Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

A - A deep brown color with a one finger head that lingers for about a minute before vanishing. No lacing.

S - Burnt hickory. Heavily smoked jerky. Caramel malt. A lot of campfire. This actually smells . . . nostalgic. I kind of like the smell, but it certainly difficult to rate because it is something so bizarre that whatever opinion I will be wrong on account of there being nothing fundamentally right about the concept of this beer. After a few sips the smell is no longer inviting. The nostalgia is replaced by painful memories . . . memories of the last time I sipped the beer.

T - Burnt hickory. A bit of a caramel malt in the foretaste. Mostly campfire in the aftertaste. As in gnawing on blacken logs. There is also some faint hop bitterness. It is strange to say the least. After a few sips it is horrendously univiting. This isn't even an acquired taste, drinking this is like eating campfire ash. It just goes against the natural order.

M - Smooth, thick, somewhat refreshing, although the flavor makes me believe otherwise.

D - Not good. It is worth trying, especially if you are a masochist. I tried to have this with some food (teriyaki pork loin, tortillas with black bean and corn salsa and jalapeno foccaccia) and nothing worked well (the salsa wasn't too terrible, but it was better without the beer). I imagine that the only successful pairings with this would be meat so heavily smoked that the beer's smokiness is overshadowed, but at that point, why not just have different beer? I was scared of this one, I really wanted to enjoy it, but it proved too repulsive. I have to give this to the drain. This is one style that I am glad not to see many breweries imitating in the states.

Note: Everything here, save the drinkability, was reviewed "to style." It's taste was not a "pleasant" smokiness, unlike the aroma.

mrasskicktastic, Oct 18, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours a deep and dark brown with significant creamy tan head which rapidly dissipates, leaving a good film and lacing. Smells of sweet malts and smoke, lots and lots of smoke. The flavor starts with initial thinnish smokiness, develops some brief, but tasty malt sweetness, and builds into a solid wall of chewy smoked-sausage flavors. A thick and chewy medium-heavy body compliments the flavors.

This was a frustrating beer for me. The all-too-brief sweet malt flavor and chewy texture made me want more, but the incredibly heavy liquid-pork flavors that dominate and finish the beer made it very difficult for me to get through the bottle. A taste I'm not sure I care to acquire.

dgallina, Jan 04, 2005

Miriam78, Jun 16, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

Definitely an acquired taste. Very intense smoked aromas, followed by an even more intense smoke taste; pungent. Dominating smoky flavor doesn't allow for additional tastes to be realized. Drinkers of this beer pursue as a love/hate relationship, there are no medians. The drinkability gets a 1.5 I could be more objective but I'm giving that rating solely on preference.

Mick, Sep 23, 2002

twenty5, May 10, 2013

harpus, Mar 20, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -32.7%

Appearance: This beer has a nice, rich brown color. The head on it is pretty low, with small watery bubbles. There is little to no carbonation.

Smell: This beer has a strange combination of smoked and sweet - the urbock's sweetness is really coming through more than I thought from a smoked beer. Still the nose of smoked cheese is present.

Taste: This is a strange beer on the palette. It seems to really focus a ton of its flavor on alcohol and smoke - even though the ABV is not that high. It is almost a bit curious how this beer can showcase this much alcohol. Still, the flavor seems a little one dimensional - needs more to round it off.

Mouthfeel: This is a very thick beer - like combining a barley wine with flour. Its definately for sipping. One taste does fine to fill up the mouth.

Drinkability: I'm going to say that this is not one I'll often return to. It doesn't work as a session beer, and I don't think that is its aim.

GuinnessSmurf, Feb 20, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours dark, mahogany wood brown with a nice uniform light-tan head. Instant smoky overdose in the nostrils, like walking into a smokehouse. Very malty with taste is pure essence of wood grilled beef jerky. Hard to get over the thick smoke, but when paired with some sharp cheddar I changed my tone a bit. When I say "paired with sharp cheddar" I actually meant chased the fucker with four cheese Cheez-Its, but the flavor combination speaks for itself, just works.

AleWeizengarten, Mar 30, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This poured a dark and clear tan with fluffy white head. It had an interesting smell like smoky malt and oak. It tasted even more interesting like hickory smoked ham or bacon, with salty roasted malt flavors. It was slightly thick with some carbonation and a smooth yet strong smoky aftertaste. Overall this was extremely unique, like drinking a black bean and ham soup with a porter base. Weird.

Pencible, Mar 27, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours with minimal colorless head and little carbonation into my glass. A very prety dark brown with a tiny bit of red in there somewhere. Whoa- the aroma scares me just a little bit. Smells like that artifical smoke they sometimes add to cheap beef jerkey. Then you taste it and I think I've just snapped into a slim jim; smokiness is the word of the day here; lots and lots of it. I think Jason called the taste like Gouda, someone else said bacon; I really think jerkey and soy sauce. The flavor sticks around for awhile, and I'm not sure I'm happy about it. I really cant detect much in the way of sweetness nor hops. Feels a little thin in the mouth.

So, overall, this was a challenge to taste and a weird one. Not for the faint of heart. This cannot be drunk without food,especially smoky or BBQ foods. It will NOT be for everyone. It does have a flavor that sticks with you and makes you keep taking a few more sips (I guess it's like learning to like blue cheese). But really, I can't imagine finishing what's in my glass, much less having more than one. I can't say it was really for me.

amicar, Jan 19, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -29.1%

I must say the mere mention of smoke in the description of this one was what drew me in. Very intriguing at first until I took a whiff of it. Extremely strong smell of liquid smoke, which for some may make it unbearable. Very dark brown/almost black in color with very little foam or lacing albeit the glass given to me was much too small for the 0.5 liter bottle. As for taste and mouthfeel, this was my first smokebeer, so I was taken aback by the flavors a bit. If you can get past the intense burnt wood smell, you will notice that the beer itself is rather smooth, malty, and quite crisp. Very light on the tongue yet chewy at the same time if you can believe that. As for drinkability, this is definitely not a session beer, and it should definitely be paired with something grilled on the backyard BBQ. The smokiness would go well with steaks and ribs; its crispness and levity would go well with chicken and pork. Overall though, at $8 a bottle, once and done is enough for me.

redwolf1, Aug 07, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -29.1%

A-Pours quite dark. Has the look of cola. Big foamy,yet level head slowly fades. Can hear the crackle of the bubbles popping away. Bits of lacing.

S-At first whiff my first thought was 'Oh god it smells like bacon". Behind the smokey meat surprise is some dark maltiness. Salty and mildly sweet. Smoke prevails here.

T-The smokiness is not as overpowering as expected. I am happy that the smoke is a bit mellower. Not as much bacon as in the nose. A more mild flavor. A bunch of dark sweetness. An almost barbeque flavor too. Unique and a bit enjoyable as well.

M-Medium bodied. Smooth with mellow carbonation.

O/D-Definitely a individual style. Worth a try. I just could never see myself craving a rauchbier. Not my style I guess. Couldn't finish.

VelvetExtract, Aug 19, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -28.6%

Overwhelmig aroma of wood fireplace at first, then a smoked sausage aroma. No visible head, and no lacing. Taste is very smoky. Cant really discern any other flavor. Lingers on the palatte. Might work with the proper food pairing. Certainly not a drinkable beer in my opinion. Review numbers wil bear in mind that skoked beer probably is not my favorite.

Nascartailgatefa, Feb 28, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured into a tulip (the glass of choice this evening). Pours a dark mohogany, deep brown with little light seeping through. smelled like I was stuck in a smoked salmon shack, dark charred wood flavour, smokey. Each drink I cringe a bit but its also somewhat enjoyable. This is not for the faint of heart and should be paired with some hearty rich food. Smoked malts dominate and if there are hops I have yet to find them. Bakers chocolate or similair lace the background. Finishes biting and takes some time to recover.

Its one of those beers to me thats well crafted and well put together but it just doesn't completely work. It's like trying to make smoked cherries. Good beer for the style just not sure this style is good.

DogFood11, Sep 13, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -27.8%

I was quite mixed on this beer. Considering it's my first time having a rauchbier, I was expecting a smoke beer. But this was pure smoke. I think Todd said it right, you either like this type or you don't. Sorry, but I for one don't. Poured out a dark brown color with very little carbonation. Smell. Yikes, all smoke, very little malt. Taste. Like eating a big fat sausage. Call me crazy, but the smoke flavor is a little too big. This beer isn't for my liking.

necoadam, Apr 02, 2004

AScrambledEgg, Apr 07, 2014

hyoung41, Dec 23, 2011

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012

prisoner1572, Apr 15, 2013

LeapintoBeer, Sep 26, 2012

davidwhatshisnam, May 13, 2014

this was my first smokebeer. it was not as dark as i imagined. i used a goblet & there was no head but i dont know if this is because i poured it slow or not. it took me longer than usual to finish this & determined that smokebeer isnt for me although i didnt hate it. mouth feel was lighter than expected not thick like a stout. this beer would probably go well with something from the charcoal grill. this is also my first review.

kenn, Sep 18, 2008