Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros

tootsMcGee, May 13, 2013

Kyrojack, May 01, 2013

BenA, Feb 02, 2012

PaulBenjamin, May 26, 2013
4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours out to a sparkling clear beautiful garnet with ruby accents, forming a soapy nice-sized light-tan head with good retention and nice lacing. Carbonation is moderate, despite this bottle only having 1/4" of head space. Aroma is wonderful as I've come to expect from this brewery...nice solid smoke tones, but not overwhelming, with a lightly roasted malt balance in tow, and even some hops are discernable. Cleanly fermented. Mouthfeel is lively and very smooth with a clean finish and pleasantly medium-light body. The taste is heaven...The smoke is there, but in exquisite balance with the gentle roastiness and mild residual sweetness of the malts. The finish is crisp and clean with a lingering touch of bitterness floating on the tongue complementing a pleasant wisp of acidity and coffee. Alcohol is imperceptable and there are no off-flavors. This is simply a world-class brew.

This beer is amazing. Rich in complexity, uniquely smoky but with an exceptional drinkability...never off-putting and wonderfully balanced. Ahhhh...happiness.

Mitchster, May 08, 2004
4.93/5  rDev +22%

I first saw this style of beer at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL. As I attempted to pronounce the phlegm inducing, tongue twister of a name I thought to myself, "Smoke beer? Is this going to taste like dear old Grandma Abigail's ashes?" It was nothing like that at all! I slowly poured the rich tawny brew into a pilsener stlye glass (I had never heard of rauchbeir before then so I had no idea what vessel to enjoy it in.) I put my nostril up to the rim and inhaled deeply. Fresh smokey hardwood wafted into my nose. It reminded me of a summer barbeque with weiners on the grill. I took a swig and swished it around my pallet. What a symphony of smoked meat flavoring and faint oak. It was absolutely delectable! I had never experienced anything close to it. Now I live in Gainesville and I am totally craving the Jimmy Dean goodness that is rauchbeir. I have already ordered a case for the liquor store I work at.

Portertime, Apr 08, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours a dark brown, almost black color with a lofty off white head.

It's aroma reminds me of a campfire, there is lots of wood smoke and barbecue, it's a very nice smell.

The taste is almost like hickory smoked bacon, there is a slight metallic flavor but it's not bad.

Feels very smooth and medium bodied with soft, subtle carbonation.

I don't think making a better rauchbier is possible, the smokiness in this beer is amazing and I would love to pair this with some smoked meats.

JMad, Jul 20, 2013