Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros

videofrog, Jul 26, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

thufflife, Jul 23, 2014
4.48/5  rDev +8.5%

Recently I found that the quantity of my German bruviews was lacking and as such I decided it was time to give that tasty (denoting I've had it before) Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum a go... and if that isn't a mouthful of a name wait until I review Dem Bayerischen Reinheitsgebot entsprechend gebrautes Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche Doppelbock von Heller-Trum, gefährliches zeug! [I added that last "gefährliches zeug!" purely for emphasis]

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Stein.

A: A nice deep brown, almost cola like body presents a stark antithesis to the creamy 2cm ecru head. Looks delicious and thought out and no doubt tastes the same.

S: As Darth Vader once proclaimed "The rauch is strong with this one.", in the case of this Rauchbier (or "smoke beer" to non-German tongues) this is indeed a peat-smoke infused brew, with some well-added smoked salami for effect. There is nary another ingredient to be whiffed behind the veil of hickory, much to the delight of Rauchbier drinkers everywhere.

T: Quintessentially brilliant - a rauch schinkenspeck sandwich in a bottle. The flavour is a taste of every glorious thing that has ever been smoked in a beer with notes of the above plus more; roasted caramel, touch of salt, with an earthy hop finish. Balance between malt and hops is spot on and whilst the smoke can be overpowering for some if you get used to it - power to you.

M: Medium bodied with that classic creamy Weizen carbonation.

D: You know the last time I had this beer was before I began reviewing and I was taken aback by the smoke "too much!" I thought, but now (in my finite tasting wisdom) I can't stop drinking this amazing Ale. It is only a brew I would recommend for people who have tried other odd flavoured beers like Lambics or Sahtis and nodded their head in silent approval - it is not a beer for the craft-novice let me make that clear. For a non-smoker like myself (I have had an occasional Cuban cigar) it was a bit of a struggle acclimatasting [a new word for the Doktorhops lexicon] to smoke flavours but now I am there, oh yes.

Food match: I couldn't help but think that the entire menu of a Bavarian pub would work with this, especially anything pork related - if you see "schinken" on the menu: Get it.

doktorhops, Jul 23, 2014

tom10101, Jul 22, 2014

John_Beeryman, Jul 21, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +2.7%

500ml bottle poured into tulip 20/7/14

A looks fairly dark until held to the light, has a clear maroon glow, big short lived tan foam leaves lots of random lace

S its smokey no doubt, smells like campfire clothing, smoked meat, faint coco and hard toffee, earthy notes, salty brine, smells like it should

T less smoke then the nose but that still leaves plenty, more chocolate, earthy notes are strong, similar to the nose but not quite the same levels of smoke

M lighter side of medium, stops just short of foam, intense smokey aftertaste just keeps going

O it is what it claims, lots of smoke, super easy to drink, I'm wishing I had some BBQ to eat with this

I bought this one to make some sauce the ribs I'm making and I think I'll need to grab another bottle to eat with them.

wordemupg, Jul 21, 2014