Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Had this on-tap at Local Option. Served in a Bell's tulip.

A - Poured with two fingers of creamy white foam that had excellent retention, but only a few spots of lace. The color was lighter than I expected from a smoked doppelbock, and was almost a transparent dark golden when held up to the light. Still it was quite attractive.

S - The name doesn't lie. Smoke. Oak. Very meaty, with tons of hickory and implied bacon. This is a little more intense than the fastenbier and I miss the offsetting malt sweetness that helps to balance things out.

T - The taste is more in line with what I was hoping for, with some nice caramel malt character supporting the big smoky meat and wood flavors. There's a bitter, tannic finish that jibes with the oak flavor, and an aftertaste of smokiness and lightly glazed ham.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, somewhat sticky. There's a definite residual feel of smokiness - not surprising I guess.

D - I don't like this as much as the Fastenbier, but it's better than the Urbock. In general there's just too much smoke and not enough balance. Glad I got to try it once, but not something I feel the need to have again. If you dig rauchbier, this is definitely a must-try, but I doubt you needed my endorsement to know that. (1,267 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

Big thanks goes out to womencantsail for sharing this one on my recent trip to Cali! Served from bottle into a pilsner glass. Poured yellow-orange with a minimal white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of smoked malt and pulled pork (really!?). The flavor was of smoked malt, pulled pork, and slight wheat. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this wasn't bad, but it also wasn't that great. All I have to say is, pulled pork, really!?!? That was definitely the first experience I have had with this flavor in my beer. For some odd reason I liked it (I am from South Carolina afterall). There was definitely some good flavors and aromas going on here. (725 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

16.9 oz bottle ($4.59 at Maine Brewing Supply in Portland, ME) poured into tumbler.

A: Pours a mostly translucent amber with marmalade highlights. Highly effervescent 2-finger head settles fast and leaves little to no lacing on the glass.

S: I'm fighting to smell anything but smoke in this. Immediately brings to mind smoked cheese. Interesting, if not too much.

T: As expected, smoke overwhelms the flavor profile, but dies down just enough for the sweet and clean doppelbock flavors to shine. Skunky hops lend this beer a pleasantly bitter finish, and offset the smoke nicely.

M: Carbonation is moderate; body is low. Fits the style, I suppose.

O: I tried to rate this to style, but in the end I think it comes down to the fact that I'm truly not a fan of smoked beers. I've tried their marzen (which some people rave over) and ended up pouring it down the drain. This is far more drinkable, although I'm not sure "subtle" could ever serve as a good word to describe any of the Heller-Trum beers. If you're into smoked beers, this one won't disappoint, but it may not convert you if you aren't.

No doubt a well-crafted smoked beer. (1,142 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to the GHS crew for bringing this one to share. Not the biggest smoked/rauchbier fan, but largadeer told me it was good, so I was a bit more inclined to try it.

A: The beer pours amber in color with a soapy white head to go with it.

S: Definitely quite a bit of smoke, though not quite as campfire heavy as their other beers. There's a definite oak smell to this (apparently the use of oak is one of the main things that sets this beer apart from their others) it, and just very woody overall. A slight meaty character, which I tend to pick up in smoked beers.

T: I can actually taste a decent amount of sweetness from the beer, which has a doppelbock recipe. There is still a lot of smoke and a hint of saltiness to it. There is a touch of fruit underneath, maybe apples. Perhaps it's the saltiness, but I actually do get some bacon here.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation. The smoke sort of lingers on the tongue.

D: While their beers aren't always my thing, this was surprisingly good. Certainly quite smokey, but enjoyable and different. (1,067 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Dark transparent bronze and brown colored body with a fluffy off-white eggshell colored head that stands up pretty good.

Aroma: Smells like smoked sausages, a bit of rosemary, and a spicy clove scent. I feel it is important to note that the label does state "Schlenkerla Oak Smoke" and the back explains that the malt is kilned with oak wood, which would explain the smoked sausage aroma...so it's not a bad thing. It reminds me of summer campfires and cookouts. It's hard to explain why the aroma is so unique and pleasant...it just is.

Taste: Wow there is this caramel sweetness mixed with a hint of smokey flavor. It's not as rich as I would expect from a Doppelbock...a bit thin, but still tasty. Most of the flavor comes from the smokey presence.

Mouthfeel: Despite the smokiness it is not bitter or acrid which is a plus. It does feel rather thin for a Doppelbock, but it is smooth.

Overall: It's a very nice and unique beer especially if you consider the smoke flavor and aroma. For this reason alone I would say give it a shot. It's not the malty sweet caramel Doppelbock you are probably used to, but it is its own beast. The spicy quality of the beer wins a merit on their own. This is a great beer to pair with food. Have fun with it. (1,261 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%

Half-litre bottle, just out of date when poured into my Abbot Ale glass tankard on 14 Nov 2012 @ home.

Good clear amber body with a creamy tan coloured head (for twenty seconds), the head sadly soon turned into a wispy covering and collar.

Smoked German ham came straight into my mind as I poured the beer and the aroma left the bottle. This beer is a liquid version of smoked ham that has been infused with dark, sweet, malty molasses and wraped in hops.

Really enjoyed this beer: I've been to Bamberg a few times and have struggled to embrace the whole rauch scene in general, wish I'd found this during my visits, it might have changed my view of smoky brews: oak obviously does it for me rather than the beech! (717 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

November 4, 2014

500 ml bottle, weizen glass

A – A very dark amber, not quite turning to brown, all the way through. Fairly clear, with some dark gold highlights. Mildly frothy, light tan head, low to moderate retention.

S – Smoked light wood, oak or beech. Some light hop bitterness. Otherwise pretty malty, a bit juicy. Smoke is really so prominent as to mask the rest.

T – Smoke, very mild, really more on the nose. Caramel, toffee, warm toasted bread, actually a lot of dark sugar-type sweetness. Some very mild to moderate bitterness, almost all on the finish. For all the sweetness, the smoke provides a nice counterbalance.

M – Low carbonation, a fairly juicy backbone, with a touch of dryness on the finish.

O – The smoke really defies the doppelbock category, but otherwise is a great example of the base style. Smoke is mild enough to allow its inclusion, but it’s a unique entry. Very good beer, seems to accomplish its intended goal very well. (985 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours up a medium orange amber colour with about a half inch of sandy coloured foam on top. It's good looking beer, but rather light for a doppelbock, I'd say.

Smell is precisely what I was hoping for. Smoke, the smell that emanates from a hot, freshly used cast iron skillet, singed bits of ham fat, and a trace of freshly sawn timber. Smell's fantastic just like everything else they brew!

The intensity of the smoke is just as assertive in the flavour as it is with the Märzen or the Ur-bock, however, this seems to have sweeter malts, and the body seems a bit thinner; odd since this is 8% and the Ur-bock is 6,5%.

Not my favourite beer from these guys, but still a good rauch! (686 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a: Clear, surprisingly pale, golden amber color; poured with small fizzy head.

s: Mellow, prickly smoke with a hint of sweet bread. I couldn't find all that much here.

t: Plenty more going on in the mouth, I'm liking it. Woody smoke throughout, but plenty more manages to come through. Sweet bread and some caramel up front. Chocolate and sugary tannins at the end. A little too much lingering sweetness.

m: A bit watery.

o: I might have had an older bottle. I liked this but I might have loved it if it wasn't as sugary. Are there any other smoked doppelbocks to try? (572 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%

Much lighter than the other Schlenkerlas, a dark caramel beer with a weak off white head — but my glass wasn't immaculately clean, so I'll give this the benefit of the doubt. Aroma is smooth and mellow, but strong and meaty. Lovely notes of sweet barbecue char, fruity kalamata olive, rich oaken vanilla, maple leaves, and apple hum a rich, enticing, autumnal harmony. Smooth on the tongue as well, with a smoke flavor that's sweet, rich, and dominant but not overpowering, allowing pleasantly rich fruit and caramel flavors in along with a nice slap of bitter green noble hops. The mouthfeel falls a bit short, with a pleasant tingle but a lack of body that doesn't carry the flavor and allows the raw alcohol flavor to intrude. Quite a nice beer, though, and one I'd love to try with cheese or chocolate. (808 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Surly glass. It poured a hazy amber color with a thin white head concentrating around the edges of the glass. The head pretty much faded away after a few minutes.

The aroma is strong with smoky, campfire like flavors. Definitely one of the smokiest aromas I've came across. I get a pretty big malty sweetness coming through behind the smoke as well with a little caramel and toffee poking through.

The taste also has a very bold smoke flavor to it throughout the beer. I get more of the woody, oak coming through in the smoke with a little of the malty sweetness coming through in the finish. Definitely a very smoke forward beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied overall and maybe a little light for what I like in the style. Carbonation is low and seems appropriate. Overall it was a very smoky beer, definitely one of the smokiest beers I've had. I really liked how the oak wood came out. I really like smoky beers so this one was a nice treat this evening. It would definitely be an intense beer for someone just getting into the style though. (1,085 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%

a. rich red orange color. beautifully clear dark beer.

s. it smells exactly like bacon, not like bacon, it is bacon, really really rich sweet and salty bacon.

t. mellow up front with a rich almost sweetness that hops into hoppiness and bitterness. finishes with that bacony aftertaste, a bit dry. bready and malty and delicious.

m. mellow mouthfeel, nothing special. a little above "average"

d. drinkable, because of the sensory playfulness, the smell is incredibly potent and unique. (488 characters)

Undated bottle at 40 degrees into goblet
Vintage cellar $ 5.95/bottle
Lovely aroma of smoke
Head nonexistent
Lacing poor
Body dark amber, clear
Flavor very malty and smokey, no alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl
Medium palate, slightly oily, carbonation soft

Lack of head/poor lacing detracts from the appearance, but served closer to 50 degrees the head is quite nice. Another good rauch from Bamberg. (398 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ. Pours deep amber in color with a finger of preposterously dense white head with lengthy retention levels that left weblike lacing in its wake. The aroma is smokey, which is no revelation here, but underneath this I could pick up some subtleties of the underlying beer such as caramel malt and a crisp lager character. The flavor is much the same, the smoke dominates at first, but a doppelbock lies beneath it with a moderately malty backbone and crisp finish. Medium bodied and surprisingly bubbly as well. Interesting beer for sure, I think this type pairs better with food in general, but a very good example of rauchbier. (650 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

A: pous a clear copper with a finger of beige head that fades into a frothy ring with little lacing.

S: tons of smoke here with notes of campfire and bacon. Underneath it all are some doppelbock notes of sweet dark fruits.

T: smoke dominates here as well with the sweeter, fruity notes a bit more present. The finish is sweet and smokey with a slight bitterness.

M: medium body with mid-low carbonation, this beer is slightly on the watery side.

O: an enjoyable beer, overall. More of a rauchbier than doppelbock, but still tasty and drinkable. (548 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a shaker pint: Crisp, clear brass under a loose, thin head. Nice color, body could be better. Moderate nucleation.

Moderate smoke is notable at first in the smell, with a mild ham character, a little more restrained than most rauchbiers I've had. Behind that is a lager that's a little on the sweet side, with a light honey or even fruity note, like fig. Reminds me more of a maibock in character, but with this layer of smoked meat.

Smoke is right up front in the taste, interestingly coupled with a subtly spicy hop character, moving through typical bready notes in the middle. Interestingly, a kind of honey glaze flavor rises at the end, with a little bit of spice like clove, really rounding this off to a honey-glazed ham flavor. Tasty & rich but quickly satisfying. Just a little bit of alcohol presence, but settles in nicely with the other flavors.

Remarkably smooth for a smoked beer, medium-bodied, & leaves a sweet, lightly viscous coating in the aftertaste.

Everything's good about this beer, but I'm looking at the 10 oz. left in my glass & wondering how the hell I'm going to finish this. Don't estimate this - it's a rich, full beer that kind of tricked me at first, & I've reached my saturation point pretty shortly in. Good, but best to split. (1,277 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz. bottle with the standard Schlenkerla label. This version is a dark forest green with a silver border. Inside the rectangular label is the name of the beer in German, but it was written in some white hard to read old school weird font lettering. Below the name of the beer is a wreath made of leaves and acorns. The back dark forest green label contains a lengthy description of the beer and all the mandatory US information. Missing from the labels is a best before date or a bottle code.

When poured into a Paulaner Salvator Pilsner glass, this smoky beer was a crystal clear amber with some faint tangerine orange highlights along the sides. The initial head of foam was about 3/4 of an inch in height and cotton white in color. This cotton white head of foam had pretty good retention that left behind a tiny skim of foam and a few small blots of lace around the glass. I'm pretty sure that I haven't had a crystal amber Doppelbock before.

The aroma was smoky as hell! It was as strong as their other smoked beers. The first smoky aroma that came pouring out was the hickory smoked bacon. Behind the bacon was some smoked ham, beech wood, a dab of smoked sausage, a pinch of black pepper, a touch of smoked malts, and a subtle whiff of green olives. It smelled like every smoky aroma had a sweet undertone to it. The aroma was unique for a Doppelbock, but not a Rauchbier.

The taste was smoky, but not as smoky as the aroma indicated the taste might be. The first taste that I got was the smoked malts. Waiting behinds the smoked malts was some hickory smoked bacon, a little smoked ham, a dash of black pepper, and a pinch of beech wood. While all the smoky aroma had a sweet undertone to them, the smoky tastes had a slightly bitter undertone to them. If the beer's tastes were as smoky as the beer's aroma, this beer would tasted like you were drinking a beer from a smoke stack or from a pit BBQ.

Even though this was a 8% ABV smoky beer, it was more a medium bodied beer than a full bodied beer. The aftertaste was smoky of course. Did you expect anything different? The aftertaste of smoked ham, bacon, and malts lingered on for a little bit. I had a hard time tasting and feeling the beer's somewhat high 8% ABV.

To me it tasted like the brewery combined the Rauchbier style with the Doppelbock style. A part of me wished that there were more smoky flavors in the taste and aftertaste. I think my taste buds were jealous with what my nose smelled. It was the aroma of this beer that made it for me. Would I drink this beer again? Probably not. If I want a smoky beer, I'll order a Rauchbier or a Smoked Porter. If I want a Doppelbock, I'll order a Doppelbock. I don't want to cut any corners and get another bottle of a Smoky Doppelbock. (2,766 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

A deep clear amber beer with a fizzy white head. The head fades fast but a small surface film is there. No lacing and light carbs.
Aroma of course is smoky, the malts are sweet. As far as smoke could be beech could be oak, couldn't tell you which.
On my first taste there was a big smokey presence that was dry and astringent followed but a sweet doppelbock malt taste.It was smooth and bready sweet. Also, I get both in the flavor and on the palette a herbal minty taste perhaps even medicinal. The smokiness is sutle yet promident yet the malts are really sweet and I think the oppose each other.
This is a tough one to gauge since I like smoked beers for the most part, but this one I think needs to grow on you. (715 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Served in a stemmed stange...or something like that from Durty Nellies in Palatine.

This beer was served a clear amber color with a decent ecru foam on the surface that was inviting. The nose is almost totally of smoke with bit of caramel in the background. The flavor has a bit of dryer smoke that has a slightly soured finish to it. The flavors are caramel like in nature beyond the smoke, but it's mostly smoke. The mouthfeel is a little on the acidic side, drinkability depended for me, it was hard to drink just by itself, but when paired with grilled foods it was wonderful. So I leave it at that. A nice beer overall. (625 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

500 mL bottle at Cloverleaf Tavern, served with a tumbler glass.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche pours a crystal clear amber, with about two fingers of off white foam crowning the beer. Head retention is short lived and lacing is minimal. The nose is fairly one-note, but it has a nice hickory smoked bacon aroma. The glavor gas a solid bready malt opening. The rauch malt then comes in to finish out the flavor profile with a pleasant smoked meat/barbecue presence. There's a nice sturdiness to the body, while staying short of being overbearingly chewy. The carbonation is subtle, just enough to cut through the malt. Even if Aecht Schlenkerla's Eiche is classified as a doppelbock, the use of smoked malt renders it a bit idiosyncratic for the style. While it's intensely smoky, it's not too much, once one takes a couple sips and gets acclimated. (843 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, a smoked dopplebock is what I could learn off of the Internets, so let's see how it is,

A: Pours a relatively clear dark amber/red with a soft, soapy white head, leaving some lace.

S: Some smoke for sure, but a nice dark sugar character from the high gravity gets in there.

T: As with any Schlenkerla beer it's smoky, but this flavour does not dominate as it can it some of their other brews. Moderate oak smoke, but well balanced with the Munich type malt and residual sugar.

M: Very smooth as with most dopplebocks, the alcohol is well hidden, smoky of course.

D: A nice lager all around. The most balanced of the Schlenkerla beers I've had, unique. (681 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%

pours lighter than I expected, but it's a nice amber with a big head, though that may be a function of the bottle neck. The smell is smoke, and a ton of it, with some meat. The smoke is by far the dominating and overpowering flavor, but I do get some pork and there is a bit of sweet malt, too. It's like liquid bacon. Goes down quite easily, and there is no hint of the 8% ABV.

This is unlike any doppelbock I've had. So if you think you'll be getting something like Celebrator or Salvator, you're not. It is firmly a Rauchbier.

Overall, it's pretty tasty, but the smoke really is a lot to handle. Be ready! (610 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle purchased and drank at Chocolate and Vines in Rochester, NY.

Pours a ruddy looking light brown, with a small quarter inch head or so, and not much lacing.

Smells like a campfire, with some sweet malts and toasted malt as well.

This is probably the smokiest beer I've ever had (first Aecht Schlenkerla beer I've tried), so it was a bit of a shock. Slightly meaty, but mostly tastes like smoked wood, slightly ashy. Some sweetness near the end cuts the smoke a little bit, some caramel and honey.

Medium bodied, thick and chewy mouthfeel, low carbonation. Starts smoky then finishes sweet.

This intense of a smoked beer will never be my favorite thing, but I still did enjoy it. (688 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up at Julio's recently.

Pour is copper orange/amber with a tiny bit of sediment dust floating about, off-white head retains as a thick cap, some lacing left.

Smoke is there but somewhat on the light side, mixing well with toasty and roasted malts, bread, caramel, and hot dogs.

Smoky grilled meat and light char stronger in the taste, but nicely well-rounded with doppelbock flavors coming through. Big caramel, toffee, roast, dark fruit. Some lighter-end fruits (apple) and some licorice noticeable.

Somewhat thin, could use more of a full-on malty feel but decent. Obvious smokiness and some alcohol presence make this kind of a sipper, but it's well-balanced.

Good, as always a nicely complex and interesting rauchbier from Schlenkerla. It's not my favorite of theirs but the bigger/doppelbock take on this one definitely supplies its own unique charm. (868 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%

what a sexy little bottle! bought this just for fun..clear light amber, almost no head.
smoked sweet coal, woody tannins and some malt highlights dominate the beer. pretty enjoyable, but having a sore throat, drinking a smoked beer was probably not a good idea. i'm not going to knock it too much for my dumb decision making. I'll come back to this with my next bottle.. (370 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla