1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,561 | Reviews: 963 | Show All Ratings:
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

From the time I first tried this beer I was totally impressed. So unique and so rewarding. Very complex. Taste is a great toasted malt flavor and with the mixture of the smoke flavor, you have an exceptional beer. This is great alone or with very robust meal such as beef stew. The first thing that hits you is the instant smell of smoke. God I would love to tour this brewery!!!!!

04-08-2002 16:51:53 | More by Jdiddy
BrewMaster

I had this beer at the brewery in Bamberg on Friday June 17th, 2005. I had about 1.5 liters of it by the time dinner was over.

Appearance: Served in a stange type glass. Clear red/brown color with a tan head that is very sticky on the glass. Nice lacing left on the sides. The head is fluffy and lasts through the whole 0.5 L serving.

Smell: Very smoky and woody with a scent of bacon. It has all the lovely aromas of a butcher shop.

Taste: Roasty up front and very meaty. Some fruity esters among the maltiness. Light sweetness throughout and a sweet and smoky woodiness. A hint of sage and clove as well. When I say that this is meaty, I really mean it. It has the flavor of sausage and bacon and it is buttery and crisp at the end. The dry and earth smoke flavor lasts throughout the entire flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, dry, and clean. The aftertaste leaves a nice feeling on the palate. A bit sticky and still smokey.

Drinkability: This beer is just lovely. I suppose people either love or hate Rauchbiers. I love them. This beer alone made the confusing drive to Bamberg worth it. Excellent in all ways.

07-01-2005 20:58:08 | More by BrewMaster
wesleyhighley

I think I've found a new favorite! This smells like a good ol' southern bbq! Very porky/beefy aroma and a very smooth taste. Super dark, super rich and a wonderful treat. I can't even describe it, but I defintely spent about 10 minutes with my nose buried in the glass just enjoying the smell. This beer is a true masterpiece!

10-13-2007 01:27:09 | More by wesleyhighley
Dangerous

Connecticut

This is an outstanding smoked beer. The nose is reminiscent of a Hungarian smokehouse that I used to patronize in Bridgeport, CT (without the paprika of course). It is unbelievable how well-balanced this beer is. Although I was expecting the smoke taste to overwhelmingly prevail, I find that the malt comes right through as well. This is certainly not a session beer, but will nicely compliment any barbecued food you bring to the table!

10-13-2008 19:31:36 | More by Dangerous
rtrasr

Arkansas

This is the best German brew ever in my humble opinion. Pours the color of brown sugar, you immediately smell the smoky aroma. Delicious. Mouthful is substantial but not too full. The taste is smoky brown sugar, like a perfectly cured ham. This is my favorite German import, cannot get enough. It is perfection.

01-15-2014 00:23:04 | More by rtrasr
TheOneCleanHippy

Connecticut

Quite literally the best beer I've ever tasted. Smooth, but very very full and rich taste without being overwhelming. The smokey tones really make this beer unique. For those of us that like dark and complex beers, this is an absolutely wonderful experience.

03-18-2014 02:01:04 | More by TheOneCleanHippy
Mitchster

4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours out to a sparkling clear beautiful garnet with ruby accents, forming a soapy nice-sized light-tan head with good retention and nice lacing. Carbonation is moderate, despite this bottle only having 1/4" of head space. Aroma is wonderful as I've come to expect from this brewery...nice solid smoke tones, but not overwhelming, with a lightly roasted malt balance in tow, and even some hops are discernable. Cleanly fermented. Mouthfeel is lively and very smooth with a clean finish and pleasantly medium-light body. The taste is heaven...The smoke is there, but in exquisite balance with the gentle roastiness and mild residual sweetness of the malts. The finish is crisp and clean with a lingering touch of bitterness floating on the tongue complementing a pleasant wisp of acidity and coffee. Alcohol is imperceptable and there are no off-flavors. This is simply a world-class brew.

This beer is amazing. Rich in complexity, uniquely smoky but with an exceptional drinkability...never off-putting and wonderfully balanced. Ahhhh...happiness.

05-08-2004 16:27:12 | More by Mitchster
Portertime

4.93/5  rDev +22%

I first saw this style of beer at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL. As I attempted to pronounce the phlegm inducing, tongue twister of a name I thought to myself, "Smoke beer? Is this going to taste like dear old Grandma Abigail's ashes?" It was nothing like that at all! I slowly poured the rich tawny brew into a pilsener stlye glass (I had never heard of rauchbeir before then so I had no idea what vessel to enjoy it in.) I put my nostril up to the rim and inhaled deeply. Fresh smokey hardwood wafted into my nose. It reminded me of a summer barbeque with weiners on the grill. I took a swig and swished it around my pallet. What a symphony of smoked meat flavoring and faint oak. It was absolutely delectable! I had never experienced anything close to it. Now I live in Gainesville and I am totally craving the Jimmy Dean goodness that is rauchbeir. I have already ordered a case for the liquor store I work at.

04-08-2008 21:33:47 | More by Portertime
gfreed

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

There is nothing-- and I mean nothing-- like a beer from Schlenkerla. The marzen, like all other beers from this brewery, is rank with smoke from top to bottom, from beginning to end. And let us not leave out the salted ham, the salami, the tobacco, the prosciutto... the entire pig, smoked on a rod, slowly, without the apple in its mouth (which I find so silly, anyhow...). If you're careful you'll detect some light hops at the end which adds just a nip to the beer. On the whole it's softer and loftier than the urbock, but not as light as the lager (both worth your $6). An acquired taste, perhaps, but one which is worth acquiring. You cannot go wrong.

07-18-2010 02:16:16 | More by gfreed
badandy

Ontario (Canada)

A: Frothy, creamy head. Nice lacing. Deep, rich chestnut in color. Clear

S: Rich, dark smoke. Earthy. No hops on the nose.

T: Wow! Wonderfully complex. Layers of smoke and dark, nutty malt intermingle. Hops are overpowered by the smoke, but that's to be expected.. it's bitter enough that I know they're hiding in the back. Palate cleans quickly, no unpleasent off flavors. I would have thought the smoke would leave something undesired.

M: Medium/light bodied, which is surprising given the complexity. I owuld have thought this would be much heavier.

An amazing beer!

11-08-2012 01:55:59 | More by badandy
JMad

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours a dark brown, almost black color with a lofty off white head.

It's aroma reminds me of a campfire, there is lots of wood smoke and barbecue, it's a very nice smell.

The taste is almost like hickory smoked bacon, there is a slight metallic flavor but it's not bad.

Feels very smooth and medium bodied with soft, subtle carbonation.

I don't think making a better rauchbier is possible, the smokiness in this beer is amazing and I would love to pair this with some smoked meats.

07-20-2013 03:05:13 | More by JMad
robertfulwiler

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

This is one of the first rauchbiers that I tasted, and remains one of my favorite. Pours a dark ruby with low head retention. Smells like campfire with a subtle malt background. Tastes like bacon! Mouthfeel is perfectly smooth. Really one of my favorite German beers.

12-24-2010 20:25:41 | More by robertfulwiler
beergoot

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Clear, dark, deep red color with a thin white head. Body has great clarity. The head is fairly thick and slightly off-white.

Smell is a great hardwood-like BBQ smokiness. Definitely no peat!

Taste reinforces the smokey smell. Medium-heavy roasted malts complement the smokey flavor, adding an exceptional balance to the flavor overall. A subtle bitterness shows up at the finish.

A rauchbier is one of the most distinct of beer flavors. Aecht does this better than anyone else I know of, and their märzen version can only be challenged by their urbock version for top-of-class in this beer style.

02-06-2012 00:53:09 | More by beergoot
hustlesworth

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

A- deep russet brown with bright orange highlights. The head just looks like it's been smoked- a dirty, grayer version of what I would expect from normal marzen foam. It is creamy and lasting and leaves spotty rings of lace.

S- mineral water, bacon, and smoked pork shoulder, ribs, whatever. The boy just smells like BBQ. There are some caramel and chocolatey undertones, but I wouldn't go so far as to compared it to chocolate covered bacon. Savory meaty tartness. Smoke leads the aroma.

T- not so heavily smoked as I remember the weizen and urbock to be. It's a light layer of earthy beech smoke, and underneath that is a rock solid marzen. I wish I could try it unsmoked it's so good. Caramel sweetness with a touch of milk chocolate and brown sugar, a slight fruity quality and perfectly balanced hop bitterness in combination with the smoke makes it easy to compare this to a brown sugar heavy rubbed applewood smoked pork butt. The finish is earthy and drawn out with tangy hop flavor and more light smoke.

MF- absolutely stellar. Low end carbonation allows this one to feel almost nitro smooth. As creamy as melted ice cream yet still able to quench some thirst. Melted chocolate. This is perfection.

D- as a marzen, it's amazing. As a rauchbier, it's smoked out amazing. I've been wanting to try this one for some time, but honestly didn't expect it to be this good. The smoke isn't so overbearing and without the smoke it would be one of the best marzens in my shiny brown marzen book. Metaphor.

03-28-2012 01:25:49 | More by hustlesworth
warrenout330

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle... decided to use a duvel for pure indulgence...

A- pours a deep dark almost black color.... thick white froathy head... thick white lacing to my glass

S- smells of a bonfire in the cold nights of Warren... or a pig roast in the spring months. Hickory wood is the dominant trait here

T- smoked Ham, smoked hickory. Caramel malt after taste, earthy balance... lingering of jerky smoked meat snack in the back

M- medium bodied... smokiness all over the beer in a good way.. sweet caramel and earthy hops to balance

O- this might be my favorite marzen to ever touch my glass... even though this is a rauchbier this really puts a damper on all marzens to touch my lips.... this is a hearty fall/winter beer to keep you warm even though the ABV is low

11-05-2012 04:05:47 | More by warrenout330
diablo14

Australia

4.85/5  rDev +20%

i love anything that is smoked. be that meat, cheese, fish, i love it. and when i was introduced to smoked beer it blew my mind. now that these little rippers have bobbed up around town im more than taking the chance to indulge.

pours a delightful deep red/ brown color. the white head was thin, but lacing was apparent. the beer has light but pleasant carbonation. amazing smoky aroma, resembling great german smallgoods like kaiserfleish and kassler, backed up by sweet malts and caramel tones. the smoke is apparent on the front palate, then rolls into a smooth, yet firm roasted malt flavor, with hints of coffee and everton toffee. finishes with a crisp and tasty hop bitterness that doesnt take over, but holds its own in a tidy fashion. being the hedonistic fool i am sometimes, i could just go and drink this all night long. however, i prefer to save it for every once in awhile to savor the unique characteristics just that little bit more.

one of the worlds finest range of brews, and this is one of the picks of the bunch. in my book, you havent really drank beer until youve had at least one of these beauties, whether you end up liking it or not. in my all time top 10 easy.

11-30-2005 12:40:06 | More by diablo14
marcpal

4.85/5  rDev +20%

12oz poured into mug from tap, price was only thing that hurt this beautiful beer. Poured perfectly into a goblet.

A: Dark dark brown with tremendous lacing that was non-stop sticky.

N: BBQ ribs with a background of smoky malts. Nothing short of a memorial day grill with smoked bacon, would go great with eggs. The smoke is delectable.

T: Sublime. Smoked bacon over and over again- no more no less. This is one outstanding piece off work when done well. There are many rauchbiers out there but noone can pull it off like this one. What a treat. Beautfiful with sauerkraut and a German meal.

M: Creamy and malty. Coating to the mouth with the smoothest of malt flavors building through the beer.

D: Sure its a bit like a meal but it is incredibly smooth and surely hit or miss to most. You either love it or hate it and I love it. An all time favorite.

05-26-2008 03:57:46 | More by marcpal
JaredWolgemuth

4.85/5  rDev +20%

Among the 6 other taste testers on the beer in my group, I was the only one that enjoyed it: and boy did I ever- ranked as one of my all time favorites it has an outstanding smell, the initial taste is an earth shaker. If you like smoky flavor- please don't die before you sample this. Outstanding from start to finish- I can't rain enough accolades on this gem.

12-25-2010 14:58:08 | More by JaredWolgemuth
thespaceman

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a tulip

Appearance: Very deep ruby/amber in color, agressive pour yields a nice white two finger head with excellent retention. Sticky lacing on the glass as I continued to drink this one.

Smell: SMOKE, SMOKE & more SMOKE! I love smoked beers, and this one takes the cake. Smoked meat, almost bacon-esque pops you in the face, a solid malt spice detectible here as well with bits of vanilla. The beechwood logs used in the brewing process are very detectible, giving off a very woodsy aroma. Probably the best beer I've ever had the pleasure of smelling.

Taste: Just like the smell, loads of smoke fill up the palate, I get some smoked meat flavors, vanilla and a touch of toffee in the backdrop. The earth like wood aroma really kicks in towards the finish without strecthing the taste buds too much. This is like taking a smoked beef brisket and shoving it in a lager beer and drinking it. Absoloutley amazing!

Mouthfeel: Decent amount of carbonation, it's a lighter beer so it's not going to kill you when it sits on the tongue. A nice bittering effect from the german hops is just what the doctor ordered.

Drinkability: One amazing beer that must be had by all beer lovers. I know alot of people don't like smoke beers but this may be the one that turns there opinion around. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier is the most authentic of any Rauchbier's I've ever had. It's smooth, smokey, and easy to sip. I've yet to try this with some smoked BBQ but I can imagine it is amazing. Very glad I tried this and look forward to trying many more beers from the cellars of Schlenkerla in Bamberg.

04-22-2011 22:26:30 | More by thespaceman
Sachsenfreude

4.85/5  rDev +20%

appearance; clear but so dark that it appears opaque or nearly so. Off white head with so so retention and thin, sparse, yet beautiful lacing.

smell; Smokey Westfalian ham is the dominant and very most powerful odour. Some sweet malts but mostly bittered with smoke.

taste; Upfront smoked meats. Malts still come through, can taste that behind the smoke, Oktoberfestbier flavor sneaks around. Pleasant bitterness in the finish.

mouthfeel; heavy bodied, very dry and with a mild acridpuckering. Not all that refreshing but very tasty.

overall; A delicious treat well worth the high cost.

06-26-2012 15:00:35 | More by Sachsenfreude
Longstaff

5/11/05

Had to re-review this since I've had it so many times since the original review and my views have changed drastically. What can I say but this is the difinitive rauchbier that is the smokiest it gets. Nice strong beechwood smoke flavor upfront reminiscent of smoked fish or meat that may be overwhelming at first, but then dissapates the more you drink. The malt is very sweet and sugary like a marzen but is has a substantial enough bitterness on the back end to make it more balanced than a marzen. Smoke flavors are strong at first, but after a few pints, only slightly noticeable. Creamy mouthfeel makes this feel slick going down. I can't get enough of this magical elixer.

---
6/03/02
Who put sardines in my beer? The oily, smoked fish aroma is much stronger than it tastes and is quite pleasant after a few sips. After my first sip I wondered how I was going to finish the bottle, after my last, I wanted another bottle. Went great with a hunk of Jarlsberg cheese.

05-11-2005 20:10:49 | More by Longstaff
Greggy

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

A- Very dark amber color, no sediment, great head and sticky lacing.

S- This smells like walking into my local meat market, bacon, venison and campfire.

T- big meat smokiness, venison, very dark dry chocolate maltiness.

M- Very low carb but great taste and finish.

D- What an amazing beer. Easily drinkable and will pair amazingly with meats. I intend to always have a couple of these in my fridge. Wow...

08-13-2008 05:21:08 | More by Greggy
armock

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

A huge thanks to Champ103 for giving this to me in a trade.

A - Poured a brown with a amber tint color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is a nose full of that wonderful Bamberg smoked malt and a hint of spice

T - Follows the nose lots of smoked malt upfront its like drinking a slightly spiced campfire

M - This beer has a fuller body with medium carbonation to it

D - I think I really need to move to Bamberg Germany Rauchbiers are one of my favorite beers and Aecht Schlenkerla is the brewery that all other Rauchbiers should be judged by I could seriously drink this stuff all day and all night a must try

11-02-2009 19:32:20 | More by armock
DerBayer

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

This is much better on tap than from the bottle. I just had this in the rake and man this is amazing.
The smoked barley gives it such a full body that it can easily match up to any stout or porter in fact potentially one of the fullest bodies ever.
At the same time there is none of that ale staleness but a crisp refreshingness mixed with sweet malt flavours - OUTSTANDING

11-28-2009 15:17:01 | More by DerBayer
jneiswender

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

Had at the brewery in Bamberg. Served out of barrel into glass, cool.

A-black walnut body with an off white head.

S-smells like mesquite smoke.

T-smoke front, malt with some nice hop flavor at the end.

M-medium

D-GREAT beer. This is a classic smoked beer. Not overly smoky at all. I would have this beer again.

01-19-2010 01:27:09 | More by jneiswender