Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into an Eichhof Bier mug. Very dark brown body with ruby hues. Nice rocky tan head of 2 fingers leaves a ton of lacing.

Aroma is of honey glazed ham, with a nice smoked character and burnt caramel.

Taste is less smokey than the smell, but it's still there with a meaty sweetness. There's also a soft fruitiness akin to that of an altbier.

Finish is dry and smokey, carbonation is modest. Pretty mellow and easy to drink.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

BB 06/2008, Served chilled in a weizen glass.

A: brown-ish hue with liquidy caramely hints, coming with a very creamy and tight beige froth, on top of moderate fizziness. Looking good.
S: very deep and thick note of salty&smoked fish and meat (esp. the famous Hunanese-style), beech-woody, and underlined by a rich caramely-nutty maltiness (w/o the sweet edge). Being intense and heavy, the aroma slightly lacks complexity as in other sister products.
T: incredibly delicious with a prevalent smokey salt-sweetness as in smoked ham as well as Chinese smoked longan-fruits (with shells), then leading towards a dry-ish hoppiness and rather bitter finish, against a solid backdrop of nutty malts. The long finish is herbal- and woody- bitter, on top of an everlasting and intense smokiness. Simply superb...
M&D: mildly spritzy and softly textured, this beer drinks absolutely great, smooth, and refreshing, with a full body yet very little hint of alc. Having tried the draught version last month at the NWAF 2008 that was spot-on, I first had some reservation about this bottled version; but now it's proved to be almost just as nice. For me this is a more-ish smoked beer, and a brilliant drink.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

I sat down to review this beer a few nights ago, only to discover the Intertrons and my computer weren't getting along. But that's all better now, so I'm posting from my notes.

Appearance: Dark brown. Lets a fair bit of light through. Cream-colored head dissipates to a lace on top of the beer.

Nose: It's hard to pick anything out over the smoke -- maybe a hint of caramelized sugar? I love smokebeers (maybe it's a palate compensation for not eating red meat?), so I don't mind that being the overwhelming character in the smell. It makes me want to gnaw on it!

Taste: Smoke is less pronounced than in the nose. It has a moderately strong malt character and is a bit metallic in the aftertaste -- that metallic thing makes it a 4 instead of a 4.5.

Mouth: not oily or cloying. Actually a little thin for what the taste suggests, and though the body is true to the bock style, it could stand to be a bit thicker to support the sweetness and smoke. Carbonation is noticeable.

Drinkability: If you like a smokebeer, not too hard to knock a couple of these back.

One of the best on the planet!

Had this beer on tap in October, took notes, got really intoxicated several times, and lost my notes somewhere in Munich. (I think)

This beer is absolutely beautiful. Sat at a table with my brother (ungespundet) and our great friend (TTU94) and an elderly German couple who we shot the shit with via a translator (Ungespundet).

Dark, smoky, complex, in your face beer. Not for the faint hearted at all. But if you can make it, this is one of those rare beers that you will remember for a long time. Although the alchohol content may make you forget everything else.

If you get the chance to go to Germany, stop in Bamberg and visit this and the other 10 or so breweries and you will be in beer heaven.

Prosit!

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

From a brewery that specializes in world-class smoked beers, this, along with their Marzen, are probably some of the best smoked beers in the world... this one certainly lives up to the reputation, pours a jet-black, ebony color with slight-tan head... smell is all smoked flavors, with dark, warming, grainy, fish-like aroma... taste is very thick, rich, and full of intricate smoked flavors... as expected, the smoked flavor is very pronounced and hard-hitting, it really comes through... would be a great beer to pair with meats and other smoked foods, perhaps sushi... an all-around, outstanding brew... good mouthfeel, average drinkability due to the rich, thick flavor... very flavorful brew... an amazing depiction of the style... if you like smoked beers you will love this one... can't get much closer to a great representation of the style... Recommended...

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Been looking for this one for a while. Found it in a homebrew shop that also sells some decent micros and imports.
A - Poured into a 500ml stein a dark copper colour with an inch of fluffy beige head.
S - Intense smoked meat aroma. Some vauge sweet caramel.
T - Very much like the smell, even a little bit more intense.
M - Medium to full bodied with a fairly high level of carbonation.
D - Not for everyone but personally I love it. Not something to drink all the time, just a treat every now and then.

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a deep brown with thin tannish head. Nose is a little smokey but not that much, I really had to sniff to get some good nose. Taste was smokey the moment it hits the mouth and down. It tasted of smoke and something else I could not put my finger on. Someone below aid ham and that seems pretty close. Some type of meat. Overall,it lived up to its name and it was different for me. Good beer and a great beer for a change of pace.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle: Poured a deep brown color ale with a big foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma is totally dominated by smoked ham notes with some malt. Taste is also dominated by some smoked bacon notes with some nice malt backbone. Body is full with limited filtration and good carbonation. I am not sure if I am getting used to drinking smoke beer but I thought this went down better then the marzen that I had a year or two ago.

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours deep, deep brown with slight hints of red. Very nice three finger head, tan with brown highlights. The aromas are subtle, hints of smoked, candied fruit. The beer is very smooth. Smoky, raisin like flovors. The beer is not deep with flavor, it seems a bit hollow. The finish is thick, almost like a barley wine. Its a decent brew.

1 pt, 0.9oz bottle poured into a large Weizen glass.

A = Dark amber red color, medium head of small to medium bubbles which leaves good lacing as it dissipates. Dark e ough that I do not see any carbonation bubble though I m sure it is well carbonated from the mouthfeel.

S = Smoke at first, obviously, but after awhile it settles down to a more normal German urbock with a smoey overtone. I can smell the original sweetness of the malt wort, but it is balanced well with bitternes.

T = Strong smoke flavor, mostly of oak but also some fruit scents, possibly apple, the malt sweetness is there in the middle taste and the finish is long and consists ot betters and smoke. I would like to try this with a good cigar (maybe the new Churchill series of Davidoff) after dinner. I think it would pair very well.

M = Relatively light given the strong smell but no more than is to be expected from a lager, even an urbock. Coats mouth pretty well and sustains a long dry finish.

D = This is a very particularized beer for me: I really like it but can only imagine a couple occasions where I would choose it because its style is so distinctive. Not for everyday drinking but is tasty.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Pours a deep and clear ruby orange or stained mahogany, with a one inch sandy head that leaves a good bit of lacing behind on the glass.

S: Not as overpowering as I would have imagined, I mean that smokey meaty scent is there but is not overpowering if that is what you are expecting to find.

T/MF: On the tip of the tongue the malt is quite sweet (sort of like a caramel) as it should be not at all off putting, as the beer slides further back into the mouth the smoke aspects of the beer begin to take over in pleasing ways, there is a strong and pronounced smoke to the beer of course like cured ham or bacon but not so strong as to taste as if those things were put in a blender than bottled, there is an underlying sweetness that keeps this in check and is quite nice actually, very impressed with how this beer stacks up against some of these other reviews. The beer finishes with a prolonged and pleasant not too bitter but bitter enough smokey malt flavor to remind you again that this is a smoked beer.

D: My first true experience with this style and it was not bad at all, really met my expectations of the style though I can't say this is a beer I'd reach for every time the time drinking this was enjoyable.

1.93/5  rDev -53.3%

I love smoked meats, the smell of smoke. I own a smoker and get grilling quite often. So naturally i thought smoked beer! that sounds great! wrong. Ladies and gentlemen this is the first beer i have ever, EVER! poured down the drain. smelled good though, smoky

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

I poured a capped bottle into a chilled chalice.

A: It poured a deep, rich mahogany with tints of cherry hues when back lit. The head was light tan, thin and dissipated quickly to a small ring around the collar. There was modest lacing consisting mostly of thin long legs that trailed down the glass as I drank the beer.

S: It had the smoke in spades. Under the woody smoke aroma was the smell of burnt malts and dark fruits.

T: It exhibited all of the tastes that were hinted at in the aroma. I felt like I was eating a bowl of charred oatmeal heavily dosed with molasses and burnt plums. It had a nice zesty tangy flavor of grapefruit that complemented the malts and gave the drink a balance I was not expecting.

M: It was a light bodied brew with a slightly sour front followed by a malty sweet middle and a zippy zesty finish. There was a clean aftertaste that surprised me given the low ABV. Nice balanced carbonation.

D: Light body, moderate ABV and complex flavors with a clean finish. That's a nice recipe for a very drinkable beer.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into a Stone OG tulip glass
A- Pours the darkest of browns, head is tan, creamy, and mostly sustaining, nice sticky lacing on the glass
S- Nose is dominated by smoke reminiscent of a campfires and BBQ meats, plenty of burnt wood, tinges of charcoal, truly unique, I loved this!
T- Initial taste is just like eating ribs in the south, plenty of smoke, roast, and carbon burning, I am flabbergasted by how much smokiness is in this beer and could only imagine how awesome this would be with a plate of beef brisket, sweet malts are also in there as well, finish is sweet like molasses
M- Medium/full-bodied beer, creamy texture, good carbonation
D- This seems to be the ultimate food-pairing beer and is slightly overwhelming to drink by itself (feels like I'm drinking a meal), truly one of the most unique beers I've had in a while, this is a must-try if you can get your hands on it
Buy again? Probably
Personal score- 88/100

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap poured into a 12oz mug.

All I have to say is WOW. This one was bizarre. Warned by bartenders that it was intense and most wouldnt like, but I have to say I think I enjoyed it.

A: Crimson colored with a fluffy dark head that stayed there for the full beer. Great lacing.

S: Pulled BBQ pork straight off the spicket. Out of control.

T: Were back to the BBQ here, didnt let you down. As advertised. Couldnt believe how much I liked it. This is really like having a liquid meal.

M: Good enough. Did I mentioned this had BBQ characteristics.

D: Obviously, this would be perfect with some good BBQ but also good on its own. Couldnt drink every day but a nice treat.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

16.9 oz bottle. Pours a dark ruby brown with a creamy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is liquid smoke and BBQ pork with some metallic and DMS notes.

The flavor is vegetal malts and some sugary sweetness with a lot of burnt smokiness. It has a crisp bitter smoky finish that lingers. The mouthfeel is medium with velvety carbonation.

Overall, I love the smokiness that comes through. I don't like the off notes in the nose and taste. I'll have to try this one again sometime.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

I have never had this style beer before. So here is a descripti0on of Rauchbier from the Beeradvocate website:

Rauchbier
Description:
The Rauchbier style is an old German beer style, its origins go back to the 1500's and to the district of Franconia and the town of Bamberg. It's typically of dark colour and has similarities of the Oktoberfestbier. Green malts are literally dried over an open fire of beech wood, imparting a unique smokiness ("rauch" is German for smoke), the usage of which produces beers of an acquired taste. Imagine a smokiness so robust, so assertive, that it tastes of spiced, smoked meat.

Ok. Now for the review

Pours dark brown to even black in color. A nice foamy white head that leaves chunks on the side of the glass.

Smells upfront of roasted pig. I have had above ground (baboy) pig roasts from the Philippines. This beer smells wonderfully of that memory. Very very smoky. I have never imagined a beer even smelling any thing like this. Unusual but yet incredible.

Taste. Wow. I do not know what to think. Smokey, bitter chocolates, roasted pork taste, peppery, again...smokey.

Mouthfeel is very chewey to me. Sweet and thick. They suggest pairing this with bbq meats...but this beer is so thick I think IT would fill you up without food.

I had a hard time drinking more than 8 oz of this. Do not get me wrong..I liked it...but plan to buy this one for a bbq....and serve small amounts in a snifter glass to everyone.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured this into my Great Taste of the Midwest Glass because it's the only cylinder shaped glass I have and I don't want to pour this into a 2 liter mug. Pours a dark brown color with a thick light brown head. The lacing is strong. Smell is sweet burnt wood that reminds me of pork. There is also a small background of sweet dark malts. The taste is smokey burnt flavors with a slight roasty maltiness. Really reminds me of smoked pork. Mouthfeel is good and smooth. Overall, this is a great beer and I will have this again...I've loved making BBQ sauce with it.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Had on-tap at the Old Bay, in New Brunswick, NJ:

Pours dark brown with a large head that descends to a thin cover.

The smell is of smoked meat with Scotch-like undertones.

The taste is of smoked meat with Scotch-like undertones as well. Very robust/rich.

It is smooth and full-bodied. Very long finish.

A nice one to pair with the obvious - smoked meats. My favorite of the three Rauchbiers I've had from this brewery. Drinkable for style, though still a "special occassion" brew.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a very dark brown, almost black with a thin head. The nose is of smokey sausage up front, but it is maltier on the back end, even slightly winey. Taste is similar. Slightly spicy and nicely smokey up front without being overpowering, then a hit of dry malt with a touch of sweetness, and a deep smokiness on the finish. Complex interplay of the malt and smoke make this beer delicious and intriguing. Very smooth mouthfeel, medium bodied. Very nice example of a Rauchbier, and although smokey, it is kept nicely balnced so that the tastebuds aren't quickly worn out. A killer food beer.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Dark brown with amber highlights and a dense, creamy one-finger head. The nose is dominated by a campfire smokiness and just beyond is some floral and fruity notes here and there, and a little alcohol ester. Smoked malts really cover the regular malt characters initially but some sweetness comes through as it warms. Tartness in the background, light anise notes, earthy, and bitter hops ate the end. Burnt sugar to molasses sweetness becomes more evident. The finish is primarily smokey flavors, chary, and bitter. Nice full mouthfeel with a creamy build and a crispness just before its gone.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance - Pours dark with ruby hues when held to light. Nice off-white head that sticks around.

Smell - SMOKY, campfire, charcoal, wood-oven, ...you get the point.

Taste - Sweet malts, ending semi-dry and smoky. Flavors of meat cooked over an open woodfire. So good.

Mouthfeel - Great body, good carbonation, dry finish

Drinkability - Definitely a good pairer. About to have some chili with this. I would love this by the campfire or any BBQ.

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

This past weekend, I attended a German beer festival at Atlantic Station in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Over a dozen other German brewers were represented including many of the top selling brands. I had heard about the smoked beer from Bamberg, Germany, and was very excited to finally try some.

Fortunately I arrived early enough to get my official beer glass and the lines were not too long. It was almost 100 degrees that day and everyone was suffering from the hot summer. I was almost cooking myself, so the smoked beer seemed appropriate. Wow! the smoked Aecht Urbock Rauchbier was sensational! It did indeed smell like meat that had been cooked to perfection over seasoned wood. The taste was wonderful--unlike any beer I had ever tasted. To my surprise, the taste was not overwhelming where you were satiated and wanted only a small taste. The pleasure of the beer continued glass after glass.

I went to Green's package store on Buford Highway the other day and bought a dozen bottles for myself and to introduce to my beer drinking
friends.

I plan to always keep this beer around and plan to visit Bamberg on my annual spring beer tour.

Highly recommended!

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

This beer is a pretty solid Rauchbier. Poured a dark amber color with a small, tan head. Unfortunately, there was very small retention and no real lacing worth mentioning. The smell was very nice and smoky, reminding me of wooden embers being snuffed out at the end of a big bonfire. The taste was equally as smoky, reminding me a little bit of burnt bacon and again, the taste of the embers. The mouthfeel was nice and full-bodied and it went down pretty smooth. While I am usually a fan of Rauchbiers, halfway through this one I was not really enjoying it so much anymore. It did not really have me asking the bartender for another one. I would definitely give it a go, especially when I was out camping.

This beer is very dark when poured into the glass. I used the side of the glass and ended up with about a 1/2-inch head, which I liked. It smelled smoky, and I was expecting a bit of smoke flavor, but I didn't realize how strong it was. Instantly I felt like I was by a campfire. This beer has a fairly alcoholic undertone, but it can be ignored easily. The mouthfeel is very thick and grainy, making this beer slightly harder to drink than something less flavorful.

All in all, the only problem is that it's such a treat that I couldn't see myself drinking a whole lot of it.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla