Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,059 | Hads: 2,116
3.76/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A smoked Marzen beer is always an interesting choice, I had to try this one. This pours a medium brown color with a thin head. The aroma has that classic smoked grain smell which always reminds me of bacon. The texture is smooth due to low carbonation. Very unusual flavor not quite sure what to make of this one other than interesting.

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

Nice chestnut brown/coppery color. Low aroma-slight smokey quality. Trace of a caramel/nutty note. Malty flavor with a nice, moderate level of smoke. Touch of hop bitterness to go with it. Good body for a maerzen. Very drinkable beer. My German friend tries to scare me off of the smoke beers as he hates them. I find this quite enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a clear reddish/brown, large tan head that slowly recedes to leave thick lacing. Aroms is strong with smoke, bacon, and some saltiness. Flavor starts of a bit sweet, middle comes the smoke, end is long and lingering with a smoked bacon flavor. Body is medium, fairly slick, minimal carbonation present.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: Deep amber in color, with superb clarity, the head soon collapses to a small scattering of foam, with thin patchy lacing, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Mildly smoky aroma, somewhat like smoked cheese, with toasted malt notes as well.

Taste: Mildly smoky at the open, with an underlying caramel malt, which carries through the taste, along the the smoke notes and a mild hop presence. Finishes with a mild smoky, earthy note.

Mouth feel: Rich, soft, and very pleasing.

Drinkability/notes: Excellent and very drinkable, the smoke notes are somewhat restrained, quite distinctive.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Pours swampy brown. translucent. head dissapears almost completely.

S: Smells like ham! crazy shit. very smokey, hint of honey. malty and sweet. very intresting!

T: very malty and smokey. Lots of charecter and complex flavour. on the finish... tastes like HAM. hammy aftertaste too.

M: thin. watery. light. strong carbontation

D: not sure id want to pound these back.

This is a beer everyone should try. very peculiar. I'd probably buy one or 2 again in the future just for somthing diffrent, but this is definitly not my favorite style.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing from a perspective of this being my first beer of this kind and respecting ALL types of beer, and keeping comparisons within categories. I apologize if this review does not adequately describe the beer from a more seasoned palate.

Initial impression:
-Smell- smoked meat: awkward at first having the smell of smoked meats emanating from a beer glass. Very intriguing. Made me pleasantly anxious to see if taste matched smell

- Taste- Smoked meat! Was unable to adequately decipher all of the complex flavors but the smoked meat is what stands out initially. Not too heavy a beer. Each sip I could only describe as "intriguing". There is more than a smokey meat flavor and smell but it will take further "investigation" for this beginners palate to unravel the intricacies of this beer. Given its history, it is at very least a MUST TRY for any beer lover. It is easy to see how one of these could be enough for a beer drinker, but it is equally easy to see how one could become slave to the uniqueness of this style of beer. I for one have no choice but to delve deeper into the mysteriousness of the flavors and smells of these beers.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

pour is a deep brown with a touch of red hues, bubbly egg-shell head, more than average carbonation.

smell is definite smokey, beef jerky, hickory, just a bit of something sweet in the background, toffee or caramel.

taste is of smoke, smoke, smoke, malt, wood, oily feel, each taste is a little better than the last, it is shocking at first and then as your taste-buds form to the unique taste it mellows out and is quite pleasant.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Served on-draught into a .5l glass at Schlenkerla in Bamberg, Franconia, Germany. Reviewed from notes taken in June 2011 while getting my bier diplom. Expectations were very high; I'd had the Marzen and Eiche before and quite enjoyed them. 5.1% as I had it at the brewery. (See schlenkerla.de)

A: Pours a two finger head of very good cream, nice thickness, and above average retention. Colour is a dark brown-amber.

Sm: Smoke, bacon, roast, and abit of cream. Wonderfully complex. A strong aroma.

T: Wonderful brilliant bacon roast smoke pork taste, with a nice bacon heavy climax. Slight oak tinges. I understand the ash tray jokes from Bamberg locals surrounding this beer (insert badly thought out Holocaust jokes here), but this beer is special and unique. I quite fancy it. Less smokey than baconey. Very complex and balanced. Finish is a bit ashen. The bacon lingers into the aftertaste.

Mf: Nicely dry, especially on the climax. Coarse enough, letting the flavours come through. Complements the flavour quite nicely.

Dr: Nice ABV, great drinkability (albeit very filling), and excellent pricing in spite of the alleged touristy vibe about the brewery. This is so traditional it's unbelievable. My local friends insist half the tenants are local regulars.

High B

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a deep dark brown, with frothy one finger head that recedes slowly to a spotty cap and thick ring, leaving behind a nice webbing of lace.

Smell; this smell's strongly of smoked pork. I also get some caramel malts, with a little sweetness in there.

Taste; interesting smokey flavors that I associate with homemade smoked pork. There's those sweet caramel, and toffee malts that mingles very nicely with the smoked flavors, with just some hints of hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but the drinkability is higher than I was expecting. This is only the second true Rauchbier that I've had, and I can't believe how good it is. I have a couple more different ones to sample, and now i can't wait to try them.

Glass - Tulip

A - Dark brown color with a nice ruby/red hue when held to light. Produced a 1-finger head that dissipated quickly. It didn't leave much lacing, a spot here & there.

S - It almost literally smells like smoked sausage! Very meaty with peppery notes and a bit of dryness. Wow, can't get beneath the big smoky characteristic! I get a bit of charcoal with very mild sweetness, as well as tobacco.

T - Deep smokiness upfront with woody & slightly herbal notes in between. Pretty much like the smell, less meaty though. Finishes with hardy, meaty flavors, some charcoal & mild sweetness.

M - Crisp and a bit thin, around lite bodied I suppose.

D - Well I couldn't say that I could toss back a whole lot of this beer, but I would enjoy a pint or two, especially with some BBQ meat! Very good, I'd like to try others of the style but I'd definitely go for more American craft brews before this one.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A- Dark ruby brown with a one and a half finger head.

S- The same aroma one gets from smoked fish or ham with some underlying malt sweetness.

T- Altough the smoke flavor stays in the forefront it is not overpowering as I would have suspected. Otherwise a pretty soild malt / hop balance.

M- A little on the thin side otherwise good.

D- I would look to pair this with food rather than to drink solo.

Even though not everybody is going to like this bier, the style is worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

I have to say that was looking for a normal Marzen when I bought this one. I had no idea it is a smoked beer.

A- Good deep chocolate hue with a bit of straw to back it up.

S- First thing you notice is the smoky smell. Almost like sitting in your dads backyard while a BBQ is going on.

T- Smoke and a bit more smoke then you realize there is a beer under all that smoke.

M- light lacing with a good amount of carbination.

D- If you are into smoked beers this one is for you. Other then that it is a good beer if you have never had a smoked beer.

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%

A two finger soapy head with some minor lacing is present after pour, above the crystal marone body. Not greatly appetising, but far from upsetting.

Yeasty smoked ham is most evident in the aroma, but I can't help but smell anticeptic through it all, at the start of every sniff. Unfortunately, this ruins this aspect of the brew for me. It reminds me of having cuts on my knees treated with Detol and cotton-buds as a boy.

The taste greatly resembles beef jerky, with a fantastic peppery sausage flavour up front and the smoked flavour quickly following. Upon further investigation, I drift off and imagine myself sitting at an outback barbeque with a selection of meats dripping in caramelised sauces, the rich smell and flavour of campfire smoke and a fine full-body ale in hand. While that smokey taste is quite dominant, it leaves a world of wonder for your tastebuds sitting just behind it. Delicious, absolutely delicious. You can't help but appreciate and marvel at the brewing accomplishment, even if it's not your type of beer.

Carbonation is low, and results in a creamier than expected mouthfeel based on the appearance, even if slightly thinner than my preference - it's actually rather divine due to its almost perfect compliment to this Rauchbier brew's taste characteristics.

All in all I imagined that the smokey flavour may be a bit much, and after just a few initial sips you too might label it a taster and nothing more. However after finishing a bottle, I'm assured by my now adjusted tastebuds that I could quite easily have a few more. It's definately one to try, and once you've warmed to it, quite possibly one you could drink a lot more of.

Highly recommended - a true tasting experience with brew craftsmanship to be awed.

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%

The colour is warm and deep red-brown, the liquid is clear. The beige compact head is two fingers high. Lots of thick lacing.

Fresh smoke and sweet malt dominates the smell. Some meaty roasted notes. Smoked ham and sausages.

As for the taste, if I remember right, the smoke is milder than in the bottled beer, and less of the forest fire notes. Some brown ale-like roasted flavours. Some sweetness, but very weak bitter flavours. There are some hops, but together with the smoke, they rather give sourness than bitterness. The aftertaste brings notes of smoked fish/ham. It is surprisingly short and leaves some salt in the finish.

The carbonation is medium to strong, the bubbles light. The liquid is dry.

OK, this is the Rauchbier others are measured by. Still I think it could gain from a little more hops and forest fire.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear and dark copper with a good head of tan foam that fell slowly to a nice layer on top and persistent lace. This is my first taste of the style and I am very surprised that nose smells just like meat! Ham or bacon. Smoky, salty, charred. It's not what I expected in the beer glass. There's a faint underlying malt sweetness and some hop floral. Taste is a blend of smoke and full malt. It's so darn smooth for what is on the nose. The malt is deep and rich and balances the smoke and char. Little toffee, little bread and finishes with a small hop bitter and almost dry. The smoke flavor fades pretty quickly from the aftertaste and the smoke quality adds to the slight dry finish.

I am glad that for my first try I got one of the best examples of the style. I can't say that I would have it again and I can't even finish the bottle. It's strong but not harsh.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aecht Schlenkerla (although, I swear that k looks like an f!) Rauchbier. 5.1% ABV.

A: About a finger and a half of head. Deep red/dark plum in color. Some slight lacing; most slides off.

S: Oh, wow! I can smell the smokiness right away! It's akin to that of the smoked Gouda (Holland) I got from my work. Meaty/bacon. Black pepper.

T/MF: Fairly smooth on the palate. Has an off peppered bologna/sausage flavor, with a light rye taste on the back. Again, reminiscent of the skin on smoked Gouda.

This is quite weird, to me. The aroma is quite nice, but the taste is not something I would want in a beer. Very likely needs a food pairing. Maybe some heavy German breads...

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

This is my first review, and also my first taste of this style beer, so take it with a grain of salt. Poured from a bottle into a 1 pint beer stein.

Very dark mahogany-brown color with a thick yellow/tan head. The head hangs around for maybe three minutes before receding and leaving some decent lacing.

The smell is strong and smokey. It actually smells like some kind of smoked cheese, which is offputting at first, but it grows on me.

It has a very strong smokey/chickory flavor which is almost too much at first, but it mellows. The aftertaste is slightly sweet and malty and is very nice.

Just the right amount of carbonation, not too blatant but gives it a nice little sharpness. It's got a nice smooth texture which is almost buttery, but I know that's not quite the right word.

Fairly easygoing and drinkable with a low ABV at 5.1%, although the beer is not something I would pick for a session. I would drink this again, and would be curious to see how it pairs with food.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a clear ruddy black with a nice, light tan head that dies down and gets splotchy. It laces in a similarly spotty fashion.

It smells like Pat Nixons' ashtray and a lead pipe at first, but both of these aromas slowly fade as the head dies down. It's woody, also, and the malt sweetness is a bit of a wallflower.

It tastes like freshly squeezed cross country ski wax, but when the palate acclimates to the smoky, peaty flavors, some nice sweet malt and a hit of noble hops and metallic bitterness kick in to play. There's an overall dryness form start to finish. The mouthfeel is a little light bodied, which seems underdone for such rich smoky flavors, but probably makes the smokiness more bearable.

Overall I'm surprised. I'm not a fan of smokiness and yet I kind of really dig this beer. Huh.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a three inch, rocky offwhite head that dissipates slowly leaving thick lacing. Pours a dark brown and leaves a few lines of short-lasting lacing.

Smell: Some smoke and toast. Subtle, mild smell. Some bland maltiness underneath the smoke.

Taste: Follows the nose. Smooth bland lager then tons of campfire / wood burning stove smoke that's savory and complex, lasting into a long, surprisingly dry finish. The smoke is bold but not palate wrecking or mouthcoating or anything; for such a strong flavor, it's quite delicate.

While the non-smoke flavors unfortunately don't get past bland, white-bread maltiness, the smoke develops quite a bit; there's charcoal, ash, burnt bacon, and more. The other aspects of the beer don't "fail to stand up to the smoke," but rather are just 1-dimensional to begin with. White bread and a hint of lager-y tartness. Some bitterness would really set this beer off.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied, but with some creaminess. Unexpectedly (and unwelcomely) dry finish. Too low carbonation.

Overall: Nice flavor. While on its own there's a lot of things that leave me a bit unsatisfied, the beer earns an extra point in "Overall" for how well it pairs with food. If this were "Pairing-food-with-beer-advocate," this one would get an easy 5.

I generally don't like to drink beer while I eat, but I had a hunch that this would pair well with a veggie burger (w/ onions, mustard, ketchup, salt, pepper, tomatoes, garlic powder) and vegetable soup (lots of salt, herbs, freshly cracked black pepper). My hunch was right. If you're looking for a beer to drink with burgers and/or aggressively seasoned soups, look no further. The delicate flavors in this beer don't just stand up to salt and spices, they beautifully compliment them while themselves getting more intense.

I can't think of a better beer for a barbecue. Pairs amazingly.

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a thin bone-white head that gets thinner quick, reducing to a dishsoap-like layer. Lots of thin, lovely lace, and the color is a dark brown that can just barely be seen through.

Authentic smoke in the aroma, reminds of heavily smoked gouda, also has a nice woody element. Nothing over-the-top, but like many of its kind, it's pretty hard to pick out other characteristics/ingredients.

Not the most demanding smoked beer, flavor-wise, and that's good. Light touches of anise, dark fruits and maple barely get through, but as with the aroma, it's tough to discern much beyond the spotlighted smokiness.

The low-ish carbonation gives a smooth feel to the beer, offsetting the relative heaviness of the flavor; but it veers too much toward the watery side for my taste.

Drinkability? It's a rauchbier. An occasional indulgence at best, but an enjoyable one when you do go there.

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Deep dark brown but not black. 3 finger head. Looks great.

S: Heavy Bacon, oak, salty, smoked wood. Campfire.

T: Bacony smokey craziness. Aftertaste is hugely flavorful. Subtle malty juiciness upfront due to marzan with smoked aftertaste.

M: A little thin. Not too carbonated.

O: The aroma is so overpowering it almost makes you not want to drink more. But when you force yourself to drink more its amazing. Like it for the experience but hate it for more than a once a year beer.

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

This brew is like drinking beef jerky, incredible!

Pours a dark hazy brown in color with a thin tan head. Nose is incredible! Full of smoke and bread! Taste of course follows suit naturally, completely overwhelms my tastebuds. There is a decent malt backbone to it as well, slightly sweet, but the smoke of course is the primary player here. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but decent, could use a little more body. Drinkability is average, while this is interesting, I coulsn't drink more than a pint of it. This brew is definatly something you need to be in the mood for.

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

This was poured into a Weihenstephan glass with about two and a half fingers of light tan head atop a black body. It smells very strongly of smoke with some malts seeping through. Upon tasting, I find the smoke very bacon-like but it's all I can taste! I nice moderate-bodied beer with low-med carbonation I can't drink one after another. Quite tasty though. I like Schlenkerla's helles lagerbier better, because of the lighter smoked flavour, I can taste other parts of the beer better.

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

I could smell the embers immediately upon opening. Wow! Super smoky and much more than the Weizen I tried recently. Dark and brown reminds me of a glass of coke with the ice melted. Same exact color. Short fluffy head but dissapears quickly. Taste is smoky, malty and sweet. I can't find any hops in this one. Again, aroma is real smoky like a smoked bacon or beef. I like this beer but I also am a fan of smoked foods. You'll most likely have to be in order to appreciate this style.

3.71/5  rDev -8.6%

500ml bottle from the LCBO, pours a dark amber with 2 fingers of foamy tan head that gently recedes to a collar and leaves some lacing.

A distinctive smoke cured bacon drifts up immediately on the pour, overwhelming everything else. Upon deeper investigation some caramel fruity marzen can be dug up.

The smoke dominates the flavor as well but not to the unbalanced extent of the nose. Smoke cured meat, a bit of an ashy campfire quality to it, as it progresses through the mouth it melds into a caramel, fruity marzen base and a faint hop bite in the finish. Body seems a bit thin, especially noted in the finish.

Pretty smoky but I guess that's the style. Would love to have this next to a nice chili or even in it. Hard to imagine drinking pints of it though, the smokiness would just be too much.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla