Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-13-2009)

It is their christmas brew but i think it could be great in early spring or fall

Appearance: Slightly hazy brown-ish copper color with one finger of head that fades slowly with a nice curtain of lace.

Aroma: Lots of smoke that reminds me of apple wood smoked bacon. Really no other aroma can penetrate through the smoke.

Taste: Full bodied and creamy, with nice nutty malt sweetness before the smoked flavors take over. This really reminds me of drinking smoked/cured meat. A bit of hop bitterness towards the back end, before a slightly oily, lingering finish.

The Rest: Very tasty; an excellent rauchbier!

Pours a clearish dark gold/tan color with decent carbonation and head. Aroma is smokey and meaty, not much else. I like this beer and it is a very enjoyable after dinner sipper for me and it is a sipper - chug this only if you want to be ill. Just slightly disappointed only in that while a medium body and I can pick out some sweet malt tastes and a touch of hoppy bitterness, this is mostly a smoke beer. Nothing wrong with that - just that this is not close to a 50/50 balance of rauch/dopple...the smokiness is clearly more dominant. If you love smoke beers with a touch of lingering sweetness then this is yours, but beware if you think you're getting a slightly smoked dopplebock. Perhaps my hope for the latter leads to my review being less than a solid A-, as I like smoke beers and in that case this is another top notch Aecht brew. That being said, a sturdy, fuller-bodied beer that is exceptionally smooth thanks to oak and has a touch of woodiness in it. Smooths as it warms and the longer you sip on it your tongue adjusts to dry smokiness and caramel, toffee, sticky malts and some minor hop flavors come through behind smoke.

Working my way through the Rauchbier category by making a study of this brewery. If I could only find the Fastenbier on draft somewhere.

Beer is orange and clear with a white head. Carbonation is low and lacing is high.

Aroma is like bacon, seriously. Salty, smokey, meaty. Sounds odd but that's what it smells like.

Beer is light in body, tastes a lot like the marzen from the same brewery. There is a strong smoke character. Surprisingly smooth though, not like the urbock that almost makes me choke. This is definitely lighter than the other offerings from this brewery. The smoke lingers on my tongue though. Hard to reset the palate after this one.

A smoked Doppelbock huh? I sampled this one the other day at my local Whole Foods and wanted a healthier taste of this brew.

A: Usually I peg Doppels as being dark, blood red. However, this one was different indeed. Almost clear, orange-grey color, with a nice slight off-white head after a hard pour.

S: Bacon for sure, but it had the sweetness of a Doppel, which gave it sort of an applewood sort of scent.

T: I like this style in this setting. I'm usually not a fan of Doppelbocks because of the concentrated, in-your-face, beet sugar type of sweetness. The smoked concept really mutes that, making this much more palatable.

M: Low carbonation, not overly sweet as a result of the oak smoking, and the lacing was non-existent.

O: Interesting and quite good. Still, I wouldn't drink this every day, but I'd have it again... especially if I'm ever in the mood for a Doppelbock.

Poured from a 500ml bottle with no date. James from the Pangaea Bottle Shoppers assured me that this would be a different beer from anything that I've had. He's right.

A - Light Amber color. Very thin head with not much pacing.

S - The aroma is giving me flashbacks to camping as a child. Smoked wood and bacon are definitely present. Little bit of sweetness and rosary flavors filling my nose. Catching a little bit of spice.

T - Not as smokey as the smell, which I prefer. Getting meaty flavors and a dry finish. After taste is good. Flavor of smoke lingering. Roasted malt flavor with little touch of the 8% alcohol. As it warms up, I'm getting more malt.

M - Medium carbonation. Not to thick and heavy as some other Doppelbocks that I've had, even with more flavor.

O - I'm enjoying this Smoked beer. Not to heavy, good after taste, excellent flavor. It is yet another new beer into my world that will open my eyes even wider for new stuff. I'd love to purchase again.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla