Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros

this was my first smokebeer. it was not as dark as i imagined. i used a goblet & there was no head but i dont know if this is because i poured it slow or not. it took me longer than usual to finish this & determined that smokebeer isnt for me although i didnt hate it. mouth feel was lighter than expected not thick like a stout. this beer would probably go well with something from the charcoal grill. this is also my first review.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

500ml bottle bought online from the Cracked Kettle, Amsterdam...

Poured a deep dark mahogany red colour. Creamy tan head poured small but quite thick then faded fairly quickly to wispy covering with thick edges... barely any carbonation... some thin lacing...

Aroma - Rich deep smoked meatiness - bacon and gammon spring to mind, smoked beach and oak wood, quite sweet with treacle and molasses hints, leathery, dark fruits (raisins and dates), toasted bready malts, nut brown butter..

Taste - As with the aroma the sweet smokey malts are to the fore, also some molasses sweetness, hickory, dried spicy fruits (raisins, sultanas), also some toffee apple notes, definite cured meats, some of the 6.5% alcohol is just noticeable, toasted malt loaf, peppery, some nutmeg...

Feel - Quite smooth but not as rich as i was expecting... medium bodied... very quaffable for a 6.5% brew - i could happily knock a few of these back...

Overall - Another excellent rauchbier from Schlenkerla... definitely recommended...

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

Had this at Max's during their German Beer Fest. Poured with a little head, but after the initial head was gone, couldn't get it back. No lacing at all.

The smell, wow, am I smelling a beer or a nice bit of smoked meat here? Awesome smells I had here.

Now the taste here was the beer felll flat in my opinion, this being my first "smoke beer" this might be obvious I wouldn't quite like it at first, maybe its an acquired taste. The smokey taste was overwhelming, which for someone who like the style would probably be great, but for me it wasn't so. Along with that came some nice maltness, with a hint of sweetness and bitterness here. The mouth was very full bodied, keep with the smokey theme here(which was good here like with the smell), like a stout.

Easily the most interesting beer I've ever had, I'll most likely give this beer and the style overall another chance, but the smokiness was more then I had bargained with

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

This is one hell of a beer.

A - Clear, but a very dark brown. A finger, slightly less, of off white foam rises. The retention is moderate, falling to a thick collar. There's actually quite a bit of lacing.

S - Smoky, but amazingly complex. BBQ and mesquite flavors come to mind. Oak, sausage, BBQ potato chips, even a touch of brown sugar. This couldn't get any better.

T - All the smoke and mesquite from the nose are present, but instead of dominating, they ride a wave of wonderfully sweet malt. Spicy flavors kick it at first, reminding me of coriander, cumin, red pepper, and even a touch of garlic. The sweetness takes over with rich molasses notes and a healthy dose of what seems like vinegar. The finish is full of the actual smoke and wood notes, leaving a pleasant aftertaste. This stuff is like liquid barbeque sauce.

M - Medium bodied, quite creamy, very substantial for a lager. Carbonation is low but this works perfectly.

D - For a beer that's this far off the beaten path, this is pretty damn drinkable. I'm already looking forward to having another one before too long. Though I've enjoyed my other two experiences with Aecht Schlenkerla (the Marzen and Weizen) this one broke new ground. It wasn't simply a thin beer with smoke overtones, it was an entire symphony of cohesive flavor.

Highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

I don't have as much to say as my usual review, so this will be short. On to the beer:

A- Brown cola color. Bubbly head on top with solid head retention.

S- Smoked meats, beef jerky. My mouth is watering!!

T- There are bits of porter-like smoked character, but the smoked meat character is huge in this beer. It's different from anything I've ever had at this point.

M- Medium heavy, fat and chewy with little carbonation.

D- A half-liter will do fine for me, though I would like another. Paired well with the bratwurst I had for dinner.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep deep brown color with an average white head that settled into a light ring. The aroma is of smoke, smoke, and more smoke. There are seared meat and jerky aromas, charcoal, wood, anything that resembles a grill or campfire. A big smoke and meat flavor punches upfront but the Urbock has a malt backbone that punches back, unlike their other offerings. Nice char flavor, along with wood and peat, and rounded out with a lightly roasted malt. This is what I imagine an old, old, old, old school beer tasting like. The feel is still fairly light for such a strong flavored brew. It has soft carbonation with a sweet (and savory) finish. I feel that I should be eating a leg of cow or something. The pinnacle of smoked brews, can't get more smokey, except for the other brews in their lineup. This one is tops due to a nice malt presence. Can't drink a lot of these but look forward to having one by my fire pit come colder weather.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle

Poured a very dark brown with a little bit of red, very thin tan head that quickly dissipated in to very light lacing.

Smelled very smokey, similar to smoked bacon or jerky.

Tasted of smoked meat, mainly bacon. That's all I really got from it. An excellent smoked beer that would go well with breakfast foods.

I can't see myself drinking more than one of these at a time, the taste and mouthfeel are good but there is a strong resonant after taste that lingers and too much I feel may ruin it. I poured this chilled but enjoyed it more after it warmed up a bit. I may get this again in winter time and see if that makes a difference in the number I'd be willing to drink.

In short, this is a bacon beer, it looks smells and tastes like liquid bacon.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Poured a dark ruby-brown with a 1 finger dirty white head that soon dissipated without much lacing.

S: a nice smoked woodiness, with some smoked meat (bacon, beef jerky) with some smoked pork.

T: The flavor had some sweet burnt caramel, and fresh campfire smoke and minerality. There was a light charred woodiness, smoked meat (bacon) with some saltiness. A beautiful smoky deep roasted character that lingers on. Considered one of the prime examples of style and rightfully so.

M: dry, smoky, with a medium body and a slight oily texture. There was a moderately strong carbonation and nice lingering smokiness long after the swallow.

D: Very good I thought, once you get used to the style and this brand especially, all others will pale by comparison. Multiples may be limited but one or two will be sure to leave you satisfied for the night.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - Dark brown but when held up to a light there is plenty of red. (Suspiciously close to the color of cooked bacon...more on that later)

Smell - A lot of smoke, meat, and spice smell.

Taste - This tastes spot on like bacon, I am dead serious. I had one bottle left and ate it with scrambled eggs for breakfast, absolutely fantastic combination.

Mouthfeel - Excellent

Drinkability - Very good, not at all a session beer but a pint was excellent.

Drinking this was an experience and it's unlike anything I have tried before. I doubt I would ever buy it again, but it is certainly worth one try for any beer geek.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Smokey treat indeed! Wow I'm constantly amazed at how diverse beer can be and this one is amazingly out there. Aroma is heavily smoked malty and meaty, how could this not deserve a 10. Pour is dark and opaque creating a fluffy off white head leaving generous amounts of lacing. Mouthfeel is creamy and surprisingly delicate. Flavor is in step with the aroma. Smokey and rich and so good. Next time I'm picking up some meats and cheeses and having one hell of a go at it. Incredible.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

From a 500? into a Bristol Motor Speedway mug just as we have the "Gentlemen, start your engines" call from Madame George at the Speedway, hoping that "Smoke" can have a good day in the 20, among others...

Pours spot-on like a root beer - same color, maybe a little less carbonation, dish soapy head - a little lacy and yeasty on top

Balanced scent - not too overpowering but very full. Slight to moderate malt overtones. Maybe a little grass and alcoho, but for the most part, smoked gouda. Wow.

Surprisingly sweet - almost with doppelbock effect. Very meaty and oily. Good carbonation evens this out. Big charcoal and hickory texture. A slight metallic tinge tha tdissipates a bit with warmth. Tastes like a campfire.

Kinda tinny feel to it - sticks to teeth at first. Finish is consistent smoke - long and full. I think I just drank my grill.

The style to me doesn't have inherently high drinkability but this is comparably quite smooth. Enjoyable in the right setting.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

500ml bottle into Scandanavian mug.

Clear deep mahogany color when it's in the light, but on the table it's pretty much dark brown, like bark from a wet maple tree. Some light orange highlights are at the bottom. The head is somewhat thin, light tan, and settles to a bubbly rim.

If you have ever smelled smoke-cured beef jerky, you have smelled this beer. You can smell it even from a couple feet away. There is a light spiciness in there, just like peppered jerky.

The smoke is well infused into the flavor, like liquid campfire. Some toasty grains are in there, mostly masked by the smokiness. The beer is mostly smooth, except for a bit of peppery spiciness. Full bodied with a good amount of carbonation. The smoke flavor lingers for a while after each sip.

This is my first Rachbier, and I have to say it's way up there on my list of favorite styles. The smokey flavor compliments the bock flavors well. This brewery has two others available in the Mid Atlantic: the Marzen and a Weizen. Can't wait for the Marzen. Beware if you're vegetarian - one whiff of this and you'll find yourself in the car on the way to the gas station to grab some Oberto! Recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from the 1pt, 9oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a clear dark brown with some red visible when held to light. Head is light tan and grew to 2 and a half fingers with OK retention.

Smell: Rich and smoky, like barbequed meat. Smoked sausage immediately comes to mind. This character dominates the aroma along with a faint charred note, and it's hard to get anything else. Maybe smoked salmon as well?

Taste: Sweet and roasted malts turn into smoke quickly. Leather and sausage are evident. Finish is very smoky, and sends a bit of the flavor back up into the nostrils after swallowing. However, this smokiness isn't like breathing in a campfire, but more like standing in a meat smoker and sticking your tongue out. Very distinct, and not for the faint of heart.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Thin whisp of a head, nut brown ale color. Dark rich flavors help to balance out the smoke. Goes great with roasted or cured meats and nuts. At first you think the smoke is going to be overwhelming but it always seems to be in the background adding to the complexity of the beer. Very well made and very consistant. Something I would think in this style of beer to be very difficult. Though widely available locally a rare beer. Would like to see this in a cork enclosed 750ml for aging.

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep ruby brown, and smells of smokey outdoors. Quite an incredible smell that makes you want to eat some smoked sausage. Has a decent off-white head that sticks around and leave lacing. The flavor is quite like the smell, a little bit of metallic, yet really smokey and tasty. This is a great example of the style, and should be sought out if you have never had a smoked beer. It is quite strong tasting with a medium to heavy body. I don't think I could drink too many of these, and my mouth tastes like I smoked a cigar when I'm finished with the bottle.

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Had this on tap in Bamberg

A : It was a nice dark brown with a good head

S : BBQ, bacon, smoked pork, heaven.

T : The only way to describe it was liquid bacon. Really rich. Also, lots of smoke flavor.

M : Rich, creamy, meal in a glass

D : I loved this beer and wish I could easily get it on draft here. I've had it in the bottle but that in no way compares to the goodness on tap.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

500mL bottle purchased from Arbor Place Bev, Douglasville, GA. Enjoyed as it should be - with grilled BBQ

Aroma: The smoked flavor brings a lot of character to the nose, and wurst comes to mind

Appearance: The body is a semi-transparent dark brown, with a golden tint, and a super-thin head that just rings the glass ever so slightly, leaving essentially no lacing

Taste: A very smooth beer with the smoked malt being the only thing that comes out. The taste is as if I am gnawing on jerky. It is so dominant, yet not offensive as it really walks that line between delicious and too much. Virtually no sign of hops in this beer

Feel: Medium-bodied, this one is a nice sipper that just glides over the tongue. Very little carbonation

Drinkability: I've only had a handful of smoked beers, but this one is the best to date as far as drinkability goes. But, with that said, I can't rate the drinkabilty too high simply because its not something I am in the mood for very often, and I really do need to be eating meat when I am - otherwise I will be salivating for BBQ until I get some.

The rauchbier's from Schlenkerla are all good beers for certain occasions, and the ur-bock has proven to be a great match with grilled meat this Memorial Day

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Served in a big wine glass at 56 F/ 13 C.

Dark amber-brown color, bubbly beige head, trails and blips of lace.

Smells like wood smoke - campfire, bacon, smoked salmon - with rich brown bready malt, and more mildly, ripe banana, singed raisin, and grass.

Tastes smooth and balanced, with plenty of smoke. Smoky roast and rich mildly sweet malt complement each other very well. Some banana and raisin. Grassy hop bitterness becomes noticeable, and the sweetness mostly fades. Smooth natural smoke permeates everything. Long finish of brown bready malt, bitterness, and smoke.

Finely, smoothly carbonated. A bit of slickness. A pleasure to drink.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

16.9oz bottle into SA glass

A: brown with burgundy. one finger slight off white head

S: smoke, ham, pork sausage. smells like a hibachi

T: smoker chips hit first but a malty sweetness comes through in nice balance. woody

M: medium bodied with a little more carbonation than expected. a little sweet

D: I love rauchbiers and this is another damn fine one from them. That said, 1 or 2 at a sitting is the limit with the urbock. The marzen or the weizen? i could have more

16.9oz bottle into a stange.

Pours a deep dark brown with some ruby highlights. Has a nice head that leaves good lacing.

Smell is of course smoke, but it is a bit more subdued than other of the Schlenkerla line. Love that campfire!

Taste is again a subtle smokiness. Campfire and roasted meat.

Overall, this is a really nice smokedbeer. My favorite of the Schlenkerla brews, pairs nicely with a smoked cheddar and french rolls.

The Urbock pours a very dark brown or ruby color with a thin wispy head. It looks like a nice dark beer with nothing to hide.

Once the glass gets within 6 inches of my nose I can smell that famous smokiness. This stuff smells smokier than any other beer I've ever smelled (except the other Schlenkerla beers of course!). It instantly reminds me of smoked meats and beer jerky.

Tastes very, very good. Its also very, very smoky! Its definitely intense but you get over that and can really enjoy the uniqueness of this style. There is some malt sweetness that goes very well with the smoke taste.

The finish is very smooth and its quite drinkable. I'll have to give the other styles a chance and see what other flavors stand out that make them different.

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

We got a shipment of the Marzen at my store and people always give me a strange look when I say the beer tastes like smoked sausage. So I was very excited to try the Urbock because the Marzen was so delicious. I enjoyed it slightly chilled in my Warstiener mug. Poured a thick reddish brown color. The nose was delightful with wonderful smokey malts and a bit of an earthy quality. The taste was heavenly with sweet smoke and peat staying silky smooth on the tongue with a clean finish. One hell of a beer!

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

dark ruby brown that is just light enough to see through. its a got a two finger head that falls to a thick film that laces well.
the aroma has got that smell of sausage or smoked bacon that is the hallmark of a good rauchbier. nuts and caramel can be found in there too, but the smoke dominates.
the taste has got plenty of smoke, but is balanced with some soft nutty caramel and powdered cocoa. it's got a toasted (maybe a little burnt) sourdough type flavor. you pick up some notes of dark fruitiness nearly buried underneath the smoke, mainly of the fig, raisin type variety.
the body is fuller medium, with soft carbonation, giving it the nice chewy mouthfeel this kind of beer deserves.
good drinkability the smoke doesn't hinder things in the way you might think, and as you drink it recedes a little letting other flavors shine. the best rauchbier i've had to date.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

a: This was a clear golden copper color. It pours with a big frothy white head that fades fairly quickly.

s: Mild sweet malts and smoke. The smoke is mild at first, but becomes more pronounced over time. I think I smelled some toasted poppy seeds as well.

t: A hint of smoke upfront gives way to moderately sweet, peaty malts. The finish is like eating a camp fire, but in a good way. Tastes a bit like burnt pretzels, also in a good way.

m: This was well carbonated and crisp feeling. The charred smoke flavor lingers for a long time.

d: I'm not often in the mood for smoked beers, but this is one I'd like to have again.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Pours a deep brown with only the faintest of ruby around the edges. Light has a hard time passing through the one, with half an inch of thick tan head that left heavy lacing.

S - BEANS, smokey beans and meat. This is the dominat arome from this beer, there is little to no noticable malts or hops, the aroma is simply taken over by this smoked meat and beans smell.

T - An over the top extreme flavors of BBQ, as if they simply squeezed a steak and pork`n`beans into a glass.

M - Full-bodied and syrupy in texture but very smooth and leaves a formitable aftertaste that lasts long ofter the beer.

D - For what the beer is it is a work of art, but can only be truely appricated once in a while.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla