Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  6.60% ABV

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 08-23-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Made good use of a dimpled mug for this one - one of the times it seemed most appropriate! A deep brown or deep amber. A kinda 'spent soapy' head - like when a bubblebath or dishsoap recedes to a thinner layer.

S + T + M: Smoke, smoke, and more smoke. That 'ham and cheese' scent that is often associated with the style. Reminds me of the smoked gouda that I love so much. Flavour is identical. A rich, intense smokiness... though it reminds me more of smoked cheese than meaty. There's a bit of a creaminess to it that adds to the effect.

D: A nicely done beer, and an intriguing and tasty style. I could enjoy another bottle once I was done this one. Quite good.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 1/2 liter bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is great, very dark brown, almost as dark as a schwarzbier, but with some red highlights when held up to the light. It had a nice two finger head that dissipated fairly quickly, but left a nice cap and some lacing.

Smell is smoke, malt and more smoke. Its not as smokey as I remember it being though. Like a good BBQ or a small campfire. very pleasant.

Of course, the first thing noticed is the smoke, but then it is followed by some nice malty sweetness and then more smoke and then the hops peek through and followed by more smoke.

This is a very drinkable beer! I am very surprised. I had this with a nice meal and I would highly recommend this beer to anyone. The smoke may be too much on its own, but with food it is just the right amount. The bottle disappeared much too quickly and I was looking for another, that I did not buy since I didn't think I would like it. DAMN! live and learn.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

DEFINATELY A LOVE/HATE STYLE...
I thought I had tasted smoke flavoured stouts, porters, dark ales, but nothing prepared me for the true smoked aromas & flavours this had. Unbelievable. At one point I thought I was eating it, cos anything with such smokiness in flavour & smell I have gladly eaten in the past (not drank)
A: 1 finger head, with no head retention, alhough a whispy soft creamy film remained on the surface - looked pretty. Very dark, just see through with a dark red hue.
S: My goodness - for those that love smoked (me) it delighted, but I'd imagine this would make others run to the hills. Huge smokey bacon, salmon, anything that has been smoked. Very intense smokiness. After just handling the glass I thought I was around the campfire with the smoke aromas staining my clothes & skin...I felt it was in my skin.
One thing I loved about this was it was like a treasure hunt - once the olefactory membrane gets used to the intense smokiness,other smells & tastes became evident - loved it. Cocoa, chocolate.
T: Smoked...smoked...smoked...dark roasted malts...coffee...smoked...very sweet...a touch of cocoa bitterness.
VERY FULL & COMPLEX.
M: Just loved the complexity, a medium thickness mouthfeel...suited this. Although it left me feeling i was a smoker (which I am not)
D: Excellent, but only 1 or 2 thanks...after 1 I thought I had just tucked into half a pig. Left me feeling a little full. But VERY tasty & I felt if I had more in 1 sitting it might get a little sickly.
THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL THOUGH >>> DEFINATELY HAVE AGAIN!

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

dark ruby brown that is just light enough to see through. its a got a two finger head that falls to a thick film that laces well.
the aroma has got that smell of sausage or smoked bacon that is the hallmark of a good rauchbier. nuts and caramel can be found in there too, but the smoke dominates.
the taste has got plenty of smoke, but is balanced with some soft nutty caramel and powdered cocoa. it's got a toasted (maybe a little burnt) sourdough type flavor. you pick up some notes of dark fruitiness nearly buried underneath the smoke, mainly of the fig, raisin type variety.
the body is fuller medium, with soft carbonation, giving it the nice chewy mouthfeel this kind of beer deserves.
good drinkability the smoke doesn't hinder things in the way you might think, and as you drink it recedes a little letting other flavors shine. the best rauchbier i've had to date.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla