dark brown body with decent coverage of off white head
Aroma is like burned granary toast, more appetising than it sounds
smoked malt flavour
good solid feel that isn't heavy going which balances & compliments the flavours
Top smoked beer

4.73/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Dark brown body with a white head with a pinkish light brown head that fades very quickly into a minimal ring.

Aroma: It smells like wood mesquite wood chips. If I was blindfolded I would swear this was a barbeque sauce. It smells fantastic.

Taste: It has this nice sweet caramel flavor right up front but it isn't thick feeling or strong. In the middle to end of the drink the smoke comes out but again it is just enough to give it flavor without being overpowering. The end has this nice bitter slightly herbal bite. This is great. It is a lot like what a nice wood grilled steak would taste like if it was a drink (without the meat flavor). I'm especially impressed with how good this tastes given that it is an import, and that I've waited so long to drink this.

Feel: As I mentioned it has a nice sweetness to the beer but it isn't thick or sticky. It has a medium mouthfeel but edges closer towards the lighter side.

Overall: It's a really fantastic beer. This would be great any time of the year. Even though this is a winter availability, I'm drinking this in the summer and it's light enough that it can be enjoyable when it's hot outside. I highly recommend it, whether you are a fan of smoked beers or not. This just has a great flavor overall. It is a fantastic drinking experience and I will be buying it again.

4.09/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

These beers are serious. I had the marzen before this one and I think the Urbock has a bit more body and more punch to it. It is dark and sublimely smoky. Super velvety flavor that is full of firepit and smoked meats. Strong bacon in the foreground. Overall sweetness throughout and the body is a bit heavy. I can barely finish this bottle, so it gets points off for feel.

Overall just really weird and tasty, but split the bottle amongst friends.

3.76/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Quick review. My first stab at a smokebeer. I'm not sure I was ready for the depth of the smokiness in the flavor profile. This review will be revisited.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: crystal clear; dark brown with ruby highlights clearly visible; 1 finger medium tan head that receded to a thin collar; no lacing;

S: a combination of bacon and charred firewood;

T: follows the nose; moderate bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: for me, this is definitely something to pair with food; I was eating smoked gouda and it was fantastic;

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

The beer had a medium head and a very strong smell of smoke. Surprisingly you can taste the malt through all of the smoke. Although the smoke flavor seemed overpowering you want to keep drinking it because malt and oak flavors balance it out. It is slightly bitter.

Overall a good beer...I will try others from this brewer!

I kept smelling my clothes because I felt as if I had been standing by a campfire!

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

500 ml bottle into a stange glass.

Pours a deep, somewhat opaque brown. Medium head, some lacing. Kind of looks like a nitro right after the pour. Smells like, well, smoke. Like a house or camp fire that was put out a little while ago. But in a good way... Lots of malt, some caramel, a little bit of sulphur before the head dissapates. Tastes at first of malt, but then you're sucking on burnt wood chips. It's smoky, but really well balanced with the malt. Surprised that it's not tasting at all meaty to me. Some bitterness on the back end. Good body, very smooth and crisp.

This is a very evocative beer, that I found really enjoyable. It just kept tasting better as it warmed. Definitely will try some of their other Rauchbiers.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Look: Dark with some head, but not much. Lively
Smell: Malty roastiness, a lot of it, which is extremely fit for a BBQ. Sometimes I can't even identify where the smoked roastiness come from, the beer or the BBQ. There is some fruitiness of the bock.
Taste: Some bitterness of roasted malt, some fruitiness, carbonation, just a bit hoppy.
Body: Medium. Great after taste.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Enjoyed outside next to my fire pit. Pours a cola color with ruby highlights and limited head and lacing. Carbonation bubbles clinging to the glass. To continue the metaphor, it's feel is like that of a flat cola. Intense smoke scent with some sweetness--like a slice of smoked maple bacon. Smokiness continues into the taste. It's as if each sip was infused with smoke. Despite the predominant sweet smokey flavor, I still experienced ample hop bitterness, particularly toward the end of the sip. Spectacular. (9.5)

4.31/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep brown with ruby highlights. Quite attractive. Small light tan head that recedes quickly leaving a ring of bubbles around the glass.

Aroma is initially ham. Very meaty smoke. Campfire as well, but mostly salty smoked meat. Sweet dark fruit from the malts follow. Clean lager character. Little hop aroma. Perhaps some typical herbal noble hops.

Dark fruit mingles with meaty smoke in the flavor. Surprisingly balanced as compared to the smoke heavy nose. Raisiny and toasty malts. Burnt sugar as well. Smoke delivers more woody, campfire notes in the flavor. Bitterness is firm but with little distinctive hop flavor.

Rich and full mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation. Finish is long. Sweet malts, hop bitterness, and smoke linger on the palate.

Smokey, but balanced. As I drink it, different aspects come in and out of focus, smoke vs. dark lager character. Very nice.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

I mean.. It's the strangest beer ever. It's pure smoked meat on the nose, and the taste is salty, smokey dark German ale. Other tasters mentioned smoked salmon. Very odd.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a deep reddish-brown color with a one-inch light tan head. The head faded after a few minutes to about an eighth inch film that left some great lacing.
Smell: The aroma is heavy smoke, with some light roasty sweet malt smells.
Taste: The smoke flavor is right up front, but there's a very nice sweet flavor in the background. It's like taking a nice big bite of sugar cured and smoked ham- wow! There's also some nice caramel and raisin like flavors that sneak up on you
Mouthfeel: Nice body to this beer, it really goes down nice even considering the smokiness. Superb!
Overall: What a great beer, gotta try this one with some good BBQ- can't imagine it could get much better than that.

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

No bottle date

Look - Pours a deep garnet with tan head. Excellent retention and distribution. 4.25 paws.

Smell - Delicious aromas of burnt meat, smoky wood, and the faintest bit of burnt caramel. Cereal malt is present, smells like crispix. 4.5 paws.

Taste - I love this beer, tastes like a wonderfully seared slab of beef. At one point in my life I would have thought that sounded disgusting in a beer, but it is so rich robust and delicious. 4.75 paws.

Feel - Perfect amount of body and carbonation for the flavor profile. 4.75 paws.

Overall - I used to think all rauchbiers tasted like campfires, but my palate has shifted and I must say I love this beer. 4.5 paws.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Deep brown, almost black in colour sporting a very thin frothy head that dissipates to a ring around the edges of the glass.

Nose is like catching the faint scent of a campfire in the distance while munching on a dark-fruit granola bar.

Taste is very similar to the way I described the nose, with a little more fruity/raisin notes. Smokiness is strong but subtle at the same time and provides a little bitter dry feeling on the finish. Very well-balanced.

Smooth almost creamy mouthfeel with thin carbonation but just enough dryness at the end.

4.76/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dark drown with a thick tan head.

Smells like fire, smoke, and wood with a touch of malty sweetness

Taste is initially sweeter than I expected it to be, but the smokiness is definitely there in the aftertaste and nose. Really great balance of flavors for a beer with such a strong smoke character. It's not necessarily complex, but very unique and delicious.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, but full bodied.

This beer is very good and one of my favorite smoked beers, but one of myfavorites in general.

4.71/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a chalice and served alongside smoked ribs!

A = Very dark, almost black beer with mahogany tones. 1 finger of rich tan head.

S = I kid you not, the first thing I get is smoked pork. Smoked meats, charred wood, dark fruit, earthy and roasty.

T = Sweet fire-roasted malts, plums, smoked meats and a charred woodiness. Touch of salt. Hop bitterness is practically nonexistent, but there is a charred, almost ashy charcoal-like bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the malts in this bock-styled beer. I'm not picking up any cheese-like qualities as some other reviews have stated.

M = Full bodied and robust, like liquid BBQ. Very easy to drink. I was expecting this to be a rough style to get used to, but this has blown me away.

O = I like to imagine myself having one of these in a wooden stein as I sit in front of a roaring fireplace in an old world tavern. Rich, decadent and meaty, this is the perfect cold weather beer, and a perfect companion for BBQ and smoked meat. My first example of a rauchbier, I will be searching out more examples of the style in the future.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Yum! Smokey and a little sweeter than their usual release. Best enjoyed in the hallway at the Schlenkerla while sitting at a table and watching the tourists come and go in a great rush!

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I should preface by saying I really don't know much about German beer in general and even less about Rauchbier in particular.

Very dark brown but not quite jet black. Not much head, which goes away fairly quickly. Smokiness is definitely the main event here, both in smell and taste. The nose has some fruit in it, cherry perhaps? Not much fruitiness in the taste, more hints of chocolate one may expect from a dark beer, although the predominant flavour is plenty of salty meat that I presume is unique to this style. But still, loads of smoke from every angle! Mouthfeel is fairly light and crisp.

As a sidenote, I gave a 1/3 to my friend who doesn't usually venture away from pale lager. His first reaction was "wow, it tastes of bacon!" He seemed to like it though, so take from that what you will. Personally I really enjoyed it, although the powerful flavour would make it difficult to get through much more than half a pint in one sitting.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla