Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-13-2009)
4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Very nice!!! Definitely not a Dopplebock like the label says, but a good unusual beer.

Pours a very light copper color. small white head that fades fast and no lacing.

The smell is awesome!!! Smells just like smoked meat/smoked fish. I haven't experienced an aroma like this since Alaskan Smoked Porter!!!

The taste can't match the expectation of the smell, but it was pretty good anyway. Some aspect of smoked meat but also some malty sweetness and a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a hair thin.

Drinkability is pretty good. It is light and I like the flavor. THere is no hint of the 8% abv.

JayQue, Jan 22, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Served in a stemmed stange...or something like that from Durty Nellies in Palatine.

This beer was served a clear amber color with a decent ecru foam on the surface that was inviting. The nose is almost totally of smoke with bit of caramel in the background. The flavor has a bit of dryer smoke that has a slightly soured finish to it. The flavors are caramel like in nature beyond the smoke, but it's mostly smoke. The mouthfeel is a little on the acidic side, drinkability depended for me, it was hard to drink just by itself, but when paired with grilled foods it was wonderful. So I leave it at that. A nice beer overall.

Vdubb86, Jan 21, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

The label says "doppelbock," so I'm judging this as both a doppelbock and a rauchbier.

Pours with a good, thick head into a pint glass. Has a golden color that seems light for a doppelbock.

Smells like smoked meat. Intensely so. Makes me want to fire up the grill.

Mmm, this is the first all-out Rauchbier I've really enjoyed. Sweet malts shine through a haze of wood smoke. Apparently, this brewery's claim is that they smoke malts with beech wood and oak. I think I taste oak, but I'm just taking their word on it.

Some rauchbiers I've tried tasted too one-dimensional to me. I like this because I can taste a good beer under all the smoke. At the same time, the smoke tempers the sweetness.

Feels full-bodied, a little heavy, as I'd expect from a doppelbock.

Drinkable? No way. The heaviness and the smokiness are intense and a little overbearing after awhile. If this wasn't my last beer of the night, I'd go for the lightest beer I could find after this just to clean off my palate.

Edit: Not "drinkable" which I always took to mean "sessionable," but the best smoked beer I've ever had. Bumped the "overal" from 2.5 to 4.

TonyReaves, Jan 21, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +4%

Schlenkerla beers are always a favorite in my glass -- a first couple of tastings of the Eiche (oak).

A -- Pours a clear, orange-amber with a dense, slow-settling, mid-tan head.

S -- Rich and smoky -- reminds me of an old home with an oft-used fireplace, or a good old tavern with a welcoming fireplace. Some mild astringency in the back.

T -- Flavor starts with a quick hit of smoky astringency -- very Scotch-like. Blends into bready malts and finishes with some mild hop bitterness; slightly citric. The smokiness sets up a backbone throughout the consumption -- not heavy, but certainly unlike most beers. The aftertaste is bready malt balanced with spicy hops.

M -- Body is light-medium with a soft, chewy mouthfeel. It's almost like chewing on freshly smoked barley.

D -- Even at 8%, I could see wanting more than a couple of these at a sitting. The smokiness doesn't fatigue the palate, and the flavors grab your interest and appetite.

steveh, Jan 19, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Bottle picked up in Chicago and served in a Mikasa pilsner glass.

THe pour brings a copper-hued brew with a very strange white head. It started out quite frothy with large bubbles, and then comes a reverse head. The two eventually meet and form a nice, dense white head with good retention. A bit of lacing on the glass and a thin collar throughout. This was the highlight of the beer for me. The nose is overwhelmingly smokey with a bit of a meat character and not much playing behind it.

The taste is similar in terms of what the smoke does. Here I can get a bit of the smoked oak, though I can't say it really adds a positive dimension. The underlying doppelbock is completely gone and I don't get anything that would indicate this was the base. The taste brings a bit too much tannin and is overwhelmingly smokey. I suppose it's not that the level of smoke is bad, it's just that there's really nothing else there. A bit of an astringent, bitter finish. Really not a fan of this though I could see how one could enjoy it. My least favorite Schlenkerla beer to date.

Thorpe429, Jan 19, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

A rich whiskey-amber color with moderate sandy head. Nose is full of smoked meat--delicious bacon-y goodness. Smells awesome, very powerful. The flavor on it is also very good, though it kind of draws back the smokiness a little (still pretty smokey). No ashiness is noted, which is good because ashy flavor is a deal-breaker for me in smoked beers. Underlying dopplebock is pretty clean, though I might be looking for a bit more sweetness for a maple-smoked bacon profile, as of now it's just smoked bacon with a touch of herbal bitterness and maybe some bready malt underneath. Moderate mouthfeel, a bit prickly. Great drinkability, well-disguised alcohol. Love these Schlenkerla beers, superb.

LordAdmNelson, Jan 18, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours an orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is huge, with an incredible aroma of cinder block, chimney floor, greasy smoked meat and bacon. You be the judge whether or not this is a good thing, but it totally worked for me. In any event, the flavor profile replicates the nose in this fairly sweet, incredibly smokey beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light, with a long, fairly smooth, sweet, smokey finish. Drinkability is pretty good. Not sure how much of this I could drink, but this beer is so delicious, and the abv. is manageable... this would be an easy beer to drink a lot of if you can get by all the smokey flavor.

Yumm....

John_M, Jan 18, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

A Great find on Draft at the Map Room. Poured a nice clean dark amber color with a thick and creamy white head.

The smell had a nice bacony smoke quality along with a touch of malt and a hint of Oak.

The flavor was a huge blast of great deep doppelbock malts mixing nicely with layers of smoke and wood. Very complex the flavor just keeps coming at you in great ways.

The mouthfeel was fairly thick with a nice body to it.

Very drinkable, a truly great smoked beer, will be looking for more of this.

bashiba, Jan 16, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +4%

Pours a golden colour crisp and clear. A good amount of white frothy white head. Very smokey on the nose. The smoke is not an earth smoke but something perhaps lighter. At the same time, very overpowering smoke. On the tongue there is a lot of sweetness and smoke. Very well balanced. Lacking on the body though. Too thin for my taste. Overall fairly drinkable and an interesting beer

Urbancaver, Jan 15, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Pours a rich clear dark amber with a light head that rapidly fades to a thin layer, leaving good lacing.

S: The oak scent is present, but you can also pick up the biscuit malt and prunes of a good doppelbock.

T: As with the nose, the taste is mainly oak smoke, but there is a point, just past the center, where the doppelbock character really shows. The grain and prunes gives this beer elements of a Boy Scout campfire dessert. As the beer warms, the fruit becomes a bit more pronounced. (Perhaps as I become used to the smoke as well.)

M: Medium to full body with light but ample carbonation. The smoke effectively masks the abv.

D: For those of us who like Rauchbier, this is wonderful. I personally find the oak to be more mellow than the normal beech smoke from Bamberg.

speter, Jan 15, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to the GHS crew for bringing this one to share. Not the biggest smoked/rauchbier fan, but largadeer told me it was good, so I was a bit more inclined to try it.

A: The beer pours amber in color with a soapy white head to go with it.

S: Definitely quite a bit of smoke, though not quite as campfire heavy as their other beers. There's a definite oak smell to this (apparently the use of oak is one of the main things that sets this beer apart from their others) it, and just very woody overall. A slight meaty character, which I tend to pick up in smoked beers.

T: I can actually taste a decent amount of sweetness from the beer, which has a doppelbock recipe. There is still a lot of smoke and a hint of saltiness to it. There is a touch of fruit underneath, maybe apples. Perhaps it's the saltiness, but I actually do get some bacon here.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation. The smoke sort of lingers on the tongue.

D: While their beers aren't always my thing, this was surprisingly good. Certainly quite smokey, but enjoyable and different.

womencantsail, Jan 12, 2011

On-tap at Cask Republic into a wine glass.

A: Clear copper body under a finger of dense white foam. Solid.

S: Holy smokes! Puns aside, this is an incredible-smelling rauchbier - the rich, authentic, pungent smoke is literally the only thing I can smell, and that's perfect.

T: Smoke, smoke, smoke, wood, smoke, malt, smoke, smoke, bacon, smoke, cake, smoke, spam, eggs, spam, spam and...sorry, got carried away there. Smoke dominates, but is joined by malty sweetness and a boozy finish. Incredible, but a little rough on the end.

M: Medium body with plenty of active, crisp carbonation. Nice.

D: The intensity of the smoke and the harshness of the finish really take a toll here, but it's still complex enough to keep me coming back for more, especially in the aroma.

Notes: Awesome rauchbier, but not quite as awesome in the end as I found their Urbock to be. The added strength really didn't do this beer any favors - it's not like their regular strength version is lacking on flavor!

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jan 12, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

I am so glad I drove across state lines to Vintage Estates on a terrible rainy day...just to grab this. I was doing a German tasting, and even though there are some much better places around Pittsburgh to get German beers, I had never been able to find this Aecht.

A- Very golden colored for a dopplebock. It threw me off at first. A very nice copper-gold, but not the darker beer I was expecting

S- Wow...there is so much smokiness right off the bat. Some big hits of toasted pears. Mainly just that trademark Bamberg smoking

T- Again...Wow. I am a huge Aecht fan, but they are all not created equal. It has the big, dopple flavor, but with that smoke added in, man, it is good.

M- Smooth and thick. You know it is a dopple.

D- Could be better, but, then again, it is a rauchbier. They are supposed to be drawn out sipping beers. Couldn't have any more than 2 of these in a given night.

Please...buy this.

AventinusCam, Jan 11, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Must be the 2010 vintage, reviewed 12/25/10. 500 mL bottle, pint glass.

A- Beer is a cloudy burnt caramel color. Poured with around 1/2" of eggshell white head that quickly faded to dust, then nothing at all.

S- Inviting wood smoke, bacon fat, with just a slight touch of malt detectable. Smoke is the dominant player here obviously.

T- First and foremost wood smoke. Toasted malt, notes of grain, and a faint bit of floral hops(?). Light bit of pork fat flavor with a long lingering smoke finish.

M- Light and smooth with a bit of oiliness to it.

D- I like this waaay more than the Urbock of theirs I tried awhile back. The smoke is still the dominant player here, but there is a nice bit of toasty malt to balance it out. Not something I could drink a lot of, but I would definitely drink this again. I can't smell wood smoke anymore without getting a craving for one of these.

misinformed, Jan 10, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Big thanks goes out to womencantsail for sharing this one on my recent trip to Cali! Served from bottle into a pilsner glass. Poured yellow-orange with a minimal white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of smoked malt and pulled pork (really!?). The flavor was of smoked malt, pulled pork, and slight wheat. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this wasn't bad, but it also wasn't that great. All I have to say is, pulled pork, really!?!? That was definitely the first experience I have had with this flavor in my beer. For some odd reason I liked it (I am from South Carolina afterall). There was definitely some good flavors and aromas going on here.

thagr81us, Jan 10, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

Into a Duvel tulip (no mugs were available, waaahhhh!!!), pours a white head atop a golden body. The head dies quickly, returning faintly upon agitation, if at all.

Aromas of blackened smoked malts, oak, apple, and hints of caramel. The smokey smells predominate, while the doppelbock characteristics do not.

Flavors of apple, bacon, applewood bacon, etc. Lots of malty sweetness up front and throughout, with a lot more smoke emerging on the finish. There's a lot going on here, but I will save my BIG issue for the summary...

Thin mouthfeel, insubstantial.

Overall, my problem with this is the seeming lack of integration between the doppelbock and the smoke. Imagine a room where the doppelbock is standing up against a wall on one side, the smoke standing on the other, and neither asks the other for a dance. So the two aspects never quite dovetail.

As I sip, *sniff*, and quaff, there are plenty of apple aromas, flavors of apple and bacon, yada yada, but the two remain elusive in terms of just coming the hell together.

As I continue sipping and the smoke clears (hahahahahahah!) this is ultimately a doppelbock that happens to be smoke-y. That's my initial impression, and upon reviewing additional Rauchbiers perhaps this impression will change.

jminsc76, Jan 09, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

pours a nice looking coppery golden hue with a thin head of large bubbles that fades a bit too quickly and only leaves light traces of lacing.

aroma has faint smoke, lots of wood and earthiness. hints of sweetness, a touch of green herbal hops and more smooth smoked woodiness.

wow. this one is definitely complex. more levels than the usual rauch, this one traverses the spectrum of earthy flavors. dopplebock malts with earthy smoke, a hint of peat, caramel, fresh green hops, a hint of honey.

mouth is amply carbonated... maybe a touch thin for an 8% dopplebock, but it works beautifully for the oak smoke and the rest of the flavors. thicker and this one might be tough to swallow. This is smooth and goes down perfectly, highlighting the complexity of the flavors nicely.

All in all, I'm pleasantly blown away. surprisingly drinkable for 8% and smoke. Taste is amazing and not overpowering. complex and nowhere near as one-dimensional as many rauchbiers. This one is a must try.

djeucalyptus, Jan 09, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

A truly outstanding beer. Who could say no to an Eiche smoked Doppelbock.

I certainly could not so I had several pints at the Rake and I bought ALL 12 bottles from the store which are surprisingly good value at 3.50 a go.

The beer is nothing like the standard Schlenkerla rang and is not as punchy in its smokeyness but works on a lot more different levels. FANTASTIC.

DerBayer, Jan 09, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

500 ml with best before date June 2011 into Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche glass. Pours amber to deep coppery body with reddish hue and good clarity, topped by medium beige dense head with good retention, that clings to the walls.
Aroma is a pleasant balance between malty sweetness and non-harsh, smooth wood &, bacon-like smokiness obtained by oak-wood kilned malt.The smoky curtain is delicate enough to transmit the Doppelbock characteristics of the base beer underneath: rich malty sweetness with significant melanoidins and touch of plum and grape-like fruitiness.
The flavor is campfire and bacon-like smokiness which interplays with malty sweetness. The malts exhibit melanoidin qualities accompanied by notes of dark chocolate. Towards the finish emerges peppery spiciness (probably originating from the Hallertau hops used) with moderate hoppy bitterness. No inappropriate harsh, burnt or charred flavors. The finish is semisweet although the smoke reduces the Doppelbock sweetness to some degree by adding some dryness. Medium to full boded with soft carbonation and unbelievable drinkability for a beer of this type, partially thanks to smooth and complex yet not overpowering smoky character.

In short: A fantastic smoked Doppelbock with perfect balance between the smoke and base beer, reflecting the character of both.

crnipeter, Jan 08, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Part of the frustration of living in MD are the small things. Like the fact that I could buy an Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche tulip 4 weeks before I could buy a bottle of this beer. Still, I'm not complaining.

A brilliant amber-copper with a dense, off-white head, receding to a thick cap. A little lacing is present too. The nose is excellent. Brown sugar, caramel, a little sugar, and of course, smoke. I'm probably in the minority here, but to me, this is less smoky than their Urbock or Marzen. A definite hop character is present, earthy and leafy. As it warms, there's a touch of alcohol too. The oak smoke lends a mild spiciness to it.

Medium in body, this beer opens sweet with caramel, brown sugar and an earthy smokiness. The smoke character is definitely reserved, providing a faint bacon flavor. Hops appear mid-palate, providing a blend of earth and green, leafy flavor. Moderate bitterness is present on the finish, again, earthy, along with a blend of smoke, brown sugar and a little alcohol. Carbonation is medium-light , working well with the medium body and the complex finish. Oak is present mostly as a little vanilla-sweetness to complement the smoke. As always, I'm astounded by how hoppy German beers are when fresh. Excellent stuff, I will drink more of this.

DefenCorps, Jan 06, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

.5L bottle, 2010, best by 6/11.

Pours an attractive and clear ruby-amber. Thick head falls fast, but leaves nice lacing on the way down.

The aroma is smokey, oaky and pungent, reminiscent of chimney smoke cutting through a cold winter night. Slightly different from the other Schlenkerla brews, but not markedly.

Smoke flavor is deep and strong, yet with soft edges. Not as sharp as the other Schlenkerla brews -- maybe the result of oak replacing the customary beechwood in the malt smoking process. Thick maltiness blends well, but perhaps too well, as I don't get many of the sweet and malty flavors typical of Doppelbock. There's a light tanginess from the hops, actually. There's some caramel, but the smokiness dominates. The mouthfeel is soft, chewy and perfectly carbonated (medium-low). Eight percent alcohol is incredibly well integrated.

This is solid stuff, I just find myself yearning a bit for the usual Doppelbock flavors, such as molasses, sweet dough and dulce de leche, and maybe a bit less Rauch. I knew it would be smokey, but I feel a bit misled, honestly. Sort of a strange mix, though definitely a Rauchbier!

dasenebler, Jan 04, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Finally saw this on the shelves in Columbus, $4.99 per bottle. Jumped at it, I love Schlenkerla rauchbiers and this is the only one on the BA database (so far) I haven't tried yet. Smoked oak instead of beech according to the label: "The resulting Schlenkerla oak smoke malt has a smoother and more multi layered smoky note than the intensely aromatic beech smoke malt. The hence complex smokiness is paired with the multifaceted bitterness of finest Hallertau aroma hops".

It pours a very clear copper color with a thin foam that dissipates quickly to a small poof and a ring. Strong campfire aromatics, cured meat, your usual smoked razzle dazzle. I do love rauchbiers but apparently my perception isn't good enough to discern oak from beech, at least without a side-by-side.

Very nice flavor, smooth up front with salty bacon and sweet malts, a little bitter in back with a lasting smoky presence. Hard to find the bock flavors, I guess the sweet malts can be attributed to the bock style though.

Easy drinking, a very solid rauchbier. I'm gonna keep one for a Schlenkerla portfolio night, everything but the fastenbier (tap only).

TurdFurgison, Jan 03, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Wow, a smoked doppelbock? Nice!

Pours a mild amber color with a head that quickly fades down into my glass. It's been a while since I've had a smoked beer so bear with me.

Lots of smoked oak character to greet the nose. Makes my mouth water for some brisket. It couldn't possibly get better than this.

Smoked oak mingles with chewy malt to create a smorgasboard of win with this ale. Alcohol is well-hidden too so watch out!

Mouthfeel is full of lingering chewy smoked malt. Explodeifragilous!

Forgive the silly puns and all. This is a beer that all fans of rauchbiers would enjoy. It's deceptively drinkable and should do a good job of reminding a brisket/bbq fanatic of warm summer days behind a grill.

Brad007, Jan 02, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

16oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Medium copper in color, slightly hazy, moderately low off white head with some lacing and fair retention.

Aroma-Smoke, oak, bacon, charcoal, this is the holy grail of smoked beer aroma. Very light toast and a little bit of sweet caramel perceptible as well. No hops. As it warms, it almost develops a hint of fruit in the aroma, like apple-wood smoked bacon.

Flavor-Slightly less smoke in the flavor allows other malt characteristics to shine through. Nutty, toasty, caramel, smoky, bready, yummy goodness. Perfectly balanced between smoke and malt characteristics. No hops. No notable alcohol flavors.

Mouthfeel-Medium light mouthfeel. Medium low carbonation. Smooth as hell with some alcohol warmth.

This is such an awesome beer. I honestly think it's one of the best balanced smoked beers I've ever had. Fan-fucking-tastic.

plfahey, Dec 29, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +4%

I had a 500 ml bottle at tria the other day. The pour is amber/orange with a quickly receding white head. The aroma is full of sweet smoke, it reminds me of smoked bacon. The beer taste a little sweeter than it smells. Smoked meat is the dominant flavor, the smokiness lingers for a while in the finish. The beer was lighter in body than I expected, had a nice "clingy" mouthfeel. I really enjoyed this, I was surprised even the nonbeer drinkers liked it.

bonkers, Dec 28, 2010