Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.
4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

A truly outstanding beer. Who could say no to an Eiche smoked Doppelbock.

I certainly could not so I had several pints at the Rake and I bought ALL 12 bottles from the store which are surprisingly good value at 3.50 a go.

The beer is nothing like the standard Schlenkerla rang and is not as punchy in its smokeyness but works on a lot more different levels. FANTASTIC. (370 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +15.9%

500 ml with best before date June 2011 into Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche glass. Pours amber to deep coppery body with reddish hue and good clarity, topped by medium beige dense head with good retention, that clings to the walls.
Aroma is a pleasant balance between malty sweetness and non-harsh, smooth wood &, bacon-like smokiness obtained by oak-wood kilned malt.The smoky curtain is delicate enough to transmit the Doppelbock characteristics of the base beer underneath: rich malty sweetness with significant melanoidins and touch of plum and grape-like fruitiness.
The flavor is campfire and bacon-like smokiness which interplays with malty sweetness. The malts exhibit melanoidin qualities accompanied by notes of dark chocolate. Towards the finish emerges peppery spiciness (probably originating from the Hallertau hops used) with moderate hoppy bitterness. No inappropriate harsh, burnt or charred flavors. The finish is semisweet although the smoke reduces the Doppelbock sweetness to some degree by adding some dryness. Medium to full boded with soft carbonation and unbelievable drinkability for a beer of this type, partially thanks to smooth and complex yet not overpowering smoky character.

In short: A fantastic smoked Doppelbock with perfect balance between the smoke and base beer, reflecting the character of both. (1,328 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

I know that I am Biased, I LOVE smoked Beer! Schlenkerla Urbock is one of my favorite all time beers, so i was excited to try this one. Pours a dark but translucent brown with a medium head. Lots of Wood, some meaty goodness and tons of smoke in the nose, I love the way these beers smell and this was no exception. Tasted of wood and smoke as well as bacon but not as intense as the smell. a slight sweetness marries with the smoke perfectly and goes beautifully with food (smoked German Sausage in this lucky mans case!) Smooth and rich on the palate but also light and fluffy as it does not leave any intense flavors in the mouth. Over all a great beer that I will have again but may not love as much as the Urbock. (718 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Light brown color, unexpectedly light compared to most Doppelbocks. Smells like delicious oak smoke, and not much else. Tastes like a freshly scorched 2x4.

I'm enjoying this one to a certain extent, but I"m not entirely sure that if the smoke were gone, I'd still enjoy the beer underneath it. If it's smoke you really like, or if you're just in the mood for something different, this might be the one for you. (412 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Oak, smoked sausage, leather, tobacco. The smoke is what it is. I'm not the biggest fan, but I can appreciate that this beer is well done. The Doppelbock underneath is a bit too sweet and one-dimensional and cannot fully stand up to the smoke. Needs food to pair it with, something that's very big and savory, but not too sweet in itself. (338 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap at Prime 16 in New Haven. Never heard of the brewery before. On tap list as "Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Oak Smoke." Review from notes.

The beer was served in a tulip. Crystal clear reddish amber with a big, puffy white head. Not much retention or lacing. The smell is big smoke, with a little bit of sweet malt. Not terribly complicated but good.

The taste isn't what I was expecting. I now see that the style is a Doppelbock but I didn't know that at the time. A scotch-y smokiness is prominent throughout, but there's also a fantastic deep toffee malt sweetness. The combination of smoke and sweetness is fabulous, and a new experience for me. Smoked doppelbocks -- who new? The overall effect is somehow meaty. Ham? Mouthfeel is slick, very low carbonation, and I can't detect any alcohol presence.

This is one of the more interesting beers I've tried in some time. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and the smoked doppelbock is something I'll definitely keep my eyes open for from now on. (997 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%

pours lighter than I expected, but it's a nice amber with a big head, though that may be a function of the bottle neck. The smell is smoke, and a ton of it, with some meat. The smoke is by far the dominating and overpowering flavor, but I do get some pork and there is a bit of sweet malt, too. It's like liquid bacon. Goes down quite easily, and there is no hint of the 8% ABV.

This is unlike any doppelbock I've had. So if you think you'll be getting something like Celebrator or Salvator, you're not. It is firmly a Rauchbier.

Overall, it's pretty tasty, but the smoke really is a lot to handle. Be ready! (610 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

November 4, 2014

500 ml bottle, weizen glass

A – A very dark amber, not quite turning to brown, all the way through. Fairly clear, with some dark gold highlights. Mildly frothy, light tan head, low to moderate retention.

S – Smoked light wood, oak or beech. Some light hop bitterness. Otherwise pretty malty, a bit juicy. Smoke is really so prominent as to mask the rest.

T – Smoke, very mild, really more on the nose. Caramel, toffee, warm toasted bread, actually a lot of dark sugar-type sweetness. Some very mild to moderate bitterness, almost all on the finish. For all the sweetness, the smoke provides a nice counterbalance.

M – Low carbonation, a fairly juicy backbone, with a touch of dryness on the finish.

O – The smoke really defies the doppelbock category, but otherwise is a great example of the base style. Smoke is mild enough to allow its inclusion, but it’s a unique entry. Very good beer, seems to accomplish its intended goal very well. (985 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: [3.50] Mid to light amber color. Produced a nice 1 1/2 finger head. The head was creamy and tight. The head dissipated pretty quickly. The bottle had a bit of sediment - but I think that is expected for the style. Beer is listed at 8% ABV. No dating on the bottle.

S: [3.75] Smoke. More specifically bacon. There is a distinct charred hardwood (like what bacon is cured over). Maybe some other hints of sweetness and caramel underneath.

T: [4.25] The taste follows the nose - but it is reversed. I get caramel and malty sweetness up front and then the smoked wood on the finish. There are no hops (or none that I can taste). I get no sense of the 8% alcohol - it is well hidden.

M: [4.50] Nice mouthfeel. Nothing cloying or drying at all.

O: [4.00] I have had one other smoked beer, from Germany, and it was over the top. This one is nicely balanced with more malt character. I really enjoyed this one. Very crisp and refreshing. No sense of alcohol burn, no drying or bittering. I think you could session a few of these. (1,046 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From bottle into Maudite tulip glass.
Pours a gold - copper with modest head, significant bubbles on side of glass.
Aroma of liquid smoke, sour wheat, rye.
Moderate carbonation and mouthfeel.
Flavors of sweet malts and liquid smoke...slight notes of fennel, powdered sugar, Indian spices, floral and straw hops.
OK...so I'm an admitted fan of Schlenkerla even though the smoke is often off the charts (hint...age it 3 years and it'll smooth out, all their flavors mellow out wonderfully with age), and this one is as intriguing as the others, but different. As a doppelbock this is way smoky and flavor-wise bodacious, but also very drinkable to those that appreciate a good smoked brew. (688 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

Pour is a light clear amber with a quickly diminishing beige head. Little to no lacing. Malty aroma with a slightly medicinal smokiness. Taste is exceptional, especially considering dopplebock is not a favorite style. But Schlenkerla saves the day. There is just a tad of hop bitterness, and a wonderful smoke that tempers the malty sweetness. This is wonderful beer, whether you call it a rauchbier or a smokey dopplebock. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, carbonation light too. Alcohol never really makes itself known. On cold days like today, this could be dangerous. A fantastic winter treat for smoke fans. (603 characters)

Great in the glass at the Schlenkerla Tavern watching the tourists blunder about and great from the bottle in the USA poured int a snifter to enjoy! Recommended! (162 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

500 ml bottle that made its way back to me from Vegas. I poured this one into my perfect pint.

Appearance: A semi hazy amber with a short lived white rocky head. The head settled rather quickly.

Smell: Ah, here is where the beer comes alive. This beer is brewed with oak smoked malts. This beers smells of oak smoke. These remind me of Boston Baked beans from some reason, not that the beer smells of baked beans, mind you. Once you get past the camp fire smoke, I can also sense nice caramel malts.

Taste: Taste follows the smell largely. Smoke, some residual sweetness and alcohol, but no heat. I may be imagining things, but I also get a faint hint of ginger

Mouthfeel: Pretty easy going here, carbonation and body are seemingly right in the middle of the road.

Overall: I really liked smoked beers, and I do not get them very often. I am happy to have had the opportunity to try this one. I would get it again. (919 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -23%

A: Pours a clear amber, with a full finger of head. Retention is fair, lacing minimal.

S: Interesting. Fruity malt for sure, but a strong smell of smoke is thoroughly mixed in. I'm reminded of a sweet, smoked bacon.

T: Whoa, REALLY sweet! Then, after a moment, really bitter when the hops kick in. And nothing in between. The smokiness is there from start to finish, too, but in contrast to the smell, it plays second fiddle to the other flavors.

M: Good carbonation, though a bit astringent.

O: This was my first (and likely last) foray into Rauchbier.
That overwhelming sweetness just didn't do it for me. I am a big fan of smoky flavors in tea and scotch whiskey, so I was optimistic that I'd be a big fan, but I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed. (752 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a rich clear dark amber with a light head that rapidly fades to a thin layer, leaving good lacing.

S: The oak scent is present, but you can also pick up the biscuit malt and prunes of a good doppelbock.

T: As with the nose, the taste is mainly oak smoke, but there is a point, just past the center, where the doppelbock character really shows. The grain and prunes gives this beer elements of a Boy Scout campfire dessert. As the beer warms, the fruit becomes a bit more pronounced. (Perhaps as I become used to the smoke as well.)

M: Medium to full body with light but ample carbonation. The smoke effectively masks the abv.

D: For those of us who like Rauchbier, this is wonderful. I personally find the oak to be more mellow than the normal beech smoke from Bamberg. (782 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Color is a nice caramel color that's more brown than red. The head is a nice color and consistency, however there's only one finger (after a vigorous pour) that turned into a thin layer. Clarity is excellent and there's a little action from the carbonation.

S: Wow, this smells amazing! OK so there's smokiness (obviously) but it's not the only thing that I get from this. I also get something akin to apple and also dark fruits. I'm also able to get some caramel from the malts.

T: Man that's nice. The smoke is a little more subdued than their other releases (to me). But I'm getting some real depth that makes this beer very drinkable. I do get some of the caramel malt and dark fruits. They're followed by a really nice smoke flavor. I mean really nice. It puts something interesting in the mix without taking over the entire beer. So it reminds me of smoked meets. The beer is a little on the sweeter side but the finish is very clean.

M: Really smooth, medium body. Carbonation is slightly lower than I would like, I'd prefer a bit more to really make the beer perfectly clean.

O: Tasty beer... I'm always surprised by how much I love Schlenkerla's beers. They do amazing things with their smoked flavors. I'm going to now finish the last bit of my drink and enjoy every second. (1,292 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown, thin head and minimal lacing.

Smells of wood smoke, vanilla

Tastes like a doppelbock, sweet, caramel, vanilla and the perfect amount of smoked malt to give it that Rauchbier quality but still let the base style come through

Full bodies and light carbonation, nice chewy doppelbock

Overall a great doppelbock and smoked beer. Definitely recommend if you like this style. (396 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a somewhat murky amber with good cream colored head, retained well.

Aroma is bbq smoke, smoked meats, oak and a good dose of toffee. Smokehouse meets toffee factory. No discernible hop aromas. Really pleasant.

Sweet toffee & caramel with mild peppery spice and hints of vanilla work back into a building smoked meat character. Lasting finish. Low bitterness and soft mouthfeel. Just enough carbonation to reach the threshold for what this is, well done.

For what this is, they really hit the mark here. Beautiful meld of sweet toffee and caramel meets the aggressive smoke character. (593 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a 16 oz. glass goblet.
Pours a gorgeous, clear, dark amber color with a two-finger off-white head that doesn’t hang around too long. Some lacing left on the glass. The aroma of smoked ham and toasted bread with a grainy, earthiness to it. Smoky flavor up front, then the sweet caramel malts come forward. There is a nice earthy hop flavor and some dark fruity flavors that linger. A hint of alcohol in the finish. Definitely a dopplebock and the smoke flavor doesn’t cover it up. Nice balance. Medium body and a nice low level of carbonation, smooth and silky. Overall a very drinkable beer at 8% ABV, and a very good and unique version of the style. The oak-smoked malt is definitely more subtle than their beech-smoked offerings. I have to say this is my favorite from Aecht Schlenkerla; If you didn’t like smoked beers you’ve tried before, (I didn't) I would recommend trying this one. It is definitely unique. (954 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at the Gingerman, NYC into 12 oz tulip:

A: Medium-dark amber body with good head, cap and lacing.

S: Smoked salami, but not nearly as pungent as I expected. Quite mellowed out, showing some good floral hops and some other malts.

T: Again, the smoked salami is most apparent, but in time the surprisingly wonderful complement of apples develops. This makes me want to reconsider all things I ever thought about flavor pairings. Light hopping rounds it out.

M: Surprisingly moderate-to-full, and again, the smoke doesn't overwhelm in the unappealing expected way.

D: Wow. The flavors make no sense to me, but I love it anyway. The body is just right, and the 8% is undetectable. (688 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

Ah, my second Rauchbier from this brewery, here goes!

A - Pours a clear amber hue, with a mild off-white head, with little retention, but good lacing. Looks similar to a Marzen.

S - Woah! That unique rauchbier smell can be found here in all it's glory. Smell is of strong, smokey bacon bits and sausage, caramel malts, vanilla, and oak.

T - Not quite as brutally smokey as the smell initially suggests, but still pretty friggin tasty! Lots of smoked meat (bacon, sausage) flavor over a toasty caramel malt backbone, with hints of vanilla and oak. Viciously complex. You would think this stuff is actually made with meat/spices during the brewing process!

M - This beer is medium bodied, with mild carbonation, and a slick, creamy feel going down. Even though it's an 8% beer, it drinks more like a 6 or 6.5% one.

D - Pretty damn easy to quaff down for 8%, so it scores well here. Not to mention it's unique flavor profile.

Overall - A very good second shot at the Rauchbier style. Though overall I think I prefer the Urbock from this brewery, this beer has a more complex flavor profile, and I'm very glad I tried it. Recommended for die-hard fans of smokey flavors! (1,173 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle watching the Wichita State Shockers knock off (1) Gonzaga.

Purchased on recommendation of Matthew of Virginia Wine Warehaus in Charlottesville, VA fame. His admonition: don't let Beer Advocate hype strangle yr taste & instincts. Respect. Pours a nice amber. Pretty ho hum. No indication of the tidal wave of taste to come. Odor wafts up with soft smells of smoke. Where there's smoke there's FIRE. The taste is immediate: charred, smoked, burnt, formerly on fire. Swallowing doesn't erase the memory of the inferno. Years can't erase the memory. (553 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -15.9%

Into a Duvel tulip (no mugs were available, waaahhhh!!!), pours a white head atop a golden body. The head dies quickly, returning faintly upon agitation, if at all.

Aromas of blackened smoked malts, oak, apple, and hints of caramel. The smokey smells predominate, while the doppelbock characteristics do not.

Flavors of apple, bacon, applewood bacon, etc. Lots of malty sweetness up front and throughout, with a lot more smoke emerging on the finish. There's a lot going on here, but I will save my BIG issue for the summary...

Thin mouthfeel, insubstantial.

Overall, my problem with this is the seeming lack of integration between the doppelbock and the smoke. Imagine a room where the doppelbock is standing up against a wall on one side, the smoke standing on the other, and neither asks the other for a dance. So the two aspects never quite dovetail.

As I sip, *sniff*, and quaff, there are plenty of apple aromas, flavors of apple and bacon, yada yada, but the two remain elusive in terms of just coming the hell together.

As I continue sipping and the smoke clears (hahahahahahah!) this is ultimately a doppelbock that happens to be smoke-y. That's my initial impression, and upon reviewing additional Rauchbiers perhaps this impression will change. (1,265 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a semi-cloudy orange/copper with a thin white head, quickly deteriorating into an even thinner ring around the edge of the pint glass.

The aroma is intensely smokey. Like a campfire just beginning to heat large sappy logs. There is also a sweet malty smell, though much less pronounced than the smokiness.

The taste is like toasted biscuits, sweet molasses, with a slight hop bitterness, as well as the mesquite-like flavor of the oak smoke. No detectable alcohol notes, except for a slight warming sensation. Medium-full texture, prickly carbon dioxide release on the tongue. (586 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -38.6%

1 pint .9 oz bottle, poured into a mug at approximately 40 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden red, almost orange-tinted, and forms quite a thick pale beige head that leaves crazy amounts of lacing as it slowly recedes. Bubbles line the bottom of the glass, and rocket upwards sporadically rather than in columns.

Smell: Dark, dank smoke swirls out of the glass, redolent with scents that remind me of a pork shoulder going in my smoker on a spring afternoon. There's a sweetness underlying the smoke, like caramel. The smoke scent itself, while allegedly oak, reminds me more of burning a mix of peat and hickory.

Taste: Oh my, that is a smooth-drinking beverage. The taste opens with a sweet caramel malt that seems to have been aged in oak barrels, which is suddenly overtaken in the middle by the taste of fire-blackened pork still dripping with fat. As it progresses, the meaty essence gives way first to charred and ashy wood, and by the finish, to a peaty soot. While there are allegedly Hallertau hops present, I can find no hop character to this beer (which is a plus for me), beyond the slight earthy-peaty tone to some of the smoke. There is no indication at all that this contains alcohol, just sweetness and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and quite drinkable, this feels like silk along the palate.

Overall: My first encounter with a Schlenkerla, and assuredly not my last. I'd call this more of a rauchbier than a doppelbock, as the primary characteristic is the smoke - there's nowhere near the level of bready, toffee, caramel, nutty, or dark fruit flavors I would associate with a doppelbock, nor the sticky mouthfeel. I greatly enjoy this beer, but I am forced to rate it as a doppelbock because that's how it's classified, and therefore that's the style-specific ranking it will appear in. Were this lumped in as a rauchbier, use of oak instead of beech notwithstanding, my rating would be far higher - easily over a 4 in every category. (1,970 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla