Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Oak, smoked sausage, leather, tobacco. The smoke is what it is. I'm not the biggest fan, but I can appreciate that this beer is well done. The Doppelbock underneath is a bit too sweet and one-dimensional and cannot fully stand up to the smoke. Needs food to pair it with, something that's very big and savory, but not too sweet in itself.

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

8% ABV and $5.29/500ml bottle...

Pours a purty dense, syrupy-looking amber. Not much of a head forms, but the lacing is quite nice considering. When you pour this beer, it's like stepping into a medieval German home in Winter: it's like the vents are closed on the fireplace. It's smoky...SMOOOKY!!! That aroma is so robust and dominant you can't smell anything else. It's crushing. This must have been what that Franco kid smelled like - only Humboldtier...There are underpinnings of malt and such in there, but they are impossible to locate amdist the flames...

Flavor is also very smoky. It's tastes like when you leave your jacket to close to the fire around X-mas....You get home and the next day it smells like the fireplace. The initial busrt of flavor is very nice - a rich, malty Dopplebock. But it is immediately crushed by the Thor's Hammer of smoke. This beer finishes bitter from the smoke and what I can only assume are hops, and it's not awesome.

To liken this to a movie - I'd call it the "Up in Smoke" of beer. To liken it to a woman I'd call it the Snookie of beer - it's got only one trick and it's not even that great at it...

What I like most: The crazy unique flavor profile.

What I like least: The complete one dimensional nature of it.

Verdict: Too expensive to be worth it, and too unique to be an everyday beer. Really a novelty only.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Pours copper with a ring of white head around the glass. Leaves a small amount of lacing after each sip.

S: Smells like pulled pork braised in a doppelbock and smoked. Incredible aroma. Pure smoked, malty sweetness with bacon aromas somehow. The smoke just takes it over the top and really makes this beer something special.

T: Sweet and savory, with a fair amount of smoke. Barbeque is definitely a big flavor here. Some tobacco and an herbaceous flavor. Malt profile is strong, not too much on the bittering end which is nice.

M: Like opening a wood smoke grill and inhaling after taking a swig of doppelbock. Absolutely incredible.

O: Can't help but give this a 5 overall, simply blew any smoked beers I've had previously out of the water. At such a great price, I'll be sure to pick more of this up.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Reviewed 2/5/2011. 500 mL bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a nice cherry-mahogany color with gold highlights, topped by a smallish off-white head.

Nose is intriguing. The smoke is clear, but less strong and upfront as I remember from the other Schlenkerla beers. Meaty (bacon, ham), but more rounded. Smoke is smoke, but I think I can distinguish the oak wood specifically. Underneath clearly lies a rich malty beer: notes of dark fruit, candied nuts, toasted bread, earthy caramel, maybe a hint of cocoa.

On the palate this is certainly a doppelbock accented by oak and smoke, rather than a smoke beer with underlying doppelbock notes. Rich and malty and smooth, with just enough smoke to prevent it from being heavy and cloying. As a less-than-enthusiastic doppelbock drinker, I'm happy with this. Oak flavor comes through, but less strongly than in an oak-aged beer; more wood and less vanilla and caramel, etc. A good bit of dark fruit on the finish.

Quite full bodied, but not heavy. Nice rounded mouthfeel, but mostly firm. A nice change of pace.

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

WOW This is a great beer!!!

App: Darkish brown like most doppelbocks that I've seen imported to the usa. I don't know what the previous reviewer had, but this is definitely not light colored. The head sticks around and is an off white color, very light and fluffy.

Smell: Roasted meat... it reminded me of the roast boar I had a few days ago, except with better caramelization and a great smokiness with a subtle hint of chocolate.

Taste: The flavor integrates all of the aspects of the aroma while also adding a biscuity undertone. The smokey caramel flavors fill the mouth, making all other flavors secondary and supportive. It reminds me of eating a great piece of pork, slow cooked over an open fire.

Mouthfeel: The smokiness takes over, much the same way that it does in an alaskan smoked porter. It held all of my attention, with a nice clean bitterness at the end that doesn't overpower or take away from any of the nuances of the brew. It's smooth on the palate with no noticeable alcohol... I was flabergasted to see that this is an 8% brew.

Drinkability: Easily the most drinkable rauchbier I've ever had, and most drinkable doppelbock I've ever had. I could sit in front of a fire and drink myself straight to the abyss with this, never realizing it until the wee hours of the morning when I try to stand.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

No freshness date. Poured into my Eiche balloon glass. My really vigorous pour resulted in a very sudsy cream colored head, though no larger than a finger high. It recedes fairly quickly after a minute or two and leaves the beautiful ruby-colored beer bare on top. The clarity is decent, but kind of hazed. Honestly would love to give this beer a higher score for appearance just because the color is so spectacular, but 8% ABV isn't high enough to account for a missing head in my opinion.

It comes as no surprise that this Bamburg beer shows off a heaping smoke aroma. Very nice smoked malts that are not overly aggressive and still allow the rich malt aroma to shine through in the background. Notes of autumn leaves on fire, sweet sherry and plum skins.

Really great tasting beer! The smoked malts are delicate and far from over-bearing. They lend a meatiness to the sweet malt flavor, which is lightly balanced by Hallertau hops in the backend. Also, the smoke really shows up in the exhale and aftertaste. It lends a "woodiness" to the flavor that I really dig and it reminds me of a great scotch.

The beer has very modest carbonation and by the end of the glass it feels flat. The gentle carbonation does give the beer a much softer impression, which the medium body helps contribute to, and I will say that this does not seem like a beer that clocks in at 8% ABV!

This smoked doppelbock is superbly balanced. There is no denying the smoked malt here, but it is so controlled and it lets the rich malt sweetness shine through, which brings its own character to the table as well. I would revisit this beer anytime. Very good, and I easily downed that 500mL bottle by myself.

3.89/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

November 4, 2014

500 ml bottle, weizen glass

A – A very dark amber, not quite turning to brown, all the way through. Fairly clear, with some dark gold highlights. Mildly frothy, light tan head, low to moderate retention.

S – Smoked light wood, oak or beech. Some light hop bitterness. Otherwise pretty malty, a bit juicy. Smoke is really so prominent as to mask the rest.

T – Smoke, very mild, really more on the nose. Caramel, toffee, warm toasted bread, actually a lot of dark sugar-type sweetness. Some very mild to moderate bitterness, almost all on the finish. For all the sweetness, the smoke provides a nice counterbalance.

M – Low carbonation, a fairly juicy backbone, with a touch of dryness on the finish.

O – The smoke really defies the doppelbock category, but otherwise is a great example of the base style. Smoke is mild enough to allow its inclusion, but it’s a unique entry. Very good beer, seems to accomplish its intended goal very well.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

5.49 for just over a pint.

Pours a dark copper amber with a nice ecru head that recedes with spotty lacing. The smell is a strong delicious smoke atop the sweet doppelbock base. I smell the malt through Schlenkerla's signature smoke. Any hop bitterness flavor or aroma is hidden but it's solid malt and smoke.

This beer is delicious, if the rating doesn't sell you on it, then you're stupid. Just try the beer.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 500mL bottle into a mug.

A: Dark amber body, perfectly clear. Head is tight, retention is good.

S: Oh my, what a smoky aroma. Smoke blends with malty lager in the background.

T: Not as much smoke in the flavor as I thought up front, but it does become more apparent as the beer warms. It also creeps back on the finish. Smoke is carried by a nice clean lager profile.

M: Nice medium body, with good carbonation. No complaints.

D: This beer probably has the perfect amount of smoke. Often I find the smokiness of rauchbier to be too subtle, getting lost after a few sips. This beer keeps reminding me, in a good way.

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 500 mL. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A vigorous pour yields a 2 1/2-finger cream-colored head that slowly settles to. The body is a hazy orange honey color with a slow flow of tiny carbonation bubbles meandering to the surface. The body is rather light in color for the style. Thin lacing attempts to stick to the sides of the glass throughout consumption.

I have opened bags of beef jerkey that smelled more bland than this. Was this beer brewed with bacon grease? The smokiness is incredible and extremely overpowering of the other aromas attempting to come through.

The flavor, while matching up perfectly with the aroma, is a little weak comparatively. The smokiness and the meatiness are both there, but in a creamier way. This allows for the sweet, caramelized malts to come through a little.

Medium bodied with good carbonation, this beer is a little watery in my opinion. While the body is great as you hold it in your mouth, it is swallowed like a heavy water and leaves little coating. A stickier mouthfeel would have helped this beer's flavor profile immensely.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

A truly outstanding beer. Who could say no to an Eiche smoked Doppelbock.

I certainly could not so I had several pints at the Rake and I bought ALL 12 bottles from the store which are surprisingly good value at 3.50 a go.

The beer is nothing like the standard Schlenkerla rang and is not as punchy in its smokeyness but works on a lot more different levels. FANTASTIC.

4.74/5  rDev +16.5%

500 ml with best before date June 2011 into Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche glass. Pours amber to deep coppery body with reddish hue and good clarity, topped by medium beige dense head with good retention, that clings to the walls.
Aroma is a pleasant balance between malty sweetness and non-harsh, smooth wood &, bacon-like smokiness obtained by oak-wood kilned malt.The smoky curtain is delicate enough to transmit the Doppelbock characteristics of the base beer underneath: rich malty sweetness with significant melanoidins and touch of plum and grape-like fruitiness.
The flavor is campfire and bacon-like smokiness which interplays with malty sweetness. The malts exhibit melanoidin qualities accompanied by notes of dark chocolate. Towards the finish emerges peppery spiciness (probably originating from the Hallertau hops used) with moderate hoppy bitterness. No inappropriate harsh, burnt or charred flavors. The finish is semisweet although the smoke reduces the Doppelbock sweetness to some degree by adding some dryness. Medium to full boded with soft carbonation and unbelievable drinkability for a beer of this type, partially thanks to smooth and complex yet not overpowering smoky character.

In short: A fantastic smoked Doppelbock with perfect balance between the smoke and base beer, reflecting the character of both.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

I know that I am Biased, I LOVE smoked Beer! Schlenkerla Urbock is one of my favorite all time beers, so i was excited to try this one. Pours a dark but translucent brown with a medium head. Lots of Wood, some meaty goodness and tons of smoke in the nose, I love the way these beers smell and this was no exception. Tasted of wood and smoke as well as bacon but not as intense as the smell. a slight sweetness marries with the smoke perfectly and goes beautifully with food (smoked German Sausage in this lucky mans case!) Smooth and rich on the palate but also light and fluffy as it does not leave any intense flavors in the mouth. Over all a great beer that I will have again but may not love as much as the Urbock.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Light brown color, unexpectedly light compared to most Doppelbocks. Smells like delicious oak smoke, and not much else. Tastes like a freshly scorched 2x4.

I'm enjoying this one to a certain extent, but I"m not entirely sure that if the smoke were gone, I'd still enjoy the beer underneath it. If it's smoke you really like, or if you're just in the mood for something different, this might be the one for you.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at Prime 16 in New Haven. Never heard of the brewery before. On tap list as "Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Oak Smoke." Review from notes.

The beer was served in a tulip. Crystal clear reddish amber with a big, puffy white head. Not much retention or lacing. The smell is big smoke, with a little bit of sweet malt. Not terribly complicated but good.

The taste isn't what I was expecting. I now see that the style is a Doppelbock but I didn't know that at the time. A scotch-y smokiness is prominent throughout, but there's also a fantastic deep toffee malt sweetness. The combination of smoke and sweetness is fabulous, and a new experience for me. Smoked doppelbocks -- who new? The overall effect is somehow meaty. Ham? Mouthfeel is slick, very low carbonation, and I can't detect any alcohol presence.

This is one of the more interesting beers I've tried in some time. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and the smoked doppelbock is something I'll definitely keep my eyes open for from now on.

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

pours lighter than I expected, but it's a nice amber with a big head, though that may be a function of the bottle neck. The smell is smoke, and a ton of it, with some meat. The smoke is by far the dominating and overpowering flavor, but I do get some pork and there is a bit of sweet malt, too. It's like liquid bacon. Goes down quite easily, and there is no hint of the 8% ABV.

This is unlike any doppelbock I've had. So if you think you'll be getting something like Celebrator or Salvator, you're not. It is firmly a Rauchbier.

Overall, it's pretty tasty, but the smoke really is a lot to handle. Be ready!

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From bottle into Maudite tulip glass.
Pours a gold - copper with modest head, significant bubbles on side of glass.
Aroma of liquid smoke, sour wheat, rye.
Moderate carbonation and mouthfeel.
Flavors of sweet malts and liquid smoke...slight notes of fennel, powdered sugar, Indian spices, floral and straw hops.
OK...so I'm an admitted fan of Schlenkerla even though the smoke is often off the charts (hint...age it 3 years and it'll smooth out, all their flavors mellow out wonderfully with age), and this one is as intriguing as the others, but different. As a doppelbock this is way smoky and flavor-wise bodacious, but also very drinkable to those that appreciate a good smoked brew.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Pour is a light clear amber with a quickly diminishing beige head. Little to no lacing. Malty aroma with a slightly medicinal smokiness. Taste is exceptional, especially considering dopplebock is not a favorite style. But Schlenkerla saves the day. There is just a tad of hop bitterness, and a wonderful smoke that tempers the malty sweetness. This is wonderful beer, whether you call it a rauchbier or a smokey dopplebock. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, carbonation light too. Alcohol never really makes itself known. On cold days like today, this could be dangerous. A fantastic winter treat for smoke fans.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

500 ml bottle that made its way back to me from Vegas. I poured this one into my perfect pint.

Appearance: A semi hazy amber with a short lived white rocky head. The head settled rather quickly.

Smell: Ah, here is where the beer comes alive. This beer is brewed with oak smoked malts. This beers smells of oak smoke. These remind me of Boston Baked beans from some reason, not that the beer smells of baked beans, mind you. Once you get past the camp fire smoke, I can also sense nice caramel malts.

Taste: Taste follows the smell largely. Smoke, some residual sweetness and alcohol, but no heat. I may be imagining things, but I also get a faint hint of ginger

Mouthfeel: Pretty easy going here, carbonation and body are seemingly right in the middle of the road.

Overall: I really liked smoked beers, and I do not get them very often. I am happy to have had the opportunity to try this one. I would get it again.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Pours a clear amber, with a full finger of head. Retention is fair, lacing minimal.

S: Interesting. Fruity malt for sure, but a strong smell of smoke is thoroughly mixed in. I'm reminded of a sweet, smoked bacon.

T: Whoa, REALLY sweet! Then, after a moment, really bitter when the hops kick in. And nothing in between. The smokiness is there from start to finish, too, but in contrast to the smell, it plays second fiddle to the other flavors.

M: Good carbonation, though a bit astringent.

O: This was my first (and likely last) foray into Rauchbier.
That overwhelming sweetness just didn't do it for me. I am a big fan of smoky flavors in tea and scotch whiskey, so I was optimistic that I'd be a big fan, but I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown, thin head and minimal lacing.

Smells of wood smoke, vanilla

Tastes like a doppelbock, sweet, caramel, vanilla and the perfect amount of smoked malt to give it that Rauchbier quality but still let the base style come through

Full bodies and light carbonation, nice chewy doppelbock

Overall a great doppelbock and smoked beer. Definitely recommend if you like this style.

4.07/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a rich clear dark amber with a light head that rapidly fades to a thin layer, leaving good lacing.

S: The oak scent is present, but you can also pick up the biscuit malt and prunes of a good doppelbock.

T: As with the nose, the taste is mainly oak smoke, but there is a point, just past the center, where the doppelbock character really shows. The grain and prunes gives this beer elements of a Boy Scout campfire dessert. As the beer warms, the fruit becomes a bit more pronounced. (Perhaps as I become used to the smoke as well.)

M: Medium to full body with light but ample carbonation. The smoke effectively masks the abv.

D: For those of us who like Rauchbier, this is wonderful. I personally find the oak to be more mellow than the normal beech smoke from Bamberg.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Color is a nice caramel color that's more brown than red. The head is a nice color and consistency, however there's only one finger (after a vigorous pour) that turned into a thin layer. Clarity is excellent and there's a little action from the carbonation.

S: Wow, this smells amazing! OK so there's smokiness (obviously) but it's not the only thing that I get from this. I also get something akin to apple and also dark fruits. I'm also able to get some caramel from the malts.

T: Man that's nice. The smoke is a little more subdued than their other releases (to me). But I'm getting some real depth that makes this beer very drinkable. I do get some of the caramel malt and dark fruits. They're followed by a really nice smoke flavor. I mean really nice. It puts something interesting in the mix without taking over the entire beer. So it reminds me of smoked meets. The beer is a little on the sweeter side but the finish is very clean.

M: Really smooth, medium body. Carbonation is slightly lower than I would like, I'd prefer a bit more to really make the beer perfectly clean.

O: Tasty beer... I'm always surprised by how much I love Schlenkerla's beers. They do amazing things with their smoked flavors. I'm going to now finish the last bit of my drink and enjoy every second.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a somewhat murky amber with good cream colored head, retained well.

Aroma is bbq smoke, smoked meats, oak and a good dose of toffee. Smokehouse meets toffee factory. No discernible hop aromas. Really pleasant.

Sweet toffee & caramel with mild peppery spice and hints of vanilla work back into a building smoked meat character. Lasting finish. Low bitterness and soft mouthfeel. Just enough carbonation to reach the threshold for what this is, well done.

For what this is, they really hit the mark here. Beautiful meld of sweet toffee and caramel meets the aggressive smoke character.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a 16 oz. glass goblet.
Pours a gorgeous, clear, dark amber color with a two-finger off-white head that doesn’t hang around too long. Some lacing left on the glass. The aroma of smoked ham and toasted bread with a grainy, earthiness to it. Smoky flavor up front, then the sweet caramel malts come forward. There is a nice earthy hop flavor and some dark fruity flavors that linger. A hint of alcohol in the finish. Definitely a dopplebock and the smoke flavor doesn’t cover it up. Nice balance. Medium body and a nice low level of carbonation, smooth and silky. Overall a very drinkable beer at 8% ABV, and a very good and unique version of the style. The oak-smoked malt is definitely more subtle than their beech-smoked offerings. I have to say this is my favorite from Aecht Schlenkerla; If you didn’t like smoked beers you’ve tried before, (I didn't) I would recommend trying this one. It is definitely unique.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla