Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
shivtim

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Dark but translucent, with nice red and brown hues. Slight head. Nose is smoky, oily malts. Taste is pleasant, like nice roasted coffee beans and toasted smoky malts. Mouthfeel is good, and so is drinkability. Good beer for the style. I'd like to marinate some fish in this stuff.

02-15-2007 00:56:33 | More by shivtim
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A nice light brown color, some ruby highlights, dark in the middle, fairly clear, with a thin 1cm head. Loose bubbles, collapses to a thin swirl, very little lacing. Looks about how I'd expect. Smell is definitely is smoked, very smoked, but this one is more woody than the first I tried, and much less meaty, still some burnt pork, like BBQ, but with a distinct malt sweetness underneath. Again, a good smell for a rauchbeir, though its hard to look past the fresh wood smoke smell, like ashes. The taste comes across first with the woody smoke, like eating smoked meat, without the meat underneath. Definitely a very interesting taste, but I think this one is much more palatable for me than other rauchbiers, and I think this one is what thay're all shooting for. I really only get wood smoke though, sometimes like cooked meat, sometimes like raw wood pulp, there's a light malty finish with a bit of sweetness, but nothing impressive. The smoke is king here, and its pleasant. The carbonation is nice, makes it more interesting for me, otherwise this is kind of like liquid smoke. It's in a nice place between thick and thin, good body though. The drink is nice, I suppose very good for a smoked beer and the alcohol doesn't get you, but in the overall scheme of beers, this just isn't easy to drink. I'm interested in the flavors, though I think that lasts briefly, and the one-dimensionality will force me to slow down and lose interest. Worth a shot for those who are interested.

03-27-2009 02:38:34 | More by taylorhamrick
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A very dark beer for a Marzen, a dark amber in color. This one is quite dry tasting, with a very pronounced smokiness to it. The dryness seems to accentuate and focus your tastebuds upon the smoke flavor. This beer has quite a good amount of Body, a certain fullness that comes through even though it is quite dry tasting. There is not much in the way of hop flavor, which is good, as it allows the subdued malt and, of course, the smoke to come through.

09-04-2003 16:09:19 | More by Gueuzedude
woemad

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

1pt. 9oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.07(this place has the funkiest prices). Was surprised to see it. I had always been curious about German smoked lagers. My only smoked beers previously had been smoked porters from U.S. micros.

This poured a dark reddish brown. Medium sized off-white head that dropped fast, after a fairly vigorous pour. Slight, thin sheets of lace.

This smells like smoked sausages. I got a hankering for German cuisine just by sniffing the opened bottle. I like the smell of smoked sausage, but it's a bit odd coming from a beer. There was nothing else that I could pick out, the smoked odor was pretty overwhelming.

The taste was good, if you like smoked sausage. Like the smell, the taste was totally dominated by the smoked malts. This is a good thing if you like that kind of flavor, very bad if it puts you off. There's a very slight hop note at the finish, but it's doing all it can just to be noticed. This doesn't seem to balanced, but it may be on purpose.

Mouthfeel is relatively thick, though not to the point of a good doppelbock. For a marzen, it's probably about right.

This is a tasty beer if it's your cup of tea. I don't think it is something many people would like to consume in any quantity. It's rather filling, like a plate of good smoked German sausages. This would probably complement grilled meat. Time to fire up the grill!

04-01-2004 08:45:56 | More by woemad
SaunaKing

Ontario (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

I picked up a few of these when I was in Toronto after trying one at Beer Bistro. Its deep brown with ruby tints. Nice creamy beige head that is quite dense.
Aroma of black licorice and smoked dried sausage. Makes me think of Polish sausages hanging from my Mom's kitchen cuboards. One of the most unique, memorable aromas of any beer I have experienced.

Head gives way to a thin layer leaving lacing from the receded head but no lacing as you drink the beer.

Taste is pleasant, but disapointing. After the look and the aroma its kind of a letdown. Malty but a hint of burnt malt - i guess thats the idea of smoking the malt. I can't really detect the tastes that I am smelling. Really doesn't wow me. Very mild hop presence and a bit of a salty aftertaste.

Thin mouthfeel, just washes around in your mouth - i was hoping for big and beefy, but at least it makes for good drinkablity, this could be a session beer.

03-19-2005 03:13:53 | More by SaunaKing
brendan13

Australia

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a very dark ruby red colour with an inch or so of off white head. Quite a decent lacing is left.
S - Smell is all about the smoked meat - exactly like the deli area of the queen vic market where I bought it from. Polish smoked meats, italian smoked meats, you get the idea.
T - The smokiness is also quite present in the taste as well as a subtle caramel maltiness.
M - Quite full bodied and fairly carbonated.
D - Any more than one in a session would be too much but it's a top notch beer that I would recommend to someone wanting something different to the usual fare.

11-23-2007 11:09:24 | More by brendan13
tai4ji2x

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

bottle date unknown. poured into shaped pint glass.

dark brownish amber, ruby clear under the light. decent head soon fades to sudsy layer. lacing minimal.

smokiness is fainter than expected, like a smoked ham. not much else.

flavor is sweet and malty with mild smoke flavor, again savory like ham. mild bitterness fades w finish which is also faintly smoky.

not thick, but pretty smooth. moderate carb.

not as flavorful and complex as i had imagined in my mind. oh well.

07-14-2008 23:29:35 | More by tai4ji2x
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Serving at the GBBF BSF bar for a few years has given me the immense pleasure of tasting this legendary beer when it is fresh and served on gravity straight from the cask~~ Maybe this privilege has pitched me a bit biased, preventing me from trying the bottled version more often than I can get hold of it. Unfortunately, this bottle is consumed past its expiry date again, by two months only this time! BB 09/2008, served chilled in a straight glass.

A: pours an elegant, deeply-infused-black-tea colour with a bright mahogany glows; the dark beige fluffy head dissipates slowly, on top of a moderately carbonated body.
S: salty-sweet smokiness like kipper, smoked black prunes, and a light touch of brown malts all come in one sniff, leaving a mild touch of leafy-herbs lingering in the air.
T: the foretaste comes smoky but not terribly rich, more like a smoked longan-fruit tea sprinkled with some chopped tobacco leaves; turning lightly peppery, spicy, tobacco-ish, before the almost tea-ish chewy bitterness as well as smoked malts expand and take over the aftertaste. A decent level of floral hop bitterness manages to outlive almost all other elements, adding to the drinkability considerably. The finish is clean, slightly bitter-ashy, tea-leafy as well as slightly sour-fruity.
M&D: lightly carbonated, light-bodied, easy-to-drink... All in all, like a diluted Rauch Urbock with an attenuated smoked profile but retaining a good level of hop bitterness as a balancer. Despite being not as great as the cask version served on gravity, this bottle has proved itself to be a thirst-quencher for sure~~

* Tasting Date: 17/04/2005
This is my first time to try German smoked beer, so I placed great expectation on it. Had it at home on 16 April 2005 but the Best Before Date is September 2004...
3.5 A: dark-brown colour, with a thin but lasting head.
4 S: smoky (apparently!), "black-prune juice" (as in Chinese refreshing summer drink!) and a hint of mellow "longan-fruit tea" (again, as in Chinese drink...) smell...
3.5 T: nothing special to write home about... round, soft, but quite thin in terms of depth... The aftertaste shows surprisingly lingering smokiness (or is it the way Rauchbier should be anyway?), slightly sweet and felt like chewing beech-wood chips in the mouth!
4 M&3.5 D: a very pleasant drink overall, but I must say that if drinking it alone, it could become boring after just one pint... Or, is it because the beer has expired after all when I tasted it?? Gotta revisit this bottle version.

12-01-2008 23:24:33 | More by wl0307
ElGuapo

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A deep lightish brown colored brew with a large covering of off-white foam that will sit around for quite a while leaving you with a glass covered in lace. Before even putting my nose to the glass, deep smoky aromas hit my nose like a fire on a winter's night. Yes it is late august, but what the hell. Hidden behind the deep wall of smoke, there are some sweet malts.

Oooh! This one is deliciously smoky. I have always been a bit hesitant with rauchbiers, but I really enjoy them, so maybe I will drop that fear. I will admit that it may be an acquired taste, but that smoke is excellent. It is not overpowering, but it is definitely in full effect. There is a pretty good balance with some sweet malts and grains in there. The carbonation is light, but enough to be crisp. The body is medium to full. It is smooth and very drinkable. I don't know if I would sit down to a bunch of pints, but a couple would be just fine.

08-25-2003 23:02:38 | More by ElGuapo
sleazo

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A_Pours a dark brown with ruby red highlights when held to the light. A nice two finger head settles into a splotchy foam cap.

S_Deep charcoal like smoke scent. Slight sweetness.

T_Sweetness at first followed by a nice smoked flavour. Charcoal is less pronounced than in the nose. A more mild smoked taste overall than expected. Still enough to be please. Slight acidity in the finish. Aftertaste is medium smoke and dry.

M_Light bodied, medium to above average carbonation.

D_A nice rauch but not quite as good as the festbier of theirs.

04-11-2008 01:44:41 | More by sleazo
henrysunset

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

oldr bottle from k's going out of business sale.

dark almost black, but clearly a clean filtered red in the light, tan head with reasonable standing power.

Smells like peppered smoked meat, like a deli.

taste is smoky, smooth and a little sweet, a bit of bitterness in the main flavor, no floral, "the sensation of bitterness" -Andre

As you aerate it in your mouth, the smokiness appears. It is smooth, not think, pleasent in the mouth and interesting to drink and discuss.

05-03-2009 04:04:11 | More by henrysunset
JizackFH

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A - This beer pours a very dark copper color, and it has a nice 2-finger creamy looking off-white head. The head has great retention and leaves nice lacing behind.

S - It smells of smoked meats and campfire. There are notes of smoke, bacon, ham, toasted malts, some hops, and it has a bit of an earthy character to it.

T - It starts off with flavors of toasted malts and a prominent smokiness. I am definitely getting the smoked meat flavors that were suggested by the nose. There are also notes of caramel, nuts, and a touch of hops. There is good balance between the smokiness and the toasted malt flavors. The finish is clean, and it leaves behind just a bit of lingering smokiness.

M - This has a medium body and average carbonation. There is a smooth creamy feel to it, and it goes down very smoothly.

O - This has good drinkability. This is my first rauchbier, and I have to admit, I was a little nervous to try it. It is definitely a very interesting beer. It has a nice smokiness that I thought worked really well with the toasted malt background. I could definitely see this one pairing really well with food. I am looking forward to trying more beers of this style, and I would definitely drink this one again.

04-29-2011 08:07:48 | More by JizackFH
JustinMann

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

This was the first smoked beer I ever tried. I didn't know what to expect, but after some preliminary research, it sounded like it would taste like some kind of meat. Granted, I prefer my beer to taste like beer, but I was intrigued! So in the name of learning, I took the plunge. In addition to trying a new type of beer, I also decided to try pairing cheese with the beer. I picked up a cave-aged Gruyere, which was a pairing recommendation for smoked beers.

The almost-black beer had a frothy off-white crown. The aroma that met my nose was a wonderful bacon or smoked sausage, which literally made my mouth water. Surprisingly, the first sip that met my tongue was less meat and more lager. As the crisp flavor began its descent, the aftertaste was reminiscent of that first smell of bacon, this time with a hint of wood. I was impressed that while the brew had a definite meat flavor, it was still very much a lager.

After a few more sips, I tried pairing it with the Gruyere and found that they indeed mixed well together. The blend of beer and cheese made for a sensational burst of flavor in my mouth with the Rauchbier fizzing around the cheese. The cheese enhanced the flavor of the smoked meat but in a refreshing way.

All in all, I was glad for the chance to expand the horizon on my journey to learn more about beer. If you've never tried a smoked beer before, it's definitely worthwhile to experience the flavor at least once. However, I would recommend picking up a single bottle to try. While I would partake of a smoked beer again, it's not on my "must drink again soon" list.

10-15-2011 23:51:21 | More by JustinMann
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Pours dark brown with a slowly fading off-white head.
Nose shows smoked almonds, charcoal and smoked pork. Hard to pick up much underneath, unlike the urbock which had lots of malt. Still, quite nice.
Flavours are less smoky at first, with some soft caramel malt and mild bitterness, before that smoked almonds/ham note come back in force for a lingering finish.
Creamy carbonation could be upped a little.

09-14-2010 10:23:35 | More by CrazyDavros
Spikester

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Pours clear dark brown with two fingers of tan head. Good amount of lacing.
Smell is smokey barbeque malts with a good amount of earthy hops.
Taste is smokey bitter hops and a good amount of dark malt.
Mouthfeel is full with a minimal amount of carbonation.
Overall a very tasty beer. The smoke flavor is just enough not overpowering. A very tasty brew although an occasional one for me.

08-15-2013 05:51:16 | More by Spikester
rarbring

Sweden

3.88/5  rDev -4%

A very dark beer, black with a hint of brown, seems clear. The head is light beige and leaves rather much lacing.

The smell is mostly burnt moist wood, some dark roasted coffee and a hint of stable and earth.

A sweet tone at first, from dark syrup and dark bread. A hint of coffee and smoked sausage.

The liquid is soft, mild carbonation and overall smoth.

Something to drink by the fire!

02-13-2010 20:44:17 | More by rarbring
DeaconBluez

Alabama

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Color is very dark, rubyish. Head is very dense.

Smell: It has a very somkey smell. Almost smell beef jerky or hotdogs at first sniff. It is very nice smokey smell. I feel like I am smelling someone burn old papers and what not.

Tate: Also very smoky tasting. Like I put an extinquished match in my mouth (don't ask!!)

Mouthfeel: Very creamy

Drinkabilty: I like the smoked taste, but I don't know if I could drink more than one of these at a time. Very good nonetheless.

10-20-2005 23:22:11 | More by DeaconBluez
srandycarter

3.88/5  rDev -4%

A - About a cola color, near white small head to ring, some cling.

S - Wow. As others have posted, smoked ham, bacon, a fire out on the beach. Lots of wood and smoke. Malt doesn't see much of it.

T - The spotlight is on the smoke. Very charred, meaty, bacon like. The marzen maltiness is very subdued but present.

M - Light to medium, good carb and surprising good balance considering how over the top the smoke could get.

D - Nice, but I would tire after 1 or 2.

02-12-2012 06:38:32 | More by srandycarter
Slynger

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Pours a deep, clear, brownish copper-amber with a light, fuzzy cap of taupe.

Smells like a sweet, smokey campfire.

Taste's about the same, it's pleasant and enjoyable. Brown sugared caramel sweetness comes in light with roasty-toasty malts, possessing a big smokey campfire overtone throughout. Medium bodied, nice carbonation lightly fuzzy, lightly creamy, lightly sharp.

I'm not sure that beers of this style are really my favorites, but this is definitely a rauch done right, which I could definitely see myself enjoying at the right place. A campfire, barbecue, or smoked cheese complimetary for sure.

10-02-2008 03:00:15 | More by Slynger
flipper2gv

Quebec (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -4%

A: Very nice fully translucent brown color. Nice, big beige head with good retention and good lacing.

S: Obviously smoke is the main ingredient here. Really like wood smoke. Some light caramel malts and brown sugar. Toasted multi grain bread. Almonds are present with cashews. A little bit mineral and some herbal hops.

T: Well, this is not as smoky as what I expected, and I'm glad of it. There is a solid sweet and lightly burnt malt foundation giving off smells of caramel, molasses and toasted bread. Still quite nutty with the almonds and cashews. Mineral water fit the style pretty well. Light herbal hops at the end as expected.

M: medium feel with medium carbonation. Very creamy on the palate. What you'd expect.

D: Very easy to drink. Could go very well with barbecue food.

01-31-2011 02:05:56 | More by flipper2gv
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Served with a sticky, fluffy head of two fingers, tanned, over a mahogany body. Not much lace. Nose is strongly bacon-like, with notes of open flame and burned wood. Slight sweetness in the flavor that's not present in the nose, some roasted barley in there. The rest of the flavor is heavily smoked, lightly bitter. Herbal hopping component is also noted. Light body with high carbonation. Not so easy to drink due to the unusual nature of the beer, but a solid drink for when you're in the mood for a super-smoky sip.

03-02-2010 00:00:10 | More by BretSikkink
rembrant

Pours dark drown with ruby highlights and a 1 finger head

Aroma- Bacon and toast. Only is missing a fried egg

Taste Bacon

There's some lurking grain and malt but a VERY forward smokiness that's got a bacon quality...perhaps you could say sausage. Pretty over the top...yet it's tasty. Would go well with a lettuce and tomato sandwich Would be great on a campout where a campfire is not allowed. I can detect some bittering hops in the finish but that's minor.

Bacon in a bottle is what the main impression is,and the marvel is that it's really quite good though so much of it's basic beer qualities are left in the shadows.

Mouthfeel....I think my mouth is confused,thinks this is thick,oily,like a hunk of heavily smoked pork,rather than beer. I can't figure the viscosity and density in this...which strangely works. Drinkability....Maybe with enough eggs and hashbrowns I could do a long brunch,but as intense as this,I doubt many folks drink 2 a day unless they are from Bamberg and were weaned on it.

I am fond of Smoked beers. This one is a treat as a once in a while thing but too Bacon heavy for regular drinking....that and I like to find the BEER in my glass so going TOO Bacon or Coffee,or Grapefruit, or Bourbon,and losing the beerness,is not ideal

01-07-2011 05:30:56 | More by rembrant
DiabolikDUB

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at Belmont Station poured into Snifter glass.

Pours a clear ruby brown with a fluffy, slightly off-white head that leaves a heavy residual head that allows heavy lacing down the glass. Aroma is smoke, roast, salty bacon. Flavor is sweet, toasty malt forward with smoke and salt and a sweet finish. Slightly bready. Medium-full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Considering the smoke character, this beer is highly drinkable and well engineered. Well done Smoked, and not as over-the-top as a fresh Alaskan Smoked Porter.

01-04-2010 03:40:13 | More by DiabolikDUB
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.86/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier has a very thick, soapy, beige head, a clear, quite bubbly, ruby red or red-brown appearance, depending on how the light hits it, and fairly good amount of lacing sheen left on the glass. The aroma is very much of wood smoke, with possibly some sweet brown bread showing as well. Taste is of smoke, with a bit of sweet bread in the background. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier finishes crisp, somewhat refreshing, and smokey. Whether one enjoys smokey food and drink will determine how much they like this. I believe everyone should at least try it, though.

RJT

02-28-2013 21:58:45 | More by RonaldTheriot
polloenfuego

Ontario (Canada)

3.86/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 500 ml bottle to a pint glass.

A: pours a chestnut brown with a two finger head that breaks quickly but leaves fantastic lacing.

S: beautiful smoke smell along with some malts and a perception of smoked meats.

T: the smoke carries over from the nose but is more subtle. Caramels, light roasts and a slight saltiness.

M: medium carbonation and body.

O: my first experience with the rauchbier style, though not my first smoked beer. That being said, I have had better smoked beers but overall this was an enjoyable drink. More of a winter or early spring beer than any other time I would think.

04-12-2014 16:45:49 | More by polloenfuego