Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Reviews: 1,045 | Hads: 2,085
Reviews by uberabr:
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a unique bottle into a pint, fills the glass well with a one finger head up top that settles, leaving excellent lace. Color is off-black: very dark with hints of red and brown. I don't think I've ever quite smelled a beer like this. To say the roasted quality is coming through in high definition would be an understatement. It smells like charcoal- a true Rauchbier. Subtle hints of lemon come through, but mostly a deep burnt quality. Cool.

Taste follows through with the nose, although there is a rich porter-like quality of mild hops, barley, and molasses. Mouthfeel is excellent. Full, creamy without being cloying, and smooth without being watery. Drinkability is high, although this style might not agree with everyone, and I think about 1 beer will do it for me because of the intensity. For the style, though, this is a very good 'bier.'

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Cold bomber into tulip, 5.1% ABV

Appearance - Opaque dark brown, but shows good clarity towards the bottom of the glass, head is only 1 finger worth, but sticks around a long time and leaves epic lacing

Aroma - As expected, very smoky, but not overly so. Pleasant and lightly sweet malts in the background

Feel/Taste - Very gentle, smooth, minimal carb, lighter body than expected, crisp, comes off as medium-light. Taste is nice and smoky up front: smoked salmon without the fishiness, smoked bacon without the porkiness! Smoke prevalent, but pleasantly light and woodsy. Mid palate the smoke comes together nicely with lightly sweet, faintly fruity malts. Faint grassy/spicy hop notes in the finish with little bitterness.

Overall - Really pleasantly surprised with this one. I wouldn't say it's "sessionable" unless you really love smoke, as swigging a smoked liquid is pretty odd to me. One was good, maybe I'd do 2, but I don't think I'd want to knock 3-4 of these back. However, it's actually quite light feeling and the smoke never gets overwhelming. This is a masterfully crafted, delicious beer; I truly enjoyed it.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

50 cl bottle (bb 11/2014) into a tulip glass. Clear ruby brown body, medium tan head that settles down quickly, little lacing. The smell is subtle smoke and sweet malt. The taste starts off with smooth toasted malt, followed by gentle smoke with a hint of coffee, finishing dry with a grassy hop bitterness, leaving an aftertaste of coffee-like bitterness and pleasant smoke. Medium body and carbonation. Overall a pleasant beer specialty, just the right amount of smoke in the taste. Easily drinkable, would have this one again.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

5.1% ABV per label on the bottle.

Pours a clear dark brown with a 1 inch light tan head that fades to a thin cap. Thin rings of lace and random splotches of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smells of smoked meats, campfire, and band-aids. Taste is of smoked sausages, liquid smoke, band-aids, and roasted malts on the finish. The bitter smoke flavors fade quickly after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very interesting beer. This is the first of the style that I have had and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I would try other rauchbiers in the future.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Schlenkerla, what can we say about them that hasn’t already been said? They are the undisputed kings of the Rauchbier genre... well they may be a little disputed, HaandBryggeriet’s Norwegian Wood for example is a really good Rauch... anyway, it’s time to finally review the Märzen, which was actually the first Rauchbier I tried, lost my Rauch-ginity to Schlenkerla, and TBH I did not like it the first time. Now that I’m a seasoned Rauch drinker Schlenkerla Urbock is my go to glass of liquid bacon, let’s see if this revisit to the Märzen is as good.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Stein.

A: Presents a deep slight-hazed Bole brown body with a tight-packed 2cm beige head that settles to half a centimetre. Looks a real dark smoky treat, wunderbar! 8/10.

S: Bacon, yes you’ve been expected, probably the biggest difference between this and the Urbock is this one trends towards sweetness in the aroma with an almost icing sugar/cake frosting sweetness lingering in the background. Apart from that it is Beechwood FTW. 8/10.

T: Not as bold as the Urbock... actually I’m surprised by how shocked I recall being when I first tried this many moons ago - yes it is smoky, but not quite as smoky as the Urbock, and this is well balanced with notes of Bacon, sweet honey malt and a twist of lemon. This is the Märzen cousin of Urbock (remember that Märzens are bottom-fermented, in other words; a Lager, even though they don’t often come across as Lagers). Finish is Dry Munich Helles dry with a touch of yeast sourness. 8/10.

M: Mid to light bodied (a bit watery compared to the Urbock) with a light but dense carbonation - fits the Märzen bill well, not great. 7/10.

D: Overall this is wunderbar compared to the Urbock’s ehrfürchtige. A class act of a Rauch that is overshadowed by THE best Rauchbier in the world (Schlenkerla’s own Urbock). If I had to pick a cured meat to compare this Märzen to (as is my tradition for all Schlenkerla beer reviews) I would say this is: Smoked honey ham. If you like smoked honey ham you will like this offering from Bamberg (the unofficial home of sexual relations). Bam. 9/10.

Food match: Who needs food when you have a glass of this glorious smoked honey ham delight? Seriously though: Bavarian pork knuckle with fried potato and onions and sauerkraut... damn I’m hungry now.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Well this is not my favorite style of beer for sure but wanted to give this one a try,pours a deep amber with pretty light head.Huge smokey aroma like being next to a bonfire almost,taste is deeply smoked like smoked ham or sausage the beer has decent dry ending.Smokey and slightly sweet harsh on the taste buds for awhile I am sure a classic example but not my thing.Gave it a good rating however knowing this one is about as good as it gets for the style.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance: 500ml bottle. Dark ruby reddish/brown pour with a generous tan head that fades fast.

Smell: The nose is big up front with smoked malt, sea salt and smoked meats (ham and sausage spring to mind). While the nose is unlike almost anything else out there, i wouldn't call it the most appetizing of aromas.

Taste: Somewhat lighter then the nose would have you believe. Smoked malt is obvious as is big meaty hints of sausage and ham. The flavours mellow out while in my mouth and smooth towards the finish. A suprisingly well rounded beer with complex aromas and flavours as well as excellent balance and body.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and light to a degree. Medium finish.

Drinkability: I couldn't have this everyday but what a treat to have with a good BBQ or smoked sausage and ham.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance – Dark brown and thin/clear in the body with a nice, working head that laced the glass.

Smell – When I lived in Germany I knew a pig farmer, and one day we slow roasted a pig on a spicket for nine hours for a family reunion. That’s about the only time I’ve ever smelled anything as smoky and meaty as this ale.

This stuff embedded itself in my walls. Don’t dip your nose into it; smell it from a distance. It smells like fried bacon.

Taste – Light malts and with a little bit of sweetness, almost like a good Oktoberfest ale, with smoke for days. Think beef jerky or fried bacon.

Mouthfeel - This one’s a lightweight, as expected, and very flat.

Drinkability – I doubt most people could finish this bottle, but if you’re a fan of the smoke (rauch) flavor, this is a must try.

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Had and enjoyed the Urbock rauchbier, don't know why it has taken me so long to finally pick this one up. The store I went to was out of the Urbock at the time, or else I would've gotten them both and tried them side by side. The Marzen is a bit lighter in color; deep-ish brown with more clarity and a wispy off-white head that clings to the glass just a bit at the top.

The aroma is stupendous; a brigade of smoked malts just engulf your senses for a moment and it's heavenly. What I love about the aroma is the pure and varied nature of the smoke - I'm picking up charred wood, light charcoal, campfire roast, and even a bit of smoked sausage and bacon. It's not just a straightforward, ashtray-like smoke that oftentimes is the downfall of many other beers of this style.

Very similar follow-through with the taste, although a bit more light than the Urbock - slightly less creamy and thick, but acceptable given the lower (and sessionable) ABV level. Smoked malts work the palate; light char, mesquite wood chips, hints of smoked meat, liquid smoke. Once again, I'm most taken back by Schlenkerla's ability to make the smoke so dominant and heavy while at the same time making sure it's not burning, ashy, or off-putting. Very well done. Medium carbonation, medium body.

I believe I liked the Urbock a little bit more, although I'd really have to try them back to back just to be sure, and I think I might do that soon. I remember loving the thick and creamy body of the Urbock, and the flavors popped a bit more. This one might have a better nose, though. Either way, both are quintessential examples of the rauchbier style.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

I decided to open this to pair with bratwurst but I reviewed it mostly before food interfered.

It smells like a good smoke beer should; bacon fat, campfire. Not too much going on but nice.

Taste is smokey with a little bit of sweet malt and coffee as it warms and finishes off-dry.

I wouldn't drink too many of these on their own but pairing it is wonderful and I would
recommend it. Great for the style but not everyday.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a very dark brown. No head, minimal lacing. Oily surface. Smell is pure smoke. Smells like charcoal plus good pork bbq. Front is puuure smoked bacon. Back doesn't taste much different than the front. Very nice mouthfeel, not thick, but substantial. Overall really good if you can get it and love pork.

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

The Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen pours from the elegant 500ml bottle a deep shimmering brown with red highlights that explode out of the glass when held up to the light. A creamy, bubbly bright off white head rises up with large bubbles in the mix. A huge, crisp smoky aroma wafts up into my nose and nearly makes me do a double take. Reminds me of smoked beef jerky, gouda and a dying campfire in the midst of summer. Underneath the smoke lies some caramel tones and a hint of nutty sweetness. An intriguing beer that keeps me coming back for another sniff.

The first sip of my first true Rauchbier brings a large dose of smokehouse flavor upfront. The smoke is prominent, however it doesn't overshadow the underlying nutty caramel tones that the brew has to offer. I get a hint of light fruit flavors on the way down. Truly a well crafted Rauchbier that has a sublte complexity that keeps me coming back for that next sip.

Smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel flows over the palate so easily I almost forget I'm drinking it. An intensly drinkable brew that is refreshing and a nice change of pace. If you enjoy smoked beers this one should be on your list!

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Mahogany colored body. Fairly clear with some carbonation and fine particulate floating around. Head is just off white and finished with small pockets of bubbles on top.

Aroma is strong with smoke, oak and campfire. A bit of caramel and dark fruity sweetness blend in with some toasted notes. Nicely smoked overall and a fairly strong aroma. It really opened up my sinuses.

Taste is like barbecue smoke and smoked butt, really meaty in the main part of the flavor. Has a touch of sweetness inititally and then the smokiness hits. Finishes smooth with a touch of bitterness. Nicely flavored. Much more smoke that I remember in the Urbock and this hits the spot for what I was looking for in that brew.

Mouthfeel is medium to full. Not as heavy as its sister beer. Drinkability is excellent. The lighter mouthfeel and meaty smoke flavor makes this one unique and highly quaffable. I really like this, just don't know how often I'll pick it up. I've been sitting on this one for a while.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this at Novare Res in Portland. Served in a seidel, it was a dark brown color with red highlights. The head was off-white and thick, and left some great lacing. The aroma was definitely smoky, in a good way, as well as some caramel. The taste echoed the aroma. There was a little mild hop taste later. A smooth, enjoyable beer.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a tall tumbler.

Nearly opaque chocolatey body with a thin off-white head settling into what looks like a map of Pangea on the surface. I admittedly just grabbed this around Oktoberfest because I wanted to have a few Marzens around. Just getting around to drinking it now and realized on pouring that it's a Rauchbier.

Smells like smoke with a hint of sweet brandy. Seriously smokey though, like someone poured some liquid smoke seasoning in it.

Wow. Really, really interesting. Again, so smokey that you think you're bringing some scotch to your lips, then...surprise it's more like an easy drinking porter.

Medium bodied and clean finishing other than the lingering smoke breath.

Full disclosure...I mentioned I bought this among a few other Marzens around Oktoberfest, but this one was still around only because it just looked like something I wouldn't really like. So it's safe to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the aroma and flavor. Would go great with any smoky gouda, sausage or grilled meat.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -2%

If you like the Rauchbier style, this is your brew. Very smoky. Hints of smoked ham or bacon found in the aroma, translating into a very smoky flavor that is well balanced with the malts. Not much hoppiness to speak of. Very drinkable since the smoke flavor isn't overbearing. I'm a fan.

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Presentation: 1pint 6oz fat brown bottle. No freshness date. Poured into the proper German glassware. Let stand to warm before serving.

Appearance: Dark caramel beer with a patchy, creamy, off-white foam head. Keeps a respectable lace with some gentle stick.

Smell: Wonderful smoke aroma of meat and spices -- yes, very jerky-like. Aroma isn't overpowering at all, just very unique and pleasant ... and amazing.

Taste: Full-bodied, creamy and smooth on the palate. A dry beer, overall, with a low level of malt sweetness, well-attenuated -- it's ample and helps to balance. A nice rounded smoke character allows small amounts of chocolate, light fruit and grain to peak out. Crisp with a snappy carbonation melds nicely with a brief and very thin peaking citrus hop twang and defining smoke twang. Mineral feel and flavour, touch of metallic. Lingering smoke in the dry finish.

Notes: You either like Rauchbiers or you don't. Me? I love them! Can't beat that old-school beer character where all malts were dried over wood fires, and as a result imparted a smoke character to the beer. Wish we had more of this style, but thanks to the Germans for keeping it alive.

In my opinion, Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen is probably the better out of the bunch. Pairs nicely with any grilled or cured meats.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla