Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.
Ratings: 764 | Reviews: 374
1.47/5  rDev -63.6%

Served from the bottle into a mug

A- Poured a murky brown with orange hues with a three finger soapy head that left no lace.

S- Very strong aroma. This smells like bacon, rubber like aroma. I love bacon, but this smells just like bacon, a little startling.

T- This tastes like bacon, burnt rubber, beef jerky, and band aids. Very strong flavors that I did not care for.

M- Hard for me to get this in my mouth long enough to really assess the mouthfeel. Medium body and medium carbonation.

O- I could not choke this down. This flavor is just not for me I guess. My experience with smoked beers is limited, I have had some that were okay, but the smoke flavor in this one is very strong.

1.78/5  rDev -55.9%

On draft at Gastropub 775 in Reno, NV on July 26 2011.

This beer was, for me, extreme.

I have had rauchbier on many occasions and have enjoyed beers of the style. I get it. However, I thought this beer was awful and wondered if something had gone wrong.

The beer had an orange brown hue.

It smelled like burning rubber.

The first few sips revealed woodchips soaked in medicine. Later, medicinal flavors of beef jerky and ham developed.

I did not finish the beer. :(

2.09/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A - A deep red beer with a light beige lacing.

S - A strong smell of burned and smoked oak wood.

T - This is like drinking an astray with a smoked ham added. There is however a undertone of a very nice Doppelbock which is a bit sweet. Unfortunately I am sure that by the time my glass is finished I will end up with a huge headache.

M - A medium carbonation with no bitterness or any alcohol heat.

O - Now I found a beer that is even worse than a sour one. This is not my kind of thing. I stopped smoking 8,5 years ago and this beer tastes like I have started again. This beer still get some points for the Doppelbock undertone which is is undoubtedly nice and wonderful.

2.14/5  rDev -47%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

A: Cloudy bronze amber, no visible carbonation, no head.

S: Smoked meat, specifically bologna, is the dominant scent. It smells very similar to a home that has a traditional wood burning stove. Very slight sweet fruit can be found if you look hard enough.

T: Smoked meat on the front end that lingers, and a sweet dark fruit taste on the back end that accumulates through the pint.

M: Absolutely flat, no carbonation, slight alcohol sensation that hangs out for a minute before moving on. A very light body for a doppelbock.

O: Change of pace beer to have once in a very long while, but I only got halfway through the pint, and am not interested in coming back anytime soon.

2.44/5  rDev -39.6%

Heavy smoke and oak flavor, smooth but too strong of flavors

2.51/5  rDev -37.9%

1 pint .9 oz bottle, poured into a mug at approximately 40 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden red, almost orange-tinted, and forms quite a thick pale beige head that leaves crazy amounts of lacing as it slowly recedes. Bubbles line the bottom of the glass, and rocket upwards sporadically rather than in columns.

Smell: Dark, dank smoke swirls out of the glass, redolent with scents that remind me of a pork shoulder going in my smoker on a spring afternoon. There's a sweetness underlying the smoke, like caramel. The smoke scent itself, while allegedly oak, reminds me more of burning a mix of peat and hickory.

Taste: Oh my, that is a smooth-drinking beverage. The taste opens with a sweet caramel malt that seems to have been aged in oak barrels, which is suddenly overtaken in the middle by the taste of fire-blackened pork still dripping with fat. As it progresses, the meaty essence gives way first to charred and ashy wood, and by the finish, to a peaty soot. While there are allegedly Hallertau hops present, I can find no hop character to this beer (which is a plus for me), beyond the slight earthy-peaty tone to some of the smoke. There is no indication at all that this contains alcohol, just sweetness and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and quite drinkable, this feels like silk along the palate.

Overall: My first encounter with a Schlenkerla, and assuredly not my last. I'd call this more of a rauchbier than a doppelbock, as the primary characteristic is the smoke - there's nowhere near the level of bready, toffee, caramel, nutty, or dark fruit flavors I would associate with a doppelbock, nor the sticky mouthfeel. I greatly enjoy this beer, but I am forced to rate it as a doppelbock because that's how it's classified, and therefore that's the style-specific ranking it will appear in. Were this lumped in as a rauchbier, use of oak instead of beech notwithstanding, my rating would be far higher - easily over a 4 in every category.

2.51/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a golden orange, almost amber color, opaque with nearly no head retention. Then again, my fridge stays a bit colder than I'd like it to for the beer's sake due to the missus. The first thing I got in the nose was paste. Reminded me of kindergarten. Then I started thinking in terms of smoke and I realized it was just smokiness, like from a campfire. Some alcohol sting, and sweet, tart malt are in there too. No yeast or hops to speak of in the nose (or taste, for that matter). Sweet amber malt hits the tongue first, then super smoky flavors take over. I get some sweet nutiness in the finish but bitter smoke remains on the palate. A bit thick mouthfeel. Smooth, wet finish.

Sorry, but I just couldn't get paste out of my mind and that definitely affected my feelings of this beer. Although I had a bad reaction to the smell, the taste wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it was interesting to say the least. I'm surprised this came from Germany. If I had to guess without knowing who made it, I'd have said Rogue because of the super strong smokiness. I appreciate what they are trying to do. I just wish I had it with some barbeque, as I think it would make a great pairing. Gotta give it to them for hiding the 8% so well, too. I wouldn't necessarily buy it again, but it was an interesting experience.

2.7/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance: (3.0)
- Pours a rather clear copper. Perhaps a bit darker than a new copper penny. After seeing that it didn't have much carbonation, I immediately started a heavy pour into the glass. Perhaps a touch of off-white fizzy head appeared, but it quickly settled to the smallest half-ring, and some very small traces of bubbles on top.

Smell: (3.0)
- Big smoke. Wonderful woody smoke, salty smoke, light grain and sweetness. Like that smell that sticks with you if you hung out by a fire burning old pallets all night. Very woody smoked scent. It is pretty much all that dominates this beer. While it smells very good, I feel the smoke dominates the smell much too much.

Taste: (2.5)
- Huge smokey salty woody flavor, but I think the aroma might twist what one would think the true flavor is. Light grain, slighty wheaty flavor. Small touch of caramel. Bit earthy, burnt, sweet.. not much hop. Overall very smokey, and interesting... but really isn't overly good.

Mouth Feel: (3.0)
- It's basically medium bodied, slightly syrupy, but lacks a good amount of carbonation. I feel it is kind of flat, and does wet the palate a bit because of its pallet burning presence. Eh..

Overall: (2.5)
- If you like burned wood, and massive smokey character.. this beer is for you. I feel it is way undercarbonated, may have a decent malt backbone, but is just not hitting high marks with me. I like some good smoked oak etc, age, and unique character.. but holy smokes..

2.76/5  rDev -31.7%

8% ABV and $5.29/500ml bottle...

Pours a purty dense, syrupy-looking amber. Not much of a head forms, but the lacing is quite nice considering. When you pour this beer, it's like stepping into a medieval German home in Winter: it's like the vents are closed on the fireplace. It's smoky...SMOOOKY!!! That aroma is so robust and dominant you can't smell anything else. It's crushing. This must have been what that Franco kid smelled like - only Humboldtier...There are underpinnings of malt and such in there, but they are impossible to locate amdist the flames...

Flavor is also very smoky. It's tastes like when you leave your jacket to close to the fire around X-mas....You get home and the next day it smells like the fireplace. The initial busrt of flavor is very nice - a rich, malty Dopplebock. But it is immediately crushed by the Thor's Hammer of smoke. This beer finishes bitter from the smoke and what I can only assume are hops, and it's not awesome.

To liken this to a movie - I'd call it the "Up in Smoke" of beer. To liken it to a woman I'd call it the Snookie of beer - it's got only one trick and it's not even that great at it...

What I like most: The crazy unique flavor profile.

What I like least: The complete one dimensional nature of it.

Verdict: Too expensive to be worth it, and too unique to be an everyday beer. Really a novelty only.

2.78/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a nice creamy off white head.

S: Smokey with the smell of a newly opened band-aid.

T: To me, the smoke flavoring was overpowering. Get yourself ready for a liquid smoke type experience. The band-aid smell also carried over into the taste. This is definitely not my style of beer.

M: This beer does have body to it...

O: This was a tough beer for me to drink. I could not finish a full beer as it was like drinking a burnt piece of oak. If this is your style, then I'd think you'd be happy.

2.96/5  rDev -26.7%

Wish I had looked a bit closer at the bottle before I picked this one up. I am a big fan of smoked meats, but I don't like smoked, cheese or beers. I don't even drink scotch because of the smoke flavor. So needless to say I am not a fan of this beer.

It was OK before it warmed up, but then the smell and flavor of smoke became overpowering.
I like doppelbocks, but I don't like smoked beer.

I won't buy this one again.

2.97/5  rDev -26.5%

A-Pours a hazy amber color with yeast floaties suspended in the beer with a finger of white head.

S-Smells strongly of oak and smoked bacon with some very mild caramel.

T-Smokey and slightly bitter and tannic with a lingering medicinal note.

M-This is pretty viscous with moderate carbonation and with a dryness in the throat.

D-I guess this style just isn't for me. I have a bottle of their Marzen that I'll try to see if this one was off a little.

2.97/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours from 12oz bottle into tulip glass. Pours a clear copper color with a finger-thick white head that settles into a thin film on the beer. Aroma of smoked pork, wood, campfire, well-done bacon, and burnt sweet toast. Flavor of smoked pork, burnt toast, caramel malts, toasted sugar, peat, nectarine, honey, and corn syrup. The flavor drops out a little from the nose. Medium-full bodied, with a smoky, syrupy mouthfeel and a quick metallic, then lingering smoky finish. Sweet and smoky. I can't say this is my style.

Smoked taste takes a lot of place. Unfortunately, the doppelbock side is quite hidden.

Ummm...Bar-b-que in a bottle...

3.15/5  rDev -22%

A: Pours a clear amber, with a full finger of head. Retention is fair, lacing minimal.

S: Interesting. Fruity malt for sure, but a strong smell of smoke is thoroughly mixed in. I'm reminded of a sweet, smoked bacon.

T: Whoa, REALLY sweet! Then, after a moment, really bitter when the hops kick in. And nothing in between. The smokiness is there from start to finish, too, but in contrast to the smell, it plays second fiddle to the other flavors.

M: Good carbonation, though a bit astringent.

O: This was my first (and likely last) foray into Rauchbier.
That overwhelming sweetness just didn't do it for me. I am a big fan of smoky flavors in tea and scotch whiskey, so I was optimistic that I'd be a big fan, but I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed.

3.15/5  rDev -22%

A - Pours with a small head of off-white bubbles that subsides rapidly and leaves no lace. The body is a slightly hazy, copper-gold color.

S - Sweet malt and strong, meaty smoke. Some spicy notes of clove and spruce with a bit of toffee.

T - Strongly smoky malt up front with an intense, candy like sweetness that reminds me of toffee and hazelnuts. More smoky sweetness in the middle with a hint of char and licorice. The beer finishes with intense, sweet toffee, pine and spruce smoke notes, and more black licorice.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - This is a very strange beer, it reminds me in a way of Alba Scots Pine ale (which I wouldn't generally consider a compliment). The smoke character is very different from that found in the other, beech smoked Schlenkerla beers. This is much more spicy and intense with an incense like quality of pine and licorice that does strange things on the palate when it hits the sweet toffee malt. The individual flavors here have some potential, but when it all comes together it just ends up as a sticky, weird, cloying mess. A rare miss from the masters of Smoked beer.

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Reviewed on 12/31/2009. On tap at DBGB. Pours a clear orange with a small white head. Aroma of smoky meats, peat, bacon. Flavor is quite minty on the initial sip followed by berries, smoked wood, smoked meats. Hmm, didn't really enjoy this one -- it was too minty.

3.21/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottle picked up in Chicago and served in a Mikasa pilsner glass.

THe pour brings a copper-hued brew with a very strange white head. It started out quite frothy with large bubbles, and then comes a reverse head. The two eventually meet and form a nice, dense white head with good retention. A bit of lacing on the glass and a thin collar throughout. This was the highlight of the beer for me. The nose is overwhelmingly smokey with a bit of a meat character and not much playing behind it.

The taste is similar in terms of what the smoke does. Here I can get a bit of the smoked oak, though I can't say it really adds a positive dimension. The underlying doppelbock is completely gone and I don't get anything that would indicate this was the base. The taste brings a bit too much tannin and is overwhelmingly smokey. I suppose it's not that the level of smoke is bad, it's just that there's really nothing else there. A bit of an astringent, bitter finish. Really not a fan of this though I could see how one could enjoy it. My least favorite Schlenkerla beer to date.

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 500 mL. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A vigorous pour yields a 2 1/2-finger cream-colored head that slowly settles to. The body is a hazy orange honey color with a slow flow of tiny carbonation bubbles meandering to the surface. The body is rather light in color for the style. Thin lacing attempts to stick to the sides of the glass throughout consumption.

I have opened bags of beef jerkey that smelled more bland than this. Was this beer brewed with bacon grease? The smokiness is incredible and extremely overpowering of the other aromas attempting to come through.

The flavor, while matching up perfectly with the aroma, is a little weak comparatively. The smokiness and the meatiness are both there, but in a creamier way. This allows for the sweet, caramelized malts to come through a little.

Medium bodied with good carbonation, this beer is a little watery in my opinion. While the body is great as you hold it in your mouth, it is swallowed like a heavy water and leaves little coating. A stickier mouthfeel would have helped this beer's flavor profile immensely.

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

500ml bottle poured into a pils glass.

Small fizzy white head that leaves behind a thin layer of retention. Very cloudy dark amber color.

Strong smoke aroma similar to my clothes the day after I sit around a campfire all night. A bit reminiscent of teriyaki beef jerky. Some burnt chicory wood like day after campfire in there as well.

A nice bit of mild hops comes through the smoke in the taste with some sweet malts to help balance. Much less one dimensional than my nose predicted, but don't get me wrong this is very much tasting like oak aged and smoked beef jerky.

Medium bodied with light but acceptable carbonation levels. Goes down alright for a smoke bomb.

This is one of the rauchiest beers I've tried to date. Pretty good, if you can handle the smoke!

3.34/5  rDev -17.3%

A one pint bottle gifted from my brother. No dates or anything on the label, but I assume this seasonal offering is pretty fresh.

A: Pour is deep amber, and fairly clear. not much head even with an aggressive pour into my Lucifer goblet, and certainly no lacing going on.

S: A slight hint of smoke.... just kidding -- an ass-hammering amount of smoke. This might be the most smokey beer I've ever had, although its been a good couple years since I've had the regular Aecht Schlenkerla. It is fairly distinct and oaky however, and I dare say balanced with the malt and hops. Maybe more ceder like than oak -- on second sniff.... Hints of campfire and back bacon.

T: Pretty sweet up front. Hops bite pretty hard after the swallow and everything is blanketed some thick rolling smoke. Again it seems quite ceder-y and sort of pine like (probably from the hops). I'm not loving this beer, but if you are a fan of smoke, this has to be The Daddy.

M: Pretty thick. Moderate carbonation. Quite sweet as I mentioned and sticky as a result. somehow the insane amount of smoke adds a bit of astringency however -- It's palatable but not the easiest thing to drink.

Overall: I think if I lived in Bamburg, I'd like this, but growing up in Canada and not being exposed to this very often, I really don't have a big fondness for this style of beer. However, it is INCREDIBLY interesting, AND probably better than the regular Aecht Schlenkerla.

3.36/5  rDev -16.8%

500ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: IPA-like amber body with a head that leaves little to no lacing.

S: Lots and lots of smoke, some fruitiness.

T: Even more smoke, some malt sweetness, a hint of clean noble hops.

M: Medium-bodied, somewhat sticky.

D: It's certainly unique, I'll give it that. But it's really hard to drink in any significant amount.

3.36/5  rDev -16.8%

Served in short glasses, at a tasting. Very nice appearance. Not a beer I would drink every day, but very unique! The smokiness was overpowering at times (leave subtleness out in this one!), and agreed from previous comments that this is best had ice cold. I would buy again for a group tasting to get a variety of opinions. Glad to have tried this one.

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

(Served in a tulip)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear aged copper color with a creamy and bubbly off-white head that last as a thin film of stick foam. There is a gentle carbonation of micro bubbles.

S- The fragrant meaty smoke has a light band-aid aroma and a woody finish.

T- The woody smoke notes are followed by a biting green hops that are Noble in quality. The finish is crisp and dry with a bitter smoke flavor that lingers.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel and a crisp carbonation with no alcohol heat noticed.

D- I love all their other beers but this beer has bitterness and over the top smoke dominating the flavor making it almost undrinkable. There needs to be some other support, at least a bit, and the woody band-aid notes mixed with the bitter green finish just hang on the tongue.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla