Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
beveragecaptain

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

1 pt. 9 fl. oz bottle. Pours out a clear dark amber color. Big smoke aroma, like smoked salmon and smoked ham. The first time I had this beer, I thought the smell was nasty and out of place in a beer, but I have come to enjoy it. That same smoke aroma is also found in the flavor, along with a big maltiness. These flavors complement each other beautifully. No hop flavor. Drinking one of these is great, but I wouldn't call this beer drinkable. Goes well with grilled meat.

04-24-2005 03:10:27 | More by beveragecaptain
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

I have been warming to the smoked beers more and more in the past year. I may even have to brew one myself. This beer poured a rubied dark brown color wtih a lack of head. The nose is big smoke. It smells like jerkey or smoked meat to me. Very intense and full. The Flavor is very much what the nose gave me. The smoke is so big, it is hard to get the nuances of the beer underneat the smoke. I really like it. Wow. The feel is a light moderate with a light carbonation. I really like the big smokyness in the beer. I have now had this beer 3 times and it gets better each and every time.

04-06-2005 02:26:41 | More by kmpitz2
blitz134

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Dark caramel in body with orange hues around the edges. Head was nearly white and settled somewhat quickly. A couple of floaties where seen doing what they do best…floating around. I was skeptical about the ability for a beer to really smell like smoke. I was expecting some heavily toasted malt flavor, but low and behold this really does smell like smoke. There is quite a distinct hickory and oak wood smoke to this and reminds me of some of the local barbeque pits I have around home. Additionally there is a quite recognizable sweet malt aroma which is highlighted by some dark fruit essences. The taste is quite unique and immediately biting on the tongue which covers up some of the initial flavors. Regardless of that I detect essences of the ripe dark fruit which was in the aroma and only some subtle flavors of backwoods campfire. The smoke flavor doesn’t come through in the main body of this beer but towards the finish after the biting sensation has all but passed. Good flavor overall but I was expecting a bit more in the smoke in the flavor department. Mouthfeel is very heavy and it definitely feels that way in my stomach. The extremely heavy mouthfeel brings the drinkability down a bit. This is definitely a beer to try due to its uniqueness.

04-05-2005 03:42:37 | More by blitz134
Citadel82

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Whoa!

This a beer that was born for barbecue...heck it is good 'cue on its own.

The smell of hardwood smoke hits the nostrils shortly after the crown cap is removed.

Pours a gorgeous dark mahogany with ruby highlights when held to the light. Thick creamy tan head fades to persistent thick collar that lasts the time it takes you to drink this Bamberg speciality.

Taste is smoky sweet with a short bitter hop finish. Memories of Arthur Bryant's Ribs, Smokestack's beans, Little Jakes Sausage and Wyandott's Burnt Ends with extra crisp fries. Heaven. Living High in the Hog (or the Steer).

Sticks to the tongue and floods the mouth and nose with the aroma of beech smoke and caramel malts. I logged into Chuck Haddox and the Fish Fry (KCUR FM on the Net) to savor this brew with Blues and Zydeco to complete the repast. A beer such as this deserves to be paired with a feast of smoked meats, slaw, corn bread and good sour pickles.

Makes me want to walk downtown and see the "man" at the "Memphis Pig Out" here in Atlantic Highlands. Yes we have some damn fine ribs and pulled park here in the Atlantic Highlands Y'all come by now..

In the right mood and with the right food this brew is awesome! I will buy this again and again.

03-26-2005 02:25:14 | More by Citadel82
WetCoaster

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: Mahogany with a deep, burnt orange hue. Active carbonation. Loose tan head with fair retention. Collar throughout. No lace.

Smell: Booming, massive, amazing aroma of wood smoke and cured meat. Thick, sweet, slightly tangy malt comes to the fore as the smoke clears. If everything smelled like this, the world would be a better place.

Taste/Mouthfeel: In a word, fantastic. The mouthfeel is pretty light, but still manages to be a bit chewy. Starts with a sweet mouthful of malt, with perhaps a hint of unsweetened chocolate. This, not surprisingly, is soon overtaken by a dee-licious flavor of smoked meat and fragrant, sweet wood smoke. Finish intermingles flavors into a mouthwatering mouthful of Carolina honey-smoked ribmeat. Slight bitterness lingers.

Drinkability: Perfect--if you're in the mood for a smoky flavor. Probably a bit much as a session, but light, huge flavor, great mouthfeel and so, so satisfying. A meal and a drink beside a nice fire--in a glass.

Note: I also sampled their marzen. While slightly lighter and a bit less sweet overall, the two taste so similar I saw no reason to review it. Either will do nicely.

03-22-2005 06:44:29 | More by WetCoaster
Sixpoint

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Unique! Points for style for this one. This beer is grand; I love its esoteric nature.

I had a bottle of this at Spuyten Duyvil (where else?). My sample poured a deep red; almost mahogany. The head was impressive -foamy and clung to the side of the glass.

The aroma? Definitely smelled the beechwood, but other aromas were evident as well. Got deep caramels and melanoidins from a decotion mash?... Definitely a complex brew, not too much hops though...

Taste? Like no other. Smoke, smoke, and more smoke. I could actually feel the essence of the beechwood bellowing up inside. Pretty divine...

The mouthfeel was medium to full-bodied, slightly chewy and viscous. I think this beer would age well.

Overall, a drinkable brew, but I think I would have to set my limit as one or two 20oz. brews in a sitting.

03-19-2005 19:47:34 | More by Sixpoint
guinnessman

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Has a Smokey barbecue aroma, with a smooth mouthfeel. I tasted almonds and subtle hops. After trying the Weizen first I was thought that the Urbock would follow suit and be disappointing. Well, I wasn't greatly impressed. I did find this brew to be much smoother and less aggressive in terms of that Smokey flavor. This would go well with a burger or barbecue

03-06-2005 00:12:47 | More by guinnessman
avylover

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

This is one great looking brew.... Clear Mahogany with rising bubbles and a head that appears "alive". Both big and small bubbles and what appears to be a layer a grease on the head. Smoked pork heavy in the aroma, yum!! The taste is a great mix here. There is sweet caramel maltiness, charcoal smokiness, and and nice dose of salty bacon fat to finish things off. Very big on taste here. Mouthfeel is good, but the carbonation sometimes gets in the way of the taste i'm longing for. Drinkablity - Not very drinkable to be honest, but a great beer nonetheless.

03-01-2005 23:28:28 | More by avylover
Wonka

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev 0%

1 pt. 09 FL. OZ.

Appearance – clear and dense ruby; head is off-white, creamy and chunky; lace is artistic in its prominence and strength

Smell – hickory smoked beef jerky; light cheese

Taste – the smell gives one a great idea of what to expect with the hickory smoked beef jerky and light cheese flavors playing lead roles; dominant malt flavor; late its a bit roasty with caramel and of course smoke

Mouthfeel & Drinkability – medium bodied; light carbonation; malts create a very smooth passage; ends a bit dry

I wasn’t sure what to expect since this was my first rauchbier but it was surely a pleasant experience. There will certainly be a return trip to Brauerei Heller-Trum's products.

02-18-2005 23:41:37 | More by Wonka
IrishRedRock

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Smoke beers are not always my thing, and I wanted to drink this with a good food pairing, so tonight is the night. Pours out with little carbonation, a murky beechwood color. Rich, malty chocolate aroma with hints of charcoal and smoked pork.

Flavor is light on the smoke, which is just right. Smoke beers that taste like cigarettes and burnt meat or too overdone. This one is extremely well balanced between sweet malts, dark fruits, a clove spiciness and roasted game. If I didn't pour this myself from the bottle I would have sworn it was from the cask. Great smooth mouthfeel with only mild carbonation. Exceptionally well done.

02-17-2005 00:26:00 | More by IrishRedRock
Bierguy5

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Deep mahogany to brown color. White foamy head disappears fairly quickly to a thin ring. Aroma seems like a cross between campfire and beef jerky. Can a beer really smell like this? Yes! Sweet malt flavor. Subtle smokiness. Very little hop flavor or bitterness. This beer is all about the malt and the sublte smoke. Based on the aroma, you would think the smoke would dominate, but this is not the case. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Drinkability may suffer, but this is a fantastic beer. Great with smoked meats and cheeses. Try this one for sure.

02-12-2005 04:13:57 | More by Bierguy5
Boilermaker88

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Presented in a 500ml bottle and poured into an imperial pint glass. Clear deep mahogany tone with a building frothy light beige head that settled down to a thin cap and collar and leaving a webby patchwork of lace.
Smell: smokey doesn't do it justice. Forest fire aftermath with an underlying meaty quality. Some countering caramel and malt sweetness with chocolate hints. But, in all truthfulness, it's all about the smoke here.
Taste: Just amazing how the differing types of smoke-infused tastes emerge. Smoked ham first, then some smoked Gouda cheese (one of my favorite cheeses), and then some smoked bacon. The smoky taste just permeated all aspects of the taste here, leaving a charred taste which the malt character couldn't contain. As each taste moved back, it left a moderate bittering on the tongue like when walking through a burnt out area right after a wildfire. There is a solid malt character here consistant with a bock beer but the smoke taste is simply so prevalent that it struggles for attention.
Feel: full, dry, and chewy.
Overall: While I really am taken with this style, it remains so potently smokey that I can only take in one and not all that often. So the drinkability takes a minor hit. Still, Brauerei Heller-Trum has certainly mastered this style of beer and has a devoted fan. Everyone should try this particular beer at least once.

02-08-2005 03:08:49 | More by Boilermaker88
keilerdunkel

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 1/2 liter bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is great, very dark brown, almost as dark as a schwarzbier, but with some red highlights when held up to the light. It had a nice two finger head that dissipated fairly quickly, but left a nice cap and some lacing.

Smell is smoke, malt and more smoke. Its not as smokey as I remember it being though. Like a good BBQ or a small campfire. very pleasant.

Of course, the first thing noticed is the smoke, but then it is followed by some nice malty sweetness and then more smoke and then the hops peek through and followed by more smoke.

This is a very drinkable beer! I am very surprised. I had this with a nice meal and I would highly recommend this beer to anyone. The smoke may be too much on its own, but with food it is just the right amount. The bottle disappeared much too quickly and I was looking for another, that I did not buy since I didn't think I would like it. DAMN! live and learn.

01-21-2005 13:40:38 | More by keilerdunkel
santoslhalper

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearence: Pours a deep copper with a tiny tan head. Head leaves no lacing.

Smell: Smells like BBQ. Incredibly smoky. It almost smells like meat fresh off the grill. I didn't give it a 5 because it does smell a little bit fake.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Again, smoked meats. I tasted the BBQ notes very heavily, but my girlfriend noted bacon. An odd but very interesting tasting beer. The mouthfeel is chewy and rich.

Drinkability and Overall: This is one of the most interesting beers I've had to date. Powerful and agressive. Some people will probably be turned off, especially those of a weaker palate, but I love it. The richest tasting brew my taste buds ever came across.

01-21-2005 05:20:29 | More by santoslhalper
amicar

Missouri

2.88/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours with minimal colorless head and little carbonation into my glass. A very prety dark brown with a tiny bit of red in there somewhere. Whoa- the aroma scares me just a little bit. Smells like that artifical smoke they sometimes add to cheap beef jerkey. Then you taste it and I think I've just snapped into a slim jim; smokiness is the word of the day here; lots and lots of it. I think Jason called the taste like Gouda, someone else said bacon; I really think jerkey and soy sauce. The flavor sticks around for awhile, and I'm not sure I'm happy about it. I really cant detect much in the way of sweetness nor hops. Feels a little thin in the mouth.

So, overall, this was a challenge to taste and a weird one. Not for the faint of heart. This cannot be drunk without food,especially smoky or BBQ foods. It will NOT be for everyone. It does have a flavor that sticks with you and makes you keep taking a few more sips (I guess it's like learning to like blue cheese). But really, I can't imagine finishing what's in my glass, much less having more than one. I can't say it was really for me.

01-19-2005 07:23:03 | More by amicar
dgallina

Georgia

2.73/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours a deep and dark brown with significant creamy tan head which rapidly dissipates, leaving a good film and lacing. Smells of sweet malts and smoke, lots and lots of smoke. The flavor starts with initial thinnish smokiness, develops some brief, but tasty malt sweetness, and builds into a solid wall of chewy smoked-sausage flavors. A thick and chewy medium-heavy body compliments the flavors.

This was a frustrating beer for me. The all-too-brief sweet malt flavor and chewy texture made me want more, but the incredibly heavy liquid-pork flavors that dominate and finish the beer made it very difficult for me to get through the bottle. A taste I'm not sure I care to acquire.

01-04-2005 00:49:50 | More by dgallina
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Murky mahogany brown with a nice sized tan cream head leaves fine evenly dispersed lacing, not bad. Aroma: Smoked pork you choose variety sausage, bacon, etc. However, this one seems to be much more complex then the Marzen and Weizen from Aecht Schlenkerla. A huge undertow of malt here the bock presence along with alder wood smoking process equals appetizing. Taste: Doesn't destroy or ruin your palate with the smoked meat varieties it opens a whole new realm of balanced flavor between the herbal German hops and bock variety malts with underlying fruit notes masked with the smokiness just tastes incredible. Smoked meats still flow along your palate yet it's not overdone within the Urbock, but definitely a beer you have to be in the mood for. Mouthfeel: Medium body smoked malts give it a heavier tone carbonation is smooth going down. Drinkability: Pure flavorfulness of the malts makes this a slow sipper, however it can still become an addicted oddity of the beer world. The heavily smoked malts start to call out to you and the cravings come for this flavor and then all of a sudden many American micro versions of a rauchbier can never be smokey enough. That's when you make your way back to the beer store to hunt down some Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier straight outta Bamberg.

11-29-2004 08:55:35 | More by WVbeergeek
RoyalT

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance – This one is a nice and shiny amber with a glowing hue. The head came up smartly.

Smell – The big, thick, meaty cooked pork aroma lept from the glass and immediately filled the room. This is monster, chunky cooked pork at its finest.

Taste – The giant pork jerky flavors are mated with some good malts and a lasting, smoky finish.

Mouthfeel – This Rauchbier is light to medium-bodied with a huge smokey aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fluffy and well-carbonated, almost like a weizen.

Drinkability – This is a big, smokey, classic German Rauchbier with tons of port flavors.

11-12-2004 02:19:37 | More by RoyalT
allengarvin

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Half-liter bottle, in a chalice glass.

Appearance: Mahogany color, fairly clear. Low head retention, though. Head quickly fades away.

Aroma: Wonderful, incredibly full smoky aroma.

Flavor/Body: Huge smokiness vies with sweet malty flavor in a great balance of flavors. Hop bitterness is very low, but the smoke takes care to make sure it's not cloying. Finish isn't even very sweet, with lingering smoke. Body is medium-high, with a slightly oily mouthfeel.

A truly BIG, exciting, interesting, very tasty beer.

11-04-2004 02:57:54 | More by allengarvin
barknee

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

The color of this brew is a deep mahogany, creating a .25 inch mocha colored head after pouring, that dissipates from the center of the glass after 5 minutes, although remains around the edges through the experience. The nose has a moderate malty - smokiness that is similar to a tea called Lapsang Souchong, a tea that is prepared over smoldering pine needles. This particular brew's malt is smoked over smoldering beechwood logs to impart its smoky nose and flavor. The smoky flavor is pronounced and forward, much more so than the nose would suggest. The aftertaste lasts upwards of 1 minute+ The structure of this beer is akin to a brown ale, but an underlying acidity brightens the taste and allows the flavors to emerge from its smoky / peaty confines. The mouth feel is lacking a bit of weight and roundness, but its composition does allow for spirited and effortless consumption, surprisingly so for a brew that has such profound and intense flavors. I would robustly recommend this brew based on the premise of its pure, unadulterated and unusual style. A perfect accompaniment to winter stews and well seasoned meat dishes. This is one of the few Rauchbier's (Smoke Beers), which are prepared and brewed in house start to finish. A superb example of the style!

10-10-2004 04:18:19 | More by barknee
goindownsouth

2.08/5  rDev -49.6%

Certainly, as Jason so elloquently stated, this style of brew is an acquired taste. To be sure, I have yet to acquire that taste, for whatever reason. Extremely smokey, with just a minor hint of background sweetness and malt. I could not get the idea out of my head that I was french-kissing a dirty ashtray... I will try this style again, just to make sure I am not missing something.

Prosit!

10-08-2004 12:24:51 | More by goindownsouth
Dogbrick

1.8/5  rDev -56.4%

Acquired via trade. The last Smoked beer I had was the Alaskan Smoked Porter. Damn that was a good beer. This? Not so much. The beer is a nice dark brown color with a medium beige head and thin lacing. The aroma is equal parts ashtray smoke and Purina Beggin’ Strips. Medium-bodied with a very smoky character, as a matter of fact it dominates everything else in the beer. The finish is more of the same. I think my wife’s question of why I smelled like a cigarette (I don’t smoke) after drinking it about sums it up. It’s just too much.

10-05-2004 17:49:34 | More by Dogbrick
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottle. Bacon, salamy, mixed in with grassy, herbal flavours. The bottle i had may have been a bit old, some stale flavours came though, may have been a bit old, still enough flavour to keep me interested. I think i still prefer the weizen and Marzen versions, this is still very nice though.

10-01-2004 17:49:36 | More by rastaman
rajendra82

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful color that can be best described as burnt amber. The body was clear and was topped with a foamy tan head. The head thinned out, but never quite died. The aroma is that of an intensely smoky grill sprinkled with sugar. The sweet and acrid smell hit me at an arm’s length and nearly put me into a higher orbit with its intensity every time the glass touched my lips. The taste was just as good as the smell with a caramelized sweet maltyness and a smoky bitterness. There were some mildly grassy hop presence, but that was only a secondary pleasure. The mouthfeel was full and satisfying, and the smoky aftertaste lingered on forever. Very good and intricate beer that is the best of the Rauchbier offerings in my opinion.

10-01-2004 03:18:44 | More by rajendra82
rdrummer

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

I am not a great lover of Rauchbier so I approached this with trepidation, especially since there were three different Aecht beers. I wasn't sure which one to try. I don't know about the others but this one is an excellent example of why you would make and drink Rauchbier. It was the best I have had since being in Germany.

The Urbock poured a dark brown with reddish tones and a small white head that was short-lived. The aroma is smokey loveliness that is reminiscent of an outdoor BBQ at is best. There is a sweet malt base to the smell that has hints of caramel and dates but the first and last smell is smoke.

The taste is surprisingly lighter on the smokiness than I expected. It is a well-rounded beer with a nice malty sweetness, smoky bacon, and hints of caramel to balance it.

The mouthfeel is lighter than expected and clean with that hint of smokiness lingering. I could easily have gone to a second, but would not make a steady diet of the Rauchbiers. This was a well-balanced Rauch.

08-21-2004 22:46:21 | More by rdrummer