Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +15%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

The aroma alone was enough to knock my socks off. I never believed others' reviews that a beer can smell like smoked sausage and bacon but, alas, that what it was. How do they achieve that 'greasy' feel in an aroma? I brought the beer up to my face three times before I could drink it.

Based on the aroma and initial smokiness upon tasting, you'd think that the whole experience would just be too much. But then the smooth bountiful malt flavors kick in to tame its mischavious brother. The bock characteristics are evident and welcome. Overall, a superb beer drinking experience, though I couldn't see myself drinking more than one in a sitting, thus the low drinkability score.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle

Poured a very dark brown with a little bit of red, very thin tan head that quickly dissipated in to very light lacing.

Smelled very smokey, similar to smoked bacon or jerky.

Tasted of smoked meat, mainly bacon. That's all I really got from it. An excellent smoked beer that would go well with breakfast foods.

I can't see myself drinking more than one of these at a time, the taste and mouthfeel are good but there is a strong resonant after taste that lingers and too much I feel may ruin it. I poured this chilled but enjoyed it more after it warmed up a bit. I may get this again in winter time and see if that makes a difference in the number I'd be willing to drink.

In short, this is a bacon beer, it looks smells and tastes like liquid bacon.

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Another olympic beer to be added - i like all the other schlenkerlas but this is made for the gods or maybe by them.

Urbock is arguably the style that has been devised by the gods - possibly Zeus himself - to be smoked on open fire and served to me.

I have nothing to add chaps other than get some!!!

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%

Enjoyed at my mini German beer tasting from a pilsner glass.

A - Pours a dark brown color with an inch plus of thick cream colored head.

S - I got pure smoke from this, and I enjoyed every second of it! To me it smells of smoked cheddar cheese with bacon mixed in. An absolutely incredible smelling beer, and very potent.

T - Not as smoky as the smell. Hints of caramel come through in the taste to counteract the smokiness and make the beer much smoother than the smell would suggest.

M - Medium bodied with a nice finish and little burn. Very nice going down.

O - I was pleasantly surprised with this one, having been disappointed by the first couple German beers we tried. Bump up in score for the ridiculousness of the smell. Wish I could give it a 10 for smell.

3.96/5  rDev -4.1%

500ml bottle with best before date 04/2010.
The pour produces garnet-like dark brown fluid with reddish hue topped by contrasting light tan creamy head that dissipates forming thin yet firm film. Smoke & soot from burnt wood is by far the most prominent aroma followed by melanoidins, subdued prunes and well masked soft alcohol. The smoky, bitter and prune like sweet fruity flavors of the smooth, creamy and slightly greasy fluid correspond to the aromas. Excellent, without any harsh, burnt or charred flavors. This brew brings a sensation of small cooking chambers blackened from smoke & soot that were in use in ancient times and can still be seen in preserved rustic farm houses. An interesting beer, to say the least.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Ruby brownish beer, limpid with a a great head that let a nice lacish throught the course.

Smell is smoked, cheese flavours, bbq smell, malt and yeast

Taste is quite unique and special, I think I am drinking a bbq smoked liquid or something. Of course you feel the smoked malt presence of the beers, followed by some spices and shy hops. Everything is surrounded by a shy but warming alcohol flavours.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

500ml bottle into spaten stange.

A - a thicker pour than expected. forms minimal head, 1/2 finger at most. body is like a ruby cola red-brown, though not as dark as cola, with slight brazen tinges. nothing too special as of yet. the lack of head is a big disappointment (heh, heh).

S - malts soaked in smoke is the best way to describe this beer. top notes are most reminiscent of smoked meats, like ham, which doesnt have a strong smell of its own. there is no intermediary note, so the rest is just malts. I dont know what else I am looking for, but I think one could maybe make this a bit more dynamic.

T - again a good solid taste. initials are lighter smoke than what one would expect, and malts. about 2:3 ratio of malt and smoke flavour, but as smoke is so distinctive, it stands out without having a majority. there is also a bit of the alcohol, which presents itself in a nice kind of caramel/sweet manner, if one agitates the beer while it is in mouth. the finish is malts and the smoke, a sort of herbal like savoriness presents itself along with the smoked character. the aftertaste is smoky, and a bit ashen. this eventually fades to a level that is even with the malt character. this is an excellent tasting rauchbier, but the only problem I have with it is that it isnt as strong tasting as I would have wanted. because the beer is fairly one sided (smoked malts) I would have liked to see a bit more punch of flavour.

MF&D - this is a full flavour beer, but it has a medium body. though it is undoubtedly a small problem, i would have wanted the beer to have more of a body my increasing the carbonation a little more. the beer is just above flat, the head is testimony to that. Im not saying this beer should be a big frothy and bubbly lager, but I think it needed more carbonation to make the mouthfeel a bit more lively and to thicken out the body in general.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle poured into pint glass

A-Black with creamy head, some lacing

S-Smoke! Smells like bacon, smokey-malty smell

T-Smoke, taste like bacon or other smoked meat, then tastes of malt, then a finish of smoke again

M-some carbonation medium thickness

O-great smokey rauchbier, I have heard that this was the standard, I was not disappointed.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured deep dark brown, creamy tight little head and some very decent lacing much nicer than what I usually get from the bottle. aroma of smokey BBQ, meaty, bacon, smoke, delicious. Taste is just as it smells. nice balance between sweet meaty BBQ and a slight bitter aftertaste that leaves the palate clean and ready for food or the next sip. Lighter on the tongue than you'd expect and smooth as can be. Overall this is a beer experience, one that helped to change my own attitude as to what beer could be. It is one of my all time favourites.

3.47/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.69/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A standard pour of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier's Urbock yields a beautiful deep brown-nose colored brew. The body seems opaque at first , but turns out iridescent when viewed against a light source, revealing ruby and burnt umber highlights. The ecru head rises to a picture-perfect inch-and-a-half, and shows no sign of receding at first. It takes its time as it slowly drops, leaving behind some sticky foam around the edges of the top of the brew, and an island of foam atop the body worthy of an italian cappuccino. Carbonation is gentle. I expect a rich, full mouthfeel with lots of viscosity.

The beer offers two distinct olfactory experiences. First, there is the light, slightly smokey aroma that fills the room as soon as the cap is popped. Then there is the complex bouquet of aromas that assert themselves when the brew is held close to one's nose. Roasted smokey aromas in the center, surrounded by molasses, burnt-butter-braised prunes and raisins, and toasted pumpernickel bread.

The brew is full and rich on the palate. It took me about 15 seconds to swallow my first sip. The aromas of the nose are converted to flavors on the palate, and are accompanied by iris flowers, toasted almonds, and a hint of dried tobacco leaf.

What's especially impressive about Urbock is that, despite its dominant smoke flavors, it doesn't send me into "smokey bacon and barbecued meats" land. Sure, those flavors are present, but there's a sophistication in this beer's flavor profile that is absent from any of the other smoked beers I've tasted in this style. I think that the malty backbone of the duppelbock style deserves some of the credit. But most of it goes to the brewers at Aecht Schlenkerla, who have produced something special here.

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My friends and I big a fond farewell to one of our own by "enjoying" a round of this dubious brew together. We were at Porter's Pub in Easton, Pa (fantastic place) and this brew is on their mug club list, so it was going to happen eventually.

A: Pours dark brown with a thick off-white head that provides good lacing.

S: The aroma is like smoked meats (bologna factory) with some boozey undertones.

T: Incredible, it's like I'm drinking sausage and bologna mixed with rich, dark malt (it's as unpleasant as it sounds). Still, this flavor does fit the style pretty well despite my personal tastes.

M: Very full bodied with a very long finish, this is like a meal in a glass.

D: Well this was certainly a unique beer experience that I'm glad I tried, but not one I'll be trying again anytime soon (Rauchbier in general). This really wasn't my style, but I couldn't really pan it as it seemed to fit the criteria of the style in general. It really did deliver on the description, so if you think you'd like it, give it a try!

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%