Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,026 | Reviews: 1,041

Not your typical Marzen, but it's from Schlenkerla, so you knew that.

Bottle poured into a seidel.

Deep ruby-brown body with lively off-white head. Smell is more restrained then some other Schlenkerla beers but the campfire notes are still unmistakable. It's a welcoming, homey smell of hearth and brown sugar, more wood than bacon. The taste is smoke, breadcrusts, caramel, and root beer. Superbly smooth and drinkable - no astrigency whatsoever despite the smoke; a light tickle of carbonation is all that remains when it's gone.

Superb.

Quite literally the best beer I've ever tasted. Smooth, but very very full and rich taste without being overwhelming. The smokey tones really make this beer unique. For those of us that like dark and complex beers, this is an absolutely wonderful experience.

This is the best German brew ever in my humble opinion. Pours the color of brown sugar, you immediately smell the smoky aroma. Delicious. Mouthful is substantial but not too full. The taste is smoky brown sugar, like a perfectly cured ham. This is my favorite German import, cannot get enough. It is perfection.

From the time I first tried this beer I was totally impressed. So unique and so rewarding. Very complex. Taste is a great toasted malt flavor and with the mixture of the smoke flavor, you have an exceptional beer. This is great alone or with very robust meal such as beef stew. The first thing that hits you is the instant smell of smoke. God I would love to tour this brewery!!!!!

I had this beer at the brewery in Bamberg on Friday June 17th, 2005. I had about 1.5 liters of it by the time dinner was over.

Appearance: Served in a stange type glass. Clear red/brown color with a tan head that is very sticky on the glass. Nice lacing left on the sides. The head is fluffy and lasts through the whole 0.5 L serving.

Smell: Very smoky and woody with a scent of bacon. It has all the lovely aromas of a butcher shop.

Taste: Roasty up front and very meaty. Some fruity esters among the maltiness. Light sweetness throughout and a sweet and smoky woodiness. A hint of sage and clove as well. When I say that this is meaty, I really mean it. It has the flavor of sausage and bacon and it is buttery and crisp at the end. The dry and earth smoke flavor lasts throughout the entire flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, dry, and clean. The aftertaste leaves a nice feeling on the palate. A bit sticky and still smokey.

Drinkability: This beer is just lovely. I suppose people either love or hate Rauchbiers. I love them. This beer alone made the confusing drive to Bamberg worth it. Excellent in all ways.

This is an outstanding smoked beer. The nose is reminiscent of a Hungarian smokehouse that I used to patronize in Bridgeport, CT (without the paprika of course). It is unbelievable how well-balanced this beer is. Although I was expecting the smoke taste to overwhelmingly prevail, I find that the malt comes right through as well. This is certainly not a session beer, but will nicely compliment any barbecued food you bring to the table!

Seriously had a "I want to freeze it in the winter and skate on it. Then thaw it in the spring time and drink it." moment.

Excellent!
A great taste and a hint of smoke as you exhale.
Delicious!

I think I've found a new favorite! This smells like a good ol' southern bbq! Very porky/beefy aroma and a very smooth taste. Super dark, super rich and a wonderful treat. I can't even describe it, but I defintely spent about 10 minutes with my nose buried in the glass just enjoying the smell. This beer is a true masterpiece!

4.98/5  rDev +23%

the Rauchbier king! no doubt.

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

Fantastic rauchbier. The smell is so intense that capture you. You can feel the smell of burning wood. If you know italian kitchen tradition you can feel "scamorza affumicata" smell. The taste mantain the same characteristics and explodes in tour mouth. This beer is zone of my favourite.

4.96/5  rDev +22.5%

Oh my goodness. I walked into my favourite shop and asked for a good beer for camping / sitting around a fire. They recommended this. That shop continues to be my favourite for so many reasons.

Simply put, I have never tasted ANYTHING like this beer before. It is incredibly unique. It's literally like a waft of smoke with every taste -- and the taste itself is wholeheartedly earthy and just lip-smacking good!

If you enjoy drinking beer you need to do yourself a huge favor and try this. If you're a lumberjack this should be all you drink. Even if you don't like it. I never give out 5's but I just can't help myself here.

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

May be my favorite beer overall. Surprising since the first time I drank it (at the brewery) I found it, actually, kind of gross. The smoke is delicious, but not overwhelming. It has a nice smooth almost creamy feel with a medium body. This is great paired with German fare, preferably something pork with strong fllavors. Priceless experience if you can enjoy a liter of it at its source.

4.94/5  rDev +22%

Pours out to a sparkling clear beautiful garnet with ruby accents, forming a soapy nice-sized light-tan head with good retention and nice lacing. Carbonation is moderate, despite this bottle only having 1/4" of head space. Aroma is wonderful as I've come to expect from this brewery...nice solid smoke tones, but not overwhelming, with a lightly roasted malt balance in tow, and even some hops are discernable. Cleanly fermented. Mouthfeel is lively and very smooth with a clean finish and pleasantly medium-light body. The taste is heaven...The smoke is there, but in exquisite balance with the gentle roastiness and mild residual sweetness of the malts. The finish is crisp and clean with a lingering touch of bitterness floating on the tongue complementing a pleasant wisp of acidity and coffee. Alcohol is imperceptable and there are no off-flavors. This is simply a world-class brew.

This beer is amazing. Rich in complexity, uniquely smoky but with an exceptional drinkability...never off-putting and wonderfully balanced. Ahhhh...happiness.

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

I first saw this style of beer at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL. As I attempted to pronounce the phlegm inducing, tongue twister of a name I thought to myself, "Smoke beer? Is this going to taste like dear old Grandma Abigail's ashes?" It was nothing like that at all! I slowly poured the rich tawny brew into a pilsener stlye glass (I had never heard of rauchbeir before then so I had no idea what vessel to enjoy it in.) I put my nostril up to the rim and inhaled deeply. Fresh smokey hardwood wafted into my nose. It reminded me of a summer barbeque with weiners on the grill. I took a swig and swished it around my pallet. What a symphony of smoked meat flavoring and faint oak. It was absolutely delectable! I had never experienced anything close to it. Now I live in Gainesville and I am totally craving the Jimmy Dean goodness that is rauchbeir. I have already ordered a case for the liquor store I work at.

4.9/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours a dark brown, almost black color with a lofty off white head.

It's aroma reminds me of a campfire, there is lots of wood smoke and barbecue, it's a very nice smell.

The taste is almost like hickory smoked bacon, there is a slight metallic flavor but it's not bad.

Feels very smooth and medium bodied with soft, subtle carbonation.

I don't think making a better rauchbier is possible, the smokiness in this beer is amazing and I would love to pair this with some smoked meats.

4.89/5  rDev +20.7%

There is nothing-- and I mean nothing-- like a beer from Schlenkerla. The marzen, like all other beers from this brewery, is rank with smoke from top to bottom, from beginning to end. And let us not leave out the salted ham, the salami, the tobacco, the prosciutto... the entire pig, smoked on a rod, slowly, without the apple in its mouth (which I find so silly, anyhow...). If you're careful you'll detect some light hops at the end which adds just a nip to the beer. On the whole it's softer and loftier than the urbock, but not as light as the lager (both worth your $6). An acquired taste, perhaps, but one which is worth acquiring. You cannot go wrong.

4.89/5  rDev +20.7%

A: Frothy, creamy head. Nice lacing. Deep, rich chestnut in color. Clear

S: Rich, dark smoke. Earthy. No hops on the nose.

T: Wow! Wonderfully complex. Layers of smoke and dark, nutty malt intermingle. Hops are overpowered by the smoke, but that's to be expected.. it's bitter enough that I know they're hiding in the back. Palate cleans quickly, no unpleasent off flavors. I would have thought the smoke would leave something undesired.

M: Medium/light bodied, which is surprising given the complexity. I owuld have thought this would be much heavier.

An amazing beer!

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Outstanding beer with very good smell and taste

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

This is one of the first rauchbiers that I tasted, and remains one of my favorite. Pours a dark ruby with low head retention. Smells like campfire with a subtle malt background. Tastes like bacon! Mouthfeel is perfectly smooth. Really one of my favorite German beers.

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Clear, dark, deep red color with a thin white head. Body has great clarity. The head is fairly thick and slightly off-white.

Smell is a great hardwood-like BBQ smokiness. Definitely no peat!

Taste reinforces the smokey smell. Medium-heavy roasted malts complement the smokey flavor, adding an exceptional balance to the flavor overall. A subtle bitterness shows up at the finish.

A rauchbier is one of the most distinct of beer flavors. Aecht does this better than anyone else I know of, and their märzen version can only be challenged by their urbock version for top-of-class in this beer style.

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle... decided to use a duvel for pure indulgence...

A- pours a deep dark almost black color.... thick white froathy head... thick white lacing to my glass

S- smells of a bonfire in the cold nights of Warren... or a pig roast in the spring months. Hickory wood is the dominant trait here

T- smoked Ham, smoked hickory. Caramel malt after taste, earthy balance... lingering of jerky smoked meat snack in the back

M- medium bodied... smokiness all over the beer in a good way.. sweet caramel and earthy hops to balance

O- this might be my favorite marzen to ever touch my glass... even though this is a rauchbier this really puts a damper on all marzens to touch my lips.... this is a hearty fall/winter beer to keep you warm even though the ABV is low

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

A- deep russet brown with bright orange highlights. The head just looks like it's been smoked- a dirty, grayer version of what I would expect from normal marzen foam. It is creamy and lasting and leaves spotty rings of lace.

S- mineral water, bacon, and smoked pork shoulder, ribs, whatever. The boy just smells like BBQ. There are some caramel and chocolatey undertones, but I wouldn't go so far as to compared it to chocolate covered bacon. Savory meaty tartness. Smoke leads the aroma.

T- not so heavily smoked as I remember the weizen and urbock to be. It's a light layer of earthy beech smoke, and underneath that is a rock solid marzen. I wish I could try it unsmoked it's so good. Caramel sweetness with a touch of milk chocolate and brown sugar, a slight fruity quality and perfectly balanced hop bitterness in combination with the smoke makes it easy to compare this to a brown sugar heavy rubbed applewood smoked pork butt. The finish is earthy and drawn out with tangy hop flavor and more light smoke.

MF- absolutely stellar. Low end carbonation allows this one to feel almost nitro smooth. As creamy as melted ice cream yet still able to quench some thirst. Melted chocolate. This is perfection.

D- as a marzen, it's amazing. As a rauchbier, it's smoked out amazing. I've been wanting to try this one for some time, but honestly didn't expect it to be this good. The smoke isn't so overbearing and without the smoke it would be one of the best marzens in my shiny brown marzen book. Metaphor.

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

appearance; clear but so dark that it appears opaque or nearly so. Off white head with so so retention and thin, sparse, yet beautiful lacing.

smell; Smokey Westfalian ham is the dominant and very most powerful odour. Some sweet malts but mostly bittered with smoke.

taste; Upfront smoked meats. Malts still come through, can taste that behind the smoke, Oktoberfestbier flavor sneaks around. Pleasant bitterness in the finish.

mouthfeel; heavy bodied, very dry and with a mild acridpuckering. Not all that refreshing but very tasty.

overall; A delicious treat well worth the high cost.

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

12oz poured into mug from tap, price was only thing that hurt this beautiful beer. Poured perfectly into a goblet.

A: Dark dark brown with tremendous lacing that was non-stop sticky.

N: BBQ ribs with a background of smoky malts. Nothing short of a memorial day grill with smoked bacon, would go great with eggs. The smoke is delectable.

T: Sublime. Smoked bacon over and over again- no more no less. This is one outstanding piece off work when done well. There are many rauchbiers out there but noone can pull it off like this one. What a treat. Beautfiful with sauerkraut and a German meal.

M: Creamy and malty. Coating to the mouth with the smoothest of malt flavors building through the beer.

D: Sure its a bit like a meal but it is incredibly smooth and surely hit or miss to most. You either love it or hate it and I love it. An all time favorite.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla