Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-13-2009)

SteveRod, Jan 04, 2012

rangr514, Oct 28, 2012

Miike, Oct 16, 2012
1.43/5  rDev -64.6%

Served from the bottle into a mug

A- Poured a murky brown with orange hues with a three finger soapy head that left no lace.

S- Very strong aroma. This smells like bacon, rubber like aroma. I love bacon, but this smells just like bacon, a little startling.

T- This tastes like bacon, burnt rubber, beef jerky, and band aids. Very strong flavors that I did not care for.

M- Hard for me to get this in my mouth long enough to really assess the mouthfeel. Medium body and medium carbonation.

O- I could not choke this down. This flavor is just not for me I guess. My experience with smoked beers is limited, I have had some that were okay, but the smoke flavor in this one is very strong.

Hoptometrist, May 30, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -62.9%

Minnesota_beer_guy, Mar 16, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -56.7%

suckaj, Aug 03, 2014
1.78/5  rDev -55.9%

On draft at Gastropub 775 in Reno, NV on July 26 2011.

This beer was, for me, extreme.

I have had rauchbier on many occasions and have enjoyed beers of the style. I get it. However, I thought this beer was awful and wondered if something had gone wrong.

The beer had an orange brown hue.

It smelled like burning rubber.

The first few sips revealed woodchips soaked in medicine. Later, medicinal flavors of beef jerky and ham developed.

I did not finish the beer. :(

bceagles39, Aug 01, 2011

Fuzzycuffs, Jan 07, 2013

smartassboiler, Jun 07, 2013

s4s, Oct 09, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A - A deep red beer with a light beige lacing.

S - A strong smell of burned and smoked oak wood.

T - This is like drinking an astray with a smoked ham added. There is however a undertone of a very nice Doppelbock which is a bit sweet. Unfortunately I am sure that by the time my glass is finished I will end up with a huge headache.

M - A medium carbonation with no bitterness or any alcohol heat.

O - Now I found a beer that is even worse than a sour one. This is not my kind of thing. I stopped smoking 8,5 years ago and this beer tastes like I have started again. This beer still get some points for the Doppelbock undertone which is is undoubtedly nice and wonderful.

Mar02x, Jan 14, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -48%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

A: Cloudy bronze amber, no visible carbonation, no head.

S: Smoked meat, specifically bologna, is the dominant scent. It smells very similar to a home that has a traditional wood burning stove. Very slight sweet fruit can be found if you look hard enough.

T: Smoked meat on the front end that lingers, and a sweet dark fruit taste on the back end that accumulates through the pint.

M: Absolutely flat, no carbonation, slight alcohol sensation that hangs out for a minute before moving on. A very light body for a doppelbock.

O: Change of pace beer to have once in a very long while, but I only got halfway through the pint, and am not interested in coming back anytime soon.

BoulderBarrovecchio, Feb 07, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

JohnnyK, May 21, 2014

ggodzik, Jan 16, 2012

rderedin, Sep 22, 2012

Newenglandcraftbrew, Aug 14, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -36.1%

Pours a golden orange, almost amber color, opaque with nearly no head retention. Then again, my fridge stays a bit colder than I'd like it to for the beer's sake due to the missus. The first thing I got in the nose was paste. Reminded me of kindergarten. Then I started thinking in terms of smoke and I realized it was just smokiness, like from a campfire. Some alcohol sting, and sweet, tart malt are in there too. No yeast or hops to speak of in the nose (or taste, for that matter). Sweet amber malt hits the tongue first, then super smoky flavors take over. I get some sweet nutiness in the finish but bitter smoke remains on the palate. A bit thick mouthfeel. Smooth, wet finish.

Sorry, but I just couldn't get paste out of my mind and that definitely affected my feelings of this beer. Although I had a bad reaction to the smell, the taste wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it was interesting to say the least. I'm surprised this came from Germany. If I had to guess without knowing who made it, I'd have said Rogue because of the super strong smokiness. I appreciate what they are trying to do. I just wish I had it with some barbeque, as I think it would make a great pairing. Gotta give it to them for hiding the 8% so well, too. I wouldn't necessarily buy it again, but it was an interesting experience.

Philousa, Nov 13, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance: (3.0)
- Pours a rather clear copper. Perhaps a bit darker than a new copper penny. After seeing that it didn't have much carbonation, I immediately started a heavy pour into the glass. Perhaps a touch of off-white fizzy head appeared, but it quickly settled to the smallest half-ring, and some very small traces of bubbles on top.

Smell: (3.0)
- Big smoke. Wonderful woody smoke, salty smoke, light grain and sweetness. Like that smell that sticks with you if you hung out by a fire burning old pallets all night. Very woody smoked scent. It is pretty much all that dominates this beer. While it smells very good, I feel the smoke dominates the smell much too much.

Taste: (2.5)
- Huge smokey salty woody flavor, but I think the aroma might twist what one would think the true flavor is. Light grain, slighty wheaty flavor. Small touch of caramel. Bit earthy, burnt, sweet.. not much hop. Overall very smokey, and interesting... but really isn't overly good.

Mouth Feel: (3.0)
- It's basically medium bodied, slightly syrupy, but lacks a good amount of carbonation. I feel it is kind of flat, and does wet the palate a bit because of its pallet burning presence. Eh..

Overall: (2.5)
- If you like burned wood, and massive smokey character.. this beer is for you. I feel it is way undercarbonated, may have a decent malt backbone, but is just not hitting high marks with me. I like some good smoked oak etc, age, and unique character.. but holy smokes..

Docer, Jul 08, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -32.4%

8% ABV and $5.29/500ml bottle...

Pours a purty dense, syrupy-looking amber. Not much of a head forms, but the lacing is quite nice considering. When you pour this beer, it's like stepping into a medieval German home in Winter: it's like the vents are closed on the fireplace. It's smoky...SMOOOKY!!! That aroma is so robust and dominant you can't smell anything else. It's crushing. This must have been what that Franco kid smelled like - only Humboldtier...There are underpinnings of malt and such in there, but they are impossible to locate amdist the flames...

Flavor is also very smoky. It's tastes like when you leave your jacket to close to the fire around X-mas....You get home and the next day it smells like the fireplace. The initial busrt of flavor is very nice - a rich, malty Dopplebock. But it is immediately crushed by the Thor's Hammer of smoke. This beer finishes bitter from the smoke and what I can only assume are hops, and it's not awesome.

To liken this to a movie - I'd call it the "Up in Smoke" of beer. To liken it to a woman I'd call it the Snookie of beer - it's got only one trick and it's not even that great at it...

What I like most: The crazy unique flavor profile.

What I like least: The complete one dimensional nature of it.

Verdict: Too expensive to be worth it, and too unique to be an everyday beer. Really a novelty only.

SolomonGrundy, Mar 01, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a nice creamy off white head.

S: Smokey with the smell of a newly opened band-aid.

T: To me, the smoke flavoring was overpowering. Get yourself ready for a liquid smoke type experience. The band-aid smell also carried over into the taste. This is definitely not my style of beer.

M: This beer does have body to it...

O: This was a tough beer for me to drink. I could not finish a full beer as it was like drinking a burnt piece of oak. If this is your style, then I'd think you'd be happy.

Prime16, May 09, 2011

PeteRiz, Apr 06, 2012

AlaskanYoung, Nov 24, 2012

joseph_french, Apr 09, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -28.2%

A-Pours a hazy amber color with yeast floaties suspended in the beer with a finger of white head.

S-Smells strongly of oak and smoked bacon with some very mild caramel.

T-Smokey and slightly bitter and tannic with a lingering medicinal note.

M-This is pretty viscous with moderate carbonation and with a dryness in the throat.

D-I guess this style just isn't for me. I have a bottle of their Marzen that I'll try to see if this one was off a little.

samie85, Jun 13, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -27.5%

Wish I had looked a bit closer at the bottle before I picked this one up. I am a big fan of smoked meats, but I don't like smoked, cheese or beers. I don't even drink scotch because of the smoke flavor. So needless to say I am not a fan of this beer.

It was OK before it warmed up, but then the smell and flavor of smoke became overpowering.
I like doppelbocks, but I don't like smoked beer.

I won't buy this one again.

Hex92, Oct 16, 2012