1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

.5 L bottle served chilled in a Guinness pint glass (similar shape to the glass on their website)

Appearance: Dark crimson-twinged brown topped by a tiny offwhite head. Beer appeared to be slightly undercarbonated compared to most beers I've seen. The head faded away to a frothy film and ring pretty quickly and left faint specks of lace.

Smell: Very aromatic. Hearty campfire smell is evident from a few feet away. Hickory smoked jerky and caramelized sugars tempt your olfactory senses.

Taste: The smoke and underlying beer tastes are in great balance, moreso than the märzen. An initial splace of a damn fine bock (sweet caramel malt, buttery notes, light noble hops) that slowly evolves into a robust campfire smoke taste. Jerky-like meat aftertastes.

Mouthfeel: Watery and a bit flat, but I don't believe the bottle was bad at all (though maybe not at 100%). Pleasant and oddly refreshing.

Drinkability: Not as powerful as the märzen, but I still loved this so. This first sip is the hardest and the rest are pure heaven. I can see why sentimental value kept this brewery alive. Grilling season commences soon.. I best get some more of this stuff.

ManekiNeko, Mar 04, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

16.9oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep ruby red color with one finger of head. There is just a little lace left on the glass. The smell is almost exactly like the Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen: very pungent smokey aroma, with just a little bit of caramel sweetness. The taste is also fairly smoky, and a little maltier than the marzen. A little bit of hops on the finish, but overall the smoke dominates. The mouthfeel is just a little light on the tongue. The drinkability is fairly good as well. A darn good Rauchbier!

SheepNutz, Mar 02, 2004

I can see where many would not like this beer. I enjoy it a lot and yet I don't think I could have more than 1 or 2 at any one time. It is dark ruby in color with a huge smokey aroma. The aroma is the first thing you notice from the time you open the bottle until you have cleaned your glass. It reminds me of a smoked ham and bacon. A friend suggested that it smleed like beef jerky. It is very malty with some caramel sweetness that explodes into smokey taste. It finishes fairly clean and does not linger. I could not tell if there was much hop character or bitterness to the beer because all I get is smoke.

ark57, Feb 26, 2004
2.4/5  rDev -41.9%

Wow, this is definitely an acquired taste! (One that I don't think I'll want to acquire...) If you like hanging out in smokehouses, you might like this beer, but for me, it was like being beaten over the head with the predominant smoke flavor.

It poured a clear dark maroon, with a tan head. Smoke was the main aroma, with a touch of malt sweetness. Tastes were SMOKE, kielbasa, and a wee bit of malt. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. Finish was (surprise, surprise) SMOKE!

Next time I want a smoked beer, I'll go for the Stone Smoked Porter. This one is more like a liquified smoked sausage, or drinking the water you just put out the campfire with...

WaltTrombone, Feb 07, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

if brown little smoked sausage tied up with string are a few of your favorite things than you probably will really enjoy this beer. This is not everyone's beer, but for fans of smoked beer, this one has it down to a perfection. This dark brown beer pours pretty smooth with a nice little head that dosen't stick around. The smell is like standing in a smoke house at a bar-b-q. I really enjoyed this beer, it drinks like a meal, slow sipping smoked brautwurst beer. The smoke flavor is perfect, meaty and not in any way mediciny or like fake smoke in a bottle taste like a lot of smoked beers sadly taste like. For those who don't like beers this smokey...i bet it would be great for marinating...this would make beer brauts even tastier...Still I enjoyed drinking this one....it probably will put hair on your chest...

hollicetales, Feb 02, 2004
4.13/5  rDev 0%

This beer is one that you will either love or hate. I loved it. The beer is a mysterious dark brown/black that pours with a slight head. The nose is full of smokiness, and the taste is one of smoked ham/bacon with a big malty underpinning. The smoke becomes less shocking as I made my way through the beer, or perhaps my palette was just overwhelmed. I don't know if I could have more than one of these beers at a sitting, but I wouldn't need to - it really is a meal in itself.

ColForbin, Jan 10, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a clear mahogany with a foamy beige head. Nice wood smoked bacon/ham and malt aroma.
Sweet and smoky flavors of malt, jerky, hardwood smoked pork, tangy carmelized b-b-q sauce and a hint of charcoal. Light hop presence and a lingering smoky oiliness on the finish. Nicely balanced.
Medium bodied, full mouthfeel with good carbonation.
My favorite of the smoked beers. A style I'm learning to appreciate.

rkhaze, Jan 05, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

Clearish dark reddish brown color with a small beige foamy head that fades out quickly leaving some good sticky sheets and strings of lace. Aroma is quite unique with a smokey twinge rendering some hints of bacon, bar-b-que sweetness, and wet ashes. Not much else really comes through but the smokened senses which isn't all that bad but would have liked to seen some more complexity within the aroma with some malts or something. Taste is sweet and tangy with a smokey character that adds subdued salty meats, touches of bar-b-que or mustard sauces, charcoal, and jerky. Overall its not really coming across as anything else but smoke for character, which is fine, but I'd like to see an already good beer then add touches of smoke then take a subpar beer and add lots of smoke to cover up the fact that its really not all that good to begin with. And thats what I'm perceiving with this. Feel is lightly creamy with tangyness and quite smooth and close to medium bodied but has some slight watery notions late in the finish. An OK beer to have an occasion but more or less I think I'll use it to marinate and cook up some porkchops or steak with. I think it'll work very well in that department.

tavernjef, Dec 31, 2003

Let me start off by saying that I never really loved smoked beers before. Well, this one almost changed my mind. This is a murky dark brown liquid with a short-lived tan head of bubbles. The aromas are pure smoke, caramel and chocolate malts, and other roasty bock-like notes. The taste is smoky, but remains very bock-like and malty with a lot of complexities in the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is creamy, but a bit too chewy and the drinkability is good as well. This is a good beer all across the beer, and now I can appreciate smoked beers more. They are still not my favorite, but this one was damn good.

francisweizen, Dec 22, 2003

Served in the 500 mL bottle. The color is a dark amber, with a bubbly white head. The smell is basically like beef jerky. The taste is a very meaty smokiness. Mouthfeel is slightly thin. Drinkabilty-wise, could have one or two.

Definitely a unique beer. This is like drinking pureed beef jerky; now I love jerky (though my beer habit kills my funds for jerky), so this is a definite treat. Quite good, and I'd certainly have this one with barbeque or other such smoked meat.

beergeek279, Dec 22, 2003

Pours an clear, dark brown with sticky white lace.

The aroma: oh my. My first rauchbier, this was a surprise. Strongly pungent of old ashes and wet, organic-laden smoky fires; brought back memories of childhood, when we used to burn off driftwood and other flotsam on the shore of Lake Erie. A strong hint of bacon as well; as a vegetarian I had to visit the website to make sure they weren't pitching hogs instead of yeast in the brewing process.

Taste is smooth, slightly bitter, not especially sweet. Bacon grease and more smoke, conjured up memories of camp breakfasts, cast-iron stoves, and the dead of winter. Finishes with a mildly malty, bock-ish zing.

An amazingly bizarre yet interesting style; who knew beer could jog such a vivid blast from the past? Maybe it's my German heritage, but I could definitely sit around sipping this all night and reminiscing with good friends and family.

shirfan, Dec 20, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a deep, clear burnt caramel. Head is khaki colored and foamy.
Aroma is of landjager, malt, charcoal, and burnt brown sugar.

Taste is of pork fat and charcoal smoke. Very reminiscent of spiced German sausage. Malt is relevant but not aggressive, creating a slightly thinner than desired mouthfeel, but supporting the smoky flavors.

This does not have a high drinkability due to the true potency of the intense smoked meat flavor, (drinkable, but not a session beer or anything), but I've gone back several times to buy more, so it certainly is a beer that makes you want to return to it again and again. Gets extra drinkability points for this. Also, this would be awesome with some grilled hot brats.

For the style, and excellent example -- good to have every once in a while when you're in the mood.

ithacabaron, Nov 28, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Nice crystal clear amber to light brown color with a soapy beige head. Nose of a pot belly stove in a cabin. Salami, smoke, and malt dominates the aroma profile. Rather malty tasting despite the big smoky nose. Rather crisp and refreshing. Nice malty bock base in this beer, I'd expect that even if it wasn't smoked, it'd be a world class bock on its own. I could think of a thousand food items that would accompany this beer beautifully. Effervescent and clean. I'd seek this one out again (with some smoked venison jerky and gouda next time though :))

crookedhalo, Nov 17, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Presentation: 16.9oz. brown bottle; no "best by" or "bottled on" date; no ABV %; purchased for $3.99 from the WIne Expo on Santa Monica and Yale; "brewed according to the Bavarian purity-law" written in Gothic style script on the label.

Appearance: Pours a dark, dark brown with ruby highlights; rocky, mocha-hued head; a good b-cup's worth of lace, but not much in the way of head retention.

Aroma: Delightfully sweet and smoky with hints of molasses, mesquite and, yes, barbecued meat.

Taste: Decidedly likes its nose; tangy and sweet with huge notes of smoky, meaty (sic!) goodness; creamy, almost silky, mouthfeel; medium bodied.

Notes: I never imagined a beer could taste meaty...

Mustard, Oct 26, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer poured a rather clear dark ruby red brown with a samll but thick white/tan head.

The nose was simply amazing. Smoke, meat, molases, wood, some slight hints of spice. Basically the best way to describe it is that it smells like a cross between a beefstick and smoked gouda.

The taste is even more interesting. You'd think with the nose it'd knock you over with the meat taste. But... it actually starts off very malty instead. Roasted malt, slight chocolate, dark sugar, molases, and a nice even bitterness. Light carbonation. Medium bodied. Simply a nice even dark beer taste. But then as the beer continues across the tongue the meat and smoke flavors hit you. Meaty and smokey. Just like the nose. Smoked gouda or a beefstick. Very unique.

It ends with a very smooth hop bitterness complimented by the smoked meat flavor.

You either love this beer or hate it. Maybe not the most vegatarian friendly tasting beer. Simply though, it is the best of it's style. A perfect balance of all the flavors, with a nice sepperation too. Almost as you're drinking a fine french bordeaux, but of smoke and malt.
A must try if you like smokey beers.

Be careful, a good burp might bring the flavor back for up to a few hours after trying this beer. ;-)

taez555, Aug 07, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

This pours a rich dark teak color, and despite a rather hard pour, the mostly large bubbly head dissipates, forming a thin beige ring with very little lace. A wonderful smoky malt and slight hop and faint alcohol aroma lasts a fair amount of time, eventually giving way to a pleasant morning after campfire smell. Full bodied and lightly sweet and amply hopped. Robust Maltiness blends well with citrus and spicy hop bitterness. This is an acquired taste that I've acquired while tasting and rating this fantastic brew!

BeerResearcher, Aug 07, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Great aroma! Smoky molasses malts, barbecue, smoked sausage, oily. Ruby brown clear beer with small off-white head. Considering the aroma, the smoky taste was quite subdued - nice malty sweetness, like a bock. Light sweet finish and tinge of smokiness that I thought was less pronouced than in the maerzen. Mild-medium carb and light oily body. Very nice rauchbier, but not as smoky as the maerzen. Went great with smoked sausages and ham for dinner.

ChicoraBoy, Aug 05, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Sweet malt aromas with some smoke, not nearly as much as their marzen which is much more the way I prefer it. Brown in color with some red highlights a small amount of creamy head. Bacon does come through in the flavor but not enough and is quickly overcome by the sweet malt. Pretty nicely complex. If you have to decide between this and the marzen, my word of advice would be to stick with this if you like more malt and less meat and go with the marzen for more meat and less malt.

jreitman, Jul 05, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

This is probably my new favorite beer. I tried this at my local beer store at a tasteing. The smell is sooooo magnificent. If you wanna know what it smells like, go to a deli or cook something on the grill. The taste is just as good. The biggest suprise of this beer, was it's magnetism at a sorority party I went to last night. Seemed like every 5 seconds, some chick was asking me if they could "taste my smoke beer". I let a few have it and they were hooked. Maybe this could be the next beer at the college parties? Maybe not. You can get a 12pack of natty for $5 and this stuff is $3 a bottle. Oh well, we can all dream... can't we?

JISurfer, Jun 21, 2003

Originally sampled on 26 June 2002. This beer has the beautiful aroma of the best deli you've ever been in. It's the perfect accompanyment to sausages & smoked meat. Very unique. Either you'll really like it, or you'll pour it down the drain. This is definitely not for everyone, but that just means more for me.

jcalabre, Jun 12, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark brown color. Medium white foamy head. Aroma is smoked gouda. It sort of like drinking a liquid glass of smoked gouda wrapped around a rasher of bacon. The initial smokiness is somewhat overwhelming, but after the first few sips it settles down into a smoky malty beer. The smokiness is well balanced by the maltyness. Nice beer, if you don't like smoke, don;t bother with this beer, but if you do try this one. World class. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is smoky and slightly bitter.

beerguy101, Jun 10, 2003
3.45/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is the third Aecht Schlenkerla I've tried and probably the mildest and most balanced of the trio. Same smoky presence as its brothers but perhaps a little less powerful. Nice brown color with thin but dense tan head. Tastes on the sweet side but a terrific balance overall.

BierReise, Jun 01, 2003
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Wow, what an interesting beer!

This one poured out a cherry/amber color with a large dense head. The aroma was like… well, like a campfire in a bottle.
Very strong smokiness with a charred wood smell.

The taste was similar but I also was picking up some sour fruit flavors and a nice dry hop bitterness. Medium to full bodied with a dry finish. Ultra flavorful. This is a nice treat to enjoy once in awhile or to have with a steak.

pezoids, Mar 20, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

The fire alarm in my Apartment sounded as soon as I opened the bottle, I placed a hand over the bottle top and fought hard to prevent the spraying water from the activated sprinklers entering my beer. As I waved goodbye to the Fire Engines, I retired to finish the beer. Whooaahhhh……….

The first Rauch Bier that I have reviewed, and I am looking forward to it immensely.

A deep clear chestnut brown body that has a tanned head that sits atop this offering. Carbonation is high at first and adds to the uneven large bubbled head, but this soon dissipates.

Aromas are very intense. No punches pulled here. When I lived in England, there was a local High-Class Family Butchers that prepared their own smoked sausages. The nose from this beer reminded me so much of the shop smell from the many offerings of home-made smoked Sausages that all dangled from the hanging racks at the back of their Butchers Shop.

Tastes also place me in this Butchers Shop. Some of the smoked sausages I bought here were incredibly salty and dry. This beer also reflects that characteristic. Starts with a slowly burnt oak-wood smoky ember characteristic that then introduces the palate to a light brick charcoal astringent salty essence that pleases. Burnt but not scorched. Nice. The middle has a slight sweetness that is soon dampened by the long dry smoky finish. Overall a unique beer style that is probably fair to say is drunk occasional, rather than often.

Quite an extraordinary beer nonetheless – flame grilled by medieval dragons no doubt.

TheLongBeachBum, Feb 25, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Re-reviewed in October 2004

Clear but dense, brown in hue with ruby hints. Off white head if not beige in color, the foam reached one finger in height. Healthy head retention, a foamy collar lasted for the entire consumption. Subsequent lacing was spotty. Huge smokiness in the nose, it is the biggest of all the Aecht Schlenkerla beers. Smoldering wood and hints of chocolate malt construct the main aromas, but that sausage cooking on a campfire can’t be ignored. Fatty bacon, yummy! Ham, awesome! Damn I love smelling this beer, big potency. Very inviting. The palate is bold but articulate, smoky with roasty-char. Standard maltiness is a noticeable underlying quality, and almost hidden, is some sweetness. By the finish the beer becomes meaty, mainly ham, bacon, and sausage… all cooked on an open campfire. The more I drink this beer the more subtle flavors emerge, juicy malt and even some well place astringency that seems perfectly placed alongside the smoke. I can’t believe there could be a better Rauchbier! Medium-full in bodied, modestly low but natural carbonation, kind of slick on the tongue but pleasant overall. It is very drinkable, I love this damn thing, and it is one of my favorite beers. I can buy them in both Kansas City and Iowa City, and I do whenever I can.

This beer begs to be paired with cheese and meat. I love cooking with it too.

bditty187, Feb 13, 2003