Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
Phocion

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

500ml bottle poured into mug of the same size. Pours very dark brown with a slight reddish hue and a frothy light beige head that settles at about a quarter of a finger.

This is my first experience with a Rauchbier. I was expecting smoky, but this is much more than I had in mind. It smells just like smoked sausage or even possibly a black forest ham. It's so overpowering there's no other aromas that make themselves known, but I guess that's the point of the style.

Flavor is luckily much more complex than the aroma. Still very smoky, but a nice maltiness as well. Sweet caramel and lightly toasted malts along with even a little touch of chocolate and minimal hops.

Warm, chewy mouthfeel..but then it tastes like I'm eating a piece of meat, so why shouldn't it feel like it too? Definitely an acquired taste as the description states. Decent drinkability, but I doubt I could drink more than one on a night.

11-26-2006 04:25:28 | More by Phocion
brdc

Wisconsin

Appearance is similar to other Heller-Trum rauchbiers, golden brown, with a tan head that dissiaptes quickly leaving good lacing.
Smell is just terrific - I know a lot of people hates this, but I find it stimulating, and matches perfect with most meats, if smoked even better. Woodburning fireplace, salami, bacon, roasted sausages.
Taste is also impressive: malted, roasted meats, hints of alcohol, sausages.
Mouthfeel is what I expect from rauchbier, medium-bodied.
Very easy to drink with smoked sausages, the prototypical smoked beer.

11-19-2006 01:17:11 | More by brdc
aforbes10

Iowa

Had this on tap at the Map Room in Chicago, and its the beer i remember the best because of how interesting and delicious it was. Poured very dark into a Schlenkerla glass with big lacing and a large white head. Odor was of smoke, hickory wood and malts. Taste is fantastically jerk-o-licious. super beefy smokiness. Nice malt underneath makes it so its not just a one-trick pony. Im always amazed when i have a good rauchbier about how you can make a beer taste like this. Very full and excellent drinakability. Makes me think i'm sitting by a fire. mmmm.

11-15-2006 19:34:22 | More by aforbes10
jtell

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a darkish brown/red without much head. Lacing shows up down the glass. Smell is of smoky meat. Extra smokey bacon was my first thought. Tastes of smoke and a little malt. Has a slight peaty flavor. Really quite smokey. Slight bitter finish. This is my first Rauchbier and boy is it like nothing else. Still not sure if it is a style for me. Drinkability is limited because of the strong smoke. If you like real smokey flavors, I think you would really enjoy this. It was a little too extreme in the smokiness for me but I am glad I tried it.

11-09-2006 20:05:05 | More by jtell
bruachan

District of Columbia

4.75/5  rDev +15%

i was lucky enough to spend some time in bamberg this summer, where i sampled this guy's little brother, the maerzen. i was super excited to see this at chuck's in chagrin falls. the aroma is absolute heaven. i wish i knew what kind of wood is used to produce this smoke; i'd love to make an attempt at reproducing it. smoke is the dominant characteristic, but i'm totally okay with that

it looks like a dark brown ale or schwarzbier. the head on it sustains itself nicely

it's fairly bitter, actually, and there's a good amount of malty sweetness floating around under the smoke flavors. the smoke is prevelent enough that i can't really imagine what the beer would taste like without it, but i doubt it is meant to be a beer with a smokey hint. it's a smoke beast and i love it!

11-02-2006 04:29:55 | More by bruachan
MaltyGoodness

16.9 oz bottle

Pours a clear dark chestnut brown with ruby highlights. Has a small tan head that recedes. Spotty lacing on the glass.

Smell is smoke dominated, but a little less powerful than in the marzen. Also, unlike the marzen, there is a slight hop presence in the aroma.

Bold smokey flavor with a light sweetness and just a slight amount of hops. Finishes mildly sweet with a lingering smokiness.

Medium body, mild carbonation.

Another great smoked beer from this brewery. Quite similar to the marzen - with a little less overall smokiness (if that's possible), a slight notion of hops, and a bit sweeter at the finish. Quite enjoyable and drinkable.

10-24-2006 01:54:05 | More by MaltyGoodness
mrasskicktastic

2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

A - A deep brown color with a one finger head that lingers for about a minute before vanishing. No lacing.

S - Burnt hickory. Heavily smoked jerky. Caramel malt. A lot of campfire. This actually smells . . . nostalgic. I kind of like the smell, but it certainly difficult to rate because it is something so bizarre that whatever opinion I will be wrong on account of there being nothing fundamentally right about the concept of this beer. After a few sips the smell is no longer inviting. The nostalgia is replaced by painful memories . . . memories of the last time I sipped the beer.

T - Burnt hickory. A bit of a caramel malt in the foretaste. Mostly campfire in the aftertaste. As in gnawing on blacken logs. There is also some faint hop bitterness. It is strange to say the least. After a few sips it is horrendously univiting. This isn't even an acquired taste, drinking this is like eating campfire ash. It just goes against the natural order.

M - Smooth, thick, somewhat refreshing, although the flavor makes me believe otherwise.

D - Not good. It is worth trying, especially if you are a masochist. I tried to have this with some food (teriyaki pork loin, tortillas with black bean and corn salsa and jalapeno foccaccia) and nothing worked well (the salsa wasn't too terrible, but it was better without the beer). I imagine that the only successful pairings with this would be meat so heavily smoked that the beer's smokiness is overshadowed, but at that point, why not just have different beer? I was scared of this one, I really wanted to enjoy it, but it proved too repulsive. I have to give this to the drain. This is one style that I am glad not to see many breweries imitating in the states.

Note: Everything here, save the drinkability, was reviewed "to style." It's taste was not a "pleasant" smokiness, unlike the aroma.

10-18-2006 03:55:33 | More by mrasskicktastic
jeffjfindley

3.55/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Great, dark reddish-brown. Rich head stays with you for the duration of the beverage.

Smell: Smokin' mocha, little beef jerky... Really rich, and more than a little bit odd. Little hoppy at the back end. Believe it or not, this actually works.

Taste: Good... Not a brew I would want to indulge in more than a couple of times a year, but I will enjoy those couple of times. One thing, though... Don't savor this one for too long or she'll start to turn on you. Seriously, don't let this get above 45 degrees. Eat some crackers or something afterwards too, because if you don't cleanse the fuck out of your palate you're gonna be carrying around an aftertaste of tri-tip for the next few hours.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth without sacrificing refreshment value. Malty throughout, with a nice dry finish.

Drinkability: I'm gonna do this again, but not terribly often. This is a very interesting libation that will be reserved for special, and smoky occasions here at Chez Jeff.

10-09-2006 04:58:46 | More by jeffjfindley
goschool

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

This is by far the hardest beer review I've ever tried to write. I'm a quarter of the way into this and I don't even know if I like it or hate it.

Well, I can do the appearance now. It looks good. Dark amber, slowly fading off-white head.

I'll go through the aromas and flavors now and I'll reveal my verdict afterwards, once I make it. The nose is dominated by smoky cured meat with a dash of caramel malts. The taste has overcooked smoked ham/sausage (I don't eat pork, but this tastes like smoked ham and smoked sausage smells) as well as sea salts, caramel malts, and a tiny bit of spicy noble hops topped off by a hint of warming alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and chewy. The smokiness sticks around forever.

Drinkability? Even if this tastes good, I wouldn't want another one of these for at least a couple of months.

What a stupid concept for a beer style. "Let's make a beer that tastes like burnt meat." I like it though. It works... somehow.

09-28-2006 05:44:39 | More by goschool
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours caramel/mahogony with a 4 fingers+ light tan head. Very good head retention& good lacing

S: Like walking into a smokehouse with hints of caramel

T: Smoked ham with a strong side of caramel & hint of hops. Maltyness sneaks in as it warms, along with some faint treacle/molasees. Finishes dry, with more caramel & smokyness

MF: Rich, bordering on thick bodied, perfect carbonation & super balance style-wise, loads of malt to counter the smoke

this drinks a lot easier with some BBQ or some other complimentry food. & add another ,5-1 point when you drink this in Bamberg on draft/outta the barrel. Drinking a half liter at the source with a nice schweinhaxen & some other Franconian goodies takes it to a straight across the boards 5. This the gold stanard for rauch biers IMO, although they have serveral respectable rivals in Bamberg. Had this bottled many times in Germany & this bottle was as good as any I had there! A world classic

09-10-2006 03:43:15 | More by russpowell
gosurfobx

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a deep reddish brown color with a large off-white head. Smells strongly of smoke, reminds me of bacon. Like the smell the taste is dominated by the smoke flavor. A friend once said the beer reminded him of liquid bacon. The mouth is pretty good, with good carbination. A good introduction to smoked beer but not for everyone.

09-03-2006 01:07:30 | More by gosurfobx
phisig137

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a deep bourbon, ruby brown color, and a vigarous pour results in a 1/2 finger head. Foam slowly falls, leaving only traces behind.

Aroma is positively smokey. Overtones of charcoal, oak, hazelnuts, hickory, and pork come through. Quite intense, but somewhat one sided.

Flavor on the other hand is rather intricate and delicate, considering the "volume" of flavor here. Smoke obviously dominates, along with the charictaristic "bacon" flavor. Also hidden in there are leather, tobacco, mustiness, slight malt sugars, and a slight hint of hops on the finish. Quite enjoyable if you know what you're getting into. Mouthfeel is very heavy and creamy. Drinkability is good for the style.

I love this beer with brats, or any grilled meat. Also try it as a turkey marinade/basting liquid.... works quite well. Great beer from an old-world style. This one beer makes me wish that there were more Rauchbiers available.

09-02-2006 03:44:16 | More by phisig137
OhioBulldog

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Wow I'ts been a long time since I've noted a beer, I'm sure I need to refine my senses again, this may not be the best, also is my first attempt with a Rauchbier and an Urbock.

Appearance
Very dark carmel brown with a nice creamy head. Slightly translucent. The head lasts for quite awhile and leaves a bit of lacing. Can't complain too much.
Nose
As one would expect there is a strong smoke overtone to the brew. under the smoke is a very roasty malt smell.
Taste
Initially very roasty and smokey, after a little more rolling, the beer is surprisingly balanced, a little malt sweetness, and a spice note from the alcohol and hops. In the finish the hops drys it up nicely.
Mouthfeel
Smooth but possibly a little thin
Drinkability
I am enjoying this one, but I don't think I could do more than 1 or 2, the smoke flavours can get a little old.
Overall I am surprised and might have to try this style again sometime

09-01-2006 02:44:35 | More by OhioBulldog
Pegasus

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Clear deep copper color, with a modest white head, small carbonation, and slight lacing.

Aroma: Massive aroma of smoked sausage, fantastically over-the-top.

Taste: Strong smoky malt flavor at the open, with a mildly sweet malt undercurrent beneath, slightly sweet at the finish, but the smoked malt remains omnipresent.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, full, and pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Quite excellent, although not a session beer. Would likely pair exceptionally well with barbecue or smoked meats, and strong cheeses.

08-30-2006 02:38:52 | More by Pegasus
hero27

3.2/5  rDev -22.5%

16.9 oz bottle.
6.5% abv.

Glugs out from the bottle a mostly clear ruby-brown. A good sized off-white head sits atop and lasts for quite some time.
Beef jerky, campfire smoke, and charcoal...man, this stuff is smoky...
Like liquid beef jerky, really...very meaty. I'm a red meat guy, through and through, and even worked as a butcher for a stint in high school & college..but this isn't exactly my cup of tea. I enjoyed it, but smoke beers just don't do much for me. Certainly an acquired taste, but I've yet to "get" this style. Maybe someday I'll come around.
As far as the style goes, I would say this is one of the better smoke brews I've had.

08-21-2006 03:25:55 | More by hero27
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up in Michigan (thanks Eric!).

A: Dark brown, cola colour, off-white head, some retention, good lace.

S: Sausage? Smokey, spicy, bready, with a little nut & caramel.

T: Spicy, bready, a little nut & caramel, dark raisin, pleasant bittersweet balance. It's smokey, but not as much as the aroma seemed to indicate.

M: Fairly full body is creamy, with a little syrupy sweetness in the finish. Carbonation is moderate.

D: It's fairly bold, but the drinkability is decent.

08-11-2006 00:35:31 | More by Derek
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a big bottle to a big glass mug. The liquid is a bold looking dark rust color, quite striking. A big 3 finger dark tan head is very surprising coming from this thick and heavy looking beer.

The smell is of very smoke malt. Kind of like that camp fire smothered in water smell, woody & burnt.

The taste is.. well smoky, but complex, other things going on. Big bock malt taste and some hops to add some balance.

Mouthfeel is a of a lighter body then expected. great carbonation, all-around very well done.

Drinkability is not bad, great for the style. Prosit, MK

08-09-2006 04:38:56 | More by MuenchenerKindl
redwolf1

2.93/5  rDev -29.1%

I must say the mere mention of smoke in the description of this one was what drew me in. Very intriguing at first until I took a whiff of it. Extremely strong smell of liquid smoke, which for some may make it unbearable. Very dark brown/almost black in color with very little foam or lacing albeit the glass given to me was much too small for the 0.5 liter bottle. As for taste and mouthfeel, this was my first smokebeer, so I was taken aback by the flavors a bit. If you can get past the intense burnt wood smell, you will notice that the beer itself is rather smooth, malty, and quite crisp. Very light on the tongue yet chewy at the same time if you can believe that. As for drinkability, this is definitely not a session beer, and it should definitely be paired with something grilled on the backyard BBQ. The smokiness would go well with steaks and ribs; its crispness and levity would go well with chicken and pork. Overall though, at $8 a bottle, once and done is enough for me.

08-07-2006 01:32:18 | More by redwolf1
pmcadamis

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours black with a huge three finger creamy tan head that receded within minutes to a very thin lace. Color is black and it's almost purple when held up to the light.

Smells like a campfire with hints of beef jerky, sausage,barbeque sauce and smoked pork. The wet-campfire smell reminds me of how my dad (a firefighter) smelled when he came home from work when I was a little kid.

Tastes very barbeque-like, also quite salty. Initial taste is almost like soy or terrryaki, but the aftertaste is more of a woody mesquite flavor. Decent carbination, and the alcohol is almost undetectable. Somewhat sweet, but yeah, definitly salty. Smells and tastes like autumn weather when people are BBQing and burning leaves. It makes me think of football and hooded sweatshirts.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and actually very light considering this beer's intense flavor.

This is a very meaty, salty beer! As I kept drinking, the salty soy sauce flavor was a little overwhelming. With this beer, a little goes a long way. Not a session beer. I liked it at first, but after the first half it became almost undrinkable (hence the low drinkability score).

This is my first rauchbier, and although I enjoyed the novelty of the smoke flavor, this one was maybe a little too powerful for my taste. I should have tried the Marzen first. If you are drinking this, check out the website for Schlenkerla....it's very interesting. This beer has alot of history behind it.
---
The first time I reviewed this beer (above), I was not ready for or expecting the intense smokey flavor of a rauchbier. I recently revisited this one, and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I am starting to develop a taste for rauchbiers...as long as you know ahead of time what to excpect, Schlenkerla's Urbock is a damn fine brew. I have re-evaluated my scoring (originaly I gave this 3.5,4.5,3.0,3.0, and 1.5 respectively for a score of 3.25.

08-04-2006 08:19:24 | More by pmcadamis
expatsteve

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Ruby brown porter color. Thin head, low/medium viscosity. Low/medium clarity.

Aroma: Smoky bacon aroma, which covers most of the nose. Some toffee and brown sugar notes.

Taste: Sweet chocolate and raisin flavor, definitely appropriate for the bock style. Malts are mediated by smoky bitterness, that is reminiscent of roasted soybeans. Raisins across the whole palate, with some sugars in the finish. A well-constructed bock that is augmented and improved by the smoked character.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with the smokiness being almost counterintuitively refreshing. Low/medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Drinkable both as a bock and as a smokebeer. Malts and smoke balance each other well, and neither overwhelms the palate. Slightly lighter body supports the complex cross of flavors. Sessionable for smoke beer fans

07-10-2006 04:09:47 | More by expatsteve
Golden2wenty1

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle split with expatsteve during World Cup final pre-game.

Pours a dark, rusty amber with a short creamy tan head that revives well with a bit of a swirl and exhibits a nice viscosity.

Nose is dominated by smoke obviously, as notes of dark fruit and copper struggle through.

Taste is again mostly smoke, with some bock-y sweet maltiness and fruit. Finish is clean as most of the smoke is overtaken by the sweet malt.

Mouthfeel is much lighter than anticipated with creamy-light carbonation.

Overall a pretty tasty smoked bock. I think I prefer New Glarus' Smoked Rye Bock with its complexity but this is tasty nonetheless. A bottle or two would probably be it for me though.

07-09-2006 17:40:06 | More by Golden2wenty1
NEhophead

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

1pt 09fl oz brown bottle.

Pours a dark maple; almost opaque in spots. Creamy white head that settles to a whispy sheet. Little to no lacing.

Intensely smokey aroma; a touch of rubber and leather. Mesquite peppered spice. Aged cheddar. Very complex and unique.

Mild molasses-like sweetness covered by the smokey flavor: cream, green chiles, and crushed black pepper. The finish is smooth, creamy, and a touch vaporous. Roasted malts, creamy caramel and mesquite barbecue fill the aftertaste. Not as smokey in terms of flavor as the aroma promises.

Medium bodied; creamy, gaseous. Smooth and wonderfully unobtrusive on the palate.

Delicious maltiness and unique mesquite, smokey character. A nice full-flavored bock on its own, but the smoked barbecue quality makes this one quite dynamic.

07-09-2006 17:23:59 | More by NEhophead
kimcgolf

Georgia

1.15/5  rDev -72.2%

Let’s see, where do I begin?
....Appearance... Nice chocolate brown with tan head and good lacing
...Aroma..like the time a house burned in our neighborhood, and the wet, damp, smoky smell afterward
...Flavor...drinking the runoff from that fire
...Palate...cook a steak extremely well done, throw out steak, eat charcoal..that’s it

Try as I might, I could not finish this.

THIS CRAP WAS HORRIBLE!!

07-09-2006 11:48:38 | More by kimcgolf
geexploitation

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Pleasing appearance, with ruby red highlights in the midst of coffee-dark brown, with a wheat-colored head that sticks around in the form of a substantial ring. Huge smoke aroma, like smoked gouda cheese dominates, but there's a discernable sweet malt backing typical of any German bock. On the palate, the smoke is there and up front, but the initial taste of this beer is quite sweet, with bock-y malts (molasses, big time) showing through. The smoke mixes well with those malts in the mid-palate, while the finish switches with a snap over to pure smoke. The finish holds on for a while. Pretty smooth mouthfeel, owing to the huge malt component, but drinkability, without a food to match this with, is pretty low. Without that, the smoke is a bit much for me to down a whole 500 ml bottle.

07-06-2006 02:12:41 | More by geexploitation
blackie

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

appearance: The pour gives a 0.6" khaki head that soon recedes to a thin layer and ring around the glass, and soon thereafter becomes placid. The beer is a medium-dark reddish brown in color.

smell: German pale and toasted malts bring with them a dark tree fruit like sweetness with some hints of date and plum. The smoke is there, but not too bold...I'd almost like a touch more of it. Smells subtly like an old fashioned smokehouse filled with hanging meats and fish. Light noble hop aroma.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a high medium, and the body medium or so.

taste: Nice blend of toasted caramel and German pale malts and smoke. The smoke is easily noticeable, with a flavor not unlike smoked meats...absolutely delicious. Sweet and smoky...would go great with a dry rubbed meat on the smoker. Not much hop flavor, which is good as it would kill the smoke. A moderate, crisp bitterness is found.

drinkability: damn good