Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 735 | Reviews: 367
4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

Hazy amber with an off white 2 finger head which slowly fades to 1/2 finger. Leaves spotty lacing. The aroma has smoked malt, and smells like smoked ham or bacon. Smells sweet, some caramel present.

The flavor is sweet and smoky. Much like smoked bacon or ham. Some caramel flavor is also present. No real hop presence at all, which is okay for this type of beer. Very nice.

Better than medium bodied, smooth, with slightly below average carbonation. Easy to drink. Leaves a sweet and smoky aftertaste. A nice beer, which I would gladly buy again.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

I was really excited when I came across this beer at my local shop. I thought that I had tried all the different ones they had until I was proven wrong. The beer poured out as a dark brown color. The head was big at first but quickly settles and almost fades completely. The smell of the beer is smokey but it seems like it was a tolerable aroma than their others. The taste of the beer is loaded with smokey malts and some fresh wood in the background. The mouthfeel is drinkable and not really heavy at all. Overall this beer was probably one of the better ones I've had from Aecht.

2.7/5  rDev -33%

Appearance: (3.0)
- Pours a rather clear copper. Perhaps a bit darker than a new copper penny. After seeing that it didn't have much carbonation, I immediately started a heavy pour into the glass. Perhaps a touch of off-white fizzy head appeared, but it quickly settled to the smallest half-ring, and some very small traces of bubbles on top.

Smell: (3.0)
- Big smoke. Wonderful woody smoke, salty smoke, light grain and sweetness. Like that smell that sticks with you if you hung out by a fire burning old pallets all night. Very woody smoked scent. It is pretty much all that dominates this beer. While it smells very good, I feel the smoke dominates the smell much too much.

Taste: (2.5)
- Huge smokey salty woody flavor, but I think the aroma might twist what one would think the true flavor is. Light grain, slighty wheaty flavor. Small touch of caramel. Bit earthy, burnt, sweet.. not much hop. Overall very smokey, and interesting... but really isn't overly good.

Mouth Feel: (3.0)
- It's basically medium bodied, slightly syrupy, but lacks a good amount of carbonation. I feel it is kind of flat, and does wet the palate a bit because of its pallet burning presence. Eh..

Overall: (2.5)
- If you like burned wood, and massive smokey character.. this beer is for you. I feel it is way undercarbonated, may have a decent malt backbone, but is just not hitting high marks with me. I like some good smoked oak etc, age, and unique character.. but holy smokes..

A smoked Doppelbock huh? I sampled this one the other day at my local Whole Foods and wanted a healthier taste of this brew.

A: Usually I peg Doppels as being dark, blood red. However, this one was different indeed. Almost clear, orange-grey color, with a nice slight off-white head after a hard pour.

S: Bacon for sure, but it had the sweetness of a Doppel, which gave it sort of an applewood sort of scent.

T: I like this style in this setting. I'm usually not a fan of Doppelbocks because of the concentrated, in-your-face, beet sugar type of sweetness. The smoked concept really mutes that, making this much more palatable.

M: Low carbonation, not overly sweet as a result of the oak smoking, and the lacing was non-existent.

O: Interesting and quite good. Still, I wouldn't drink this every day, but I'd have it again... especially if I'm ever in the mood for a Doppelbock.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours out bright copper and sits a light brown in the glass with a a good sized, creamy, off-white head, fading to a light skim with some fair lacings.

Bright smoky aroma, almost peat-like in that it protrudes with some tang. Caramel and toffee below, figs, raisins, and dates mingle as well.

Lightly sweet malty character in the mouth, pushing forth a torrent of smoky goodness. Peat-like flavors definitely come through, though this is certainly due to the oak. It is reminiscent in character to some well-aged rye whiskeys, and brings about some vegetal qualities. Sharply defined hops presence with booming grassy noble hops character. Fades fairly to a low after-burn, noting some alcohol, and the smokiness continues to flourish.

Delightlfully effervescent in the mouth with a medium-light body. Definitely a rock-solid smoked beer, and probably one of the more dominantly defined beers from Schlenkerla. Packs a one-two punch of both smoke and hops while maintaining a clever balance with some truly delicious malts.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

16.9 oz bottle ($4.59 at Maine Brewing Supply in Portland, ME) poured into tumbler.

A: Pours a mostly translucent amber with marmalade highlights. Highly effervescent 2-finger head settles fast and leaves little to no lacing on the glass.

S: I'm fighting to smell anything but smoke in this. Immediately brings to mind smoked cheese. Interesting, if not too much.

T: As expected, smoke overwhelms the flavor profile, but dies down just enough for the sweet and clean doppelbock flavors to shine. Skunky hops lend this beer a pleasantly bitter finish, and offset the smoke nicely.

M: Carbonation is moderate; body is low. Fits the style, I suppose.

O: I tried to rate this to style, but in the end I think it comes down to the fact that I'm truly not a fan of smoked beers. I've tried their marzen (which some people rave over) and ended up pouring it down the drain. This is far more drinkable, although I'm not sure "subtle" could ever serve as a good word to describe any of the Heller-Trum beers. If you're into smoked beers, this one won't disappoint, but it may not convert you if you aren't.

No doubt a well-crafted smoked beer.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche
Doppelbock Schlenkerla Oak Smoke
$5.49 at Whole Foods, union Square, NY

Appearance: The body is a deep amber with an orange cast, and almost borders on becoming russet brown. Creamy khaki head. Surprisingly good head retention for a strong rauchbier; and with better than average lacing.

Smell: Smoke. I'm not sure that I can tell the difference between the oak and their standard Beechwood but this is a little less bacon-like if I'm not imagining it. It's more refined. I don't get that 'campfire on my shirt the morning after' scent that I usually do. I can also find hints of caramelish malt but the smoke rarely lets it through.

Taste: Again, smoke, but it's immediately backed by a supple, bready and caramel coated maltiness. There aren't many hops present, but I do find a light touch of floral character and a bit of a dull mintiness that turns grassy in the finish. Not much bitterness is present, but not much is needed as the smokiness lends to the dryness in the lingering finish. In comparison to the other beers, the smoke here fades on the palate fairly readily. It's strong upfront, and always present, but it doesn't build on you as it does in their other beers; and perhaps that's the oak rather than the beechwood, or maybe it's the increased malt and alcohol, but as I let it linger on my palate I'd certainly lean more towards the use of oak as the malt doesn't really have any staying power.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth with a gentle caress of tiny bubbles across the palate.

Overall: For a lover of rauchbier such as myself, a 16.9 oz. bottle is too small. Two would be better. Well worth seeking out!

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a cloudy amber-orange with a weak 1/2-finger offwhite head. Retention and lacing are minimal.

The nose is malty sweet and smoky with a character that brings to mind Thanksgiving or Easter dinner- aromas of smoked ham, baked apples, white pepper and toasted bread crust. Is it my imagination or can I smell the sweet potatoes too?

The palate is rich, smoky sweet and dives right back into the ham vibe, though adding a nice spicy dusting of candied orange to the whole presentation. Hops are minimal with a mild bitterness, while the finish is long, dry and very mouthwatering.

Overall, this was a rather delicious and well balanced Rauch. Personally ham is one of my least favorite meats of the pork persuasion, so I probably won't be buying this again. I can't knock it for that though, and the dryer finish gives this one a few extra points.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

A - This beer pours a nice clear orange copper color. It has a nice 2-finger white head on it. The head has decent retention, and it leaves behind some specs of lace.

S - It smells meaty and smokey up front. There is also a grassy earthiness to it and also some notes of sweet malt tucked away in the background.

T - In the taste the smoke takes the backseat a bit and the sweet caramel malts come forward. There is a nice earthy hop flavor and some dark fruity flavors. Also, I am getting a hint of alcohol on the back end as well as a bit more of the smoke.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a very smooth silky quality to it. There is some sweetness and a bit of bitterness from the hops. Also, there is some alcohol warmth in the finish.

O - This is a very drinkable beer. It goes down very easy, and the flavor is great. I could easily drink a few of these over the course of a night. Overall, I think this is a very good and unique version of the style. I really like how the nose has a nice big smoke presence, but it tones down in the actual flavor of the beer. I think this is great beer, and I would definitely buy it again. I recommend giving it a shot.

4.51/5  rDev +11.9%

Looks like a Brown Ale in color, very foamy head but no lacing at all. And the head lasts only a minute or two before dissipating. Delicious oak and hickory smoked bacon-ey goodness scent layered thickly on top of hallertau hop scent and caramel malt. Smells like a dream, a Rauchbier dream.
Taste is translated through as the nose presents, but as it warms up to room temperature, it shifts gradually towards the sweeter side of the equation..if it were up to me I would have added a tiny smidge more of the hallertau hops to keep the spicing level with the smoke and sweetness that builds as the glass warms up.
Mouthfeel is medium, but could stand a bit sturdier carbonation..

You will taste the oak, you will taste delicious smoke. If you like smoked beers, I highly recommend trying this brew for a taste of how magical Oak smoke can be. (most other smoked beers are beechwood and not Oak, I'm told by the label blurb)

4.79/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours cleat dark amber with a two finger fluffy tanish white head.
Hickory smoke and bacon smells in the nose and some smoked cheeses. Very woody smell. This smells like a delicious beer to cook ham with.
Thick rich malts and tons of smokey bacon flavors. I would seriously say that this is just a bacon flavored beer. It has the smokey essence of a camp fire and is nice and sweet. I must say that I was not expecting this beer to be the way it is at all, I have never had a doppelbock quite like it.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a decent fizzy head of about 1 finger that fades at a med pace with a bit of lacing, over clear reddish slight orange brown color.

Nose is pure smoked malts, a nice smoke though not too overpowering, a bit of a smoked cheese aroma, not much of campfire or anything harsh, just a nice soft smoked gouda like aroma, with a bit of darker wheats and sweet malts behind that, hint of crystal and caramel, and a slight hop character.

Taste starts with more smoke, this time getting a bit more of a smokey smoke, touch of campfire, smoked meats, slight smoked cheese, some sweetness, a bit more darker wheats give it the base with just the slightest hint of fruit, bit of caramel and crystal malts, a slight salty briny taste too. It comes a bit creamy though, with a slight bitterness and just a hint of warming booze. Finishes a bit drier, smoke lingering smoked cheese, a bit more bitterness with a touch of hops and some of the salty smoked malts.

Mouth is medium to slightly bigger bodied, a bit creamy, with decent carbonation and hint of warming booze.

Overall pretty good, drinkable, much more smooth and mild than the Urbock or Marzen I think. Drinkable and nice smoke qualities.

2.97/5  rDev -26.3%

A-Pours a hazy amber color with yeast floaties suspended in the beer with a finger of white head.

S-Smells strongly of oak and smoked bacon with some very mild caramel.

T-Smokey and slightly bitter and tannic with a lingering medicinal note.

M-This is pretty viscous with moderate carbonation and with a dryness in the throat.

D-I guess this style just isn't for me. I have a bottle of their Marzen that I'll try to see if this one was off a little.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%

Live review. Poured from the 1 pint 0.9 oz bottle that I bought $4.99 from World Wines & Liquor in Mentor a few weeks ago into my silver rimmed Orval Chalice. No observed “best by” date but I am not really sure that it matters that much. Love the green label and the very cool green cap with the image of a striding man holding a beer and the word “Schlenkerla” wrapped around the top of the cap. It is the same image from the sticker on the neck of the bottle if you are able to see that here on BA.

A Moderate caramel color body under a brief but creamy white head. Body has visible sediment floating about. Good look. 4.0

S Oak, smoke. I have to admit a strong bias for this smell in a beer which I find “intoxicating!” Really, it smells like the greatest campfire burning in front of you on a star-filled night on the Alaskan coast (I used to enjoy those when living in Juneau a while back). I do not know how the smell can be improved upon. Love it. 5.0

T Wow, like a liquid campfire…really this stuff is really tasty! This is like the opposite of Pacifico (my idea of a really, really thin, watery tasting beer). Of course I get big notes of smoke, oak but also in the mix is a sweet malt taste too. Some escaped onto my lips and when I went to lick it off it tasted like sugar! A really excellently crafted beer. 4.5

M Suitably thick, syrupy feel 3.5

D Fair to good. This is a big, tasty beer. I cannot imagine reaching for a second one of these. It really makes me want to go camping! 3.5

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

on cask at Engine 15

Appearance: amber-hued body with a thinnish, near white head. decent lacing. lighter than expected in color

Smell: toasty amber malts, nice smokey aromas

Taste: wow, nice and smokey,and prefectly balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body.

Drinkability: awesome and great for pairing with foods. are treat and a honor to try. I had 3 glasses.

A - This brew pours a peachy auburn-brown hue, slightly hazy, and is capped with a decent off-white head that has some staying power.

S - The brew is smoky, of course, but seems less so than the regular offerings. There are some nutty and dark fruity suggestions in the nose, and the smoke has much more campfire and less smoked meat, fish, or cheese than the standard Bamberg brews tend to.

T - The flavor is less intense than regular Schlenkerla offerings, and is only slighly smokier than the Helles. The fruity and nutty dark malt comes through, and the smoke offers hints of Gruyere or Rauchkäse much more than campfir or smoked meat, differing from the nose in that aspect. The alcohol is slightly observable, and I don't find that to be a good fit here. Despite the relative balance (AKA toned-down smoke), I do not think this to be an improvement on any Schlenkerla, except the Weizen. It is still a good and delicious tasting brew, however.

M - Lighter than medium, with lingering smoke.

O - Not the best for my taste, but I can appreciate both the Doppelbock aspect as well as the Rauchbier, so it is quite successful in that regard.

4.04/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Ruby red, 2 finger head

S - Smoked beef jerky, pork, a lot of smoke

T - Wow more smoke, a bbq in my mouth

M - Goes down quite easy, but it becomes taxing after a while. Medium carbonation and mouth feel

O - Really an interesting beer. I've had a few truly smoked beers and this one takes the cake. Intense and a bit hard to down for 22oz of cured smoke. Enjoyed it, but would rather sample next time.

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Surly glass. It poured a hazy amber color with a thin white head concentrating around the edges of the glass. The head pretty much faded away after a few minutes.

The aroma is strong with smoky, campfire like flavors. Definitely one of the smokiest aromas I've came across. I get a pretty big malty sweetness coming through behind the smoke as well with a little caramel and toffee poking through.

The taste also has a very bold smoke flavor to it throughout the beer. I get more of the woody, oak coming through in the smoke with a little of the malty sweetness coming through in the finish. Definitely a very smoke forward beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied overall and maybe a little light for what I like in the style. Carbonation is low and seems appropriate. Overall it was a very smoky beer, definitely one of the smokiest beers I've had. I really liked how the oak wood came out. I really like smoky beers so this one was a nice treat this evening. It would definitely be an intense beer for someone just getting into the style though.

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

Remarkably smooth easy-drinking smoked. The smoke is there but its understated under a delicious malt mix. Its on my lips well after I have completed it. It was great with BBQ. Greyish golden coloured body, small head. Mild smoke aromas. A tad above average mouthfeel.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Light-ish copper pour with steady carbonation. Frothy head leaves intricate lacing.

S - Strong smoke, naturally, but this is balanced well by sweet malt character.

T - Smoke initially. This is very smooth and pleasant, with none of the stronger band-aid/medicinal flavors that can sometimes result. Maltiness follows in brilliant complexity, but this is not sweet. Bread and toast are warming, along with a bit of warmth from the alcohol, as well. Smoke lingers in the finish.

M - Definitely a chewier beer, but still quite quaffable.

O - Another fantastic Schlenkerla brew. The balance between the stunning malt complexity and smoke-y depth is just wonderful. Wish I had a liter in front of me right now.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

It pours a light orangish/red with a small head that dissipated quickly. I took a sniff and there was a smell of smoked malts which almost smelled of a smoked gouda cheese. The taste was quite complex, there was a taste of the smokiness like a smoked cheese/oaky flavor. That was then surpassed with a sweeter aftertaste of fruits and brown sugar finish. The mouthfeel is a a full body and heavy beer like most rauchbeirs. There is light carbonation. There is also a slight hint of alcohol, but it does weigh in at 8% abv. Overall, this rauchbeir is probably at the top of my list of rauchbeirs. I can only drink one or 2 of these bottles and then feel full. If you are into Rauchbeirs get this around christmas or whenever you can find this one!

4.07/5  rDev +1%

Bought this Rauchbier from the Beer Dispensery in Apex, NC. My BA buddy, y2korey, and I broke one open in May 2011... Damn, I love the Rauchbiers. This beer has a nice golden, amber hue. Its nose is like a fresh, burning campfire that pours over into the taste as you drink it down. Mouthfeel is slightly better than average and I feel that this Rauchbier goes down easy for having an ABV of 8%.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 500mL bottle into a cervoise glass. Best before August 2011.

A: A decent head with moderate endurance on top of a beautiful red, darkly-clear beer.

S: Beef jerky. Smoky-sweet malts. I can't get past the strongly meaty smell. Quite nice though!

T: Brilliant! Strong and sweet, a malty-bodied beer with a bitter endtaste. The aftertaste is a huge, roiling tastescape of haunting smoke. What would otherwise be merely a run-of-the-mill doppelbock is lifted up towards the heavens with the burnt offering of oak. Quite nice.

M: Substantial through the whole taste. Towards the end, it lightens up quite a bit.

O: I'm a big fan -- the higher ABV gives this rauchbier a depth and force of flavour that the more-popular Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen doesn't have. Multi-dimensional, but always smoky. Recommended.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a clear copper/bronze color with a ¾” light tan, almost white, head that soon recedes to a ring of foam and a large patch of foam covering most of the surface. Some leggy and patch lacing is left as it recedes. Sipping leaves a sheet of foam and some nice speckled lacing for part of the beer but about half way there's little or no lacing or foam left.

Smell: The aroma is an interesting blend of smoke and malt without hops or alcohol showing. I think that even without knowing in advance it would be possible to tell there is smoke from the oak used in malting the barley.

Taste: The flavors are much as predicted by the nose and include the sweetness of the malt backed up by a soft smoky and oaky character that spreads throughout the mouth. There are traces of some hop bitterness here but not much else in the way of hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is on light side of medium bodied and there is a nice soft but persistent level of carbonation. The finish is relatively long and begins when the sweetness of malt gives way to the smokiness. Then there is some bitterness that emerges and persists for a while. Eventually the sweetness tries to emerge again but eventually the smoke and dryness take over the finish as it becomes dry and wide spread in the back of the mouth.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: I found this one more drinkable that I had expected. At first it seemed to me to be somewhat simple and only about the smoke. But as I had more (and as the beer warmed) the flavors became more complex and more interesting. While I’ll not make a great effort to find this one again I certainly would be happy to have another. My overall impression is that this is a well made beer deserving of close attention that requires one to look beyond the smoke and taking some time with the beer to discover the complexity that shows up here.

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

Big thanks to Bennettrox for smoking me out!

Pours a nice amber color, with loads of clarity. Head was off-white, and about a finger which laced well.

Aroma was big and smoky! Like a campfire, only sweeter and maltier!

Taste had a nice woody character, nice smoke notes, sweet malts, nuttyness. The smoke is huge in the aroma, but is more subtle and balanced in the taste. A bit of hops come on the finish. Quite good.

The feel was smooth and creamy. Lot's of substance to it. Carbonation was low, giving it that velvety character. Body is solid medium.

With the smoke intense, yet not overpowering, drinkability was good. Not hard to put away, and overall a shining smoked dopplebock example!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla