Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-13-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

UncleJimbo

11-14-2011 19:40:33 | More by UncleJimbo
bbeerman

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

A.. Light amber/dark golden color. Looks lighter than it is, but doesn't make me think Dopplebock when I see it. No head/lace.

S.. Beautiful smokey and oak scent; perfect for cold weather sessions.

T.. This beer is wonderful. My wife was sure she tasted bacon in the first sips. The back end taste is incredible; flavors of smokey oats and "meat" around present, though I doubt meat is used to brew. Would be great with any winter meal or fire side.

M.. The roasted malts are there as in any good Dopplebock, but I did find this offering of the style a bit lighter than expected. Not bad at all, but a little softer than a Salvator or Sam Adams Doublebock.

O.. Great beer. Expensive ($5+/16oz. bottle), but well worth the experience. Look forward to having again.

11-14-2011 03:23:51 | More by bbeerman
ao125

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

At first sniff, it was like I was about to drink a glass of bacon. Not faux-Bacos as many low-end rauschbiers often are... but honest to god bacon. Once you get through the scent, there is a wonderfully salty and sweet beer underneath, that makes you want to keep drinking.

I had this along side hot pretzles.

So good.

11-13-2011 14:25:02 | More by ao125
Philousa

2.58/5  rDev -36.1%

Pours a golden orange, almost amber color, opaque with nearly no head retention. Then again, my fridge stays a bit colder than I'd like it to for the beer's sake due to the missus. The first thing I got in the nose was paste. Reminded me of kindergarten. Then I started thinking in terms of smoke and I realized it was just smokiness, like from a campfire. Some alcohol sting, and sweet, tart malt are in there too. No yeast or hops to speak of in the nose (or taste, for that matter). Sweet amber malt hits the tongue first, then super smoky flavors take over. I get some sweet nutiness in the finish but bitter smoke remains on the palate. A bit thick mouthfeel. Smooth, wet finish.

Sorry, but I just couldn't get paste out of my mind and that definitely affected my feelings of this beer. Although I had a bad reaction to the smell, the taste wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it was interesting to say the least. I'm surprised this came from Germany. If I had to guess without knowing who made it, I'd have said Rogue because of the super strong smokiness. I appreciate what they are trying to do. I just wish I had it with some barbeque, as I think it would make a great pairing. Gotta give it to them for hiding the 8% so well, too. I wouldn't necessarily buy it again, but it was an interesting experience.

11-13-2011 00:43:28 | More by Philousa
rangerred

Tennessee

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle.

Pours a slightly hazy orangy copper with a thin wispy head.

The smell is lots of smoke. Smells like a bonfire with really no other smell being apparent. I love it!

The taste is extremely smoke-forward followed by an assertive bitterness that increases toward the finish. The smoke seems more pronounced and forceful in this beer compared to the others from Schlenkera. Very nice.

I love smoke beers and I have to say that the ones from Schlenkera are probably the best examples made. Just perfect for a fall evening.

11-09-2011 01:03:28 | More by rangerred
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

500ml bottle into a tulip, purchased at Premier Gourmet.

Pours a rusty orange brown, with a nice dense cap of just off-white head. Creamy and thick retention, solid lacing. Some floaties in the body, there was a bunch of yeast at the bottom of the bottle that I only poured a portion of into the glass. Nose is typical Schlenkerla smoke, campfire and charcoal with some caramel and leathery notes. Taste is sublime, loads of caramel, dark fruits and sweet malts. Smoke is direct, and of greater intensity than the nose but doesn't stay on the palate for long. Smoke reappears in the finish, and there only a slight unpleasant bitterness/dryness that sets this back from perfection. Mouthfeel is medium heavy, carbonation is a magnificent medium low. Wow. Did not expect to be this blow away opening this on a Tuesday evening. Exceptional, and I can only imagine this being just a tad closer to perfection on cask in Bamberg. Brilliant and God do I love smoked beers...

10-26-2011 01:12:48 | More by liamt07
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at Macadoodles in Springdale, AR

Pours copper with 3+ fingers of tan head. Above average lacing & scant head retention

S: Charred, smokey oak, hints of juicy fruit& the smell of wet leaves being burned

T: Rich brown bread with much smokeyness, some hints of cherry bubble gum up front. Rich sweet doughy notes as this warms, along with some woody hops & nice smokeyness that doesn't over power & some brown sugar sweetness/dryness as well

MF: Rich, chewy with low carbonation

Very nice dopple that screams Bamberg

10-24-2011 13:36:58 | More by russpowell
Skarod

Maine

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

poured in Sam Adams glass.

Brilliant amber color with only a little bit of head
Definite burnt smokey smell almost like ash but not unpleasant.

very smokey taste more then I'm used to even with beers that call themselves "smokey". slight alcohol taste on the front of mouth and slight oak. Almost no taste on the back.
Thick feel on the mouth and not much carbonation.

Overall not too bad but not amazing.
I dont think I would buy it again but glad I tried it

10-18-2011 21:57:58 | More by Skarod
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

500ml bottle 8,0% abv.
Served chilled in a tulip wine glass.

My first proper rauchbier - I'm looking forward to this.

Appearance: Russet brown body with a good sized off white head that lasts acceptably but doesn't leave much lace. A back light reveals beautiful deep crimson highlights and golden edges.
There are quite a few particles in suspension.

Smell: Oh wow! I knew there would be a ton of smoke in this compared to my locals' rauchbier, but I had no idea it would be like this.
This smells just like an eisbein or wood smoked bacon! It takes about 10 minutes for me to get used to the 'pork' smell and appreciate some of the underlying aromas. Oak chips (like the ones I use to smoke trout), sweet caramel malt, red fruits (sweet red apple), some molasses and a light floral note are all present.

Taste: As with the nose, the initial flavor is all smoked pork! It almost seems as if I am eating a heavily smoked eisbein!
Warming brings out more of the base doppelbock flavours – fairly sweet caramel malt, molasses and red fruits. The finish is lightly bitter and drying with some herbal hop character noted.
Perfect abv. cover-up.

Mouthfeel: Just fuller than medium bodied, slightly oily, medium carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: Amazing beer! I was really overwhelmed by just how smokey this was. I will most certainly be having more beers from this brewery!

10-17-2011 06:06:51 | More by Thehuntmaster
kojevergas

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

1 pint .9 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I was at this brewery when I getting my beer diploma in Bamberg and their Marzen was excellent.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice slight cream, good thickness, and good retention (considering the high ABV). Colour is a hazy copper. Appealing.

Sm: Smoke, bacon, roast, cream, vanilla, and light wooden notes (I wouldn't go so far as to commit to oak). Moderate strength.

T: Restrained smoke comes through, but surfaces primarily on the climax. The foundation is a wooden barley one. Copper marzen hops (I can't distinguish which) are present as well, but the alcohol doesn't come through. It's very pleasant. It's built well but I wouldn't call it complex. Against my expectations, it's actually lighter bodied than their Marzen. Very well balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Pretty thick and filling, however.

Dr: Actually very drinkable, and not just for the ABV. It's more drinkable than their Marzen, which I didn't expect. A good quality beer, its only flaw its simplicity. In the style, I believe it's among the best I've had.

10-07-2011 06:44:48 | More by kojevergas
illidurit

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

500 mL bottle poured into a dimpled Eichhof mug. Tips the scales at no darker than bronze, with a solid khaki head. Luscious smokey aroma, recalling smoldering bonfires and smoked cheese especially. Not quite as meaty as the other Schlenkerla offerings. Flavor is smooth and salty, plenty of ham/bacon notes, wood, black coffee, fire. An excellent smoked beer, full and nourishing on the palate.

10-06-2011 08:36:48 | More by illidurit
Zorro

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear amber to orange colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smell is strongly smoked with a equally strong medicine scent. Smells more like ham than bacon. Mildly sweet smelling with some vanilla in it.

Starts out sweet with a rather nice smoky flavor, something here tastes like apple. Sweetness tones down quite a bit after a few minutes. Bitterness kicks in after a while but this is a sweet smoke beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a very pleasant Rauchbier, not sure why this one is filed as a Doppelbock instead.

10-02-2011 01:08:53 | More by Zorro
flannelman808

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Amber in color and pretty clear. This one has a just off white head which does not build up very much but has ok retention... lacing is better than ok.

S: When I opened the bottle I got an immediate skunky (clear bottle) heineken aroma. Up close it's pretty much gone. In place the bouquet has smoke and lots of it. Fried bacon and campfire.

T: Coming up a bit flat I wonder if this has suffered from light pollution. Just the same there is a smokey presence which does not smash the palate. Sweet biscuit and subtle (but present) smokey bacon jam. The finish is just north of sweet.

M: Lighter than I would have anticipated but still pretty sticky.

O: This is a disappointing one for me and I do wonder if its been subject to the elements. I would go to their Urbock over this beer any day of the week. It seems to carry few things which I associate with its doppelbock style.

09-30-2011 03:15:15 | More by flannelman808
twiggamortis420

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

500 mL bottle pours a slightly hazed amber color with an ample off-white head. Fine-bubbled and long lasting. Nice...real nice.

Nose goes beyond bacon...lets go with whole smoked ham...double smoked! More smoky than the Ur-bock, which I did not think was possible. Not much else is noticeable, but thats ok for us smokeheads.

So smooth, yet so intense. Liquid smoke meets sweet malts and a kiss of alcohol. Body is light and I think that helps not make it too heavy-feeling of a brew. Pretty amazing brew and after a couple Schlenkerla brews that were not as smoky as Ur-bock, this one is damn smoky and enjoyable. Love it.

09-29-2011 23:46:47 | More by twiggamortis420
UCLABrewN84

Pours a murky light brown with a 1 inch foamy off-white head that settles to a thin film. There is really no lacing on this one though. Smell is obviously of smoked cheese, smoked meat, smoked wood, campfire smoke, etc. Taste is of the same but it's not as potent as other Aecht Schlenkerla beers with the smoke flavors. This is actually very pleasant, especially since I love smoked meat and cheese. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly thick mouthfeel (can the smoke do this?). Overall, this is a good beer that is much tamer than the other rauchbier I have had from this brewery.

09-29-2011 05:54:57 | More by UCLABrewN84
GbVDave

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into two small pint glasses. Thanks to Steve for the hook-up and the assist!

A: Pours a lovely dark tarnished copper color. Relatively clear with a thin layer of khaki colored foam on top. Retention was just ok and not too much lace was left behind.

S: Holy crap! Unbelievably rich smoky aromas. Smokehouse ham, smoked cheeses, and damp campfire wood smoke. Like a smoky charcuterie plate was shoved into my glass.

T: Slightly subdued compared to the smell. Takes on a slightly sweet edge as it warms up to temp.

M: Rather raw and spicy with a creeping bit of sweetness towards the finish. Incredibly savory and quite chewy.

O: Don't know how much of this I could drink in a night, but one or two glasses of this are a game changer. Steve and I were lucky enough to have tried this on draft a couple times earlier this year and I was thrilled when he brought this guy over.

09-25-2011 18:57:22 | More by GbVDave
bluejacket74

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

16.9 ounce (500 ml) bottle. Served in a mug, the beer pours a somewhat hazy dark golden/amber color with about a half inch off-white head. The head sticks around for a little while, but there isn't much lacing at all. Aroma is very smoky, the brew smells mostly like smoked meat, along with a bit of bready malt. I just love the smoky, meaty aroma of this brew! The beer tastes like smoked meat, bready malt and a little bit of caramel. There's also a nice lingering smoky finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating and has moderate carbonation. I think it's a pretty good overall brew. For just $4.99 a bottle, I'd definitely buy this again. It's certainly one of the better (if not the best) smoked beers I've had.

09-23-2011 22:49:51 | More by bluejacket74
wcintula

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

5.49 for just over a pint.

Pours a dark copper amber with a nice ecru head that recedes with spotty lacing. The smell is a strong delicious smoke atop the sweet doppelbock base. I smell the malt through Schlenkerla's signature smoke. Any hop bitterness flavor or aroma is hidden but it's solid malt and smoke.

This beer is delicious, if the rating doesn't sell you on it, then you're stupid. Just try the beer.

09-23-2011 00:20:30 | More by wcintula