Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,027 | Hads: 2,033
4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a deep ruby brown with a big frothy white head. This beer smells like a midsummer pig roast; like a well seasoned brisket; bacon frying, Easter ham! The smoke is overwhelming, not even a hint of anything else. Magnificent. I didn't even want to drink this beer, just swirl it in the snifter for hours. Tastes just like the nose, all smoke with just a little sweetness and a subtle sort of metallic tang. Medium body fits this beer to a "T". Highly drinkable in vast quantities. (483 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It was a welcome treat after I biked home in the winter cold: a single bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. Or, in English, an “Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer Pale-Lager.” According to Schlenkerla, for one of their smokebeers (rauchbier) to earn the name and achieve the taste, the malt is exposed “to the intense, aromatic smoke of burning beech-wood logs.” It was exactly the taste for capping a day’s work and a nippy bike ride. This drink got pretty damn close to actualizing the phrase “it warms the cockles of your heart.”

The rauchbier had toasty, camp-fire, tobacco tastes and surprisingly medium-body smoothness and it deliciously complemented the smoky fish chowder and salty crackers I ate for dinner. (737 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Amazing beer. Poured out to a dark brown colour, with a medium brownish white head. Medium low carbonation. Amazing smell; inital odor of sweet smoke is followed by hints of earth, malt and roasted hops. Flavor was like no other beer I have ever had. Strong flavor of smoke, with earthy overtones, with the nuances of bacon. Yum. When they say smoked beer, they mean it. Full mouthfeel is not a turn off, as it doesn't go down heavy or make you feel like there is a brick in your stomach. Maybe not an everyday beer, but nevertheless one of the greatest beers I think I have ever had. Highly Recommended. (604 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Finally got my hands on a rauchbier. I saw their lager at the store and woulda bought it as well if I had known that so few people had reviewed it. Anyway, from a big German bottle into a German mug, it pours a rich, deep copper with very active carbonation and an inch of khaki head that consists mostly of small bubbles and retains a quarter inch throughout, leaving some nice patches/rings of lace. The aroma is very smoky from the beginning - I can smell the wood they used, and the aroma reminds me of a good smoked meat or cheese. By the end there are notes of faint hops and clean malts, and the smoke seems to be sweeter, if that makes sense. The first sip kickstarts my bacon craving, which by end becomes a smoked salmon craving. The taste is highly smoky at the start with notes of spices, but I soon find notes of faint coffee and green, almost citric hops with a mild to medium bitterness that intensifies as I progress, as does a tobacco flavor which leaves the taste of chaw in my mouth. The mouthfeel is medium to full, and incredibly smooth and creamy for a lager, leaving a long finish that makes me want another bottle. It is surprisingly drinkable, as I was a bit hesitant of the style, but it is a wonderful beer that is totally unique to my palate. I must try their other offerings. A great deal at under $4 a bottle. (1,339 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a pint bottle into a Weizen Glass.
A - reddish brown with a rapidly fading head of about a fingers height.
S - wow, smoked sausage. Hickory smoke. Forest fire from a distance, it actually reminded me of driving through Yellowstone when they had the massive fire in the late 80's. Incredible barbeque smoke that you can taste in the air.
T - the smoke is slightly subdued in the taste versus the smell. Oh it is there without denial but not as overwhelming as the nose. Smoky, lightly malty, and with a touch of sweetness. It reminds me of sampling powdered smoke aditives when cooking.
M - smooth, light carbonation, moderately oily feel.
O - awesome smell, great taste

I seriously need to grill some sausage to go with this beer. (743 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

A: clear, ruby brown with an a almost white head.

S: smoky and leathery. reminds me of camp fire, and smoked ham. Smoke is dominating and almost intimidating at first.

T: nice maltiness that is very smooth and rounded. very clean finish. It's so much better than majority of lagers out there.

M: good body, smooth and very tender. very silky texture.

D: Highly drinkable.

Based on the smell, i was expecting more "in your face" smoky flavor, but was I WRONG. There is no smokiness at all in the flavor, and it is surprisingly very smooth and clean. a beautiful beer. (572 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Pint & 0.9 oz from Chef's Pantry (as were the wonderful steaks, chocolate, and cheese). Served @ 45°F and sipped slowly warming through about 55°F.So aromatic from beechwood smoked malts, each taste was total pleasure and full of rich complex taste with mouthfeel that invited you to never swallow.

"Schlenkern" is an old German expression for walking not straight (just like a drunk person does). Allegedly one of the former brewers had a funny way of walking due to an accident (or maybe due to the beer), and so he was called the "Schlenkerla" This name was assigned to the tavern also and ultimately the beer.

Aecht is old German for "genuine" and Rauch is German for "smoke". wonderful illustrations of the beechwood fires used to dry the malts are on the website.

Acclaimed in Michael Jacksons Great Beer Guide it is said to pair well with smoked ham or sausages. If I could live my life over the one thing I would surely change was having Schlenkerla in place of the Lonestar with the succulant pig we roasted in S. Texas earlier this month. We followed this with Stone Smoked Porter - never thought I would find a Stone lacking in the flavor catagory. Never say never. (1,188 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a glass mug. Pours fairly clear dark caramel brown with an off-white head. I can see plenty of bubbles in the beer and along the side of the glass. The head retreats slowly. This beer definitely smells smokey and earthy on the nose. The smokiness in the nose is not overpowering in the flavor. I pick up some of those sweet malts. It's a little earthy. The body is light to medium with moderate carbonation. The finish is fairly clean and the drinkability is high. This is an excellent beer. (503 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

I had to give one of the original smoked beers a try, seeing how much I like smoked porters. This brew turned out to be no exception. Released from its bottle, this brew had a uniform dark brown hue I could almost see through. A large light tan head flared and quickly collapsed to a thin ring, leaving no lace.
The nose was quite complex and compelling; a potent meaty smoke aroma dominated with a light malty sweetness and hint of caramel. There was a meatiness to the nose and taste, like a smoked sausage or ham, that kept me coming back for more. I finally had to find out what wood was used to impart the smokiness into the malt. Turns out it's beechwood. While the smokiness is easily the most noticeable, it's the blending in of the sweetness of a marzen that really made this a taste treat. The sweet caramel-laced malts on the palate melded perfectly with the smokiness for a medium feel that was smooth and dry.
This beer is awesome! So easy to drink, it's like a meal in and of itself. I can't wait to get hold of their Urbock and Weizen. Delicious! (1,063 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

I poured into a pint glass to a couple fingers of tan head. The aroma is smokey bacon with sweet caramel malt in the background. On the taste I get the caramel malt upfront. The smokiness is subdued in the background but grows as I consume this wonderful beverage. The more I drink the more dark malt flavor comes through as well. The taste of this beer just reminds me of bacon or ham, salty pork.

This is just a fantastic all around beer. I can't help but think of firing up the grill while I'm drinking this. It's too bad there's two feet of snow on the ground with more coming down. I will actively seek out this beer to pair with my cookouts this year. Maybe it's the carnivore in me, but this beer makes me want to consume some lower inhabitants of the food chain!

Happy Mardi Gras! (791 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

ran into a fellow beer geek when he recommended this wonderful beer to me. popped off the cap and the smokey aroma that reminds me of pork or smoked bacon. deep amber hue with a fluffy head and lacing around the glass . (219 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Nose has beige head. Nose has big smoke presence over crisp malts, toffee and caramel. Taste also quite smokey yet still well balanced. Clean body is quite refreshing. I'm really starting to enjoy this style and these guys do a great job. (279 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

poured into a standard pint glass
Dark tea/cola in color with a big off-white, tannish head of foam
Aroma-Wow! You get the aroma as soon as you open the bottle. Wonderful smell of hickory smoked bacon and burnt malt
Taste-Another wow! Woodmoked malts and smoked bacon/ham and subtle sweetness throughout, without being overpowering. Clean, smooth finish.
This beer begs for a food pairing: Sausage, smoked ham, smoked turkey, even a BLT or a landjager would be a fine match.
Truly a unique, delicious, must-try beer experience! (527 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Produces a short lived off white or tan head when poured. Color is a dark mahogany with some tinges of red coming through.

The first thing that pops into my head upon inhaling the vapors of this beer is smoked salmon. Mmmm, that smoked malt smells delicious. No hops evident. Nuances of soy sauce and smoked woods are present, with a moderate sweetness coming through.

Carbonation is low to medium low, body is medium low.

Taste is, again, smoked salmon, and some smoked ham in there too. Also flavors of smoking woods, with some malt sweetness still showing through. Hops sneak in with a tiny hint of bitterness. There is something I love about the way this beer finishes so crisply, yet so flavorful at the same time.

A wonderful beer. The next time I have one of these, it will be paired with some home smoked meat. (831 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured with a beautiful light brown head. Gorgeous beer.
The aroma hits you like a smoker full of salmon.
The taste, amazing smokiness.
Makes me want to fire up my smoker.
Amazing beer!!!! (188 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours, with almost no head, a deep, luscious brown, almost black. One whiff and you know what you're in for - Smoke City, USA...or Germany, rather. Smells like bacon, smoked turkey, with just a hint of bitterness and some sweet malts.

Tastes like liquid smoke, in the best way possible. Less meaty in flavor than scent, but I'm also tasting a lot barley malts, caramel, and still just a hint of hops to counter the rich, sweet flavor. It's also remarkably smooth with only a little bit of fizz and a fairly low ABV content. Yeah, this one is really well balanced, and really good. And not too strong that I couldn't see myself having more than one - well, aside the from the $8 price tag on the bottle. (709 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Pours a dark reddish color small head and slight lace down the glass.
S: Smell is very strong smokey scent. Smoked cheese/sausages and campfire
T: Taste is very much the same smoked cheddar cheese, a little bit of malty sweetness to balance things out a bit.
M: Medium bodies creamy finish going down...very nice.
D: I wasnt too excited about drinking this as its not really my favorite style however this really grew on me the more I drank of it...a very drinkable beer. (476 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15%

Pours dark brown (little turbidity) with about one inch of light tan head.
Smells of wonderful woodsy smoke with a little malt behind the smoke.
Tastes of full smoke like smoked ham or bacon. The taste is actually reminiscent of cured meat. The malty but fully attenuated character supports the full flavored wood smoke. While smoke is the predominant character here, however, there is a ton of depth behind the smoke.
The mouth feel is full and malty with out a lot of sweetness.
People seem to love or hate this style. I happen to love it. This beer one of (if not) the best in its style. This is the quintessential rauch beer. If you haven't had it, try it.
One quick note on pairing. I would NOT pair this beer with smoked foods (i.e., pulled pork, briscut or cheese)! It is impossible to appreciate the smoke character when paired with smoked foods. I was at the American Royal in KC last year and decided to bring both the Aecht Urbock and Marzen to taste with some smoked pork shoulder a buddy of mine was entering. The shoulder ran roughshod over the beer. The beers both tasted like above average dark German lagers. Just my two cents. (1,146 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15%

I had the store order this special as I have been aching to try a real rauchbier. Poured a dark soda brown color with a very large head with medium retention. The aroma was unlike any brew I have tried before this - so strong and pungent I can smell it while it sits on the desk in front of me. Aroma consisted of a chalky mesquite smoke, reminded me of smoked salmon. Taste was really something else. The smoke flavors were immense, the same smoked fish, with a sweetness like smoked sausage. Also a slight hoppiness, and roasted coffee. I am glad to have tried this, I would have to say this was one of my favorite beers so far to sit down and review. (653 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15%

First sip: a suspicious glance. Second sip: A nod, a smile. Third sip: I'm out the back door scraping last years Salmon off my water smoker so I can brew my very own Rauchbier Marzen.

What a great beer!
Deep amber under nothing; the head was gone in seconds. Nose is smoky-sweet malt and a backyard in Autumn. A draught brings you toasty malts then a beautiful mix of bittering hops and lingering smoke that play off one another and compel another taste. Smooth and absolutely delectable.
What a great beer!

Cheers to VENOM for the sample! (550 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%

I will admit it- I have been afraid of this beer. I am of German extraction, and I love German food, German beer, etc., but the concept of a smoked beer has just scared me. Sometimes an idea can be scary- this is one of them. So I finally bit the bullet on this "best of class" beer, and bought two. Then I let one sit in my fridge for a couple of months while I got up the nerve. I am moving soon, and need to reduce bulk, so here goes.

Pours an unexciting brown with all of nothing for a head. Completely unremarkable.

Aroma- holy hell. This is the exact replica of the finest smoked hard salami & German sausage from when I worked in a deli many many years ago. Pepper and other spices mixed with smoked, cured beef. Wow. I can't believe it- I can do nothing but give this a perfect 5.

Flavor is a smoky, meaty wonderfulness like I haven't tasted in years. As a beer, I'm reluctant to give it 5, because it's so un-beer like. On second thought, it does have some beer qualities- wet, cold, and tasty. 5 it is.

Mouthfeel is relatively thin as most marzens are, so I guess it fits the style. And that's probably ok, because if it was as rich as the sausage it's pretending to be, one would be able to drink an ounce or two, and be done.

This is one incredible beer. Reminds me of my German heritage! (1,316 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%

$8 at Lord Hobo, Somerville MA. 2/3/10. Served in a Radenburger nonic.

Looks like a beautiful marzen: dark amber color and a large white head. The head quickly collars and dies. Smells like a hickory tree campfire. Tastes like a rich and malty marzen with mesquite BBQ flavors. I love this beer. (296 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml - "best Before 01/2014" - 5.1%
A: brown with hints of copper; almost opaque
S: root beer/cola/smoke -- a beautiful combination in balance. Not aggressive smokiness!
T: From beginning to end this beer is in perfect balance. The smokiness is there but so is cola, root beer, and bitterness in the finish. It's not a big, "whack you over the head" kind of beer but one with character and depth. Gorgeous! And I love that it's just 5.1%.
M: medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice.
O: an amazing beer. Like a fine bordeaux rather than a big brooding Shiraz or Zin. So much taste and complexity without being aggressive. A recalibration of my tastebuds. (655 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

thats one smokey aroma. bacon bits, beef jerky, yeah thats the stuff. once the smoke subsides some roast malt and maybe some less assertive chocolate/dark crystal character comes through. make no mistake though, this aroma is all about the smoke.

the taste, while still smokey, is much more balanced and subdued. malt sweetness, check. chocolaty, check. lightly dry finish while the flavor lingers, check. all that and a nice light hop character. a touch of flavor once the beer warms sufficiently, then a dash of bitterness to bring it all together. to be honest, the hops are barely evident and the bitterness could be from the malt. might even be yeast character coming through.

wow, what a beer. quite complex and layered. while its got the smoke down pat, it doesnt stop there. plenty to contemplate while you sip and let the beer warm. seriously enjoyable. (864 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Dark, ruby red with a big creamy looking head that laces nicely. Big bubbles, little bubbles... it's all there.

S - Smoked. Lots and lots of smokiness. Bacon-like with a medicinal twinge.

T - Again, smoked but not woody or oaked or anything. No doubt heavily influenced by aroma, reminds me of bacon bits. A bit of hops in the back cleans up the smokiness nicely and keeps it from getting annoying. Every sip is like the first.

M - Unbelievably creamy. 6/5

D - As delicious as this is, it's way too heavy to be any kind of session brew. A special occasion, show-off-to-your-friends sort of beer. Also,hard to find around here. (642 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla