Join our email list →

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.
3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

Remarkably smooth easy-drinking smoked. The smoke is there but its understated under a delicious malt mix. Its on my lips well after I have completed it. It was great with BBQ. Greyish golden coloured body, small head. Mild smoke aromas. A tad above average mouthfeel.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from 500 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip with a moderately aggressive hand. No date on the bottle. Classic Schlenkerla font on the label.

A: Amber/copper colored body with good clarity and 1 finger of off-white head. Thin coating at 2 minutes. Light lacing.

S: That is a nice quality, complex smoke! Campfire. Peat. Bacon. Under the smoke there is a nice round malt with a bit of light fruitiness.

T: Full sweet malt up front with a transition to a mild German hop bitterness. Semi-dry finish. The woody smoke is prominent throughout and nicely present on the finish. Roasted malt. Light fruit. Smoked meat. Minimal alcohol presence.

M: Moderate to light carbonation with a moderate to light body. Smooth, but was hoping for a bit more substantial feel given it's classification.

O: Nice Rauchbier for sure. Smoke quality is superb, but could have used a bit bigger of a beer to back it up. Drinks more like a marzen than a doppelbock. Is it better than the usual Schlenkerla Marzen? Not sure, but probably. I believe I appreciated the complexity of the smoke a bit more with this one.

Prost!

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A: This pours much lighter than I would have expected for a smoked doppelbock. It's very honey-golden, with a thin head that doesn't hold on all too long. The beer itself is rather nice (and it's got quite a clarity to it), but more average as far as looks go, I feel.

S: Smoky wood notes, and that's a rather specific scent that I don't find in a lot of other rauchs. Often, there's the "ham and cheese" comparison that I don't pick up on a lot here, though it's pleasant. It doesn't completely overpower the caramel notes, which is nice, as well.

T: More smokiness in the flavour, a little bit 'cheesy.' Some sweetness / dark fruits come out... particularly raisin notes, along with some caramel. A nicely balanced flavour.

M + D: Somewhat chewy, and quite appropriate given the flavour profile. They work together very well. Notes of alcohol are more apparent as the glass goes, but the smoke does tend to hide those characteristics in many of these beers. While I think I might find myself leaning more towards New Holland's Charkoota Rye, this is a nicely done brew that I would certainly return to in the future.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from 500mL bottle into a mug.

Appearance: hazy orange hue with not a lot of effervescence. Head is one finger of frothy ivory foam. Not bad, but not outstanding.

Smell: smoky, woody aroma; lapsang souchong on top with a light wood character underneath. Sweet malt ties these together. Pretty nice, if you like smoke.

Taste: rich smokiness in the flavor on top of a sweet, slightly caramelly malt. Bitterness is earthy and rich, but balanced. Quite a nice rauchbier.

Mouthfeel: medium-rich body with a smooth texture and a pretty solid creaminess. I like it.

Drinkability: quite drinkable. I like smoky flavors, so keep this one coming.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a cloudy amber-orange with a weak 1/2-finger offwhite head. Retention and lacing are minimal.

The nose is malty sweet and smoky with a character that brings to mind Thanksgiving or Easter dinner- aromas of smoked ham, baked apples, white pepper and toasted bread crust. Is it my imagination or can I smell the sweet potatoes too?

The palate is rich, smoky sweet and dives right back into the ham vibe, though adding a nice spicy dusting of candied orange to the whole presentation. Hops are minimal with a mild bitterness, while the finish is long, dry and very mouthwatering.

Overall, this was a rather delicious and well balanced Rauch. Personally ham is one of my least favorite meats of the pork persuasion, so I probably won't be buying this again. I can't knock it for that though, and the dryer finish gives this one a few extra points.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

The label says "doppelbock," so I'm judging this as both a doppelbock and a rauchbier.

Pours with a good, thick head into a pint glass. Has a golden color that seems light for a doppelbock.

Smells like smoked meat. Intensely so. Makes me want to fire up the grill.

Mmm, this is the first all-out Rauchbier I've really enjoyed. Sweet malts shine through a haze of wood smoke. Apparently, this brewery's claim is that they smoke malts with beech wood and oak. I think I taste oak, but I'm just taking their word on it.

Some rauchbiers I've tried tasted too one-dimensional to me. I like this because I can taste a good beer under all the smoke. At the same time, the smoke tempers the sweetness.

Feels full-bodied, a little heavy, as I'd expect from a doppelbock.

Drinkable? No way. The heaviness and the smokiness are intense and a little overbearing after awhile. If this wasn't my last beer of the night, I'd go for the lightest beer I could find after this just to clean off my palate.

Edit: Not "drinkable" which I always took to mean "sessionable," but the best smoked beer I've ever had. Bumped the "overal" from 2.5 to 4.

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche

Pours a cloudy orange color with some yeast sediment. Head is large and frothy when poured. Complex aroma of oak smoke from the malts used, and beech smoke aroma from the kettles and vessels used in brewing. In the taste, bacony, campfire, cured meats and char. Some buttery diacetyl is noted as a byproduct of the yeast. Hints of a small malt sweetness and bitterness, but both are cut by acrid smoke flavors. Not as sweet as your typical doppelbock. Alcohol is felt, not tasted. In the finish, smoke, chalky yeast and slick on the palatte. Another fine smoke beer from Aecht Schlenkerla.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

500ml bottle.

Golden pour with a nice white head. Looks like a Belgian Tripel

Crazy smells from this golden beer. Smoked meats, uncooked bacon, next-morning clothes after a night by the fire.
Just a twinge of sweet malt shows up, and I notice an orange/yellow fruit twang at times, but it's mostly about the smoke

There's just no way the tastes can match the smells, and they don't. More of the malty sweetness shows up here with the smokey vibe, and I can find some of those lighter fruits if looking hard. Ultimately not that complex, but I don't think it's supposed to be.

Mouthfeel on the thinner side. No off textures or tastes.

This is unique, and something I think I would crave now and then. But you have to be in the right mood.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

A formerly somewhat rare smoked doppelbock using oak smoked malts. I've had their other rauchbiers many times (yup, even from the source) but this one is new to me.
Pours a light amber color. Since it was a doppel I actually expected it to be darker than the others, but it's roughly the same. Just the right amount of foam formed at the top as I poured it into my 1/2L "halbe" mug.
The nose is definitely focused on big/sweet/malty with a whiff of smoke. However, the itself smoke seems to be less sweet than their usual beechwood smoked beers.
The flavor follows that path, too. The base flavor is sweet and malty, but the smoke manages to stay drier and therefore the flavor steers away from that "bbq sauce" note their normal bockbier can sometimes have. It's big and bold, but probably easier drinking than some others.
While their Marzen is my favorite from Heller-Trum, this one isn't bad either. The smoke is more nuanced and less sweet, and for an 8%ABV beer, it's pretty easy drinking.

3.94/5  rDev -3.4%

A: copper, very little tanned foam, lots of i don't know what floating inside, making it murky

S: smoked malt, leather, moist tobacco

T: malty and alcoholic sweetness to begin, fruitiness (prunes) in the middle, some hoppiness to balance out in the end. it seems that bitterness seems to linger.

M: sweet and little cloying. This is a nice warming brew.

O: very well crafted. It's a little strong, as bocks are intended to be. but the high alcohol makes it a little bit overwhelming in many ways (sweetness, alcoholic warmth, etc). works great in winter times for sure

3.94/5  rDev -3.4%

Big thanks to Bennettrox for smoking me out!

Pours a nice amber color, with loads of clarity. Head was off-white, and about a finger which laced well.

Aroma was big and smoky! Like a campfire, only sweeter and maltier!

Taste had a nice woody character, nice smoke notes, sweet malts, nuttyness. The smoke is huge in the aroma, but is more subtle and balanced in the taste. A bit of hops come on the finish. Quite good.

The feel was smooth and creamy. Lot's of substance to it. Carbonation was low, giving it that velvety character. Body is solid medium.

With the smoke intense, yet not overpowering, drinkability was good. Not hard to put away, and overall a shining smoked dopplebock example!

3.94/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer pours a murky orange-amber color. The head is a half inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of smoke, wood, bacon, and caramel. It is a strong aroma. The taste is quite a bit mellower than the aroma. There is still a strong smoke presence, especially in the finish, but it is balanced with a solid malt backbone. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a velvety texture, and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a good rauchbier that I would gladly drink again.

3.94/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a mug. Had a bright amber color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Almost no lacing.

S: Smoky, smoky, and smoky. You get a little malt in the nose, but the smoke takes center stage.

T: Tasted overwhelmingly of smoked malt, with some hops and a bit of grain as well. As it goes with the other Aecht beers, the smokiness dominates the flavor. Decent, but not exactly multidimensional.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a dry, clean finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Beers like this with smoked ingredients are good every once in a while, but they aren't something I'd drink all the time. Still, a well done beer.

3.94/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy copper with a foamy cream head that dissipates fairly quickly to almost nothing.

Smoke and meaty goodness comes to the forefront of the aroma. There's a slightly sweet underlying malt character that accompanies the phenolic smoke.

Flavor reveals a sweet melanoidin and toasted malt backbone, which is nicely contrasted by the smoke that kicks in most palate. The finish is lightly dry and floral. Herbal hop notes lend a tea-like impression.

Body is moderate, with carbonation on the lower side. Alcohol warmth is subtle.

Smoke is far more prevalent in the aroma than the flavor, which is actually fairly balanced. Would be a little sweet for a doppelbock, but the smoky notes prevent that from being noticed.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Someone else has said this is like a bbq in a bottle . . . And it is. But I like it. Smokey with a capital S ! I think this would go great with some wings.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a cloudy brown color. One inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong smoke, sweet malt, hint of pale malt, and a hint of wheat. Fits the style of a Doppelbock. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of slight alcohol, strong smoke, sweet malt, slight wood, hint of pale malt, and a hint of wheat. Overall, good appearance, simple aroma that is mostly smoke, great feel, and good body.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

500ml bottle served in a pilsener glass. A slight gusher off the bottle pop. Pours a dull amber hue with a loose, fizzy, one-inch, cream-colored head the sizzles and pops as it dissipates into a broken slick. Nose expresses smoked, salt pork, some malty sweetness and a hint of toffee in the background. Taste is really quite interesting - the malt and toffee come out in the foreground, with the smoked, salt pork pleasantly integrated into the background - a juxtaposition of the nose. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a pleasant, even carbonation and some residual saltiness. Overall, an interesting beer - not my favorite from Schlenkerla, but a pretty unique example of the style.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Had this on-tap at Local Option. Served in a Bell's tulip.

A - Poured with two fingers of creamy white foam that had excellent retention, but only a few spots of lace. The color was lighter than I expected from a smoked doppelbock, and was almost a transparent dark golden when held up to the light. Still it was quite attractive.

S - The name doesn't lie. Smoke. Oak. Very meaty, with tons of hickory and implied bacon. This is a little more intense than the fastenbier and I miss the offsetting malt sweetness that helps to balance things out.

T - The taste is more in line with what I was hoping for, with some nice caramel malt character supporting the big smoky meat and wood flavors. There's a bitter, tannic finish that jibes with the oak flavor, and an aftertaste of smokiness and lightly glazed ham.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, somewhat sticky. There's a definite residual feel of smokiness - not surprising I guess.

D - I don't like this as much as the Fastenbier, but it's better than the Urbock. In general there's just too much smoke and not enough balance. Glad I got to try it once, but not something I feel the need to have again. If you dig rauchbier, this is definitely a must-try, but I doubt you needed my endorsement to know that.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Big thanks goes out to womencantsail for sharing this one on my recent trip to Cali! Served from bottle into a pilsner glass. Poured yellow-orange with a minimal white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of smoked malt and pulled pork (really!?). The flavor was of smoked malt, pulled pork, and slight wheat. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this wasn't bad, but it also wasn't that great. All I have to say is, pulled pork, really!?!? That was definitely the first experience I have had with this flavor in my beer. For some odd reason I liked it (I am from South Carolina afterall). There was definitely some good flavors and aromas going on here.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

16.9 oz bottle ($4.59 at Maine Brewing Supply in Portland, ME) poured into tumbler.

A: Pours a mostly translucent amber with marmalade highlights. Highly effervescent 2-finger head settles fast and leaves little to no lacing on the glass.

S: I'm fighting to smell anything but smoke in this. Immediately brings to mind smoked cheese. Interesting, if not too much.

T: As expected, smoke overwhelms the flavor profile, but dies down just enough for the sweet and clean doppelbock flavors to shine. Skunky hops lend this beer a pleasantly bitter finish, and offset the smoke nicely.

M: Carbonation is moderate; body is low. Fits the style, I suppose.

O: I tried to rate this to style, but in the end I think it comes down to the fact that I'm truly not a fan of smoked beers. I've tried their marzen (which some people rave over) and ended up pouring it down the drain. This is far more drinkable, although I'm not sure "subtle" could ever serve as a good word to describe any of the Heller-Trum beers. If you're into smoked beers, this one won't disappoint, but it may not convert you if you aren't.

No doubt a well-crafted smoked beer.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to the GHS crew for bringing this one to share. Not the biggest smoked/rauchbier fan, but largadeer told me it was good, so I was a bit more inclined to try it.

A: The beer pours amber in color with a soapy white head to go with it.

S: Definitely quite a bit of smoke, though not quite as campfire heavy as their other beers. There's a definite oak smell to this (apparently the use of oak is one of the main things that sets this beer apart from their others) it, and just very woody overall. A slight meaty character, which I tend to pick up in smoked beers.

T: I can actually taste a decent amount of sweetness from the beer, which has a doppelbock recipe. There is still a lot of smoke and a hint of saltiness to it. There is a touch of fruit underneath, maybe apples. Perhaps it's the saltiness, but I actually do get some bacon here.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation. The smoke sort of lingers on the tongue.

D: While their beers aren't always my thing, this was surprisingly good. Certainly quite smokey, but enjoyable and different.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Dark transparent bronze and brown colored body with a fluffy off-white eggshell colored head that stands up pretty good.

Aroma: Smells like smoked sausages, a bit of rosemary, and a spicy clove scent. I feel it is important to note that the label does state "Schlenkerla Oak Smoke" and the back explains that the malt is kilned with oak wood, which would explain the smoked sausage aroma...so it's not a bad thing. It reminds me of summer campfires and cookouts. It's hard to explain why the aroma is so unique and pleasant...it just is.

Taste: Wow there is this caramel sweetness mixed with a hint of smokey flavor. It's not as rich as I would expect from a Doppelbock...a bit thin, but still tasty. Most of the flavor comes from the smokey presence.

Mouthfeel: Despite the smokiness it is not bitter or acrid which is a plus. It does feel rather thin for a Doppelbock, but it is smooth.

Overall: It's a very nice and unique beer especially if you consider the smoke flavor and aroma. For this reason alone I would say give it a shot. It's not the malty sweet caramel Doppelbock you are probably used to, but it is its own beast. The spicy quality of the beer wins a merit on their own. This is a great beer to pair with food. Have fun with it.

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%

Half-litre bottle, just out of date when poured into my Abbot Ale glass tankard on 14 Nov 2012 @ home.

Good clear amber body with a creamy tan coloured head (for twenty seconds), the head sadly soon turned into a wispy covering and collar.

Smoked German ham came straight into my mind as I poured the beer and the aroma left the bottle. This beer is a liquid version of smoked ham that has been infused with dark, sweet, malty molasses and wraped in hops.

Really enjoyed this beer: I've been to Bamberg a few times and have struggled to embrace the whole rauch scene in general, wish I'd found this during my visits, it might have changed my view of smoky brews: oak obviously does it for me rather than the beech!

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

November 4, 2014

500 ml bottle, weizen glass

A – A very dark amber, not quite turning to brown, all the way through. Fairly clear, with some dark gold highlights. Mildly frothy, light tan head, low to moderate retention.

S – Smoked light wood, oak or beech. Some light hop bitterness. Otherwise pretty malty, a bit juicy. Smoke is really so prominent as to mask the rest.

T – Smoke, very mild, really more on the nose. Caramel, toffee, warm toasted bread, actually a lot of dark sugar-type sweetness. Some very mild to moderate bitterness, almost all on the finish. For all the sweetness, the smoke provides a nice counterbalance.

M – Low carbonation, a fairly juicy backbone, with a touch of dryness on the finish.

O – The smoke really defies the doppelbock category, but otherwise is a great example of the base style. Smoke is mild enough to allow its inclusion, but it’s a unique entry. Very good beer, seems to accomplish its intended goal very well.

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours up a medium orange amber colour with about a half inch of sandy coloured foam on top. It's good looking beer, but rather light for a doppelbock, I'd say.

Smell is precisely what I was hoping for. Smoke, the smell that emanates from a hot, freshly used cast iron skillet, singed bits of ham fat, and a trace of freshly sawn timber. Smell's fantastic just like everything else they brew!

The intensity of the smoke is just as assertive in the flavour as it is with the Märzen or the Ur-bock, however, this seems to have sweeter malts, and the body seems a bit thinner; odd since this is 8% and the Ur-bock is 6,5%.

Not my favourite beer from these guys, but still a good rauch!

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla