1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-13-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 594 | Reviews: 332 | Show All Ratings:
Bighuge

4.9/5  rDev +21%

Hazy orange copper body. Thin bubbly beige head. Lace is sparse. Beautiful smokey nose. Hate to say it again, but like a distant campfire. Or actually, not so distant. Oaky and greasy. I love it. This beer is fantastic. Nobody does Rauchbier like Schlenkerla. And I mean nobody. I can't believe how easy this goes down for an 8% beer. The richness of a dopplebock isn't quite where I was expecting it, but the flavor is delicious. Malts are pretty rich and the smokiness is complex and soothing. Very slightly phenolic, which adds a dimension, and also slightly oily and bitter. Awesome beer.

12-02-2010 05:02:22 | More by Bighuge
DerBayer

Germany

4.9/5  rDev +21%

A truly outstanding beer. Who could say no to an Eiche smoked Doppelbock.

I certainly could not so I had several pints at the Rake and I bought ALL 12 bottles from the store which are surprisingly good value at 3.50 a go.

The beer is nothing like the standard Schlenkerla rang and is not as punchy in its smokeyness but works on a lot more different levels. FANTASTIC.

01-09-2011 14:01:28 | More by DerBayer
foobula

4.9/5  rDev +21%

Kept this in the back of the fridge for a several months. Was looking for something barrel-aged when I remembered this one and dug it out. Did not disappoint.

A: Dark amber, a good amount of small particulates suspended. Small head formed and dissipated quickly.

N: Wood, smoke, beef jerky, WOW is it smokey!

T: Primarily smokey, smokey, smokey! But a malty sweetness is there as well. It's like 60/40 between smokey and sweet, so with each taste you might get more of the smoke or more of the malt. I find it nearly perfectly balanced in that regard.

M: Medium, somewhat creamy

O: I've gotta give this a 5. Definitely my favorite smoked beer so far.

04-16-2012 02:17:34 | More by foobula
smakawhat

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Getting my fancy on, and really going to play with this one pouring it into a Collins cocktail glass as a Stange substitute. Taken out of my cellar at a nice cool but not too cold temperature like all my beers.

Pours a gorgeous liquid gold with a very solid large off white head. Major head retention off of this it will not go away at all. It leaves the most perfect looking cap of foam, it looks completely frozen. Good appearance on the body also, amber colored body that is clear, with some minimal but nice slow rising carbonation from the bottom. The bubbles just slowly crawl up as if taking their time it is unreal. This looks like hot sex in a glass.

Bouquet, you know it you love it. It's sausage and bacon. Very nice smoked wood which grabs you nicely but isn't overpowering. Total roast pork. This is a little more subtle than the Marzen. There is even some clean grass and small hop behind it but very hard to find. This smells phenomenal it is just "right".

Taste is oh my god so much going on. A small brown sugar at first. Then smoke comes in that is so whispy and enjoyable, faint somewhat hop and a tannin almost barrel note mouth play. This is sweet a little but not malty sweet like the Urbock, this is JUST RIGHT for sweetness. Holy moly this is so balanced in taste of sweets, savory, some sense of caramel malt, maybe even some faint hop bitter on the finish. Sweet malts take over though as you drink more of it. My palate is exploding with joy. Eight percent abv is TOTALY COMPLETELY MASKED!

This is so far the most highest rated beer I've ever rated, thank god I seeked it out it is truly world class, and phenomenal. If you find the regular Rauchbiers too smokey (Marzen) or too sweet (Urbock) drink this thing it's the perfect marriage. The head mashes my face and surrounds my nose cause it will not leave me alone, whisking me to another world as the perfect sweet body and taste envelopes me out of this glass. I WANT MORE!!! I am very tempted to rate this as all fives, I am SHOCKED I never thought this beer would be this good or ANY beer for that matter.

02-23-2011 03:14:15 | More by smakawhat
jyuhas

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

a - between copper and gold, slightly hazy, very thin off white head

s - smooth smokiness, campfire, slight toffee

t - same as smell

m - body slightly above medium and carbonation slightly below medium

o - smokiness and malt balance make me want to drink more and more

Holy ****! Absolutely amazing. Smoke intensity heavy in both aroma and flavor, malt characteristics just enough to set it off. I love rauchbier, so I'm a bit biased. But this one is my new favorite.

02-27-2011 19:25:09 | More by jyuhas
bjohn84

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

A - slight amber with quite a bit of clarity. Very little head present

S - Incredibly strong notes of camp fire.. oak, ham

T - smoked pork, maybe even a bit of saltiness, blended extremely well.

M - Very smooth drinking, low on the carbonation side of things

O - There is a definite strong smoke presence here, however it seems to flow well with everything without having any harsh edges. I admit that I'm not normally one for a smoked beer, but this was an extremely well crafted product

07-21-2012 03:49:54 | More by bjohn84
ppoitras

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

16.9oz bottle purchased as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" beige head over the slightly cloudy amber brew. Head is promptly down to a skim, with leggy coating lace. Aroma is hammy, with a sweet undercurrent.

Taste is smoke through and through, just as I expect and want from one of their brews. Sweet here and there. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth over the tongue, and drinkability is wow. I'd get this one again. Quickly.

10-24-2013 21:44:23 | More by ppoitras
gatorbev

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Darker copper color, light head

S- Overpowers you with the smell of smoked materials, you can almost taste smoked ham from the fragrances of this beer.

T- Tastes of smoked ham, smokey materials, smoked oak, overpowers this beer but in a good way. No alcohol can be tasted on this beer at all, which is hard to believe at 8%.

M- Light bodied but perfect for what this beer is.

O- Overall this beer is a world class example of a smoked beer to me.

09-06-2013 05:38:30 | More by gatorbev
bamojr

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours cleat dark amber with a two finger fluffy tanish white head.
Hickory smoke and bacon smells in the nose and some smoked cheeses. Very woody smell. This smells like a delicious beer to cook ham with.
Thick rich malts and tons of smokey bacon flavors. I would seriously say that this is just a bacon flavored beer. It has the smokey essence of a camp fire and is nice and sweet. I must say that I was not expecting this beer to be the way it is at all, I have never had a doppelbock quite like it.

06-23-2011 04:21:46 | More by bamojr
acevenom

Louisiana

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into a glass mug. Pours slightly hazy reddish copper with a soapy white head that dissipates quickly. There appears to be a moderate amount tiny bubbles in the beer. The smoked malt aroma immediately hits the nose. I can detect some of the breadiness and sweetness from the malt. The smokiness in the flavor is quite intense. The oak smoke really comes through here. It blends well with the breadiness and sweetness from the malt. It's rich, but not overwhelmingly so because the smoke helps balance everything well. It all helps mask the 8% alcohol. The body is medium to full with moderate carbonation. The finish does stick to the mouth briefly. This drinks pretty well for such a big beer. This is an excellent beer.

10-11-2012 00:12:10 | More by acevenom
DoubleJ

4.78/5  rDev +18%

How should I introduce this doppelbockrauchbier (see what I did there)? Well, it's a beer that I really want to try, and it's from the smoked beer experts of Bamberg. Allowed to warm up 30 minutes from the fridge, on to the beer:

Orange amber in color with a clean body. The head retention is adequate and it leaves a little bit of lacing on the stange glass. One smell puts me in heaven; smoked meats, ham hocks, jerky, summer sausage.

This is a beer that tackles your tastebuds in two phases, and it's an excellent one-two punch, like Roy Halladay/Cliff Lee one-two. The first phase is sweet yet balanced like a doppelbock. With the toffee and caramel galore, I thought I was drinking a brown ale or porter from England. The second phase is which the trademark Aecht Schlenkerla flavors start to take hold. After the sweet rush, in comes an explosion of jerkied meats. The latter seems more real than real, and it whispers long into the aftertaste. Even without the smoked aspect, this would still be an excellent tasting beer. To make things more devilish is the insane drinkability of a beer with 8% ABV, it drinks almost like a standard 5% ABV lager from its region, although some of that may be attributed to the low carbonation and medium body (it doesn't seem much "meatier" than its lighter stablemates, but sure does taste better).

Being a fan of raucbiers, I knew that I would love Eiche. But what I didn't expect was how this beer would touch and tease my palate. Wow!! This might be a great beer to drink during Lent, or...fuck it, how 'bout everyday? The 500 ml bottle went down much quicker than expected, and being a seasonal beer, I'm sure to grab at least a few more bottles before the supply runs dry.

03-10-2011 07:55:15 | More by DoubleJ
udouche

4.78/5  rDev +18%

Poured from 500ml bottle into 500ml Klosterbrauerei Andechs stein

A - Poured a deep carmel amber brown. There was very little of the creamy white head. Thin lacing.

S - Sizzling bacon, rock salt, sweet malts.

T - Comes in with powerful bacon, settles with sweet malty sugars. Washes with sweet smoke and a hint of alcohol.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation. Leave a sticky sweetness behind.

O - Offers a complexity not usually found in dopplebocks, but doesn't over power the palate. Schlenkerla works magic in my book, and this may be the best of all.

12-31-2012 03:05:28 | More by udouche
dbalsock

Vermont

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

WOW This is a great beer!!!

App: Darkish brown like most doppelbocks that I've seen imported to the usa. I don't know what the previous reviewer had, but this is definitely not light colored. The head sticks around and is an off white color, very light and fluffy.

Smell: Roasted meat... it reminded me of the roast boar I had a few days ago, except with better caramelization and a great smokiness with a subtle hint of chocolate.

Taste: The flavor integrates all of the aspects of the aroma while also adding a biscuity undertone. The smokey caramel flavors fill the mouth, making all other flavors secondary and supportive. It reminds me of eating a great piece of pork, slow cooked over an open fire.

Mouthfeel: The smokiness takes over, much the same way that it does in an alaskan smoked porter. It held all of my attention, with a nice clean bitterness at the end that doesn't overpower or take away from any of the nuances of the brew. It's smooth on the palate with no noticeable alcohol... I was flabergasted to see that this is an 8% brew.

Drinkability: Easily the most drinkable rauchbier I've ever had, and most drinkable doppelbock I've ever had. I could sit in front of a fire and drink myself straight to the abyss with this, never realizing it until the wee hours of the morning when I try to stand.

12-31-2009 18:37:05 | More by dbalsock
crnipeter

Slovenia

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

500 ml with best before date June 2011 into Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche glass. Pours amber to deep coppery body with reddish hue and good clarity, topped by medium beige dense head with good retention, that clings to the walls.
Aroma is a pleasant balance between malty sweetness and non-harsh, smooth wood &, bacon-like smokiness obtained by oak-wood kilned malt.The smoky curtain is delicate enough to transmit the Doppelbock characteristics of the base beer underneath: rich malty sweetness with significant melanoidins and touch of plum and grape-like fruitiness.
The flavor is campfire and bacon-like smokiness which interplays with malty sweetness. The malts exhibit melanoidin qualities accompanied by notes of dark chocolate. Towards the finish emerges peppery spiciness (probably originating from the Hallertau hops used) with moderate hoppy bitterness. No inappropriate harsh, burnt or charred flavors. The finish is semisweet although the smoke reduces the Doppelbock sweetness to some degree by adding some dryness. Medium to full boded with soft carbonation and unbelievable drinkability for a beer of this type, partially thanks to smooth and complex yet not overpowering smoky character.

In short: A fantastic smoked Doppelbock with perfect balance between the smoke and base beer, reflecting the character of both.

01-08-2011 22:53:27 | More by crnipeter
tjsdomer2

4.73/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Caramel syrup with fiery carbonation. Incredible lacing. Really one of the best I have ever seen.

Smell: Salt and pepper covering notes of peat and scotch. I would like a bit more punch.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Tastes like a cigar...there's that much smoke. Hints of bacon/pork fat...ok...more than hints...more like obvious overtones. The smoke really makes this worth it. Crisp/active feeling, but a tad flat in the finish, most likely due to the overwhelming heavy body.

Overall: I could possibly justify calling this my favorite beer ever.

05-10-2013 04:01:24 | More by tjsdomer2
JonB1958

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge, poured into a Schenkerla tulip.

A gorgeous clear copper pour with a nice thick head.

Like all the Rauch beers, this one was a smoky, campfire odor to it, yet the oak smoke is different than the typical beechwood smoke; still pronounced and even frightening to some, but more subtle and a little less harsh

The mouthfeel is surprisingly clean and crisp, and the flavor is sublime. It's smokey, of course, but very balanced, and makes the beer quite drinkable. If you've never had Rauch beer before, just make sure you take a second sip!

I've become a big fan of Schlenkerla lately, and this is the best I've had. A real winner.

04-18-2010 15:03:24 | More by JonB1958
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

50cl bottle poured into Paulaner Seidel

BBE August 2011

A- Copper body with excellent clarity. 2 finger off white creamy head has good staying power considering abv and shows some legs.

S- Rauchkase dominates! Some biscuity malt and hint of toffee sweetness

T- Melanoidins and sweet toffeeish hint sit underneath a layer of smoke. It has a certain creaminess to it though which makes me think of Rauchkase. Very smooth, no suggestion of abv. Biscuity sweetness lingers on.

M- Moderate carbonation, full body, lager clean.

D- This is superb. The smoke doesnt dominate. Its everpresent but doesnt get in the way of the malt richness of the doppelbock character. Lager clean finish makes it easily drinkable with no suggestion of its alcohol strength. A rich doppelbock with that classic Schlenkerla rauch flavour. Superb!

09-09-2011 21:41:31 | More by seanyfo
tigg924

Had on tap at Julian's Providence

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, clear, black in color

Smell: smells like smoked oak wood

Taste: alcohol, rum, smoked oak, and a bit of dark fruit

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, semi-sweet, boozy, medium/low carbonation

Drinkability: This is right up there with my favorite beers of all time. Just an amazing brew. The smoke is there but not overpowering. It sneaks in very subtly. The oak is also there but not too strong. Perfectly balanced. I would love to see this be a regular offering.

02-05-2010 13:53:12 | More by tigg924
bashiba

Iowa

4.7/5  rDev +16%

A Great find on Draft at the Map Room. Poured a nice clean dark amber color with a thick and creamy white head.

The smell had a nice bacony smoke quality along with a touch of malt and a hint of Oak.

The flavor was a huge blast of great deep doppelbock malts mixing nicely with layers of smoke and wood. Very complex the flavor just keeps coming at you in great ways.

The mouthfeel was fairly thick with a nice body to it.

Very drinkable, a truly great smoked beer, will be looking for more of this.

01-16-2011 20:14:34 | More by bashiba
slayer3604

4.7/5  rDev +16%

I think I'm in love....wish I could get this into the store! GURRRR!

Pours a perfectly clear amber with a thin white head, that leaves some nice tight lacing, and a hailstorm of bubbles that never cease to end!

Smells like smoked bacon, and malt. When I say those two things, I mean it in the best way possible...my German ancestors are screaming for me to drink it at this point! HAHAH

WOW!!! Perfect malt profile for a dopplebock without the roast, which is replaced by a smooth, lingering smokiness, and then a semi sweet finish. 8%!??! WHERE?!?!?!

Mouthfeel is very nice and comforting...not too much not too little, very well balance.d

I'd say this is my favorite dopplebock as of right now....there, I said it...

04-23-2011 05:55:50 | More by slayer3604
jgurley

4.7/5  rDev +16%

First, I am a great fan of the Sclenkerla beers. I drink them as regularly as I am able to get them and I'm a HUGE fan of the Urbock and Marzen. As one who has had these beers many times, I can taste "beyond the smoke" and this beer is exceptional as expected. Pretty medium amber color with a nice head. Smoke dominates the aroma. Taste is what one would expect from Sclenkerla, with a ton more hop bitterness as well as booziness from the higher alcohol. Light and extremely drinkable mouthfeel. Very refreshing and not at all heavy on the belly. OUTSTANDING!! Bravo!
P.S. Some will suggest this with BBQ or smoked meat. I think that smokey meats may overdo the whole smoke flavor. I had it with a chicken caesar salad. Salty with lots of bleu cheese. Very nice contrast of smokey and salty.

04-16-2012 01:35:06 | More by jgurley
Zimbo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.7/5  rDev +16%

From the moment the cap is sprung it drifts a light smoky meatiness which is deep and delicious but no where near as pungent as I expected.
Even half inch head tops a beautiful clear cyrstal copper colour which deflates despite leaving some complex Rorschach test type lacing.
To taste, whoa. Tastes as it smells despite some risidual fizziness which cuts through the mediumish body and is firm and reasonably dry. There is also a degree of softness knitted in there too. The restrained lucious roasted meaty quality is beautifully integrated producing a truly earth shattering finesse and balance. Just mouthwatering. Can barely believe it is 8%ABV.

Truly truly delicious. Just want to drink this outside before a roaring fire with a plate of quality Aufscnitt.

04-29-2012 11:29:55 | More by Zimbo
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

500ml bottle into a tulip, purchased at Premier Gourmet.

Pours a rusty orange brown, with a nice dense cap of just off-white head. Creamy and thick retention, solid lacing. Some floaties in the body, there was a bunch of yeast at the bottom of the bottle that I only poured a portion of into the glass. Nose is typical Schlenkerla smoke, campfire and charcoal with some caramel and leathery notes. Taste is sublime, loads of caramel, dark fruits and sweet malts. Smoke is direct, and of greater intensity than the nose but doesn't stay on the palate for long. Smoke reappears in the finish, and there only a slight unpleasant bitterness/dryness that sets this back from perfection. Mouthfeel is medium heavy, carbonation is a magnificent medium low. Wow. Did not expect to be this blow away opening this on a Tuesday evening. Exceptional, and I can only imagine this being just a tad closer to perfection on cask in Bamberg. Brilliant and God do I love smoked beers...

10-26-2011 01:12:48 | More by liamt07
cooch69

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

This Schlenkerla poured a very clear Amber. It had a small one finger head with barely anything left over after it dissipated.

Nose was full of Juicy smoked Kielbasi. It was a very luxurious smoke that I could sit with infront of the fire for hours on end.

The flavors came along pretty much the same way with a medium amount of hoppiness in the mid sip. This only lasted into the finish and any biterness was gone pretty quickly.

I love everything that this brewery makes and this beer only gives us beer nuts an opportunity to try something a bit higher in alcohol(even though I did'nt think that it tasted much like it had 8% in it. I would say it felt more like 6%).

A must try for smoke Aficianado's.

12-12-2010 05:30:42 | More by cooch69
Caml

South Carolina

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Glassware: .25l Liefmans stemmed Pils

A: Deep, clear amber, medium carbonation. No lacing, the bubbles just slide down the considerable legs of this 8% beauty.

S: Where this beer really begins to shine, the oak comes through strong, along with a healthy dose of sweet, bready malt; no detectable hops.

T: the most barbeque-y Rauchbier I've had yet, and by far the most appetizing. The smoke is much more palatable and complex, with a very mild touch of vanilla in between the campfire, smoked meat (almost as reminiscent of chicken as the stereotypical pork), and very sweet malt.

MF: Getting towards the bottom of the glass and some of the carbonation is gone, but quite thick as it's sweetness and gravity would suggest.

D: Much higher than other Rauchbiers, this is just as drinkable as any other doppelbock I've had, helles or otherwise.

02-02-2011 01:54:14 | More by Caml