Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
rye726

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Nice mahogany color, but not much of a head. The nose has a huge smoked malt presence over sweet malts. Taste is a nice balance of smoke and dark malts. Medium body matches style well. A good exampel of the style. Huge smoke presence. Nice example of the style.

11-30-2008 00:58:49 | More by rye726
NCBeernut

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Ruby to brown. Pretty big head on this one that leaves some decent stringy lacing. Smell and taste are all straight woody smoke. Literally a burning campfire in a bottle that completely overtakes anything else that might be in there. Interesting at first but pretty one-dimensional. This is a taste I only want so much of. Smooth chewy mouthfeel though. Drank with my Thanksgiving turkey. I feel like this really needs to be paired with some big pungent cheeses or charred meat.

11-28-2008 04:58:38 | More by NCBeernut
biggmike

Mississippi

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured a nice brown color with hints of ruby and a small tan head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was pure smokiness. Flavor is dominated by the woody smoke flavor, but a bit of grain and caramel maltiness are detectable. Mouthfeel is of a medium-bodied beer. I found it very drinkable and enjoyed it immensely.

11-26-2008 09:23:54 | More by biggmike
paulthebeerguru

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Schlenkerla Urbock (bottle)
A: snifter. Rich mahogany color, rubyesque. Nice tan head. Good retention and light lacing.

S: wonderful aromas of smoked bacon and some apples.

T: great smoked cured pork, with the sweet urbock apple and pear notes.

M: medium mouthfeel. Great body. Mild carbonation level.

D: all I need is a platter of pulled pork and some sweet BBQ sauce

11-25-2008 18:29:44 | More by paulthebeerguru
tmoneyba

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle.

Poured clear dark brown with a large light brown frothy head that was mostly lasting with very good lacing. Moderate woody smoke malt aroma. Medium body. Medium sweet smoke flavor with a medium bitter finish of moderate duration.

Complex standout beer.

11-20-2008 14:10:11 | More by tmoneyba
adamette

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Served from bottle just like the one pictured here into clean, clear pint glass. $3.99 per bottle at Beverage Warehouse on Mayfield.

A Much like my memory of the Marzen, appearance of a dark brown but translucent body with minimal light colored head which dissapears in about 30 seconds.

S Awesome barbecue smell. I am told that "you either love it or hate it." Count me in as loving it! It really smells like a great glazed barbecued ham. I am sitting here trying to imagine how someone did this. There is some hops and malt there too but wow...the Great Smoky barbecue smell dominates. For that reason (the loss of the glazed ham sensation from the smell and since it is not quite as sweet as I'd hoped) I will not give it a "5.0" for taste but make no mistake...this is a very very good tasting beer. After a few minutes I even detect clove in the aftertaste...very cool.

T Great smoky taste carries over from the smell but the ham/glaze that I smelled did not so much. This is still a challenging and interesting beer but it is little more "campfire" than the Marzen and not as much to my liking.

M Full with that big, smoky taste.

D Really good for such a full tasting beer.

Notes: I can think of little better for a campout in front of a fire. I mean it would be a bit like drinking the campfire itself but I think that it would be great.

11-20-2008 01:35:54 | More by adamette
MrIncognito

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

This is perhaps the most difficult beer I've ever had to review. So unique from any other beer out there that I've tried.

A - Poured from a 1 pint bottle into a mug. Transparent ruby red to brown with a one-finger offwhite head that dissipates in a few minutes to a nice lace on top. Nice lacing sticks to the sides of my mug.

S - The second you start pouring this one you smell it. It permeates the air immediately. Smells like salt cured pork. Very, very strong and covers any hope of hop smell. Smells very nice, but not like a beer... hence the difficulty in reviewing. For the style, I'm sure it's great.

T&M - Not nearly as smokey as the smell. A nice smooth and lightly sweet hop profile hits me first and then the smoke rolls in as I swallow. The smoke by no means is the main flavor, it simply complements the sweet caramel malt. Moderately hoppy aftertaste that melds well with the smokiness. Everything is so nicely balanced and in tune. So much flavor there, don't get distracted by the smoke. So interesting and unique, I love it! Smooth body with low carbonation.

D - This actually went down pretty well. At least better so than I expected. I could have drank another one for sure. This would go really well with sausage, kielbasa, burgers, or really anything grilled.

I really enjoyed this experience. I went in a little nervous and came out wanting more. Such a unique style.

11-18-2008 13:56:28 | More by MrIncognito
botham

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

pint bottle poured into a tulip. pours a rich copper brown color with garnet highlights and a half finger of tan head that takes a couple minutes to subside.

aroma is quite smokey, as would be expected, with notes of cured ham, a bit of charcoal, and a distant salted note that rounds out the profile. malt notes are minimal, but include a light presence of caramel and a distant base of bready malt.

taste is less smokey, which allows the malts to come through. smoke and a bit of charcoal are still present, with the salt note present as well, along with a malty backbone of caramel and a mild note of roasted malt upon finishing. the taste is much more balanced than the nose, but each works well in isolation.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth character from the smoked notes, along with a mildly spiced finish, reminiscent of faint steak seasoning.

drinkability is great. this is a very managable rauchbeer, without the harsh smokeyness that some can exhibit. for a BA who loves the smoked notes, this ones could have been a bit more assertive in taste, but in the end it pays off with a more balanced profile on the palate. a solid rauchbeer. cheers!

11-18-2008 02:13:40 | More by botham
tai4ji2x

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

brought back a bottle with me to beijing. no dating.

clear, relatively dark amber brown. nice head fades to a thin but ever persistent layer. some lacing, but sparse and thin.

very smokey aroma. definitely a rich wood smoke. hints of leather and smoked bacon. otherwise "clean" of other aromas. maybe a whiff of fermentation.

flavor is definitely smokey too, but a solidly sweet, almost syrup-like, caramelized maltiness in the background lasts throughout. again some smokehouse bacon or ham. maybe smoked gouda. savory meatiness, with phenolic note in the backend. again a malty backbone underlies the whole thing. mild to moderate bitterness peaks at the middle and boldly lasts into the finish, but the focus is on the smokiness throughout.

not too thin or watery, but not as substantial as i'd hoped. still, quite smooth, with a lively, prickly carbonation. a trace of astringency in the finish.

i paired half the bottle with some chinese dishes utilizing mushrooms, soy sauce and bean paste. this was an interesting pairing recommendation from garret oliver's brewmaster's table. it was okay, but not spectacular. probably needed dishes with stronger mushrooms, or a less smokey rauchbier (the marzen version was milder and may have worked better here.)

i then had the second half with some generic smoked ham (pan-seared), mustard, and smoked gouda. a much better pairing.

this is definitely the more robust and smokey of the schlenkerlas, and more akin to what i was hoping for in a smoked beer. nice, but an acquired taste nonetheless.

11-17-2008 15:18:03 | More by tai4ji2x
beachbum1975

Picked this one up in June of 08 at Dilly Deli in Mariemont, Ohio. I was afraid it might be passing it's prime, so I cracked it open.
The label on this beer kinda reminded me of walking down the beer I aisle with my days, when I was as a kid and to be scared of the label! It looks like a vintage bottle of ipecac or some old German hair tonic you'd see for sale at the local flea market. Let's try this one!

Before I opened this, I peered in the bottle and it looked ominous... Much to my surprise, this poured like a Newcastle - a clear, dark brown with ruby highlights sitting atop your average tan head.

A good whiff brings the kind of smoke you'd smell when unwrapping the gold foil on your Thanksgiving ham! After the head settles, I smell nice sweet malts.

Wow, mouthfeel was not what I had anticpated, as either! It starts like an English pub ale, like Samuel Smith's with nice earthy hops and semi-sweet caramelized malts and then toward the middle and end, the ham-like smoke comes out to the font. Light bodied and medium flavored overall.

Drinkable in the colder seasons, by the fire, in my opinion and certainly worth a try. Solid 4's across the board!

11-16-2008 00:47:05 | More by beachbum1975
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark mahogany-hued body with a small, bubbly, off-white head.

Smell: Bacon-wrapped top-shelf hot dogs smoked atop a wood fire and served with barbecued pork products. Some minor sweetness hints in back, but you gotta look past a whole grocery aisle worth of smoked meat products.

Taste: Roasted, toasted grains and yet another Schlenkerla plate of smoked meats. Charred wood. Sweet, slender maltiness underneath with a bit of creme caramel. Roasty, smoke-laden finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Perhaps Schlenkerla has slowly worked me up the smoke scale to the point where I find this both pleasant and keenly drinkable, but, well, I find it both pleasant and keenly drinkable.

11-14-2008 02:53:37 | More by ChainGangGuy
nick76

3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

The sweetest of the Aecht beers. The aroma is sweet as well as smokey. The appearance is a deep maroon brown and the head is smaller than the other Aecht beers. The sweet flavor in this one is similar to molasses. The palate could be a bit thicker. Overall this is the best of the Aecht smoke beers but still very smokey.

11-12-2008 07:21:12 | More by nick76
reddomino

Germany

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Been looking forward to this one for a while...

Pours a pleasing chestnut brown with ruby highlights and a nice tan head that (unfortunately) doesn't stick around for to long. The smell reminded me of a nice Islay Sotch, like Ardbeg or Laphroaig. Pungently smokey, I like it. The taste is fantastic! Smoked pork, nutty cheeses, a slight fruitiness, followed by a slight alcohol warmth. Love that smokey aftertaste. Lightly carbonated with smooth mouthfeel and a medium body that is on par for the style. I'm going back tomorrow for a rack!

11-11-2008 20:09:30 | More by reddomino
babaracas

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

first rauchbier... Pours a clear reddish brown with dense tan head that fades to a thin layer. Smell: smoked gouda, smoked pork, tavern ham, blackened/charred, bonfire. Taste: same smokiness, roasted malt, caramel, a little coffee, munich malt, slight graininess. Mildly sweet with perhaps a hint of spicy/grassy hops at the end of the sip. Nice carbonation for a somewhat creamy, medium body. This is quite tasty, it would pair well with a wood fire in the fireplace (not here), a hunk of cheese and crackers, and someone to split the 500ml with.

11-09-2008 03:35:03 | More by babaracas
SouthAtholSuds

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

When i first tried this beer I took a smell, then a sip, then I walked away from it. I was horrified. Then i said to myself I have never tasted anything like that in my life and decided I had to man up and drink it. Beer pours a dark burnt brown color. Smell... the smell is what got to me at first. Strong odor of campfire and beef jerky. The taste complements the smell very well. Acrid jerky, ham, and burnt log taste. Sounds unappealing but is very common for this style of beer. I made the mistake of making this the first rauchbier I ever tried. Start with the Helles and work your way up to this one. I give it a low drinkability based on personal preference. A perfect beer to share and experience with someone looking to swim in unfamiliar waters.

11-06-2008 01:34:00 | More by SouthAtholSuds
Proteus93

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Made good use of a dimpled mug for this one - one of the times it seemed most appropriate! A deep brown or deep amber. A kinda 'spent soapy' head - like when a bubblebath or dishsoap recedes to a thinner layer.

S + T + M: Smoke, smoke, and more smoke. That 'ham and cheese' scent that is often associated with the style. Reminds me of the smoked gouda that I love so much. Flavour is identical. A rich, intense smokiness... though it reminds me more of smoked cheese than meaty. There's a bit of a creaminess to it that adds to the effect.

D: A nicely done beer, and an intriguing and tasty style. I could enjoy another bottle once I was done this one. Quite good.

11-02-2008 03:11:01 | More by Proteus93
bheilman

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

The smell and initial taste are very reminiscent of a smoked cheese. Not sure if I like it, but I don't hate it. Definitely can taste some smoke that compliments the hops in a unique way. Has a strong malt flavor; one of the most original beers I have drank in a while, but doesn't exactly hit my go to list. I would drink it again and be happy; it would probably get better with the next beer now that I have a better idea what to expect. Does have a similar taste to some other Alt beers I've had in a sort of bitterness at the end.

10-14-2008 01:19:15 | More by bheilman
WHROO

Australia

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

DEFINATELY A LOVE/HATE STYLE...
I thought I had tasted smoke flavoured stouts, porters, dark ales, but nothing prepared me for the true smoked aromas & flavours this had. Unbelievable. At one point I thought I was eating it, cos anything with such smokiness in flavour & smell I have gladly eaten in the past (not drank)
A: 1 finger head, with no head retention, alhough a whispy soft creamy film remained on the surface - looked pretty. Very dark, just see through with a dark red hue.
S: My goodness - for those that love smoked (me) it delighted, but I'd imagine this would make others run to the hills. Huge smokey bacon, salmon, anything that has been smoked. Very intense smokiness. After just handling the glass I thought I was around the campfire with the smoke aromas staining my clothes & skin...I felt it was in my skin.
One thing I loved about this was it was like a treasure hunt - once the olefactory membrane gets used to the intense smokiness,other smells & tastes became evident - loved it. Cocoa, chocolate.
T: Smoked...smoked...smoked...dark roasted malts...coffee...smoked...very sweet...a touch of cocoa bitterness.
VERY FULL & COMPLEX.
M: Just loved the complexity, a medium thickness mouthfeel...suited this. Although it left me feeling i was a smoker (which I am not)
D: Excellent, but only 1 or 2 thanks...after 1 I thought I had just tucked into half a pig. Left me feeling a little full. But VERY tasty & I felt if I had more in 1 sitting it might get a little sickly.
THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL THOUGH >>> DEFINATELY HAVE AGAIN!

10-13-2008 08:16:15 | More by WHROO
scoobybrew

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

This was poured from the bottle into a glass mug.

A - deep, dark, clear amber color with a great head and good retention

S - strong 'campfire' like smoked malt aroma

T - initially sweet malt up front and turns strongly smoky as it moves across the tongue; mild noble hop flavors are also noticed with a slight hop finish

M - medium body, moderate carbonation

D - This is a fantastic rauchbier and one of my favorites. However, it is a bit strong to session this one, even if it is so wonderful.

10-10-2008 00:19:22 | More by scoobybrew
beerfairy

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Dark brown, off-white head.

S: Smoky, like smoked ham or smoked sausages.

T: Tasted smokey but not overpowering, very smooth, goes excellent with a good smoked sausage.

M: Surprisingly full for a lager. Medium-low carbonation.

D: Fantastic beer, very drinkable. Finally, a terriffic smoked beer to compare all others to.

10-05-2008 02:31:47 | More by beerfairy
johnd513

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

This was my first smoke beer and WOW! I was not prepared for this. Pours dark brown with an offwhite head with nice thin lacing. Smell is huge, smoked ham and bbq. The taste is smoky salty sweetness and smoked meat. This beer has medium body and is nicely carbonated. I was happy drinking the pint size bottle but I don't think I would drink another one especially with the high price tag. Not something I would drink on a regular basis but certainly worth a try.

10-03-2008 01:34:32 | More by johnd513
nickd717

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

This one is different. They say you love it or you hate it, but I am in the "it's decent" camp.

A: Mostly clear dark brown color with a lasting light tan head and good lacing.

S:Aroma is all smoked ham sandwich. Smoked ham and rye with just a little sweet malt.

T: Virginia smoked ham sandwich on rye. That's probably the closest solid food to it. Interesting. Smoked ham, rye bread, and maybe even cheese against a mildly sweet caramel/toffee malt background. Some mild dark fruit notes

M: Smooth and medium-full on the palate with lingering smokiness. Medium-low carbonation.

D: The smokiness gets to you quickly. Very good overall, but suffers a little bit on drinkability in the end.

09-20-2008 00:12:26 | More by nickd717
kenn

this was my first smokebeer. it was not as dark as i imagined. i used a goblet & there was no head but i dont know if this is because i poured it slow or not. it took me longer than usual to finish this & determined that smokebeer isnt for me although i didnt hate it. mouth feel was lighter than expected not thick like a stout. this beer would probably go well with something from the charcoal grill. this is also my first review.

09-18-2008 00:52:12 | More by kenn
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

500ml bottle bought online from the Cracked Kettle, Amsterdam...

Poured a deep dark mahogany red colour. Creamy tan head poured small but quite thick then faded fairly quickly to wispy covering with thick edges... barely any carbonation... some thin lacing...

Aroma - Rich deep smoked meatiness - bacon and gammon spring to mind, smoked beach and oak wood, quite sweet with treacle and molasses hints, leathery, dark fruits (raisins and dates), toasted bready malts, nut brown butter..

Taste - As with the aroma the sweet smokey malts are to the fore, also some molasses sweetness, hickory, dried spicy fruits (raisins, sultanas), also some toffee apple notes, definite cured meats, some of the 6.5% alcohol is just noticeable, toasted malt loaf, peppery, some nutmeg...

Feel - Quite smooth but not as rich as i was expecting... medium bodied... very quaffable for a 6.5% brew - i could happily knock a few of these back...

Overall - Another excellent rauchbier from Schlenkerla... definitely recommended...

09-16-2008 14:35:29 | More by mdagnew
DeepSix

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

Had this at Max's during their German Beer Fest. Poured with a little head, but after the initial head was gone, couldn't get it back. No lacing at all.

The smell, wow, am I smelling a beer or a nice bit of smoked meat here? Awesome smells I had here.

Now the taste here was the beer felll flat in my opinion, this being my first "smoke beer" this might be obvious I wouldn't quite like it at first, maybe its an acquired taste. The smokey taste was overwhelming, which for someone who like the style would probably be great, but for me it wasn't so. Along with that came some nice maltness, with a hint of sweetness and bitterness here. The mouth was very full bodied, keep with the smokey theme here(which was good here like with the smell), like a stout.

Easily the most interesting beer I've ever had, I'll most likely give this beer and the style overall another chance, but the smokiness was more then I had bargained with

09-16-2008 02:18:13 | More by DeepSix